• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm talking about something more in-depth; luigi is a pseudo-grappler since he struggles to get in like a grappler, but doesn't rely entirely on grabs for his bnb (he's an amazing CQC fighter), Mewtwo is a big glass cannon (literally); racks up damage well, kills extremely well, has tons of options to use, and is more fragile than jigglypuff, which is a huge kick to the groin. G&W to me is a huge Mixup-based character, with his moves sharing similar startup time and having some instantaneous moves that throws the opponent off. Kirby is extremely similar to luigi in the struggles and strengths area.
Then again it's kind of a matter of context whether Mewtwo is actually more fragile than Jigglypuff. He dies noticeably later off the top because his fall speed is actually decent, and his recovery is somewhat harder and generally more dangerous to try and disrupt. Then on the other hand he's more vulnerable to strings than others of his weight.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
A bit uncertain of Mega Man and Lucas but the former sort of reminded people of his existence at MLG and the latter has surprisingly good hitboxes and frame data (in the form of endlag), plus like 5 actually strong kill throws. I think Lucas would be one of the characters people immediately call high tier if someone really good mained him. Wanted to make this much shorter but oh well ****
Lucas only has 4 (and only 3 kill) throws but I guess they're so good we might make them 5 I guess.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Eh, why the hell not? Hurtboxes, everyone. Hurtboxes.
Okay, I'm surprised that I never noticed the impact of this... Compare these images. What do you notice? Hint: something with their arms...

Yeah, I think because of the new animation for Falco Phantasm and perhaps even Fire Bird, Falco's kind of screwed because of that wing heightening his hurtbox. I'm sure Zinoto learned the timing of Falco Phantasm and Fox Illusion or just knows we, both Falco and Fox players, are so lenient with using our Side Specials to recover, but that wing might be helping Zinoto catch Falco more easily with Diddy's Dtilt like here: https://youtu.be/So7Pb0ee3C4?t=128. It also doesn't help that it only hits for the first half of the move. I understand making it so Falco's wings are spread, but I don't know why they made him tilt like that.

These are Fast Fire Bird and Flying Fox, but they're used because it's easier to see. Same dealio where Falco's wings are a bit higher than Fox's arms. Yeah... hurtboxes... Fun, aren't they?

Also, I have never seen a bird fly or glide straight while tilted like that. Freaking left wing will catch onto something and be torn off as he dashes through like that. Welp, looks like Falco will be the first one-armed fighter in Smash 5. That or he'll be DLC for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; the title of it would be "The Phantasm Pain". Gruesome, ain't it?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Lucas only has 4 (and only 3 kill) throws but I guess they're so good we might make them 5 I guess.
Apparently there's such a thing as a nthrow, or Lucas is somehow killing people with his pummel.

Eh, why the hell not? Hurtboxes, everyone. Hurtboxes.

Also, I have never seen a bird fly or glide straight while tilted like that. Freaking left wing will catch onto something and be torn off as he dashes through like that. Welp, looks like Falco will be the first one-armed fighter in Smash 5. Gruesome, ain't it?
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's... a bird pretending to be a plane.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Link's second hit doesn't true combo. Anybody can block or dodge any next attack you throw out. Link did use to have Jab1-> kill but because all the idiots on youtube found a way to "take advantage of it" with something that was hard to even pull off, he got nerfed. They got rid of Jab1 and any chance he had at an awesome CQ game.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's... a bird pretending to be a plane.
Plot twist: it was the plane that was pretending to be a bird.

Also, this 5 throws typo makes me wonder what if characters had "N-throws".

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I don't know about Link specifically, but I hope people keep in mind that true combos aren't the only things defined as follow-ups. As long as the opponent has a reasonable chance of making the wrong decision after you've set them up, then it's safe to call something a follow-up. While "IF YOU READ THEM JUST RIGHT YOU CAN WARLOCK PUNCH THEM" doesn't mean anything, being able to establish a mixup off of a jab, be it Marth's or Mewtwo's or whatever, has meaning.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Specifically against Link's Jab1, if he tries to cancel it into a followup many characters (I know at least Rosa) can simply spam jump and get away. There's no good followups, read or not, on that sort of counter-play.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Was listing my top 20 some days ago because reasons, and in terms of ordering, 1-4 was easy and felt clear enough (Sheik, ZSS, Rosalina, Sonic), 5-10 I surprisingly felt pretty similarly about (Mario, Diddy, Ryu, Ness, Pikachu, Fox), 11-17 is a bit difficult (MK, Villager, Falcon, Wario, Luigi, Yoshi, Ike) and same with 18-2X (Lucario, ROB, Pits, Peach, Olimar, Greninja, Pac-Man, DK, Mega Man, Lucas). Might as well call the categories something like A1, A2, B1 and B2 respectively. I do feel pretty good about where I'd place those gaps, and I think viability (to realistically place well at majors) stops after these by at least the current outlook. Prettier icon version:

