• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Mewtwo - worth using as a secondary main? Worst DLC character? Is the lightness really gamebreaking?
I honestly think Mewtwo is not secondary material. There's so much you need to know (and then be instinctually aware of in a match) with Mewtwo not to get completely wrecked, and he doesn't cover a lot of good matchups. (Although I guess Luigi wouldn't mind tagging out for Rosalina, ROB, and Villager.)

Mewtwo is a character that has value in his scarcity and other players' lack of MU experience. To take maximum advantage of that requires going full low-tier hero.

I don't think he has any competition for worst DLC character. Maybe Roy? Roy kind of sucks.

And really I should put this in my signature because I say it so much, but Mewtwo's overly large hurtbox and missing hitboxes (especially on his grabs) hurt a lot more than his weight. Give me correct animations and I won't ask for anything more.

BSP

Smash Legend
F3 jab for Shulk is still crazy imo. No one with a F3 jab or less has a sword backing up the rest of their moveset, awful startup or not. Shulk wouldn't break the game or anything with a F3 jab, but he'd dominate zoners or anyone non-rushdown IMO.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Robin's smashes are alright

They're not something you can throw out in neutral like the best smashes, but they're decent punishers

Especially post 1.10 patch now that his Upsmash has stupid good range

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think the hitboxes for a number of Shulk's moves should be fixed too. His ftilt, utilt, and dash attack at point blank range is pretty irritating. Ftilt especially should be a reliable option to swat people away but I can't begin to tell you the number of times I've eaten a Smash attack because an ftilt just went right through my opponent when they rushed in and dropped their shield up close.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
WTFFFFF. Mr. R goes MK against dabuz. Smart choice but still rofl
Not surprising. It's more efficient to switch to your best low % ceiling KO character whenever Halberd is chosen.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Dabuz lost by getting stretchered on T&C.

That was hilarious yet heartbreaking.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Something you guys need to remember is that the Japanese tier list is based on Japan's online ladder.

That tier list should be taken as seriously as that tier list that came out that was based on the winning %s of the characters at Anther's.

Characters like Ike that are bottom tier in the list might be there not because Japan thinks they suck but just because nobody plays them so they have little results. Admittedly thinking they suck would be a big reason why people don't play them but w/e.

Does Ike even have a major rep in Japan?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Robin's smashes are alright

They're not something you can throw out in neutral like the best smashes, but they're decent punishers

Especially post 1.10 patch now that his Upsmash has stupid good range
So they're pretty much like WFT's? Before this patch I would have ranked hers as some of the worst because good golly were they awkward. Usmash was especially bad because the hitbox was so damn precise (it was like the tips of her freakin' fingers) that it took an extremely hard read to actually land against good players. Now they're a lot more functional thanks to the bigger hit boxes and extra kill power.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Robin smashes never used to be awkward.
Also about yoshi how legit is egg lay into egg bomb? This is something is see a lot in my local, but raptor doesn't use it at all.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Robin's Smashes are purely punishing and combo-ender tools.

They don't control space. They don't rack damage. They are solely meant to hit you, and hit you hard. Arcthunder -> Fsmash is a guaranteed KO from near center stage at 80%, Dsmash kills on its own around 95%, and the new Usmash kills around 90%, depending on the character.

Which kinda makes sense, due to the durability. If they did things other than punish, the Bronze variants wouldn't be meh.

Last edited:

Tainic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tainic
3DS FC
5327-2155-2373
Robin smashes never used to be awkward.
Also about yoshi how legit is egg lay into egg bomb? This is something is see a lot in my local, but raptor doesn't use it at all.
Aren't you invincible when coming out of the egg ? If that's the case you probably are able to jump before the down b.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Something you guys need to remember is that the Japanese tier list is based on Japan's online ladder.

That tier list should be taken as seriously as that tier list that came out that was based on the winning %s of the characters at Anther's.

Characters like Ike that are bottom tier in the list might be there not because Japan thinks they suck but just because nobody plays them so they have little results. Admittedly thinking they suck would be a big reason why people don't play them but w/e.

Does Ike even have a major rep in Japan?
Back in 3DS days, there was one good Ike named Geri but I haven't heard about him ever since Wii U launch.

Last edited:

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Fatality has already missed knee follow ups off falling uair twice just because he was afraid of trading with fair. Can't afford that hesitation

Edit: Yeah after that first stock ZeRo was just so far in his head :(

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So they're pretty much like WFT's? Before this patch I would have ranked hers as some of the worst because good golly were they awkward. Usmash was especially bad because the hitbox was so damn precise (it was like the tips of her freakin' fingers) that it took an extremely hard read to actually land against good players. Now they're a lot more functional thanks to the bigger hit boxes and extra kill power.
I kinda feel like Palutena's in a similar predicament.

Her smashes are exceptionally strong, especially if you hit at the base, but the tip invariably has a pretty intense sourspot, the range is average at best (except for u-smash) and the frame data is universally terrible. For a character as relatively flimsy as Palutena, who doesn't have the virtue of a reliable kill setup outside of her grab or a decent chance to capitalise on an opening due to the time it takes to land any of her smashes, it just seems an unnecessary complication.

The issue becomes relatively trivialised with customs, where Super Speed and Lightweight can work approach setups with ease, but the fact that she has to chase down the opponent and rely on a hard read for any kind of efficacy just feels like you have to play ping-pong blindfolded with no arms. You have to just haphazardly fish for a kill and hope it works. As a character that essentially relies on customs to be in any way viable, she is gonna have a very rocky road ahead of her.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I WARNED YOU ABOUT DELFINO BRAH

But seriously, don't take ZSSamus to Delfino

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Honestly the only thing I could think during that set was "if Pikachu was bigger this wouldn't be happening".

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is Zero still being zero?
Pretty much. He absolutely steam rolled Fatality. I really don't even like Falcon as a character but I will admit that it was pretty rough to watch. Although, truth be told, I'm not sure what we're all expecting when Zero mushroom stamped EVO less than a month ago.

Last edited:

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Fatality is now guaranteed top 4! Literally every character left is so hard for Falcon :(

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Is Dabuz still there? And how long till the stream starts again?

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
And who's left in the tournament? And by "soon", what exactly do you mean? 10 minutes or 3 hours?

migul

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0447-6664-6504
And who's left in the tournament? And by "soon", what exactly do you mean? 10 minutes or 3 hours?
Dabuz got 9th. Mr. R and Nairo in losers quarters. Fatality in semis. And Zero/Esam in winner's finals

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
What the ****, picking mk into mk's worst matchup

edit: WHAT HE WINS

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Dabuz got pretty unlucky in this tournament at times. This was an anomaly performance for him, and top 12 is still amazing. Yet I can't help but think there were glimpses of the Melee Peach syndrome in Rosalina - can she really keep up with all these fast top tiers?

Last edited:

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Of course, Smashville is the stage chosen for the first round. AGAIN.

Holy ****, Esam is doing great against ZeRo!

EDIT: Aaaaand Smashville is the counterpick. Esam lost. No questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom