• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] BAM6 announced, May 9-11 2014! Congrats to Dekar, SD and Shaya!

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Despite my obvious distaste for the one stock change I must say I have been playing harder, enjoying myself more and agree with pretty much everything shaya just said.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
What?
you already knew my just worded stance didn't you? :p

Perhaps bench pressing all the crap I come out out with on your ears all weekend finally got to you? <3

Last edited:

KECTULF

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, for those who don't know me I ran the stream for Smash at BAM. I did this on literally minutes notice when asked by the smash community. All matches were recorded locally due to some hardware failure and I will en-devour to get them uploaded asap for your enjoyment. Until then if your really keen you can trawl through the footage here http://www.twitch.tv/keepetclassy Follow us :3

Regarding some problems:
Stream Buffering: I stream at 720p which is the reason for the buffering, only twitch partners have the options of letting people change quality while watching a stream. Hopefully soon I shall be once which will make all future events more fun :D

Hardware Failure: My modem started shutting down after 1-2 minutes of connecting to twitch, caused long down time and made me sad :( even though I wasn't meant to be streaming or getting paid for it, presentation is a big thing for me and I like to put my all into what I do.

Black and White Melee: Only ever have filmed with HDMI devices and such I have never encountered this issue before. I was given an RCA to HDMI converter so we could stream. However due to the problem that PAL60 brings I could not fix this (not due to lack of trying!) I worked for nearly 1 hour straight trying to fix the issue with not even a slightest change. Let's just say I needed a smoke after that XD

The future:
I respect the Smash Community Immensely and love your enthusiasm, commitment and friendliness. I am based in QLD and if you would like my services for future events please feel free to contact me, with time and planning I can do some pretty damn good production values. I will be at Shadowloo Showdown again this year so come say hi! I may even get organised ahead of time to stream Smash the whole weekend ;)

You can find me at
www.facebook.com/keepetclassyau
https://twitter.com/KeCAaron
www.keepetclassy.com
https://www.youtube.com/KeepetClassy

Cheers,
Aaron

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Aaron put in work. A really, really large amount of work. Show your support by liking/subscribing/following where relevant.

He deserves much thanks!

S.D

Smash Master
My relative conclusions about one stock:

It forces the good players to take it seriously.

Three stocks is a long time, for the good brawl players, they don't have to try because over 3 stocks, chances are you'll win even if you started off poorly. This is probably the main anti-argument, the whole adaption thing. But in Australia's case, the adaption argument is bull ****, we all suck too much, when we lose because its 1 stock, its our fault for not playing properly, not the fact we couldn't adapt fast enough.
My first set against Dean was a great example of these "negatives", and my losses were my fault. I made single critical mistakes that lost matches, and hence the set. The result of the fifth match of that set I felt had a lot to do with RNG (2 gordos from dedede side b out of like 3-4 tosses), which goes to show that the whole consistency argument exists; chances are those gordos wouldn't have had so much impact in 3 stocks as they did in one stock, but that's an acceptable 'change', imo (G&W, dedede and Peach are all characters that can win matches due to RNG, but I doubt 1 stock will turn them all into lame *** top tiers who need to get banned). Either way, I still lost 2 games purely from my mistakes and Dean capitalizing, which is fantastic.

Because of this, I felt I needed to do things properly. Play matches from the getgo with the intention of winning, not ****ing up, and caring for my mistakes. If I make mistakes I should be liable to lose matches, this isn't a common factor besides evenly skilled players in 3 stocks, but is a constant factor in 1 stock.
If I'm forced to play properly from the get go, my opponent gets the most out of playing me as well, and they should improve faster as a result. The whole pseudo-sandbag thing that the current good brawl players do in this country is way too widespread and the 1-stock change may be the shake up we need to improve our own esteem, which would hopefully trickle down to other players.

i'm still not entirely sold on 3 stocks vs 1, but my notion of Higher Risk/Forced to play properly is likely the biggest reason why I think 1 stock may be better for The Australian Scene right now.
Other things may need to change, for one, Pokemon Stadium needs to go. Every match I played on PS1 went to sub 10 seconds on the clock (or time out). The stage naturally stalls a match until the sub 1 minute mark.
Best of nine for grand finals is excessive. Best of 7s are fine.

To compare with Melee, the top players in melee obviously do get to sandbag, but their mistakes are just as critical at nearly every level of play. This isn't the case in Australian Brawl, where punishments are not necessarily consistent, and even if they are they aren't winning you matches (which you may argue that they should) - this naturally promotes aggressive plays, and doesn't punish you as harshly for making them as they do in 3 stocks.
Interesting analysis Shaya, and well articulated.

Curiously, watching back melee finals I noticed that it tended to be one critical mistake per match that cost me time and time again. A big error, compounded by a strong punish, was almost invariably the difference in every match. I suppose this concept is exacerbated to the extreme by single stock matches, and playing with that in mind can only be beneficial for an overall mindset and approach. If I take anything from the tournament it will be this.

EDIT: Aaron you are a legend for stepping in and doing what you did. You had no obligation to do so and your efforts were greatly appreciated by the community. In future we will be sure to make smash streaming a more attractive venture for prospective casters, and actually being reimbursed for your time. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
final registration numbers:
melee singles: 71 entrants
melee teams 48 entrants (24 teams)

brawl singles 29 entrants
brawl teams 19 entrants (9.5 teams)

project m singles: 55 entrants
project m teams 36 entrants (18 teams)

late reverse shoutouts

hobs: hope you see you and you're bro at melee meets and/or tournaments. less soul-crushing and more friendlies next time, yeah?

jamwa:
#jimnation

sebby: i'm rigging future brackets so we never play again (if you keep improving i'll just DQ you), ggs tho

nido: i think sometimes you rely a bit too much on pk fire, though it is amazing. good too see you weren't a one trick pony though and actually had plenty of sick combos, like comboing people into the air, back onto the ground and finishing with an f-smash. sick. nice spikes, too.

max: you can be so good, stop choking pls. and next time i WILL wreck any ivysaurs i see, so you best switch!

dean: i saw one brawl singles match all day, and it was you're bowser beating attila. cool.

SurPr15e: you brought the hype, and I have no doubt you will continue to bring the hype. now your legend will spread interstate, and they will come from all over to challenge you. hype!

Luco: if brawl keeps having a 1 stock ruleset, I'll defs keep entering. might try some DK next time! looking forward to our inevitable next set

attila: i'll defs hit you up soon with a detailed list of suggested improvements to consider if you continue to head up smash organization (hopefully with improved assistance from myself and others), but don't take it as criticism, ofc you did great but I'm always looking for ways to improve!

Best of nine for grand finals is excessive. Best of 7s are fine.
agreed

aaron: you're a legend. it's super exciting for us to see someone with as much passion for presentation as american smash streamers like VGBC and clash tournaments. can't wait to see you get a better grasp on smash and present to the best of your capabilities (which i'm sure will be easier in future with more notice from organisers and a better internet connection!).

shaya: thanks for the p:m tips and grats on beating that olimar player. next time i see you it'll be me coming up to nsw, i'm guessing.

tin man: olimar is such a bad character imo, i really hate losing to it. those ICs though... stay away from that and just let me gimp your olimar in future, thanks.

sd: GGs. i think we both know that it comes down to who's playing better on the day (or even just in our sets), and this weekend we seemed to be playing my (JANK) game. one or two crucial moments in a set (like the ending of a yoshi's story match you seemed to have won) can make such a big psychological difference for the rest of the sets. if you'd won that (first game you played falco i think) it'd make such a big difference. man those twitch vods are choppy, can't wait for our man aaron to upload the raw footage so we can analyze what actually happened.

pcg: now you see my coaching style, win by example! that is, win by showing you what not to rely on: jank reads! also yeah, MDZ or ZXV tag instead next time
phrase: just noticed you're smashboards join date. impressive **** for someone who's so relatively new to melee. keen to see you again down the line getting minimum top 8.

tak: double mewtwo was an emotionally draining experience

skeletom: feels like you didn't really get going all day tbh, and yet you still get 4th... whatevs. also left back air -> right back air -> tipper lolol

redx: if you switch against sebby, why not switch against others too, like tom? you're secondaries and legit man, defs try them more. perhaps only sheik for the spacies? idk

redact: you played so good holy **** (dat teams synergy), didn't have to vs you in melee singles bracket YEAA, my pro p:m tip, when ness is offstage go and back air him or ANYTHING

atticus: played so average holy ****, didn't have to vs you in melee singles bracket YEAA, my pro p:m tip, when ness is offstage go and back air him or ANYTHING

all the new people i met and played: i probs forgot your name and/or couldn't play nearly as many friendlies as I would have liked because i was too busy running the tournament or watching atticus taunt with dk
however i hope you continue to come to meets and smaller tournaments (if any) before shadowloo, and keep playing lots of people and getting better! there's never been a better time to be into melee. i hope you're a member of the vic smash facebook group by now.

Last edited:

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
71 people pretty crazy, considering all the N.S.W and Qld peeps that didn't go, should really put some effort into getting everyone to melb for one big major and having exhibition sets ala armada doco. Haven't really had all the big names show up to the same tourney since reloaded/bam2k12. I've got free flights for whenever I want as long as I give 2 weeks notice to the airlines.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
"oh no, what if my retreating fair gets read? I'd better adjust that to a retreating airdodge so I'm safe"
fun format (y)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Shoutouts:

PROPS TO ATILLA FOR RUNNING STUFF, I think it's probably my turn to run the next major but I really need to get a lisence first LOL.

Sam: You need my $50 an hour smash lessons to beat dekar. I'll teach you jank so hard that it'll make my jank look like stanard play. Either way good show in both games but too bad you lost to Dave, he's a bad person.

Dave: peaaaccchhhh. I didn't blow at teams this time so we got to win. Learn to p:m it's not that hard lol. GZ on winning, stop practicing in like secret or something and come to meets so me and sam can learn to beat you more.

Jared: Pretty damn sure the last time I beat you was in 2012 so go me lol. Blame haikal for letting you down in teams though. Come to more meets and you'll have less issues with me.

Tom: You're the most improved player in the melb scene IMO, you've bridged the gap between the middle tier and the top and I think that's bigger than anyone has done in a long time now. You gotta come up with some jank magic to start beating dekar and s.d now.

Billy: Salt master Billy. You need a cooler alias since both splice and billy are bad names, I think that's the key to placing top in melee. You also need to learn to punish peach since you play the neutral game right but your punish game could have made it an easy win.

Haikal: More consistant please. Also $55 upsmash is totally gonna become a thing now, I'll make it a thing.

Joey: The hype generator, all the top moments come from you man. Too bad luigi kinda sucks in singles, I would have loved to see you go far in bracket with some misfire magic.

Matt-g: You did good in teams man, they had puff figured out by the finals so the rest magic didnt take us all the way lol.

Sebby: azn pryde so good at melee already whomg you should play me more so i can teach you how to **** spacies harder

Jamie: total fraud joke little boy player. You should learn a viable yet weird character in melee like uhh... idk just play something that I can combo really hard.

Suprise: you suck, l2p

Randall: while i may have kept myself composed in my set with sam, I hate you with such passion I am actually going to go INTO melee and **** IN YOUR BREAKFAST AND **** IN YOUR BED **** YOU ****

Here is a list of people that are cool that I dont have specific stuff to say to, like Tak, PCG, RedX, Shaya, Tin Man, Cody, jkts, phased, forte, daniel, dd, dean, nido, jei, dreadtech, bus, Tommy, Plasia, Juci, Timic.

You guys are all cool and thats why this event was baller as.

Super thanks to anyone who brought setups, tvs and all that stuff.

I am going to take a set off Dekar and/or S.D at shadowloo, watch out.

S.D

Smash Master
I don't think you used it enough, it's super broken.
Also I think you could string an extra 2-3 DJC uairs on most chracters after low % d throw, but I was really impressed with your overall play.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@ Dekar289 Dekar289 : Third time's the charm! I'd really love some more DK practice, by the time I versed Allens he was in the process of switching to MK and I ended up beating him out.

And of course i'll be looking forward to that set too. :D

You can always practice your CGs with Marth or DK though, i'd never take it personally and it gives me more practice against other players who can CG me along with ICs (who I actually need to practice against now *twitch*)

I will also add to everything that's been said about the one-stock format, I noticed that I really pushed myself under it to the max which was probably a good thing. The sets were incredibly tense and forced me to commit and try everything I could and in the end it seemed to work out for the better. A few good examples are my sets against Dekar and Yosh, both of whom iirc pushed me to either 2-0 or 2-1 before I frantically tried everything I could to win the next few and come back from it.

That set vs Yosh was so clutch, I wish it could have been recorded. @.@

Last edited:

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Attila: If you need help running things just say something. I must have asked you like 5 times at least if everything was fine but you never asked me to do anything. btw you did a great job.

KECTULF/keepetclassy/stream-saviour: It was me who asked you to help us out with the smash stream. The splitter and the xrgb (whatever -> hdmi converter) are my equipment and I literally had no idea there was any problem with melee. No one told me and the worst thing is I know exactly how to fix it (like 5mins max). Thanks again, you're the best.

People besides Shaz who think they can play Roy: I've been playing Roy in tournaments since before your voice broke. Go away, get your own character, thanks.

Tak: You're awesome, keep it up

Redact: Thanks for the PM games, I rarely get to play anyone besides my friend (who isn't very good) or in tournament

Shaz: Thankyou very much for the tips, you're the best sensei ever.

Freddo: Was great to see you again man, been too long. Let's hangout and play PM (not melee please)

Haikal: Thanks for playing my friend, I'm glad you liked my controller :)

Friends who can't be bothered to give me a shoutout: Thanks, it means a lot, I love you all too.

Thoughts on streaming

I think we should fend for ourselves when it comes to streaming, I shouldn't have to bug interstate visitors just so we can get our matches and atmosphere recorded and streamed. I'll start budgeting for the proper equipment.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Finished my ****ing essay

Now to put twice as much effort into these shoutouts...
ENJOY SCROLLING DOWN THIS ONE ****ERS

edit: yep, just under 1000 more words than my actual essay.

Dekar: Congrats on the victory dude! Idk if it's just me but I sense a bit of change in attitude for you towards the game, after doing a fair bit of TOing last year and winning consistantly before SD's arrival, you seemed quite apathetic towards your skill level. Definitely feels like you are in it to win it now, and that's really good to see. I enjoy watching your Marth more than our space animals players because the things you do are quite foreign to me, which makes your follow-ups and punishes very exciting and intriguing.

SD: Much respect for not going Fox in PM, although it's the only MU I have any knowledge of in the whole game. Guess it still helped against Haikal. How much of the pot did you split with Randall?

Redact: Thanks heaps for supporting me in P:M singles and generally being loud. You are the hardest opponent for me in Melee (when you're using Falco), in the last year I've taken less friendly games off you than anyone else. Please teach me why I'm **** in extensive detail at some point.

Tak: You played so well in Melee doubles, it was ridiculous. I was hardly implementing the laser strat as much as we were previously but I think I ended up doing the perfect amount of lazers to give you room and fighting someone myself. But yes, unlike previous ventures in doubles together, there was no depression from either of us and we took sets back. To beat Dekar and Redact we just needed blind luck. We can both beat either of them in 1v1's, we'd just be the under dogs, so I was just hoping we happened to both have our lucky break at the same time and win two seperate 1v1's in doubles haha :p Almost worked on FD tbh. Cheers for being 2m24 the guys from Canberra. I think we were 2m24ourselves and we just over loaded the m2 scale and ended up having a really **** doubles team combination.

RedX: Learn the sheik ditto. I realised Surprise plays sheik too and he took a game off you... Tak and Seb beat you with Sheik... what are you just abysmal at spacing? What's the deal yoooooo
Would love to see you at the HoC more wherever it's relocating to, hope you stay tuned for the next instalment of Wreaking Bad.

Bu$: **** you're unlucky d00d. I feel pretty unlucky too, and I don't know how you feel coz I can't read your mind (only your techs) but I reckon we could both perform and place way higher on a given day. Just need to not **** up for a whole day... yeah that's a daunting task.

Miles: I can't respect the headphones strat. Sounds like you got up to all kinds of weird ass **** antics too, you need to settle down.

Cody: Way too meta. Is this use of the word 'defiantly' also some kind of trap? Shame we had to vs. in singles, you could've won but you choked pretty hard. Kept just doing this walking forward thing but in a kind of vulnerable situation (dont remember 100%) which I've never seen you do before and kept getting free down airs from it. Stay healthy!

Jei: Gratz on first seed in pools. Really makes me want to play gay as all hell seeing you camp that edge with Pit, it really cheesed my nipples off and I'd like to do something like that again. But playing GnW properly is so far removed from Melee/P:M mindset it's not worth it :(

Dean: Solid placing, definitely earning a rep that you should've already had for several years. One of the most competent Brawl players over the years and always a mere step down from the powerhouses such as Ted and Tibs. Probably someone that should've been beating me in the last few years since I stopped enjoying Brawl but the amount that GnW ***** DDD (at least imo) has probably had a negative impact on your reputation.

Hughie: Oh god, I didn't realise you came last in P:M. I honestly believe that you were the strongest player that I vs'd in bracket except for Haikal. I guess being easily predictable goes a long way but in terms of spacing and trying to get in on your character when you had stage control it was just damn scary. You were only predictable because you let me slow the match down and you started challenging me at times when I could retreat easily and punish you if you messed up. I know I told you that at tournament but might as well type it i guess. idk.. w/e

Everyone who lost to Nido: Respect the UpB it works like pretty good now. Nice if you can grab the edge and punish it, preferably with some invulnerability frames from the edge if you're going down to hit him (just in case you are 2 slow). If Ness lands on the ground he has pretty much no lag, idk about you guys but for Mewtwo but I can space an Fsmash to hit him immediately as he lands, and if he didn't actually go straight into the ground an Fair will catch him during his freefall. Learn to SDI he shouldn't be able to get anything out of PK Fire. I only took grabs out of PK Fire because I was being overconfident in my SDI and thinking I could hit his attempted follow ups (which I actually could every time except if he went for grab). Fsmash setups are pretty scary and hard to watch out for though, and any character with a DJC is going to need you to operate at a higher level of spacing. I just have my own DJC so it's cruisy tho wahahaha
wp still tho Nido, defs deserved your time to shine. Was clutch of me to get that spike to win the first set, and second set I just kind of knew the deal with Ness a fair bit better.

Haikal: So glad I could wreck you in Losers, it was exactly what I needed. I don't care if it was 3-2 last stock get #rekt
I think our rivalry probably would not exist if it were not for Forte and Tommy being the devils on the shoulder for both of us lol. Kind of unfortunate I didn't play you in Melee though, would just be nice to see where we're at in friendlies. The meet at Phil's showed 0 skill from both of us so that does not count.

Forte: Cheers for the Fox vs Mewtwo friendlies, I learnt that I could DJC Nair when Fox goes for Uthrow Uair above 50% and so I saved myself like infinity times doing that against Haikal (although I still failed it a lot and took some Uairs). Hope you are satisfied with what I'm doing with Mewtwo and I think it's awesome we have a little Mewtwo scene in melb. I think we have more Mewtwos than anything. Mewtwo round robin exhibition next tournament, It must happen.

1&%: Falco wrecks Falcon and I know the matchup and you probably wouldn't know Falco too well. The bopping you received in pools really wasn't an accurate display of what you can do and I could tell. Was great to vs. you in teams, you worked quite well with Jei. Ganondorf is a trash character and with a Falcon as good as yours I'd leave Ganon for friendlies. He will only bring you tears and regret in tournament, especially on PAL Melee where he sucks tremendously.

Tinman: Ah, even though I don't play Brawl anymore I'm really sour I did not beat your IC's. There was a time 2 years ago when Attila was using a lot of IC's but I was able to force him out of playing IC's with the UpB windbox strat when he tries any shield pressure on me on a platform. Because I keep thinking you could waveland and I'm generally no longer sure of how safe I am in the air etc. I was not able to make the right decisions to emulate this play style and it's something I'm interested in since GnW players generally regard it as one of the 5 worst matchups, whereas I think it is positive on half the stage list. I wanted to be the guy, but instead I got grabbed so well played for that. Much better to hang out with you this time round, and looking forward to seeing you again. It was unlucky that we first met at Shadowloo last year where I was being a moody ****.

Shaya: Although you talk too much and if the way you spoke was typed out in paragraphs, there'd be this jumble of hesitant words between each paragraph so much so that I could not get a word in before you started the next one, but I enjoyed everything you said as I either agree with you on some relatively complicated idea that I'm glad someone else thought about, or you present a new perspective altogether which is still pleasant for me. Even your post in this thread about 1 stock echoed my support for it, whilst also bringing up stuff I didn't even think about making me have to second guess and then agree with the ruleset again but now for different reasons. Ah you're just great, and even though you did the most useless Bair of all time (and got away with it) I loved watching you play Brawl and the choices you make. I was truly hype, congratulations dude!

Chef: You were a pretty cool dude, glad you could appreciate our 2m2 4u2 team tags. You made a slightly more significant impact on my tournament experience than the other ACT dudes and I just appreciate your demeanour, not to be too weird or anything.

ACT dudes: Cheers for coming down despite issues with housing. Don't wanna put the blame on anyone but perhaps if you planned that out from the get go it would've been easier, but more importantly you probably have a few more legitimate contacts in the VIC community now which should make it less hassle next time! Regardless of that, hope you all had a great time and got a fulfilling experience out of your preferred smash game(s). :)

Phrase: w0w buddy don't diss P:M it's the only thing I can win games in ITS ALL IVE GOT MAN

Silhouette and V : Cheers for being chill people in my brawl pool. Thanks for the full bucket charge V, very kind <3

Sebby: If there is like, something that's the opposite of a learning disability, than that's like wat u have dude. Fast assimiliation of information into the brain, you must have a malleable brain, like aeroplane jelly.

Jamwa: Do it. Ditch Brawl, become the sole Project-M-as-main-game smasher in VIC and get all da pusi

Attila: These shoutouts aren't in order of anything, just when I think of people. And to be honest how could I not have thought to you first? You just did so much though that it is really daunting to write anything to do it justice... I hope that this honest expression of my thoughts does something for you though. Well done x10, so many things we can improve on though, from everyone. I dream of a tight knit single organism level of teamwork from the smash scene, like an army of ants we can all assist with organisation/streams/transport/housing/making the events run.

Atticus: Donkey Kong is my hero. This was the least close set we've had in a long time in Melee though, kind of sucked I have to say.

Epic Citizen L Blaxxon: Despite everyone commenting to me how **** Peach is as well as her cheapness being the main feature I discussed in my essay, I don't really think that had anything to do with it. I haven't played heaps of Peach recently but I know what I can punish with OoS and I know the matchup enough not to lose just because you located the C-stick. You kept grabbing me in this same situation over and over again, and I failed to implement wave dash OoS. Additionally due to lack of buffer, when I was taking hits (as opposed to grabs) on shield, I'd press jump too early, then input shine, resulting in spot dodge. And that's how you got a couple of Dsmash's too. Things I did wrong aside though, the way you kept grabbing me I thought was really good from you and had nothing to do with Peach, you were just ontop of a pattern in my game and you rode it. Good work.

Shoutouts to the "placed even with Timic" crew. Especially Timic. Seems like you're starting to care a little more about the game again dude. Don't be afraid to get passionate, it's worth the heartbreak that will occur sometimes when you lose to Luigi.

Joey: Best caster, sorry for not running with your jokes because I couldn't actually exclaim anything which made it impossible to funny. Honestly shouldn't have casted with my voice that ****ed but whatever. I love your P:M commentary. Laughed sitting at my computer more than I have in a while. Definitely, Any combo of DD/PCG and you cannot be refused a place on the casting, and hopefully if I got my **** together I could join you like old times.

DD: Cheers for coming wiv me on the dual wield food run exodus of Pizza and KFC. Sorry if you were really hanging out for the SSFIV set which you missed the first half of, you seemed real chill about it but I don't buy it. Good to discuss Melee/P:M with you though, you've really picked up on the majority of smash specific technicalities and whatnot. With a little more technical execution practice would be nice to see how well you can do. People currently consider Melbourne as Jigglypuff-Free but after seeing how well you were playing at HoC before your hand incident people are really gonna have to reconsider that.

PCG: Everything was good. You're a natural at casting, take the same informative approach as me except take about 1/4 of the time to actually say it. Always worth talking to.

SurPr15e: Everyone takes you seriously and really respects your contribution to the scene

Juci: You're a massive ****wit for taking the bed on Friday. Eternal grudge mode activated.

Mew2King: You guys have to ****ing understand that this is actually the reason I beat Haikal and even attempted to implement spin to win. This is an excerpt from a brief conversation I had with M2K in February

"up throw fair low % or uair to regrab or uair to upt ilt or uair to uair or uair to bair

you throw up, uair, then stuff

lol
and do tons of uairs"

In retrospect I certainly did not implement Uair enough.

I'm pretty sure this is inappropriate but I have no issue with it + I haven't slept since Sunday.
Had to transcribe an entire Indian song in
freeform timing and commence and complete an essay that I need to get 80% on, was pretty surreal getting everything done actually have to say. The longest I've ever been awake for is just under (or just over?) 70 hours and it's kind of better than getting high but also a lot lot way worse. Instead of feigning responsibility I'm just going to purely blame the overly unstructured ramble that is about to follow on sleep deprivation.
anyway...

IT'S ABOUT TO GET A LITTLE BIT REAL
THIS ONE MIGHT BE A LITTLE TOO HONEST
<-- if you read this with this song on repeat, it will sound less serious, which is good because I am not being too serious, I don't mind being open and just rambling.

I'm a little at odds with what I need to work on in Melee and smash at the moment. See when I joined Brawl, I was quite young and really it was the only thing that I thought about. And with this passion and lack of experience dealing with disapointment I pretty easily pushed myself to 3rd place at my 3rd tournament, and won a couple of tournaments in 2010. Then I started to worry about school as for the first time in my life I wasn't doing well at everything, including smash, and I started to talk myself into this mentality of being friends with the community, and I trained myself to be happy just by being happy, to cope with stress and other bull****. I've never really hit such intense lows since I taught myself that but I definitely lost a lot of competitive spirit and selfishness. I became content with being average in everything just because I came up average a couple of times and wasn't used to it.

In essence, up until this weekend I was still carrying this mindset of "don't put yourself through the effort if you're ok with how you're doing". Now if I was coming from winners maybe it'd be a different story, but vsing SD in losers, as soon as I took it to the 3rd match I pretty much told myself "I don't want to play a 2nd set, that's too hard". Yeah I was still trying, but I can't shake this deep seated self-resignation. And I'm still fine with 2nd even if I resigned myself to it. But I've got <10 hours hands on time with P:M. I realised that if I'd done that to myself in Melee (regardless of whether I'd have ended up winning the set anyway) I probably would've broke down, since I care about the game so much. It's interesting how these mindsets and placebo effects develop, even though I believe it's largely inflicted from home life during high school, I used to consider it my strongest asset during the Brawl days in 2009-early 2011 but I'd say it's my weakest point by far now. I have so many negative placebos I place on myself in smash that it might actually be a form of ***********, I'm not medically educated so it's hard to say. I honestly think I can take a Melee set off any player in Melbourne at this point, I have sufficient tools and you guys do make some mistakes, but I'm severely disadvantaged, not only by the fact that I am still slower/worse than you guys (I can win but I'd still be the underdog) but also the mental hills I'm trying to climb.

The last couple of tournaments, from Miles House onwards, I've been able to justify the results in my head, take something away from the loss (and try to learn during the match too) and be content. But I think this is a dulling of the senses and is a poor approach to life (despite clearly thinking otherwise for a while). I should be complacent about losses I know I didn't have to take and I should put more pressure on myself to actually perform. I've removed all the stress from playing smash, and that's not right. When I see SD's rage after losing in doubles or to Dave, I see someone who is not considering the need to justify a loss or thinking about these kinds of thing. He's going in for the win without being clouded thinking about other things revolving around this game. When he loses and physically throws his hat or something, it's because he's failed. Unlike me he was not thinking of losing as some alternative option that's totally chilled if it happens. And like what's the ****ing point when I still get salty like 10 seconds after the game anyway. I think I should learn to handle the stress, and feed off the stakes, not fear the effect they might have on my dear little heart. I think remaining clear of arrogance is still priority though, even though I fear mentioning that I can probably beat everyone earlier in this ****ty DnM may breach that

With SD going to EVO and also the prospect of Aussie Smash being a fair bit higher in skill than I thought it was on the world scale, I really look forward to improving and taking on a more disciplined attitude. I gotta stress that I really wasn't having any life problems before becoming involved in the smash community, and what happened during my VCE is unrelated. I didn't need smash to escape from anything else; it's just so much ****ing better than anything else. There isn't really anything in life I'd rather do than compete at Smash and be great it, and I'm fortunate enough to study in a field that I'm adept enough in (music) to be able to devote a lot of time to Smash. Although unfortunate that the employment ratio of music is probably lower than that of aspiring competitive gamers...

Some people will realise that reading this is a waste of time and I was just selfishly dumping my thoughts ons Smashboards, some of you might appreciate something to think about/read,
but regardless,
Shoutouts to anyone doing what they love.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah I listened to that with lon lon ranch extended on in the background. It sounded really somber and reflective. :/

It does kinda ring a few bells with me, I hit year 11 and freaked out because up until that point I was a straight A's student and suddenly I was getting Bs and Cs and going "what is this?" Basically I think my biggest worry since then is this whole issue of smarts and intelligence. I kinda got the idea, and I don't know why I developed it, that everyone around me were all way more knowledgeable about everything, that i've been kinda trapped in the dark. I'm jewish, so by the Jewish community I should be considered an adult, but to myself I really don't feel like it, that any decisions I make that seem mature now are just superficial, or that it's just me on autopilot and that I really don't know anything about the intricacies of our world and human decision making. I suspect this came about because of school (but again it doesn't answer my 'why') where the people who were passionate suddenly started excelling in their subjects and I was left behind wondering what was wrong with me. It felt like i'd been working so hard for the past 10 years, suddenly to find myself tired of the race while everyone else ran ahead to the finish line. It really sucked. Still now I feel tired of the repetitive nature of school and its burdens whilst everyone else seems ever-ready for it. I guess my resolve has just kinda been to accept that and try to improve in my own way.

And while we're at it, I should probably explain a little more about myself - this has been a long time coming, even though it's probably longer than it should otherwise be but try to bear with me:

So for the most part, I wouldn't call myself sheltered in growth nor personality - that's not the right word. In fact my growing up has been the opposite of sheltered: Living out in the central aus desert isn't just a culture clash, it can be literally life-threatening. There comes a point where you have to pull yourself back in an environment where every few months a death occurs where you knew the deceased. We went through a guy coming up to our caravan to spear us because we refused his daughter (who was a bit of a bully, but also we didn't really have enough to go around :p) a free dinner the night before to a puppy that died in my arms the first night we got him (he was very sick) to a woman that came to hide in our house after her husband got angry at her.... etc.

With that all said, i've never really gotten over... my innocence? Maybe... probably more like my inner desire to live in my own utopia. Which isn't a stock standard utopia - more just one where everything around me is honest, connected and healthy. I've always had this thing of "being friends with everyone". While I consider myself more socially adept than this with the abilitiy to manipulate how people see me if I so wished, this desire of mine means I would never really dream of doing something like that. It's probably the same reason I can't joke around with people for very long or lead them on a false belief about me - it's just something I can't really stand internally.

But irregardless, there are certainly traits of mine that make this "goal" very difficult to achieve. For one, i'm reasonably certain I have teurets, which means I am always jumping, clicking, whistling, humming, tapping, twitching, etc etc etc. For another, i'm a bit of an airhead and very liable to go off on tangents or zone out entirely. I am also hypersensitive and it doesn't take much for something to begin pricking at me personally even when it isn't meant to be. And finally i'm also slightly paranoid that all the aforementioned traits are alienating some people or that others aren't being honest or just think of me as some crazy guy that I try to hide them or come across as something very different.

Now to pull it into smash - I think this is probably been what i've asked Shaya about so many times. It's the people that shrug me off and push me aside that most make me think they just don't like me, and I realise it's a totally illogical step to make but I do it anyway. It's also hard to interpret much of what people have to say in text and that can lead to miscommunications and my sensitivity coming to the fore. Many of you won't know, but I remember a rather massive argument I had on the Sydney thread some time ago where myself and another who I will not name misconstrued something someone else had said and took it to the extreme. And internally I believe a lot of that was my own personality blowing up the remark to be something it really wasn't, even if I believe the remark could have been made in better taste. Ever since those arguments, it's made me believe no-one really takes me seriously or enjoys my company because I made 'immature' responses to something that wasn't really that big a deal and was on the 'other side' of that argument.

But it's also why kindness means a lot more to me than it might otherwise do to others. I value connection above... well, a lot of things. Something as simple as genuine support and I back you to the ends of the earth. As well as that, that stuff also led me to look at discrepancies between people online and what they're like in person and although it's not necessarily a difference I particularly enjoy, it is something i'm coming to terms with and learning to deal with.

So I think I needed to get that off my chest so I can communicate myself a little more. Half of me typing out this post was due to Splice putting his own analysis up there (though most of it was smash) and also a lot of bottled emotions i've had when it comes to our community since I first joined in mid '11.

So I dunno, I hope you get an idea of where i'm coming from. You should probably be aware that although the real me doesn't really hold grudges for very long, I try to be as close to how I would react in person to stuff said online but that that's also due to my context and everything.

But yeah.... now I feel awkward.

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
I think that song definitely improved the reading experience.
Mindset **** is so intense. I think I can empathise with a bit of your stuff about settling with being content just to deal with stress. I used to make myself pretty crazy but if you try to take everything hard then everything hits you hard and it's not easy to keep going.
Really have no idea what you mean when you use placebo though.
We should totally have hugs and talk, this stuff is so interesting and multi-faceted.
I think the balance is good. We don't want to think about the result during a match, but we want to strive for the best still. Just need to get out of your own way in the important moments. Self talk actually has been helping me lots. I used to get pretty choky, but if I tell myself I can and will execute and to focus on that, the nerves are manageable.

@ Luco Luco , you're far from alone RE school. I'm so sick of uni, but most of my friends are eagerly diving into postgrad.

BUT **** I DON'T WANT TO LOSE TO TIM AGAIN GOD ****ING DAMNIT

Last edited by a moderator:

Splice

Smash Hero
Luco your thoughts about school are ridiculously similar to mine in Year 12
Good luck with it all

Really have no idea what you mean when you use placebo though..
One example is that you know how people often say it's hard for spacies to play a long tournament? When I found out I had to play Dan in singles bracket on Saturday, I wasn't actually that worn out. But I didn't expect to have to play that match that day so I convinced myself I was tired from having to play too much Melee and in my head it was Attila's fault for not putting the entire singles bracket on Sunday. This goes on some weird level that I do try to conciously talk myself OUT of, but still goes on there a bit unchecked... Just decided I was worn out coz it was a long day and I play Falco, when it should be that I have the stamina to be able to play Falco without deteriorating in tech skill, as long as I keep the fluids up.

That's a particularly dickish train of thought, but usually it's just other stuff like position of hands, or things long term thing I've had where I play worse after eating food etc. It gets stupid.

I think pursuit of extra curricular activities in your field can help you feel like a mover 'n' shaker and stay up on uni things. I thought I was hating music but I just realised there is a side to it that I don't care about it.
Hopefully it's the same for you and you haven't been completely turned off of things you once used to enjoy at uni.
Postgrad seems pointless for music so I don't really know anything about it.

Last edited:

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Competitiveness comes and goes. From about 2007 to... like... nowish, I've been happy with going into a set (even with money on the line, sometimes over $500) and not caring if I win or lose. Its a bit of a different scenario tho cuase when I do it I still win 95% of sets. But lately I've really felt a need to have to win and avoid losing. When I was mega drugged this weekend I tried sooooo hard, probs the hardest I can remember just to beat Gerard. If it was like... 6 months ago I doubt I would have even gone to the tourney.

It doesn't necessarily mean I put in more effort, it just means if it looks like I'm not going to win I'd give that little extra effort instead of just going 'meh' and trying to jab through smash attacks or something. Like when I lost to sam at bam 2k12 and ZXV at reloaded in 11. Both those times I just went 'urrrgh *** I have to do so much more to win everything now... *** this' *enter cbf mode* and lost to dekar at bam who I'd already beaten easily in winners and at reloaded I lost to kas who I also should always beat.

Going back even further to robocop 2k10 when m2k came, I went full cbf mode against redact cause if I won I'd have vs'd m2k, so I just cbf'd through losers and ended up 4th after quitting half way thru the 2nd match with Cao. If I think about it, out of the 40ish tourneys I've been to I've won about 30 and only 2-3 of those I've won from losers bracket, but I've been in losers bracket about 10-12 times at least so that 'well thats good enough I guess' mindset has always been around for me.

Having said that I'm a very competitive person and the entire reason I play melee is because I wanted to beat X person at some point. I haven't practiced it in years but I still show up to tourneys/meets to see people and also because I like to win and usually do. Thers always an element of stress/choking and some show it more than others. But remember that no one can ever play at 100% so you just have to accept that what you did was the best you could do at that time. Even the best player can't always win on the day.

It is a game and if you're not having fun then you're not doing it right.

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
One example is that you know how people often say it's hard for spacies to play a long tournament? When I found out I had to play Dan in singles bracket on Saturday, I wasn't actually that worn out. But I didn't expect to have to play that match that day so I convinced myself I was tired from having to play too much Melee and in my head it was Attila's fault for not putting the entire singles bracket on Sunday. This goes on some weird level that I do try to conciously talk myself OUT of, but still goes on there a bit unchecked... Just decided I was worn out coz it was a long day and I play Falco, when it should be that I have the stamina to be able to play Falco without deteriorating in tech skill, as long as I keep the fluids up.

That's a particularly ****ish train of thought, but usually it's just other stuff like position of hands, or things long term thing I've had where I play worse after eating food etc. It gets ********.

I think pursuit of extra curricular activities in your field can help you feel like a mover 'n' shaker and stay up on uni things. I thought I was hating music but I just realised there is a side to it that I don't care about it.
Hopefully it's the same for you and you haven't been completely turned off of things you once used to enjoy at uni.
Postgrad seems pointless for music so I don't really know anything about it.
Yeah I get you now. I think there's probably a different word that's more specific to that, placebo has heaps of other baggage, not that I can think of it right now.
I'm pretty sure you're just being human with most of this stuff. Realising it is pretty far on the path to managing it. Also, the playing worse after eating is a thing for everyone afaik. The americans talk about it heaps.

I agree about getting involved in uni stuff making uni more fun. But doing that uni stuff makes not uni way less fun. It just took me a while to reconcile my interests. I have gotten to the point where I can do enough with uni to do alright without it being a drag on the more important stuff I want to do. Uni activities are lame.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
You can get very sloppy after eating a big fatty meal like maccas or kfc due to the contents/chemicals etc in it, I noticed I can play a lot better throughout a day if I just sip on water/powerade and have little snacks of hot chips/sausage rolls/pies/packet chips/doritos spread throughout the day.

Splice

Smash Hero
It is a game and if you're not having fun then you're not doing it right.
I appreciate your comments on the matter! Don't get me wrong though, I never stopped having fun with this game apart from a brief period where I quit Brawl and didn't realise I could play Melee. :p

Hughie

Smash Lad
Really good 4000 word post man. I came last in PM cause after you I played against a link that spammed everything and I had no idea what to even do. I think that was slam dunk, ggs to you, but I SWEAR I'LL IMPROVE MY PLACING NEXT TIME. WATCH ME

Also, I just want to say pretty much the same thing as splice said. This scene is awesome. I forgot how much I loved it, with my 7 month hiatus due to a broken arm, my America trip and a death of someone really quite close to me. The thing about this scene is that I feel apart of it, which is something that I've never really felt before, and it's made me feel great about myself. Especially at 15, cause I can't really do much, ya know? I'm really looking foward to future events, and seeing all you guys again.

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
can't believe i forgot these 2 ppl in my shoutouts
billy: best shoutouts i've ever seen whoamygawd
matt g: it's going to be sick seeing you vs sebby in the grand finals of bam 2015

go and read splice's essay at the end of his shoutouts
i really like the message of "if you lose, you SHOULD get pissed because you SHOULD believe you can win"
for some reason it reminds me dark knight rises lol, when bruce climbs out of the pit without the rope
it's the fear of losing that makes us put in that extra effort
i didn't wanna **** up those edgeguards coz i was scared to lose (momentum so important!!!) and i believe i can and should win, and I'd be annoyed if i lost (a different attitude to previous tournaments, as somehow magically noticed by billy)

tl;dr: NEVER be content with a loss, i'd say the majority of seb's sick improvement comes from him truly believing that he can win against most if not all opponents, and being pissed off when he loses
also come to bus' house of chills

this is like #ausmash storytime but on the boards instead of irc, lool

just watched randall save sd against redact, lmaoooooo

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
splice's post was only the executive summary of his actual shoutouts, which are still to come

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
Wow wtf smashboards just got deep.

@billy great post, you may think its a little introspective, but I find verbalising or putting pen to paper to articulate your feelings is often the best way to understand them and also their roots. A lot of people grapple with life things, and smash tends to be a lens which intensifies certain characteristics of people and their emotional state. I truly believe smash, and games in general, reveal a lot about people and it's a great opportunity to learn more about yourself. Hopefully it's a positive medium for you and personal growth in general.

As far as mindset goes I think getting accustomed to winning is the most dangerous thing you can do. After taking bam2k12 I went on a 2 year tear and really believed I should never lose a game to anyone in Australia, in short I got complacent. Losing to Dekar at SS was the best possible thing for me, in terms of getting back the hunger. But then I started winning again and fell into the same trap. If anything losing this time out has reignited my love for melee, so thanks to Dekar for that. Although you gunna get rekt now.

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
you think that's all i got? i didn't even buy you a drink or get out the sunnies

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think rivalries is the spice to make any game worth continuing with. Without it we get complacent (as Sam says), then we [eventually] lose and we're dealt with two options, give up or fight harder. As long as you're happy, or as long as you can find happiness in getting there, fighting harder is just the right mindset to go with no matter if you care about winning or not. Billy, I think you can find the right attitude that feels the best for you without forcing stress on yourself, it's all about how you logically deduce growth in something you've decided to care about.

P.S. Did I take your essay as a hint towards a return to brawl if 1-stock remains a thing? :p

Top Bottom