• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Yeah I can't believe Luigi. Best damage and best frame data hands down.

Hi, I'm Luigi, my frame 2 jab combo does 10% and has enough base knockback for tumble knockback at 0%. All 3 hits of my jab also happen to be lagless.

Hi, I'm Link, and my frame 7 jab combo does 10% and has enough knockback for edge-guard setups. My second hit can lead into KO Moves, D-Tilt and my jab has a lot of range.
Fixed.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Oh, I see what you mean now. Thank you for clarifying!

It might not work on Marth on particular, really wish there was an easy way to test for buffered ADs on D-Throw Fair.

I just know Nairo hit ESam with it like all the time in setplay so I know it exists and is very much a thing. On anyone that's relatively floaty it's not true at all but I think fall speed and whatnot has a lot to do with it.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-brabant-tournament-4-by-byoc-netherlands.421038/#post-20328688

oh look. a tournament won by greninja. basically solo. too bad it doesn't matter because (insert stupid reason).

We know he is good. I actually picked him up for mario bros MUs. The question, and problem, is the same as always: who is he better than, that is usually considered better than him on tier lists? Should he move up from high? Shieldstun changes are definitely beneficial to him (mobility and bad OOS, passed a safety threshold fair and nair), but did he surpass anyone significant? I think yes, but im wondering what everyone thinks.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Ally tried picking up Luigi to ditto Luigi players and used Captain Falcon and maybe Marth against Luigi players before. I don't remember how successful he was, though, and I don't know if he used Meta Knight against Luigi before. In the end, Ally just returns to using Mario who I don't think was ever countered by Luigi. It's just Luigi's grab reward was so skewed compared to Mario and everyone else. Without that, at worse, it's possible that Mario's slightly disadvantaged. It wouldn't really make sense for Mario to lose that hard to Luigi like it wouldn't make sense for Ryu to lose that hard to Ken.
Late reply:

Ally lost to Poke in the Luigi ditto back at EXP. He also tried going ROB in the MU (or was that against V115's ZSS?). But yeah, he eventually goes back to playing Mario.

He said (well, more like ranted) similar thoughts about Luigi's reward of a grab being too silly and braindead, along with rants on ZSS. I do remember that Ontario's players commented saying things about Mario going even with Luigi, and V115 thinks that Mario beats ZSS.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Mega Man vs Fox, imo I think that Fox beats Mega Man 60:40 at least.

Hey ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ , who do you think is the best Fox player in the world currently? I feel like you would be the guy to ask about that, and I'm curious. I think Fox is really good but I haven't seen him dominate in a while (though I've been pretty lax about keeping up with/going to tournaments lately).
Who would you say then is a close second?
As Gheb said, it's Larry. Fact: Larry is the best Smash4 Fox right now, his results show it.

I think NAKAT is really good but he doesn't really main Fox, playing Ness and Pikachu. I'm not sure which "German Foxes" Gheb is referring to, the only ones I can think of are Sodrek and Wusi (EDIT: it was Sodrek). There's SpaceDong in Ontario, who is still young and keeps improving quickly.

In mid-level, just check like 3/4 of the Big House pools matches on Youtube, lmao. There were so many Foxes in that tournament.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's just a mix of personal experience and anecdotal evidence really. I think it's no more than 55/45 for Fox.

~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ who are these german foxes?
Sodrek and Semifer

I think Sodrek in particular is really good. He doesn't get to enter a lot of tourneys but when he does he's almost always top 3. He has a set win against Mr r from a while ago and he's the only Fox player who makes similarly good use of uair as Larry does. I think that's a key in the development of the Fox metagame because that move is just ridiculous. I honestly think he's the 2nd best Fox right now but I might be a bit biased here. I don't really know who else would qualify though.

Edit: wusi is also solid but not as good as the other two. He still adds to the german fox overkill as well.

:059:

Last edited:

TopOfAllWorlds

Smash Apprentice
Bowser Jr. is ****ing ridiculous. He has amazing combos, and thanks to sheik's needles getting nerfed his matchup with her isn't bad. I'd say that rosalina and luma is his only real issue!

Megamang

Smash Lord
Fox is ludicrously good, uair is ridiculous and is one of many of what i dub tradition moves; which would not exist if it werent for their brokenness being part of the allmighty 'character feel'. Fox wouldn't be fox if he couldn't uair slow characters for an entire stock ...

Edit: bowjows mobility is pathetic without kart, learn to deal with it and he's just another abusable heavy. One of the better ones tho

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Bowser Jr. is ****ing ridiculous. He has amazing combos, and thanks to sheik's needles getting nerfed his matchup with her isn't bad. I'd say that rosalina and luma is his only real issue!
I doubt Sheik's Needle Storm nerf was that impactful. Are you sure you're not exaggerating?

TopOfAllWorlds

Smash Apprentice
Fox is ludicrously good, uair is ridiculous and is one of many of what i dub tradition moves; which would not exist if it werent for their brokenness being part of the allmighty 'character feel'. Fox wouldn't be fox if he couldn't uair slow characters for an entire stock ...

Edit: bowjows mobility is pathetic without kart, learn to deal with it and he's just another abusable heavy. One of the better ones tho
Bowjow? xD That's so adorable I might use that some time! I don't know how people "Deal" with the kart because down air has next to no landing lag if you land it and because of the shield lag update you can't punish it any more unless that bowser jr. ****s it up. Jump canceled bowser kart is hard to punish for using it too. It's basicly Project M Ike's old quickdraw except you can combo out of it into anything. Bowser jr. can kill at around 60 to 70% with the bowser kart to up b attack btw.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Kart is nothing like PM QD.

Don't even disgrace that move with such a comparison.

Megamang

Smash Lord
If you die at 60 to kart ya totally blew it, is my point... has tweek done anything recently?

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Bowjow? xD That's so adorable I might use that some time! I don't know how people "Deal" with the kart because down air has next to no landing lag if you land it and because of the shield lag update you can't punish it any more unless that bowser jr. ****s it up. Jump canceled bowser kart is hard to punish for using it too. It's basicly Project M Ike's old quickdraw except you can combo out of it into anything. Bowser jr. can kill at around 60 to 70% with the bowser kart to up b attack btw.
I wanna know.....how does the shield nerf affect his drill attacks?

TopOfAllWorlds

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
I wanna know.....how does the shield nerf affect his drill attacks?
Shield stun. His down air is wasn't safe on shield to begin with but with shield stun his down air is a lot more safe on shield. Either that or everyone I've played after the update has been incompetent. There isn't enough time to grab (That's a five frame animation right) but you can get away a lot easier. I haven't tried it yet but I am willing to bet that his side smash is a lot safer now to because of shield stun? Can anyone confirm this for me?

If you die at 60 to kart ya totally blew it, is my point... has tweek done anything recently?
Not if you main jigglypuff xD. A lot of people i play DI it wrong because their trying to get away from the first hit to avoid an up air haha!

Last edited by a moderator:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
The same way it affects everything else >.>
:glare:......Anyway.......

I'd also like to talk about Greninja. By far a fav character of mine. My ninja needs some work no doubt, but I definitely think he's been overlooked. Character like him often suffer from "pick Sheik" syndrome, where people think that since greninja seems average, you're better off just investing your time in a top tier. Everytime we mention him somebody says: "He's good, but that's about it" and the conversation just.......ends. Hopefully we could get a longer conversation going than that, don't you think?
Also @me!me!me!, I have never heard of that tournament (I live in the USA) how big is it over there? I have no clue. Whether it's huge or not, Istudying is pretty darn good!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
When I say we should consider character strengths instead of weaknesses, I mean we shouldn't just write off characters based on their flaws and how that impacts on their potential viability. Yeah, bad characters will be bad and good characters will be good, I just think it'd make for a more interesting metagame if we tried to expand on what we currently have. We've seen that there is definitely room for improvement even within the mid-tiers (patches help, naturally), and Nairo evidently felt comfortable enough with Doc that "terrible recovery" didn't impact on his performance.

Of course we do need to consider character weaknesses to an equal extent, otherwise we're just creating a made-up metagame of sunshine and rainbows where everybody is a special snowflake and gets a gold star for being so creative. That's equally as counter-productive as just focusing on the absolute top-tiers to the detriment of everything else.

Incidentally, re: Palutena's zoning game and Explosive Flame, I meant the nerf impacts Explosive Flame's potential as a zoning tool. It has no effect on her zoning game otherwise. Autoreticle is a vastly underrated special and probably a better zoning tool anyway; Explosive Flame was just great because you could pressure very well from a distance with it and it forced the opponent to get out of the way or move somewhere else instead of just camping in shield.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Bowser can throw you off completely if he gets any type of momentum. A mixup-based grappler always destroys peeps when they get that opportunity. Same thing with characters that can perform vortex-like situations.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I think Greninja has everything he needs to succeed in this meta.

What he needs most is for some great US player to emerge and start making noise at majors. I fully believe he's capable. He's doing really well in Japan and Europe, in particular I hope his results in Japan continue to improve. I still don't think we have a top level Greninja player but some of his current players have potential, and of course if aMSa ever chooses to focus more on Sm4sh I'm sure he'd pull in some great results.

I can't remember who said this, but I agree: Greninja went from "almost safe" to "safe" with the shieldstun patch. And that's pretty much all he needed.

I see Greninja, Peach, DK, Pac-Man and maybe Ike as about equal, knocking on the door of top 15. Hell, a couple of them could already be there. I haven't done a full top 15 count in a long time and I know I want to reshuffle it. Ryu in, Yoshi and maybe even Luigi out...

I like Greninja's MU spread a lot. His Sheik MU is bad, but I think it's winnable now that we have several safe pokes against her when we previously had zilch, nada, bupkis. Since the patch I've actually seen Greninja win this MU at high level. I don't see her gatekeeping him like she did prepatch and I don't think he has any other MU anywhere near as difficult so, yeah.

Last edited:

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
:glare:......Anyway.......

I'd also like to talk about Greninja. By far a fav character of mine. My ninja needs some work no doubt, but I definitely think he's been overlooked. Character like him often suffer from "pick Sheik" syndrome, where people think that since greninja seems average, you're better off just investing your time in a top tier. Everytime we mention him somebody says: "He's good, but that's about it" and the conversation just.......ends. Hopefully we could get a longer conversation going than that, don't you think?
Also @me!me!me!, I have never heard of that tournament (I live in the USA) how big is it over there? I have no clue. Whether it's huge or not, Istudying is pretty darn good!
I honestly never understood the argument that if you got countered by sheik, you couldn't be high tier. Luigi has always been countered by Sheik, even pre-patch. He was still easily high tier (and some argued that he was top tier). Obviously, he had very polarizing strengths to help power through his weaknesses, but I feel as if getting hit hard by sheik alone can't just automatically kick you out of a high tier placement. That's like saying that since Melee Jigglypuff gets countered by fox, she can't possibly be high tier. In fact, if what Greninja mains are saying is true (Greninja only gets shut down by sheik out of all the characters in high/top tiers), then I don't see why he can't be high tier himself. Possibly low high tier, but he's been getting results and he's honestly pretty damn good if you use him properly (he was my first ever main in smash 4, back when I was really hyped about him. And the shield nerf only helped him)

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
The Sheik MU was a major roadblock but that alone didn't prevent Greninja from being high tier. IMO he's been high tier ever since he got his shurikens back.

I've seen many people in this thread agree that Greninja is high tier right now, it's becoming a common viewpoint.

The question is how high up is he exactly.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I know everyone says he's high tier, I wasn't implying otherwise. I definitely don't see any plausible arguments for him not to be. But I still feel like players don't take him seriously.(if that makes any sense at all?) He's kinda like the Memphis grizzlies back in 2013. They had a play style different then everyone else, and nobody said the grizz where bad, but at the same time everyone kinda slept on them (Pardon the b ball analogy). Hopefully like the grizz, greninja too will bust onto the scene during a major tournament and makes some heads turn :).

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I think Greninja has everything he needs to succeed in this meta.

What he needs most is for some great US player to emerge and start making noise at majors. I fully believe he's capable. He's doing really well in Japan and Europe, in particular I hope his results in Japan continue to improve. I still don't think we have a top level Greninja player but some of his current players have potential, and of course if aMSa ever chooses to focus more on Sm4sh I'm sure he'd pull in some great results.

I can't remember who said this, but I agree: Greninja went from "almost safe" to "safe" with the shieldstun patch. And that's pretty much all he needed.

I see Greninja, Peach, DK, Pac-Man and maybe Ike as about equal, knocking on the door of top 15. Hell, a couple of them could already be there. I haven't done a full top 15 count in a long time and I know I want to reshuffle it. Ryu in, Yoshi and maybe even Luigi out...

I like Greninja's MU spread a lot. His Sheik MU is bad, but I think it's winnable now that we have several safe pokes against her when we previously had zilch, nada, bupkis. Since the patch I've actually seen Greninja win this MU at high level. I don't see her gatekeeping him like she did prepatch and I don't think he has any other MU anywhere near as difficult so, yeah.
I'm curious as to why you belive that Pacman is top 15. I agree, but we're running into a lot of discouragement in the Pac-Man boards right now and I would love to see a good argument for his viability.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Pacman is definitely a fun character to watch. Pac-Man fruit combos are definitely hype. My opinion of him has risen greatly after seeing @Zage play him at Xanadu. I hope I'm not letting it blind me when I say I kinda agree with him on that.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
see here's the issue with putting pac man in top 15. at least all of these:

:4zss::4sheik::4sonic::rosalina::4pikachu::4fox::4villager::4diddy::4metaknight::4villagerf::4mario::4yoshi::4falcon::4wario2::4luigi::4peach::4pit::4olimar:

are better than him. there's a lot of good characters in this game. it's nebulous at best to place a character like pac man, who has invalidating matchups against sheik and rosa without having real counterpick utility in terms of advantageous top tier matchups, in top 15.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero

:4zss::4sheik::4sonic::rosalina::4pikachu::4fox::4villager::4diddy::4metaknight::4villagerf::4mario::4yoshi::4falcon::4wario2::4luigi::4peach::4pit::4olimar:

are better than him. there's a lot of good characters in this game. it's nebulous at best to place a character like pac man, who has invalidating matchups against sheik and rosa without having real counterpick utility in terms of advantageous top tier matchups, in top 15.
He may not be top 15, yet I'm rather certain that he's a better character than :4pit::4darkpit::4olimar:, possibly :4wario2:. IMO, the only mid tier better than him is :4myfriends:.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

how are you gonna put villager on this list twice but forget :4darkpit:? lol. My main bias says he's not as good as the pits, I certainly believe t's close tho.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
PAC man has too many tools to not have counter play against sheik and rosa IMO. But, I have like, no experience with him at all, so what do I know.

But one thing I want to talk about is archetypes (for fun). How would you guys describe Luigi/Kirby? Or Mewtwo?Or heck, even G&W (who has like, disappeared from this thread's memory banks)

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

goes to to show how abitrary top X is isn't it

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss

Is this in order?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
PAC man has too many tools to not have counter play against sheik and rosa IMO. But, I have like, no experience with him at all, so what do I know.

But one thing I want to talk about is archetypes (for fun). How would you guys describe Luigi/Kirby? Or Mewtwo?Or heck, even G&W (who has like, disappeared from this thread's memory banks)
Luigi is a combo character, no doubt. He gets so much damage off of grabs, and many of his aerials combos into each other.

Mewtwo, it's a character that just does what's necessary at the right time. Able to incorporate different playstyles, as it has strong smash attacks, good recovery, and balanced specials. Mewtwo mains are probably the only ones that can get results out of it.

I can't really say anything about G&W or Kirby, despite maining the latter.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The fact that some of you still think rosa and sheik invalidate him makes it hard for me to take you seriously. GP is a laggy move that can't deal with PacMan's zoning tools effectively. It can mess up his traps, but it be becomes a liability when pacman just punishes you in mid range for pressing the button.

As for sheik, she can chase us down for days, but if you watched abadango's performance against nietono and Shu, you would see that hydrants allow us to match her in neutral. She can't launch it without committing to a laggy attack, and jumping over it gives us the opportunity we want to punish her landing. We can also ignore needle camping with the hydrant and z dropped fruit (both absorb needles) and are one of the best characters at ledge guarding her due to our inescapable ledge traps.

That top 15 is way too arbitrary to argue. Antonykun Antonykun said it best.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think his only mediocre Smash is DSmash cause its angle and knockback insofar as the front hit (which is where you'll usually hit with it) aren't that impressive.
Relative to his moveset, Luigi's Down Smash isn't "good". Relative to the cast, it's probably one of the better ones for pure damage, get off me, and low risk. It's frame 6-7 or 14-15, 4 total active frames, takes 29 frames to recover, and only has 37 total frames. Both hits do 14% or 15% and while the front hit doesn't send people at a great angle, the sheer speed, safety, and damage his Down Smash does is just stupid. You'd know who love to have this Down Smash? Mario, Sheik, maybe even Dr. Mario, Marth, Lucina, Roy, Ike, and a bunch more. (Dr.) Mario would love having 37 total frames instead of 43 and do more damage at the cost of having separate hitboxes, 1 more frame of startup, and

Along with Up Smash which, come on, (Dr.) Mario, Luigi, Rosalina, Wario, Peach, and Bowser, so everyone, but Bowser Jr., have partial invincibility. Bowser's is slow, Peach doesn't really cover much area, and Wario's recovers longer, but the rest? (Dr.) Mario, Luigi, and Rosalina? They should be spamming the hell out of that anti-air. Mario and Rosalina players, especially Ally and his Mario, abuse the hell out of Up Smash and Dr. Mario players have been starting to. What about Luigi players, though? There's almost no risk. As of right now, it has the same hit frames and total frames as Dr. Mario meaning it has an extra frame to Mario's Up Smash. Luigi's does 1.68% or 3.68% less, but it's almost the same move and equally as safe. So why not?

Even if D-throw overshadowed a lot of pre-patch Luigi's options as D-throw and Uair did for pre-patch Diddy, with the frame data for his Up and Down Smashes and the fact his Up Smash can be used in the same way as Mario, everyone should have expected Luigi players to abuse the hell out of these moves. Well, with how his D-throw can setup Up and Down Smash, we might be seeing more of them.

Late reply:

Ally lost to Poke in the Luigi ditto back at EXP. He also tried going ROB in the MU (or was that against V115's ZSS?). But yeah, he eventually goes back to playing Mario.

He said (well, more like ranted) similar thoughts about Luigi's reward of a grab being too silly and braindead, along with rants on ZSS. I do remember that Ontario's players commented saying things about Mario going even with Luigi, and V115 thinks that Mario beats ZSS.
I remember that, but I forgot about him using ROB... So, Ally's used at a decent to high level, Captain Falcon, Falco, Luigi, Marth, Meta Knight, ROB, and I believe, Shulk. I would count Lucina, but that was more of a "let's have fun since I'm not going to win against ZeRo." Adding Mario to the mix, Ally's got 7 characters under his belt.

ZSS is at least held back by a very punishable grab. It's high risk and high reward for her unlike Luigi where even if it could be considered high risk, the reward was beyond massive relative to any character even including ZSS, DK, and pre-patch Diddy. Now, Luigi's more like, low risk and medium reward which is fine. That's kind of the same as Sheik, Mario, the Pits?, Diddy, and more.

As for ZSS and V115, I don't know how well V115 plays. Well, I think he is a good player, but I think he makes really silly mistakes at times. I remember a match were he fought BlackTwins's Falco. BlackTwins isn't a Falco player; he's a Mario player. I think V115 SD'd like twice the entire set of Losers Finals and basically gave BlackTwins a victory. MU inexperience or not, SD'ing like that isn't indicative of the players skill if they royally screwed up two times and couldn't make up the massive disadvantage. I don't know enough to say anything about the Mario and ZSS MU, so what's said here is totally holds nothing, but I don't think Mario beats her. Even ignoring that Nairo might be a level above Ally in player skill, the fact that ZSS's advantage is extreme, but checked by a very punishable whiffed grab and that Mario doesn't exactly kill as easily as ZSS and his advantage kind of pales in comparison to her, I can't see how Mario would hold an advantage not matter how slight against ZSS. If anything, V115 might be held back by himself than anything and that at worse, ZSS is even with Mario, but V115's mistakes are making it much worse.

Does Link's second jab have IASA frames or something?
All moves have "IASA" or "FAF"; uselessly padded terms total frames can take care of. The main thing is that some moves, particularly controlled multi-hits like many jab combos, Link's Side Smash, Marth's Dancing Blade, or Shulk's Air Slash, have transition frames which occur earlier than total frames so you can actually hit with those moves and not be screwed, like, if Fox had no transition frames for his jab, it would effectively be the worst jab by a huge margin. Even with its low total frames of 17 for jab 1, it'd be completely useless for trying to do a complete jab combo or a jab mixup unless at higher percents because of jab 1's low knockback and lack of jab 2 to safely confirm a jab mixup.

Short answer: Link's jab has and always will have "IASA" or total frames, but they increased his total frames for jab 1 and jab 2. Link's jab 1 or jab 2 used to have the same total frames as Samus's, 17, but does more base knockback and was disjointed making it much safer than Samus's jab.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Probably because the alt skins of villagers are closer to being their own characters than Dark pit and Pit.
:yeahboi:
Holy crap did you just go there? Dark Pit mains everywhere are probably cutting themselves after reading that.

Also why does anyone think Robin would get nerfed after the shieldstun change? As campy as Sm4sh can get, would it even matter if something is broken if you can only do it 8 times?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Luigi is a combo character, no doubt. He gets so much damage off of grabs, and many of his aerials combos into each other.

Mewtwo, it's a character that just does what's necessary at the right time. Able to incorporate different playstyles, as it has strong smash attacks, good recovery, and balanced specials. Mewtwo mains are probably the only ones that can get results out of it.

I can't really say anything about G&W or Kirby, despite maining the latter.
I'm talking about something more in-depth; luigi is a pseudo-grappler since he struggles to get in like a grappler, but doesn't rely entirely on grabs for his bnb (he's an amazing CQC fighter), Mewtwo is a big glass cannon (literally); racks up damage well, kills extremely well, has tons of options to use, and is more fragile than jigglypuff, which is a huge kick to the groin. G&W to me is a huge Mixup-based character, with his moves sharing similar startup time and having some instantaneous moves that throws the opponent off. Kirby is extremely similar to luigi in the struggles and strengths area.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Was listing my top 20 some days ago because reasons, and in terms of ordering, 1-4 was easy and felt clear enough (Sheik, ZSS, Rosalina, Sonic), 5-10 I surprisingly felt pretty similarly about (Mario, Diddy, Ryu, Ness, Pikachu, Fox), 11-17 is a bit difficult (MK, Villager, Falcon, Wario, Luigi, Yoshi, Ike) and same with 18-2X (Lucario, ROB, Pits, Peach, Olimar, Greninja, Pac-Man, DK, Mega Man, Lucas). Might as well call the categories something like A1, A2, B1 and B2 respectively. I do feel pretty good about where I'd place those gaps, and I think viability (to realistically place well at majors) stops after these by at least the current outlook. Prettier icon version:

A1: :4sheik: :4zss: :rosalina: :4sonic:
A2: :4mario: :4diddy: :4ryu: :4ness: :4pikachu: :4fox:
B1: :4metaknight: :4villager: :4falcon: :4wario: :4luigi: :4yoshi: :4myfriends:
B2: :4lucario: :4rob: :4pit:/:4darkpit: :4peach: :4olimar: :4greninja: :4pacman: :4dk: :4megaman: :4lucas:

Short explanations for cases that may not be super obvious:

Rosalina is clearly A1 because of her consistent results in both west and Japan and with Luma walling everything and preventing you from going for certain options because of interruption, and I think we've had plenty of time to see now that Rosalina doesn't have that much trouble waiting for the Luma respawns, but if she does get caught chances are the next Luma dies pretty quickly too. Plenty of really good moves and strong kill options. Sonic is probably A1 as well just because of how effectively he can control the pace of the match and how well he can threaten midrange and punish stuff like landings with his speed. Spring also lets him get out of a lot of stuff for free while also giving him the ability to edgeguard some characters without risk.

I still don't see anything special about Pikachu compared to the other characters he's in with, while Ness still has stronger showing and also arguably stronger tools than both Pikachu and Fox. I still think Ryu has to rely too much on landing SRK or dair with too tough of a time doing it on some characters to be really amazing, even if the moves and setups are as "dumb" as anything ZSS and MK have. Mario and Diddy have shown things more consistently than the others and are arguably more developed as well due to certain players using them.

MK barely falls to B1 because, despite the potential of his early kill setups, I think he has to rely too much on them to be quite reliable enough and make the cut. Luigi is somewhat uncertain because I haven't yet had the opportunity to completely experience how much his kill potential suffered, although I see it being Mario level at the moment. I think Yoshi is still largely a case of lacking representation, while Ike almost has too much of it.

Lucario is to B2 tier what ZSS is to A1 or what MK and Wario are to B1. Clutch factor and some good tools to get it done hold him above a certain placing for the foreseeable future. B2 is also full of characters who are clearly good but apparently not good enough to get any considerable results at least often enough (i.e. more than once by now). Pit would probably be called top 10 if Nairo used him exclusively, just seems like a really solid character overall, he simply lacks any particularly reliable kill options. Wish ZSS had his dash attack though, Pit's is just an objectively better version of that (unless the ZSS decides to use dash attacks instead of grabs to punish landings).

A bit uncertain of Mega Man and Lucas but the former sort of reminded people of his existence at MLG and the latter has surprisingly good hitboxes and frame data (in the form of endlag), plus like 5 actually strong kill throws. I think Lucas would be one of the characters people immediately called high tier if someone really good mained him. Wanted to make this much shorter but oh well ****

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom