• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
I keep a higher judgement because of Japan/Europe's perceptions of him a bit, although there was a time I was starting to think very poorly of him. He has a lot of room to go down I guess.
Speaking of another weird zoning character that Japan thinks highly of, what're your thoughts on Villager? I'm not to sure on his ideal placement myself, but I was surprised to see you put him below R.O.B. and with characters like Greninja and DK.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
I'm on Ranai's stream and they think ZSS is best character, shiek #2.

Ryu #3 from shieldstun buffs. Ranai thinks Villager is #4.

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
So, how exactly does the shield stun work? Does your shield stun increase the more damage your shield takes, or is it always the same?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Relating back to Poyo's poor mental condition at the Xanadu yesterday as part of the reason he didn't do so well, I wonder how much success with a given character is determined by how "resistant" they are to mindset.

Like, if your head's not on straight you're not gonna do quite as well no matter what (see Zero at TBH5), but it's perhaps possible to argue that characters like prep-patch Luigi or hoo hah Diddy could still function better if your mental game was off, succeeding in the good times and the bad. Other characters that require more constant re-evaluation and judgment in terms of options, opponent habits, etc., that require your brain to be firing on all cylinders, would then be more greatly affected by changes in mental condition.

I think this might even be the foundation of certain disagreements over viability, in that some characters have a ton of tools at their disposal, but they might require more of a constant sharpness to one's mind that falters tremeondously if not enough thinking is happening. For example, this might be why there's so much disagreement over Marth's neutral game. He has plenty of tools and options to make the right decision at all times, but if you go on auto-pilot you're eating something fierce.
IMO characters that suffer the most from poor mental states:

Pac-Man
Megaman
Olimar
Mewtwo
Samus
Shulk
Lucas

Off the top of my head.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Pac-Man
Megaman
Olimar
Mewtwo
Samus
Shulk
Lucas

Off the top of my head.
Which is why I lose every time I get annoyed or upset.

Isn't that just characters that can't flowchart neutral?
Pretty much. If you have to constantly mix up and be creative with your setups/options, then the minute you lose your peace of mind, everything falls apart.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Problem was with Luigi, it isn't too hard to get the grab with his fireballs to setup, or his crazy fast aerials. Luigi also has jab to up b, a stupid upsmash, dsmash, bair, bthrow. Nerfing hss kill power seems logical.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Problem was with Luigi, it isn't too hard to get the grab with his fireballs to setup, or his crazy fast aerials. Luigi also has jab to up b, a stupid upsmash, dsmash, bair, bthrow. Nerfing hss kill power seems logical.
His kill power wasn't nerfed (besides tornado's light nerf), his kill setups were. Pretty key difference. Just from this patch and the last, upb and down air are more reliable move to kill with. He still has better kill moves than the majority of the cast!

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
His kill power wasn't nerfed (besides tornado's light nerf), his kill setups were. Pretty key difference. Just from this patch and the last, upb and down air are more reliable move to kill with. He still has better kill moves than the majority of the cast!
I didn't mean power as in brute strength but in the ability to kill.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Honestly, it was just the versatility of his down throw that needed to be nerfed; it was just far too good of a tool.

That said, some of his less important moves should be buffed a bit to make all of his moves useful in some way.

Like Green Missile. Seriously, that move is total garbage.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yoshi suffers greatly from a poor mental state. You have to be on-point all the time because he is very committal.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher

Pac-Man
Megaman
Olimar
Mewtwo
Samus
Shulk
Lucas

Off the top of my head.
I would put Duck Hunt on that list. If you're tilting, you won't be able to set up the frame traps you need to finish stocks, and you will quickly fall way behind. Also, the ever so common situation where you need a kill and your opponent is at high rage and you're both a solid hit away from killing despite you being at 60-80%. Playing Duck Hunt feels like a constant battle uphill.

Why do you say Lucas suffers from a poor mental state? Because people think he's bad?

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
I'm kinda hesitant to call ZSS #1 yet, it might happen eventually but she has problems vs Sheik and arguably some other top tiers as well like Diddy, Ness, Pikachu, Fox and Mario. I'd like to think the recent patch made the Ness MU easier though, he can't shieldgrab ZSS anymore and kill her with a ledge back throw at 70-80% even if her aerials are misspaced, but ZSS can still up b Ness' falling uair after powershield. In the future we might see Ness getting wrecked offstage by flip kick every time he has to resort to his up b similarly to Rosalina's gravitational pull except harder to execute, but flip kick's hitbox beats Ness' up b easily and there's plenty of time to react to it.

If we imagine a meta where you could survive past Sheik's 50:50s every stock she'd definitely not be the best in the game, but getting into those 50:50s is something that's really hard to avoid versus a character with such a good neutral game. It's similar to how ZSS is inconsistent, just with worse neutral and much heavier rewards; she either lands those crucial early kills on you once or twice a set or she doesn't. In the former case she'll most likely win the set versus anyone (it's just that the early kill setups are generally harder to connect the better the opposing character is) and in the latter case things tend to go either way as long as the opponent is a top ~10 character. ZSS would probably still sit somewhere around 5th-10th if her uair endlag was increased just enough so that it doesn't combo into up b and flip kick startup was increased just enough that it can't be comboed into after a nair. If Sheik lost her 50:50s which would only require dthrow to become bad, the effect might be similar, she'd still have her primary combo throw in fthrow so it wouldn't really affect much else. This is not to say that I think either should happen though. If there's one thing I'd like to be changed for both characters, it's their dthrows becoming weight dependant so that they don't utterly destroy heavyweights.

What comes to MK, he would probably be somewhere around 15th without the uair chains, similar to where he was before anyone but MK mains knew about them and their practical utility. The early kill setups really aren't what define any of these characters (ZSS, MK, Sheik because her 50:50s are early relative to her damage racking capabilities and her other kill options), they're just something that give them a sort of upset factor no matter what the scenario. Like said earlier, the wrong way to change MK would be to touch his dash attack or up b, those moves by themselves are fine and he needs them for damage and kills (especially DA into up b at higher %s). The uair chains are the only abusive thing about him and could be removed by just increasing uair damage a little bit and knockback with it. Things like these are controversial to complain about since the characters in question aren't too good in any way, but on the other hand those particular options are and overpowered options are never healthy for the meta. For instance I'd be up for removing MK's uair chains by buffing uair damage, and for additional compensation make his fair autocancel or something.

I'd also be up for making ZSS' up b weaker but make it connect better so that people don't slip out of it 90% of the time when ZSS has rage

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
What I always wondered about Luigi was his damage output. The damage he does in Smash 4, while still less than previous Luigis, wouldn't be out of place in Brawl or Melee.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Do any characters gain realistic shield break potential with the extra safety provided by the new shieldstun mechanics? Apparently shields have about 41 HP.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
*And shield HP most likely wasn't changed in any patch either. So assuming 50 HP was very stupid on our part.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I would put Duck Hunt on that list. If you're tilting, you won't be able to set up the frame traps you need to finish stocks, and you will quickly fall way behind. Also, the ever so common situation where you need a kill and your opponent is at high rage and you're both a solid hit away from killing despite you being at 60-80%. Playing Duck Hunt feels like a constant battle uphill.

Why do you say Lucas suffers from a poor mental state? Because people think he's bad?
Yoy go in with the mindset as the Dog that you likely may not end a stock before 170 in a game full of people with rage, kill confirms, practical gimps and spikes, kill throws, or plain brutish power. Just that truth weighs on you.

We also didn't get the weight or recovery to play this attrition game we were apparently meant to play.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I can totally agree with you there. I used to main Duck Hunt, and it was like trying to ride up a 90 degree angle on a recently oiled bike. With no chain.
Odd, I don't seem to have any trouble with using Duck Hunt. I just use his projectiles to set up some very good combos and even an RAR B-Air at times. If I use his ground attacks, especially his smash attacks, I want to often try making the opponent think, then hit them with a different attack than they might anticipate.

I don't spam projectiles willy nilly, and I tend to do better than those who do spam the projectiles. I try racking up damage and ending the opponent with a B-Air near the edge. He might not be a main to me, but I can perform well doing my own things with him; might not do much competitively, but I can still perform decently.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
In terms of the whole mental aspect of characters that I mentioned, I think there are a variety of factors at work so it's hard to rank in full detail how characters might be affected by this. For example meleebrawler meleebrawler lists Mega Man as an example, and I can agree to a fair extent, but Mega Man also happens to have qualities that make him fairly forgiving if he messes up: he's small, nimble, and fairly heavy, while also having perhaps the best "reset to neutral" attack in the game.

Diddy Kong, even though he's considered a much better character, is in kind of a similar boat. Diddy thrives on mixups and playing fairly freestyle, and gets hurt when playing too predictably. He of course gets greater reward off of outwitting his opponents, but it still requires winning that mental game in the first place, and that can be taxing.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It astounds me how many characters have low opinions attached to them.

Is the Sm4sh scene so small that not enough people are playing those characters, leading people to think they're awful?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I frankly think it's more like 42 or 43 but yes Shield HP wasn't decreased in the past few patches at least. If someone has 1.0.4 please come forward so we can do the attack equipment + fully charged smash attack testing. One thing is for sure: it was never as high as 50.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I just want to be clear on one thing

Do shield's have less HP than before?
As far as I know, they do not.
You

You sure it's 41 HP? I thought it was 50...
I actually made this video because I noticed inconsistencies with the numbers commonly posted on wikis and such. I clearly show the damage being done by the moves breaking shields beforehand. If your move(s) does 42% or more, it will break any shield, period.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
I'm kinda hesitant to call ZSS #1 yet, it might happen eventually but she has problems vs Sheik and arguably some other top tiers as well like Diddy, Ness, Pikachu, Fox and Mario. I'd like to think the recent patch made the Ness MU easier though, he can't shieldgrab ZSS anymore and kill her with a ledge back throw at 70-80% even if her aerials are misspaced, but ZSS can still up b Ness' falling uair after powershield. In the future we might see Ness getting wrecked offstage by flip kick every time he has to resort to his up b similarly to Rosalina's gravitational pull except harder to execute, but flip kick's hitbox beats Ness' up b easily and there's plenty of time to react to it.

If we imagine a meta where you could survive past Sheik's 50:50s every stock she'd definitely not be the best in the game, but getting into those 50:50s is something that's really hard to avoid versus a character with such a good neutral game. It's similar to how ZSS is inconsistent, just with worse neutral and much heavier rewards; she either lands those crucial early kills on you once or twice a set or she doesn't. In the former case she'll most likely win the set versus anyone (it's just that the early kill setups are generally harder to connect the better the opposing character is) and in the latter case things tend to go either way as long as the opponent is a top ~10 character. ZSS would probably still sit somewhere around 5th-10th if her uair endlag was increased just enough so that it doesn't combo into up b and flip kick startup was increased just enough that it can't be comboed into after a nair. If Sheik lost her 50:50s which would only require dthrow to become bad, the effect might be similar, she'd still have her primary combo throw in fthrow so it wouldn't really affect much else. This is not to say that I think either should happen though. If there's one thing I'd like to be changed for both characters, it's their dthrows becoming weight dependant so that they don't utterly destroy heavyweights.

What comes to MK, he would probably be somewhere around 15th without the uair chains, similar to where he was before anyone but MK mains knew about them and their practical utility. The early kill setups really aren't what define any of these characters (ZSS, MK, Sheik because her 50:50s are early relative to her damage racking capabilities and her other kill options), they're just something that give them a sort of upset factor no matter what the scenario. Like said earlier, the wrong way to change MK would be to touch his dash attack or up b, those moves by themselves are fine and he needs them for damage and kills (especially DA into up b at higher %s). The uair chains are the only abusive thing about him and could be removed by just increasing uair damage a little bit and knockback with it. Things like these are controversial to complain about since the characters in question aren't too good in any way, but on the other hand those particular options are and overpowered options are never healthy for the meta. For instance I'd be up for removing MK's uair chains by buffing uair damage, and for additional compensation make his fair autocancel or something.

I'd also be up for making ZSS' up b weaker but make it connect better so that people don't slip out of it 90% of the time when ZSS has rage
You know, people talk alot about how ZSS doesn't have an amazing neutral but tbh, I'm starting to see how that isn't really the case (especially now). ZSS has alot of good moves to use in the neutral (particularly nair, zair, b reverse neutral B and so on) that are pretty safe, and can lead into grabs which then leads to combos. So ZSS doesn't have to constantly go for risky grabs. The one shining advantage ZSS has over shiek is that she has a kill option at any percent practically. We have seen nairo pull it off regularly, it really is possible to kill people over the top (especially from on top of a platform) with landing the grab on sub 40%. Once she is beyond the point where upB won't consistently work (because with ZSS rage/opponent high percent, like you alluded to at the end, people can just slip out) instead, uair, utilt, bair, downb, all can kill and are relatively safe to use if used appropriately. Hence, you always have to respect the ZSS because they can kill you at almost literally any percent. IF I were to nerf her, reduce the knock back growth on her bair and uair so that it can't really be used as a kill move for when upB is inconsistent. (I believe in one of Nairo's last sets (in FAF), he grabbed someone at like 70%, and then killed them with a RAR bair. That imo is a little ridiculous).

Also, why do you say that Ness beats ZSS? Seems like ZSS has the ability to run circles around him, but I'd like to know the specifics on why. (Asking here since apparently, character boards aren't a good source for MU information).

Odd, I don't seem to have any trouble with using Duck Hunt. I just use his projectiles to set up some very good combos and even an RAR B-Air at times. If I use his ground attacks, especially his smash attacks, I want to often try making the opponent think, then hit them with a different attack than they might anticipate.

I don't spam projectiles willy nilly, and I tend to do better than those who do spam the projectiles. I try racking up damage and ending the opponent with a B-Air near the edge. He might not be a main to me, but I can perform well doing my own things with him; might not do much competitively, but I can still perform decently.
If you genuinely have no problems finishing off stocks vs quality tournament players, I could easily say you have to be the best DHD player. This problem is something DHD players like MVD for example have stated is the major thing limiting the character. If you really have set ups, or safe quick options (not a single option, like RAR bair) please let us know. Don't keep the key to DHD's metagame weakness to yourself.

Is the Sm4sh scene so small that not enough people are playing those characters, leading people to think they're awful?
IF you are referring to DHD, well having a lack of kill setup or confirms without something big to compensate does hurt a character's viability by alot. Look at Robin, most people would (rightfully so) place her in bottom 15 or 20 before the recent buffs. One dthrow to uair setup later, she is easily mid tier and (hopefully) will rise to high tier in most people's minds (similarly to Ike) when her metagame develops, and her mains get better. Whether or not DHD is bad or not doesn't change the fact that without an ability to consistently close stocks pre 170%, if you are gonna try to be successful with him in tournament play .............

Last edited:

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
You know, people talk alot about how ZSS doesn't have an amazing neutral but tbh, I'm starting to see how that isn't really the case (especially now). ZSS has alot of good moves to use in the neutral (particularly nair, zair, b reverse neutral B and so on) that are pretty safe, and can lead into grabs which then leads to combos. So ZSS doesn't have to constantly go for risky grabs.
Not to mention that her neutral comes out on frame 1....

And the only other character who's neutral comes out that fast is Little Mac's...

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
DHD does come to mind, but I'm really thinking about more than just the 'Shooter Three'.

Like Toon Link, Roy, Lucas, Marth, Greninja, Charizard...

They do have glaring flaws that hold them back, but they're no where near as terrible as people perceive them to be.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Robin's Dthrow Uair didn't even factor that hard, considering how pitiful his grab range is and how his Frame 7 jump squat made JC Usmashes very common, and made escaping Uair easier than one would expect.

It was a factor, yes, but not to the degree Dthrow -> whatever at low percents, Levin Fair buff, and Thunder lag reduction were. If they ever decided to cut Arcfire endlag he'd be a monster.

Last edited:

Boomstick720

Smash Rookie

I wouldn't call it small, but its still very young. That and it suffers from the same problem that Melee, and especially Brawl suffered from, in that tier lists become self fulfilling prophecies. The meta is simply too undeveloped to accurately depict the upper echelons of where each character can go. The "easiest" characters get learned the most quickly, and so are developed quickly, and their placement in terms of viability is generally over inflated in comparison to other characters, or they are forever stuck in the "not viable" category until a patch changes them up, which resets the whole process. You're beginning to see some development in many different characters, particularly ones that have many different "moving parts", like Rob, Pac Man, and even Shulk, all of whom have been seen as mid tier or lower at best, yet are slowly making their way up as people learn how to play them more effectively and "lab them out". I'd say all but the simplest characters today still are highly under developed, so people naturally assume that if you can't perform well with a character after playing with them for a month, they must be terrible.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
DHD does come to mind, but I'm really thinking about more than just the 'Shooter Three'.

Like Toon Link, Roy, Lucas, Marth, Greninja, Charizard...

They do have glaring flaws that hold them back, but they're no where near as terrible as people perceive them to be.
I don't think anybody thinks these are terrible characters.

Mediocre, maybe, in the case of Toon Link, but I've heard nothing but praise for Greninja recently.

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
Robin's Dthrow Uair didn't even factor that hard, considering how pitiful his grab range is and how his Frame 7 jump squat made JC Usmashes very common, and made escaping Uair easier than one would expect.

It was a factor, yes, but not to the degree Dthrow -> whatever at low percents, Levin Fair buff, and Thunder lag reduction were. If they ever decided to cut Arcfire endlag he'd be a monster.
Yeah, Robin would wreck house if that happened....

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Because the moment you get frustrated with him is the moment you start fishing for punishable grabs and usmashes in hopes of big payoff which leads to his downfall. In my experience at least.

In fact that's basically the mindset I had making the list; which characters suffer when they try to force stocks or damage without a clear plan.

Megaman's best kill moves besides bair are super laggy and punishable if misused, not to mention his metal blade game likely suffering.

Samus will throw out one too many dash attacks or fsmashes or shoot that reckless charge shot which gets reflected.
Mewtwo is also in a similar boat with shadow ball or fishing for throw kills/smashes or getting blown up on nair approaches.

Shulk may, again, go for reckless smashes, visions or what not plus will most likely not use his arts correctly, and get blown up on reckless nair approaches.

Olimar will not not manage his Pikmin properly or go for reckless air attacks/grabs.

And almost everything in Pac-Man's kit is designed to fail spectacularly if misused.

Other characters I thought of in this boat are Duck Hunt as some people mentioned, Wario (wasting waft, bike incorrectly, punishable smashes etc.), Jigglypuff and Ryu especially pre-patch when his aerials were punishable.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Yea like lucas and DHD actually have some pretty potent and technically consistent kill set-ups, but they die if they screw up while some top tiers retain the option to "wait and see" so they can avoid screwing up or even retaining frame advantage while screwing up.

I don't think DHD's very mentally demanding but I could just be used to him. His neutral is pretty easy and he has a lot of "obstacle course" type walls for the opponent to deal with, similar to luma. The issue stems from him just being bad, it doesn't matter how good your mentality is if you just can't do what you need to and DHD cannot kill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom