• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone still mind critiquing my pikachu? I'm not good at being patient. :/

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Honestly, Blu, I wouldn't hold my breath for a critique if I were you. This board's really lazy when it comes to doing them. :ohwell: Myself included.

Sucks, but that's how it is for the time being. Keep asking, though! You never know who might end up with a spare moment.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Guess I'll start back up on this. But I get 3 stocked by falcos, so don't take me seriously. I'm gonna stop using that excuse and get off my *** to do something. :awesome:
Guys... don't wanna be rude or anything but.. it's been over two weeks x)
Video 1: I notice you use QA a lot. You should watch that vs toon link, you will just run into projectiles that way. I also try to stay grounded if they are attacking from the air. Excellent thunder off the first stock. If an opponent isn't knocked very high in the air, don't follow them with thunder. They can get down and punish.

Video 2: Watch out getting combo'd early in a stock, be ready to DI away really fast if you need to. TL does better early in the stock, but you do better later.
omg :34 you got a footstool so close to the ground, I would have laughed if you locked him.
Watch your Dsmash and Dair, IMO there were better options in some of the situations. And you gotta watch his Usmash, be ready at the most obvious times for it.

Video 3: Don't roll backwards vs. bananas. Don't roll at all really. Hold your ground and learn to Psheild if you don't already know. 2:15 haha dsmash killed. You wanna be careful randomly dashing at diddy kong if he has a banana in his hand. Maybe just walk, so you can shield faster. I feel like you could have lasted longer on both the first and second stocks if you had momentum canceled properly, but everyone makes mistakes.

Video 4: Excellent taking his first stock. Nice second stock too. I'm not seeing much more here than what I haven't covered already. AND the third. You punished really well that match. Just remember to be careful when he has bananas.
Can I get a list of what was legal for stages and how counterpicking works? Diddy generally excels on long stages.

Video 5: I've noticed throughout these videos that you constantly go for your first option. If you are going for a FF fair, and they are shielding, stop yourself and let yourself land and just grab them. (I have the same habit, I know it's not easy to break that one.)

You might want to incorporate your down throw a little more. There are a TON of threads around here (see the directory) to explain a lot of things that can be done with it. Sometimes, d-throw->nair might be a better option than F-throw->U-smash.
Your punishing ability is downright amazing, it's very obvious that you main Ike.

Vs Luigi: Use tilts, move around more. I don't really know that MU well, so I can't help you there, but I do know you should be moving around more. Just watch out for his jabs and airs.
Spend some time working on the QA. Getting it down right just takes practice.
This just seemed to be a slow paced game. I feel when you were standing there, you could have been doing something. There were a few points where we would walk up, you two would stare down for a second, and he would kick you.

Vs MK: You are definitely moving in the right direction. You just need more experience. Work on DI and momentum canceling. Again, be careful just standing there. Good job getting around his last hit.

Vs Snake 1: Be careful with QA here, all the explosions can make it difficult. Whenever you go to chase an opponent with thunder, you may want to move to the left or right and try to follow their DI, instead of just standing there. 3:15 I saw the most amazing chance to cypher grab him...something you should go for, at least for the lulz. Also work on the buffer for F-throw, when done right he shouldn't be able to pull grenades.
Wait, never mind. You kinda had it right after I said that.

I'll do the rest later, I have to go. :D

PZ

Smash Lord
Guess I'll start back up on this. But I get 3 stocked by falcos, so don't take me seriously. I'm gonna stop using that excuse and get off my *** to do something. :awesome:

Video 1: I notice you use QA a lot. You should watch that vs toon link, you will just run into projectiles that way. I also try to stay grounded if they are attacking from the air. Excellent thunder off the first stock. If an opponent isn't knocked very high in the air, don't follow them with thunder. They can get down and punish.

Video 2: Watch out getting combo'd early in a stock, be ready to DI away really fast if you need to. TL does better early in the stock, but you do better later.
omg :34 you got a footstool so close to the ground, I would have laughed if you locked him.
Watch your Dsmash and Dair, IMO there were better options in some of the situations. And you gotta watch his Usmash, be ready at the most obvious times for it.

Video 3: Don't roll backwards vs. bananas. Don't roll at all really. Hold your ground and learn to Psheild if you don't already know. 2:15 haha dsmash killed. You wanna be careful randomly dashing at diddy kong if he has a banana in his hand. Maybe just walk, so you can shield faster. I feel like you could have lasted longer on both the first and second stocks if you had momentum canceled properly, but everyone makes mistakes.

Video 4: Excellent taking his first stock. Nice second stock too. I'm not seeing much more here than what I haven't covered already. AND the third. You punished really well that match. Just remember to be careful when he has bananas.
Can I get a list of what was legal for stages and how counterpicking works? Diddy generally excels on long stages.

Video 5: I've noticed throughout these videos that you constantly go for your first option. If you are going for a FF fair, and they are shielding, stop yourself and let yourself land and just grab them. (I have the same habit, I know it's not easy to break that one.)

You might want to incorporate your down throw a little more. There are a TON of threads around here (see the directory) to explain a lot of things that can be done with it. Sometimes, d-throw->nair might be a better option than F-throw->U-smash.
Your punishing ability is downright amazing, it's very obvious that you main Ike.

Vs Luigi: Use tilts, move around more. I don't really know that MU well, so I can't help you there, but I do know you should be moving around more. Just watch out for his jabs and airs.
Spend some time working on the QA. Getting it down right just takes practice.
This just seemed to be a slow paced game. I feel when you were standing there, you could have been doing something. There were a few points where we would walk up, you two would stare down for a second, and he would kick you.

Vs MK: You are definitely moving in the right direction. You just need more experience. Work on DI and momentum canceling. Again, be careful just standing there. Good job getting around his last hit.

Vs Snake 1: Be careful with QA here, all the explosions can make it difficult. Whenever you go to chase an opponent with thunder, you may want to move to the left or right and try to follow their DI, instead of just standing there. 3:15 I saw the most amazing chance to cypher grab him...something you should go for, at least for the lulz. Also work on the buffer for F-throw, when done right he shouldn't be able to pull grenades.
Wait, never mind. You kinda had it right after I said that.

I'll do the rest later, I have to go. :D
Nice work SIR!

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Thanks a lot for the critique!

I'd be proud if I was the pikachu ("punishing ability" being downright amazing and all =D) but it's my friend's one . I'll tell him to try and play Ike x)
I'll be sure to translate your critique for him, thanks from him too.

Captain L

Smash Champion
vs Asa :olimar: R1 R2 $$$

I feel like I'm trying to play this matchup completely wrong. Watching my videos again it's pretty obvious that olimar outcamps pikachu, but I still refused to approach for whatever reason. If anybody wants to critique either of these that would be awesome. The first one is on FD, the second is on Frigate, either one works since I think I had the same problems in both of them. Doing both would probably be redundant, but if you have the time I have no complaints.

3 minutes in to round two notice 4 purples and 2 yellows .__.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I haven't watched the vids yet (love that you put them in the right format tho), but @outcamping Olimar: it's not gonna happen, but you can keep from getting completely ***** by pikmin as you wait for an approach opportunity by using a lot of nair to intercept them -- and tjolting when you get a chance. Accept that by using this strategy, nair is gonna be stale as ****.

Oh, and avoid purples at all costs.

Frigate was a bad CP. He gets more yellows there iirc, not sure about purples.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Sorry for being a little late people. But now, I have something to do this morning...before work :awesome:
Prime, you missed my MM in the update.
And the MM from before but that one's no big deal.
;;

Snake 2: You leave yourself open a lot. Don't just randomly throw out attacks hoping for them to hit, do less laggy ones and think before you do it. "Will this attack be worth it, or can I be punished by it?" And, snake is one of those opponents where it will be a tough match if you can't get the CG, so really work on it. After getting dthrown, don't always go the same way, it's easy to read. And always watch out for the explosives. Excellent bringing it back two times. But you just have to watch out using the QAC.

Snake 3: WOW that guy was good at reading you for a second early in the match...;;
BEAUTIFUL stage spike. ^^
During this match, I could just feel what you were thinking. You've gotta stay calm. You did amazing the first half, but I think you got a little anxious and you made a bunch of mistakes like the first half.

Snake 4: Don't EVER do the same getup vs. snake's down throw, he will read it perfectly almost every time. If I didn't mention to work on QA before, remember to do it. REALLY work on it.
But the first stock you took off him was pretty good.
Vs snake, I always try to be ready to be under him with a thunder. I saw a good number of opportunities where you could have rushed under him and hit him to kill really early. And since snake's stocks last forever, that's an important thing to get if you can.

Vs Olimar: Ugh...olimar. After MLG Dallas, I re-vamped the way I'll play the MU, but it's all in theory right now, so I won't say anything about it. Not until it's tested, anyways...
I do know that you should get white pikmin off you at all costs, even if it means using nair and wearing it down a bit. If he doesn't have a lot of pikmin (especially if none of them are yellow) then chase him down and get him off stage, he can't camp with no ammo and his recovery is severely crippled. Don't stand too close to the edge when he is on it, you will just get u-aired and that really hurts.

Well, all in all, you just need experience. Lots and lots of fests for you in the future, and you will do fine.

vs Asa :olimar: R1 R2 $$$

I feel like I'm trying to play this matchup completely wrong. Watching my videos again it's pretty obvious that olimar outcamps pikachu, but I still refused to approach for whatever reason. If anybody wants to critique either of these that would be awesome. The first one is on FD, the second is on Frigate, either one works since I think I had the same problems in both of them. Doing both would probably be redundant, but if you have the time I have no complaints.

3 minutes in to round two notice 4 purples and 2 yellows .__.
O captain my captain.
...sorry.

Vs. Asa :olimar: R1: So far, I noticed you used a dair really close to the ground a couple times. I personally know that that isn't a good thing to use(currently fighting the habit, see my recent MM as compared to an older video) and you can be punished really hard for it. Be careful with the dair. Man I hate olimar. ;;

Vs. Asa :olimar: R2: Yay, you pulled a leaf and CPed an olimar there. Right side gimps=2gud
Again, watch out for your own dair, and trying to force an upsmash. It can get you punished too, really badly. And it's one of those moves that say "HEY! I'm coming next because I'm a really obvious move!" Just using it over and over leaves you really open.
Man...you almost had that match about 5 times. I saw you start to get anxious at the end, but you kept your cool really well.

Really entertaining games.

People, give me more stuff to critique. Quote an old post or something if I missed it back there.

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
Got matches with Japanese. Enjoy!

Otori [MK]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EecyzJk6dGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDAfJ8B24N0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwmzntzx8nw

Kuromu [Ness]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ8YUHzfeM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EH_mKiMj-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPJfxnxVM8

Suzu [Pikachu]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgQ_4WuUICs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3-x_vSkG2c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=220ZiKXX5pE

I was having trouble with mks here in Japan, but I've figured them out now, so no worries. The Otori matches are when I faced my first JP mk, so I thought, well, any mk is like the next, sadly I was wrong that day.
o.o;

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Hi people !

I post a pretty old video here.

I was just gettin' back to the Brawl business so be easy with me ! lol

It was offline friendly match ~

Actually I don't ask U to help me for that matchup... 'cause I began MK to manage that matchup as well as I can !

That's just 4 show, since Leaf wanna work xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkFKfz376qI

Cya

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Lol ! x3

Im glad U liked it Roller.

I'll probably post another video soon, about a "glitch" you should know, but that I didn't see often...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
*Is interested as well*

BTW, good **** against Leon. You have a very solid Pikachu, one of the better ones.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
@ K Prime : Idk if the term of "glitch" was appropriate, but that thing looks like a AFA cancel on some edge.
It allows Pika to get on the stage veeeery quickly, faster than the trick with the QA.
But the images speak louder than words, U'll see !

@ ESAM : Ty too ! <3

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Yes that's it.

But my quccess rate is really low for the moment (~17%), so I don't wanna tell U bull**** and wanna keep training until I got this. ^^

I didn't practice it very often (lack of time and don't always mind xD), but all I can tell U now it's it works on : FD, BF, SV, Pictochat... and maybe others I forget.

Be patient plz <3

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I do that sometimes. Experimented with it, it's crazy fun. May mess with it tonight actually. Something with that f-air...

When I accidentally do it in matches I get that "What?" from everyone around me. I just smile and go on with it. But I don't know wtf I'm doing.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Yes, on YI, Frigate and the part of Halberd which don't move...

I'll tell U more soon people.

I just gotta find some time, and wait my recording stuff arrive...

PZ

Smash Lord
Yes, on YI, Frigate and the part of Halberd which don't move...

I'll tell U more soon people.

I just gotta find some time, and wait my recording stuff arrive...
Make sure you have a tutorial. I do it alot too but some characters I dont want to but my top 3 fav characters I do want too.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
And make sure we keep it secret from all the other character boards so we can be *******s like them. Right, roller?

Apple's new iMad, in stores soon.

Top Bottom