• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Wheres Peach in that?
Um have we talked about Zelda? If we do, I beg........PLEASE don't say what I know most will say :(
The girl deserves some respect peoples, she's got her lagning kicks, and her dins Fail that'll destroy you if you think otherwise ;)

Last edited:

Bwill3002

Smash Rookie
NNID
BMW_Spiderman
Well, :4rob::4wario2:'s potential is seen commonly in tournaments, and sort of :4lucario:. Also, :4gaw:'s too, through GimR. I can agree with the others though.
Ya but Gimr is the only know :4gaw: main, and :4wario2: and :4lucario: mains aren't as common as other characters I've seen like Sonic, Sheik, Peach, Mario, and Fox

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
there are some people who say she's not the worst.....but I don't see it. And I haven't seen anyone pull it of in tournament either. Please, if anyone knows a good Zelda with some tournament matches, tell me

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Saying GIMR is the main source of results for GnW is like saying most of Melee Yoshi's results come from Peanutphobia.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Wheres Peach in that?
Um have we talked about Zelda? If we do, I beg........PLEASE don't say what I know most will say :(
The girl deserves some respect peoples, she's got her lagning kicks, and her dins Fail that'll destroy you if you think otherwise ;)
She's not the worst character in the game. But her design still plays like she has Sheik to transform into for damage racking, and then transform back into Zelda for KO moves.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Ya but Gimr is the only know :4gaw: main, and :4wario2: and :4lucario: mains aren't as common as other characters I've seen like Sonic, Sheik, Peach, Mario, and Fox
Well, obviously Wario and Lucario aren't as good as those characters (except maybe on par with peach, I wouldn't know) so, therefore, those two won't be seen as much as the high tiers. Wario and Lucario are still decent in their own right and be glad that GimR uses G&W. GimRs and the few others that main G&W are good enough rep as long as they stay relevant. As for Wario and Lucario, I wouldn't say that they're underrated. We know what they can do and we know to respect their strengths. They just aren't good enough in the current meta to secure them a place outside of the amorphous mass that's called 'mid tier' (or, as zero calls it, everything but Bowser tier).

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
anywhere but the arm i think. she does this really funky body curve though(she goes more or less completely horizontal) but her arm is invincible.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
anywhere but the arm i think. she does this really funky body curve though(she goes more or less completely horizontal) but her arm is invincible.
It only does 4%? Too, so if I threw out a Fair as bowser and it somehow makes contact, will it truck through it or will we trade? I'm leaning towards trade, but it would be a very favorable trade for us.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Check out imESAM on YouTube in a video called priority doesnt exist, this explains all interactions with hitboxes except what causes the lag on clanking to vary, which im unclear on as well.

Apeirohaon

Smash Apprentice
Can we talk about the fact that Luma can attack while Rosalina is being grabbed again?
why? everything there is to say has already been said
boo hoo, you miss out on 5% in pummel damage that most people don't take anyways.
you can say it doesn't make sense that rosa can do it but no other char can, but at the end of the day the practical difference is marginal

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Late replies.
I think the best direction for Shulk would be to make him good at doing something; he doesn't have good reward (except for Buster/Smash, but even then his setups are limited), he doesn't have good neutral (except in Speed, and even then none of his aerials AC except for MALLC, which is the dumbest thing to actually give a character), and he doesn't have good disadvantage (except in Jump, which is still not that hard to gimp. Shield is joke-character mode and he can't land). The problem lies in Nintendo's standing philosophy for the character; he's supposed to be weaker in vanilla mode, but his Monados allow him to play in several different ways. He just doesn't actually get much improvement from them.

The Monados are basically lipstick on a pig; they try to hide fundamental flaws under the guise of something that seems "better" but in reality doesn't do much except improve on one or two things and nothing else.
Shulk's Monado Arts always reminded me of Dante's Styles in Devil May Cry 3 and 4. DMC3 was fine in a sense that you were stuck with a Style until you got to the statue to switch them. In DMC4, they added the ability to switch through them on the fly. It was hard enough mastering one Style with Dante in DMC3, but now you have 5 Styles you can cycle through in DMC4. The thing is that you don't need to cycle through them like the insane combo mad players do. A regular and high-level Dante player can just stick with one Style and cycle through whenever he chooses.

Shulk like Dante are considered highly technical characters in Smash and DMC3&4. Here's two things: one, Shulk's in a fighting game setting while Dante's in a hack 'n' slash setting and two, Shulk's Monado Arts are only temporary statuses that cannot be rapidly switched back and forth while Dante's Styles are moveset expansions that can be chosen whenever. Oh, and Shulk's frame data is slow while Dante's would be about Marth-speed. In a fighting game setting, you're not fighting dumb, predictable meatbags like in most hack 'n' slash games, so Shulk can't wail on people like Dante and Shulk cannot freely choose his Monado Arts not just because of how they work, but because how fighting games work.

Shulk's Monado Arts feel like you're playing a turn-based RPG where you methodically choose your options. They also are literally RPG-like status effects. Here's the issue with that: fighting games are generally chaotic and fast-paced and RPGs tend not to be and even if they are, some games let you pause to issue commands like in Dragon Age, Final Fantasy XII, and more. Also, like in turn-based RPGs, Shulk's attacks tend to be single hit and do a lot of damage.

Similarly, Dante's design in UMvC3 is like DMC3&4: high-speed, frantic, and flashy moves. The only difference is that Dante's Styles "activate" automatically in UMvC3. If you use a Swordmaster-only move, Dante will automatically switch and use whatever move. They're aesthetic rather than actual gameplay, so nothing really harms Dante unlike Shulk. Oh, and to make Dante feel like you're playing DMC, they made it so he didn't do a lot of damage, but he could combo the hell out of you and I think he has the most moves in UMvC3.

I get what they're trying to do with Shulk; Shulk's supposed to feel like a RPG character who has strong, single hits and has status effects. It's kind of like how Marth, Roy, and Ike must be precise and methodical like in Fire Emblem and Robin must manage her uses like in FE. The issue is when it interferes with their gameplay. FFA, doubles, or singles, Shulk's forced to manage status effects in the middle of combat. Even in chaos or with help, Shulk's going to be in a state of anxiety almost all the time and unlike Dante, Shulk can't default it out reliably since Dante's Styles are just moveset expansions rather than status effects; Dante's fine as is (like Ike) while Shulk's kind of dependent on status effects.

If you do change it so Shulk's Specials just automatically activate whatever Art, it would change Shulk into a different character. Ignoring what would replace his Neutral Special, Shulk would go from a strong, single hit fighter with access to status effects to just a strong, single hit fighter. Essentially, Shulk would go from say, a Paladin to a Knight. Still a RPG-styled character, but one who will have to contest with Ike even more as the other strong, single hit fighter.

Hmm... if you made it so if he hits or uses Air Slash and it activates Jump while using Back Slash would activate Buster, it would be a bit crazy if Shulk could setup Arts through hit confirms. The only issue is what Specials and what Arts since there's only 4 Specials...

F3 jab actually makes so much sense for this character. Also not-wonky hitboxes and a semi-workable kill setup would be great.
The fact there are frame +7 jabs is stupid, especially when they don't do enough damage or they're actually a part of a jab combo like Bowser and Wario's... What the hell are they going to do? Kill with those jabs? Bowser can, but he's better off using something else like Ftilt or Dtilt. Ganondorf's jab is overshadowed by his Ftilt and Dtilt and it's only slightly as strong as Roy's whose jab is frame 5 and arcs while Ganondorf's is linear... Oh, and Ganondorf's jab is only 1 frame off from having the same recovery as his Dtilt... I'm sorry, but what?! Meanwhile, Zelda's frame 5 ja- Oh, I'm sorry, I meant, frame 5 Dtilt; her actual jab is frame 11. At least her jab has low recovery like her own Dtilt and Roy's jab... Oh, Zelda... Why?

Then there's stupid recovery like Peach's frame 2-3 jab has 27 total frames. It shouldn't take you 25 frames to move your hand back from a slap. Unless Peach is actually that stupid - wouldn't be surprising considering the amount of times Bowser kidnapped her -, there's no reason why it should take that long to recover from any part of a jab which is considered the safest and most versatile move in martial arts, particularly, boxing. Speaking of which, Little Mac, a freaking boxer, takes 20 frames to recover from his jab 1... Let me remind you that Little Mac is a boxer. Meanwhile, Fox takes only 15 frames to recover.

Unless your local is stacked with good players you can win with any character, I'm talking about regional/nationals, players like Shaky and FOW stubbornly playing Ness against Rosa, or Ally/Esam having no answers against Luigi(pre patch), on the other hand player like ZeRo or Anti use their characters as the situation demands.
Ally tried picking up Luigi to ditto Luigi players and used Captain Falcon and maybe Marth against Luigi players before. I don't remember how successful he was, though, and I don't know if he used Meta Knight against Luigi before. In the end, Ally just returns to using Mario who I don't think was ever countered by Luigi. It's just Luigi's grab reward was so skewed compared to Mario and everyone else. Without that, at worse, it's possible that Mario's slightly disadvantaged. It wouldn't really make sense for Mario to lose that hard to Luigi like it wouldn't make sense for Ryu to lose that hard to Ken.

Im pretty sure he is floaty
... I should have made a chart yesterday... This is how I would classify character fall speeds - they're just broken in tiers of 11 to 12 characters. Note: All characters except for Link and Ryu have fast fall speeds that are 60% faster than their normal fall speed. Another note on Mewtwo: he shares the same damn air speed as Mario. Even with this... people will still say things like Marth is a floaty, Mewtwo is a floaty, Sonic is a fast faller, Falco is a floaty, and even question Jigglypuff's status as the floatiest and lightest character despite the fact she's been like that in each game...
Fast faller|Rank|Fall speed|Fast fall speed
:4fox:|1|2.05|3.28
:4dedede:|2|1.95|3.12
:4greninja:|3|1.85|2.96
:4falcon:|4|1.837|2.9392
:4falco:|5-8|1.8|2.88
:4littlemac:|5-8|1.8|2.88
:4megaman:|5-8|1.8|2.88
:4feroy:|5-8|1.8|2.88
:4diddy:|9-10|1.75|2.8
:4sheik:|9-10|1.75|2.8
:4miibrawl:|11-12|1.7|2.72
:4zss:|11-12|1.7|2.72
Above-average|Rank|Fall Speed|Fast Fall Speed
:4metaknight:|13|1.66|2.656
:4bowserjr:|14-17|1.65|2.64
:4duckhunt:|14-17|1.65|2.64
:4ganondorf:|14-17|1.65|2.64
:4myfriends:|14-17|1.65|2.65
:4dk:|18|1.63|2.608
:4wario2:|19|1.61|2.576
:4link:|20-23|1.6|3.04
:4miisword:|20-23|1.6|2.56
:4rob:|20-23|1.6|2.56
:4ryu:|20-23|1.6|2.24
Average|Rank|Fall Speed|Fast Fall Speed
:4lucina:|24-25|1.58|2.528
:4marth:|24-25|1.58|2.528
:4lucario:|26|1.56|2.496
:4pikachu:|27|1.55|2.48
:4drmario:|28-32|1.5|2.4
:4mario:|28-32|1.5|2.4
:4mewtwo:|28-32|1.5|2.4
:4shulk:|28-32|1.5|2.4
:4robinf:|28-32|1.5|2.4
:4darkpit:|33-34|1.48|2.368
:4pit:|33-34|1.48|2.368
Below-average|Rank|Fall Speed|Fast Fall Speed
:4miigun:|35-36|1.45|2.32
:4sonic:|35-36|1.45|2.32
:4charizard:|37-38|1.4|2.24
:4palutena:|37-38|1.4|2.24
:4bowser:|39|1.39|2.224
:4lucas:|40|1.37|2.192
:4pacman:|41-43|1.35|2.16
:4olimar:|41-43|1.35|2.16
:4zelda:|41-43|1.35|2.16
:4villagerf:|44|1.32|2.112
Floaty|Rank|Fall Speed|Fast Fall Speed
:4ness:|45|1.31|2.096
:4wiifit:|46|1.3|2.08
:4yoshi:|47|1.29|2.064
:4tlink:|48|1.28|2.048
:4luigi:|49-50|1.25|2.0
:4samus:|49-50|1.25|2.0
:4gaw:|51|1.24|1.984
:4kirby:|52|1.23|1.968
:rosalina:|53|1.2|1.92
:4peach:|54|1.15|1.84
:4jigglypuff:|55|0.98|1.568

I swear if I have to do this with weight, air speed, and even walk and run speed...

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Rather than have specific special moves activate particular arts, I think it would be more feasible if certain move variations could count towards the cycling for Shulk.

For example, if you up-angle F-Smash, it would move forward once in the Monado Arts loop, if you down-angle F-Smash it would move back once.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
why? everything there is to say has already been said
boo hoo, you miss out on 5% in pummel damage that most people don't take anyways.
you can say it doesn't make sense that rosa can do it but no other char can, but at the end of the day the practical difference is marginal
It screws up throw combos too, not just pummels.

Djent

Smash Champion
So, what are you folks' thoughts on doubles at this point in the game's lifetime?

I ask because I originally hated Sm4sh's 2v2 format, but it's really grown on me now that we've had the sense to ban Sheik/G&W. Seeing the incredible variety of characters and tactics on display at Umebura FAT and now MLG has been eye-opening. I no longer feel as if it is inferior to Brawl doubles in every way; in fact, it's probably better.

EDIT: It doesn't hurt that WF between ZeRo/Nairo and NAKAT/False was incredible. :eek:

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
So unless Zelda players come up with a magical combo, I think Zelda may as well be the bottom tier character in the game. It's a surprise they even nerfed her F-Air and B-Air, seeing as they could have kept it like they were in Brawl, faster and more powerful. It's a surprise that Zelda's attacks overall are worse (look at SSBWiki and there's more nerfs than buffs).

I have a challenge for people. Name any good things about Zelda, then name every single bad thing about her.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Why did you use Mario and Ike in your example? Why not Ike and Ike or Mario and Mario?
Mario also has guaranteed followups. While someone who's really mastered the Ganon matchup will tech almost every choke, it's definitely not a foregone conclusion that they won't miss at some point, making most characters vulnerable to F-Tilt and D-tilt.

To be honest, a character like Little Mac, Bowser, or Olimar would probably be a better example since they also have godawful tech rolls along with guaranteed followups. They're basically a best-case scenario when it comes to Choke. Characters like Ike and Sheik are the absolute worst-case scenario where Ganon has no guaranteed followups and they have really good, fast tech rolls. Here's the "Choke Flowchart" for a character like Sheik.
After landing a Choke:
If Sheik gets the full distance of her away tech (she'd get stopped at a ledge), you get absolutely nothing.

If she doesn't get the full distance:
Guess if she techs or not, if you guess wrong you get absolutely nothing.

If she techs:
Guess immediately what tech she does. if you guess wrong, you'll get punished, and get absolutely nothing

If she doesn't tech:
You do have a pretty decent chance of landing something now, but there's still nothing guaranteed.
Then Olimar get's Choked:
Olimar guide
What to do when Ganon lands Flame Choke on you:
Unplug controller. Grab controller and F-throw.
Even if Ganon didn't rely on Choke for landing grabs, I'd still dislike techable Choke just for how inconsistent it is. Getup options are almost totally consistent across the cast (AFAIK), and undeniably more consistent than techrolls.

TL;DR Techable Flame Choke was a bad idea and should be undone. (I can dream...)

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
There is no again this has always been a thing.
Which part? Not being able to control Luma if Rosalina is being grabbed and pummelled or not being able to control Luma if:
LUMA MECHANICS
LUMA
: Cannot be controlled while being thrown or taking damage
Patch 1.0.4: http://smashboards.com/threads/3ds-community-patch-notes-v1-0-4-engine-changes-to-di.378404/.

I don't know enough about Rosalina & Luma, but there are some things that could use more detail. To this day, I don't know if Falco's Blaster was ever changed and if it was, by how much since firing faster doesn't mean a whole lot without a comparison or raw data.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't get what Villager's weaknesses are relative to other projectile characters. He has the camp game they do, but unlike them he can kill really early, and has a good recovery and edgeguarding game. I don't see what they have that he doesn't. Only thing I can think of is that he's lighter than some of them.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Which part? Not being able to control Luma if Rosalina is being grabbed and pummelled or not being able to control Luma if:

Patch 1.0.4: http://smashboards.com/threads/3ds-community-patch-notes-v1-0-4-engine-changes-to-di.378404/.

I don't know enough about Rosalina & Luma, but there are some things that could use more detail. To this day, I don't know if Falco's Blaster was ever changed and if it was, by how much since firing faster doesn't mean a whole lot without a comparison or raw data.
Luma used to be able to interrupt grabs that was in animation (can do this to long grabs mewtwo's uthrow). So all that change did was remove that feature. So after 1.04 the rule was throw right away. If you had a quick pummel you could get away with a pummel (kirby). If you pummeled Rosalina and you didn't hit Luma you'd get hit out of the grab. Luma has always been able to break grabs when the opponent takes their sweet time. She can also break out of some tether grabs while you're being reeled in. If you've input the move before you're grabbed.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I don't get what Villager's weaknesses are relative to other projectile characters. He has the camp game they do, but unlike them he can kill really early, and has a good recovery and edgeguarding game. I don't see what they have that he doesn't. Only thing I can think of is that he's lighter than some of them.
Even if he's lighter, he's questionably quite heavy for someone of such a small size (only ONE unit less than Mario WTF).

His recovery actually wasn't THAT good from what I heard once you know how it works, apparently.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
So unless Zelda players come up with a magical combo, I think Zelda may as well be the bottom tier character in the game. It's a surprise they even nerfed her F-Air and B-Air, seeing as they could have kept it like they were in Brawl, faster and more powerful. It's a surprise that Zelda's attacks overall are worse (look at SSBWiki and there's more nerfs than buffs).

I have a challenge for people. Name any good things about Zelda, then name every single bad thing about her.
Zelda's Up-B is probably her best move.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Agreed. Unsure about :4littlemac:. I don't think :4sonic: hard counters him. His armored moves outright beat spindash. If :4sonic: wants to time him out then he probably could tho.

Always said this. :4sonic:'s advantage in this matchup is that he does not have to approach super often and can hold a lead. His disadvantage is landing and killing :4yoshi:. Whenever I've played :4yoshi: I have gone even with them tho (KDB, Raptor, Dunnobro). I feel it's at least 45-55 :4yoshi:'s favor.

:4sonic:'s worst matchup is definitely :rosalina:. He just can't get in or land vs her. Really sucks. I used to think :4zss: was bad till I realized the only thing one needs to look out for is grab, which is spotdodgeable/rollable on reaction. Played the matchup really stupidly before.
:018:
Foh with going even! We played once and I won ;P
Yoshi does win though

TriTails

Smash Lord
Mobility.

Other than that, I got nothing.

PJB

Smash Cadet
Villager with a standard grab is a top 5 character. Hell Japan thinks he's top 5 or 6 anyway lol

De Wolfe

Smash Cadet
Out of the projectile heavy characters Villager probably has the best kill potential but he still has a hard time reliably getting kills compared to the rest of the top tiers who get guaranteed stuff. Back throw is great but requires a hard read to land vs most of the cast. In high level Villager matches you will maybe see one or two landed grabs per stock which just goes to show how unviable that option is. Ledge and off stage control with turnip spikes and bowling balls are great but it can be difficult to get your opponent off stage and below you in the first place, especially the more speedy/movement heavy characters like Sonic and Pikachu. Bowling ball stuff in general is more in the realm of shenanigans than being a solid option. Apparently he has shield break potential with his Axe now but I'll wait until I see that in a real match before I believe it.

I think Villager is great but I hesitate to call him top 10. He has bad matchups vs Shiek, Rosa, Sonic and Pikachu for sure and he also has losing matchups against some more obscure characters further down the tier list. Megaman gives him lots of trouble and Palutena completely shuts him down. Toon Link beats him at his own projectile game in terms of being able to put more on screen at once. He definitely doesn't beat ZSS, Fox, Mario or Yoshi but I'm not sure if he outright loses to them.

With those sorts of matchup concerns I don't think hes top 10. I'd say around top 15. He lacks top player representation outside of Japan though and has tons more potential imo so who knows. On the plus side I think he does great vs Ryu, so if that becomes the new meta we could start seeing more Villys. Either way hes a really interesting and fun character. So glad a new projectile heavy, zoning archetype character made it into the game and is actually good. Coming from a Street Fighter/MVC3 background, projectile interaction and zoning in Smash is really interesting to me.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Mario also has guaranteed followups. While someone who's really mastered the Ganon matchup will tech almost every choke, it's definitely not a foregone conclusion that they won't miss at some point, making most characters vulnerable to F-Tilt and D-tilt)
Also isn't a tech still punishable if read?

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Also isn't a tech still punishable if read?
For most characters yes but the punishes are usually lighter (unless it's a character with a god awful tech roll like Bowser or Mac), some characters it's impossible to punish (Like Zelda & her insane tech roll).

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
On the topic of Ryu being retardedly broken, I see him held back (from being retardedly broken) by the fact that his out of dash options are bad at least for killing. His running speed is average, dash grab isn't any special and he can't kill out of a grab, dash attack kills deceptively late unless near the ledge, up smash combined with his running speed is not a threat unlike Fox's for example, and his rising aerials are no good except perhaps rar back air in some cases. If Ryu doesn't kill with SRK or down air and doesn't land a focus attack he has some difficulty landing a kill because he has to commit so hard for them despite just about half of his ground options killing before 120%. Out of his aerials bair is decently strong but it's awkward to space with it unpredictably because of his poor aerial acceleration and not being able to fade back after hitting with one unless you're already jumping into that direction. More often than you'd expect you see players live to the 150% area against good Ryus and still get grabbed and hit by his fair and other stuff without dying. Needless to say but I'll say it anyway, his horizontal recovery is another weakness and far from amazing.

Matchups vs Ryu and MK will simply be "**** that noise I'm not going in" and too many characters will be able to play that than they would like. I'll make a "brave" prediction and say Ryu still won't be top 5.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
On the topic of Ryu being retardedly broken, I see him held back (from being retardedly broken) by the fact that his out of dash options are bad at least for killing. His running speed is average, dash grab isn't any special and he can't kill out of a grab, dash attack kills deceptively late unless near the ledge, up smash combined with his running speed is not a threat unlike Fox's for example, and his rising aerials are no good except perhaps rar back air in some cases. If Ryu doesn't kill with SRK or down air and doesn't land a focus attack he has some difficulty landing a kill because he has to commit so hard for them despite just about half of his ground options killing before 120%. Out of his aerials bair is decently strong but it's awkward to space with it unpredictably because of his poor aerial acceleration and not being able to fade back after hitting with one unless you're already jumping into that direction. More often than you'd expect you see players live to the 150% area against good Ryus and still get grabbed and hit by his fair and other stuff without dying. Needless to say but I'll say it anyway, his horizontal recovery is another weakness and far from amazing.

Matchups vs Ryu and MK will simply be "**** that noise I'm not going in" and too many characters will be able to play that than they would like. I'll make a "brave" prediction and say Ryu still won't be top 5.
That's a weird criteria too pick at a character. Out of dash kill options? Despite you claiming ryu struggles in this area what exactly is preventing ryu from doing run up srk?

Have you played any good Ryu's before?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Unlike all of the other campers, Villager is juggled way too easily. The vast majority of his attacks are all horizontal, and his strongest moves (Timber and bowling ball) are only usable on the ground.

As a Zelda main, I can safely say that her specials are easily her best moves. She can camp with Din's Fire and Phantom Slash. The former has great range, speed, and power, and can be steered into your opponent. The latter, when fully charged, can kill opponents trying to recover. Naryu's Love is useful for reading; it can catch rolls, negate grabs, and get her out of combos by decreasing her fall speed. I don't really use Farore's Wind except to recover, but it automatically homes into opponents, making it difficult to avoid. If you land both hits vertically, it can kill a heavyweight at around 60%, no joke.

Many of Zelda's attacks are also quite strong, like the dash attack and up aerial. Her smash attacks are super safe on shield. Lightning Kick is a game finisher, is great in trades, and isn't that difficult to land. You can pull it out at a random time, the opponent won't know what hit them. The jab is good really good against approach. Finally, neutral aerial can stop opponent's attempts to juggle, and rack up a bit of damage.

One combo I like to do is, if my opponent is on the ground, down aerial to up smash. That's a reliable kill method.

Her flaws? Her weight is the only one I can think of.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I find it hard to believe villager is weak to juggling when he was the freedom to DI/Air dodge into the depths of hell, a respectable frame 3 nair, two pseudo dragon punches in uair/dair (only frame 8 but effectively halve his hurtbox sooner than that) and makes you feel pity for goliath as he peppers you with that slingshot if you try hovering in his horizontal zone while he retreats to the ledge.

Yea, he can't land on-stage as well as I guess diddy or ZSS but he isn't really in danger going offstage.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
That's a weird criteria too pick at a character. Out of dash kill options? Despite you claiming ryu struggles in this area what exactly is preventing ryu from doing run up srk?

Have you played any good Ryu's before?
I don't need to personally get grabbed by Ryu at 150% to say it doesn't kill.

If you read my post, you notice I described how running up smash isn't a threat with Ryu because of his average running speed. Running SRK is no no different despite coming out a few frames faster, you can react to Ryu dashing at you well before he can connect with an attack and it's punishable.

Out of dash options are important because it's how you truly threaten mid range. Ryu's has the most dangerous CQC in the game but you don't have much to fear while spacing him out with characters who have a strong zoning game, especially with disjoints.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Luma used to be able to interrupt grabs that was in animation (can do this to long grabs mewtwo's uthrow). So all that change did was remove that feature. So after 1.04 the rule was throw right away. If you had a quick pummel you could get away with a pummel (kirby). If you pummeled Rosalina and you didn't hit Luma you'd get hit out of the grab. Luma has always been able to break grabs when the opponent takes their sweet time. She can also break out of some tether grabs while you're being reeled in. If you've input the move before you're grabbed.
Did anything actually change with Luma breaking grabs in this patch?

I remember specifically testing how Luma behaves when Rosalina gets grabbed in the last patch and yes, she was always able to break them if you tried to pummel Rosalina and she was also able to break them if you input the attack slightly before the opponent grabbed you. What actually changed?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I don't need to personally get grabbed by Ryu at 150% to say it doesn't kill.

If you read my post, you notice I described how running up smash isn't a threat with Ryu because of his average running speed. Running SRK is no no different despite coming out a few frames faster, you can react to Ryu dashing at you well before he can connect with an attack and it's punishable.

Out of dash options are important because it's how you truly threaten mid range. Ryu's has the most dangerous CQC in the game but you don't have much to fear while spacing him out with characters who have a strong zoning game, especially with disjoints.
So name me some awesome outta dash options. I specifically addressed the parts of your post that I disagreed with. I think you need to play a decent to good ryu when before you talk about his recovery and "his bad outta dash options " no lie I'm almost 100 % certain you just made that crap up to make it sound as though you know what you're talking about.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
His tiny size and floatiness makes him hard to combo, and can crouch under neath sheik's needles and ZSS's tether grab. He also has a good match up against fox and falcon due to being fast fallers. He has some good matchups against top tiers, it's pretty strange how a mid tier pulls it off. I might just pick him up to see what the deal is with him.
I imagine there's more to these "good matchups" than being able to crouch and the opponents being fast-fallers?

I don't know Kirby, I won't comment on his viability either way, I'd just like you go into detail about these matchups and what makes them good.

As a Zelda main, I can safely say that her specials are easily her best moves.
I'm intrigued. Permit me play devil's advocate for a bit, okay?

She can camp with Din's Fire and Phantom Slash. The former has great range, speed, and power, and can be steered into your opponent.
She's incredibly vulnerable while using it. It doesn't project a hitbox until the fireball is produced, so everything between that is just a dead zone that Zelda can be punished in. Then there's the fact that it sends her into freefall off-stage, weakening its potential as a zoning option.

The latter, when fully charged, can kill opponents trying to recover.
True, but it's practically non-viable on stage. You just have to shield it and its use is mitigated. What really kills it for me is the fact that Zelda has to release it, she can't store it in the way that DK and Samus can store their neutral-b. It's very easy to read because of that; even off-stage, you can airdodge or time your recovery to evade both hitboxes. On top of that, reflectors make a joke of it.

Naryu's Love is useful for reading; it can catch rolls, negate grabs, and get her out of combos by decreasing her fall speed.
Vulnerable on shield, gets beaten by disjoints, practically requires a hard read to be useful. The fall speed / power-landing thing is pretty good though.

I don't really use Farore's Wind except to recover, but it automatically homes into opponents, making it difficult to avoid. If you land both hits vertically, it can kill a heavyweight at around 60%, no joke.
Except if your opponent knows where the R button is.

Being straight about it, it's easy to shield and very punishable if your opponent reads its trajectory. Farore's Elevator is very fun and has good kill potential, but again you need a hard read, otherwise it's free juggle potential for your opponent.

Many of Zelda's attacks are also quite strong, like the dash attack and up aerial.
Dash attack is decent, u-air is slow and easy to dodge but I guess the disjoint salvages it.

Her smash attacks are super safe on shield.
Except for d-smash, I don't think this is true.

Lightning Kick is a game finisher, is great in trades, and isn't that difficult to land. You can pull it out at a random time, the opponent won't know what hit them.
I don't think you can. It's a slightly easier-to-land version of Falcon's f-air, but it's still situational at best. The fact that she doesn't have a reliable b-air (it being a reverse f-air) means she's basically missing a potential CQC option, which Falcon does have in b-air.

The jab is good really good against approach.
Can't dispute this, jab is great.

Finally, neutral aerial can stop opponent's attempts to juggle, and rack up a bit of damage.
That's fair.

One combo I like to do is, if my opponent is on the ground, down aerial to up smash. That's a reliable kill method.
One combo doesn't a character make. Does she have other combo options?

Her flaws? Her weight is the only one I can think of.
I don't want to open the can of worms that is a discussion of Zelda's weaknesses, but I do think there's more to it than that.

Bear in mind I don't have a strong opinion of Zelda either way, nor I do think she's unsalvageable trash. Just trying to get a discussion going. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom