• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Offline Friendlies

Luckay4Lyphe (Pikachu) vs No-Idea (Zelda/Sheik) 1/4

Luckay4Lyphe (Pikachu) vs No-Idea (Zelda/Sheik) 2/4

Luckay4Lyphe (Pikachu) vs No-Idea (Zelda/Sheik) 3/4

Luckay4Lyphe (Pikachu) vs No-Idea (Zelda/Sheik) 4/4

I guess Zelda isn't much of a problem. I really only have to be careful above her or she usmashes and learn to SDI her fsmash, but Sheik is tough for me. I need help on what to do once she is out of chaingrab or qac lock range because as you can see, she nearly made a comeback game 1.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Bad Zelda, doesn't really play Zelda, or doesn't know the MU.

Didn't watch far enough to see Sheik. =X

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I don't have any Ike experience, really because I wouldn't play anyone light against him. Still, I'd say DI away from his jabs because one with good jab cancels can rack some significant damage. Also, punish his really laggy moves like fair and don't always risk trying to punish when he charges smashes because that could be a stock off for pikachu.

I think you play the Diddy matchup pretty well. Good z-grabs and spam pressure. I would try to limit him to one banana because two is just stupid so keep up the spam until one disappears or try to throw one off. If you get rid of both then he'll spawn more as soon as he can.

I saw that you techrolled on the smashville platform and grabbed a banana on the platform at the same time which I didn't know you could do so that was cool. Also, that edgehog > jab thing game 3 was cute.

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
Got Friendlies with Yonesuke. I'm glad he's still around. Tried inviting him to the Pika Xat, he had no clue what it was. X.

but here we are, matches against the Pika that inspired me to play the way I am now.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqaivsQU4j4
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9W5nocxWY8
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXeoADIyfTw
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLGH0ORtoZ4
5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn8N9VuHa4A
6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpLZLFKxPtw
7) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GndGQKJ3dM
8) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEOrdW2eJgA
9) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi6Rzvbips4

As you watch, notice the styles between Yonesuke and I.
Enjoy!

^。^

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Sorry about being behind, irl tends to intervene a lot recently.

vs Bundtcake :rob: M3 M4 $$$
vs Bundtcake :rob:
M3
You did a really good job of coming back from that wall lock, really nice.
I noticed that you committed to doing one thing though a lot. At one point, you were constantly running up and nair, then you were just hitting with u-air. Not that it wasn't really getting the job done, but just be careful about being obvious with it. You also kinda did some of your jolts where he could have gotten under you and upsmashed. Be careful about that, if I didn't say so before.
And really, good job getting back from that wall lock.

M4
Ohh, stage spike. Be especially wary about using skull bash, especially if rob has his back to you. Bair is a pain, and most robs will hit you out of it almost every time. And again on jolts too close to him and how they can be punished.
You really commit to u-air a lot. Some of those can be led into nair instead, it will deal more damage, send them farther, and is generall more useful since you don't have a good chance of being able to do anything after your second u-air, and less of a chance of being hit back

Overall, good job vs. him. ROB is just weird...

vs Nyke :ike: WB M1 M2
vs White :dedede: M2 (only one recorded)
vs BillyBeeGood :metaknight: Match1 / :popo: Match2 / :metaknight: Match3
vs Nyke :ike: LB Match1 Match2 Match3
vs Croi :wario: Match1 Match2 Match3
vs Nyke :ike: WB
M1
Controller test at start of match? lol
So, first stock was took early. That was really good. But on the off chance that that didn't work, I think you could have down threw him a couple times then ended with a nair. But your way is good too.
****ing backthrow->dash attack lol.
Just a wow ending. I love getting thunder kills like that. And you getting though that jab was impressive.
Watching so far, though, I don't think this Ike knows the pika mu much. And spams a little too many smashes to try and read you landing and getting back.

M2

I noticed right off that you are spotdodging and rolling a little much around him. One good read could be a world of hurt.
You kinda let him start reading you, and he just swatted you back offstage every time. Just don't try the same recovery method too many times, Ike is good at punishing hard.
I'm glad you came back from it, it was good.

vs White :dedede:
May not want to thunder randomly when they are that close. That big hammer makes it easy to hit you out of it, and it's a bad idea in general.
Good placement on the thunder from when he was in the air, DDD too fat.
And I cannot stress enough, get out of the habit of skull bashing to the stage.
Was that ending accidental? Or did he just give up?

vs BillyBeeGood :metaknight: / :popo:
Match 1
He started with tornado, then went to dair. A true metaknight.
I don't think you really had the opportunity, so I can't tell if you knew or not, but just don't forget the CG we have on MK. If your opponent doesn't know/isn't good enough to footstool out of the grab from 0%, then it's a free 6/7 throws (iirc) which really helps out.
Don't fall with plans to attack MK as you land, he's just too safe. Play defensive and get away. Also, don't really go to punish tornado unless it's horribly spaced with the ground, most of the time MK can react out of it fast enough and hit you first.
DEFINITELY do not use skull bash anywhere except a desperate, necessary momentum cancel, ESPECIALLY against Meta.
1:12 is a good reason of why this is my most annoyed matchup.
Don't go to challenge glide from the front, and if you are going to chance with it, shield first. The attack is just really fast and has good reach.

Match 2

This guy changed characters after you picked stages, huh? His character combination and the way he pulled them out like I think he did makes me not like this person.
Way too much close-range thunder and f-smash to be fighting an IC on Final.
Really, all I noticed here was way too much thunder. And a suicide. :)

Match 3

THIS GUY IS A *** AND I KINDA WANT YOU TO PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE FOR ME, THANKS.
Also, a little too much downsmash throughout this set.

vs Nyke :ike: LB
Match 1
I can't notice much more here, other than the occasional dangerous skull bash. Either you were good at evading, or he didn't do good at spacing, either way, good job.

Match 2
Something I'm noticing in both sets against Nyke, is that you should learn to sdi ike's jab really good so you don't end up taking all of the hits from it. That can save you a good amount of damage and give you time to counter if he goes for the third jab.
I'm kinda disappointed in the way this match ended. You had it. :ohwell:

Match 3
You should work on your reaction time, so that you can tell whether or not you actually footstool after your u-air, so you don't just QA to the ground. That way, you won't accidentally get hit by them as you end the QA. But overall, this match, those were just 3 really nice thunder kills. I think I've pointed out everything else you can get from this guy.

vs Croi :wario:
Match 1
Really good match, you had him scared the whole time it looked like.
You are so good at setting up the lock, have you not worked on finishing it? lol
I really didn't notice anything this match. You were on fire!
...but I'm really glad that suicide didn't totally screw you over. I actually got nervous the last 10 seconds of the match.

Match 2
Don't forget about the small chaingrab I think we have on Wario. I read it in the grab thread, but I don't know if it's changed or not. They may have found a way out. The grab can also be extended on the carpets during the rising part.
Also, thunder doesn't really work when wario is in the air. His AD and aerial movement in general is just way too good for it. If you can get him while he is in hitstun or doing a momentum cancel, that's great, but if he is just going over you, it probably won't work.
If he messes up a bite and you are on the ground, you probably have the time to do an f-smash, or at least an upsmash to punish him.

Match 3
You failed a couple punishes early on here, just a mistake.
I think someone told me f-air is pretty safe against wario in the air, you may want to try that. I don't know if it's old information, but it may be something. And if he bikes at you on the ground, you can jump up and with a well-timed nair, hit him off of it.
And like I said before, Wario is just too good against thunder. Remember not to spam it if he's near.
Your DI on this stage was so pro.
I just wanna say, though, that was a good run, but a horrible way to end the day. Especially since I saw about 3 opportunities before where you could have had a guaranteed kill. :(

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot, that was pretty helpful.

"THIS GUY IS A *** AND I KINDA WANT YOU TO PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE FOR ME, THANKS."
He's my normal teamate, haha. ...so, will do.

"Also, a little too much downsmash throughout this set."
Dsmash is like my panic button for every character I use.

"vs White :dedede:
Was that ending accidental? Or did he just give up?"
Was accidental.

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
Alright, i'm back with more vids. I also looked around for more pikas in japan and found more.

Volt_Storm_7 vs. G
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beD98l5WomA
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNwZcjOdqDU
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UL_WjNiJ-I

Chige (Pika) vs Yukke
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4NqiGagE1s
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOuOEgfWl-Q

Yomogi
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKX2-WbigFs

Yonesuke
1) http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9718556
2) http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9709937

None of the other JP pikas have videos of them up. Tried, but I will try to ask them if they would liek to have their vids uploaded.

Firzy

Smash Rookie
Hi everybody ! First i want to say that my English suxx 'caus i'm french and i'm only 15 years old,so my english is the one i learned at school :p
Guess I'll start back up on this. But I get 3 stocked by falcos, so don't take me seriously. I'm gonna stop using that excuse and get off my *** to do something. :awesome:

Video 1: I notice you use QA a lot. You should watch that vs toon link, you will just run into projectiles that way. I also try to stay grounded if they are attacking from the air. Excellent thunder off the first stock. If an opponent isn't knocked very high in the air, don't follow them with thunder. They can get down and punish.

Video 2: Watch out getting combo'd early in a stock, be ready to DI away really fast if you need to. TL does better early in the stock, but you do better later.
omg :34 you got a footstool so close to the ground, I would have laughed if you locked him.
Watch your Dsmash and Dair, IMO there were better options in some of the situations. And you gotta watch his Usmash, be ready at the most obvious times for it.

Video 3: Don't roll backwards vs. bananas. Don't roll at all really. Hold your ground and learn to Psheild if you don't already know. 2:15 haha dsmash killed. You wanna be careful randomly dashing at diddy kong if he has a banana in his hand. Maybe just walk, so you can shield faster. I feel like you could have lasted longer on both the first and second stocks if you had momentum canceled properly, but everyone makes mistakes.

Video 4: Excellent taking his first stock. Nice second stock too. I'm not seeing much more here than what I haven't covered already. AND the third. You punished really well that match. Just remember to be careful when he has bananas.
Can I get a list of what was legal for stages and how counterpicking works? Diddy generally excels on long stages.

Video 5: I've noticed throughout these videos that you constantly go for your first option. If you are going for a FF fair, and they are shielding, stop yourself and let yourself land and just grab them. (I have the same habit, I know it's not easy to break that one.)

You might want to incorporate your down throw a little more. There are a TON of threads around here (see the directory) to explain a lot of things that can be done with it. Sometimes, d-throw->nair might be a better option than F-throw->U-smash.
Your punishing ability is downright amazing, it's very obvious that you main Ike.
Yeah this is me,this help me a lot,thanks to you i'll do better than 7th at the next tournament X)

I was wondering if you guys can critique those videos :

Fire vs Dueler X

http://www.youtube.com/user/ONIMARTH#p/u/11/LXUQoPqqEsE

http://www.youtube.com/user/ONIMARTH#p/u/10/4jGrZO3jmrg

http://www.youtube.com/user/ONIMARTH#p/u/9/JX8eqi_8Cag

This is my first offline experience,with one of my friends i meet on an internet forum X)
Critinquing this will help me a lot,i also hate G&W and i really feel that this MU is bad for Pika. (i got eliminated by a G&W at last tournament)
Do you think that i need to play a second character like Snake or that i can keep Pikachu against G&W mainers?
I'm patient,so you can answer when you want :p
Thanks ^^' (and sorry for poor English :p )

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Your English is amazing compared to the 5 years of Spanish I took in school and having like no knowledge of the language.

First off I wanna say that the announcer for the start of the game sounds awesome in French.

match 1

1:00 Great pivot grab prediction. I might just do this against my friend's GaW.

1:22 It's best no to be too close to GaW when you're around 80 to 100% because his smashes are incredibly strong so jumping within his range is a no no. DI to the sides when you get hit by dsmash or usmash.

1:48 When you get knocked on the ground like that you have to stay calm. Never roll back towards him or you'll get punished like that. Roll away or stay on the ground a few seconds to see what he'll do first.

Nice chase at the end.

Match 2

0:53 Don't quick attack around so much as most of GaW's moves have lasting hitboxes and you'll get hit by some random crap and get killed.

1:28 I don't see why you did that, must have been mistake. If you're going to thunder edgeguard, make sure you can get back to the stage without needing the ledge or you'll get edgehogged.

I would be pissed at that ending, I hate when GaW spams smashes and gets kills.

Not much more to say about the 3rd match. You played this guy pretty solid. GaW is pikachu's hardest matchup in my opinion. His moves have more priority so don't try to challenge them with your own. They do have bad ending lag like when he falls with fair or dair. Play him enough and you'll get the timing. I see you were pretty good at tech rolling his dthrow, good job. Remember not to quick attack towards him. Also, use more tjolts until he learns to bucket. You get 2 chances before his bucket is full so use them wisely. Also train him to use bucket when he's in the air and once he does just hop up and get a quick nair.

Firzy

Smash Rookie
Thanks you Luckay4Lyphe,this will help me a lot.My friend has a really strenge G&W,it's very hard to predict what is he going to do,he has a very agressive G&W ^^'
When i got eliminated by a G&W at last tournament,this G&W was a classic one,he just space with Bair a lot,and i got... how can i say... "destructed" .
If i was able to speak English really good i'd try to critique your vid Volt Storm,but that's really difficult for me to write in English ,sorry ^^' i can only say that you've got a really good Pika (and i love the texture ;) )
Oh,and thanks for your comments when you say that my English is good ^^

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Volt storm that texture looks like it has an unusually large tail to me for some reason.

I really have no ROB or Lucario experience unfortunately so you probably know more about what to do then me. I've only played them on wifi and both are super gay on wifi. I should've played Junebug, but he didn't go to the last md/va event. Maybe I'll see him at pound.

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
Thanks you Luckay4Lyphe,this will help me a lot.My friend has a really strenge G&W,it's very hard to predict what is he going to do,he has a very agressive G&W ^^'
When i got eliminated by a G&W at last tournament,this G&W was a classic one,he just space with Bair a lot,and i got... how can i say... "destructed" .
If i was able to speak English really good i'd try to critique your vid Volt Storm,but that's really difficult for me to write in English ,sorry ^^' i can only say that you've got a really good Pika (and i love the texture ;) )
Oh,and thanks for your comments when you say that my English is good ^^
Yuo can talk to me in french, if you want. I don't know much french though.
and the word "Destructed", you could use "Destoryed", that makes it sound better.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
it does have a bigger tail, dosent affect the hitbox its just bigger. i know cuz i worked on textures with volt lol

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
I tried one of these textures at big tail -> I just can't play with this.

Roller

Smash Legend
Alright mew. First thing I noticed, you keep just dairing into the ground.

...stop. lol

Check out the pikachu guide and learn how to autocancel the dair so that you land the short hop dair without a billion frames of lag. (which even this awful diddy player was able to punish) You should also not bair onto the stage as much, it is ~as risky.

Next thing, don't just sit on a platform and jolt onto that same platform. It is really bad. Anybody can just jump up and down air you or uair/usmash you from below the platform (obviously that second option would be harder on japes. But landing an attack on you from above would still be mad easy.)

If you want to jolt from a platform, jump so that the jolt travels down to the stage below. And don't use it when the other guy is right near you. It is laggy and you can easily get punished.

You have tilts. Use them. Any half-decent player will SDI your downsmash and wont go anywhere. Dsmash is still fine to use, but use utilt in that situation more. It has less lag and can lead to sexy foollow ups. Dtilt you can use for spacing, and ftilt is great if they are right in front of you and you don't want to commit to a risky dsmash.

I also personally use a number of qac shenanigans, most of which aren't "needed," but they catch a lot of people off guard and can get you some nice uair->uair/nair combos.

Another thing is use uair to cancel your momentum when getting hit hard and will probably hit the side/top blast zone (along with proper DI) it will help you to live much longer.
That's all for now.

Oh, and tell your friend diddy can use bananas.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Either do I :D

Here have I another match against a good DDD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EjeFiUexl4

Enjoy :)
Your Pika pretty good! It was definitely fun to watch.

A couple things:
- Be careful about fairing against the front of people's shields, although it seems to poke at DDD pretty well.
- Predictable rising nairs can be easily utilted by DDD. :urg: Keep an eye open for that, especially when you're at high percentages.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Fire tu m'avais pas dit que tu débutais à Brawl ? o.o

Je savais pas que t'avais un bon Pika, petit cachotier ! xD

Tu m'as bluffé. ^^

Tu fais encore qq erreurs mais franchement pr un débutant tu gères lol.

mercy

Smash Apprentice

Tu m'as bluffé. ^^

High school French finally came through!

On topic:

Firzy predictable qacs gets you killed. Also don't just approach with the intention of attacking, utilize more feints.

Firzy

Smash Rookie

Tu m'as bluffé. ^^

C'est pas que je suis un débutant,mais que j'ai commencé tard (Avril 2010).Merci sinon ^^

Thank you all :D

mew1000

Smash Journeyman
Alright mew. First thing I noticed, you keep just dairing into the ground.

...stop. lol

Check out the pikachu guide and learn how to autocancel the dair so that you land the short hop dair without a billion frames of lag. (which even this awful diddy player was able to punish) You should also not bair onto the stage as much, it is ~as risky.

Next thing, don't just sit on a platform and jolt onto that same platform. It is really bad. Anybody can just jump up and down air you or uair/usmash you from below the platform (obviously that second option would be harder on japes. But landing an attack on you from above would still be mad easy.)

If you want to jolt from a platform, jump so that the jolt travels down to the stage below. And don't use it when the other guy is right near you. It is laggy and you can easily get punished.

You have tilts. Use them. Any half-decent player will SDI your downsmash and wont go anywhere. Dsmash is still fine to use, but use utilt in that situation more. It has less lag and can lead to sexy foollow ups. Dtilt you can use for spacing, and ftilt is great if they are right in front of you and you don't want to commit to a risky dsmash.

I also personally use a number of qac shenanigans, most of which aren't "needed," but they catch a lot of people off guard and can get you some nice uair->uair/nair combos.

Another thing is use uair to cancel your momentum when getting hit hard and will probably hit the side/top blast zone (along with proper DI) it will help you to live much longer.
That's all for now.

Oh, and tell your friend diddy can use bananas.
Ill do that :) TY roller

Top Bottom