• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] BAM6 announced, May 9-11 2014! Congrats to Dekar, SD and Shaya!

Tin Man

Smash Hero
thanks for the invite to commentate brawl

it's ok, the stream will just miss out on my perfect knowledge about everything as a result of reading V115's threads, and my subsequent perfect theory-crafting skills about the possible and impossible (i.e. critical hits).
What threads did V115 write? If they're constructive, I'd like to take a peek at em myself :)

SurPr15e

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
So the good news it that my principal seems okay with me going if it doesn't conflict with assessments (which it doesn't) and my mum is alright with it if someone goes down with me (ie my brother and probably my dad same as last time and that's sorted) which means i'm probably coming.

There also happens to be no bad news. I just have to confirm everything and i'll most likely register. When does registration close just so I know my time limit?

Splice

Smash Hero
We're not actually following that schedule are we? Not strictly at least right?
4 hours for Project M Pools+Finals but this game could have practically equal entrants to brawl/melee
Also doubles Pools? Are we actually doing that? I wouldn't be against it but we've never done that before.

S.D

Smash Master
Good ol doubles - anyone read what Wife had to say?

TEAM MEETING

Thoughts?

Also wow to Saturday, bring your ecstasy tablets yo.

Doubles pools? Unnecessary imo, bracket should be sufficient unless there is some compelling reason for pools?

Also for Friday do we want to arrange some ACTUAL EXHIBITIONS???

Crew battle has to be Friday, sorry Haikal but I don't see it fitting anywhere else in the schedule (except for maybe after singles but the hype will have died down a lot by then?) What do you guys think?

Last edited:

FinXx

Smash Apprentice
May 4th is when pre reg closes, or you'll have to pay an extra 10 bucks at the door.
Out of curiosity, do you know if tickets get sent by mail or something? Or is it all done online?

Also for Friday do we want to arrange some ACTUAL EXHIBITIONS???

Crew battle has to be Friday, sorry Haikal but I don't see it fitting anywhere else in the schedule (except for maybe after singles but the hype will have died down a lot by then?) What do you guys think?
I would love there to be crew battles on Friday evening (so I can come straight from work and participate :D)

Last edited by a moderator:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Doubles pools actually bracket. Typo.

I'll get onto that.

Saturday is hectic, but it was necessary I if we wanted to get on the main stage on Sunday. If necessary, PM matches can be delayed to Sunday, although I'd prefer not to.

I gonna go full dictator on Saturday; DQs for anyone who isn't cooperating. It's gonna be full on.

If anyone changes a brawl setup to PM during bracket, consider your life forfeit. Srs.

Id like to host exhibitions, but no one is putting their hands up. Brawl I think needs a doubles set, with commentary from someone hype over the mic.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
@SD / Wife's Post regarding doubles; I've felt that doubles hasn't been respected properly really. Especially when we have no dedicated teams who are the same people each time; Me+Tak, Joey+Toshi and Dave+Phil are the only somewhat consistent team setups in Victoria. Doubles in Melee makes less sense than Doubles in Brawl too. In Brawl they are less messy and actually have gameplay which is not ambiguous; much easier understand and follow than Melee doubles.
I feel it's up to the scene, if we still feel we're getting a good experience out of having Melee doubles that's our call. People need to vote or put their hands up. Personally, I'd like doubles to go ahead because I have a dedicated team mate.

@Attila: P:M is not going to finish before you start those Brawl pools. Hands down, not a chance. Big props on securing some main stage action, but you're going to want to have some time set aside during or after those doubles finals on Sunday to finish the P:M bracket.

As for exhibitions, we should start discussing interstate crew battles now and finalise the characters that SurPr15e will be using against me in our $50 Money Match.
I'd also like to vs. Steve on the big screen in Brawl, and we should have a round robin pool like S2J, Hax, Lord and SilentSpectre had with Falcon.
Aggromidget, Skeletom, Smoking Puppy, ZXV, just to name a few.

we could also do mewtwo :150:

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
What if we did PM finals after our main stage on Sunday? Just spitballing here.

Also more suggestions for exhibitions - some kind of RR would be cool, or even Cactuar Pancake bracket???

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace

TEAM MEETING

Thoughts?
Wife's point is pretty valid. I know I'll keep entering because I enjoy teams. I think we need to be aware what we sacrifice running teams. However, I think things like crews would have the same good players just teaming problems. Doubles definitely gives lower players a chance to use synergy to compete with the strong singles players.

I think interstate crew battles are the priority for exhibitions?

On Sunday we could try and run an amateur bracket after finals. This has the added benefit of giving people who knocked out Saturday an extra reason to back Sunday

Splice

Smash Hero
Cactuar Pancake was pretty messy. I didn't like it. The lack of items and being singles makes it still too serious but then you're just dealing with RNG and clumsy matchups.
Teams Item Stamina is a favourable event in my eyes. Now that's Chaos!

Sunday after the main stage is a great time to finish PM finals. I don't think we should attempt an Amateur brackets, we run the risk of not having enough time, and having like one or two friendly setups for new players would be preferable if we can manage it.

Should we vote or decide now on what to do for the Exhibitions? THIS IS AROUND THE CORNER GUYS
any word from TedXV?

FinXx

Smash Apprentice
As for exhibitions, we should start discussing interstate crew battles now and finalise the characters that SurPr15e will be using against me in our $50 Money Match.
I'd also like to vs. Steve on the big screen in Brawl, and we should have a round robin pool like S2J, Hax, Lord and SilentSpectre had with Falcon.
Aggromidget, Skeletom, Smoking Puppy, ZXV, just to name a few.
I'll officially put my hand up as an interstate participant for crew battles, even though I'll technically be living in Melbourne by then. Also, Zxv isn't coming to BAM (I asked him at the last Revival of Sydney tournament)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I think not running teams would be better for the scene.

Either having more singles games, more time for singles friendlies, or other singles based side events rather than teams is a good idea.

I think this mostly because while everyone loves themselves some teams at times, and I'm sure the players who get free money from it each time aren't complaining, no one actually cares about teams at all in a competitive sense in AUS.

Like I cannot name any instance where anyone properly practices teams, and there is really only a few set teams that enter as the same duo time and time again.

Doubles holds up the singles brackets at every single event ever, end story. Every single monthly making teams semis/finals happen (if it even does happen) is a total joke.

We don't have to fill any void teams has left either, look at other competitive fighters. They have singles and maybe crews. Some don't have crews events at all so why can't we just follow suit and do singles only with the exception of the occasional extra event?

And I'm not talking about having singles not just at BAM or majors, I think that effectively as a TO group it would be best to do exactly as suggested as just end it now.

No Doubles also gives room for larger pools, more games in bracket sets, or less 10pm finals at our events thus enhancing the singles experience on its own.

2c from others?

Splice

Smash Hero
Running 3 singles tournaments, and with the prospect of running 4 being around the corner with Smash 4's pending release, Doubles is not something that can be ran for all the different games (8 tournaments??), and running them at all may certainly not be the best use of any extra time. While Brawl at least has a lot of strategy and interesting mechanics in Doubles, it's about the audience; how many people would debate attending and factor teams in as a reason to come to a tournament like BAM?
If only 6 people care about the event, then even if 24 people enter you're still running an event for 6 people.
If you ran a different event, you'd still pull all those entrants and more but perhaps more people would be interested. Perhaps it'd be better if everyone could just play more friendlies?

But I don't think that 'following suit' of other competitive fighters has anything to do with it. While it's cool to be cosy with the FGC, this is not an area in which we have to assimilate. They don't have the choice to play teams mostly, whereas we have lived with teams for a long time.

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Brawl is keeping doubles. Melee can do what it wants.

Saturday is hectic, but it was necessary I if we wanted to get on the main stage on Sunday. If necessary, PM matches can be delayed to Sunday, although I'd prefer not to.
Yep. Answered that one already.

Let's to keep it as an 'as necessary' option. I'd prefer not to have to muck around with games when AE and UMVC3 finals are on.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Teams is probably my favourite part about Smash, and what makes it unique to most other fighters (well, all that I know of).

Not sure why we would exclude this from the scene, but I'm not too fussed as long as P:M and Brawl still have doubles (because Melee doubles is just too hard for me).

I really feel like P:M doubles can become something very competitive, whilst Brawl definitely is (me and Invisi showing that two not so amazing players can still "do well"). I'd rather Brawl Singles dropped sooner than Doubles, same with P:M if I could find someone to partner with consistently (because I feel teaming in that would require a lot more synergy/practice).

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
I think not running teams would be better for the scene.

Either having more singles games, more time for singles friendlies, or other singles based side events rather than teams is a good idea.

I think this mostly because while everyone loves themselves some teams at times, and I'm sure the players who get free money from it each time aren't complaining, no one actually cares about teams at all in a competitive sense in AUS.

Like I cannot name any instance where anyone properly practices teams, and there is really only a few set teams that enter as the same duo time and time again.

Doubles holds up the singles brackets at every single event ever, end story. Every single monthly making teams semis/finals happen (if it even does happen) is a total joke.

We don't have to fill any void teams has left either, look at other competitive fighters. They have singles and maybe crews. Some don't have crews events at all so why can't we just follow suit and do singles only with the exception of the occasional extra event?

And I'm not talking about having singles not just at BAM or majors, I think that effectively as a TO group it would be best to do exactly as suggested as just end it now.

No Doubles also gives room for larger pools, more games in bracket sets, or less 10pm finals at our events thus enhancing the singles experience on its own.

2c from others?
I think a lot of it is going to be a time and set ups thing. For example at Miles' House we were pretty good about finishing at a reasonable time both days except for brawl not bringing enough set ups. So if we have that much time then running teams is fine. But if we have a situation like what happened recently at Fight Pitt 4 or whatever in America where they finished as they were being thrown out of the venue then teams is an obvious cut.

As people were saying on Friday night, the Don't Come tournaments were supposedly heaps of fun, so perhaps we should focus on different events for different tournaments rather than trying to fit everything in one.

ViVa

Smash Ace
This is what I think about doubles as well tbh. It's fun and I love playing brawl in a 2v2 setting but I think not many of us really care for it competitively. We shouldn't run tournaments that not a lot of people really care about. Especially if it ends up hindering the progression of singles which nearly every single player attending the tournament cares about and is primarily focused on.

Having to have 4 chairs around a single set-up for doubles which may cause space issues can be resolved too if we just have setups with 2 seats if we decide to remove doubles. Although having more than 2 seats in front of a setup is nice for when people rotate in a group for singles friendlies. Maybe we should only have 2 seat and 4 seat setups when the venue isn't large enough for us to spread out, which probably isn't going to be a problem at BAM anyway but I wanted to mention it.

I know guys like Jei and Khoa care a lot for brawl teams and always team up. From playing a lot against them I know they take brawl doubles pretty seriously. Also if Earl and Nicks were still around(Maybe they have been turning up I sorta took a break from the scene for a bit so idk) they'd be worth mentioning too since they were also a consistent returning competitive team for brawl who took doubles quite seriously iirc. In NSW Ted and Luke were a strong doubles team too right? The Walls Of Elysium iirc. Maybe Tibs and Attila for brawl doubles is a consistent thing if Tibs turns up to stuff. Maybe there's more brawl teams I should remember and mention but nowadays I feel like doubles is just a fun side event for most people but I can see some people being against the removal of doubles tournaments.

It doesn't seem like Attila wants to kill off Brawl doubles anyway but I would be fine with it being gone. Maybe it's just me but at most tournaments all I really want to do is play singles and singles friendlies but I don't mind playing doubles. Doubles exhibitions could be cool too. Between rival teams(if such a thing exists) or just the strongest team in one state against the strongest team from another state. Although if we were to do a state vs state exhibition I'd rather see crews.

S.D

Smash Master
@ SurPr15e SurPr15e Melee Doubles will still run at BAM, that was more of a general conversation starter which, admittedly, should have gone in another thread.

While we're on the subject, my feeling is that doubles has generally acted as a warm up for singles events, which was welcome, however when it threatens to cause time issues it should be the first thing to go. Alternatively doubles could be allocated as a side event which can be run after all singles brackets time allowing. I personally really enjoy doubles, and it has actually provided some epic moments for audiences (think Miles House). I don't see an immediate need to drop the format altogether, but we may need to reconsider its implementation.

THAT SAID - who wants to team at BAM?
I'll be entering Melee and PM doubles (I play Pit in PM so I'm pretty bad).

EDIT: I'll do some big MM for exhibitions maybe? Any takers?

Last edited:

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
I'm thinking I can house a couple of people. Maybe 2.

Is anyone having trouble finding housing?

As Viva mentioned, I'm against the removal of teams but will understand if it had to be dropped because of the new smash. Makes sense.

Edited: @SD I won't drag you down in melee again but we can try the p:m team we missed out on last time if you want?

Last edited:
Top Bottom