• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zannabluke

Smash Apprentice
calling out my falcon main friend who stated that falcon is one of the hardest character to play because of rar sh bairs

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
I still cannot believe people are saying Ryu's inputs are complicated. I get he has precise combos but doing dragon punches and QCs isn't hard at all LMAO.

Also Kirby/Sheik being even has been discussed several different times. I personally don't really know enough about the MU or either of those characters so I have no statement.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
:4luigi:

G. Stache G. Stache what is Luigi's 50/50 out of dthrow, and does it still work if your opponent bans Halberd, DIs away and buffers jump?

I've seen some cool dthrow soft nair setups but they only work if you're right at the edge of the stage and you're at a very precise percentage (I have about as much success with Diddy's uthrow uair).

It's quite likely that Luigi does poorly against almost every top or high tier character. He naturally does well against Fox although even pre-patch there was a lot more development to be done on the Fox side of that matchup, with the changes to shields and the nerfs to Luigi it's pretty clear that if the Fox focuses hard on playing safe (what does Luigi do about spaced bair on shield?) and not taking risks then Luigi can't do a lot in this matchup. Mobility is the most important factor in this game and in a matchup where it's so mismatched Fox can really abuse it. It's still a difficult and perhaps frustrating matchup for Fox because if he makes one mistake he can take 40% but post patch he doesn't die for leaving 3 small openings, he has to make a significant enough mistake to get shoryuken'd or edgeguarded. Seems evenish, although if top players continue developing Fox and not so much Luigi then I can see this matchup being pretty rough in a years time.

Luigi vs Falcon might still be good for Luigi (I haven't played this matchup post-patch myself), however Falcon can utilise the same "safe" gameplan as Fox (albeit with a bit less mobility and significantly more safety on shields) to make it hard. Luigi misses the kill confirm in this matchup more than against Fox. He's still capable of edgeguarding, though, and to play this matchup properly that's how he should be looking to get most of his kills.

Luigi did well against Mario and Pika pre-patch. I'm not sure about Pikachu now, except to say that the shield changes help him a lot which is bad for Luigi, and he can probably time Luigi out on a few stages. Mario is probably evenish simply because Luigi outdamages him (both low % combo game and in general). Mario has better mobility, better smashes and this is one of the few matchups where Mario's kit is decent at edgeguarding, but none of these qualities are really abusable, and to convincingly win the Luigi matchup you need to be able to abuse his weaknesses.

Also this was never really proven, but I think pre-patch Luigi beat Ryu. He doesn't anymore.

If you look at the other characters in the top 25, you'd struggle to find matchups Luigi wins.

:4sheik: won prepatch
:4zss: won prepatch
:4sonic: this probably isn't too bad but I expect it may go to time rather frequently, Luigi can't catch a sonic with the lead
:rosalina: won prepatch, I'd rather play Ness in this matchup now, it is that bad
:4ness: safe on shield aerials + Luigi has no answer to PKT, also comparable (admittedly weaker) grab game
:4diddy: this matchup is probably also not too bad, although Diddy likes the shield changes and has less of a hard time killing
:4ryu: shield changes
:4metaknight: this matchup should go to time unless the Luigi SDs or something
:4wario: I... don't know, actually. Wario should probably play keepaway and charge waft, a recovering Luigi = free waft. No kill confirm hurts in this matchup. Usmash and fireballs are fun, but they would be more fun if Luigi was able to actually force Wario to approach.
:4greninja: safety on shields + mobility + projectile shutting down short hop game
:4villagerf: same (- mobility)
:4yoshi: Yoshi sucks but how do you kill him?
:4myfriends: disjoint + safety on shield + free edgeguards (also good grab game)
:4pit: this matchup seems very slow, disjoint + arrows (not hugely safe on shield though, maybe not that bad for L)
:4olimar: I dunno
:4rob: won prepatch, added safety is nice.
:4lucario: this is like "lucario beats sheik i swear" x100 except actually realistic given how Luigi has to fish for kills when his opponent is at high percents
:4megaman: won prepatch
:4marth: this is a lower mid tier character and Luigi still doesn't win (disjoint + safety on shield + EDGEGUARDING), the only reason Luigi won pre patch was because he could kill stupid early off a grab.

I haven't even thought about these guys, but I'd imagine at least some of these matchups are bad for Luigi:
:4robinf::4wiifit::4tlink::4pacman::4miigun::4lucas::4feroy::4littlemac::4samus:

Wow, that is a lot of not-good matchups. Yes, if Luigi gets in he can blow all of them up for an impressive amount of damage, but that's not enough to turn these matchups into his favour. Against a lot of these characters he shouldn't be getting in at all. Pre-patch Luigi had a lot of exploitable weaknesses, and his huge reward was the only thing carrying him through a lot of these matchups.

:4metaknight:~

MK mains saying they lose to Sheik isn't special, everybody (ZSS?) loses to Sheik when Sheik is played perfectly. At the current level of our top players MK goes pretty even with Sheik, and that is far more valuable to discuss than optimal Sheik's perfect matchup spread.

:4ness:

Also while I'm here have some matchup spreads for the characters I dual main. This is partially a response to the trend of people putting Ness outside the top ten. Popular opinion on a character's viability is heavily swayed by recent results and all it takes is FOW or Shaky to show up to a big tournament for people to argue he's top 5 again. The same thing goes for most characters, currently Fox is being underrated a little (people putting him between 7th-9th) because no Fox mains have done anything recently. If Komokiri or ESAM show up to Genesis 3 in a big way the question will once again be "Is Sonic/Pika top 3?" (the answers are "maybe" and "no" respectively). I think both of these matchup spreads are spreads belonging to top tiers.

no experience/unsure (first 3 are close to even, rest are Ness's favour): :4megaman::4olimar::4lucas::4zelda::4pacman::4duckhunt::4miigun::4miisword:

-2: :rosalina::4sheik:
-1: :4sonic::4pit::4metaknight:
±0: :4mario::4lucario::4diddy::4myfriends::4villager::4ryu::4drmario::4zss:
+1: :4fox::4greninja::4littlemac::4link::4luigi::4marth::4peach::4pikachu::4wiifit::4yoshi::4gaw::4mewtwo::4tlink::4wario::4lucina::4robinm::4miibrawl::4palutena::4feroy::4falco::4falcon:
+2: :4rob::4dedede::4dk::4charizard::4bowser::4kirby::4ganondorf::4bowserjr::4samus::4shulk:
+3: :4jigglypuff:

Also worth noting that I'm the outlier for thinking ZSS is even, almost every other Ness+ZSS thinks it's Ness's favour and if that's the case it's pretty significant.

:4diddy:
No experience/unsure (imo all varying degrees of advantage, apparently we shut down Peach?): :4megaman::4peach::4duckhunt::4miigun::4miisword::4lucas:

-2: :rosalina:
-1: :4sheik::4fox::4villagerf::4mario:
±0: :4pikachu::4ness::4metaknight::4littlemac::4pit::4pacman::4olimar::4sonic:
+1: :4zss::4falcon::4wario::4luigi::4dedede::4rob::4wiifit::4dk::4greninja::4myfriends::4link::4marth::4lucina::4palutena::4robinf::4drmario::4tlink::4gaw::4falco::4feroy::4miibrawl::4ryu::4lucario::4yoshi:
+2: :4kirby::4mewtwo::4bowser::4charizard::4bowserjr::4shulk::4ganondorf::4samus::4zelda:

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
All I will say about Luigi is that watching Boss achieve his kills through mixups and trickery is infinitely more satisfying that Down Throw -> Cyclone.

I don't care how much worse Luigi is, he's just a better conceived character now.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I still cannot believe people are saying Ryu's inputs are complicated. I get he has precise combos but doing dragon punches and QCs isn't hard at all LMAO.

Also Kirby/Sheik being even has been discussed several different times. I personally don't really know enough about the MU or either of those characters so I have no statement.
It's hard for people who've never played Street Fighter. It took me a while to be able to consistently do Shakunetsu Hadoken without falling off the stage. Of course this was all on the 3DS.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I don't really think Ness beats Greninja especially with the new safety he has on shield now, I've played the MU a lot of times and it always felt even to me.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
SF inputs are harder to do on an analog stick + decently hard to do quickly to combo from u-tilt/d-tilt. Everything is super easy in training mode but harder to apply in a real match.

Like you see trela hadoken instead of srk accidentally when you watch him, it's not that easy under pressure.

Last edited:

Apeirohaon

Smash Apprentice
Haven't seen this mentioned yet.
ESAM and ANTi have both tweeted their top 10s
ANTi has :4sheik::4zss::rosalina::4mario::4sonic::4pikachu::4fox::4diddy::4ryu:(:4ness::4metaknight:)
ESAM has :4sheik::4pikachu:(:rosalina::4mario::4zss:):4fox::4sonic::4ness::4yoshi:(:4ryu::4metaknight:)

misc stuff from comments:
seagull joe says he agrees with anti's list. also says that diddy super struggles with sonic
esam says that diddy loses to everyone in anti's top 10 ("He loses to every other character on this list", "With the patch ZSS got a lot harder, but he def doesn't do poorly vs sheik randomly. Other than that I feel like most are 4:6"). he also says he feels like diddy struggles with ROB

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What's the definition of an 80 20 matchup?

I'm pretty sure ZSS-DK is 80 20. She kills him at 50% and her kits completely shuts his down.

Even without those kill combos this MU would still be really bad for DK. Spaced grabs have insane reward and beat everything he has except a pre-emptive rar or shad over it. If spaced it's also unpunishable on whiff unless he committed to one of those two aforementioned options.

He struggles to deal with paralyser because pretty much any action he takes to deal with it is a free grab. It also hits him if he's on the ledge. Pretty much any time he's in the air his landing is a free grab, which you can kill off at like 50.

Theoretically DK can kill her off three grabs, but it's hard to shield grab her because she normally has frame adv on block and it's hard to pivot grab her because of her speed and disjoints.

Easily a viable pocket to counter DKs without too much investment. That's an 80 20 to me.

/rant

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Her even MUs if I remember correctly are:
:4sheik:heeheee:4mario::4sonic::4zss: maybe :4metaknight::4diddy::4ryu:

I don't know if :4lucario::4kirby: are still considered even either
I still think that at the top, Lucario may beat Sheik. Especially in these times where we see Sheik struggling to kill at the very top.

See, I imagine it goes like this - Sheik wins the neutral (surprise!), then Lucario does aura things. Then they both fish for kill confirms.

For example: ZeRo vs Day(?), where ZeRo switches to Diddy after he loses a close game one. IDK... it looks even to me so far. Anyone else?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
(Diddy matchup spread)
Pazx said:
+1: :4zss::4falcon::4wario::4luigi::4dedede::4rob::4wiifit::4dk::4greninja::4myfriends::4link::4marth::4lucina::4palutena::4robinf::4drmario::4tlink::4gaw::4falco::4feroy::4miibrawl::4ryu::4lucario::4yoshi:
+2: :4kirby::4mewtwo::4bowser::4charizard::4bowserjr::4shulk::4ganondorf::4samus::4zelda:
Luigi, Mario and Doc are likely even (Mario was probably disadvantageous last patch but not anymore).
Luigi's fireballs still shut down bananas, and he has faster close quarter options than diddy while also being able to kill diddy when he recovers (reading side-b and using bair, or just auto-gimping up-b with down-b).
Mario was probably disadvantageous last patch but shield safety makes it a lot harder for him to grab Diddy. I'd actually more likely tip it in Diddy's favour tbh.
Doc has similar strengths to mario in the matchup (certainly not different enough to separate them by 2 points), he just can't really do anything about Diddy recovering high (though he auto-gimps up-b with down-b like Luigi does)

Yoshi might be +2, Yoshi just has a lot of trouble killing (diddy can sit in shield and punish anything with bananas) and gets walled out by fairs.

As for Sheik vs Lucario, it's in Sheik's favour. Lucario can't do anything till like 90% (frame data too bad and he just gets combo'd across the stage), and at that point needles start popping him up so lucario can't ever land. There's some variance in the matchup if Sheik misses a couple of 50/50's in a row and Lucario lives above the d-throw setup threshold, but that doesn't happen often and sheik can still find ways to force lucario off stage and pick him off.
Diddy vs Lucario is just a lot easier (don't need as much matchup experience + better matchup for Diddy), so it's understandable Zero would switch off Sheik.

Last edited:

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
I still think that at the top, Lucario may beat Sheik. Especially in these times where we see Sheik struggling to kill at the very top.

See, I imagine it goes like this - Sheik wins the neutral (surprise!), then Lucario does aura things. Then they both fish for kill confirms.

For example: ZeRo vs Day(?), where ZeRo switches to Diddy after he loses a close game one. IDK... it looks even to me so far. Anyone else?
The theory is certainly there, but this might actually have more to do with ZeRo than it does with Sheik. Lucario (like Ness) is a character that ZeRo seems to have some pretty random struggles against. Also, remember the time Kamicario beat him so (seemingly) badly in a friendly that he refused to let anyone upload the games to youtube? That was fun.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Luigi's fireballs still shut down bananas
This is not how Diddys banana game works. Why should it matter that fireballs beat bananas? Diddy won't just mindlessly throw it into the fireball. You rarely just throw banana in neutral on the off chance from that distance.

and he has faster close quarter options than diddy while also being able to kill diddy when he recovers (reading side-b and using bair, or just auto-gimping up-b with down-b).
Everyone can read a badly done sideB. I actually think Diddy Kongs recovery is not really gimpable on most stages. Diddy Kong can always just recover to the other ledge if you're waiting for him.

Mario was probably disadvantageous last patch but shield safety makes it a lot harder for him to grab Diddy. I'd actually more likely tip it in Diddy's favour tbh.
The Patch hurt Diddy a lot more because a lot aerials on shield are now banane safe.

Yoshi might be +2, Yoshi just has a lot of trouble killing (diddy can sit in shield and punish anything with bananas) and gets walled out by fairs.
Right now I'd say Diddy : Yoshi is +2. The actual ratio might be +1 but Yoshis Metagame is not on that level.
But: Diddy cannot punish a spaced fair with banana anymore. Shield Stun increased helped out on this one.

I think Diddy is a bit underrated but I'm overall missing a lot of stuff Diddy can do that almost no one is doing. I think Diddy Kong can get far better than people are showing off atm.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Alot of smash players never touched a SF game so it makes sense.
And then there are those of us who have played Street Fighter and other fighting games and still have trouble doing the inputs in Smash. It's a confusing muscle memory thing. The inputs are close, but the subtle differences and the way they get in the way of how I'm used to moving in Smash make it annoying. It's just one of those things people need to practice. It really only matters if you play Ryu, anyway.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Falcon is incredibly easy. Only prepatch Diddy and Luigi were anywhere near his level of simplicity.
I'd argue against that since ease of use is very subjective. Exemple: I cannot understand how to use Villager at all, Greninja is fairly straightforward, and Fox is disgustingly easy to use. That's all on me. Now, what about the millions of other players? At the same time, say Captain Falcon is fairly simple and can dominate pools to about winners round 3, but after that, everything falls apart. The level of aggression and pressure you need to exert with a hyper-aggressive play style and the risks you need to take and know when to take like Fatality does is not a simple feat. It's like learning to control a drag racer on a circuit and not a straight line. Similarly, learning to play a walking arsenal like Link, Toon Link, Villager, and Mega Man is much more difficult than cheesing with lag and lesser skilled players. At the same time, it's all up to the player e.g. for some, hyper-aggression is pure instinct and natural reflexes, but for others, it's a learned play style.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The Patch hurt Diddy a lot more because a lot aerials on shield are now banane safe.
Nah this patch is amazing for Diddy, you should hear Zero go on about how much he likes playing Diddy now because all of his aggressive options are far safer so the character's mixup potential is a lot better.

Yea it's specifically harder for Diddy to punish stuff with bananas OoS, but a lot of the time it's still possible, the window pre-patch was just that big that it's still a good enough OoS option to punish a lot of stuff. In return sh fair, landing fair/bair, d-tilt, etc. are all safer, and even just throwing a banana into someone's shield seems to be harder for them to retaliate too.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
That wasn't in the quote from Ghostbone, didn't see it.

Also yea she gets shut down pretty hard. Diddy just has a good response to everything in that MU and bananas are lol.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Not targeted at you specifically, but what is actually keeping Olimar below the likes of Ike/Pit/Greninja? This seems to be a popular perception since I never see him listed among the low high tiers/barely solo viable crew anymore.

I know he struggles a lot with Sheik, but to my knowledge the rest of his top tier spread is pretty good. From what I've seen, he has even-ish or slightly advantageous matchups versus Diddy Kong, Rosalina, and Pikachu. I also can't see him losing horribly to ZSS, Ness or Sonic, though I'm not sure about Fox, Mario, Ryu, or MK. Is his Sheik matchup just that awful, or does he have other poor matchups that impede his viability?
I know an Olimar player who swears he's violated by rushdown or faster characters - Sheik, Captain Falcon, Fox, that kinda thing. I don't know if that's on-point, but I've been told it's near-impossible for Olimar to set up his gameplan with characters that can just pressure him and beat his tiny spaceman face in.
Although I agree that Olimar has trouble with fast characters, I think him being invalidated by them is a bit of an overstatement. Even though they can rush in and disregard his camping, many of them are fastfallers and are susceptible to Dthrow combos, as well as things like Dthrow -> Fsmash that work specifically for fastfallers. In my opinion, Mario is one of the hardest MUs for Oli because of his frame data, cape, and his weight, fall speed, and Nair that make him less susceptible to Dthrow followups, his reliance on constantly getting in means that he's vulnerable to getting pivot grabbed. Shiek players who play campy with needles are the hardest MU; I feel that more aggressive Shiek players are about the same level of difficulty as Fox/Falcon due to fastfaller combos.

I think the reason why Olimar isn't really considered a high tier by some people is because he doesn't have any sort of representation or results beyond the regional level. As far as I know, Dabuz generally uses Rosa most of the time and Oli for specific MUs, so I'm not sure if he counts as representation. As far as solo Olimar players go, I consider Myran to be one of the best, taking 5th at StR 2015, but he hasn't gone to any tournaments beyond Florida as far as I know. There are some other Olimar mains that are PR in their regions--Angbad and ImHip in SoCal, Soulimar in NorCal, etc.--but there hasn't been any Olimar player that's making results on a national scale.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Regarding the Sheik vs ZSS matchup, it's pretty hard to pin down. Sheik's rising fair is basically designed to shut down ZSS' long SHFF actions before they even begin and ZSS' dsmash spacing is useless because Sheik similarly SH fairs over that. ZSS has to completely play Sheik's game trying to intercept her SH attempts with well spaced disjoints and possibly fair, and interrupt her ground options with jabs and ftilts. If and when ZSS manages to hit Sheik's shield she can play around it almost as much as Sheik can around hers, minus the tomahawk grabs. Both characters get huge conversions and reset to neutral with relative ease even against each other, however if the other character ends up edgeguarding the other then it's mostly likely ZSS harassing Sheik with flip kick and ledgetrumps / dsmash ledge coverage. It's a matchup where ZSS is fighting a heavy uphill battle in neutral with both characters getting strong conversions and resetting back with relative ease, then ZSS sometimes gets a grab at 50% and Sheik sometimes dies from it so I don't know.

Project Quarantine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ianwit8
Surprised nobody has mentioned another top robin who is in my region (Minnesota), Skorpio. He's 3rd on our PR and one of the consistent top anthers ladder players where he goes by Skorpio95x. I know it's online, but anthers is pretty stacked in general imo. IIRC he said the sheik mu is manageable, but he doesn't think robin wins it.

Also, if sheik is winnable for olimar, what keeps him from solo viability?? Imo he's kinda busted lolol

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Surprised nobody has mentioned another top robin who is in my region (Minnesota), Skorpio. He's 3rd on our PR and one of the consistent top anthers ladder players where he goes by Skorpio95x. I know it's online, but anthers is pretty stacked in general imo. IIRC he said the sheik mu is manageable, but he doesn't think robin wins it.

Also, if sheik is winnable for olimar, what keeps him from solo viability?? Imo he's kinda busted lolol
How is Olimar busted in your opinion?

Green L

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
All I will say about Luigi is that watching Boss achieve his kills through mixups and trickery is infinitely more satisfying that Down Throw -> Cyclone.

I don't care how much worse Luigi is, he's just a better conceived character now.
You act like suddenly realize boss is a skilled player but he's been winning tourneys for months. I can't believe some of you guys cried for nerfs just because a luigi main used their strengths to their advantage. Luigi dropped many places down the tier list because he's much more limited.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
No. He was changed because his design was extremely volatile (and this game is balanced around all levels of play). Nintendo saw this and changed it to be more fair. He's still a really good character, just not as obviously polarized.

Luigi isn't actually that bad at killing. He still has stupidly fast smashes (frame 12 fsmash?????), he's just... really slow.

Last edited:

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
:4luigi:

G. Stache G. Stache what is Luigi's 50/50 out of dthrow, and does it still work if your opponent bans Halberd, DIs away and buffers jump?

I've seen some cool dthrow soft nair setups but they only work if you're right at the edge of the stage and you're at a very precise percentage (I have about as much success with Diddy's uthrow uair).

It's quite likely that Luigi does poorly against almost every top or high tier character. He naturally does well against Fox although even pre-patch there was a lot more development to be done on the Fox side of that matchup, with the changes to shields and the nerfs to Luigi it's pretty clear that if the Fox focuses hard on playing safe (what does Luigi do about spaced bair on shield?) and not taking risks then Luigi can't do a lot in this matchup. Mobility is the most important factor in this game and in a matchup where it's so mismatched Fox can really abuse it. It's still a difficult and perhaps frustrating matchup for Fox because if he makes one mistake he can take 40% but post patch he doesn't die for leaving 3 small openings, he has to make a significant enough mistake to get shoryuken'd or edgeguarded. Seems evenish, although if top players continue developing Fox and not so much Luigi then I can see this matchup being pretty rough in a years time.

Luigi vs Falcon might still be good for Luigi (I haven't played this matchup post-patch myself), however Falcon can utilise the same "safe" gameplan as Fox (albeit with a bit less mobility and significantly more safety on shields) to make it hard. Luigi misses the kill confirm in this matchup more than against Fox. He's still capable of edgeguarding, though, and to play this matchup properly that's how he should be looking to get most of his kills.

Luigi did well against Mario and Pika pre-patch. I'm not sure about Pikachu now, except to say that the shield changes help him a lot which is bad for Luigi, and he can probably time Luigi out on a few stages. Mario is probably evenish simply because Luigi outdamages him (both low % combo game and in general). Mario has better mobility, better smashes and this is one of the few matchups where Mario's kit is decent at edgeguarding, but none of these qualities are really abusable, and to convincingly win the Luigi matchup you need to be able to abuse his weaknesses.

Also this was never really proven, but I think pre-patch Luigi beat Ryu. He doesn't anymore.

If you look at the other characters in the top 25, you'd struggle to find matchups Luigi wins.

:4sheik: won prepatch
:4zss: won prepatch
:4sonic: this probably isn't too bad but I expect it may go to time rather frequently, Luigi can't catch a sonic with the lead
:rosalina: won prepatch, I'd rather play Ness in this matchup now, it is that bad
:4ness: safe on shield aerials + Luigi has no answer to PKT, also comparable (admittedly weaker) grab game
:4diddy: this matchup is probably also not too bad, although Diddy likes the shield changes and has less of a hard time killing
:4ryu: shield changes
:4metaknight: this matchup should go to time unless the Luigi SDs or something
:4wario: I... don't know, actually. Wario should probably play keepaway and charge waft, a recovering Luigi = free waft. No kill confirm hurts in this matchup. Usmash and fireballs are fun, but they would be more fun if Luigi was able to actually force Wario to approach.
:4greninja: safety on shields + mobility + projectile shutting down short hop game
:4villagerf: same (- mobility)
:4yoshi: Yoshi sucks but how do you kill him?
:4myfriends: disjoint + safety on shield + free edgeguards (also good grab game)
:4pit: this matchup seems very slow, disjoint + arrows (not hugely safe on shield though, maybe not that bad for L)
:4olimar: I dunno
:4rob: won prepatch, added safety is nice.
:4lucario: this is like "lucario beats sheik i swear" x100 except actually realistic given how Luigi has to fish for kills when his opponent is at high percents
:4megaman: won prepatch
:4marth: this is a lower mid tier character and Luigi still doesn't win (disjoint + safety on shield + EDGEGUARDING), the only reason Luigi won pre patch was because he could kill stupid early off a grab.

I haven't even thought about these guys, but I'd imagine at least some of these matchups are bad for Luigi:
:4robinf::4wiifit::4tlink::4pacman::4miigun::4lucas::4feroy::4littlemac::4samus:

Wow, that is a lot of not-good matchups. Yes, if Luigi gets in he can blow all of them up for an impressive amount of damage, but that's not enough to turn these matchups into his favour. Against a lot of these characters he shouldn't be getting in at all. Pre-patch Luigi had a lot of exploitable weaknesses, and his huge reward was the only thing carrying him through a lot of these matchups.

:4metaknight:~

MK mains saying they lose to Sheik isn't special, everybody (ZSS?) loses to Sheik when Sheik is played perfectly. At the current level of our top players MK goes pretty even with Sheik, and that is far more valuable to discuss than optimal Sheik's perfect matchup spread.

:4ness:

Also while I'm here have some matchup spreads for the characters I dual main. This is partially a response to the trend of people putting Ness outside the top ten. Popular opinion on a character's viability is heavily swayed by recent results and all it takes is FOW or Shaky to show up to a big tournament for people to argue he's top 5 again. The same thing goes for most characters, currently Fox is being underrated a little (people putting him between 7th-9th) because no Fox mains have done anything recently. If Komokiri or ESAM show up to Genesis 3 in a big way the question will once again be "Is Sonic/Pika top 3?" (the answers are "maybe" and "no" respectively). I think both of these matchup spreads are spreads belonging to top tiers.

no experience/unsure (first 3 are close to even, rest are Ness's favour): :4megaman::4olimar::4lucas::4zelda::4pacman::4duckhunt::4miigun::4miisword:

-2: :rosalina::4sheik:
-1: :4sonic::4pit::4metaknight:
±0: :4mario::4lucario::4diddy::4myfriends::4villager::4ryu::4drmario::4zss:
+1: :4fox::4greninja::4littlemac::4link::4luigi::4marth::4peach::4pikachu::4wiifit::4yoshi::4gaw::4mewtwo::4tlink::4wario::4lucina::4robinm::4miibrawl::4palutena::4feroy::4falco::4falcon:
+2: :4rob::4dedede::4dk::4charizard::4bowser::4kirby::4ganondorf::4bowserjr::4samus::4shulk:

Also worth noting that I'm the outlier for thinking ZSS is even, almost every other Ness+ZSS thinks it's Ness's favour and if that's the case it's pretty significant.

:4diddy:
No experience/unsure (imo all varying degrees of advantage, apparently we shut down Peach?): :4megaman::4peach::4duckhunt::4miigun::4miisword::4lucas:

The 50/50 was d throw into down b. It's not a true combo anymore, but can still catch someone off guard if they weren't expecting it. I have yet to use it out of training (where I've been spending my time getting Luigi practice in.). If imagine it would still be possible to catch the DI since cyclone makes you move faster in air. By buffering jump I'm guessing you mean double jump (maybe)? If that's so, then yes. And banning halberd is probably good for Luigi most of the time anyways lol. It works on any stage, as it had last patch. Just less reliable.

I'm not the best person to answer all the MUs you put, but I can answer them to the best of my ability:

Sheik and Rosalina: definitely always needed a secondary for these two, so then getting even worse surprisingly didn't bother me. Going head to head with these two was and is always a bad idea. So these two MUs getting worse didn't affect us to the degree that some people have been saying.

ZSS and Sonic: both of these we lose (around even with Sonic though) but they're definitely winnable if you play to Luigi's strengths and utilize your tools well. For instance, ZSS has worse frame data and our fireballs clash with paralyzer and we can usually get her to approach. We really just need to play it safe from there and keep her from grabbing us. I'm making it sound a lot simpler than it really is, but that's the gist of it. Sonic is definitely annoying to face, but fireballs are a big help, our cyclone for recovery beats spring gimps, and our disadvantage state is still good. Definitely doable and not as hard as others.

Ness: Lordy, does this character annoy me. Not because he beats Luigi badly, but the things he has just always make me think twice before attempting to make a bold move in neutral. B throw is stupidly strong, d throw is easily DI-able, but if not a Fair string, then Ness goes for Uair. Perfect shielding in this MU is essential for Luigi as his other approaching options aren't exactly prime. It really comes down to 'how early can I get a tech chase into up bor a read into a smash attack before Ness gets to us first. I always felt prepatch that we held the slight advantage since Luigi's had the same quality of good killing options while having a superior adage racking game. Now it's either even or the table has turned. It comes to us having a better damage racking game while Ness can kill more reliably.

Diddy - still in our favor most likely. Diddy has banana, but catching it isn't always the hardest thing to do and our fireball clashes with it. Diddy also has a worse combo game while ours is still insanely strong. Diddy has an easier time killing now, I suppose. But Luigi's kill options still aren't to be trifled with either. One good read is all it takes.

Gonna move onto someone who I have good info on...

Yoshi: if you're only asking how to kill him, Jab into Up B (a very underrated set up) works wonders on yoshi. Still annoying to face, but manageable since yoshi can't really kill well at all until very late

Ike: don't know about the MU too well, but eruption is harder to pull off for an edge guard than you'd like to think. Jump less cyclone + general floatiness = a lot of stall time in the air. If you mean horizontal recovery, Luigi can recover lower than Ike can, so I tend to use that the best I can. I wait on using green missile until fairly low and then I'll let loose. Not sure about the rest of the MU though. Luigi's fireball and Ike's pretty bad neutral could give Luigi some leverage though.

Pika Falcon Mario and Fox: I can't see fox being even, tbh. We have so much to combo him with, and he really has to fish for his kills. Mobility makes it annoying, but not compensating for how much Luigi can do with relative ease. Foxes can only play keep away for so long until they slip and Luigi gets in. It's easily our best MU. Mario might be even (though with simply better combos and damage per hit, I'd say it's more likely Luigi's favor as Mario wants to stay close quarters as well), but pika is still in our favor. When you have even less range than Luigi does (my brother tried to dash grab me with Pika and I catch him first with a standing grab), and a worse CQC game than Luigi, you're not going to have an advantage. Pikas edguarding is annoying, but avoidable if you simply wait to recover because of Luigi's floatiness. Aerials being safe on shield is nice, but that's one thing you have (I guess with ground mobility, you get two) over Luigi while Luigi beats you at CQC, combing in general, and range. This is one MU that a post patch pika may do well in theory, but I seem to never have trouble even post patch. Falcon is an interesting case where a lot of Luigi mains think he wins by a tiny margin, but I think we win. His disadvantage state is utter trash, his throw 'combos' are really easy to simply DI out of. His damage and power paired with mobility force respect. Not to mention his melee-Marth ranged dash grab being. But falcon doesn't have a projectile or reflector, so fireballs make him approach most of the time. That paired with the fact that he's one of the easiest to combo, his recovery being extremely gimpable and worse nuetral I think Luigi has the advantage in this match.

Marth: kill confirms weren't the only reason we won this won. Marth was nerfed heavily in smash 4 to the point where we still win this MU. I know Marth has set ups into kills, but they seem really unreliable (at least in Luigi). Jab into F smash is a perfect example of this. I've escaped it many times while jab into up b seems to work nicely on Marth. So we don't even need to really work hard for kills while Marth needs to get a good read with good spacing. Furthermore, Marths sour spots are now even less safe on shield, and shield breaker got nerfed. So shielding is actually a decent idea against Marth as long as you can perfect shield. Marth I guess can grab us, but has no grab game to speak of. All of this makes me perceive that Marth is actually quite underwhelming against Luigi. The sword definitely helps, but it's still not that hard to get in. Especially considering other Swordies. Though a good Marth may put in an opinion if they'd like. Perhaps the Marths I played against just weren't playing optimally.

The Misc: Tink, Little Mac, and Pac are all annoying, but Pac is the worst out of the three to face since prepatch. Against Mac you can at least cheese him to death and platform camp and Tink is annoying, but once you get power shielding down it becomes a ton more bearable. Only problem being that Tink has a sword waiting for you on the other side of the projectiles. The others aren't actually advantageous against Luigi in my opinion.

Sorry it took so long and sorry for the poor(ish) response. I'm a bit tired and I only wanted to touch up on MUs (or parts of them) that I knew.

You act like suddenly realize boss is a skilled player but he's been winning tourneys for months. I can't believe some of you guys cried for nerfs just because a luigi main used their strengths to their advantage. Luigi dropped many places down the tier list because he's much more limited.
Not this again. Look, it's time for the salt to run dry. You need to settle down, and stop trying to make points when they all lead to 'Luigi shoulda never got nerfed'. Look, if it means so much to you, use Mario with the green color palette, squint a bit, and pretend you're using Luigi. Because that'd be more productive than what you're doing right now.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

this video came out a few days ago (I believe yesterday?) It did a good job oof explaining how D throw to down b. Is now a rock-paper-scissors situation where u have to account for double jump, fast aerial (frame 3), and air dodge. Luigi can do something to counter these options, but It's pretty much a guessing game hence it's a 50/50 kill situation

EDIT: NOBODY saw the video i originally posted. It never happened!

Last edited:

Green L

Smash Apprentice
No. He was changed because his design was extremely volatile (and this game is balanced around all levels of play). Nintendo saw this and changed it to be more fair. He's still a really good character, just not as obviously polarized.
Pre patch luigi had multiple setups he could use. He could setup fireball locks, nair, bair, and dair for KOs. According to the Sm4sh community, it's wrong for a character to be versatile? Someone please educate me why it's wrong for Pre patch luigi to have many combos from his down throw despite his obvious weaknesses to offset his combos but it's ok for the mario/falcon / diddy/ ness/ game and watch to spam grab followups until it stops working? Even every fox main always tries to grab you at low percent for that down throw <fair.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
makes sense Villager has a higher than average skill floor what with all the bizzare and unique moves in her arsenal
Personally, it's just me not syncing with characters like Villager, Link, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and hell, even Diddy. I get what they're doing, but I don't understand what the hell I'm supposed to do to play them effectively. Always been the hit stuff and ask questions later kind of player. Be it straightup rushdown, more boxing orientated, or hit and run, that works for me, but the whole projectile wall, trapping, long-term strategy, and Jigglypuff stuff don't click with me.

As wedl said, we are not doubting anything Boss is capable or incapable of, but we are pointing out how over-tuned (and in some cases, under-tuned) options overshadow the rest of a character's kit. This happened to Diddy, happened to Luigi, and in between games, happened to Fox, Falco, and Meta Knight - maybe even more I'm missing. The fact people suddenly acknowledge that a character has other moves than whatever over-tuned options they have is kind of sad because of how over-tuned they were. Why use anything else, but Diddy's Uair that kills, combos, and acts as a coverage option? Why learn different setups when that one setup is so damn good? Why even attempt to exert more energy than needed? When options are balanced around each other than being all-purpose doombringers, it forces players to use other, equally good options instead of using way too good options because they're just that good. Seeing characters be re-tuned and seeing more of their options being used is not just great for the audience, but for other players too who were tired of dealing with broken, borderline broken, or way too good options.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Pre patch luigi had multiple setups he could use. He could setup fireball locks, nair, bair, and dair for KOs. According to the Sm4sh community, it's wrong for a character to be versatile? Someone please educate me why it's wrong for Pre patch luigi to have many combos from his down throw despite his obvious weaknesses to offset his combos but it's ok for the mario/falcon / diddy/ ness/ game and watch to spam grab followups until it stops working? Even every fox main always tries to grab you at low percent for that down throw <fair.
Seriously. Stop. You've complained about this multiple times already.
This was said literally three posts before yours.

Luigi isn't actually that bad at killing. He still has stupidly fast smashes (frame 12 fsmash?????), he's just... really slow.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
(Diddy matchup spread)

Luigi, Mario and Doc are likely even (Mario was probably disadvantageous last patch but not anymore).
Luigi's fireballs still shut down bananas, and he has faster close quarter options than diddy while also being able to kill diddy when he recovers (reading side-b and using bair, or just auto-gimping up-b with down-b).
Doc has similar strengths to mario in the matchup (certainly not different enough to separate them by 2 points), he just can't really do anything about Diddy recovering high (though he auto-gimps up-b with down-b like Luigi does)

As for Sheik vs Lucario, it's in Sheik's favour. Lucario can't do anything till like 90% (frame data too bad and he just gets combo'd across the stage), and at that point needles start popping him up so lucario can't ever land. There's some variance in the matchup if Sheik misses a couple of 50/50's in a row and Lucario lives above the d-throw setup threshold, but that doesn't happen often and sheik can still find ways to force lucario off stage and pick him off.
Diddy vs Lucario is just a lot easier (don't need as much matchup experience + better matchup for Diddy), so it's understandable Zero would switch off Sheik.
I feel like that goes for Mario and ZSS too (re: landing). Thing is it doesn't happen that way (never so perfectly) at which point they're both looking for their setups. Sheik needs to grab Lucario for her 50/50, and Lucario wants Sheik to come in and run into a big ass aura sphere.

Plus, Lucario isn't Ganon - he's getting combo'd, but not that easily. Offstage, he actually has some options, too.

Green L

Smash Apprentice
I'm not complaining about the Luigi nerfs. I'm pointing out that there are several characters whose gameplan is spam a grab followup first until it stops working. I seriously don't understand why ONLY luigi gets this hate even though most combos in this game come from grabs

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I'm not complaining about the Luigi nerfs. I'm pointing out that there are several characters whose gameplan is spam a grab followup first until it stops working. I seriously don't understand why ONLY luigi gets this hate even though most combos in this game come from grabs
Except Luigi's grab follow-ups lasted a lifetime. ;)

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Because he also had a cast-wise kill confirm from a grab (which could be confirmed into with fireball) with no way to escape unless the Luigi messes up.
Let's look at two other characters who heavily rely on grabs.
ZSS has grab kill confirms also but there are percents where they do not work and ZSS has a very slow and laggy grab to compensate for its strength.
Mario has a lot of throw combos, but he can't really kill directly off of a grab unless it's with a b-throw near the ledge or the odd d-throw > fair.

Luigi had combos stronger than Mario's and a kill confirm that, in the context of his toolkit, was even more ridiculous that ZSS'.

Green L

Smash Apprentice
Because he also had a cast-wise kill confirm from a grab (which could be confirmed into with fireball) with no way to escape unless the Luigi messes up.
Let's look at two other characters who heavily rely on grabs.
ZSS has grab kill confirms also but there are percents where they do not work and ZSS has a very slow and laggy grab to compensate for its strength.
Mario has a lot of throw combos, but he can't really kill directly off of a grab unless it's with a b-throw near the ledge or the odd d-throw > fair.

Luigi had combos stronger than Mario's and a kill confirm that, in the context of his toolkit, was even more ridiculous that ZSS'.
You mention luigi's combo game in a vacuum. You didn't mention how ZSS and Mario dont have his flaws such as his terrible airspeed, lowest traction, easily gimpable recovery. I could go on and on how hard ganon hits but that doesn't make him a good character does it? I'm not saying luigi's combos were very hard but then again most combos in sm4sh aren't that complex either. I don't think down throw < fair is hard as fox or down throw < up air as mario is hard. You think all luigi needed to do was to run up and grab the opponent without reads? You know, run straight at someone, expect them to just stay still at let luigi grab them? There's no difference between reading with a smash attack or a grab. It's hard getting grabs with Luigi considering his flaws. I'm trying to to point out the hypocrisy of complaining about Luigi's easybake combos but many characters also rely on easybake combos but don't have luigi's weaknesses.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I love how We are still letting ourselves be derailed by one guy and his quest for proving that Luigi did not deserve his well earned nerfs. Made sense the first time, since he was nerfed just a day before or so.
Seriously if someone in this thread is arguing with the exact same logic they've been using for a while it's best if you just admit that there's no use in trying to get them to understand

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom