• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
hey gais i made a video demonstrating our boost pivot just in case any new pikas didnt know what it looked like, i know i didnt when i first started playing. If you want it i can give it to Nombre if u think itd be good in this thread.
Yes, please!

Should I send the ones of my pika to the person who is offering to record instead of waiting for my brother to record it?
Yes, please!

Kantō

Smash Champion
actually pulled off a QAC lock on video, its not very good, i still initiated it but kinda screwed it up lol.
heres the vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIK88IHLUgk

im looking for a qac lock critique and not so much a full vid critique. i want to know better ways to initiate the lock. i try to grab them like in esams combo when they have fresh stock, it usually doesnt work cuz he knows im trying to do it but after that i focus on thundrjolts to knock him down. any suggestions?

Roller

Smash Legend
actually pulled off a QAC lock on video, its not very good, i still initiated it but kinda screwed it up lol.
heres the vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIK88IHLUgk

im looking for a qac lock critique and not so much a full vid critique. i want to know better ways to initiate the lock. i try to grab them like in esams combo when they have fresh stock, it usually doesnt work cuz he knows im trying to do it but after that i focus on thundrjolts to knock him down. any suggestions?

Sorry, but you can NOT put that much focus on the QAL. It is supposed to be something that if you want you can try for at basically 0% with the toadstool setup, or if you just happen to see the situation arise where they are down. It should NOT be one of your main focuses. If you want a combo that deals a lot, work on buffered CGs, don't put so much focus on something that almost never gets pulled off in tourneys. You will lose trying.

Kantō

Smash Champion
thanks for discouraging me to think outside the box. i realize its not a convetional method of playstyle but who knows if some one gets good enough at it.....
also i saw anther vids of him doing it like 3 different times in 1 match, so i dont wanna hear that ****.
i wasnt asking if i should or shouldnt do it.

J4pu

Smash Champion
thanks for discouraging me to think outside the box. i realize its not a convetional method of playstyle but who knows if some one gets good enough at it.....
also i saw anther vids of him doing it like 3 different times in 1 match, so i dont wanna hear that ****.
i wasnt asking if i should or shouldnt do it.
what I believe rollerking was trying to inform you of is that if you are in a serious match and really want to win, trying to force a QAC lock is not your best (or even close) choice.

If you want to go on looking for more set-ups and tricks to start one I fully condone your choice, new viable ways to start QAC locks would be awesome.

in the video what you should have done is turned it into a jab lock as soon as you got to the edge-side of MK.
from personal experience/testing the most likely moves to set up a QAC lock are dair so that they get sent into a wall (obviously certain stages are necessary) and down-angled ftilt. Other than the FS set-ups of course.
I find Tjolt to be an awful method to set up for one because only the aerial ball part has enough knockback and if you're close enough to them to hit them with the aerial part, chances are you're going to get punished.

Kantō

Smash Champion
what I believe rollerking was trying to inform you of is that if you are in a serious match and really want to win, trying to force a QAC lock is not your best (or even close) choice.

If you want to go on looking for more set-ups and tricks to start one I fully condone your choice, new viable ways to start QAC locks would be awesome.

in the video what you should have done is turned it into a jab lock as soon as you got to the edge-side of MK.
from personal experience/testing the most likely moves to set up a QAC lock are dair so that they get sent into a wall (obviously certain stages are necessary) and down-angled ftilt. Other than the FS set-ups of course.
I find Tjolt to be an awful method to set up for one because only the aerial ball part has enough knockback and if you're close enough to them to hit them with the aerial part, chances are you're going to get punished.
thanks this is more the advice i was looking for. a few questions for you or anyone really:

when u say u use the Dair into a wall, u mean knocking them into a wall and they will lay on the ground?
is there a vid of this so i can visually see?

the jab is used to get him away from the edge if he gets to close?

also i see that the Dsmash gets them knocked down as well to initiate the lock if done fast enough. is this a good option? what are the chances of this working?

i also try to use the Uair FS to get them knocked down. what is the opinion on using this techinique? does damage percent affect the chances of getting the FS?

i know that the thunderjolt method of knocking them down isnt the best, but just outta curiousity, what are the chances of getting your oppenent knocked down from a thunderjolt? is it like a 50/50 chance or lower , or greater depending on percent?

sorry its a lot of questions, im just super interested in this technique and want to know as much as i can and hopefully learn all of its different ways to start the QAC lock. thanks:chuckle:

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
also i see that the Dsmash gets them knocked down as well to initiate the lock if done fast enough. is this a good option? what are the chances of this working?
Dsmash works, but it's really unpredictable.... it all depends on how they DI.

They can get sent in pretty much any direction..... up + away, off to the side, or even on the ground right next to you. It's not guaranteed that they'll end up grounded, and even if they do, you won't be able to do anything if they tech.

If they don't tech, the chances of reaching them are still pretty slim since they'll probably be moderately far away..... they can easily do a normal getup or probably even a getup attack before you can get there.

You also have to consider dsmash's cooldown lag.

The only ways you might get a lock off from a dsmash are if:
1) They don't tech (required) AND:
- 1a) they land RIGHT next to you, or
- 1b) they're godawfully slow.

i know that the thunderjolt method of knocking them down isnt the best, but just outta curiousity, what are the chances of getting your oppenent knocked down from a thunderjolt? is it like a 50/50 chance or lower , or greater depending on percent?
Greater depending on percent.... at higher percentages (we're talking pretty **** high where you can probably just kill them outright anyway), tjolt has enough knockback to knock people into the air. If they don't jump or airdodge into the ground, they'll be forced to tech.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
For the uair footstool question, the list is somewhere (Don't wanna dig up the thread) for teh %s it starts working. There is a point where you have to FH the uair to get the footstool because they are too high, and that makes it harder to read their DI off of the footstool to get the QA lock. Also, the jab is to jab lock them to thunder. If you are jab locking and then mash down-b, the sweetspot of thunder will hit.

Kantō

Smash Champion
thanks a lot guys!
can anyone else give me some more info on my other questions?

also i notice that your FS combo doesnt work on some of the more floaty characters cuz after the uptilt they go to high. are there confiremed characters this works/doesnt work on?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
An aerial jolt will always knock down a mid weight character at about 55% and it gives you a lot of time to qal them if they don't tech the knock down. SH dair is another good way to set up a qal, but I don't know the percent for it. The absolute best way to set it up is uair > footstool hands down.

Kantō

Smash Champion
An aerial jolt will always knock down a mid weight character at about 55% and it gives you a lot of time to qal them if they don't tech the knock down. SH dair is another good way to set up a qal, but I don't know the percent for it. The absolute best way to set it up is uair > footstool hands down.
now what exactly about the Dair makes them get knocked down, actually hitting them or the splash damage?

also at what percents should i start for this setup/ when does it stop working due to too much damage?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oh yeah, I was talking about grounded tjolts when I wrote my post..... forgot about aerial jolts having more knockback.

Although tbh, I'm rarely close enough to hit someone grounded/close to the ground with an aerial jolt. Most characters can punish OOS if you're that close, or if they're in the air, they have an aerial that can easily cancel it out.

J4pu

Smash Champion
For the uair footstool question, the list is somewhere (Don't wanna dig up the thread) for teh %s it starts working.
the thread is linked in the OP of this thread

about using Dair: I think both hits work fairly well, and yes, I meant hitting them so that they fly into a wall, because otherwise they tend to fly too far to give a decent chance of starting the lock.

altairian

Smash Lord
ok, so heres that luigi vid.
So mostly i need help with knowing how to approach his style, cuz the spamming is shutting me down mentaly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ5H_mZg3UM
FZies you got dis!

First thing, Luigi's fireballs can't force you to approach. They only go like 1/3 of the distance of BF. Next time you're playing him, and he throws a couple fireballs and you feel the urge to approach because of it, just run a few steps in the opposite direction. If his fireballs can't hit you, he's going to be forced to attempt something else.

I noticed you have a habit of short hopping your tjolts. Don't. I used to do the same thing, and the ending lag is awful on a SH tjolt. If you're spamming tjolts, do full hops, it allows for followups or shielding right as you land. Also you're tjolting a bit too much. One time you even ran in, power shielded a fireball, and then SH tjolted right next to him o_o

Other than that, I'd suggest working dtilt in to your ground game more. It's a much better move than it seems like. Even if you don't get a followup out of it (I'd suggest working on the timing for a dash grab after a dtilt hit since it can combo if they trip) it does pretty good damage, and it's great for spacing.

Lastly, try to speed your game up. When Anther sits still, it's actually a mindgame because he's almost always doing SOMETHING, even if it's just empty fastfalled shorthops. Being able to link things together quickly is one of the most key elements to pika's game, and once I started working on that I noticed a marked improvement in how I performed.

Hope that helps a bit! Also I have a vid against a scrubby luigi up now, it's in ENNH's recording thread, that might give you some ideas as well =)

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
thanks alt! yeah ive been working on my tilts since that match and have been tryign to cut down on the jolts. Ill check ur vid out so i can see how to play it. thanks for the input!

Anther

Smash Champion
Fzsies!!.. also realize that he's completely vulnerable while shooting fireballs the same way pika is when shooting jolts. It should be possible to time a jump and fair him when you know he's going to keep shooting fireballs the way he does...

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Would it be possible to run under a SH/FH fireball and then hit him with a smash or something?

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Would it be possible to run under a SH/FH fireball and then hit him with a smash or something?
if he ever jumps at all and uses a fireball ill keep my eye open for that oprotunity. atm ive just been watching that vid and he rolled an ungodly amoyunt of times, and i noticed he did it in 2 places. one: to get behind me if i was going to attacke him while he aproached and two: hed roll away if i was behind him or he felt insecure. I think if i wait for his rolls and watch them carefully i can bait the roll behind me wth like a dtilt and hit him when he does and when i get behind him i cld just keep runing and bait the roll and grab him out of it. Im gonna work on being unpredicatable, i got this, i just need some practice.

Kantō

Smash Champion
yea one of the better things i did for my overall game was to try and stop rolling around everywhere. its too predictable and slow. punish punish punish!!!

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
yea one of the better things i did for my overall game was to try and stop rolling around everywhere. its too predictable and slow. punish punish punish!!!
part of my problem, i belive, is that im used to playing wth ppl who do not roll and spotdodge all the time, and when i play wth him he rolls everywhere. I just need to stop and read when it is he likes to roll and try to punish it better. When he gets nervous he spot dodges or rolls, and if i can get his habits down, i know i wont lose to him anymore. I have a big problem of going on autopilot sometimes and just trying to hit him wth moves, and i need to learn how to think and react, but i honselty dont know how to develop that skill.

altairian

Smash Lord
KLO! I'm starting to think that you're putting off my critique till after we play our tourney match....

jk <3 take your time :D

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
now i think ive found my flaw when i play. so if ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE FOR THE FOLLOWING PLZ LET ME KNOW! (puts down megaphone)

1. Im nor fast enough, i shld dash more when i land and try to land behind and runing usmash in the opposite direction mroe

2. I reallllly need to work on reading, i think that is the one thing that is holding me at my current level is that ill tend to go autopilot and stop thinking which is letting me get rolled around all the time as u saw in the vid. any tips on how to get better at reading wld be great since i feel its my barrier. i know u cant really learn how to, its somethng you just do, but any help in this area wld be soooooooo appreciated!

bigman40

Smash Master
2. I reallllly need to work on reading, i think that is the one thing that is holding me at my current level is that ill tend to go autopilot and stop thinking which is letting me get rolled around all the time as u saw in the vid.

You just answered your own problems.

Edit: K I'll give some real help. Break your gameplay down. Slow it down and think as you go through the match. Keep your distance and make sure you don't overreact to stuff you shouldn't even be messing with. As you think, people that just throw moves out there can be countered by really simple shiz like walking up and Ftilting as they come down.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
yeah i knows, i just dont know how to correct it, cuz like idk how to snap out of that and pay attention to my opponets moves. idk, im wierd and need time when i think, and thinking fast and on the spot is still hard.

bigman40

Smash Master
yeah i knows, i just dont know how to correct it, cuz like idk how to snap out of that and pay attention to my opponets moves. idk, im wierd and need time when i think, and thinking fast and on the spot is still hard.
The only moment you need time is when you have to learn an entirely new playstyle, and at that point, you play extra safe to see what you can expect to see (this is why MU knowledge tends to help about 10x more). you can't really "snap out of it" if you don't get into it in the first place. You have to start recording in your head traps and moments that you took damage and where both characters were at when this happened (watching your own videos helps this). This will make you realize when that same possible scenario will come up, and if you remembered it, then you won't be falling for it.

I could write a lot more, but I'm tired.

Kantō

Smash Champion
just try and play and match and simply make a concious effort NOT to roll around. this is what i did, it helped.
although i tend to still do it sometimes. running away is much better especially against slow characters. i also us my QAC to get the hell outta something i dont like. get good at using that as a defesive manuver as well.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Finally got matches recorded...

Pikachu/Snake vs Diddy/MK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cmUdxs582o

ESAM (Pikachu) vs Chaz (Olimar/MK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYHkAmVt6ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHXbFplPhao

Me getting wrecked by shaky...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml32wxVGma0

Me vs Snipa (Ice Climbers) in a 5$ MM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvp0isXmKU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvp0isXmKU

A set vs Waft-Oli (Wario) is being uploaded and so is me/MVD vs Nick Riddle/Shaky in teams

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oooo~ Stealth vids! How unexpected!

I'm excited to see where your Pika is now.

Top Bottom