• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Sorry guys! ^^;
Vs: Marth
M1: Blah. Marth. That first stock he took off you was painful.
I noticed so far you should work on where you are vs Marth. You seemed always to be just out of range to hit him while he just hit you away.
And don't dsmash much, especially at low percents. He can SDI out and set up a tipper while you finish your move. And I think if he shields it all it's an automatic tipper dsmash from him.
Don't spotdodge Dancing Blade. Shield the whole thing and punish the ending lag with an upsmash.

M2: Fthrow to usmash is only going to work when the Marth is past 0%(I don't remember where it stops at, but you have a good sized window). Normally, you can try to bait his up-b by fthrowing and waiting then punishing, but you normally want to hit him once and then get the guaranteed damage from it.
LOL 2:28
If you are going to go for fair/dthrow -> uptilt, you should do a quick turnaround. The uptilt will come out faster and you have a better chance to hit.

Vs: Wario
M1: This Wario seemed kinda aggressive, especially at the start. You could definitely just went over to a side and waited for him to make the first move.
I didn't really feel much this match, other than he was just hitting faster than you. I know there is a chaingrab on Wario, but I don't remember which throw does it or the percents. The chaingrab thread does, though.

M2: lol, pictochat. You did a really good job using this stage to your advantage.
Wario is so good at avoiding thunder it's not even funny.
And dthrow to dsmash isn't ever really a good idea...

Vs: Lucario
Don't really bother going for dthrow or fthrow -> something else because he can just dair it and you end up taking more damage anyways. You might mindgame something, but other than that, don't bother.
YI vs lucario is just horrible, the only good thing is that shy guys might stop small aura spheres, too bad the same happens to jolts.
It's kinda irritating that he got scared at the end and ended up winning because of it.

Overall, maybe a bit too much down smash.

Hello. I have a few videos that a friend of mine asked me to post here. I'd appreciate it if you could critique them for him. All of the following are friendlies.

MJG (Pikachu) vs Mr. Doom (Ike) 1
MJG (Pikachu) vs Mr. Doom (Ike) 2
MJG (Pikachu) vs Mr. Doom (Ike) 3

MJG (Pikachu) vs SaRu (Diddy) 1
MJG (Pikachu) vs SaRu (Diddy) 2
MJG (Pikachu) vs SaRu (Diddy) 3

Thanks.

Vs: Ike
M1: If you were feeling pressured on the edge that first stock, he was in range for a quick fair, or you could have jumped back and QAed completely around him.
Bair is never really a good move to use if you are going to land on the ground in the middle of it, make sure the move will end before you hit the ground.
There is a chaingrab on Ike, definitely make use of it if you can get the grab.
Maybe don't spotdodge as much, just stay in your shield a little longer.

M2: You should stay back a little more and try to camp. Make use of u air a little more and stop fairing so much, especially to the ground. And maybe stay on the ground a bit more, Ike outranges pika in the air so hard...

M3: If you have him grabbed at a high percent, rather than an fthrow (which that actually turned out fine, so no big deal) you could do a uthrow and try to thunder or a bthrow to try and get them offstage. But your way was nice too.
And at a high percent grab, you want to pummel. Just a little extra damage helps everywhere.

Vs: Diddy
M1: Really nice. I hate diddy kong.
Everything looked really good here, you controlled everything well. I couldn't think of anything this match that really stood out.

M2: Just be careful around the bananas. You were using them really well though.

M3: Overall, not bad at all. Learn the buffer window out of grabs and work on basic things. Sorry I couldn't be much more help here, but you have a good part of it down.

1/4
Charging dsmash to punish...don't do that. You have so many better, not-sdi-able options.
A skull bash probably would have saved you a little longer off the first stock. But I dunno.
You should definitely go for regrabs instead of one grab to an upsmash. The chaingrabs on shiek go really far.
This was a weird match...

2/4
That last stock's grab could have gone much farther and just ended in nair. That's normally how I do them, rather than going for some setup to kill and possibly getting hit. And just be careful around that back air.

3/4
Lol, your kills on that stage were so funny.
Just because the stage moves doesn't mean you shouldn't keep going for the grab. It's amazingly useful in this MU. Don't force it, but don't forget it.
Also, Sheik can't really do much about jolts, other than shield. Run away moar.

4/4
Definitely watch out using random skull bash. That first stock loss was horrible.
And work on your SDI. Sheik shouldn't be able to jab -> ftilt -> anything you. It should stop at jab.
If they are throwing random needles at you, don't try to approach. Stay back and throw jolts back. You WILL win that battle. If you have to approach, don't just walk up, stay in the air.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Leaf, you're a beast with these critiques. They ain't easy (or fun lol) to do, so thank you for keeping up with them.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
@KayLo!: I try.
Do you guys like me yet?

Match 1: There are a lot of things to watch out for when fighting Toon Link. Little things that get in the way. Like arrows going through jolts, bombs stopping them, and getting in between him and his boomerang. He combos well at early percents and his bair comes out of nowhere as a good kill move. You had a problem with almost all of these things. But it's okay, because PJ really is a pretty good TL as far as the pika MU is concerned. (My bad...)
It's tough trying to play normal vs toon link. I have to remember that boomerang coming back behind me as I'm attacking, and that he can outcamp so hard it's not even funny.
You should be a little more confident when he messes up something. In most cases you have plenty of time to run in and upsmash him after he misses a grab.

Match 2: Wow, I've never seen him use so many bombs successfully. They can be tough to get around because you have to worry about that AND toon link himself, in most cases you want to come from a directly diagonal angle if you can.
I cannot believe I just watched that whole match. It was a time out.

Match 3: That upsmash...it comes from almost nowhere too. If you are at high damage, don't run at him because your shield will take too long to come out. And be careful getting back on stage with QA because all of his projectiles are really good at hitting the ridiculous hurtbox you have.
If you get caught in fsmash, SDI up as hard as you can and you might get out.
And if you catch a bomb, a quick glide toss can get you close up fast.

Match 4: Basically, that's it. I can't really see any personal problems you would have been having, just matchup problems.
Shadow1freej

Vs: G
1) Snake is a pain. Those tilts are a pain.
Don't ever run up to him, just walk. I hate his tilts.
Remember to take as much advantage as you can off the chaingrab.
And try to get him in the air with bthrow and uthrow. He is so much worse there it almost seems fair.

2) Sonic is just weird. If he is running around with all these fast attacks, just sit there and wait, then counter when you get the opportunity. I've never fought any sonic really extensively (despite being around espy a lot) but it seems like that would work okay.
Also remember that there is a chaingrab on sonic.

3) When it comes to sonic, it almost seems best to stay still and let him come to you. Believe in the tiny shield you have and hit back when you can. Only bother with jolts if he's far enough away from you, too, because he's so fast.

Wait these other pikas aren't even you.
...do they want them critiqued?

Match 1: I agree with your hate for g&w. I actually was taken out of tournament by one this weekend.
I'm not gonna lie, this match almost looked like I was watching Melee for a second...
If g&w is spamming smashes or dtilt, just get away. If he keeps up, go from the air and be ready for him to upsmash/tilt.
When he gets at kill percents, you can bait a bucket by shooting a jolt at him. If he catches it, it's a free upsmash that can kill. But you can only do this twice, the third bucket catch doesn't have much lag at all.

Match 2: Don't really bother trying to hit him from directly under. The key beats everything, you will trade hits and it's not really worth it. If you come from a diagonal angle, you can hit him, but the angles are weird. I perfer to AD and hit him on the ground, or avoid him completely.

You could have probably survived the first kill, even with the negative DI.
That edgeguard was weird, I wasn't sure if you used your dj or not. But you didn't send him out far enough for that kind of thunder.
Be careful when you use thunder vs G&W because it's really annoying when it's bucketed. It reaches so far. Snake uptilt status.

Match 3: Don't be so obvious when you go to thunder. After you hit upwards, don't always do thunder if they have a bucket, projectile recovery, or reflector(unless you have a platform or jump out of the way first.) You can bait the bucket and nair/uair him or if he is too high make him dair and punish that if you can.

G&W is the kind of character you have to use your biggest ranged moves on.
Pika...doesn't have those. So, you shouldn't bother attacking from the air because he's just gonna hit you with his credit card. You have to be careful going to him from the ground because his fast, good reach smashes. And you can't stay back and camp (unless he has a full bucket...he should have that, but if he does, stay away.)
Sometimes I feel like you just have to get lucky in this MU sometimes. Good thing he's light.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I WON I WON I WON! THIS PAGE SHALL BE DOMINATED BY LEAF'S PARAGRAPHS OF HARSH CRITIQUE!
I'm so happy...MOAR VIDS PEOPLE.

Vs: Keromeri (Rob)
1) You could probably go for kill moves a little more often...
Rob is easy to do combos from grabs and when you are below him. Get him up above you and hit from below.
He's easy to hit with thunder too. Even though he is kinda heavy, vertical seems to be the way you can get a lot of kills.
I also noticed that you could grab more and stop tjolting from so close. I know it's BF but he was practically under you some of the times.

2) Don't be predictable on your recovery. Diagonal down->Diagonal up is unique, but it ALWAYS has to be mixed up at some point, and you've done that almost every time.
A defensive playing ROB can be tough to handle. The gyro can stop jolts, and his tilts can stop you. Make it a priority to get his gyro and you can make him approach.
Using an AD grab on the gyro works well, apparently. Do that.
Personally, I try not to worry about ROB much on the edge. He has too much jump and his uair is a pain. Just let him get back and work on what happens when he will get off the ledge instead.

3) Nothing much here, just jolting at too close of a range a few times really. Good job!
I don't wanna be mean to that guy, but he doesn't seem like too good of a ROB. I kinda don't see how you were having trouble at times in these vids vs him...
Still not trying to be mean...

Vs: Care and Graffiti
1) SH dair. It's great, but I think you use it too much to approach. There are plenty of times when nair or a grab would have beat the spotdodge out. After a few times, SH dair is easy to see coming.
You have to be careful QAing around Lucario. His AS and crazy hitboxes can punch right through it.
You don't want to do anything that will leave you open if Lucario has a high level of aura. If he can hit you with any strong move, you are ****ed.
I said it somewhere before, but don't bother trying to do any throw -> an attack because you just get daired at some point.

2) I just need to stress that you are jolting too close again. It's a really bad thing.
Especially against Lucario. If he is at a high aura level, do NOT jolt at him unless you are very far away. A good charged AS will eat through all of them and hit you as you land. You really need the space to be able to shield it.
Dair is a problem. Like G&W, just don't bother going under him. Avoid it.

3) You kinda just ***** here and I don't really think anything else is necessary. Good job!

Either do I :D

Here have I another match against a good DDD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EjeFiUexl4

Enjoy :)
You bet:
Wow, that was an intense match...
You did really good comboing at the beginning. Remember to stay kinda far away from him because his inhale+hammer have really good range. I didn't see them at all this match but it's good to note that waddle dee can stop tjolts and serve as a shield.
There isn't much to say here, you were just on fire!

Can you help me out with my pikachu and enjoy my pika :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEY2dUjI8iU
Roller hit it hard when he said the things about dair and dsmash. They are a new-pika's best friend but at higher levels they really backfire often.
You also want to work on DI and momentum cancel. Uair->Skull Bash is it, but you only want to Skull bash if you need it. I saw you get hit out of SB a couple times.
You don't want to force a grab. It can be punished easily. It's not even worth it vs diddy, either. Just take it if the opportunity comes.
Pika really isn't the character you want to constantly challenge things with. The lack of long reach attacks(especially in the air) means it's better to sit back and let them move first than try to hit them as they do it.

So I picked up a Pikachu but I can't seem to get a kill of well. What am I doing wrong?!

Zephyros(FC)vs.Kuares(PK).1

A few things I noticed:
Almost always jump before jolts. And don't do them close when the character has a reflector, you will just get hit by your own move. (Actually, don't do it close at all...)
Avoid Skull Bashing when it's not necessary. Falco can easily spike it, even with a trade hit.
Work on not dropping grabs. x.x

Killing:
Pika's main kill moves are going to be Usmash, Fsmash, nair, and if the situation is appropriate, Thunder.
Upsmash is horribly obvious.
Fsmash is horribly laggy.
Nair has horrible reach.
If the move can land, it gets the job done well. But you generally will have to either get a good thunder or mindgame into a kill move. Pika doesn't have many good kill setups. Experience is really the only way.
But if they get high enough percents off your failed moves, remember utilt and ftilt. I've done it millions of times, and it works great if the other moves don't.

posting so i can watch them later, since this thread is moving much slower than the Siis4 one

Legan (Link) vs. King~ (Pikachu) 1
Legan (Link) vs. King~ (Pikachu) 2
Legan (Link) vs. King~ (Pikachu) 3

Did you want these critiqued too or just storing them?

Firzy

Smash Rookie
GG,you've done a great job against him (i've only seen the 1st match yet ^^' )
I can't help you for this MU,i really don't know how to play against Olimar.
Are those matchs wifi matchs?

PZ

Smash Lord
GG,you've done a great job against him (i've only seen the 1st match yet ^^' )
I can't help you for this MU,i really don't know how to play against Olimar.
Are those matchs wifi matchs?
I dont think he wanted a critique anyway and was this at a tournament or friendlies volt?

Im pretty sure this wasn't wifi cuz I dont think brood wifis.....and if you was playing with the textures there should've been a desynch.

Zodiark

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oveoMVhA7w

Sorry for poor quality.I was lazy to record this in high definition and I wanted to try my new Android smartphone. =O

That's against a good marth, sorry for the moment we don't attack, my friend had a problem with his controller.
I'd like to have critiques if ppl is okay (Leaf? :D).

PS: Yea I know I could jump at the end but I didn't.No ideas why.Thats friendlies anyway I won't do this @ tournaments!

Edit: Thats pretty good quality ultimately

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Les seuls conseils que je peux te donner c'est de faire gaffe aux airdodges, contre Marth ca pardonne pas ; si tu peux pas fast fall, n'squive pas en l'air vs Marth. Au pire, envoie des aerial au piff, mais je sais que c'est dur. ^^

Fait attention aux vive attaque aussi...

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I wish I were better at this game so I could give better critiques. :/

posting so i can watch them later, since this thread is moving much slower than the Siis4 one

Legan (Link) vs. King~ (Pikachu) 1
Legan (Link) vs. King~ (Pikachu) 2
Legan (Link) vs. King~ (Pikachu) 3
Vs Link
1) Link is one of those characters that's gonna kill early. Personally, I never see it coming. That combined with his projectiles (which are still a pain to me, toon or not) make me semi-struggle with this.
Work on your punishes. Sometimes you dodge rolled or dsmashed when you had a low percent grab or an fsmash opportunity.
Always beware around that camping. Even if he is big and slow, he's still a pain to get to sometimes. The bombs stopping jolts so well can be tough, try to angle a dj jolt where it hits him before it hits the ground.

2) Gotta work on SDI. Don't let him combo like that.
He pulled off some fancy stuff this match, and it kinda looks like you lost your nerve halfway through. Just don't worry about previous mistakes, clear your mind, and keep going.
wtf at all the Legan meatriders on that video's comments?

3) You should be the one comboing him on low percents. Get him up into the air quick and hit him from below. Dair is scary, but it's possible to see it coming.
Also, I thought chaingrabs on link lasted longer than what I've seen? I don't know if you are messing up or if he can actually get out of them, it would be worth looking into.

Got matches with Brood

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdJJyiLSf6M
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xYQkBRwNmQ
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpMv0y-hyvo

Don't judge me, its not that he's good, I need to know this mu's pikman effects better.
1) UGH BROODS PURPLE RATE. When fighting Olimar, I think I heard that fair is gonna beat all his smashes except yellow and purple (it was late in the xat, I don't remember.) I haven't really had the chance to fight an olimar since I decided to rethink what I'm doing on the MU, but I'll say what I can.
Don't do smashes vs olimar if you aren't 100% sure it will hit. You can get hit by grabs to upsmash or spinny attack to upsmash.
Priority one will ALWAYS be to get white pik off of you.
I don't think anyone should be running from olimar unless you are being combo'ed. Running just gives him more camp, a fight that he will win. If he doesn't have a yellow or purple in his line or next in it, AGRESS.

2) Keep running at him and attacking and push him off the ledge and edgeguard him and he dies and you win and I hate him so much. Stupid olimar.
Keep an eye on his pikmin. Run in if it's not yellow or purple, and if it is let him throw it and then treat it like its nana. Beat the **** out of it. Then go after him.
Also, watch out when you tech/get up. All I saw was the basic get up. Mix it up with rolling or get up attack.

3)Down smash isn't something smart to use against olimar. It's so slow and a yellow will go straight through it to hit you iirc.
I just hate olimar. I can't think of anything to say about this MU.

1) If you are in a close range situtuation, dsmash isn't really your best idea. A grab would have been good. Just watch out for him outranging you and know the spacing for tippers so you can stay away from that.
But you really didn't have trouble with that anyways.
lol, dair.

2) Be careful about being too close when you jolt. If you are aiming for them and not the ground, double jump instead of running so close.
And watch out for fair. It can be really unexpected and is a good kill move.

Sorry, I really didnt' see a lot in this match. I'll watch the videos later again and see if I can catch anything else, but your opponent was too scrub...no offense.

gallax

Smash Hero
I should get my recent vids of my pikachu in tourney up soon. Probably be a good idea. Especially since they are against diddy and marth. Yeah, and against mk and gaw and a few others.

King~

Smash Champion
well this is working to your favor, since your looking for this stuff it should be come more clear to you over time.

i learned along time not to challenge links dair, its just not worth it sometime

PZ

Smash Lord
well this is working to your favor, since your looking for this stuff it should be come more clear to you over time.

i learned along time not to challenge links dair, its just not worth it sometime
Dude dont believe that I sooner challenge it with falcon punch or cf down taunt and still make it out ok of course I die sooner cuz 1 we clank so yea whoever is in kill percent range loses and 2 link has better di if used right overall i(cf) lose<.<

Hmmz Leaf your right about being better at the game to notice more stuff but still if you were any better we might aswell give u the video thread....:awesome:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
*Insert random CFL is a bad region in FL talk here*

<3 Gallax. Thanks for helping with BBR shtuffs :D

Top Bottom