• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
atticus melee monthlies!?!

lol i'm there honey <3 (70% chance I squash a ladybug and get banned from coming by my parents)

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Posted by Loki on the CW boards.

Hi guys,
This is a doco made by some RMIT students this year for a final year project.
Zan and I were both interviewed for it, and they came to one of our events to get material, so keep an ear out, you might recognise some voices.

http://www.pool.org.au/audio/muhdshamir/one_big_lan_party
As he said, you'll get to hear a few familiar voices in the background and some samples. :)

Loki used to do radio at Latrobe, and I'd come on everynow and then. Was good times. Makes me really wanna start doing a podcast.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
CW 2.7 confirmed for the 21st of September.

Also, heres the results of the TV discussion that was brought up at the meeting.

We held a recent meeting at the John Curtain (it was fun), and one of the big topics covered was the distribution of funds. I want to make it clear to everybody that we've spent well over half of what Couch Warriors has taken in entry fees, so we are very much putting the money to good use.

That said, a cause for concern that was raised is that individual communities, while showing healthy attendance, are not able to fulfill some basic needs at events, whether it be TVs, equipment or whatever.

At the same time we face the problem that we no longer have basic incentives for people that bring TVs. Giving people a can of soft drink in the old venue was a nod of respect to those who made the effort, but we were no longer able to do it. Allowing people bring TVs entry without paying seemed an obvious option, but it put a big hole in earning capital which slows down our progression on a whole.

THE NEW SYSTEM
WHAT ARE THE BASICS?
Here is what it comes down to basically. For every TV you bring, $5 goes towards a fund solely for the expenditure of that particular community. This means that there will be a separate fund dedicated to Guilty Gear/Third Strike/Smash/DOA. Where a tournament organiser is the same for two games (on a permanent basis), those two games may be considered the same fund. The separate funds are designed to fairly distribute money, where the committee doesn't have analyse the fairness of separate groups purchases against each other.

WHY THE ORGANISER?
The tournament organiser\s will be the one\s deciding what to spend the money on, and will cater to the needs of said community. The funds stay with Couch Warriors, and must be agreed on by committee in meetings generally like any form of expenditure.

WHAT INCENTIVES ARE THERE FOR THE INDIVIDUAL TO BRING THEIR TVS?
Their names will go down in history. Or be recorded along with their choice of fund they go into. This gives us a very useful measure of who's contributing to the events, and believe me, these people will not be forgotten as time gos by. While we are growing fast and there is a lot of work to do, we are not an organisation that turns our contributors into martyrs for the cause. :)

WHY TVS? WHY NOT GO BY ATTENDANCE?
Firstly, this causes a headache, as we have to find out what every single persons preference is, and there will simply be some people who come to check out the event with no preference at all.
The main reason however, is TVs factor really well into how much your community is contributing into making the event awesome. The amount your communities fund receives scales up with your attendance and the equipment you are able to earn.

WE BRING CRAPLOADS OF STUFF JUST NOT TVS! DOESNT SEEM FAIR
So buy TVs with your funds. As long as they are easily stored and accessible by your community, these TVs will earn your community fund just as much as volunteered ones. That said, remember that it is up to the tournament organiser and the CW committee whether the purchase of TVs go ahead. Replacing volunteered TVs with CW funded TVs is not the intention of this. It puts more workload on the organiser and funds could be spent elsewhere.

WE DONT NEED AS MANY TVS AS THE OTHER GUYS! DOESNT SEEM FAIR
If you bring your TV and your tournament doesn't need it, as long as it gets used, you still get to make your choice of fund. You could lend it to a smaller group for the day to help with their stuff, or you could set up something cool for casual play. The important factor here is that it's actually deemed useful. If you plonk a TV somewhere and it sits there unplayed, then it doesn't count. If you set up a game that gets regular play then it does. Sound good? This is also useful for groups with excess consoles/gear. Taking initiative and setting up a casual game that people like is also ****ing cool in my books, as long as the TV is actually considered excess.

A COUPLE OF THINGS TO REMEMBER
-Just to be clear, people bringing TVs are still paying for entry.
-Yes, the majority of our income will not be going towards the funds. Our goal is still very much to have capital available to go towards bigger and better events. Yeah, we love the John Curtin, but we still want to do an annual.
-$5 doesn't seem like much, however if a fund gets 5 TVs over 3 events, this is $75 and is enough to acquire basic equipment. You really shouldn't be spending more than $60 on a CW suitable CRT these days. People are basically trying to toss them out on Ebay! In any case, the reality of the situation is that $5 is an arbitrary amount that can be changed as it suits. Please also remember that it scales nicely with growth.
http://www.couchwarriors.org/smf/index.php?topic=2078.0

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
The above post in 1 sentence - Bring TV's for future events and $5 will go towards a Smash Bank.

In other news:

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Points are allocated as follows:
1st - 10
2nd - 9
3rd - 8
4th - 7
5th - 5
7th - 3
9th - 1

Anyone who has less than 3 points hasn't been included in the PR because there are too many. Otherwise, i'll keep on extending the list.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Falcon will penetrate the top 20....numerous times.
X should be marked as perfect attendance (for obvious reasons if you see the chart.)
I think I should start trying to get some points....if I don't get to at least 10 I suck for life.

KO, You play trainer (in tourney?), X plays Snake, Jei plays Fox, Atticus might play Marth?, Dekar plays DK, Cats plays Marth, Zelda, DK (and not Sonic it was like a one time thing), Zax plays Ike also. Maybe more too...

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
nuu Fox is just a fun char I play. I = Yoshi <3 lulz.
I believe Erick missed June's monthlie also.

And SIF Chris surpassed me! It burns!
k I'm done luvbai

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Season Intro:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/surviv...F3oadX7XideBRzf627C5w_yXoPK6E&play=true&cc=67

Profile:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/bio/ken_17/bio.php?season=17

Video:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/surviv...vbpksRQcYXzJd_oS1YT_IvsgK9T0C&play=true&cc=66

Biography
Ken Hoang (22)
Hometown: Westminster, California

Ken Hoang gives a new meaning to the term "gamer." Known to the gaming community as "the King of Smash," Hoang is a professional at his craft. As the current international champion of Nintendo's Super Smash Brothers Melee video game, Ken has traveled the world from Japan to Australia to prove his dominance.

Hoang uses his tournament winnings to help support his family. He and his siblings still live at home to help pay the mortgage. It has also led to a strong bond among his brothers and sisters. In fact it was his sister that started his addiction to SURVIVOR.

While he may seem like an interesting choice for a game based in the outdoors, this gamer sees it as an amazing opportunity. Ken is very creative, and has a strong passion for art, a skill he is currently going to college to fine tune. When not playing videogames or brushing up on his art, Hoang enjoys playing with his pets, a Maincoon cat named Kinski and a Husky named Monster.

He loves the fact that he will be considered an underdog because everyone will underestimate his prowess at playing mind games. Nobody would look at him and believe he climbed Mt. Fuji at the age of 20. Ready to exploit his slight physical stature, Ken will trick his fellow players into seeing him as a non-threat, only to smash them if they get in his way.

Ken is single and currently resides in Westminster, Calif. His birth date is October 10, 1985.

Entertainment Weekly Interview:
http://www.ew.com/ew/package/0,,20221152_20221172,00.html?bclid=1747275715&bctid=1749437141

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Heh Ken looks so happy ^_^
and I lol'd at "fresh Gamer blood".

Hay wouldn't it be cool if, in the ranbats list you could click on a player's name and see their stats (not that anyone could be bothered keeping tabs on stats)
I just thought it would be cool.

Btw all members of our little crew need to get on MSN and talk to Nay about what's happening this weekend.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Allisbrawl does that for you. It integrates TIO files into an interactive user profile which allows you to see exactly how you've done from the beginning of your copetitiev career to the end.

I've started reusing it from the August ranbat onwards (If you click my name it has some TIO results dating back to 2006-07):
http://www.allisbrawl.com/event.aspx?id=2401

The reuslts aren't accurate, I will have to delete it and replace it with a newer one, showing Ammeren and Cobalt both winning a set against each other, and also showing the full teams results.

_X_

Smash Lord
Falcon will penetrate the top 20....numerous times.
X should be marked as perfect attendance (for obvious reasons if you see the chart.)
I think I should start trying to get some points....if I don't get to at least 10 I suck for life.

KO, You play trainer (in tourney?), X plays Snake, Jei plays Fox, Atticus might play Marth?, Dekar plays DK, Cats plays Marth, Zelda, DK (and not Sonic it was like a one time thing), Zax plays Ike also. Maybe more too...
I should be marked as perfect attendance? Is that what you meant? If so I must confess that I did miss one (or two >_>).

And yeah, I do play Snake... 'cause he's just sexy like that.

EDIT: LOLWTF IS KEN DOING ON SURVIVOR?!?!?!?

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
LOL X coz of X for perfect attendance on the chart.
Survivor Ken is old news! He's ganna chain immunity into tipper vote everyone lolz they're fugged.

_X_

Smash Lord
Ken better win survivor....With MIND GAMES!
Just aslong as he doesn't forget to L-Cancel.

LOL X coz of X for perfect attendance on the chart.
Survivor Ken is old news! He's ganna chain immunity into tipper vote everyone lolz they're fugged.
OH, I understand... <_< :ohwell:

Shaz knowsz Kenz Uber 0-Death Survivor comboz.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Hey everyone, in case you haven't noticed yet, the final rules for GotGames is finally up. Please join the ladders as this will be a sponsored event.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160429

Joining ladders can be done here:
http://www.gotgames.com.au/gg/ladders/4

I also need to put out there that Wi-Fi is NOT a requirement to use the ladders. You are free to challenge anyone you wish, and that includes fellow members of the smash community, offline, however and whenever you want. So it works both ways, in the interests of Online and Offline players, and we have the added benefit of using GotGame's ladder software.

We need a boost in numbers before September 7! :)

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
I think there was a misunderstanding about what characters I play... :)
I have never played Marth in a Brawl tourney match. Meta-Knight is my current "main" as far as I play the game anymore (only at CWers lol), Kirby hasn't been abandoned though. The competitiveness of the GG ladder might inspire me to try and get into it again.

My Melee house tournament will probably strike next weekend. I'll put up the thread w/ details once I get the green light from parents.

Mystify

Smash Rookie
I am hopefully going to come to the next tourney, I do have a few questions. If these have already been asked and answered then I apologise - but I looked at the OP, and I didn't see them specifically answered.

First question, is this open to everyone? What I mean is, can I just rock up on the day with my controller and enter the tourney? Do I have to put my name down as an entrant before the actual day? Also, is it pretty much an 'only join if you're godly' kind of thing, or are the people there usually pretty friendly and nice, regardless of your skill level? Unfortunately there's no real way to describe your own skill level, but I'd say I'm average. Maybe a tad below.

That's all my questions, I think. Sorry to be a pain, I just don't want to rock up on the day and realize I should have registered before time, or rock up, enter my first match, have my Meta Knight utterly destroyed by someone's Captain Falcon, get laughed at and leave the hotel in shame. xP

Thanks in advance.

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
First question, is this open to everyone?What I mean is, can I just rock up on the day with my controller and enter the tourney?
Yup it is
Do I have to put my name down as an entrant before the actual day?
No, just rock up and sign up on the day with a $5 entry fee
Also, is it pretty much an 'only join if you're godly' kind of thing, or are the people there usually pretty friendly and nice, regardless of your skill level?
I'd say most people in the Melb scene are accomodating and fairly nice - we are friendly =)
There is a vast range of skill level within the Melb scene, so don't feel discouraged in relation to brawl ability
... have my Meta Knight utterly destroyed by someone's Captain Falcon, get laughed at and leave the hotel in shame. xP
MK is godly =D <3 MK!

Mystify

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the quick reply Amaterasu - I do have one more very quick question that I forgot to ask in my first post,

Age; I am sixteen, and I will either be turning up alone, or with my other friend who is the same age, will we need a parent or guardian with us, or will we still be able to get in to the hotel on our own?

Might be a stupid question, but as I said - better safe than sorry. =D

Mystify

Smash Rookie
Okay thanks, I told my dad about it and he said he knows the hotel quite well, and he can't remember a part of it that is available to underages or would be able to hold so many TV's, computers or whatever - but maybe he's just getting forgetful in his old age. :p

If you've seen people my age turning up and getting in alright - I'm sure it'll be okay. Again, thank you for the replies.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
The area the event is held is upstairs in the 'band room'. It is not a requirement of entry to be aged over 18years, but to purchase alcohol at the venues bar downstairs you will need to be (for any who plan to do so).

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
The bar and kitchen is downstairs and the top floor contains the bandroom where we set up all of our equipment.

Hope to see you there ~

Ramenbowl

Smash Rookie
I'm noob (first time I've owned a smash bros game, and at that I've only had it 2-3 weeks lol), but I may compete in this just for the fun of it, or to at least see some games!

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Sweet. New people are always welcome.

OMFG STD was crazy....CRAZAAAY!
Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can get my new character up to tournament level and surprise all who weren't at last night's STD with epic ownage....

moo-ha-ha?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Based off what I think and have seen from our tournaments:

Metaknight
Falco
Snake
Pit
Marth
IC
Diddy
Mr G&W
King DDD
Wario
ROB
Wolf
DK
Pikachu
Lucario
Kirby
Toon Link
Fox
Peach
Zelda
Olimar
Link
Zamus
Luigi
Ike
Shiek
Lucas
Mario
Ness
Pokemon Trainer
Bowser
Samus
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Sonic
Ganondorf
Cptn. Falcon

Everence

Smash Apprentice
aww, another meatknight player? would be nice to see some other underused characters being used but i suppose it can't be helped. hope to play against you at the next meet

is there a list anywhere of the number of people using certain characters for melbourne?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
People constantly change their mains, so a player/character database wouldn't be the best use of time.

In other news, I think I just found the ultimate venue for Melbourne's major tournaments ~ I just died of happiness, it even makes paying how much you want for food and Dodgeball a reality

Dekar289

Smash Hero
sif lucario so high

atticus has a dodgeball facility? his parents make you PAY for food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom