• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VOTE: Team Real or Team Fake on the Grinch Leak

Team real or fake on Snapchat leak?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Mmmm... Even if he is meant to wholly represent Warioware, which he looks to be, the general public would group him in with Mario. His name is Wario and the outfit I'm sure 98% of people visualize when they hear his name is that of a yellow Mario. I'd say his addition counts as a Mario addition, I think.
Well, our opinions ultimately aren't the ones that count. Sakurai listed him separately. And he doesn't have Yoshi's excuse of most of the first game's cast getting their own symbols.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I mean I'd totally be down for a fleshed out Excitebiker, but I could see this being a one or the other situation. How about a crazy quartet that swaps between 1080 Snowboarder, Excitebiker, Pro Wrestler, and Wave Racer?
:laugh::laugh::laugh: That would be amazing. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that picking Mach Rider over Excitebiker would be a Sakurai thing to do. Not saying it's a downright terrible choice, but doesn't seem like an impossible occurrence. This whole leaks is kind of Sakurai choices: Banjo over Steve, because while Microsoft would've probably wanted the more marketable character Sakurai would choose the fan favorite; Mach Rider over Excitebiker, already discussed that; Chrous Kids coming back as they were previously cut... It's looking more and more real, whether I like it or not

On another note, personally I don't believe the post that guessed these 7 characters, because I honestly doubt Ray was ever even considered for the game, no offense to his fans. His popularity doesn't compare to other abandoned Nintendo series like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Chibi-Robo (if you consider that abandoned), or even Excitebike. Plus I don't think Sakurai would've had the heart to cut Dixie for a second time. I have a feeling he'd try to throw her in as a last minute echo, unless she's saving him for DLC.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
:laugh::laugh::laugh: That would be amazing. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that picking Mach Rider over Excitebiker would be a Sakurai thing to do. Not saying it's a downright terrible choice, but doesn't seem like an impossible occurrence. This whole leaks is kind of Sakurai choices: Banjo over Steve, because while Microsoft would've probably wanted the more marketable character Sakurai would choose the fan favorite; Mach Rider over Excitebiker, already discussed that; Chrous Kids coming back as they were previously cut... It's looking more and more real, whether I like it or not

On another note, personally I don't believe the post that guessed these 7 characters, because I honestly doubt Ray was ever even considered for the game, no offense to his fans. His popularity doesn't compare to other abandoned Nintendo series like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Chibi-Robo (if you consider that abandoned), or even Excitebike. Plus I don't think Sakurai would've had the heart to cut Dixie for a second time. I have a feeling he'd try to throw her in as a last minute echo, unless she's saving him for DLC.
I always thought Ray could make an interesting moveset. Excitebike 64 was really good, Excitetruck was decent and so was Excitebots, but I feel like a return to form might be in order for the franchise. Mach Rider, though, is blue water for Nintendo. They could revive that IP and turn it into a new regular franchise if Sakurai handles the character right.

I've always wanted Andy from Advance Wars marshalling little units in the Battallion Wars style as a Pokemon Trainer-esque mechanic.

The odama should be an item.

And I'm astonished Chibi Robo hasn't made it yet. He seems like such a good fit for Sakurai. GameCube game was an unsung classic. Handheld iterations have been eh.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Dan Dan
I don't feel the need to introduce seven more characters. The only reason why I'd want this leak to be real is because of Mach Rider. The game was obscure and I was just a child at the time. Hearing the theme on Big Blue in SSBM was pretty cool, as was seeing the trophy. Hell, it'd be cool if Mach Rider's death animation in SSB was him blowing up in pieces like in the game. Of course, his body reconstituting was odd, yet cool. But if I could have seven characters of my choice . . .

Apollo (XEXYZ)
Toby Masuyo (Baraduke; she's the first female protagonist in gaming history, not Samus)
Johnny Slater (Hybrid Heaven)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Black Shadow (F-Zero)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Porky Minch (Mother)

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Well, our opinions ultimately aren't the ones that count. Sakurai listed him separately. And he doesn't have Yoshi's excuse of most of the first game's cast getting their own symbols.
There has been zero sign that anyone working on the smash roster takes series representation into account, so it is a moot point anyway

I didn't actually read the context of the conversation until just now

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
isaacfoot.jpg
isaacfootbanjo.jpg

Looks like Big Foot is getting in on the leaks now. Picture is blurry cause raisins and the black lines around Isaac are cause of changes cause things change.
Edit- Banjo fit Big Foot too well to not do.
(To note, this took like 5-10 minutes with me not being familiar with the tools and having to look up the images before throwing it together in GIMP. First leak image was too small. Then I looked for one without the outlines but gave up fast.)

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
There has been zero sign that anyone working on the smash roster takes series representation into account, so it is a moot point anyway

I didn't actually read the context of the conversation until just now
Not entirely. Sakurai has mentioned not wanting to do too much Mario, but you'd think that should apply to Pokemon as well. Either way, it should be entirely possible for Pokemon to go without a newcomer. If even Mario's reputation does not guarantee a newcomer, neither should Pokemon's.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Just curious, can you change the title from Snapchat leak to Grinch leak? Whenever I see "Snapchat leak," I think there was a separate leak entirely.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, can you change the title from Snapchat leak to Grinch leak? Whenever I see "Snapchat leak," I think there was a separate leak entirely.
Done. Yeah, I thought this to myself earlier today as well. When I first posted it, the name was still emerging.

Sprintle

Smash Rookie
I personally am leaning toward Team Real.

I don't think "too good to be true" is necessarily a good argument. If someone posted a leak a year ago about Smash 5 having every character return and that Ridley and K. Rool would be playable, I would dismiss it instantly. Having all those fan-requested characters in the leaked final roster might seem suspicious, but not out of the realm of possibility. Sakurai wants to make this the best Smash game ever.

But it seems like people these days are very eager to put a huge amount of effort into a fake leak to get attention, so I don't know. We'll see in a month or so.

If it is real, I'm very satisfied with the final roster. Banjo was the only character left that I was really hoping got in (other than Skull Kid).

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I personally am leaning toward Team Real.

I don't think "too good to be true" is necessarily a good argument. If someone posted a leak a year ago about Smash 5 having every character return and that Ridley and K. Rool would be playable, I would dismiss it instantly. Having all those fan-requested characters in the leaked final roster might seem suspicious, but not out of the realm of possibility. Sakurai wants to make this the best Smash game ever.

But it seems like people these days are very eager to put a huge amount of effort into a fake leak to get attention, so I don't know. We'll see in a month or so.

If it is real, I'm very satisfied with the final roster. Banjo was the only character left that I was really hoping got in (other than Skull Kid).
Yeah, "too good to be true" stopped being a good argument a couple months ago

Dan

Smash Lord
Snapchat. It has notoriously terrible quality because all it does is take a screenshot of your screen. It doesn't actually use the phone camera to take photos.
Not to mention it was taken from a distance at an angle, rotated and zoomed in.

Dan

Smash Lord
I hope it's real not only cause the roster is awesome (though I'd swap Isabelle and Chorus Kids with Dixie and Bandana Dee), but to prove all the skeptics with BS reasoning; obviously we can't prove it's real (and some YouTubers like Artsy Omni actually have good points against it).

Get the "too good to be true" and picture quality BS out of here: any character can be in the game as long as they originated from a game (and all these choices are tame compared to the impossible like Cloud, or the WTF like WFT), and the picture quality is such a moot point considering the circumstances surrounding the entire leak.

Like I literally do not understand people; the reveals started off with Ridley and K. Rool, but Banjo and Geno are hard to believe? If this indeed the end, I think the reveals should've went in the opposite order, imo.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Team Real

1 - I think this is too hard to fake. All of the moving parts, the changes made, etc. It's all overwhelming.

2 - The little details are things that you don't normally see in a leak like this, and new details have come out over time.

Bonus: We got Every Returning fighter. We got Ridley and K Rool as well. Nothing is beyond Sakurai's grasp.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
remember sakurai said he used the ballet this time for determining the characters

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
remember sakurai said he used the ballet this time for determining the characters
Did he say that? I remember him saying characters like Ridley, K Rool, Dark Samus, and Chrom were highly requested but I don't remember him every bringing up the smash 4 ballot. It's pretty obvious he's referring to that ballot but that is fan speculation.

Dan

Smash Lord
I almost 100% remember him saying the ballot was a reference for this game (which is why Bayonetta was decided on way before the ballot)...

Geno - ballot
Isaac - ballot
Shadow - probably ballot
Ken - no one cares about him
Banjo - ballot
Mach Rider - token retro rep (I personally like him)
Chorus Kids - selfish Sakurai pick

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don’t wanna admit that it’s almost undeniably real, but.. it’s loooking to be undeniably real. I was always on the ‘**** fake leaks **** Vergeben **** all this fake news’ mindset, but THIS... yeah, am not gonna fool myself. Besides, I like most choices except Shadow. Shame that Impa and Dixie aren’t on this but I could manage with these choices specially because of Isaac and Banjo. Know what? I’ll also vote real.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I might wanna reiterate on what I wrote earlier, thinking its fake.
After a few days, it's STILL not debunked (when leaks are usually debunked in mere hours) and the appearance of what seems to be a Golden Sun item in official footage just lends more credibility. I'm kinda feeling more like its real now.

At the very least, I'm hoping it is real, the remaining characters are a really good balance of things:
-2 most popular Echo Fighter picks
-2 niche characters from series with cult followings
-2 extremely popular characters highly associated with Nintendo, but not appearing on their systems due to ownership rights
-1 outta left field retro character that could be really interesting, depending on how they are implemented

This is just a really good and balanced list, ON TOP of all the great stuff we've gotten already!

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I don’t wanna admit that it’s almost undeniably real, but.. it’s loooking to be undeniably real. I was always on the ‘**** fake leaks **** Vergeben **** all this fake news’ mindset, but THIS... yeah, am not gonna fool myself. Besides, I like most choices except Shadow. Shame that Impa and Dixie aren’t on this but I could manage with these choices specially because of Isaac and Banjo. Know what? I’ll also vote real.
Completely agree with you, it's too bad Dixie and Impa didn't make it because those two are also in my top 5 most wanted, but in all honesty this is about as good as it'll probably get. I never believed any of the other fake leaks or Vergeben or any of that, but I too will not play dumb and must admit this is most likely real. Just too bad it had to get leaked, I would've rather found out about it organically but nowadays if something happens in the Smash community, it's almost impossible for me to not find out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Completely agree with you, it's too bad Dixie and Impa didn't make it because those two are also in my top 5 most wanted, but in all honesty this is about as good as it'll probably get. I never believed any of the other fake leaks or Vergeben or any of that, but I too will not play dumb and must admit this is most likely real. Just too bad it had to get leaked, I would've rather found out about it organically but nowadays if something happens in the Smash community, it's almost impossible for me to not find out.
Exactly this. Am 75% convinced at this moment. Only thing that holds this leak down is Sakurai’s own statements of a slowdown of character reveals. Because all those nes faces what are left are just about the same amount of what is left. We could’ve EASILY afforded to have gotten a newcomer reveal in October, but we didn’t. I somehow have a hard time to believe that all these characters are gonna be showcased in less than a month and a half time...

Impa and Dixie are still good to expect for DLC however, or at the very least the next game.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I’ll just throw this out there. I like the Grinch as a Smash-centric meme much more than appropriating Shrek from the MLG-Doritos-and-Mountain-Dew dorks. I seriously hope it sticks :)

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Exactly this. Am 75% convinced at this moment. Only thing that holds this leak down is Sakurai’s own statements of a slowdown of character reveals. Because all those nes faces what are left are just about the same amount of what is left. We could’ve EASILY afforded to have gotten a newcomer reveal in October, but we didn’t. I somehow have a hard time to believe that all these characters are gonna be showcased in less than a month and a half time...

Impa and Dixie are still good to expect for DLC however, or at the very least the next game.
Agreed; the fact we've been in such a drought that if this is indeed the end, I don't get why it wasn't split into a Direct per month. Seems kinda selfish, and karmic that it leaked.

I almost 100% remember him saying the ballot was a reference for this game (which is why Bayonetta was decided on way before the ballot)...

Geno - ballot
Isaac - ballot
Shadow - probably ballot
Ken - no one cares about him
Banjo - ballot
Mach Rider - token retro rep (I personally like him)
Chorus Kids - selfish Sakurai pick
I’m sorry but who gives a **** about Chorus Kids? Over Ken? Lol

Luigi is Ken’s spiritual echo fighter.

Dan

Smash Lord

Da fuq are you talking about?

Sakurai gives a **** about Chorus Kids, and everyone's just accepted Ken since he's been the most leaked character.

ABalloon

Smash Cadet
NNID
pizzzzzzzaaaaaaa
I personally, say I'm very skeptical. TCK getting in smash bros is just dumb. Karate Joe has a better chance. Sakurai really loves retro, so I'm not going to be shocked out of my mind for Mach Rider, I guess you can say I'm only excited for Issac. Nonetheless, people should be surprised about the limits people would go to get attention on the Internet. This whole thing isn't new and compared to other stuff, this isn't even extreme.

So honestly, I can see a few from the "leak", and the rest no, nope, nah.
Can someone give me a legit reason why if Sakurai wanted Mach Rider so bad, why couldn't he put her (or Him, I've heard MR get called both genders) in Brawl or SSB4? Why is it that Ultimate, MR is all of a sudden in?

TCK is a meme to me. What would be they're moveset? It just sounds so dumb. I'd take Incineroar rather than them.

I love how NOONE talks about Ken. RIP

Shadow is in the game? Great Sonic echo, like we needed any more of them..

ABalloon

Smash Cadet
NNID
pizzzzzzzaaaaaaa

LOL Right after I was typing my post. But yeah Ken >>>>> TCK

Sakurai gives a **** about Chorus Kids, and everyone's just accepted Ken since he's been the most leaked character.
What? When did Sakurai want TCK? I swear I don't know why and what is special about them, that they're so wanted?

Last edited:

Chorus kids are trash, bro. That’s my opinion, I never said anything about what Sakurai wanted because he could put Vladimir Putin in the game if he wanted to so miss me with that.

Don’t say everyone. I love Ken. I love Street Fighter. Hell, I bet he’ll be the most diverse echo fighter out of the bunch, assuming that he is one.

But as far as this link is concerned. I can believe it’s real. The game is close to release and **** like this tends to happen.

But that blurry photo bull **** doesn’t fly. I don’t care how Blurry a photo can look through a screen capture, but most phones these days are equipped with high OLED cameras that display a great amount of information. My iPhone SE can take amazing pictures. Not to mention, if this person took a picture, he can just zoom in and take another screen shot. I just don’t feel this camera ****.

Someone brought up a picture of bomberman that was photoshopped, too. But it was also of great quality, and mirrored the official artwork very well. People can photoshop very well over the net to be honest.

My final verdict though? I don’t care. I just want to play the game. Holler at me when some non-demo footage comes out.

Dan

Smash Lord
What? When did Sakurai want TCK? I swear I don't know why and what is special about them, that they're so wanted?
It's a scrapped Smash 4 character; we'll have to wait for one of his blogs to talk about why he wanted the character. He probably likes the idea of like 4 characters being active at the same time, and would just be an extension of Ice Climbers/Olimar. Who knows how it would work.

Chorus kids are trash, bro. That’s my opinion, I never said anything about what Sakurai wanted because he could put Vladimir Putin in the game if he wanted to so miss me with that.

Don’t say everyone. I love Ken. I love Street Fighter. Hell, I bet he’ll be the most diverse echo fighter out of the bunch, assuming that he is one.

But as far as this link is concerned. I can believe it’s real. The game is close to release and **** like this tends to happen.

But that blurry photo bull **** doesn’t fly. I don’t care how Blurry a photo can look through a screen capture, but most phones these days are equipped with high OLED cameras that display a great amount of information. My iPhone SE can take amazing pictures. Not to mention, if this person took a picture, he can just zoom in and take another screen shot. I just don’t feel this camera ****.

Someone brought up a picture of bomberman that was photoshopped, too. But it was also of great quality, and mirrored the official artwork very well. People can photoshop very well over the net to be honest.

My final verdict though? I don’t care. I just want to play the game. Holler at me when some non-demo footage comes out.
lol, I agree with your post. The image was taken via Snapchat from a distance and then zoomed in, explaining the ****ty quality; we can't even confirm if it was meant to get out to the public (and evidence points to it wasn't since they were quickly trying to remove the images). It's not like this guy was tasked with taking a perfect picture of the mural.

I personally, say I'm very skeptical. TCK getting in smash bros is just dumb. Karate Joe has a better chance. Sakurai really loves retro, so I'm not going to be shocked out of my mind for Mach Rider, I guess you can say I'm only excited for Issac. Nonetheless, people should be surprised about the limits people would go to get attention on the Internet. This whole thing isn't new and compared to other stuff, this isn't even extreme.

So honestly, I can see a few from the "leak", and the rest no, nope, nah.
Can someone give me a legit reason why if Sakurai wanted Mach Rider so bad, why couldn't he put her (or Him, I've heard MR get called both genders) in Brawl or SSB4? Why is it that Ultimate, MR is all of a sudden in?

TCK is a meme to me. What would be they're moveset? It just sounds so dumb. I'd take Incineroar rather than them.

I love how NOONE talks about Ken. RIP

Shadow is in the game? Great Sonic echo, like we needed any more of them..
Bro I LOVE that ken is in this game. I have so many theories!

He could have his SM, SH, target combo in the game

Multi hit tatsu

True input Tatsu could be the rising one from MvC with the axe kick at the end

Aerial Hadouken could be the fast low angled one from X-men vs Street Fighter, could work some short hop hadouken shenanigans.

His Shoryuken is the most interesting. A true input light shoryuken could be a low knockback move with heavy stun, so it can combo into another Shoryuken or series of light inputs, just like in his game

I would like to see Shippu Jirai Kyaku implemented in his move set somewhere.

His medium can chain into his forward medium axe kick over head like in third strike.

Tastu in the air can possibly accelerate him downwards on an opponent and cross up or link into a grounded string.

His true input aerial tatsu can even be the five kick from Street Fighter V. Since you can cancel specials from aerials in this game his jumping HK > Tatsu can work like in street fighter II

If he has his jumping medium kick as an aerial it will probably be one of the stronger shield cross ups in the game, especially since you can run past shielding opponents now. He could probably have separate inputs, like how if you tap the button lightly you get a different move, it can function like that for Ken in the air, at least for his Medium Kick.

Man I wish more people here played traditional fighters.

ABalloon

Smash Cadet
NNID
pizzzzzzzaaaaaaa
Bro I LOVE that ken is in this game. I have so many theories!

He could have his SM, SH, target combo in the game

Multi hit tatsu

True input Tatsu could be the rising one from MvC with the axe kick at the end

Aerial Hadouken could be the fast low angled one from X-men vs Street Fighter, could work some short hop hadouken shenanigans.

His Shoryuken is the most interesting. A true input light shoryuken could be a low knockback move with heavy stun, so it can combo into another Shoryuken or series of light inputs, just like in his game

I would like to see Shippu Jirai Kyaku implemented in his move set somewhere.

His medium can chain into his forward medium axe kick over head like in third strike.

Tastu in the air can possibly accelerate him downwards on an opponent and cross up or link into a grounded string.

His true input aerial tatsu can even be the five kick from Street Fighter V. Since you can cancel specials from aerials in this game his jumping HK > Tatsu can work like in street fighter II

If he has his jumping medium kick as an aerial it will probably be one of the stronger shield cross ups in the game, especially since you can run past shielding opponents now. He could probably have separate inputs, like how if you tap the button lightly you get a different move, it can function like that for Ken in the air, at least for his Medium Kick.

Man I wish more people here played traditional fighters.
Haha, yeah I was kinda surprised I didn't see any Ken fans come out. I guess you guys ARE here, just trying to survive the Isaac and Banjo tsunami
Ryu was already fun as hell in 4, so I'm not gonna lie and say I'm pretty hyped for Ken. He doesn't HAVE to be much of a echo, I'd say kinda like Isabelle and Villager. He shares moves with Ryu, but not much to be called a Echo (I'm only saying this because, I want another SF rep that isn't a echo hehe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom