• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Mewtwo vs. Kirby:

Kirby has the edge in close-quarters, and has more than enough raw kill power to take out Mewtwo fairly handily, but Kirby also famously struggles to approach all characters. Mewtwo is faster on the ground, much faster in the air, and is packed with ranged disjoints and a killer projectile. Basically the key to fighting Kirby is to just run away the whole time, landing pot shots and charging Shadow Ball. It's not an exciting fight, but that's the gist of it.

Mewtwo vs. Greninja:

I think one important thing to consider is that Mewtwo shuts down charged Water Shuriken usage pretty easily. Putting aside Confusion being a thing, if Mewtwo has a Shadow Ball charged it basically means that Greninja is forbidden from charging Neutral B because that trade will almost never be in his favor.
Mewtwo gets kicked into space so early. That and Shadow Ball isn't a camping projectile any more than Aura Sphere or Charge Shot. I'm not seeing it, TBH. Y'all don't get combo'd super-hard 'cause of your weight, but still.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I was actually expecting a lot more discussion on Gheb's thoughts on the Yoshi v Fox MU. I've heard before that Yoshi destroys Fox, but -5 honestly seems like something that would invalidate a character. Can Fox really be considered for Top 5-10 with a relevant character like that in the meta? If so isn't likely that Yoshi needs to drop due to theory not holding up against results?
Uh, Gheb was just kidding about putting -5 on Yoshi beating the crap out of Fox like that... right? The matchup isn't that bad either way. Honestly, most of the Yoshi board thinks it's in Fox's favour, while a majority of the Fox board thinks it falls on Yoshi's favor. I myself thought it was even when we started discussing it, now I think it's more in Yoshi's favour but it's nothing undo-able. From Fox's perspective, he needs to do a lot of respecting: Yoshi's egg lay command grab, his air speed letting him go very deep offstage or come back onstage with a rising aerial or something like that, his combo-breaking N-air, his Dash Attack, his jab (my god is his jab ever good) and his u-smash and f-smash.

As Fox, U-throw is really good against Yoshi, you may not get much from it when it comes to combos but it forces him above you and Yoshi's falling speed lets you chase his movement or bait him into commiting to a landing option. Yoshi also needs to respect our jab, it's a great tool to get him off Fox's space. By character design, Fox is really good at baiting and punishing and Yoshi is no exception to this. Fox also has multi-hit aerials that can break Yoshi's armor on his dj, like D-air and F-air.

The reason I think it's in Fox's disadvantage is because Yoshi has really good setups into his KO moves on Fox, wherea's Yoshi's design lets him escape from Fox's setups into his own KO moves. Add in the fact that Fox is a light fastfaller with linear recovery angles and Yoshi is Falcon heavy while being Jiggs mobile in the air (better, in fact), and you have a pretty clear picture of who has an easier time landing the KO. IMO, it's 55:45 on Yoshi's favour, which again is nothing awful.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Pikachu can Fair pressure shields safely thanks to the patch's work on electric attacks and autocancel on the ground. You can do almost nothing against it.
Incorrect. Me and San have worked it out. F-Air is just slightly OoS Jab punishable due to either landing lag from a non-AC F-AIr, or a F-Air that is Auto Cancelled he still has to be in the air due to rising with it.

Don't even try to pull a 65-35. That's close to MK vs Ike back in Brawl.

The MU is nothing like that.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
As a Robin player who has a strong Link player at home, I agree that
Robin can win the :4lucas: matchup, but the player must be cognizant of Lucas' PK Fire. If you don't properly prepare yourself for Lucas' only effective spacing tool on :4robinm:, he'll gain control of the neutral and take you up and down combo town.
I hope you didn't make that pun on purpose, Masko!

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Incorrect. Me and San have worked it out. F-Air is just slightly OoS Jab punishable due to either landing lag from a non-AC F-AIr, or a F-Air that is Auto Cancelled he still has to be in the air due to rising with it.

Don't even try to pull a 65-35. That's close to MK vs Ike back in Brawl.

The MU is nothing like that.
Well if perfectly autocancelled without fast fall Pikachu does have frame advantage on shield drop.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Mewtwo gets kicked into space so early. That and Shadow Ball isn't a camping projectile any more than Aura Sphere or Charge Shot. I'm not seeing it, TBH. Y'all don't get combo'd super-hard 'cause of your weight, but still.
Shadow Ball isn't a camping projectile, but the point isn't to camp with it in the first place. It's that every time you knock Kirby away or get some breathing room (which should be often), you can use that opportunity to charge Shadow Ball and change the dynamic of the neutral game completely. Basically, Mewtwo buys time for Shadow Ball in order to initiate an offense, and then goes back to the evasive game whether it works or not.

In general in all matchups, Mewtwo gains a significant tool in neutral whenever Shadow Ball is fully charged. Sonic's evasiveness is less of a factor when you can catch him on the retreat. Reflector characters have it on their mind at all times, but are wary of the fact that Mewtwo can lob it right back most of the time. Peach goes from being absolutely threatening with her floats to having to worry about Shadow Ball overpowering everything she does.

This is actually something that I find hilarious about people who complain that Mewtwo doesn't have enough throw follow-ups or combo throws. Putting aside the fact that Mewtwo's throws are all above average in terms of overall damage, any distance created by Mewtwo's throws (which is more often than not quite a bit of space) is an opportunity to charge up a Shadow Ball. And as Shaya Shaya has mentioned in the past, having something you can just do to improve your position when your opponent doesn't approach or retaliate can be huge.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
So i'm back with actual high level footage of Wario (Reflex) vs Marth (Mr E)

It's pretty clear from that set that Wario doesn't get shut down by sword users like most people assume. Of course, this doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things because Marth is fairly irrelevant to begin with, but I wanted to make a point.

The thing that most people seem to miss is that characters like Marth and the like struggle to get the KO on Wario. They generally lack KO set ups and, he's small, mobile and heavy on top of that, so advantages they have in neutral are mitigated significantly since they struggle to get that KO.

:026:

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223

It's pretty clear from that set that Wario doesn't get shut down by sword users like most people assume. Of course, this doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things because Marth is fairly irrelevant to begin with, but I wanted to make a point.

The thing that most people seem to miss is that characters like Marth and the like struggle to get the KO on Wario. They generally lack KO set ups and, he's small, mobile and heavy on top of that, so advantages they have in neutral are mitigated significantly since they struggle to get that KO.

Perhaps this is an instance where Lucina's "I don't care" blade could give her an edge.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

While I agree that Marth doesn't completely destroy Wario, this is a very old video from before every Marth patch.

Perhaps this is an instance where Lucina's "I don't care" blade could give her an edge.
Don't.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Oh boy... here we go. Inb4 Slush and all the Barney squad comes in.
I don't really check this thread anymore, like once every few weeks? Gheb vs Yoshi's has gone on so many times in this thread alone it's almost hilarious.

Yoshi's believe -1 for us, Fox mains had it as -3/4 early on in the Diddy era and some have changed to -1 which is good enough I guess, they still appear to think Yoshi's kill set ups or raw kill moves are better and stronger than Fox's.
It usually only feels stronger from our side cause rage and our weight keeps us from dying early to fox since they're too used to Up smashing non-heavies like sheik zss diddy mario Rosalina etc. (actual top tiers basically), while if we were to say get a DownB on fox somehow with our few telegraphed kill moves since we can only kill vertically, they'll most likely die around 70% before factoring in the 19% from downb of course so technically 85-95% from max rage downB?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'll try my hand at making a Mewtwo matchup chart:

35:65: :4sheik:
40:60 (Have tools/stats that make it difficult for Mewtwo to play his game but can still be overcome): :4fox::4littlemac:

45:55 (Either outneutrals but has trouble sealing the deal/very vulnerable when they fail or fundamentally even if not for Mewtwo's weight): :4sonic::4falcon::4ryu::4mario::4pikachu::4pit::4myfriends::4gaw::4zss::4yoshi:

50:50: :4charizard::4dk::rosalina::4bowserjr::4peach::4lucario::4link::4tlink::4rob::4marth::4lucina::4lucas::4ness::4megaman::4wario::4darkpit::4wiifit::4feroy:

55:45 (Fundamentally wins but strengths are not to be underestimated): :4bowser::4robinm::4jigglypuff::4luigi::4zelda::4samus::4falco::4duckhunt:

60:40: :4ganondorf::4dedede::4kirby::4drmario:

Uncertain due to inexperience or pure theorycraft::4diddy::4metaknight::4pacman::4shulk::4palutena:

So basically Mewtwo, like most heavies isn't a character that really beats characters so much as he beats players, but unlike them he doesn't lose fundamentally so much, or at least not as bad.
Link players, including myself think Link beats Mewtwo. Link is good at walling out tall characters, he goes even with Ryu despite Ryu's insane reward. Mewtwo dies much earlier and is even larger.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
On the topic of Pit MUs: Translation of Earth's Comments

"Disadvantageous:

:4sonic:
Probably Pit's worst matchup. You lose the damage race, partially because you can't rack up damage very well against his runaway spin. It does not help that Pit's recovery seems easy to hit Sonic's side-smash ledgeguard on. Tips for playing against him are d-air against approaching spin, walking jab against spin-cancel waiting, punishing unsafe movement with dash-attack and up-smash. That said, you can only really rack up damage unless the opponent messes up. I asked Nairo at F.A.T. about this matchup and he didn't seem to like it either.

:4sheik:
You can't disrupt her strong neutral game so you can only win on reads. You have to do something about KOing her by using throw kills and smashes. It's important to sometimes throw out upperdash arm and pray. I only think it's a slight disadvantage but when actually playing her the matchup does feel hard.

Close to even, but slight disadvantage/annoying:

:4zss:
I thought it was even but new update puts that in question. It's important not to play along with her neutral game.

:4metaknight:
Even in neutral but Pit is easily KO'd by up-air shuttle loop and edgeguard. You can get an early KO is the opponent isn't playing carefully but the MU seems hard against a patient, precise MK.

:4falcon:
One of Pit's Top 3 volatile matchups. You have a slight disadvantage in neutral and control of the game tends to go back and forth, but you can make it up if you get an edgeguard.

:4mario::4luigi::4ryu::4lucario::4dedede: Might also be annoying.

Everything except for :4sonic::4sheik: seem very close to even so if the player can win the MU if they play well.

Personally, I think :4fox::4greninja::4marth::4diddy: are easier matchups."
Okay, wasn't expecting most of those to be like that...

Sonic being our worst? I mean, I guess he's right about how we lose, but by that much?

Sheik being second worst I'm kinda sceptical about, if he's talking about needles at least. Fair we can trade with at least...

ZSS being mostly even (before anyway) is also kinda surprising, and I don't really understand how either.

The rest make sense, though. (Besides Luigi, RIP in pasta.) Pit can pretty much deny Fox and Diddy use of their Uspecials with just grounded arrows, so yeah.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Pit can pretty much deny Fox and Diddy use of their Uspecials with just grounded arrows, so yeah.
I just want to mention that good Foxes and Diddies don't use their Uspecials. Look at Nairo vs ZeRo's Diddy at MLG. I remember noting that he didn't use it once. Even if they are put in a situation where they must, almost every character can do really bad things to their Uspecials. Pit sniping their Uspecials is nothing major.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Everyone really should stop using Esam as the standard for Pikachu and Nairo as the standard for ZSS when no other character except Sheik and Diddy in the form of Zero have similar representation, and when it comes to Zero, everyone almost disregards him as a reference for Diddy because literally everyone accepts Zero is just a really good player. Why can't it be the same for the other two? This is how the conversation always moves after this notion:

"but ZSS does have results and good players elsewhere too"

If you really take a look at results, ZSS is comparable to every other perceived top tier like Sonic and Rosalina or even Mario and Diddy. Sheik averages better than any of them but not by a huge margin anymore.

"well ZSS has really strong theory because of her kill setups and uhh Pikachu he has QA and is hard to hit and and and edgeguards"

The conversation about Pikachu always moves here instantly because everyone acknowledges he has no other results right now, whereas with ZSS there's that one extra turn first. Anyway regarding the imaginary quote, ZSS' setups make up for her passable neutral (for a top tier) and below average frame data (startup and cooldown wise). The setups aren't easy enough to land or get started to be a sufficient reason to regard her as a top 2 character. Play the character yourself and realize how often you need a sizable read to get her combos or setups started. This is what Nairo does and makes the character look really good, but we shouldn't judge characters based on outreading the opponent, we should instead picture a situation where the opponent is and plays on the same level. I myself only regard ZSS as #2 right now because I'm also biased by Nairo and can't think of anyone else to clearly put there, although based on reproducible results Rosalina and Sonic compete for her spot. What comes to Pikachu, come on. He's good, but there is nothing overwhelming about the character and he undeniably struggles to close off stocks.

tl;dr: just look at what they do with doc and samus
I agree. More representation from true high level players will surely change the tier lists around for the better. I think Sheik and Diddy were lucky to have Zero like ZSS to Nairo and ESAM to Pikachu. I think the three player are just so good that they make these characters even better than they already are.

Just look at the expansion of characters making top ranks since the beginning. Maybe the perceived underwhelming characters can make a louder bang if they got more/better representation.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I just want to mention that good Foxes and Diddies don't use their Uspecials. Look at Nairo vs ZeRo's Diddy at MLG. I remember noting that he didn't use it once. Even if they are put in a situation where they must, almost every character can do really bad things to their Uspecials. Pit sniping their Uspecials is nothing major.
Probably should of said recoveries instead of Uspecials... Not hard to snipe their Fspecials, especially Diddy. Having a no risk, practically free way to gimp 'em after that is good too.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Well if perfectly autocancelled without fast fall Pikachu does have frame advantage on shield drop.
Except Pikachu will never have that off a short hop, he'd still be in the air.

If he rises with it, he's not at a frame advantage. If he does it later than that, he'll incur landing lag.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

If he rises with it, he's not at a frame advantage. If he does it later than that, he'll incur landing lag.
Why do you have to input a frame perfect Fair? Wait a little bit. Even if you do, you have a slight fast fall window (and still a neutral frame advantage with fast fall landing lag).

Ulevo

Smash Master
I agree. More representation from true high level players will surely change the tier lists around for the better. I think Sheik and Diddy were lucky to have Zero like ZSS to Nairo and ESAM to Pikachu. I think the three player are just so good that they make these characters even better than they already are.

Just look at the expansion of characters making top ranks since the beginning. Maybe the perceived underwhelming characters can make a louder bang if they got more/better representation.
This is an extremely flawed perception. These players are representing the character's potential, not exaggerating it.

You should be questioning how good the other characters are if they had the same level of representation, not pretending that this is not how good they actual are.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Shadow Ball isn't a camping projectile, but the point isn't to camp with it in the first place. It's that every time you knock Kirby away or get some breathing room (which should be often), you can use that opportunity to charge Shadow Ball and change the dynamic of the neutral game completely. Basically, Mewtwo buys time for Shadow Ball in order to initiate an offense, and then goes back to the evasive game whether it works or not.

In general in all matchups, Mewtwo gains a significant tool in neutral whenever Shadow Ball is fully charged. Sonic's evasiveness is less of a factor when you can catch him on the retreat. Reflector characters have it on their mind at all times, but are wary of the fact that Mewtwo can lob it right back most of the time. Peach goes from being absolutely threatening with her floats to having to worry about Shadow Ball overpowering everything she does.

This is actually something that I find hilarious about people who complain that Mewtwo doesn't have enough throw follow-ups or combo throws. Putting aside the fact that Mewtwo's throws are all above average in terms of overall damage, any distance created by Mewtwo's throws (which is more often than not quite a bit of space) is an opportunity to charge up a Shadow Ball. And as Shaya Shaya has mentioned in the past, having something you can just do to improve your position when your opponent doesn't approach or retaliate can be huge.
That's reasonable - Shadow Ball is threatening, and while Kirby can copy it, Mewtwo can reflect it. All the same, that doesn't account for how Mewtwo can hit and run easily without giving Kirby a chance to do damage as well. That and (I know this line of thought is tainted) we can duck Shadow Ball, so it's not that easy to throw out in neutral.

Though maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
That's reasonable - Shadow Ball is threatening, and while Kirby can copy it, Mewtwo can reflect it. All the same, that doesn't account for how Mewtwo can hit and run easily without giving Kirby a chance to do damage as well. That and (I know this line of thought is tainted) we can duck Shadow Ball, so it's not that easy to throw out in neutral.

Though maybe I'm misunderstanding something?
Basically very good spacing, and literally hitting while running at times (pivot f-tilts). I'm oversimplifying of course.

Megamang

Smash Lord

What? Pika can time a fair such that he has a frame advantage on shield drop, its definitely not impossible...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
This is the counterargument to the biggest of assumptions on characters; people jump to conclusions about characters until they're entered in tournament play. Beforehand, the people would think the character's bad. But if the character wins a set in a major around the top 16, people will reconsider the character's viability.

Sad but true story.
Not actually that depressing IMO. People like to look at theory and results hand in hand, kind of using one to validate the other. Doc wasn't doing so well so people looked at his frame data and tried to justify why he wasn't doing so well. When doc breaks out and does well, people then find justification for that and say "actually, this character can somewhat handle themselves at a professional level."

Paradigms regarding certain characters changing due to a change in results is actually something I can see the logic behind (because obviously we're human and our theory is bound to be imperfect) and don't find to be particularly wrong, as funny as it is to watch everyone flip around and pick some character out of the dumpster to hold them king of the world in the space of a day.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
A lot of people just seem to think their character auto-wins vs Shulk. Shulk doesn't actually lose that many non-top tier matchups though.

:059:

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
A lot of people just seem to think their character auto-wins vs Shulk. Shulk doesn't actually lose that many non-top tier matchups though.

:059:
That's true. Even though his frame data is trash, he still can win some high tier MUs, but loses to top tiers like sheik and rosalina

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Not actually that depressing IMO. People like to look at theory and results hand in hand, kind of using one to validate the other. Doc wasn't doing so well so people looked at his frame data and tried to justify why he wasn't doing so well. When doc breaks out and does well, people then find justification for that and say "actually, this character can somewhat handle themselves at a professional level."

Paradigms regarding certain characters changing due to a change in results is actually something I can see the logic behind (because obviously we're human and our theory is bound to be imperfect) and don't find to be particularly wrong, as funny as it is to watch everyone flip around and pick some character out of the dumpster to hold them king of the world in the space of a day.
Understandable, but if a character like Doc can certainly make good results and make people think more about him, then people need to also think of other characters like Ganondorf, D3 and Falco, in a different perspective obviously.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Link players, including myself think Link beats Mewtwo. Link is good at walling out tall characters, he goes even with Ryu despite Ryu's insane reward. Mewtwo dies much earlier and is even larger.
Thing is while Link's gameplan is very effective against Ryu who wants to get in very badly since his hadouken just can't compete against Link's projectiles, Mewtwo isn't so keen on mounting an assault. What's more likely to happen is Mewtwo denying your projectiles with confusion and threatening to overpower them with charged shadow balls. Bombs and the Hylian Shield can block them but bombs are easy to reflect if thrown head-on. A distance fight will at best result in a stalemate for Link.

Up close Link hits harder per hit but Mewtwo is faster in both movement and attack speed, and he can combo and juggle Link fairly effectively since his bair has such a big hitbox it can even challenge Link's dair with proper spacing. Then of course there's the matter of Link's recovery which is fairly easily gimped by Mewtwo due to it's predictability.

So it's even because neither side can truly force the other to approach, and can both go toe-to-toe against each with their own advantages.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
What Radical Larry Radical Larry said.

It really adds emphasis to how much attention people pay to results. As far as I can recall, Nairo only pulled Doc against ESAM, though I would say the main reason ESAM lost was not because of Pikachu losing (though that could easily be the case), but rather a case of poor playing skills during the match and matchup unfamiliarity.

It's like the whole "ESAM pulling out Samus at CEO and beating Larry Lurr not because Samus wins against Luigi (could be the case, especially in this patch), but because Larry didn't know the matchup" fiasco all over again.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Understandable, but if a character like Doc can certainly make good results and make people think more about him, then people need to also think of other characters like Ganondorf, D3 and Falco, in a different perspective obviously.
Of course. I only mean to say that characters with mixed results and mixed theory shoot up and down in people's minds based on their results (remember that table someone did ages back of good - poor results / theory?) and that it's an understandable phenomenon. Ideally, everyone should be paying attention to every character. But with a game that has so much depth (the fact we have such a thriving community is a testament to that, hopefully a majority of our members realise just how deep the numbers go when it comes to smash) it makes sense that people get info gaps... And that's where results are meant to fill in the gaps, except they sometimes don't convey what a character's potential is. Probably why so many people are like "look at how amazing my character actually is" and no-one listens because "lol no results".

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
This is an extremely flawed perception. These players are representing the character's potential, not exaggerating it.

You should be questioning how good the other characters are if they had the same level of representation, not pretending that this is not how good they actual are.
That's what I'm saying. If they had better representation you may see better results. I don't know why that's a flawed perception.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
That's what I'm saying. If they had better representation you may see better results. I don't know why that's a flawed perception.
Well if that's what your trying to say then that's stating the obvious. More people playing = more chances of good results

Rizen

Smash Legend
Thing is while Link's gameplan is very effective against Ryu who wants to get in very badly since his hadouken just can't compete against Link's projectiles, Mewtwo isn't so keen on mounting an assault. What's more likely to happen is Mewtwo denying your projectiles with confusion and threatening to overpower them with charged shadow balls. Bombs and the Hylian Shield can block them but bombs are easy to reflect if thrown head-on. A distance fight will at best result in a stalemate for Link.

Up close Link hits harder per hit but Mewtwo is faster in both movement and attack speed, and he can combo and juggle Link fairly effectively since his bair has such a big hitbox it can even challenge Link's dair with proper spacing. Then of course there's the matter of Link's recovery which is fairly easily gimped by Mewtwo due to it's predictability.

So it's even because neither side can truly force the other to approach, and can both go toe-to-toe against each with their own advantages.
Link can outcamp Mewtwo. He has a very good anti reflector game in how his projectile spamming works with SHs. Most reflected projectiles simply miss by going under Link. You reflect boomerang and Link gets to charge an arrow or pull a bomb free. Reflect a bomb and Link can DA to catch it and hit Mewtwo.
At mid range Link wins with disjointed sword attacks and a Zair/grab that's as long as Shulk's Fsmash. Link gets a free Usmash from grabs at lower %s and Uair at higher %s.
Link also has the advantage with platforms due to his low landing lag, versatile projectiles that angle, bombs and Mewtwo's huge hurt box.
Mewtwo wins up close but Link can wall him and effectively fight at mid and long range. Mewtwo's frame data isn't fast enough to really threaten Link. His jab is 1 frame faster than Link's. In the air Link's Bair is faster than any of Mewtwo's aerials, their Nairs are tied, and Link's Zair is faster than Mewtwo's Bair. Except for Dair/Uair Link has less landing lag too.

If you think Link's recovery is predictable you need to play better Links. Link does have a weakness to low angle launches but if he can recover high he can FF air dodge>tether the ledge or continue high safely. He has bomb mix ups and his upB attacks around his body with disjoint.

Link's weight is much better than Mewtwo's too.

Yikarur

Smash Master
This is a logical perception. If we go by this...
Pikachu has really large player base, and only 1 Pikachu worldwide performs really well. This means Pikachu probably isn't Top5 material.

Another extreme example would be Yoshi. A lot of people have rated Yoshi really hype (remember the Top3 times?).
Yoshi has one of the largest player bases of their character, we have about 12 active Yoshis in the german community.
But we have never seen any Yoshi results on a large scale. Going by this Yoshi must be really terrible 8)

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
That's true. Even though his frame data is trash, he still can win some high tier MUs, but loses to top tiers like sheik and rosalina
I'm actually pretty sure Rosalina is Shulk's easiest top tier matchup (depending on who else is in top tier I guess, but even then). His reach lets him kill Luma pretty much on accident, especially in buster, and for a more gimmicky manner of doing so, Smash mode will launch Luma at 0%. And while Luma loves stuffing follow ups on Rosa, Shulk doesn't have a ton to work with in the first place so it doesn't effect him as much. Plus since Rosa isn't a super "let me run in and stuff all your buttons, 'K?" sort of character it gives Shulk the breathing room to play his game. Rosa's silly juggle strings might put it in her favor since Shulk's tall, but I'd put it at -1 at worst.

My personal toughest matchups have been:
:4sheik: Though if she can't gimp/get the 50/50 he lives freaking forever. Needles always keeps her in control though and Shulk hates how quick she is.
:4sonic: I actually beat the one offline Sonic player I've fought at SmashCon but even with Speed/Jump Shulk shouldn't realistically be able to hit Sonic too often. Need more experience here.
:4fox: Significantly easier without the jab lock, but he gets so much damage when he gets in. Shulk appreciates his lack of throw follow ups and somewhat punishable recovery though.
:4rob: More of a personal demon (I think ROB players have knocked me out of at least half of the tournaments I've gone to but other Shulks never seem to complain about him that often), but Gyro is annoying as frick. Probably not so bad as I think though.
:4metaknight:Haven't fought enough to make a real assessment but it sounds awful on paper.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
I'm actually pretty sure Rosalina is Shulk's easiest top tier matchup (depending on who else is in top tier I guess, but even then). His reach lets him kill Luma pretty much on accident, especially in buster, and for a more gimmicky manner of doing so, Smash mode will launch Luma at 0%. And while Luma loves stuffing follow ups on Rosa, Shulk doesn't have a ton to work with in the first place so it doesn't effect him as much. Plus since Rosa isn't a super "let me run in and stuff all your buttons, 'K?" sort of character it gives Shulk the breathing room to play his game. Rosa's silly juggle strings might put it in her favor since Shulk's tall, but I'd put it at -1 at worst.

My personal toughest matchups have been:
:4sheik: Though if she can't gimp/get the 50/50 he lives freaking forever. Needles always keeps her in control though and Shulk hates how quick she is.
:4sonic: I actually beat the one offline Sonic player I've fought at SmashCon but even with Speed/Jump Shulk shouldn't realistically be able to hit Sonic too often. Need more experience here.
:4fox: Significantly easier without the jab lock, but he gets so much damage when he gets in. Shulk appreciates his lack of throw follow ups and somewhat punishable recovery though.
:4rob: More of a personal demon (I think ROB players have knocked me out of at least half of the tournaments I've gone to but other Shulks never seem to complain about him that often), but Gyro is annoying as frick. Probably not so bad as I think though.
:4metaknight:Haven't fought enough to make a real assessment but it sounds awful on paper.

The meta knight MU is doable, but pretty tricky.
I was wrong about Rosa I guess, maybe I don't know the MU well enough

warionumbah2

Smash Master
If its uair combos, every swordsman gets bodied by uair combos, ike and roy falling faster than the others and are heavier makes them easy to ff bair into dtilt lock.

Yes metaknight obliterates himself too.

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
There was a post on the Shulk boards about switching to Shield during MK Uairs. Haven't tried it out, not sure if it lets him fall out or just survive. Either way, something the other swordsmen don't have

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
There was a post on the Shulk boards about switching to Shield during MK Uairs. Haven't tried it out, not sure if it lets him fall out or just survive. Either way, something the other swordsmen don't have
He'll take less KB (less hitstun); yes it would work. But how much time does switching to Shield take? If you get dash attacked and you try then, you probably don't have enough time. We'll have to see footage of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom