• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VOTE: Team Real or Team Fake on the Grinch Leak

Team real or fake on Snapchat leak?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
A bit dramatic and demeaning to the poster?

Maybe you're not as Team Real as you think you are if some nobody on Twitter gets your jammies ruffled up?

There's no concrete evidence for or against it. The only true part of it all is that it would of taken someone with some GA and marketing training (there's a lot of those people now) to mock this up or have access to it.
The only thing that is true is that many of his points can be debunked.

Exhibit A:
So the leaker could pick the least worked on LinkedIn so there are fewer ways to contact him, and also make sure it's in a foreign language. That way most people won't bother to try and check, and it becomes harder to prove wrong.
So this god among men picked out Eric out of thousands of people, traveled to France ("make sure it's in a foreign language", so obviously not a native citizen) went to Eric's workplace uninvited, set up an incriminating fake leak, and took a some video all while using a Snapchat account set up to catfish people as Eric?

Or he's just looking for followers and likes from a profitable situation

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Some things rub on me the wrong way too about this leak. Like the poor censoring of the name. Would someone who works in this profession really just barely crossout his name with snapchat's paint tool and not even consider just cropping it out? This is why I believe that someone else took the picture and it wasn't at all done but the name shown in the leak. This other person must be a complete idiot and I'm wondering what he was even doing in this workplace to begin with. This guy would have to be an employee of some kind, right? Maybe a janitor? I don't know. But this person shouldn't have kept confidential information out in the open like that. If this really happened, he pretty much cost this guy his career and got him in legal trouble. If this leak has taught me anything, it's to never underestimate humanity's stupidity. That's the thing about this leak. It all looks real but was executed idiotically. The censoring of the name is just so sketchy and makes me cringe.
Is this how it went? I was under the impression the guy who received the snapchat altered it to try and cover up his friend's identity. I'm not super familiar with Snapchat

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
The only thing that is true is that many of his points can be debunked.

Exhibit A:

So this god among men picked out Eric out of thousands of people, traveled to France ("make sure it's in a foreign language", so obviously not a native citizen) went to Eric's workplace uninvited, set up an incriminating fake leak, and took a some video all while using a Snapchat account set up to catfish people as Eric?

Or he's just looking for followers and likes from a profitable situation

Oh my, the straight up believer that ignores the common sense.

A. There is no evidence or proof that indicates this cannot be faked. The Bomberman image for example fits 100% and makes "perfect sense" like people are trying to say for Banjo (near Snake) and Isaac (near Little Mac and Isabelle) with Wario's reaction fitting the situation 100%. And guess what? It isn't a blurry mess.

People have already showcased how easy it is to not only remove characters on the banner but also to rearrange them.

B, Eric could or could not be involved with the leak. His name being half effort scribbled out is pretty fishy overall. Either his "friend" cared nothing about ruining his life or someone didn't care if the name was seen.

Why can't the leaker be French? Who says it's only one person involved? Clearly there is at least two people.

Where's the proof the screenshot is taken in the facility? Even if the leak is true, couldn't the image of been taken at home? That's a genuine question as there's just a zoom in on the sheet for most search results now. Was the initial leak with the background of the facility? Could the image not be altered in Photoshop after being taken as well? If Eric is the leaker (or coworker) could he not make a false leak at home and take the picture at work with promotional artwork he is working on?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That tweet does have a valid point, in that Sakurai would go against his own word if 45% of the roster still is gonna be revealed in ONE Direct, after specifically stating he'll slow down the rate of newcomers cause there's not much left. It's what I've been saying since the first time. Out of all the other "leaks" though, this one IS the most convincing.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
Oh my, the straight up believer that ignores the common sense.

A. There is no evidence or proof that indicates this cannot be faked. The Bomberman image for example fits 100% and makes "perfect sense" like people are trying to say for Banjo (near Snake) and Isaac (near Little Mac and Isabelle) with Wario's reaction fitting the situation 100%. And guess what? It isn't a blurry mess. People have already showcased how easy it is to not only remove characters on the banner but also to rearrange them.

B, Eric could or could not be involved with the leak. His name being half effort scribbled out is pretty fishy overall. Either his "friend" cared nothing about ruining his life or someone didn't care if the name was seen.

C. Why can't the leaker be French? Who says it's only one person involved? Clearly there is at least two people.

D. Where's the proof the screenshot is taken in the facility? Even if the leak is true, couldn't the image of been taken at home? That's a genuine question as there's just a zoom in on the sheet for most search results now.

E. Was the initial leak with the background of the facility? Could the image not be altered in Photoshop after being taken as well?

F. If Eric is the leaker (or coworker) could he not make a false leak at home and take the picture at work with promotional artwork he is working on?
A. Except with the bomberman image all you have is that picture. There isn't more to it. With the grinch leak there's a credible story and visual evidence backing it up. It makes sense, a disgruntled office worker decides to send a picture of the Smash poster, and then a video of his workload for the day which included smash and the grinch. His "friend" screenshots them, hastily scribbles out his name, and puts it online for the world to see.

Now why he wouldn't take more than one screenshot of the video is questionable, but perhaps the guy thought one would be enough. As for the piss poor quality, that final screenshot that got uploaded is after generations of compression, beginning at the original recording. It's likely that Eric has an older model phone, which explains the low res.

Also, it would be easy to mess with the Smash poster if you were specialized in graphics design and trained in professional photoshop editing. A guy who prints posters for a living isn't automatically a photoshop god.

B. I think you're quick to assume that everyone on this earth is intimately familiar with the iPhone or Android stock photo editor's drawing tool. Most would assume that if they drew over it a couple times with the default pen that that would be enough. It's the equivalent of using a dry sharpie.

C. I'm not the one who said the leaker can't be french, twitter guy implied that by saying whoever the mastermind is sought someone who spoke a foreign language

D. Because of the AutoCAD commands, since AutoCAD was shown in the ACP-PLV video, and it looks like a typical printing office. Unless you have money to throw away or you outright steal company materials, you can't get that setup at home

E. It was originally a video so no, you really can't alter that convincingly

F. "Hey Eric, whatcha got there?"
"Oh just fake smash bros posters and wristbands with some office materials I stole. I also pirated a copy of the printing command software that we use, bought the same exact model of printer that i have at my office, and even printed out some blueprints and some brand new, studio-quality Grinch renders I whipped up in Photoshop!"
"Oh i see. Well, see you at lunch!"

If it were faked it would have be the most layered, well-thought out, planned in advance, and clever fake in smash brothers history. Truth is no one knows for sure until nintendo finally announces isaac or some other character on the banner. Or doesn't

But until then, the evidence and common sense is pointing in favor of true. You don't have to agree, but when banjo gets announced and incineroar is left in the dust, don't be angry lol

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Team Fake; Because Nintendo's NOT gonna put a Non-Video game character like The Grinch in Smash Bros; HE'S NOT A VIDEO GAME CHARACTER; He Originated in Theodore Guissel's Children's Literature(Theodore Guissel is the REAL Name of Dr. Seuss) book; only characters who originated from Video games are allowed in Smash!!!! that means No Characters that originated from Anime, Cartoons, Movies, Comic Books, Manga, Literature, or ANY non-Video game Media!!

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Team Fake; Because Nintendo's NOT gonna put a Non-Video game character like The Grinch in Smash Bros; HE'S NOT A VIDEO GAME CHARACTER; He Originated in Theodore Guissel's Children's Literature(Theodore Guissel is the REAL Name of Dr. Seuss) book; only characters who originated from Video games are allowed in Smash!!!! that means No Characters that originated from Anime, Cartoons, Movies, Comic Books, Manga, Literature, or ANY non-Video game Media!!
I hope to God you're trolling.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
A. Except with the bomberman image all you have is that picture. There isn't more to it. With the grinch leak there's a credible story and visual evidence backing it up. It makes sense, a disgruntled office worker decides to send a picture of the Smash poster, and then a video of his workload for the day which included smash and the grinch. His "friend" screenshots them, hastily scribbles out his name, and puts it online for the world to see.

Now why he wouldn't take more than one screenshot of the video is questionable, but perhaps the guy thought one would be enough. As for the piss poor quality, that final screenshot that got uploaded is after generations of compression, beginning at the original recording. It's likely that Eric has an older model phone, which explains the low res.

Also, it would be easy to mess with the Smash poster if you were specialized in graphics design and trained in professional photoshop editing. A guy who prints posters for a living isn't automatically a photoshop god.

B. I think you're quick to assume that everyone on this earth is intimately familiar with the iPhone or Android stock photo editor's drawing tool. Most would assume that if they drew over it a couple times with the default pen that that would be enough. It's the equivalent of using a dry sharpie.

C. I'm not the one who said the leaker can't be french, twitter guy implied that by saying whoever the mastermind is sought someone who spoke a foreign language

D. Because of the AutoCAD commands, since AutoCAD was shown in the ACP-PLV video, and it looks like a typical printing office. Unless you have money to throw away or you outright steal company materials, you can't get that setup at home

E. It was originally a video so no

F. "Hey Eric, whatcha got there?"
"Oh just fake smash bros posters and wristbands with some office materials I stole. I also pirated a copy of the printing command software that we use, bought the same exact model of printer that i have at my office, and even printed out some blueprints and some brand new, studio-quality Grinch renders I whipped up in Photoshop!"
"Oh i see. Well, see you at lunch!"

If it were faked it would have be the most layered, well-thought out, planned in advance, and clever fake in smash brothers history. Truth is no one knows for sure until nintendo finally announces isaac or some other character on the banner. Or doesn't

But until then, the evidence and common sense is pointing in favor of true. You don't have to agree, but when banjo gets announced and incineroar is left in the dust, don't be angry lol
A. The Bomberman is a well done image of a small area. It could easily be zoomed out and placed with the rest of the roster and still look better than the leak.

B. Wouldn't take a god, multiple people on here just learned photoshop and found out to quickly remove characters and move them about. The only difficulty would be the new character renders which are blurry and can't be seen if good or horrid quality. The sheer amount of Grinch Leak fanart should indicate to you there's a lot of artists out there.

C. Agreed then. Leaker could be French and live there. Could be Eric, a coworker, or a friend.

D. It's still just paperwork shown in the leak? All of those could of been taken home or scanned onto a laptop to be later printed at home/edited/ etc. Nobody would notice if a few sheets went missing if they handle hundreds of these. He also did something illegal already by showcasing the leak, I doubt stealing sheets of paper would bother him.

E. Originally a video that we have no access to. Doesn't help us either way, just lack of evidence.

F. You're acting like he wasn't doing this in private already. He could had them in his briefcase, in his lunch box, in his portfolio, in a laptop bag, etc. Cause let's be honest here, he was at least alone enough to take a Snapchat video, so he isn't under armed guard watch. He at least at some point was alone with these papers. At work? Maybe. At home? Maybe. Either way sneaking a couple papers into work may not be the hardest thing anyone has ever snuck into a work place.

H. Also what is the point of the "wristband" that people not argue is just a small scale of a light wrap? It doesn't appear to be just a sheet of paper. But what is the purpose of it? If they work with these fixtures all the time or quite often, why would they need some literal miniexample that serves no purpose? Do you apply miniwrap onto a miniwireframe light for fun? Doesn't make sense to me.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
A. The Bomberman is a well done image of a small area. It could easily be zoomed out and placed with the rest of the roster and still look better than the leak.

B. Wouldn't take a god, multiple people on here just learned photoshop and found out to quickly remove characters and move them about. The only difficulty would be the new character renders which are blurry and can't be seen if good or horrid quality. The sheer amount of Grinch Leak fanart should indicate to you there's a lot of artists out there.

C. Agreed then. Leaker could be French and live there. Could be Eric, a coworker, or a friend.

D. It's still just paperwork shown in the leak? All of those could of been taken home or scanned onto a laptop to be later printed at home/edited/ etc. Nobody would notice if a few sheets went missing if they handle hundreds of these. He also did something illegal already by showcasing the leak, I doubt stealing sheets of paper would bother him.

E. Originally a video that we have no access to. Doesn't help us either way, just lack of evidence.

F. You're acting like he wasn't doing this in private already. He could had them in his briefcase, in his lunch box, in his portfolio, in a laptop bag, etc. Cause let's be honest here, he was at least alone enough to take a Snapchat video, so he isn't under armed guard watch. He at least at some point was alone with these papers. At work? Maybe. At home? Maybe. Either way sneaking a couple papers into work may not be the hardest thing anyone has ever snuck into a work place.

H. Also what is the point of the "wristband" that people not argue is just a small scale of a light wrap? It doesn't appear to be just a sheet of paper. But what is the purpose of it? If they work with these fixtures all the time or quite often, why would they need some literal miniexample that serves no purpose? Do you apply miniwrap onto a miniwireframe light for fun? Doesn't make sense to me.
A. That should make it even more suspicious then. Sounds like a professional edited that one

B. True, given the quality it's impossible to analyze the renders. If they were fan renders lifted from the internet they would have been brought up by now.

D. But his superiors or coworkers sure would notice them hanging up in his office! In addition to that it's clear he wanted to spite nintendo, as indicated by the "LOL" sticker and "nique nintendo mdrrr" which translates to "**** nintendo lolll".

E. We had access to it. Once. Then ACP-PLV deleted it. THAT should raise suspicion. All we have are screenshots of it now.

F. Let's not forget the size of that mural now. Unless he folded it up, anyone would be able to notice him carrying it.

H. It might just be a promotional label for store demos or something, who knows? If you look at the picture there's blueprints for how it's supposed to be wrapped around a circular object. In retail, the instructions for setting up things are never 100% accurate. Or maybe it's meant for the recipients? Either way it doesn't affect whether the mural is faked or not

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if this is mentioned, but I'm on team fake. The reason I think this is because of Banjo's position in the "leak". Notice his pose, proportions, and model are deemed to be similar to ArtsiOmni's. Now, Kazooie may be different, but a lot of shade would be thrown if it was a straight model rip. If we find a pretty similar/same existing Kazooie model, we may debunk this.
aaaa.png

bbbb.png

Arthur97

Smash Master
Don't know if this is mentioned, but I'm on team fake. The reason I think this is because of Banjo's position in the "leak". Notice his pose, proportions, and model are deemed to be similar to ArtsiOmni's. Now, Kazooie may be different, but a lot of shade would be thrown if it was a straight model rip. If we find a pretty similar/same existing Kazooie model, we may debunk this.View attachment 173421
View attachment 173422
As far as I know, the banner isn't even using renders of models so...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Don't know if this is mentioned, but I'm on team fake. The reason I think this is because of Banjo's position in the "leak". Notice his pose, proportions, and model are deemed to be similar to ArtsiOmni's. Now, Kazooie may be different, but a lot of shade would be thrown if it was a straight model rip. If we find a pretty similar/same existing Kazooie model, we may debunk this.View attachment 173421
View attachment 173422
Pac-Man is similar to one of his Pac-Man World 2 renders, where he's jumping:

Of course it's similar, because it's the same character. Imo the leak's Banjo-Kazooie look different, and Banjo's limbs are in different positions, with his head sorta different with a seemingly different expression.

Plus if it's fake they could've just made it themself, just like every other character in the banner.

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Is this how it went? I was under the impression the guy who received the snapchat altered it to try and cover up his friend's identity. I'm not super familiar with Snapchat
That is very possible too. I used to use snapchat way back so I know a little bit about. You have the ability to send to your followers pictures that can only be viewed once for a small amount of time or something like that and then they get deleted. This allows you to communicate with pictures alone without wasting space on your phone. But of course you can still screenshot whatever image you get and save it to your phone. Snapchat doesn't use the phone's regular camera and it can be very blurry when it comes to very detailed images like this banner leak. So I would say the blurry effect isn't necessarily a stunt to distort these unrevealed character artwork.

The possibility of this picture being messaged to this other guy makes more sense. But if this is the case than it would be the employee's fault 100% for breaking confidentiality. Even if his name was completely crossed out, I still think his place of work would have traced the leak back to him. I mean how many people on earth are have access to both promotional artwork for smash and the grinch? I think either way you look at this, the employee didn't use good judgment. And if this leak was in fact posted by someone else, than that person is either a horrible friend or a terrible human being that doesn't care about ruining someone else's career.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
View attachment 173422

the posses are different, in the mural it looks like kazooie is screeching or what ever orange giant birds do

beans

Smash Lord
Theres jsut a dumb amount of stuff in detail put in.
And i feel optimistic today

aarchak

Smash Ace
I was once a hard team realer but then I read this: https://twitter.com/MrNantendo/status/1055206265964716042
This post really sums up every point against the leak. There is no real evidence for the leak that can't be countered, and evidence against the leak still exists.

For those who are on team fake, I recommend you watch near he end of this song.
Sensible chuckle.gif

I'm staying on Team Fake until I'm inevitably proven wrong, but that really did make my day.

Imfrikinbad

Smash Cadet
But seriously, I hope it's real. It'd be cool if it was. I saw an interesting theory that a new-gen Pokemon character would be DLC, and I'm cool with that if that theory turns out to be correct.

aarchak

Smash Ace
As everyone probably knows now, Smash Direct Thursday. Sakurai said it's the last direct, so will we see 7 characters revealed then? Well either way, this leak will be proven real or fake then. See y'all on the other side.

EDIT: last SMASH direct.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Why are the team real people spamming ****ty and/or meme videos in here? Maybe I should post the Artsy Omni Leakbuster vid until they give up, but I bet they don't even read open this thread except to post vids by their youtube heroes.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I hope to God you're trolling.
I'm not. I legitimately mean it; they're not gonna put a Non-video game related character like the grinch in smash; If they're not gonna put anime characters in, they're not gonna do Dr. Seuss characters, either!!

I'm on team Fake, because I'm being Realistic about what to expect.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I'm not. I legitimately mean it; they're not gonna put a Non-video game related character like the grinch in smash; If they're not gonna put anime characters in, they're not gonna do Dr. Seuss characters, either!!

I'm on team Fake, because I'm being Realistic about what to expect.
The leak doesn't say that the Grinch will be in Smash Bros. The reason it's called the "Grinch Leak" is because it contains promotional material for the Grinch movie alongside the Smash leak itself.

Next time, it's best if you read the leak or do research before assuming something and picking sides too quickly.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'll admit — I'm not quite as confident in the leak with a 40-minute Direct.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
the direct is twice as long as the last one though
In the last one though, they showed off two unique characters, and three echo fighters. Considering they have to triple the amount of unique fighters shown in one video, and that there is still a bunch of other stuff to discuss such as Stadiums, Stage Builder, the alleged "Spirits" mode, Online, possibly more Pokémon, possibly more Assist Trophies, and and maybe more Items, 40 minutes is not enough time.

Even with zero character reveals, they're already cutting it close. Do you really think they can cover all of this and seven fighters in a 40 minute video?

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if it is real then yes they could if they wanted to, also this is the last SMASH direct so there could be one last character for the rumored second nov direct.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
The leak doesn't say that the Grinch will be in Smash Bros. The reason it's called the "Grinch Leak" is because it contains promotional material for the Grinch movie alongside the Smash leak itself.

Next time, it's best if you read the leak or do research before assuming something and picking sides too quickly.
Oh. I Mistaken; then I Hope that Some of the leak is real; Such as:
Geno
Isaac
Banjo & Kazooie

Arthur97

Smash Master
But is 40 minutes enough to cover 5 characters, 2 Echoes, Spirits mode, online, and other modes (such as Stage Builder)?
Well, this is the last Smash direct, doesn't mean we're getting all the characters. Some more minor reveals could be saved for later.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Well, this is the last Smash direct, doesn't mean we're getting all the characters. Some more minor reveals could be saved for later.
They could also go rapid fire with character trailers like the August Direct. Revealed 2 characters in one trailer, then revealed 2 echoes immediately after, then revealed the last character at the end of the direct.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Lines have been drawn, sides have been chosen and the date has been set. On November 1st, one side will emerge victorious with bragging rights of their ability to tell if a blurry image is fake or real.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
They could also go rapid fire with character trailers like the August Direct. Revealed 2 characters in one trailer, then revealed 2 echoes immediately after, then revealed the last character at the end of the direct.
it is rumored that there is in fact one trailer with 2 newcomers ( my geuss it will be the beginning video)

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
Team Fake all the way. Id love for it to be real, but the background discrepencies existing only in places covered up by characters is a huge, huge, HUGE point against it, and I havent seen anyone reasonably explain why that would be the case if it's real. I think it's incredibly unlikely this printing company would reverse-engineer a blank background instead of getting it from Nintendo themselves.

Additionally, Sakurai's comments about "showing restraint" with character reveals really dont seem disingenuine to me.

I believed in ESRB but I don't buy this.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Voting team real, but it's a hard sell. The evidence screams real yet the insiders continue to scream fake and I actually take stock into what they have to say. I don't think they are lying to us, but this feels unfakeable so it is really mysterious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom