• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Make sure you have a tutorial. I do it alot too but some characters I dont want to but my top 3 fav characters I do want too.
I'll try to explain what I do yes... But that **** is pretty hard and easy as hell to accomplish at the same time. @.@

I think it's a matter of timing rather than handling.

Last time I tried, I was looking for a common reference to have a higher success rate, but I don't get the stuff to use TAS or sumthin' to concoct a real tutorial strictly speaking.

I'll do my best to be understandable. ^^

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
I just checked my mails and I saw my order for my Dazzle-like will be shipped only from December 20. >.>

I'll try to make that **** with a friend of mine, the one who recorded my match.

@ Metatitan :

I can't see the video =(

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
@ Seven : J'ai pas de qoui la faire justement s'te vid ! xD J'l'ai ferais chez Yami~ à la prochaine occasion.

@ Metatitan : Nice Pikachu !

Good use of Fltilts, and no "shadow boxing" lol...

Post some others vids. ^^

PS : I'm not good at critique so I'll let people do it.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Volt, Zodiark, you wanted yours critiqued too?

Friendly match vs Trevonte's mk. Opinions would be nice, critique would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIPID3CLM1M
I noticed, you didn't really show a lot of fear this match. lol, at the beginning you were both really close to each other, you seemed a little vulnerable just jumping around. But it worked out.
I would say to work on getting back, you SBed kinda close a few times, and I know from experience that isn't good, especially against MK. And your quick attacks seemed to be going the same direction every time, within his area to hit you.
You did some really good things when you rushed into him, but also some bad stuff. Work on getting away if your rush goes wrong so he won't be able to hit you back too hard.
Remember when getting up from the ledge, you should try to avoid just climbing up, especially over 100%. That's what caused your death 2, almost 3 times.
When jumping out to chase an enemy with thunder, you might want to do the thunder as you do the second jump instead of after and wavebounce(I think that's what it is?) it so you don't have to recover so low.

Also, Prime K Prime Buizel Pika board moderator should totally add my MM to the OP.

Metatitan

Smash Master
@ Seven : J'ai pas de qoui la faire justement s'te vid ! xD J'l'ai ferais chez Yami~ à la prochaine occasion.

@ Metatitan : Nice Pikachu !

Good use of Fltilts, and no "shadow boxing" lol...

Post some others vids. ^^

PS : I'm not good at critique so I'll let people do it.
Lol thanks, I'll see if I can get my dazzle back from a friend.

Volt, Zodiark, you wanted yours critiqued too?

I noticed, you didn't really show a lot of fear this match. lol, at the beginning you were both really close to each other, you seemed a little vulnerable just jumping around. But it worked out.
I would say to work on getting back, you SBed kinda close a few times, and I know from experience that isn't good, especially against MK. And your quick attacks seemed to be going the same direction every time, within his area to hit you.
You did some really good things when you rushed into him, but also some bad stuff. Work on getting away if your rush goes wrong so he won't be able to hit you back too hard.
Remember when getting up from the ledge, you should try to avoid just climbing up, especially over 100%. That's what caused your death 2, almost 3 times.
When jumping out to chase an enemy with thunder, you might want to do the thunder as you do the second jump instead of after and wavebounce(I think that's what it is?) it so you don't have to recover so low.

Also, Prime K Prime Buizel Pika board moderator should totally add my MM to the OP.
Thanks, I'll make sure to work on that ;o
I should probably post on these boards more often :x

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
It is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r91HYXMjo8

Offline friendlies against a pretty good Kirby.

Yea the glitch works on those neutrals, I just managed to do this on YI.
LOLOL that last kill.
I notice that you punish with d-smash a lot. You might want to do a u-tilt or an arial oos instead, he got out of dsmash way too easy.
Another thing, a few times when you were falling, you went to the enemy to hit him, but he just went around and baired you again. You may want to move away from the enemy.
You were jolting a little close to him, sometimes he was almost under you. That's really punishable, you want space between you and who you are jolting so you don't get hit out of it.
Be careful air dodging as you hit the ground, you got read on that a good number of times. Fall with an arial or QA to get away.

Edit:
I should probably post on these boards more often :x
You should.

There, I did it. Are you happy now!? ARE YOU!?
Yes.
Do you not like me prime? ;;

bigman40

Smash Master
Friendly match vs Trevonte's mk. Opinions would be nice, critique would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIPID3CLM1M
You were doing so good in the beginning....When you got grabbed you took tons of damage after that. Namely from trying to momentum cancel a few times when you didn't need to. If you're not in danger of dying, then you have no real need to momentum cancel.

For the most part, if you QAC, you should always remember that the 2nd half of it (if canceled) has BSL. So, when you're landing you'll have extra lag than normal, which then you're best option is to normally cancel it with the first QAC away from your opponent. (example is at 1:32)

When skullbashing like that, be careful because you can get SLed (almost did at 1:35), which would be a horrible way to lose a stock. I learned it the hard way, so sometimes just QAC onto the stage if he gets aggressive like that. Yet, SBing to the ledge doesn't mean it's bad, I just think you did some at bad times.

Ledge getups. They suck in general.

Careful when using TJ. Since MK has a quick dash, he can turn a seemingly safe one into a dangerous one (where he punished you with Ftilt).

Careful when spotdodging too. From what I noticed, you almost always spotdodge after using autocanceled Dairs.

About 4:16 you had a chance to hit him with Nair. Pika's waiting time on the ledge isn't as long as others, and you should take advantage of it if people aren't being more careful.

DI at the end. Also don't use the ledge getups so quickly. You can still jump into the **** while on the ledge, and it showed. You should just regrab the ledge a few times so you can think of the situation and choose the best option.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
I can't help you for that matchup... I use Mk against Peach ! xD

New vidz from a tourney...

I tought I could handle MKs, but in fact, against a REAL MK, I SUCK LIKE WHOA >.>

Before watching the *****, U gotta know Bjay and I had some probs to adapt to the screen.

I'ld like to know where I should insist or somethin' (exept chain grabs and tjolts maybe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFlVxlTPkFg&feature=related R1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYYa0gGeCQ&feature=related R2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwNU8EM30jA&feature=related R3

I gotta do more tourniez to see what my Pika's really worth. ~

EDIT : One more thing, I'LL LEARN TO DI

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
That sunset DI, lol.

Against MK, I usually DI up if I think he'll go for a kill move..... because MK rarely gets a vertical kill unless it's a dummy Shuttle Loop (a.k.a. the part that sends you straight up).

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Couple of friendly matches matches vs SSR. Would like help against Peach plz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_34YlvBZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh8yAT-Q4ao
Sorry about being a little late...

Video 1: OH SNAP. Beautiful finish right there...
Now, vs. Peach, you have to do three things: 1: DJ thunder jolts and aim for her, then move back 2: Run away at low percents 3: Smart aggression at high percents.
She will float over tjolts very easily, so double jumping them will give you the distance you need to aim for her and still be able to keep your distance.
You can be combo'ed early in the stock to very high amounts of damage (Freaking Illmatic) and it's tough to come back from that since you don't have anything solid back.
When you are both late in the stock, you have the advantage. She doesn't even need that much damage on her, as compared to what you need to be killed. If you watch out for fair, and maybe upsmash if you are in the air, she will have a tough time killing any pika with amazing DI. YOU, on the other hand, have many things to get her up into the air, and from there, THUNDER! THUNDER! THUNDER! because her air dodge sucks and if you read her, you will have an easier-than-usual time hitting. Her light weight makes it kill very early, too.

Video 2: You definitely want to avoid being in the air much at all against peach. She just beats it out too easily.
You also were getting hit by turnips too many times in a row. Don't run to enemies with projectiles at all, walk and be ready to shield. Running takes so much more time to get the shield up and you can't be ready for what they want to throw.
Nice chase with the nair, that's definitely a good trade and what some more people should do. But don't QA through her at all. Her nair is fast, lasts for a while, and can be tough to just break through. Plus, random QA on the ground can get you hit with a turnip, so be careful with that.
Don't do things like random f-smashes when you are both at high percents, she can punish those for the kill. Keep with fast moves.

One last thing, general rule, don't Skull Bash when it's unnecessary. Everyone punishes that.

EDIT: I'm going to get at the new vids posted right now, wish I saw them 10 minutes ago...
EDIT: I actually can't, I have 20 minutes until work and that wouldn't be enough time to have a good review over these videos...

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
Couple of friendly matches matches vs SSR. Would like help against Peach plz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_34YlvBZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh8yAT-Q4ao
Its not really the DI, but those skull bashes you recover with. You've gotta learn that that move is easily taken care of by people who are smart. As for the mk, he did a decent job at reading you like Kaylo and the new Harry Potter Movie. =[
Skull Bashes should only be used to DI, not recover.

=.

Captain L

Smash Champion
More videos! Both of my losing sets, and one winning set that was recorded.
vs Cheezeman :zerosuitsamus: M1+M2 $$$
vs Asa :olimar: / :wario: M1 M2 M3 M4 $$$
vs Bundtcake :rob: M1 M2 M3 M4 $$$

Match 2 wasn't recorded, but it was me losing on PS2.

So yeah, me vs olimar has gotten worse since last time, I tried to be more aggressive and it obviously didn't work out.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Matches of moi. Singles from Frag For Cancer 5

vs Nyke :ike: WB M1 M2
vs White :dedede: M2 (only one recorded)
vs BillyBeeGood :metaknight: Match1 / :popo: Match2 / :metaknight: Match3
vs Nyke :ike: LB Match1 Match2 Match3
vs Croi :wario: Match1 Match2 Match3

Much thanks to ElnoNombreHombre for recording them singles, and recording in HD.

Doubles from SNOBOT1:

Set 1:
Lamb :pika: and BillyBeeGood :snake: vs Croi :wario: and Nyke :ike:
Match1
Match2
Match3
Match4
Match5

Set 2
Lamb :pikachu: and BillyBeeGood :snake: vs Croi :wario: and Nyke :ike:
Match6
Match7
Match8 BillyBeeGood switches to Marth for this one.
Match9
Match10

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I can't help you for that matchup... I use Mk against Peach ! xD

New vidz from a tourney...

I tought I could handle MKs, but in fact, against a REAL MK, I SUCK LIKE WHOA >.>

Before watching the *****, U gotta know Bjay and I had some probs to adapt to the screen.

I'ld like to know where I should insist or somethin' (exept chain grabs and tjolts maybe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFlVxlTPkFg&feature=related R1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYYa0gGeCQ&feature=related R2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwNU8EM30jA&feature=related R3

I gotta do more tourniez to see what my Pika's really worth. ~

EDIT : One more thing, I'LL LEARN TO DI

R1: I really like the way you were moving early in this round. Sadly he was reading, and just swatting you away. He spaced and read vs. you really well, I couldn't feel like you could have done much more than you did.
When You were falling, he was just hitting you right back up. You don't always have to fall to hit an opponent, especially metaknight. Just get away and touch the ground safely, then prepare for what happens.
You also really gotta watch that skull bash...

R2: 2:25 Was amazing. Went "OH" really loud. Probably woke someone up.
Throughout these matches, I kinda feel like you are holding yourself back, lacking confidence.

R3: I feel like you are using your moves, but not using them the right way. More experience is all you need, really. Watch some of the other videos, play more, and you can get it all down.

Uploaded my final video of the year:
Pikachu training day volume 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erSFNaBHcwY&feature=recentu

Uploaded today..but recorded in october..

Feel free to critique.. i dont play much nowadays.. but it would be interesting to hear some of your opinions..
are you guys still brawling?
BKING...yay!
VS ROB: ROB is weird to fight...I play the MU fairly often and I still can't figure it out. Below or behind, I move quick to him, above and in front, I run away. He has a lot of long range attacks that result in me camping a lot, and grabbing his gyro really helps me there. I don't think its as much of a case as he can't use it, but more of a mental thing, knowing I took away one of his better moves/projectiles.

VS LUIGI: You seem to be using dsmash a lot, and he SDI's it well. Be careful of that.
I can't really say much here. I don't know Luigi much...good job though!

More videos! Both of my losing sets, and one winning set that was recorded.
M1: I'm noticing a few too many close-range jolts. Be careful of those, you can eat a dsmash from it. But you are really good at getting into an enemies zone to rack damage. I saw that when a hit was started, you were hit by a good string before finally getting out/getting hit away.
Maybe a little work on QA control, you were being hit out of it, or would mess up and be in freefall. Also, careful on rushing in, although you did a good job most of the time, you did get hit a few times.

M2: Vs Zamus, I make it a priority to get rid of the suit asap. But you did good using it against your opponent.
At some points, you seemed like you were being really obvious about going for the kill. Comebacks can come back from that, just stay calm and be ready to punish.

Actually...sorry about these. Just, screw olimar for now. ;;

M1: Gyro is annoying as hell, huh?
Be careful of dair still, it's not really a safe move in a lot of situations. Downsmash too, you were punished out of both of them numerous times.
May want to avoid laggy moves in general, unless you are very sure it will connect. This character...just too good at punishing.

M2: Captain L has pretty good taste in CPs imo.
Sexy QA lock.
But I don't really see the point in using a skull bash if you charge it some after being hit, unless you are getting closer to the stage with it and you know you will survive.
The way you used that stage almost reminds me of me on that stage. <3 PS2 forever.

Stopping here for tonight, sorry. I'll be back tomorrow after I've got some sleep.

Roller

Smash Legend
Ok, being Pika/ICs I have something to say about this mu. First of all I do think you are a good pika, but you definitely need to learn this mu better. You did a number of major no-no's.

The IC player... He needs a lot of help just in general because there was not a lot he was doing right at all. But unless that guy comes around asking for critique, I'll save it.

For you, I guess I'll do my critique in this fancy, "listing the exact time first, then commenting on what happened there" style.

SO.

0:08- You can mash out there. You NEED to mash out there. A halfway decent ICs would have killed you right then. Not try to spike a character that will obviously be able to recover, like a moron. Bottom line, if you don't learn to mash, a decent ICs has that kill on you right off the bat. So definitely learn it. I could give you a more detailed description of how to get out asap in the pikaxat. But if I were you I'd talk to pikapika about it. As he is the best masher I've ever seen. And it helps SO MUCH in this mu to be able to get out at those low percents when he is waiting for nana to catch up.

0:33- Nooooo. lol I winced when I saw this. Any capable IC will EASILY pivot grab that. Never do that for anything but recovery vs ICs. Certainly not right into them. That should have been stock 2. Make sure not to give away those freebees like that.

0:41- A note on QACing through the ICs, it can be ok to do this rarely, but not too much, as it is possible for them to grab you out of it. (Granted that would take an ICs that knew the mu really well)

0:45- Could have separated them with Dsmash there.

0:48- Definitely don't QAC and land right in front of them, you see what happens. Should have been 3rd kill right there.

0:52- You know what I'm going to say.

0:55-Thunder there. Nana will always run/DI right past you if you are between her and popo. Right into thunder. Trust me, thunder is godly vs nana after they're separated. You can even follow with another one right away to kill her. Just read her DI (will always be predictably towards popo).

1:11- Why didn't you just thunder her again right away and kill her? Popo couldn't have done anything about it.

1:21- You can mash out there at that percent. Especially if he is waiting on nana as he was.

1:33-1:45- THAT is what you do. Good s**t.

2:05- Don't use a jolt there. Goes for any character.

2:28- LOL, happens to the best of us sometimes.

2:40- Good use of thunder.

2:43- Don't DI towards them after jolting from that distance, too easy to PS and grab, which he did. Another should have been death.

2:55- Again, don't land anywhere NEAR the ICs from a QAC. too easy to grab you. Yet another should have been death.

After that- Good use of Dsmashes, thunders, and nair for the rest of the match. That's how you should have played the whole time. Those are the 3 key moves imo vs ICs. whenever you see them even the slightest bit desynched, and in Dsmash range, go for it. Nana's lag time means she will get hit, if not her and popo. Nair is pretty safe, and thunder ***** when they are separated.

Hope that helped a bit, sorry if I seemed a bit harsh there. Again, I think you probably just don't have many good ICs in your area, so you probably don't know the mu well. ICs is one of the two MUs you have to play very different than any other mu for. (other being diddy)

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Ok, being Pika/ICs I have something to say about this mu. First of all I do think you are a good pika, but you definitely need to learn this mu better. You did a number of major no-no's.

The IC player... He needs a lot of help just in general because there was not a lot he was doing right at all. But unless that guy comes around asking for critique, I'll save it.

For you, I guess I'll do my critique in this fancy, "listing the exact time first, then commenting on what happened there" style.

SO.

(critique here)
That was very helpful, thank you.

"sorry if I seemed a bit harsh there."
Nope. It's what is required.

He is the best local IC, haha. We do not have a big scene.

Roller

Smash Legend
That was very helpful, thank you.

"sorry if I seemed a bit harsh there."
Nope. It's what is required.

He is the best local IC, haha. We do not have a big scene.
Yeah, I figured. Nowhere has many ICs at first. Then you get one ICs player in the area who actually learns what they're doing.. Then everyone picks them up. Then you do. Then you know what it is like to play in Michigan. lol

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Yeah, I figured. Nowhere has many ICs at first. Then you get one ICs player in the area who actually learns what they're doing.. Then everyone picks them up. Then you do. Then you know what it is like to play in Michigan. lol
We had this particular player pick up IC and start chaining people. So instead of people picking them up (they probably would have), IC's chains got banned. Then he picked up MK and he got banned. Thus, he made the quote: "Welcome to NS. We ban MK and lose to Ikes."

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
You know me.
You just don't know it.
Lol ! xD

R1: I really like the way you were moving early in this round. Sadly he was reading, and just swatting you away. He spaced and read vs. you really well, I couldn't feel like you could have done much more than you did.
When You were falling, he was just hitting you right back up. You don't always have to fall to hit an opponent, especially metaknight. Just get away and touch the ground safely, then prepare for what happens.
You also really gotta watch that skull bash...
Indeed, Bj was too good, and he played a good Pika his previous match. I didn't really play safe (I don't really know how to do it lol) and for that Bside... LOL a fffffuuu**** bad habit I'll eradicate very soon... I hope lol.

R2: 2:25 Was amazing. Went "OH" really loud. Probably woke someone up.
Throughout these matches, I kinda feel like you are holding yourself back, lacking confidence.
Lmao! That was really like "OH" U know, and I felt it pass... For my lack of confidence, U just gotta watch my tag lol. Bjay is like one of the best (if it's not DA bess) MK in Europe nowadays, so...
But it's true, I still have done better. ^^"
>I won't fail at QAL again.

R3: I feel like you are using your moves, but not using them the right way. More experience is all you need, really. Watch some of the other videos, play more, and you can get it all down.
Once again, U're ****** right. I gotta play tops (or play simply) more often, and learn these ****** matchups once for all (did I hear holidayz ?!).

Leaf.'ve read in me as in a book... pretty scary o.o
But I like it ! xD
Thx.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
hey Le Syd, first off love ur platform cancels! Second, against an MK like him, you dont wana play fast, once u do that, ur playing MK;s game, and you DONT want to be playing mks game, cuz he will **** u. BJay was throwin out tons of moves and even tho he was stayin back, he was just fakin, he was actually really aggressive. play slow, get him to the point where he will come to you. That can be very hard to do but you just wana make him attack you first, cuz its really tough to get in on mk when he plays slow, but when hes agro, slow and steady gets that jv4

Top Bottom