• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
im sorry but that was a really bad snake, bwett. however, i loved your yoshi, gave me some pointers on my own ive been working on. honestly though i dont know what that snake was thinking with no grenades or anything. his jab cancelling wasnt that great either. quick question; what the best way to use dair? also does anyone have a video of a yoshi proficient in DRing?

Bwett

Smash Ace
im sorry but that was a really bad snake, bwett. however, i loved your yoshi, gave me some pointers on my own ive been working on. honestly though i dont know what that snake was thinking with no grenades or anything. his jab cancelling wasnt that great either. quick question; what the best way to use dair? also does anyone have a video of a yoshi proficient in DRing?
The reason he doesn't use grenades is because my eggs make them blow up in his hands. It is an extremely bad situation for Snake.

For dair, depending on the characters ability to punish while you are on the edge, you can use drop from ledge -> DJ dair - > nair. It's rather powerful and can break shield if you do it properly.

Thanks for the compliments, dude :)

bigman40

Smash Master
If you're trying to look at some strats that'll beat a Yoshi that can DR, then you probably won't get much luck seeing as very few people use DR. I happen to be one that does DR.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4b4roRRsM (match 1) - played Yoshi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs_31qr6Sk8 (match 2) - played Yoshi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQbO7pJFOG8 (match 3) - played Yoshi

These vids are short of old though, cause both my friend and I got better than what you see now.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Um, this may seem like a burden to some people, but can can I add someone to send them videos over Wi-Fi? ^_^;

I really do have some good ones...

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Great vids as per usual, Bwett.

Going to England for a couple of weeks tonight! Will be able to update from there, but it probably won't be instant.

P.S. YOSHI HAS ACHIEVED 200 VIDEOS, WHICH IS OFFICIALLY A MEGA RAD NUMBER. CONGRATS ON LUCKY #200, BWETT.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Fine... I'll just have to learn how to use a recording device.

Now, the red circle button means "Record," right? =P

D

Deleted member

Ok good stuff lilb +yoster. A few things:
Pivot grab egg roll
Id experiment with some full hop bair to bair or bair to nair and stuff like that, helped me alot, not sure bout you.

Good job tho=D

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Thx socks

but....

its hard to try to experiment in a tournament match and yoshi dittos are a totally different way to play

but I will try to add in some more full hop B airs when needed.

D

Deleted member

Of course, i was just sayin, maybe expiriment in friendlies a lil bit. Indeed, dittos are wierd, i hate um.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Well, I've got a couple more Yoshi videos. Nothing mind-blowing, but I thought they turned out pretty well (plus, they were actually screen-capped for a change). As might be expected I had a couple of pretty nice moments, and some really boneheaded deaths, here. I also couldn't pivot grab worth a crap on this set. :laugh:

Yoshi vs. Kirby
Yoshi vs. Pokemon Trainer

SOVAman

Smash Hero
@sir Orion

To be honest your yoshi needs a lot of work I watched the PT one
1st of all CG the **** out of squirtle then fair spike
2nd where are your SH bairs?
3rd throw a lot lot MOAR eggs seriously it will rack up a ton of damage
4th that PT sucks balls hard
5th less dairs on the stage too much end lag its a surprise move and a spike and nothing more.
6th its okay to spam Bair
7th good piviot grabs but try to do something out of the release instead of letting ur opponent keep on you
8th good **** hope that helped :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Yes to everything lil b said, and kirby was kinda bad too. Tell him to lrn2airdodge. Also, i would never ever suggest running from the middle of the stage and dash attacking, it shouldnt ever work, they can just shield and SH bair out of shield, same with running grabs. More bairs definately, try to be a little more unpredictable(easier said than done i know).

What do you mean you couldnt pivot grab???

SOVAman

Smash Hero
@sir Orion

To be honest your yoshi needs a lot of work I watched the PT one
5th less dairs on the stage too much end lag its a surprise move and a spike and nothing more.
7th good piviot grabs but try to do something out of the release instead of letting ur opponent keep on you
8th good **** hope that helped :yoshi:
Yes to everything lil b said, and kirby was kinda bad too. Tell him to lrn2airdodge. Also, i would never ever suggest running from the middle of the stage and dash attacking, it shouldnt ever work, they can just shield and SH bair out of shield, same with running grabs. More bairs definately, try to be a little more unpredictable(easier said than done i know).

What do you mean you couldnt pivot grab???
Combine these two beautiful post and you will get some d*mn good advice

Also look at mys and yosters most recent dittos and u will discover unpredictable mind games watch all of them in awe

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I was online. It's hard to time it right, especially since you'll notice that he wasn't mashing out of the grabs, making the timing MUCH more difficult to pinpoint.

They were there, just not prevalent. I think it's an overrated and overused move, personally. (BLASPHEMY!)

I throw eggs to force an approach (or allow for my own). Once I get the approach I either deal with it or back off and repeat.

No argument here. Other than some cool aerial pokes with Squirtle, he didn't do anything impressive. He hydroplaned up smashed so often that I got hit by four of them without dying. It probably would have been a 3-stock if I hadn't made some rather obvious mistakes toward the end.

I disagree. It was clear he was overusing the shield and I was doing it to wear the shield down. If I thought I would have gotten thrown out of it, I wouldn't have used it. But it was clear that he had no intention of countering it.

See earlier comment.

What match were you watching? I couldn't pivot grab worth crap in those matches.

My Yoshi has a totally different pacing and style than other Yoshi players'. One that has gotten me some reasonable competitive success. While I appreciate the advice, I don't particularly need it or want it. I know what Yoshi is and isn't capable of, and I know what will and won't get me punished.

More importantly, you seem to be forgetting the key rule: to play your OPPONENT'S character more than your own. I wouldn't have done half the stuff I did if I thought that the person I was playing was the type of person that would have had an answer for it.

Smash Bros. Brawl (especially online) is a game of rock, paper, scissors. If I know that my opponent is going to play rock every single time, of course I'm going to keep playing paper. I like having my opponents fall for stupid stuff. It makes them more flustered and gets them to make even more mistakes.

Since I use a different kind of Yoshi than other people, I can't copy other people's style. I have to play my own style. It's a style I'm confident in because it has served me well.

Of course, no one here has actually answered any of my match challenges (Mmac, looking at you), so I can't really prove that. I don't have my own screen capturing device, so I'm pretty much stuck with whatever matches I'm able to record.

Also look at mys and yosters most recent dittos and u will discover unpredictable mind games watch all of them in awe
I wasn't exactly awe-struck with the suicide that happened in the first 10 seconds. Your mind games weren't all that impressive, either. WAY too much reliance on down B canceling and off-stage Egg Tosses.

D

Deleted member

O lilb, dont down b so much lol. I do agree you did some nice **** outta a down b slide, but dont use it tooo much.

Also, orion, you dont have to take our advice. But reallly, you should learn to cg, squirtle is the easiest to Cg, you shouldnt be relying on them to mash buttons.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
You don't understand what I'm saying. Because of the online latency, I had to start pressing forward to run a split second BEFORE the release happened. Because he didn't mash out of it, I ended up hitting forward too soon, and threw him as a result. It's a very common problem with online CGs, even easy ones. Even Mmac has complained about this problem, and he's one of the more competent chain grabbers out there.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I was online. It's hard to time it right, especially since you'll notice that he wasn't mashing out of the grabs, making the timing MUCH more difficult to pinpoint.

They were there, just not prevalent. I think it's an overrated and overused move, personally. (BLASPHEMY!)

I throw eggs to force an approach (or allow for my own). Once I get the approach I either deal with it or back off and repeat.

No argument here. Other than some cool aerial pokes with Squirtle, he didn't do anything impressive. He hydroplaned up smashed so often that I got hit by four of them without dying. It probably would have been a 3-stock if I hadn't made some rather obvious mistakes toward the end.

I disagree. It was clear he was overusing the shield and I was doing it to wear the shield down. If I thought I would have gotten thrown out of it, I wouldn't have used it. But it was clear that he had no intention of countering it.

See earlier comment.

What match were you watching? I couldn't pivot grab worth crap in those matches.

My Yoshi has a totally different pacing and style than other Yoshi players'. One that has gotten me some reasonable competitive success. While I appreciate the advice, I don't particularly need it or want it. I know what Yoshi is and isn't capable of, and I know what will and won't get me punished.

More importantly, you seem to be forgetting the key rule: to play your OPPONENT'S character more than your own. I wouldn't have done half the stuff I did if I thought that the person I was playing was the type of person that would have had an answer for it.

Smash Bros. Brawl (especially online) is a game of rock, paper, scissors. If I know that my opponent is going to play rock every single time, of course I'm going to keep playing paper. I like having my opponents fall for stupid stuff. It makes them more flustered and gets them to make even more mistakes.

Since I use a different kind of Yoshi than other people, I can't copy other people's style. I have to play my own style. It's a style I'm confident in because it has served me well.

Of course, no one here has actually answered any of my match challenges (Mmac, looking at you), so I can't really prove that. I don't have my own screen capturing device, so I'm pretty much stuck with whatever matches I'm able to record.

I wasn't exactly awe-struck with the suicide that happened in the first 10 seconds. Your mind games weren't all that impressive, either. WAY too much reliance on down B canceling and off-stage Egg Tosses.
No johns dude

and who cares if I lose first match that was a mind game I won the set lol

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I saw it back on AiB. One word: AWESOME! =D

I hope more people see it and see that Yoshi CAN contend with Meta Knight (yes, there are STILL people saying that Yoshi is disadvantaged...).

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Bwett is by far, the best yoshi in the US. Nuff said
in the south honestly he just has a different style then EC yoshi so i would not say hes the best srry bwett

I saw it back on AiB. One word: AWESOME! =D

I hope more people see it and see that Yoshi CAN contend with Meta Knight (yes, there are STILL people saying that Yoshi is disadvantaged...).
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong 100% disadvantage if you can't see that your a scrub

bwett beat him probably cuz he knows the match up

now for tips
1. stop retreating hold your ground, try to force an approach and when he approach just try to stay with him or force another approach. Retreating can put you in a bad position

2. do not down b when getting attacked it will push you to one side and may cause a death (as you know) use down b to poke shields and KO and sometimes grab the edge but it is not a combo breaker

3. when you get him in the CG make sure you CG him to the edge and maybe go for fair spike if you want to pressure him more. It puts your opponent in a horrible position which can lead to a lot like gimps, Fsmashs and Uairs.

4. don't stale out your upsmash and if you do, use the Uair out of the grab release

5. watch you pivot grabs if you do them to much they become predictable and punishable

6. Don't stay on the edge too much Yoshi is better chasing and on the stage

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Actually, I sometimes INTENTIONALLY diminish my up smash if I know I'm not going to kill with it, because the lower knockback sometimes allows for some great low percentage set-ups.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
lilb, do I sense a hint of jealousy? =P

In any case, I'm sure that the match-up is indeed neutral. It sucked that bwett suicided twice, though. He could have actually two-stocked him in both matches. XD

D

Deleted member

lilb, do I sense a hint of jealousy? =P

In any case, I'm sure that the match-up is indeed neutral. It sucked that bwett suicided twice, though. He could have actually two-stocked him in both matches. XD
Cool, im sure that its not. Who is right???

I think I'm right(lol), and experience against very good Mks in tournament tells me I am right, and other good yoshis tell me Im right. Bwett obviously knew the matchup much better than dojo.

To comment on lilb's comments:

Opinions are opinions, hes the best yoshi ive seen. I dont like to classify stuff by region, just cuz EC has a few more top players doesnt mean that an EC yoshi is better than a WC yoshi.

Bwetts style involves the retreating, and obviously its working, considering he just beat prolly the best player in texa.

3 and 4 are fine, i agree to use uair out of the release

Your last comment is arguable, you cant really chase Mk very well.

I gotta fast fall my bairs like that, good stuff.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
This thread is going to single-handedly rip the Yoshi boards asunder... :(

Can we stop calling each other out and talking about who is better than who?

Top Bottom