• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
I hate all you scrubby Perth smashers so I'll push the date back ANOTHER week.

Just kidding. Much <3 for everyone. I'm pushing it back again because I have a 21st to go to on the 29th.

Vlade

Social Outcast
lol so it's officially on the 6th of December? Awesome. I've finished school by then so no pressure in me not going.

Oh and Andre, do you know if eric's gonna be coming? I wouldn't mind grabbing the vids from the last tourney where we had matches recorded.

Richard7

Smash Ace
No progress on finding a main, at all. I don't think i've played since the last tournament. I really should hurry up and find a main lol.

EDIT: (in response to Vlade's question) It is my understanding that Eric will most probably not be going to anymore tournaments.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Aww what a shame that eric may not be coming anymore.

I've recently picked up diddy and started learning him as a secondary, but yeah he certainly is very flashy when played the right way. I think wario is very versatile and you seem to win quite a lot with him :p Lucario is also the master of come-backs with his aura, and has some cool combos.

IMO, you should main wario.

Muzga

Smash Ace
no! richard you should main godot!
Ill ask eric if he wants to come on the 6th.
We get together to play poker on a biweekly basis, 5 dollars a pop, winner takes all.
So i see him every so often, if not online ill get the chance to talk to him soon.

Richard7

Smash Ace
Man...... I have a lot of potential in this game, but because I don't have a main, don't know how to edgeguard, don't know how to edgehog ect ect, I suck. I've been versing Sam heaps in the past 2 days, (I play as Wario most of the time, doesn't change much.) I get close to beating him even though I can't do the stuff listed above. I really need to learn this stuff.

There's so much important stuff I don't know. I've said this before, but yeah, I reackon if I knew all this stuff, i'd beat Sam.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Edgeguarding: In brawl for decent edgeguarding you have to be off-stage. Wario's fair is a nice wall of pain if your opponent is on low %, so use it for extra damage. Nair is your gimp move, popping them back out. Try and keep the nair fresh for edgeguarding. I've also noticed that whenver you play wario at the tourneys, you always let the fart fully charge. The fart actually has the most knockback and killing power after 55 secs, and you aren't glowing brown at this point. So often your opponent won't be expecting a fart at this point. The fart is also a hilarious edgeguarding move, and if its been charged for 55-1:29 then it usually kills. Wario is very aggressive off-stage, so abuse that.

Edgehogging: Just dash/walk off the stage and DI towards the edge. Your character should hog the edge.

I'm rooting for you to beat sam! I've been wanting vids to observe my play against him to point out flaws in my game, so hopefully the next tourney is recorded.

Richard7

Smash Ace
There are other things that I also don't know how to do. Acording to Sam, I don't know how to DI. I always thought that you just held the control stick in the oposite direction you get hit. eg, get hit up, hold control stick down. Get hit to the left, hold control stick right.

Just thinking of anything else I don't know....... Oh. Counterpicking stages. Since I don't have a main, I also don't know what stages are good for my character, which is basically counterpicking.

I think there's one or two more important things that I don't know how to do.

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
The very basics of DI: hold away during "combos" (lol brawl <_<) and towards on KO moves. There are a ton of other factors you need to consider with DI such as how far away the kill zones are, what DI will put you in the most advantageous position (platforms for cover, punishing them etc), what could they follow up with if you DI a certain way and SDI to get out of multi-hit moves.

Counterpicking is essentially very simple since the main factors are quite obvious. Which stages give you the best advantages, least disadvantages while screwing your opponents character over and bringing out their weaknesses. You also need to take into consideration how well the player knows the stage, how well they can adapt and if they have the possibility of changing characters. You just need to put a bit of thought into your choices and practice the stages that you feel can give you strong advantages in matchups.

For edgeguarding there is no set routine for any character. Everyone has some cool/flashy edgeguard they can pull out but you need to focus on practicality. An example of this would be edgeguarding with TL's dair. It is very strong, risky (which gives it the flashy factor if you land it >.>) and just feels awesome when you pull it off. But you would be better off harassing with projectiles and baiting the opponent into a position where you can punish easliy. There is virtually no risk, you are nearly guaranteed to at least get some damage in a worst case scenario and it puts pressure on the recovering opponent and forces them to rethink their best options for recovering. Abusing invincibility from grabbing the edge is also another staple of good edgeguarding.

Hope that helps. =)

Vlade

Social Outcast
IMO wario's best counterpick would probably be rainbow cruise. It brings out the best of his aerial mobility, his insane DI and, of course, his aerial combat. But of course you don't wanna be picking that against Dedede because he gets a semi infinite on the boat and some walk-offs for easy chaingrabbing to death.

So often you should have a second counterpick against characters that may beat you on your normal counterpick stage. For example, I main falco and my normal counterpick stage is Jungle Japes. However I'd probably get beaten there by ROB because I can't chaingrab him or spike him into the water because he can easily survive, so against ROB I would probably either go battlefield or Final Destination.

So yes like Niv said it's important to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of your character and the opponent's character, and pick a stage that caters.

Edit: Wario's best neutral stage would probably be battlefield because he dominates the platforms with his aerial movement, quick attacks and his rising bite. So try and get it as your neutral stage and keep it as a secondary counterpick.

Edit 2: I was looking at the wario weekly stage discussion thread, which can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182253

I saw that Japes was also a very good stage for wario, particularly with his bite into the water. Have a read of the thread, but remember not to pick Japes against me when I play falco ;)

Richard7

Smash Ace
I appreciate the responses, but I don't know what some things mean. What is "rising bite"? What does "dominate platforms" mean exactly? I'm sorry if some of these things are obvious, but I just don't know what they are. What to actually do to edgeguard is quite obvious, but pulling it off is another thing, especially against Sam.

I don't exactly know how a stage can give you advantages or disadvantages. (Besides stages that have hazards) I think maybe i'm just a dumb person. :)

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Rising bite - using bite right after jumping. You rise in the air with the bite hitbox.

What Vlade means by dominating platforms is abusing your good aerials to control the options your opponent has when he is on a platform above you or is about to land on it. You can short hop and poke at them with an uair while you remain relatively safe.

Stages play a huge part in many matchups. Falco is amazing on FD and Japes because it allows him to utilise his laser spam and can rack up good damage with chaingrabbing. ROB and MK are great on Rainbow Cruise because they have great aerial movement which allows them to keep up with the stage while dealing damage. Snake can have a lot of trouble here if he does not control the stage. Snake's laggy and predictable aerials will hurt him a lot because he won't be in a position to control your movement without mines/C4/nades.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Hmm I can't exactly explain how to pull off edgeguarding, that all comes with experience (and you've got more than me lol). Basically you just have to wait for the right moment by observing your opponent's recovery.

Rising bite is basically a ledge-hopped or double-jumped (niv's description is much better) bite. Dominating platforms means to take advantage of them, usually from underneath or through mobility.

But really you're better than me at this game, once you've learnt all the theory and start applying it you'll become a much better player in no time. I suggest reading guides etc on the wario forums and do some reading on the tactical discussion section.

EDIT: Lol niv beat me to it, although he explained things much better.

Maoriz

Smash Rookie
hey niv, please put Maoriz and Vnzo down for brawl singles, and they will also team for brawl doubles.

Muzga

Smash Ace
okay ive spoken to eric about the videos. i think he still needs to encode half of the videos, dont put it past him though since hes been busy with uni exams and stuff.because hes on holidays i'll be seeinghim more often though so i will endeavour to get those new videos for you.

oh, by the way, how many of you would be interested in a pokemon diamond/pearl tourny on the same day as a brawl tourny?

Vlade

Social Outcast
Pokemon tourney? Count me in if there's time! But it would have to be via wifi so that we're all equal levels (imo).

Thanks for the updates about the videos.

Muzga

Smash Ace
because i think a pokemon tournament would also have a chance of boosting brawl tournament entries a bit too. plus it gives me a second chance to win money, and samuel dislikes pokemon.

which means its anyones game really:p
something fresh and new as opposed to giving samuel money outright.
im willing to try this out once, if it works out and we get more people, it could help one scene while creating another one.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Sounds like it's a win-win situation. I'll bring my DS along in that case.
Oh and Muzga, Steve might not be coming to the tourney so I was wondering if you wanted to team up if eric doesn't come?

Jupz

Smash Master
hey guys im Jupz. i live north of the river in carine/duncraig. most you you guys seem to be below the river. im 15 years old. i use king dedede but i practice with many others such as marth, falco, olimar ike, and snake. i normally like to play very aggressive with most characters and a mixture with DDD. I'm fairly good but no pro, and I thought no one else in perth besides me and my friends played and were good lol. My friend uses diddy kong and almost everyone lol.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Yeh I realised that too lol. Unfortunately we can't change it because we aren't the original posters of the thread. Only Bringer or any other mod can change it (I think).

Anyway does a $5 MM sound good?

Richard7

Smash Ace
Well i'm VERY picky when it comes to money. I don't have a job (yet). I'm basically only gonna MM when i'm VERY confident in winning :laugh:

It'd also be hard for me to MM, I don't have any coins, I only got like $50 bills and $20s. But i'll see what I can do.

As for the thread name change. *Whistles* Oh Mic!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It usually alternates between Mandurah/Rockingham and by Wanaroo (sp) which is north of the river.

Muzga

Smash Ace
Ive decided that im going to come to the tournament. i havent decided whether im quite prepared to hand samuel my money just yet though, i may just pop in for a few moneymatches.

Naw just kidding! im coming:p

Brawl singles and doubles, here i come:p

Vlade

Social Outcast
So what should the rules be for our MM (if you plan to go ahead with it)?

I reckon it should be just like a tourney match, with first game on neutral stage, then the next 2 (if applicable) are counterpicks.

Top Bottom