• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VOTE: Team Real or Team Fake on the Grinch Leak

Team real or fake on Snapchat leak?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Again, I think that Mach provides the moveset ready-made and it's easy for an Excitebiker to be the costume or even a DLC echo.
Yeah but I don't think they're that similar. I mean yeah they are both people on motorcycles racing, but their games mechanics have nothing in common. I don't think having one echo the other would do the series justice, and I don't like the idea of having a series be represented only be an echo. Plus I mean Mach Rider is not popular at all and downright hated by many people. While this is not enough to warrant it to be discluded Mach Rider does not compare to Excitebiker's popularity. I'm not saying he placed high in the Smash Ballot, I doubt either of them even placed in the top one hundred, but Excitebiker is the most popular retro character besdies maybe Lip.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Shadow being placed in instead of Tails make me want to believe it's fake. I hate how Shadow was always leaked when Tails is the Sonic character I want. Chorus Kids? How would they work in the game. Is Banjo-Kazooiee using his Smashified art? Stealing fanart for a render is points against them. And where was that thing supposed to go? Was it the spine of the game? My Switch game cases all have red spines that are thinner than that. People go through great lengths to fake a leak. Someone made a Rayman video that put Rayman and Mewtwo on the Smash for Wii U character select screen and animated the cursor selecting Rayman. And the guy credited "Eric Bricard" hadn't been working at Marina since 2016 and Marina's not working with Bandai-Namco on Smash. Fake! Fake! Fake! Fake! Fake! No! No! No! No! No! Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! Six! Six! Six!

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but I don't think they're that similar. I mean yeah they are both people on motorcycles racing, but their games mechanics have nothing in common. I don't think having one echo the other would do the series justice, and I don't like the idea of having a series be represented only be an echo. Plus I mean Mach Rider is not popular at all and downright hated by many people. While this is not enough to warrant it to be discluded Mach Rider does not compare to Excitebiker's popularity. I'm not saying he placed high in the Smash Ballot, I doubt either of them even placed in the top one hundred, but Excitebiker is the most popular retro character besdies maybe Lip.
I mean I'd totally be down for a fleshed out Excitebiker, but I could see this being a one or the other situation. How about a crazy quartet that swaps between 1080 Snowboarder, Excitebiker, Pro Wrestler, and Wave Racer?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And the guy credited "Eric Bricard" hadn't been working at Marina since 2016 and Marina's not working with Bandai-Namco on Smash. Fake! Fake! Fake! Fake! Fake! No! No! No! No! No! Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! Six! Six! Six!
How did you find this out?

Dan

Smash Lord
You know, you could just actually engage with his points instead of going into ad hominem.
He's right though; the angle and quality of the photo doesn't mean anything regarding its authenticity, and a printing company would not have had in-game screenshots.

Shadow being placed in instead of Tails make me want to believe it's fake. I hate how Shadow was always leaked when Tails is the Sonic character I want. Chorus Kids? How would they work in the game. Is Banjo-Kazooiee using his Smashified art? Stealing fanart for a render is points against them. And where was that thing supposed to go? Was it the spine of the game? My Switch game cases all have red spines that are thinner than that. People go through great lengths to fake a leak. Someone made a Rayman video that put Rayman and Mewtwo on the Smash for Wii U character select screen and animated the cursor selecting Rayman. And the guy credited "Eric Bricard" hadn't been working at Marina since 2016 and Marina's not working with Bandai-Namco on Smash. Fake! Fake! Fake! Fake! Fake! No! No! No! No! No! Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! Six! Six! Six!
Shadow is an easy Echo, Chorus Kids is a scrapped Wii U character, Banjo is not the Smashified art (Artsy Omni said so, and it doesn't even look like it to begin with) and the thing that was photographed was a wristband...

aarchak

Smash Ace
He's right though; the angle and quality of the photo doesn't mean anything regarding its authenticity, and a printing company would not have had in-game screenshots.
I'm fairly sure the quality does matter. With modern smartphone cameras, you can get some very high quality images, and if the leaker wanted to show the poster, he could just zoom in and show it up close. The fact he didn't means he may have deliberately obscured the image to hide his editing mistakes. It doesn't prove anything for certain, but it is a point against the leak.

Dan

Smash Lord
I hate the hate toward Mach Rider; not only does he look cooler than Excite Biker (just my opinion), but the thing that would seal him being a character over Excite is his gun. If this is real, I'm super curious about him more than anyone else: would he be the opposite of Wario, in that he'd primarily be on his bike and only briefly off it? Anything is possible when they built Falcon from scratch.

I'm fairly sure the quality does matter. With modern smartphone cameras, you can get some very high quality images, and if the leaker wanted to show the poster, he could just zoom in and show it up close. The fact he didn't means he may have deliberately obscured the image to hide his editing mistakes. It doesn't prove anything for certain, but it is a point against the leak.
Who's to say the leaker wanted to show the poster? Wasn't he just sharing it with someone else and it wasn't meant to be seen by the public? Regardless, it's not a point against it; It's not like he was tasked to leak anything.

So by your standards, if I had the full game running in front of me and shot it on a '90s camcorder then it would hurt its credibility? Because that's exactly what you're saying.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I hate the hate toward Mach Rider; not only does he look cooler than Excite Biker (just my opinion), but the thing that would seal him being a character over Excite is his gun. If this is real, I'm super curious about him more than anyone else: would he be the opposite of Wario, in that he'd primarily be on his bike and only briefly off it? Anything is possible when they built Falcon from scratch.

Who's to say the leaker wanted to show the poster? Wasn't he just sharing it with someone else and it wasn't meant to be seen by the public? Regardless, it's not a point against it; It's not like he was tasked to leak anything.

So by your standards, if I had the full game running in front of me and shot it on a '90s camcorder then it would hurt its credibility? Because that's exactly what you're saying.
Video is different than photos. Are you being serious or just trolling?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Yeah. This doesn't seem realistic. Well, I don't think that we are getting 7 more characters, all of whom barring Mach Rider are either heavily requested characters or highly expected characters. There's also, like you said, the issue involving the spacing of the reveals. They would have to cram 5 trailers into one direct that will pretty much be packed with content (including the mystery mode, the online modes, the rest of the singleplayer content, and the Vault features will most likely be shown off in this direct).
who says they have to all be revealed at once

Dan

Smash Lord
Video is different than photos. Are you being serious or just trolling?
I am being 100% serious; blurry photo and odd angle is literally the worst argument ever considering it isn't that bad and the circumstances surrounding this whole leak, not to mention these people weren't in a scenario where they had all the time in the world to do a picture-perfect photo shoot of the mural.

Last edited:

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
smash leak wars.png

The Smash fanbase right now...

Dan

Smash Lord
Well the creator of Smashified said the artwork isn't even close to resembling his.

I've been a pretty staunch supporter of this leak (though my odds of this being real have fallen to like 75% after the second day), but something I've thought about is why would they even try to put the mural on a wristband? Do you know how small that's gonna turn out? It seems so silly.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

That's what I'd be saying, yes.

In an age where any modern smartphone can take a clear, crisp photo with very little effort, a grainy-ass picture that leaves us trying to decipher it for a week is automatically a point against it when trying to determine its authenticity. The motivations of the person taking the picture aren't really a factor; all we have is a photo to go off of, and that photo is ****.

Nothing can truly be proven until the game is out or Nintendo officially confirms it, and until then, we're all trying to filter through leaks by determining what's fake and what's real. If this photo weren't terrible and we could better see the exact quality of the print, it would be much harder to disprove and easier to believe. But that's not the case.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I'm not taking side, but the Team Real people like to pretend there is nothing to counter them. There's plenty to clash with it being true as well.

The areas being changed in the background conveniently being where big characters are and where someone couldn't use old banners to fill it
Snake's and Olimar's missing/weird shadows
Isaac and Chorus Kids being thrown in the front for easy edits
The fact that multiple people have already showcased how easy and quick it is to remove and move characters around
The picture, the main thing in question being small and blurry
The Grinch renders are not new or unseen, just aren't American (leaker could be French)
The guy conveniently "fails" at covering up the name allowing his identity to be quickly found. Did he want sued or to ruin his friend's career?
The general attitude similarity between the earlier text leaker and this leaker make me think it's the same guy or even was a group effort
They're careful enough to exclude newcomers from the box and card artwork but give a French company the full roster?

On a side note, I can't even figure out what Ken is doing. Is that his foot in the air or his head? Foot makes his upper body likely hidden by the person in front of him. Head would indicate maybe a punch but more like he is thrusting his head into the sky. Not sure what's going on there.

Well the creator of Smashified said the artwork isn't even close to resembling his.

I've been a pretty staunch supporter of this leak (though my odds of this being real have fallen to like 75% after the second day), but something I've thought about is why would they even try to put the mural on a wristband? Do you know how small that's gonna turn out? It seems so silly.

Lanyards would be at least a bit bigger. Lol.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Even if they wouldn't have had good enough screenshots, it's the photo that counts. It looks like they went out of their way to make the photo quality bad, as if they were trying to cover something up.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
There's not a lot of time until the game releases. Sakurai also said that the pace of the reveals is going to slow down.
Keep in mind Sakurai loves to tone-down future reveals beforehand, then surprise us with something bigger &/or unexpected.

One of the multiple reasons why he's awesome!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Keep in mind Sakurai loves to tone-down future reveals beforehand, then surprise us with something bigger &/or unexpected.

One of the multiple reasons why he's awesome!
But still, it looked like he was serious this time. There's only 6 weeks left (soon to be 5) until release, and he said that 5 characters in one direct was too much, so why would he reveal 7 (5 of which being uniques) in one direct?

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
But still, it looked like he was serious this time. There's only 6 weeks left (soon to be 5) until release, and he said that 5 characters in one direct was too much, so why would he reveal 7 (5 of which being uniques) in one direct?
Sakurai has surprised us in the past. (He's a madman in the best way)

I wouldn't completely count it against him. (Also they may not reveal all characters in just one direct)

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Could be keeping expectations low to look even better.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Could be keeping expectations low to look even better.
This time, expectations really are low. They brought everyone back, which limited the amount of time they could spend on newcomers.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
That is called false advertising, which is illegal and grounds for a lawsuit.
That's not how it works.

In this case, he's not withholding information in any illegal way, he's just saving the good stuff to reveal later on.
If this were the case, he and tons of companies would have been committed by now.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Not really since it was so vague. A vague statement to keep expectations low. Not saying I condone it, but suing someone over it seems a bit extreme.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
:rotfl:
That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on the internet my guy, congrats

That isn't what false advertising is whatsoever, and it is most certainly not grounds for a lawsuit

Vermilion

Smash Cadet
This looks extremely real. The amount of preparation, foresight, and graphic designing skill that would be required to accurately recreate the banner (while actually working at a printing company for further misleading) would be insane.

Dan

Smash Lord
So what's the context? What does "nique ninteno mdrrr" mean because Google is saying something about a ninja. If this was truly meant to slip out to the public then I would say the angle and distance is a factor, but I've heard mixed things on if this was meant to get out or not.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think i will side with team fake. although, i won't deny that this leak would be a masterpiece if fake...
Is just that some of teh onfor regarding either teh second printing company, or the name being used being an impersonation it makes just too much noise to just say real.

But honestly.. it could be either way. and i think we certainly lack information to properly judge.. the image on itself is waaaay too blurry meaning that it could been easily faked.. on teh other hand the reason why is blurry actually is credible. (unlike every other blurry fake leak)..

the characters themselves are literally a selection of character that the community have been pushing a lot recently and eems to be aimed specifically to people that didnt believed that incinerorar was the last character, (BWD or Elma supporters already kinda resigned to their fates) plus, 2 oddbals that we know that sakurai have had thoughts of putting on smash, which means that either were safe picks to fake, or Sakurai actually is taking teh opportunity to finally implement them considering that this is the "ultimate" game.

Incineroar is a interesting piece in the regard that i don't really think that so much people are lying about it, and not having them would be weird. but chrom happened back in the day, or incineroar could been leakerbait, although this seems unlikely (but not imposible).

Still.. is the second printing place that is just seems fishy, and seems fishy that thye have acces to this level of information. Even though if we apply and occams razor, this likely seems true, I think there is a big chance that this is actually either a side project of someone who work on a printing place that might got completely out of his hands, or a hoax.

but honestly i don't know, and i think it would be kinda cool if true.

Imfrikinbad

Smash Cadet
I'd be shocked if they didn't add a current-gen Pokemon, so I'm gonna say it's fake... plus Mach Rider and Chorus Kid? Come on.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'd be shocked if they didn't add a current-gen Pokemon, so I'm gonna say it's fake... plus Mach Rider and Chorus Kid? Come on.
Again, Brawl had no Mario newcomer. Don't act like Pokemon absolutely has to have a newcomer.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Again, Brawl had no Mario newcomer. Don't act like Pokemon absolutely has to have a newcomer.
While i agree that pokemon could perfectly end withouth a newcomer... i think that not considering wario as a mario newcomer is purely a pointless technicism

msinyu

Smash Rookie
This has got to be the most absurd claim, though, since people . . . Wait. Just seeing this thread, I can see how simple-minded people can be.
Getting a little unnecessarily snarky, don't you think? The entire point of this debate is whether the leak is real or fake, and there is a huge uproar about it. You aren't arguing with a few contrarians on the internet, it's nearly a 50/50 split. Getting rude because people don't jump on your side isn't the way to handle these kind of things. :facepalm:

Arthur97

Smash Master
While i agree that pokemon could perfectly end withouth a newcomer... i think that not considering wario as a mario newcomer is purely a pointless technicism
Wario does not have a mushroom series symbol and furthermore, they make it painfully clear that he's primarily coming from Wario Ware. A series with no Mario characters in sight and no real connection to the rest of the Mario world.

Dan

Smash Lord
Dude, Chorus Kids are a scrapped Wii U character and Mach Rider is the retro rep, not to mention Sakurai bought a toy gun to potentially use as a reference for his gun (though I feel like that was a hint and he really didn't buy it for that).

This is so silly considering a character like Wii Fit Trainer got in. Have you seen a Smash roster before?

Edit: Also, Mach Rider was a character considered as far back as Melee.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Wario does not have a mushroom series symbol and furthermore, they make it painfully clear that he's primarily coming from Wario Ware. A series with no Mario characters in sight and no real connection to the rest of the Mario world.
Mmmm... Even if he is meant to wholly represent Warioware, which he looks to be, the general public would group him in with Mario. His name is Wario and the outfit I'm sure 98% of people visualize when they hear his name is that of a yellow Mario. I'd say his addition counts as a Mario addition, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom