• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
The /r/smashbros October Monthly voted tier list is open for voting if you're interested in that. Yes it says /r/smashbros, but that's only because calling it the 'smash community' tier list would be incorrect. More input from any players is always welcome.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Oh? This is interesting. I've seen people say that this MU was in Mario's favor before, interesting to see a Mario main think it's in our favor.
My personal experience in the MU is very small, but I don't see how it's in Mario's favor. Greninja exploits Mario's disadvantaged state really well. Mario may not have the advantage in neutral either, which is what was widely believed.

I thought Mario vs. Rosalina was even. Is it in Rosalina's favor because of her range?
Range is a factor, but it's mainly how well she controls the stage. She's weak without Luma, but she can avoid getting hit if she really, really tries. Dabuz does this very well when any sort of platforms are available.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Should be noted that Komorikiri and Ally struck to battlefield for game 1, which Komorikiri won.
Ally actually counter picked SV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcSrOklBYuw
Komo had to come back pretty hard on BF and 2stocked him on SV. Not sure why they made the decisions they did, but outside of actual results the general pace of the match still support my theory.

I thought Mario vs. Rosalina was even. Is it in Rosalina's favor because of her range?
Range, edgeguarding, and negating mario's grab combos.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Also, can anyone tell me what they think of the Ryu/Marth/Lucina matchup? I always have trouble with Marth players while playing as Ryu. :'(

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
"Name another Pika" sounds like a silly argument but it does make sense when you consider all the other top 5 contenders have at least 2 well-known reps. And even considering ESAM, Pika's results aren't as good as many of the characters around him. He's good, but I'm comfortable leaving him in the bottom half of top 10.

In my opinion of Mario's hardest MUs from greatest to least.

1. Rosalina
2. Sonic
3. Sheik
4. Ryu
5. ZSS

Honorable mention of Greninja.

None of them are hard counters but they are losing MUs.
Interesting to see you say that. I also feel Greninja does well against Mario and could boast a slight advantage due to his range and mobility. 55:45 is possible.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
For ZSS and V115, I don't know how well V115 plays. Well, I think he is a good player, but I think he makes really silly mistakes at times. I remember a match were he fought BlackTwins's Falco. BlackTwins isn't a Falco player; he's a Mario player. I think V115 SD'd like twice the entire set of Losers Finals and basically gave BlackTwins a victory. MU inexperience or not, SD'ing like that isn't indicative of the players skill if they royally screwed up two times and couldn't make up the massive disadvantage. I don't know enough to say anything about the Mario and ZSS MU, so what's said here is totally holds nothing, but I don't think Mario beats her. Even ignoring that Nairo might be a level above Ally in player skill, the fact that ZSS's advantage is extreme, but checked by a very punishable whiffed grab and that Mario doesn't exactly kill as easily as ZSS and his advantage kind of pales in comparison to her, I can't see how Mario would hold an advantage not matter how slight against ZSS. If anything, V115 might be held back by himself than anything and that at worse, ZSS is even with Mario, but V115's mistakes are making it much worse.
Yeah, I'll agree here that it's most likely even. You know it's funny that you mention V's SD's, he actually sd'd twice in GFs at that same tournament where he beat Ally and won. V is primarly a Brawl player and has been since he started playing competitively, he didn't even own a Wii U until a few months ago... so he was basically going off Brawl fundamentals and winning what he can, sd's and all. I will agree here, and even Blacktwins has said the same thing to V. I think he could be a much more skilled player if he dedicated more time to Smash4, but alas you can't force someone to play a game they are not serious about.

One of the many Ontario jokes is that Blacktwins plays everyone; he may not play them all to the level of his Mario, but he plays a lot of characters competently enough to beat even dedicated high-skilled players.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So I think the Fox vs Sonic matchup hasn't been played out right :')

ANYWAYS for some serious discussion. Okay I admit it's a silly question but still. I wanna talk taunts, especially Luigi's. With the 2 frame window for punishes on recoveries if you know characters are coming to the stage couldn't you simply edgeguard with his down taunt? Could Luigi actually have a worthwhile tool in the silliest way ever due to dumb mechanics? I know it's silly, but I look at really telegraphed recoveries and just wonder why people haven't tried it.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Also, can anyone tell me what they think of the Ryu/Marth/Lucina matchup? I always have trouble with Marth players while playing as Ryu. :'(
Ryu does struggle no doubt. But it can't be in Marth's advantage in my opinion because Ryu does too much damage per hit and kills too early. It's probably even (it's not like we've really seen the MU though) but Emblem Lord will tell you it's in Marth's favor.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So I think the Fox vs Sonic matchup hasn't been played out right :')

ANYWAYS for some serious discussion. Okay I admit it's a silly question but still. I wanna talk taunts, especially Luigi's. With the 2 frame window for punishes on recoveries if you know characters are coming to the stage couldn't you simply edgeguard with his down taunt? Could Luigi actually have a worthwhile tool in the silliest way ever due to dumb mechanics? I know it's silly, but I look at really telegraphed recoveries and just wonder why people haven't tried it.
I've only had success using it on Falcon and Dorf. Although I bet Fox's firefox recovery should be gimpable too sine it's so predictable and linear.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I personally think Fox has a slight advantage vs Sonic. He just jabs/f-tilts him and he gets out of his ball though, he doesn't have to pee on him to make him unroll because that's gross.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pit would probably be called top 10 if Nairo used him exclusively, just seems like a really solid character overall, he simply lacks any particularly reliable kill options.
Can't help but think this comment went unnoticed. I mean, if Mario's top ten and loses to five prominent characters, then Pit would at least be right by him since he loses to the same amount of characters at worst. (Not a lot of agreement on our bad matchups so it's not really worth going into detail.) I understand that Pit's not usually put in top ten because of his lack of representation, of course.

You're right about lacking consistent ways to kill... Or rather, lacking research into killing. He could very well have real kill setups that just haven't been found.

Well, hopefully Pit gets some time in the limelight with Earth coming to Genesis. He's just not being played because people aren't playing him, as stupid as it is...

Coffee™

I need it....
So...been wondering. If we remove Nairo from the equation do most people still think ZSS is solidly #2.

If so, why?

epicnights

Smash Apprentice
NNID
epicnights
So...been wondering. If we remove Nairo from the equation do most people still think ZSS is solidly #2.

If so, why?
I would definitely say so for sure. There are still extremely good ZSS players such as Nick Riddle, however Nairo is certainly the highest placing and most popular ZSS main for Smash 4.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think Sonic vs Fox is even but most Sonic players are bad/stupid and overuse spindash which Fox is pretty good at punishing. So it often turns out that Fox ends up winning even though the matchup isn't in his favor.

:059:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
It's not only America and Canada that have good ZSS players, Choco does work with her in Japan as well. Not sure about Europe, however; don't suppose anyone knows about that ( ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ ?)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
DK is in no way Mario's worst MU. It is even or in Mario's favor. Mario can get in DK's face and still rack up damage and cover his landing all day. Sure mid range, DK may have the leg up, but close range and and farther ranged, DK suffers. Having an easy to cape recovery and no ledge options means that getting back on stage means possibly taking like 40%. Onstage, the game is probably in DK's favor if the Mario is so bold and stupid to straight up go and fight him. Offstage is more important IMO, so Mario has the leg up there.

Well, rush down characters are usually going to prevail because mobility and good frame data is important in fighting games. Also having kill confirms is important which most top tiers had.
Disagree.
DK can break a lot of Mario's early strings with Up-B for massive damage, forcing Mario to not be aggressive. He also can Up-B out of Mario's D-air, removing that shield pressure tool from the matchup. Finally, Up-B is very good for consistently edgeguarding Mario's low recovery.

This is on top of DK being heavy, able to run fast and thus pressure Mario's defenses well, and having a lot more range and damage per hit. Will did all of he above to Ally in tournament and forced a character switch. DK is easily one of Mario's worst matchups when he's a heavy that Mario cannot combo consistently, and also is able to edgeguard Mario reliably.

Last edited:

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
Fox has a decent time against Sonic, lasers put pressure, tilts/jab and aerials are a pain to approach, and a single missed tech or bad air dodge can mean death by up smash.

That said, I don't understand why Fox would consider this match up advantageous. Sonic's air mobility between fast air speed, spring jump, and his spin moves, make him hard to combo and kill in the air. Sonic gets huge reward off of grabs, with his up throw combos, d throw to get him low off stage where fire Fox can be abused, and 2 potential kill throws. That's not mentioning with proper mix ups, spin dash will still grant major damage in this match up. Is there something Fox can do I'm forgetting? Otherwise I'd lean Sonic on this one (totally biased though)

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
I think Mario has some misconceptions and preconceived biases associated with him.

The major thing is this idea that his stats are "average," or that he's a solid character who is good at everything but not great at anything. This was true in previous smash games: Mario was the everyman; his stats were perfectly average. But that's not the case in smash 4: airspeed is too big of a factor for it to be so (also his up-smash is amazing in this game and a dominant factor in his success). Mario was average when his airspeed was average and you could wall him out due to his limited range. But now the strategy of "just wall Mario out with hitboxes" doesn't quite work any more unless your name is Rosalina. Mario is not an everyman. He's an extreme. Extremely good at moving around and weaving and extremely good at combo'ing/stringing together hits, with extremely fast attacks (best average frame data in the game besides Luigi). Defensive options (besides airdodge to the ground) got much stronger going from Brawl to smash 4 (the best airdodges/rolls in Brawl are now just about average for smash4), and for a low-range, high-mobility character like Mario that matters a lot and highlights his extreme traits.

I've seen several character boards start out saying early on in the game's lifetime that "Mario should be an easy or even matchup" and end up shifting to "Wow, Mario is actually really hard, I don't know why I'm struggling, in theory we should win." A great example of a misconception coming unraveled with time.

Mario has come a long way from when the game first came out. His punish/combo game has been optimized over time. He used to be only d-throw to up-tilt chains at low % but now Mario just lightly touches some characters and they take 30-60 damage from elaborate strings. f-air has become a legitimate combo tool (d-air -> f-air for instance). All of his aerials and tilts now have uses (except f-tilt I guess). KO'ing is not a problem in most matchups just because of his weight and how easy it is to land f-smash or up-smash (and how safe it is to throw out these moves) on landings/empty hop baits, which are once again enabled by his airspeed.

Additionally, Mario's toughest matchups were nerfed over time, and that too in the way most beneficial to Mario. Mario lost hard to characters who didn't care so much about his weaving (because of decent weaving of their own) but had much higher reward/kill confirms: 1.0.4. Diddy, 1.0.6. (?) Sonic, 1.0.9 Luigi. But they were all nerfed, specifically in their KO power (which was the problem for Mario), and now at least two of these characters actually have some trouble vs. Mario (never mind Komorikiri vs. Ally for now) or at least consider him a "tougher end of" even matchup. If you take a look at the set that 6wx took off of Ally at Shots Fired, you'll notice that most if not all of the KOs that Sonic got came from b-throw. With b-throw's nerf, 6wx has been losing to Ally consistently and it's usually because Ally kills him first. Those kill power nerfs mattered a lot--Mario loves it when you let him play the Fishing For Rage Up-Smash game, and it shows in the results.

If you consider Mario's matchup spread in a vacuum you might not be impressed, but look at it in comparison to that of other characters and you'll see that it's actually one of the best in the game. He has the tools to succeed in even matchups that he theoretically loses and so it's difficult to say that Mario loses any matchup more than 45:55. For instance it's commonly agreed by Marios that Rosalina is his worst matchup but Mario has so many tools in this matchup that I've seen several Rosalinas claim that it's ether even or one of Rosalina's more difficult matchups. Just compare how Mario does vs. Rosalina to how Diddy does vs. Rosalina: Mario has a much easier time KOing thanks to up-smash, gets gimped a lot less because his up-b is so good, has b-throw and dash attack to get rid of Luma, and can instant-death Rosalina at any time using Cape if she flubs her recovery angle.

Every time I see Mario vs. Sheik it looks like an even matchup, except when it's Ally vs. ZeRo, but Ally seems much worse than Anti at avoiding Sheik's KO setups, especially out of d-throw, so I think this might be a player-specific problem. ZSS mains have claimed on their board before that Mario is one of their harder matchups (I've even seen Shaya Shaya say it's ZSS' hardest), so at the worst I can see an even matchup here, though the recent buffs may have turned the tides. Sonic is probably even or close to it (we don't know where the matchup actually lands in the range of values provided by Komorikiri for Sonic's matchups; it may be closer to 50:50 than 45:55 for all we know). I don't buy that Ryu is a bad matchup for Mario; I think Marios just need to stop up-smashing the falling focus attack (even d-smash with the double hit is a better choice). Ally was playing the MU vs. Trela significantly better than he played the MU vs. 9B even though 9B is probably the better Ryu. Ryu has one of the worst airdodges in the game, and he has trouble reversing his aerial momentum, so as long as Mario maximizes his punishes and plays a safe, almost campy game like Ally was doing against Trela in some of the matches then Mario should be fine.

Greninja is listed as a difficult matchup for Mario in HeroMystic HeroMystic 's list, and I've thought the same before, but Greninja mains have often said that Mario wins due to his up-tilt chains/combos and weaving/pressure, so here's yet another example of how Mario's "worst MUs" are not actually bad MUs but probably just "annoyingly even with some properties that Mario doesn't like." Oh no. How horrible. Poor Mario. He actually has to try.

Meanwhile if you take the MU spread of any other character besides Sheik (and perhaps postpatch ZSS) you'll find several difficult matchups. Sonic probably loses to ZSS, Sheik, and Rosalina at least, and Ike is looking like a hard MU as well. ZSS has some issues (historically) with Pikachu, Ness, Diddy, Mario (?), and Sheik, so that's at least 5. Rosalina struggles with ZSS and has troublesome Falcon, Pikachu, MK, Wario, and Marth (?) matchups at the least.

Then if you look at Mario's good matchups he is the hardest or 2nd hardest matchup for several characters: Pikachu, Wario, Megaman (paging Locke 06 Locke 06 ), Olimar (probably after Sheik), etc. I've seen Shaya suggest that Mario is one of Marth's worst matchups before the Marth buffs and @san. suggest that Mario is Ike's hardest matchup before the Ike buffs. I've seen Fox (who is supposedly better than Mario) also struggle with Mario for what it's worth, though the matchup may be even regardless. Ally vs. Larry looked extremely difficult for Larry, at least.

Mario's matchup spread is pretty ridiculous and with tools like a frame 2 jab, frame 3 n-air, small size, medium weight, a b-throw that kills, strings, invincible up-smash, FLUDD, high mobility on the ground (initial dash) and in the air, a frame 4 jumpsquat, Cape, a projectile, and a hard-to-gimp up-b, there's no character in the game who can say that Mario is an "easy" matchup and several characters who can say that Mario is a hard matchup. On top of that, Mario has a healthy amount of representation and succeeds on numerous levels with players like Zenyou, Ally, Anti, etc.

I don't know about guaranteed top 5 because there are so many good characters floating around up there, but to say that Mario is not even in the running is a little extreme. There are solid arguments to be made in his favor.

Last edited:

Coffee™

I need it....
I would definitely say so for sure. There are still extremely good ZSS players such as Nick Riddle, however Nairo is certainly the highest placing and most popular ZSS main for Smash 4.
Having additional good players isn’t really a reason by itself that justifies her being #2 though. A lot of other perceived top 5-10 characters can generally make the same claim.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Disagree.
DK can break a lot of Mario's early strings with Up-B for massive damage, forcing Mario to not be aggressive. He also can Up-B out of Mario's D-air, removing that shield pressure tool from the matchup. Finally, Up-B is very good for consistently edgeguarding Mario's low recovery.

This is on top of DK being heavy, able to run fast and thus pressure Mario's defenses well, and having a lot more range and damage per hit. Will did all of he above to Ally in tournament and forced a character switch. DK is easily one of Mario's worst matchups when he's a heavy that Mario cannot combo consistently, and also is able to edgeguard Mario reliably.
Someone talked to me about that match and I was impressed but then took a gander to previous Ally sets and have come to the conclusion he clearly doesn't want to play the MU at all and goes on auto pilot. Ally relies on hard reads and tries to get all in DK's face.....in a way that DK can combat it. Playing to DK's mid range game is what Ally tends to play. Hard reads are kinda ineffective on a character that uses hard reads themselves. Many of DK's moves are shield grab punish. What Dk has over mario, bar a slight on the ground mobility, is his savage mid range game and that's what keeps him in game. His onstage game is also strong (I would put it up there for very high onstage game/control), but focus on being in the air or force him to go into shield, then DK is kinda easy. Explains why you were will not be in shield for many games and sets.

Up b is good to get out of some things, but not to break out of dair (maybe higher percents, but haven't labbed when), and trying to gimp the disjointed, I frame loving, stage spiking thing of Mario? I dunno about that.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Someone talked to me about that match and I was impressed but then took a gander to previous Ally sets and have come to the conclusion he clearly doesn't want to play the MU at all and goes on auto pilot. Ally relies on hard reads and tries to get all in DK's face.....in a way that DK can combat it. Playing to DK's mid range game is what Ally tends to play. Hard reads are kinda ineffective on a character that uses hard reads themselves. Many of DK's moves are shield grab punish. What Dk has over mario, bar a slight on the ground mobility, is his savage mid range game and that's what keeps him in game. His onstage game is also strong (I would put it up there for very high onstage game/control), but focus on being in the air or force him to go into shield, then DK is kinda easy. Explains why you were will not be in shield for many games and sets.

Up b is good to get out of some things, but not to break out of dair (maybe higher percents, but haven't labbed when), and trying to gimp the disjointed, I frame loving, stage spiking thing of Mario? I dunno about that.
You literally just mash Up-B when Mario D-airs you and you break it for more damage. It's not hard, given it's frame 3 invincible. Mario's pressure options on DK are limited a lot by this.

DK doesn't really need to hard read Mario to land U-tilt or stop ground approaches with D-tilt. I'm not exactly sure what you find so difficult about the matchup, especially since Mario can't really camp at all vs DK.

Mario's Up-B to my recollection is unlikely to stage spike you except with the very first or last hits, and towards the end of the move is when it's also easiest to beat with large lingering hitboxes. It's not exactly that risky to edgeguard Mario as DK.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's not only America and Canada that have good ZSS players, Choco does work with her in Japan as well. Not sure about Europe, however; don't suppose anyone knows about that ( ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ ?)
Leon and quiksilver were among the best players in the EU in Brawl times and both play ZSS in Smash 4. But the way I see it neither actually does a lot right now. Quik hardly attends tournaments and idk what Leon is doing, I think he's ranked 4th or so in France. I'm not sure how good France is holding up in smash 4 compared to Germany/Spain/Mr r

:059:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Agreed with everything SolidSense said, but just wanted to point out that Mario actually has a frame 5 jumpsquat, not 4.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
quiK (not quiKsilver anymore) attended Smash Summer Cup in France and got second (Leon got 5th). But he rarely attends tournaments. Leon hates Smash 4 and doesn't want to attend any tournaments in the future.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
You literally just mash Up-B when Mario D-airs you and you break it for more damage. It's not hard, given it's frame 3 invincible. Mario's pressure options on DK are limited a lot by this.

DK doesn't really need to hard read Mario to land U-tilt or stop ground approaches with D-tilt. I'm not exactly sure what you find so difficult about the matchup, especially since Mario can't really camp at all vs DK.

Mario's Up-B to my recollection is unlikely to stage spike you except with the very first or last hits, and towards the end of the move is when it's also easiest to beat with large lingering hitboxes. It's not exactly that risky to edgeguard Mario as DK.
Dk doesn't have a safe or fast move that covers or reaches in front of himself (hence why he sucks at approches or landings) so edgeguarding with DK comes with the easy to predict bairs or fresh up b (which yes the hitbox is actually huge), but that don't kill unless you wanna go deep and kiss the blastzones. It works on like CF and Ganon, not so much Mario.

Just saying that since it frame 3 invincible, doesn't mean you just act out it immediately since that makes no sense. Hitstun usually prevents peeps from mashing out of it. Also the trade COULD back fire if you don't get that fat 36%, but only hit with the initial 10%.

Yes utilt is a great move I love to use in general and works wonders in the MU, but dtilt works if they are linearly approaching you like a silly person. Most times, I get SH approaches which negate dtilt's useage. In no way is the MU so much in DK's favor.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Fox has a decent time against Sonic, lasers put pressure, tilts/jab and aerials are a pain to approach, and a single missed tech or bad air dodge can mean death by up smash.

That said, I don't understand why Fox would consider this match up advantageous. Sonic's air mobility between fast air speed, spring jump, and his spin moves, make him hard to combo and kill in the air. Sonic gets huge reward off of grabs, with his up throw combos, d throw to get him low off stage where fire Fox can be abused, and 2 potential kill throws. That's not mentioning with proper mix ups, spin dash will still grant major damage in this match up. Is there something Fox can do I'm forgetting? Otherwise I'd lean Sonic on this one (totally biased though)
It's mostly Sonic mains who consider it to be in Fox's favor. It's really more of an even matchup, the better player will win.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
NairWizard NairWizard -- Honestly, I'm a bit contrary to most Mega Man players in my matchup analysis. This is for multiple reasons, that I don't really feel the need to go into, but just take that for what you will. I'll go over this because I enjoy the legitimate analyses that is happening in this thread now. Reminds me of the old productive CCI.

Mario was seen as a terrible matchup for Mega, mostly because ScAtt, who is unquestionably the Mega Man with the best results in NA, got absolutely destroyed by Ally at Smash n Splash. So much so that he switched to ganondorf. Add in that many Mega Mans absolutely hate the matchup, including the most well known Zucco, and you have the perception of a terrible matchup. He has everything that Mega Man doesn't: Good Jab/boxing game, air>ground game, autocancels, combos, combo breaker, reflector, and, most importantly, relatively low commitment/safe kill moves. He can cover his approach with fireballs, similar to Pika, to help pester and get openings against Mega from outside of midrange, weakening Mega's zoning game slightly. The amount of times you see a plumber do this, compared to almost any other character spamming a kill move like that... there is no comparison. Mega Man's kill moves are so committal, that it's easy to be envious of the "easier" Mario. (partially why Doc feels so good to secondary for me recently)

I've argued that the matchup is even/in Mega's favor. I still stand by my thoughts, but some of Mario's biggest pressure tools, landing DAir and UAir, received a nice buff on shield in the patch and I am curious to see how that affects his semi-vortex game. The lack of a functional FAir, a poor dash attack, and a relatively low range ftilt (it's no Greninja or Falco ftilt), really hurts his neutral vs the pellet game. His air>ground options facing forward have low range allowing for smart trades and/or (air-air) disjoints to keep him out (see luma). Until Mario players can PP>RAR consistently from a standstill, midrange should unquestionably be Mega Man's territory in the matchup.

Mega Man never needs to challenge Mario's up smash and his grab reward at high %'s is positional and damage, while Mario needs to get in on Mega Man with his utilt reversal and more rewarding throws at high % (bthrow/uthrow kill, 3% pummel, 12% bthrow, excels offstage more than Mario and wants Mario away from him). Mario's physics also lend himself to getting hitconfirmed with pellets into NAir or jab which slaps him back into midrange where Mega Man thrives. I have yet to play Big D or Viviff's Mario, the best Mario's in the PNW and #1 players in BC and Oregon respectively, so there's that. ScAtt, after playing Ally more at MLG, no longer thinks Mario is Mega's worst matchup and now thinks Sheik is Mega's worst matchup after getting bodied by Mr. R (lol).

------------------------------------------------
Something that Mario has that makes him stealthily amazing is complete flexibility with his aerials. It's underrated, especially in mid/low level play, but rising aerials punishing jumps is almost more important than falling aerials being safe on block. It's why Sheik shuts down ZSS' neutral, why ROB loses at high level play, and why Diddy and Ness are so good at midrange. Mario's SH BAir in mid-range allows you to rise with it to challenge an aerial, and then fall with the flexibility of throwing out a semi-safe hitbox (UAir/BAir/DAir/NAir), (fast) falling to a lagless landing, or jump & b-reverse a fireball to gain space as a mixup.

If the character is top tier or top 5 or whatever, it's due to his amazing flexibility and flow that is accompanied by his natural mobility specs and startup/cooldown of his moves. This also means that the rest of the top tier is too flawed to shut him out, and I think that is a major point of interest people should take note of.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dk doesn't have a safe or fast move that covers or reaches in front of himself (hence why he sucks at approches or landings) so edgeguarding with DK comes with the easy to predict bairs or fresh up b (which yes the hitbox is actually huge), but that don't kill unless you wanna go deep and kiss the blastzones. It works on like CF and Ganon, not so much Mario.

Just saying that since it frame 3 invincible, doesn't mean you just act out it immediately since that makes no sense. Hitstun usually prevents peeps from mashing out of it. Also the trade COULD back fire if you don't get that fat 36%, but only hit with the initial 10%.

Yes utilt is a great move I love to use in general and works wonders in the MU, but dtilt works if they are linearly approaching you like a silly person. Most times, I get SH approaches which negate dtilt's useage. In no way is the MU so much in DK's favor.
Well guess what, Mario's forward facing options are worse than DK's. DK at least has DA, downB, F-tilt (up angled is so good against air approaches), and perfect pivot U-tilt as options. Mario has...RAR B-air and dashgrab.

Also Mario can't rising B-air DK while DK is crouching if I'm not mistaken, so D-tilt is still not a bad response to SH approaches.

Mario's D-air last hit is interrupted by 3 frame aerials. DK's Up-B is frame 3 invincible. You do the math. Furthermore this interrupts a lot of Mario's low% strings out of D-throw and U-tilt as well.

Also Locke 06 Locke 06 , what you mentioned is why Mario loses to Falcon imo. Falcon punishes Mario way too easily for doing rising aerials.

Once Falcons simply recover low consistently against Mario's bad options to edgeguard low and counterpick to platform stages more, I believe it's one of Mario's harder matchups simply because he can't really answer Falcon's pressure or ground game that well, and Falcon is heavier and better at fishing for kills (with B-air).

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
How can Mario be losing to Ryu? He can just stop Hadouken with a fireball or reflecting it, Mario can hit Ryu very nicely with Up Air and Up TIlt, and gimp him with Cape and Fludd. I don't really see it as a losing match-up to Mario. Hell, not even Sonic isn't that bad for Mario. It's 55:45 in favor of Sonic but it really isn't that bad. Rosalina on the other hand... Yeah... If you use Mario againts Rosalina, is a massacre.
Mario loses when Ryu realizes he can play Street Fighter style footsies and Mario has no answer that doesnt involve a straight risk. And Focus Attack craps on land trap kill set-ups.

If Mario thinks he can utilt "combo" ryu, Mario is gonna eat a dragon punch sandwich.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
imo Mario has actually a lot of unfavorable matchups for someone who is considered top tier.

From worst to best off the top of my head:

DK (heavy, can combo break Mario and edgeguard him)
Link (gets similar grab reward, anti-airs Mario and edgeguards him with trivial effort)
Diddy (Mario has never had good answers to Diddy's neutral game, esp F-air and D-tilt)
Ryu (kinda like Diddy except without Bananas but a heavyweight)
Fox (U-air frame traps body Mario, and Fox wins neutral)
Dark/Pit (They outspace Mario and have better grab games)
Rosa (Similar to Dark/Pit but larger emphasis on edgeguards)
Captain Falcon (exact same as Fox, eats a few more combos, but is better at fishing for B-airs)
Dr Mario (Walls for more reward, especially with his superior B-air and U-smash and Jab cancel KO confirms)
Charizard (similar to Falcon, worse aerials, but better ground game and KO throw)

And some of these matchups are against extremely competitively relevant characters. I do think he's overrated.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
DK is in no way Mario's worst MU. It is even or in Mario's favor. Mario can get in DK's face and still rack up damage and cover his landing all day. Sure mid range, DK may have the leg up, but close range and and farther ranged, DK suffers. Having an easy to cape recovery and no ledge options means that getting back on stage means possibly taking like 40%. Onstage, the game is probably in DK's favor if the Mario is so bold and stupid to straight up go and fight him. Offstage is more important IMO, so Mario has the leg up there.

Well, rush down characters are usually going to prevail because mobility and good frame data is important in fighting games. Also having kill confirms is important which most top tiers had.
this is only so in smash, cuz sakurai loves to sacrifice competitive 1v1 viability for character feel and series representation. every other fighting game has fireball users at the top, or a character with ridiculous normals.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
"name another high level Pikachhu that isn't ESAM"
is the argument
I've never understood how the fact that a character is only played by one high level player somehow invalidates what the character has been shown to be capable of

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Well guess what, Mario's forward facing options are worse than DK's. DK at least has DA, downB, F-tilt (up angled is so good against air approaches), and perfect pivot U-tilt as options. Mario has...RAR B-air and dashgrab.

Also Mario can't rising B-air DK while DK is crouching if I'm not mistaken, so D-tilt is still not a bad response to SH approaches.

Mario's D-air last hit is interrupted by 3 frame aerials. DK's Up-B is frame 3 invincible. You do the math. Furthermore this interrupts a lot of Mario's low% strings out of D-throw and U-tilt as well.

Also Locke 06 Locke 06 , what you mentioned is why Mario loses to Falcon imo. Falcon punishes Mario way too easily for doing rising aerials.

Once Falcons simply recover low consistently against Mario's bad options to edgeguard low and counterpick to platform stages more, I believe it's one of Mario's harder matchups simply because he can't really answer Falcon's pressure or ground game that well, and Falcon is heavier and better at fishing for kills (with B-air).
Did you just call DK's DA a forward option? Bruh, Mario's is way safer. Lol, down b is an approach with being frame 19 and quake hitbox? For a character that will be in the air a lot, I don't think so. Ftilt still misses up front and is a lackluster move outside the range it kinda provides. Generally it's an overrated move by non DK mains.

After actually picking up Mario and watching many Marios play, I have seen that falling uair can approach, fireballs can, crossup Nair, dair are some options he has.

Rising bairs don't carry Dk, but do hit and matter a lot. Dtilt works yes, but not pivotal or non factor in the MU. Utilt is like a god send for most of DK's MUs IMO.

Up b has intangibility frame 3 yes, hit boxes come out frame 4. Use it to get out of utilt strings is a "no duh". But not for dair. You say frame 3 attacks break out, but it's frame 4. Never has it worked or seemed profitable for me to do so as I stated before, it's highly likely you will only get the 10% hit instead of the fat 36% and get punished.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've never understood how the fact that a character is only played by one high level player somehow invalidates what the character has been shown to be capable of
It doesn't invalidate but it is still a mitigating factor.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Ok imma ask this and sound like a scrub
How do you even edgeguard Mario? He has amazing airspeed, frame speed, AND an frame 3 invincible up b.
I'm a villager main who prides himself in being able to edgeguard people but Mario always stops me cold.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
imo Mario has actually a lot of unfavorable matchups for someone who is considered top tier.

From worst to best off the top of my head:

DK (heavy, can combo break Mario and edgeguard him)
Link (gets similar grab reward, anti-airs Mario and edgeguards him with trivial effort)
Diddy (Mario has never had good answers to Diddy's neutral game, esp F-air and D-tilt)
Ryu (kinda like Diddy except without Bananas but a heavyweight)
Fox (U-air frame traps body Mario, and Fox wins neutral)
Dark/Pit (They outspace Mario and have better grab games)
Rosa (Similar to Dark/Pit but larger emphasis on edgeguards)
Captain Falcon (exact same as Fox, eats a few more combos, but is better at fishing for B-airs)
Dr Mario (Walls for more reward, especially with his superior B-air and U-smash and Jab cancel KO confirms)
Charizard (similar to Falcon, worse aerials, but better ground game and KO throw)

And some of these matchups are against extremely competitively relevant characters. I do think he's overrated.
I'm not going to get into if Mario is overrated or not, but I'd like to add that he also still has an unfavorable MU with Luigi. No killing easily with D-Throw makes it harder, but Luigi generally still outdamages Mario and gets greater rewards off of grab. That would be all.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ok imma ask this and sound like a scrub
How do you even edgeguard Mario? He has amazing airspeed, frame speed, AND an frame 3 invincible up b.
I'm a villager main who prides himself in being able to edgeguard people but Mario always stops me cold.
Lingering hitboxes.

I do it all the time with Ganon and Link.

Yikarur

Smash Master
It's not like "1 Pika players and several others placing decent"
it's more like "1 Pika god and no other Pikas in Top32 at every major"

ESAM is the only, and the very only Pikachu with results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom