• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VOTE: Team Real or Team Fake on the Grinch Leak

Team real or fake on Snapchat leak?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
What I think we'll get on Thursday character wise is an opening trailer for Geno, an introduction for the last echoes Ken and Shadow, and then finally a newcomer trailer to end the finale. I would imagine Banjo would be that character that's saved for last. How they handle Issac, Chorus Kids, and Mach Rider? I don't know.

Part of me hopes to see a character revealed that's not on this leak. I don't want the grinch leak to be fake. I'm just hoping it doesn't have everyone. I want there to be something we didn't know about already.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There are reports that the guy who bought a crapton of Rosalina amiibos so that others couldn't have them is behind the Grinch Leak.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So the Smash Direct is on November 1st? Sure hope it disproves the leak by showing that Shadow is an Assist Trophy and gives us Tails as Sonic's echo instead. When Wayforward was the most vocal about putting Shantae in the Smash Ballot and went quiet in Smash Ultimate's development and made references to Smash in Jammies mode and didn't appear in other Indie fighting games, that's really suspicious and I hope she's in the game. She's not in the Grinch leak so her announcement can debunk it. Geno, as much as I hate a 9th Mario rep, there are signs that he's in. Isaac, he can get in Smash. Chorus Kids, nope. Ken, let's cut him out to discredit Vergeban and the Ken photo. Banjo-Kazooiee, as if Nintendo would ask a console rival for a character. Phil Spencer may have said he would want him in, but does Sakurai want to ask Microsoft? Mach Rider, where's your bike? And I hope this Direct would show the final roster and finish adding newcomers before showing the first DLC character that I hope would be Spring Man.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm...... I was starting to doubt the leak,I dont believe the insiders are bad people lying to us and they all seem to really agree it isn't real. That said I reviewed the evidence and really struggle to believe it is fake, so I want to throw out one final theory of mine. A common detracting point I see is that 7 characters in one direct is a pipedream. Because they are presumably showcasing the final build at the tournament Friday, not to mention Sakurai tweeting "This is it" or something to that effect, it is likely that the full roster will be unveiled Thursday. 7 characters feels like a lot, especially when 5 are newcomers. However one thing continued to bug me, the direct leaks were insisting previously that we should expect a direct "the 5th through the 12th, probably the 8th" for some time now. Only days ago were the leakers saying we were getting it this week. My theory is that if we are to believe at one point the direct was possibly planned to be next week rather than this Thursday, (it could have been pushed ahead due to internal chaos with the roster leaked assuming the Grinch leak is real) the idea that this tournament is the final build with all characters selectable actually falls on its face. No matter who the final characters are, even if the Grinch leak itself were faked, they wouldn't be confirmed yet before the tournament happened. So it being a final build with all characters selectable, if we are to believe the direct was planned for the 8th, is actually impossible. Furthermore "this is it" or whatever it was is a vague statement that could mean a lot of things. This is the last major info dump perhaps fits the bill even if a few characters were held off. Especially if there is another, presumably general, direct later this month which could easily have a character reveal at the beginning and end. Leakers have been saying expect two directs this month after all. Unless they are going to throw DLC already in just a few weeks, admittedly possible if we get a Mewtwo situation, I feel like getting say, Isaac, Chorus Kids, and Mach Rider Thursday with Banjo starting off the regular direct following (perhaps to segway into an N64 classic reveal) and Geno being the "One more thing" in said general direct isnt out of the realm of possibility. With that in mind, 3 newcomers and 2 echoes is a lot more realistic and no longer insists we need 7 reveals Thursday for the leak to be real

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I refuse to say one way or the other, but remember that the "insiders" may just be blowing smoke or have wrong information. The fact is, I don't know them, and you probably don't either. Unless you do know them, you really don't know what kind of people they are.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
A thought occurred to me days ago. Figured I’d share since nobody else I’ve seen said it. Maybe others had the Same thought cross their heads but thought it was stupid so they kept their mouths shut.

What if this “leak” was planned by Nintendo themselves to get us to expect certain characters only to blow our minds in the direct.

I’m on team real btw. You may ask why would I put out a theory against my side. My answer... who knows I may just enjoy watching watching the community going back and forth on it and felt like adding fuel to the fire. Or, maybe, I am just interested in hearing everyone’s thoughts.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Last night I went into some sort of fugue state and just started tweeting about the Direct with assumption that Grinch is true. In case you want to read my ramblings:

>#SmashBrosDirect opens with Ryu and Sonic fighting
>Ryu KO's Sonic
>Shadow spawns instead of Sonic
>Shadow Chaos Controls Ryu via FS and KO's him
>Ken comes out as the respawn
>Sakurai covers Echo Fighter reveals and how Squad Strike works simultaneously
>BGM is Grinch Theme

>Another Trailer
>Marth is fighting Master & Crazy Hand
>Getting overwhelmed
>A third hand appears
>It's yellow
>Isaac rolls up and smacks the **** out of Master & Crazy
>Co-Op Classic Mode returns confirmed

>Sakurai sits like a snack, waves at camera
>Refers to K. Rool as a seasick crocodile
>Shows off Spirits mode
>It's Great Maze 2.0
>Shows Mario walking through forest
>Familiar song comes on
>Mario finds a doll that says its name is Q*Bert speech
>Geno whirls in

>Sakurai talks about online modes
>For Glory has Omega/Battlefield/Hazardless stages
>Still random
>App chat only for friends
>Shows white hand using a generic iphone w/ online app
>Calling his identical friends
>They chant in a Rhythm
>The Chorus Kids Harmonize

>Sakurai shows off a new Adventure Mode
>Mix of bunch of new stages and a couple from Melee's
>Captain Falcon and Sonic trying to outrun the F-Zero Racers on Big Blue
>Mach Rider drives past them
>Mach Rider Speeds By!
>Mach Rider hella fast but super weak

>Finally Sakurai says he only has one character left
>This character was supposed to be in Smash 64 and missed the opportunity
>Banjo theme starts playing
>64 bit Banjo knocks on the camera
>Mumbo zaps him, he turns HD
>Banjo & Kazooie Get Jiggy!

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If ACP-PLV still doesn't come out and deny being associated with the leak, I'm going to take it as a sign of it being real. I don't care if #TeamFake thinks this leaker is a savant, there's no way a leaker can prevent the company from shooting down this whole thing if it wasn't under NDA.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
hmm so vergeben and emily rodgers are now saying isaac is an assist trophy, first major difference someone else is calling other than Incineroar, I am still back and forth with this whole thing (still leaning more towards real) but thought this was interest and had not seen it brought up so I thought I would share.

source: Vergeben's Gamefaqs Account

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Last minute thoughts; if the Grinch leak is real, all the newcomers on the banner are gonna need to be shown at once. I have a kind of hard time imagining that... I still HOPE it's real, but I won't expect nothing.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Last minute thoughts; if the Grinch leak is real, all the newcomers on the banner are gonna need to be shown at once. I have a kind of hard time imagining that... I still HOPE it's real, but I won't expect nothing.
Not really. They've done sporadic reveals before.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
hmm so vergeben and emily rodgers are now saying isaac is an assist trophy, first major difference someone else is calling other than Incineroar, I am still back and forth with this whole thing (still leaning more towards real) but thought this was interest and had not seen it brought up so I thought I would share.

Also saw something about vergeben now saying the pokemon rep is now from gen 8 and now dlc, at least if this side is right we are looking at the square rep now instead of Incineroar which is more exciting although this backpedaling does bring leave more questions than answers on what happened there.

source: Vergeben's Gamefaqs Account
did not see the post were he said that

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
did not see the post were he said that
isaac assist

my mistake with the pokemon thing, did not look too into it before, turns out that actually came from someone impersonating him on here, he is still supporting incineroar, sorry about that, should have looked closer at that thread.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
isaac assist

my mistake with the pokemon thing, did not look too into it before, turns out that actually came from someone impersonating him on here, he is still supporting incineroar, sorry about that, should have looked closer at that thread.
no prob at least you admit your mistakes and not act like most of gamefaq who I wonder some times how there smart enough to use a computer :p

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ken was already expected. Even before people were citing Vergeben, the concept of echo fighters was known. So Ken was expected. Not only was Incineroar not shown in the leak, neither was Pirahna Plant. Isaac was shown in the mural, but he is an assist trophy. Shadow the Hedgehog is also an assist trophy, even though he was shown in the "leaked" mural. I cannot believe the amount of people (69%) who bought into this leak. This percentage was higher. Team Real can now be called Team Gullible.

CrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet
to the man who made the grinch leak, props to you, I knew that it was fakeable, but still really good and convincing and best yet, now laxchris has to hide in a hole for the next 3 months, he seemed like he would have bet his life on it. I think one of the main reasons why people were so convinced was because they wanted to believe it was true more than anything.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
to the man who made the grinch leak, props to you, I knew that it was fakeable, but still really good and convincing and best yet, now laxchris has to hide in a hole for the next 3 months, he seemed like he would have bet his life on it. I think one of the main reasons why people were so convinced was because they wanted to believe it was true more than anything.
Though I do wonder why this person basically committed defamation to make their leak look more valid.

Honestly, my only problem with the direct was that a fairly big portion of it felt like filler (did we really need that portion on the options menu and online?)

Piranha Plant is FIRE!

And we can finally switch languages!?!?!??

I get to have Japanese Marth back!

Sorry for y’all who believed it was real, but at least we are getting gameplay of the REAL game.

Snap chat filter is not and excuse.

Told y’all Ken was in the game lol duh

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I just hope that those journalists insisting it was fake don't act like assholes because they were ight

CrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet
Though I do wonder why this person basically committed defamation to make their leak look more valid.

Honestly, my only problem with the direct was that a fairly big portion of it felt like filler (did we really need that portion on the options menu and online?)
I think the online was necessary (and it looks incredible), the options menu was pointless, I am mainly just annoyed that sakurai refuses to do any minor DLC, why are alternate costumes so unnecessary to him, people like aesthetics and to block yourself out of using such things is aggravating.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Well the leak may be fake but you still have to give the leaker credit for all of the effort in creating one of the most elaborate, believable fakes ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom