• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

J4pu

Smash Champion
ness has 10 extra frames where he can't do anything
go check the frame data for specifics on what you can do
Shield comes out frame 1, spotdodges normally come out btwn frame 2-4

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I Don't think we can actually get that stuff. I asked Shaky about it and he said that Pikachu can't do anything to abuse it...maybe he was lying so i don't **** him for it...

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yeah i could have sworn we did grab release testing on the usual suspects (Wario, earthbound twins) and the only extra thing we could do was maybe dtilt, hardly worth doing unless it trips

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Here's what Pika can do to Ness on grab release.

Easy:
Dtilt
Dash attack
Dash Grab
Ftilt
Jab

Hard:
Usmash
Nair

Near Impossible:
Dsmash
Utilt
Uair

Don't bother with the near impossible moves. I just wanted to list them to show that they're technically possible to do, but you have to be really fast and near frame perfect to land them.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Yep. When you grab release Ness, you have an 11 frame advantage on him. That means you can hit him with anything that's 11 frames or less if it can reach. All those attacks I just listed are all under 11 frames.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I didn't test it with that. I don't even know how to do it. But the regrab and usmash should still work. Those are the only ones that matter anyways.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
You just gotta hold away when you get grabbed. Make sure it does! It gives the EB kids a decent amount of extra space.

J4pu

Smash Champion
doesn't dash > shieldgrab come out faster and have more range than dash grab?
maybe you can't start it until your initial dash animation ends though

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Yay, I finally have a tournament video! I don't have a TV to play on anymore though so this came after a couple months hiatus, but I guess Ill go ahead and go for a critique. I am aware of the obvious stuff like dumb skull bashes from my deteriorating tech skill (/johns). Unfortunately I forgot to save the more intense come from behind victory second match.

:pikachu2: Tagxy vs :luigi2: UltraLuigi

Anyways, I normally dont play quite that cautious, but luigi is annoying. Trying to get around his range was blah, so I just stood away till he screwed up, and following up on anything was essentially impossible.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Here's what Pika can do to Ness on grab release.

Easy:
Dtilt
Dash attack
Dash Grab
Ftilt
Jab

Hard:
Usmash
Nair

Near Impossible:
Dsmash
Utilt
Uair

Don't bother with the near impossible moves. I just wanted to list them to show that they're technically possible to do, but you have to be really fast and near frame perfect to land them.
I didn't know all this was possible! Thanks, Prime. I'll probably just go for GR > usmash tho, because I think Kenny's right about them being able to avoid a lot by holding away during the release.

Good to see so many new vids being posted.

@people who I was gonna critique before: I lost the notes for your matches when my comp died, sorry. :( I'm just gonna start fresh and try to critique people in a somewhat timely manner from now on.

Kantō

Smash Champion
no rush kaylo,
but id like u to critique my vids as well.

my comp died too like 3 days ago and i just got it running again, it sux....

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You were always great, K Prime. You don't jump into the ****- you let your opponent do that. That's your greatest strength, as well as Anther's. But I believe everyone has some room for improvement. I didn't see much off-stage game from you. Would have liked to see more edgeguarding. I'd try approaching slightly more often and keeping the pressure with more t-jolts, but maybe that's just me. I do have to point out the impressive use of the QA lock. Overall great matches, and Espy did a great job as well. But who won the final match? Dun dun dun. :O

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@Prime: I only looked real quick to get a taste so far, but from the first minute or so from the first match, two things:

- You dair into the ground a lot. It left you open a few times.

- When you grab at high percentages, don't forget to pummel! You grabbed him at ~80% or so, paused, then just bthrew when you could've gotten at least one pummel in, probably two.

I'll have more later when I finish watching them!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECmWGF2sMkg

S'another of me vs. Prime.

@E: I too notice the lack of an offstage game from Prime, but it's dangerous for either of us to really jump out too far to edge guard one another. One false move, and the level control shifts completely between the two of us. Hell, I get cypher gimped in the above video because I went too far off the level to attempt to KO him.

Also, remember that K Prime and I play a lot. Let me emphasize that.

K Prime and I play a lot.

That is to say, we know each other well enough that we tend to make it a point to be more safe on fighting each other, since we know the habits of one another.

Oh, and since you asked, K Prime beat me in the third match in his posted video. ***** me on Final Destination.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The grab gimp you do to Snake can be replicated on Sonic by grabbing him during his vulnerability after an UpB and before he hits the ground. He can only use A moves if he's grabbed, and if he's off the level, he tumbles and dies.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
heres my new ones from the fest tonight. me against Cura both matches. his **** marth and icys nonetheless too. let me know what u guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaJkqXfjKA Pika vs marth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=310VO-OnaV4 Pika vs Icys
Finally watched these!

Your Pika's got some pretty good reads going on.... I can definitely see potential as far as your player-to-player skill goes.

However, one of the first things I noticed, especially in the Marth vid, is that your technical skill needs work. You QA'd badly a few times, had a rogue Skull Bash, SD'd.... definitely work on your control of Pika and minimize your mistakes so that he does exactly what you want him to do. It's important! (And one of my own biggest flaws, so I feel your pain.)

A few other notes:

- Generally, you want to avoid grounded jolts. They're too laggy.

- That Marth wasn't very good at not getting hit by tjolts, but against better Marths, camp more carefully. You jolted a lot within his range. Tjolt has a lot of cooldown, and his sword cancels the jolt and hits you.

- Nice thunder KO his first stock, and lol @the footstool kill, hehe.

- Mix up your followups after fair. You did fair > dsmash a majority of the time, but depending on how your opponent reacts, you can switch it up a lot more than that..... reverse utilt, nair, ftilt, and grab are other good options.

- Use more grabs. Doesn't really apply in the ICs matchup, but against Marth, you definitely should've punished with grabs more.

- You roll a lot as a means of movement, which is very limiting. Pika's fast on the ground.... just run/walk instead of rolling around so much.

- I love that you use ftilt, but Pika's other tilts are also good. Use 'em! And in the air, pleaaaaase incorporate more uair. It's arguably Pika's best aerial, and Marth is very vulnerable to it from below.

- You have a bit of trouble coming off the ledge..... in particular, you seem to ledge attack and ledgehop > airdodge a lot, which got predictable. Remember that you have plenty of other options: rolling, regular get up, ledgehopped aerials (fair/nair are particularly good), ledgedrop > uair if someone's hangin out too close to the edge, etc. Marth is hard to get off the ledge against in general, though. :ohwell:

- In the ICs match, you got grabbed mostly because you were too predictable with your dsmash. It's a good move to separate them, but don't always do it, or they'll just shield + punish. Also, you tjolted too close to them sometimes. It's laggy and very punishable on shield!

I'd love to see your Pika once you have your tech skill down a bit more. I can see your ability to read your opponent trying to show itself (ex: I loved your predicting Marth's up b, but then you randomly dash attacked instead of a better punish :urg:), and it will once you have better control. =D

bigman40

Smash Master
I will have a few videos coming up after my tourney this weekend. I want some serious critiques cause I have another plateau to get through.

Also, did not know that Kanto was Bry o.O

Kantō

Smash Champion
thanks a lot kaylo!

i hope my pika does better at this weekends tourney with your advice. a lot of the things you said to improve on im aware of i just cant improve on them for some reason. but all your advice was very helpful.

ill prolly gets some more vids up after the tourney.

bigman40

Smash Master
Wish I could help, but when I try watching any of your videos the crazy amount of buffering makes it not worth it. =(
Sry, I wanted to up the quality in my vids this time. If it's loading it in 480p, try putting it back to normal. It loads pretty fast for me that way.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Alias- you have the same problem I used to have. Don't be too desperate to force in the hits or you'll let your guard down. Think about your approaches and watch your opponent's gameplay carefully. Experience is the best teacher, and in time your instincts will tell you what is the best move for every circumstance.

Bigman- Pretty solid performance. I know from experience that Kismet is good. I believe Kaylo and I played Reflex and Kismet in doubles one year ago. ^_^ I've also played Kismet in other regional tournaments in the past. One tough cookie.
It is difficult to critique you, but I do see a lack of thunder jolts where it may be necessary. And few full hops or grabs. Your approaches work, but mix it up with a few t-jolts to make him approach. And you do a great job of spacing your body from the opponent but use your moves to keep them at a distance as well such as t-jolt and d-tilt.

Maybe I'll think of more later- gotta set up shop now guys. HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!!!
Don't get too drunk, Kaylo!

gallax

Smash Hero
i watched all your vids bigguy, ill give u a critique here in a bit. ive got to go to another class so when i settle down ill give u my thoughts.

Top Bottom