A1: :4sheik: :4zss: :rosalina: :4sonic:
A2: :4mario: :4diddy: :4ryu: :4ness: :4pikachu: :4fox:
B1: :4metaknight: :4villager: :4falcon: :4wario: :4luigi: :4yoshi: :4myfriends:
B2: :4lucario: :4rob: :4pit:/:4darkpit: :4peach: :4olimar: :4greninja: :4pacman: :4dk: :4megaman: :4lucas:

Short explanations for cases that may not be super obvious:

Rosalina is clearly A1 because of her consistent results in both west and Japan and with Luma walling everything and preventing you from going for certain options because of interruption, and I think we've had plenty of time to see now that Rosalina doesn't have that much trouble waiting for the Luma respawns, but if she does get caught chances are the next Luma dies pretty quickly too. Plenty of really good moves and strong kill options. Sonic is probably A1 as well just because of how effectively he can control the pace of the match and how well he can threaten midrange and punish stuff like landings with his speed. Spring also lets him get out of a lot of stuff for free while also giving him the ability to edgeguard some characters without risk.

I still don't see anything special about Pikachu compared to the other characters he's in with, while Ness still has stronger showing and also arguably stronger tools than both Pikachu and Fox. I still think Ryu has to rely too much on landing SRK or dair with too tough of a time doing it on some characters to be really amazing, even if the moves and setups are as "dumb" as anything ZSS and MK have. Mario and Diddy have shown things more consistently than the others and are arguably more developed as well due to certain players using them.

MK barely falls to B1 because, despite the potential of his early kill setups, I think he has to rely too much on them to be quite reliable enough and make the cut. Luigi is somewhat uncertain because I haven't yet had the opportunity to completely experience how much his kill potential suffered, although I see it being Mario level at the moment. I think Yoshi is still largely a case of lacking representation, while Ike almost has too much of it.

Lucario is to B2 tier what ZSS is to A1 or what MK and Wario are to B1. Clutch factor and some good tools to get it done hold him above a certain placing for the foreseeable future. B2 is also full of characters who are clearly good but apparently not good enough to get any considerable results at least often enough (i.e. more than once by now). Pit would probably be called top 10 if Nairo used him exclusively, just seems like a really solid character overall, he simply lacks any particularly reliable kill options. Wish ZSS had his dash attack though, Pit's is just an objectively better version of that (unless the ZSS decides to use dash attacks instead of grabs to punish landings).

A bit uncertain of Mega Man and Lucas but the former sort of reminded people of his existence at MLG and the latter has surprisingly good hitboxes and frame data (in the form of endlag), plus like 5 actually strong kill throws. I think Lucas would be one of the characters people immediately called high tier if someone really good mained him. Wanted to make this much shorter but oh well ****
Speaks as though Ryu is overrated but has him ranked in top ten.

You are an interesting fellow Trifroze. Truly.

Djent

Smash Champion
This isn't specifically about @Trifroze's tier list (which is actually pretty good), but he reminded me of this issue and so I'm going to talk about it anyway:
I'm not confident that :rosalina: can be 3rd best (or even top tier) in a game where :4zss: is #1.

In 1.1.0, her bad MU vs. ZSS wasn't that crippling because :4sheik: still reigned supreme, and Rosa vs. Sheik is actually very doable. Now that ZSS might actually be the best character, and will in any case see more usage thanks to her sizeable buffs, Rosa is in a relatively tough spot. Her hardest MU will become more prevalent and possibly even harder thanks to said buffs. We already saw her losing to ZSS consistently and by wide margins. This really can't bode well for her solo viability.

Plus, it's not like we haven't seen this kind of scenario before. :falco: may have gone near-even with :metaknight:, but with lots of :popo:running around pacing slowly he rarely made it into top 8 at the national level. More recently, there has been talk of some otherwise very solid characters (such as Greninja and Luigi) getting invalidated by 1.1.0 Sheik despite going even-or-better against most other good characters. One really bad MU against a centralizing character is already crippling in many cases, even if that character isn't the outright best. And ZSS is supposedly #1 in the game now...

I would not like to be a solo Rosa main in 1.1.2. I'd much rather main :4diddy: for his evenish Sheik and ZSS MUs, or otherwise pick from a long list of characters who are all-around solid and lose horribly to nobody. I actually think that if the game had just been released now, she'd wind up in a similar predicament as Luigi, with top talent hesitating to commit to her because of one atrocious MU. Fortunately, she already has a legion of great players, so she'll probably continue to be relevant, but top tier? I don't think so.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Trifroze
Is your list results based or theoretical?

I'm asking because you have Lucas, Yoshi, and Luigi too high for this to be anything but a theoretical list, but you use great tournament results as reasoning for Rosa's top tier placement.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Why is ZSS #1 in the game now exactly? Because Nairo just beat ZeRo? He won this one tournament because he basically landed every single grab, but that's not something ZSS can do consistently. It's not that Nairo finally was playing his character right because he always was, it's because his good reads and good fortune were on his side. If Nairo wins the next 10 tourneys over ZeRo, THEN we'll talk about ZSS being the best in the game.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Why is ZSS #1 in the game now exactly? Because Nairo just beat ZeRo? He won this one tournament because he basically landed every single grab, but that's not something ZSS can do consistently. It's not that Nairo finally was playing his character right because he always was, it's because his good reads and good fortune were on his side. If Nairo wins the next 10 tourneys over ZeRo, THEN we'll talk about ZSS being the best in the game.
The talk about Zamus being the best stemmed from a couple of high profile Japanese players claiming as much about a week ago.

Nairo's victory over Zero today can be seen as substantive towards that claim. Not outright confirmatory, but enough to be used as evidence for that argument. Moreso with three two-stocks coming out of the victory. Even moreso with one of those two-stocks involving a zero-death in less than 20 seconds.
And this was without Nairo having to command the stage with Nair.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I think that a lot of people are claiming ZSS is the best character because of the new Sheild mechanics benefitting her significantly. This tourney was the first time Nairo and ZeRo fought competitively using the new shield mechanics and Nairo obliterated him. Japan I believe was also claiming ZSS was the best character a week ago as well due to the new shield mechanics.

Last edited:

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
I think that a lot of people are claiming ZSS is the best character because of the new Sheild mechanics benefitting her significantly. This tourney was the first time Nairo and ZeRo fought competitively using the new shield mechanics and Nairo obliterated him. Japan I believe was also claiming ZSS was the best character a week ago as well due to the new shield mechanics.
Careful using the word "obliterate," over 2 sets, Nairo only won 6-3. Convincing, but not epically

Personally, I think it's still too soon to change the #1 spot. Let's give it another couple tournaments to show results reflect the theoretical.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I'm curious as to why you belive that Pacman is top 15. I agree, but we're running into a lot of discouragement in the Pac-Man boards right now and I would love to see a good argument for his viability.
I won't pretend to be an expert but I have nothing but high praise for the character. He has good frame data, all his gamestates (neutral/adv/disadv) are good, he's an extremely potent zoner who can shut a lot of characters out and his tools are just straight up hard to play against IMO. Hydrant is a nightmare if you don't have a safe 13% move (thank **** for Greninja's Fair is all I can say). Finally his MU spread is good, he definitely doesn't get invalidated by Sheik (proof in Japan that it's very winnable) and I don't know about Rosa, all his MUs look winnable. And thanks mostly to Abadango he has some stellar tournament results. I don't see much going against him to suggest he's not at least top 20. His weaknesses include a lack of reliable kill options, THAT grab, and perhaps an over-reliance on unusual tools. They work right now but it's hard to see if they'll stay strong or end up being gimmicks. This isn't really a "weakness" though, just saying his future is hard to predict.

I agree that top X is somewhat arbitrary, pretty much the whole top half the roster is solid now. Having recounted my list I have a top 14 (lol...) and then a bunch of characters who could feasibly take 15th. I'm on mobile but I'll share it later.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It's because she's basically Sheik but she kills you at 50%

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Eh, what? They're such different characters that I'm not even sure where this statement comes from.

Sheik has the best neutral in the entire game, while ZSS' neutral is generally considered sub-par for a top tier character.
ZSS has an okay-ish projectile but she can't really keep most characters out with it. Sheik has needles.
ZSS has a lot of raw kill power from her down b and up b alone, not even to mention her bair. Sheik isn't so much about power, but kill setups.
Sheik is a very safe character in almost everything she does, including her grab. ZSS has a dash grab with a FAF of 72. Seventy-two.
I suppose that they are both mobile characters, both have good combos of off d-throws, and both have some aerials that are safe on shield but those are just general traits of a top tier character. Their playstyles are barely comparable.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Have people not figured out yet that Mario is nowhere near top 5?

Sheik, ZSS, Sonic, Rosie, Ryu, Diddy and Fox are most certainly better characters than Mario. So if you're as generous as realistically possible you could argue that Mario is 8th but that'd still mean that you're arguing him to be better than Pikachu, Ness, Villager, MK, Yoshi, Luigi ... that's not really in the cards. Mario isn't that good.

I personally doubt that a character that loses to Sheik, ZSS, Sonic, Rosie and Ryu [which may very well be the post-patch top 5] can even be top 10.

:059:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't think Mario's bad, but ehh, I don't care to dispute it so I'll just smile and nod politely.

It saddens me that Pit doesn't even get mentioned in some of these Top Whatever theories, even when most people have agreed he's very solid and has no absolute roadblock matchups. Is the dearth of good Pit representation in the US really that damning?

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
User was warned for this post
no she isnt... like at all... does she have fair strings that go to like 40 percent? does she have no risk high reward neutral? no she does not...

Get Lucas out of that list, swap him with Robin and lets just call that the official 1.1.2 top 20 tier list plz
rob is definetly not that low... he has too many kill options! he is definetly around the 15th ish place but not below some of those characters :/

Last edited by a moderator:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I don't think Mario's bad, but ehh, I don't care to dispute it so I'll just smile and nod politely.

It saddens me that Pit doesn't even get mentioned in some of these Top Whatever theories, even when most people have agreed he's very solid and has no absolute roadblock matchups. Is the dearth of good Pit representation in the US really that damning?
Mario's not bad at all lol.

I agree that he's not as amazing as some people say and certainly isn't top 5 but he's easily top 10. Don't know his MUs inside out but it doesn't seem like he loses to Sheik, and I'm not sure about ZSS or Sonic. I can only say with full confidence that 7 characters are better than him, Ryu is an iffy 8th.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Of course Mario loses to Sheik. Watch Ally vs Komorikiri if you wanna see how the matchup vs Sonic goes. It's no coincidence Komorikiri thinks that Sonic wins solidly ... because he does.

I don't think Mario's bad
Nobody's arguing that ...

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
(I swear if FIXED becomes a new Smash meme...)

Tri Knight Tri Knight So Link's second jab can't be used to send opponents into enough hitstun to where he can actively hit them with a lot of attacks? So the official information in the game about it was wrong despite the developers intending for Link's Jab 1 > Jab 2 > Smash Attack/Spin Attack to work?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I think Mario is a little too basic to be near top 5. His playstyle is rather fixed, and it's hard for him to adapt to tricks that his opponent's playing. It's also kind of easy to gimp him. In all honesty, I say that :4jigglypuff: has a positive matchup against him due to being so safe, and the wall of pain.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Of course Mario loses to Sheik. Watch Ally vs Komorikiri if you wanna see how the matchup vs Sonic goes. It's no coincidence Komorikiri thinks that Sonic wins solidly ... because he does.

Uh...

Komorikiri's Sonic Matchup List said:
Slightly Advantageous 5.2:4.8 ~ 5.4:4.6
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4yoshi::4dk::4gaw::4ness::4metaknight::4pit::4darkpit::4pacman::4wario2::4duckhunt::4lucario::4tlink::4littlemac::4mewtwo::4bowserjr::4wiifit::4dedede::4link::4samus::4lucas::4ryu:
Have we entered that realm where a 5.4:4.6 matchup at worst is considered a "solid win?"

Are 6:4 matchups insurmountable peaks where you might as well give up?

If you have a 7:3 matchup, are you now not only losing but also giving up your first-born child?

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Sonic MU is barely worse than even it would seem.

Anti's performance vs ZeRo doesn't make that MU look bad by any means. Bear in mind due to the Wii Fit use his Mario actually went 2-2 with ZeRo's Sheik.

Perhaps it was a one off but I want to see Anti fight more Sheiks.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Nobody's arguing that ...

You're right. I'm sorry, I jumped the gun on that.

If it helps makes things right, I will rephrase my statement.

I don't think Mario's not that good, but ehh, I don't care to dispute it so I'll just smile and nod politely.

I think Mario is a little too basic to be near top 5. His playstyle is rather fixed, and it's hard for him to adapt to tricks that his opponent's playing. It's also kind of easy to gimp him. In all honesty, I say that :4jigglypuff: has a positive matchup against him due to being so safe, and the wall of pain.
Disagreed. Mario's pretty good at adapting, he's got zoning potential, combo potential, off-stage potential...he's just fundamentally solid.

I agree he's a bit basic in that he doesn't really stand out in any strong way, but he's pretty good at everything as opposed to being average at everything. I don't think he's Top 5, but I wouldn't object to him being Top 10 or, at the weakest, Top 15. Top 15 is stretching it in my opinion, I think there's a decent case to be made for Mario in Top 10.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
You're right. I'm sorry, I jumped the gun on that.

If it helps makes things right, I will rephrase my statement.

I don't think Mario's not that good, but ehh, I don't care to dispute it so I'll just smile and nod politely.

Disagreed. Mario's pretty good at adapting, he's got zoning potential, combo potential, off-stage potential...he's just fundamentally solid.

I agree he's a bit basic in that he doesn't really stand out in any strong way, but he's pretty good at everything as opposed to being average at everything. I don't think he's Top 5, but I wouldn't object to him being Top 10 or, at the weakest, Top 15. Top 15 is stretching it in my opinion, I think there's a decent case to be made for Mario in Top 10.
Ding ding ding.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Jigglypuff really isn't safe at all, and I don't see how she wins against Mario.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom