• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
IceK uses (is cheap with) about 5 characters though :dizzy:

Atticus <3 for keeping melee alive :)

Jei what's an STD?

Also Cao if that is a tier list what is Luigi doing below Link?

Mystify

Smash Rookie
aww, another meatknight player? would be nice to see some other underused characters being used but i suppose it can't be helped. hope to play against you at the next meet

is there a list anywhere of the number of people using certain characters for melbourne?
I am assuming you were referring to me in that post -

I do agree with you, Meta Knight is overused. And I have tried to use other characters, but when I'm playing with anyone other than the spherical blue caped knight of doom, I'm not enjoying myself. I'm even better with other characters, everyone I've played against tells me that my R.O.B and Ice Climbers are better than my MK, but it makes no difference, to me, MK = Fun.

Besides, I chose Meta Knight before I knew how good he was - but I'm sure everyone uses that excuse. xD

I have to admit though, I do have fun using Bowser. Possible secondary? iono.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
cao, the guy who used to run the tournaments, thinks he has some sort of bowser, but it's just scrub

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
you know, the cute squishy turtle thing with ice cream cones on his back that likes hugging things <3

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Behold: The Abbotsford Convent

Formerly a precinct for religious sanctuary, it has been saved from condo development and is now Melbourne's next up-and-coming arts and cultural incubator. The precinct is really close to the city, is about 6 acres, and smacks of character.

Pros:
Location - A 10 minute walk to the Yarra Bend, from Collingwood or Victoria Park stations, just off Hoddle Street and Studley Park Roads. It's rural setting is highly deceptive given it's urban location.
Food and Drink - 3 restaurants inside the precinct, one is a quirky cafe serving the regular stuff+alcohol, one is a bakery/stokehouse, and the other is a resturant that lets you pay whatever you want. It challenges the concept of retail by allowing customers to pay a suggested donation for the love of the food - I can see gamers exploting this.
Dodgeball - 6 acres speaks for itself, alot of concrete coverage too.
Venue hire - I suppose artistic spaces are affordable:
Refectory, Convent (Capacity 180) = $275 full day
The Salon, Convent (Capacity 150) = $330 full day
Community Room, Convent (Capacity 300) = $660 full day
Full day is from 9 to 5, but you can extend until 12am by paying more
It's next to a petting farm, so you can pet fluffy things

Cons:
Nothing really

CW should look into this with me :)

I'm looking into hiring the Refectory over 2 days, perhaps this can be merged with the idea of the big annual?

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Go Shaz and his really wtf tier list!

Snake
Metaknight
Pikachu
Pit
Diddy
Falco
Marth
IC
Mr G&W
Wolf
Robot
DK
Wario
King DDD
Kirby
Lucas
Fox
Link
Lucario
Zelda
Zamus
Sheik
Toon Link
Olimar
Peach
Ike
Luigi
Trainer
Mario
Samus
Ness
Bowser
Sonic
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Yoshi
Cptn. Falcon

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Dodgeball - 6 acres speaks for itself, alot of concrete coverage too.
Venue hire - I suppose artistic spaces are affordable:
Refectory, Convent (Capacity 180) = $275 full day
The Salon, Convent (Capacity 150) = $330 full day
Community Room, Convent (Capacity 300) = $660 full day
Full day is from 9 to 5, but you can extend until 12am by paying more
It's next to a petting farm, so you can pet fluffy things

Cons:
Nothing really

CW should look into this with me :)

I'm looking into hiring the Refectory over 2 days, perhaps this can be merged with the idea of the big annual?
Will do, it looks like a good find. I'm also investigating the old Vic trade hall which is virtually across the road from the Curtin at the moment.

Gonna have to check this one out. Obvious things that come to mind.
-Cost for after hours.
-Power... old building might have problems.
-Parking

Also hope those prices are weekend!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Zan, I know the answer to those questions. :)

Anyway, here's the real list:

Meta Knight
Snake
King Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.

High
Marth
Wario
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Diddy
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

Middle
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Shiek

Low
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
Captain Falcon

I want to do a Low Tier Tourney now!

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
I would love a low tier tourney...considering every single one of my characters except pit is in the low tier.
Oh except Fox who is in middle.
...Is that list real? I don't think Link should be that low o_o
hmm and I know Ness and Lucas have alot of weaknesses but ****.

Oh well I'm not one to debate a tier list

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Yeah, not for C.Falcon though.
It's his own fault for being so slow and weak compared to his Melee counterpart.
Too much gaming and eating, not enough exercise. He even has to wear a scarf now to hide his double chin (probably).
All that tone and muscle you see is actually just drawn onto his suit now. Falcon fails.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
FYI, low tier tournaments ban top and high tier only - so in this case everything including and below Toon Link would be allowed.

J! Get some monthlies happening at the Convent and we can do all sorts of win

Vermy

Smash Champion
My missus has been lording the fact that Metaknight and Game & Watch are in in top tier all day
-_-
I still kick her *** but its a shot to the ego. Poor little Kirby sitting at 14 and Peach at 24. Makes me sad =(

Curse you tier list version 1.0! *shakes fist*

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
I would do Monthlies but I need to see the venue for myself.
Although I'm already sure it's great.

The tier list is somewhat depressing in some ways but I'm very glad we have one now.
All of my characters are so low *cries*

Mystify

Smash Rookie
I would do Monthlies but I need to see the venue for myself.
Although I'm already sure it's great.

The tier list is somewhat depressing in some ways but I'm very glad we have one now.
All of my characters are so low *cries*

Who cares? It just means less people will use them, making you, and your character choices, more unique. xP

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Well, I wouldn't expect the Tier List to change peoples mains just because characters are too low and they want to use higher characters. That's gheyness. Ike forever.... until I can use Roy again.

*keeps track of texture hacks*

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
Melee thing is going to have to wait, I've been quite sick this week and even if I get better I'll need the time to catch up on uni work I've missed.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Johns, I see this as an escape path... *pet pet*

Anyhow, Ranbat discussion time! I checked a thread in the SBR and a TO in Washington is going to test a slightly modified ruleset in their next set of tournaments, with a few more following suit just out of curiosity. The change proposed is a switch from 3 stock to 2, with sets played in a best of 5. The benefits are thought to be something along these following lines:
- Greater counterpicking and stage-selection emphasis
- Changes the dynamics of certain characters (i.e. Pokemon Trainer is more competitive with 2 stock than 3 with only 1 switchout necessary, Zero Suit Samus’ broken armour becomes more important, significant implications for suicide-kill characters such as Bowser and Dedede, Lucario would be advantaged taking the 1st stock, the reverse if he doesn’t).
- Makes games faster and theoretically more palatable to watch (not the set, if anything it will be roughly the same time)

The only real concern is the possibility of being punished heavily for making a mistake. However, these concerns are nullified by the best of 5 set, and the game’s inability to sustain a clutch style. In other words, if you lose a stock my mistake with 3 stocks, you were pretty much guaranteed to lose anyway.

Thoughts welcomed.

Everence

Smash Apprentice
From a lucario point of view, I'm against it, mainly because he gets a *bigger* boost if he's 2 stocks down (although that position is not necessarily wanted). i wouldn't mind trying it next ranbat but i'm leaning more towards the 3 stock 3 sets.

i'm still wondering why we have all maps (excluding banned maps) on random for the first set and why we have port aero dive town there (pretty much no warning the cars are coming unless i'm missing something)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
If Lucario (or just about any other character) is 2 stock down, they are going to lose anyway. Comebacks in Brawl don't come easy.

We have all stages on Random to increase everyone's experience on those stages. There's also little reason why they shouldn't be in random select. Aero Drive cars give no warning, but you should know they come at specific moments. This all comes back to stage experience.

Everence

Smash Apprentice
yes, whilst it is true that comebacks don't come easily, i think 2 stocks still punishes little mistakes quite alot (as you've already made a point on). it'll probably make players play a lot more cautiously. maybe.

i didn't think aero drive (dive?) was in the legal stages anyway. 'tis a nasty stage nonetheless

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I wouldn't play cautious if I knew I could win from 2 games down. Actually it'd inspire me to experiment a bit more. Another pro I just thought of:
- Winning the first match is less important in a best of 5 set. In a best of 3, winning the first match is critical to success.

I put in Aero Drive recently, just to be a pain in the butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom