• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Routa

Smash Lord
There ia one thing that I have learned fighting against Yoshi and it is that ALWAYS RESPECT MULTIHIT DAIRS (mainly Yoshi's, Mario's and Swordfighter's). So many unnecessary shield breaks and deaths...

Also about moves that are respected... Well I think people respect some moves a bit too much *cough* Falcon Punch *cough*.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
First off, no one here is saying that MK's overpowered. People have told you that specifically, and yet you keep on saying that.
Does his games against Anti not count or something? He used him in 4/5 of the games.
That's ironic. You're telling them to calm down?
Sure they can say that they dont think MK is overpowered but reading into the posts themselves gives a totally different impression and it doesnt seem like im the only one who got it.

It always starts like this, I've seen it happen too much to not notice it. I hope that I'm wrong but I doubt it. If things keep going on the same pace this thread will be flooded with "nerf MK" posts just as it once was flooded with Luigi's. That is one thing I'm certain of.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
All you have to do to stop fireball spam is to perfect shield or jab them. It's not that hard
Jabbing projectiles generally leaves you at a disadvantage.
Sure they can say that they dont think MK is overpowered but reading into the posts themselves gives a totally different impression and it doesnt seem like im the only one who got it.

It always starts like this, I've seen it happen too much to not notice it. I hope that I'm wrong but I doubt it. If things keep going on the same pace this thread will be flooded with "nerf MK" posts just as it once was flooded with Luigi's. That is one thing I'm certain of.
By now I'm thinking that you get that impression because you want to get that impression. Seriously, you're reading too much into it. They're debating on MK's Luigi-ness and if changing him would be a good idea. That's it.

Last edited:

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
I really don't care how secretive you all are, you're full of **** if you're trying to tell me dash attack isn't a kill set-up outside of the true combo percentages.
My bad, about %120 and above it does become a 50/50 kill set up. I thought you meant that meta knight has a kill set-up in the Low to mid percent range. Usually most characters die between %90-119, because da to up b is a kill combo.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
My buddy plays Charizard religiously. I have seen what he can do. He has consistent killing power and good recovery, and is one of the best characters at sitting on a lead; he is willing to trade and put out armor for days, and in rage, he becomes absurdly strong. His issues run pretty deep, pretty piss poor neutral and the inability to keep up with and get in on the upper half of the cast is pretty bad. Aside from killing, there really isn't much to talk about here.

At least Ganondorf has some very strong moves like his up air and forward tilt that are consistently threatening and force you to play carefully. None of Zard's moves really fit that role, and as a heavy, that is bad. But, his grab is pretty great, so that helps. Not sure where I'd place him, but it doesn't really matter since he is far from a relevant threat. Like, he doesn't even have any tournament presence. VaBengalz used him in customs, I guess, and I'm not sure if Bloodcross even exists still.

I would be interested in seeing what Zard players think of his MU spread.
Not entirely sure how things are now with added shieldstun for Zard(probably worse) but Zard generally was like Ganon in that most of his high tier MUs are an uphill battle, but are still winnable outside of a couple exceptions. Mostly Zard has a very limited neutral and relies on his punish game to function. He can play defense very well but has issues with turtling opponents. Really rage is great for him and pre-patch you always had to be respectful of his shield. Against many high tiers he loses neutral badly but doesn't need many opportunities to end a stock, especially with rage, and lives quite a while vs. Sheik. Zero Suit cares nothing for his survivability and completely trashes him, so that's a huge problem for him. Going forward the shieldstun changes should hurt him overall, though I'm not sure how much, since his two biggest strengths in the grab-shield-attack RPS were his OOS game, which was directly nerfed, and his great grab reward, which was indirectly nerfed. He's generally lacking in safe pokes, and also isn't as much a threat to challenge opponents with hitboxes as someone like Ganon. Don't know how bad he'll be under the new shieldstun meta, but he already was pretty marginal at best, and will probably be completely irrelevant barring future buffs. Granted powershielding can somewhat work around this and his pokes do become a bit better, but these apply to everyone else too and I'm pretty sure he's a net loser here, even if he doesn't plummet to the absolute bottom. Zard is only remotely useful meta-wise if shields are strong, and even then it's an uphill battle.

Edit: tldr Zard's mediocre and probably getting worse from the shieldstun changes. Fun character but I don't see much in the way of tourney results in his future.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Nobody's saying MK is overpowered. I don't think anyone even thinks that he is.
When someone says
Also MK mains better hope Abadango doesn't start making waves in Japan with his MK since MK is one of those characters that abuses an overpowered minority of his kit (dash attack and uairs > up-b), while ignoring the rest of it.
And you respond
Completely, and wholly untrue. Name one move MK has that isn't good besides f-air.
All you do is emphasize his point. MK is good. He has good specs, and his moves are good. It's just that a few specific moves overshadow everything else to such an extent that you rarely, if ever, need to use them. Did prepatch Diddy have good stuff besides Dthrow and Upair? Yes, but there was little reason to use them. Does Luigi have good moves besides Dashgrab and Fireballs? Yes, but why risk it? Does Sheik have good moves besides Fair and Needles? Absolutely, but if you want to play safe, those are usually your best options. Etc. etc. The point being made is that the developers have clearly been patching out these kinds of overshadowing aspects, and I can definitely see that being changed, if they ever make changes to MK. Literally every MK I've seen has revolved around trying to get those low percent kills with Shuttle Loop. Do good MKs use other things? Yes, but they'd also love to get crazy low percent kills if they can.

And I personally don't think any character should have such a reliable way to get crazy low percent kills onstage, especially when we only get 2 stocks per game.

Question: http://oddshot.tv/shot/tourneylocator-2015100417726930 ignoring the obvious fact that he could have teched, just account for the Uptilt at 40% that lead into Upair strings into death. Could he have DI'd that? (although if you don't ignore the missed tech, you could say that Ike got killed for getting Dash Attacked at 19%, huehuehue)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There ia one thing that I have learned fighting against Yoshi and it is that ALWAYS RESPECT MULTIHIT DAIRS (mainly Yoshi's, Mario's and Swordfighter's). So many unnecessary shield breaks and deaths...

Also about moves that are respected... Well I think people respect some moves a bit too much *cough* Falcon Punch *cough*.
I just don't think it's good practice to challenge anything that can potentially put you in an intense disadvantage state, beyond being totally sure that it's going to pay off, or if the reward outweighs the risk.

Re: Falcon / Warlock Punch, I guess there's a psychological factor there? Nobody wants to be the idiot that got hit by the punch because they got too c*cky (why is this filtered) and ran in to go ham.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Really enjoy this thing where people are so amazingly terrified of their character getting nerfed that they attempt to aggressively shut down any discussion about how good their character is.

Question: http://oddshot.tv/shot/tourneylocator-2015100417726930 ignoring the obvious fact that he could have teched, just account for the Uptilt at 40% that lead into Upair strings into death. Could he have DI'd that? (although if you don't ignore the missed tech, you could say that Ike got killed for getting Dash Attacked at 19%, huehuehue)
An MK main can (and will) correct me, but i believe that once he gets going DI can't save you, it can only confuse the MK player into dropping the combo. But as long as they read what direction you DI, they can keep juggling you. I believe there was one time last weekend Abadango showcased that very easily because he had to turn around in the middle to continue the string. I know for a fact you can DI the first hit of shutte loop. But you can also aim the second hit.

(it might not have been at TBH proper, it may have been at the Thursday weekly beforehand.)

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Ryu says hi.

The man with the REAL Dragon Punch.
Honestly, I hope Ryu becomes more popular and the hype factor of Shoryken dies down so people can better evaluate how crazy this move is. 9B using true Shoryken 2-3 times in a row and getting away with it gave me Brawl Shuttle Loop flashbacks.

On an unrelated note, you never explained why you thought Greninja was top tier.

biribiri

Smash Cadet
On an unrelated note, you never explained why you thought Greninja was top tier.
From the Greninja MU boards:
Top 15 imo. Imo safe ground poke in ftilt and safe aerial poke in Nair is what he needed. I gotta test kill confirms off nair when I get home. If he has some truly devastating ones then yeah he is probably top of high tier at worst,

All imo of course.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
User was warned for this post

Okay guys you have to see this. Bladewise was my teammate for Smash 4 dubs and he told me in Melee he had to use Level 9 Ganon as a teammate and he actually got out of pools! He eventually got a real teammate and took 4th. This set is hilarious. The rest of the sets off stream with lvl 9 Ganon he did win.

Last edited:

Green L

Smash Apprentice
Easier to throw them out though.
So are link's arrows, doc pills etc. Luigi's gameplan of fireballs and dash grab is a gross overexaggeration. Only doing that as luigi would guarantee your failure. That's like me saying all Link mains do is spam rolls and arrows. Bad luigi mains get owned by more skilled players. As overrated luigi was, no one took the luigi mains skill in account which is offensive to luigi players

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So are link's arrows, doc pills etc. Luigi's gameplan of fireballs and dash grab is a gross overexaggeration. Only doing that as luigi would guarantee your failure. That's like me saying all Link mains do is spam rolls and arrows. Bad luigi mains get owned by more skilled players. As overrated luigi was, no one took the luigi mains skill in account which is offensive to luigi players
Pretty confident Link's arrows or Doc's pills don't lead into anything... Actually, I don't think either is nearly as safe as Luigi's fireballs.

I honestly never cared about Luigi's fireballs in the matchup. Pit just jumps and shoots until Luigi gives up. I do know that Luigi was cancer to a lot of characters though, and I believe the nerf was justified. Although like Diddy, I expect to see some buffs in the future. Maybe they'll make the tornado easier to mash...

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Pretty confident Link's arrows or Doc's pills lead into anything... Actually, I don't think either is nearly as safe as Luigi's fireballs.

I honestly never cared about Luigi's fireballs in the matchup. Pit just jumps and shoots until Luigi gives up. I do know that Luigi was cancer to a lot of characters though, and I believe the nerf was justified. Although like Diddy, I expect to see some buffs in the future. Maybe they'll make the tornado easier to mash...
Yeah Doc's pills mostly jab reset/control space (albeit quite mediocrely)

They are not even COMPARABLE to how good Luigi's fireball still is.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
We get it. Luigi was nerfed. Let it go.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Arrows don't lead to...anything, really. I'd believe him more if he was talking about bombs or something. It can't rack up damage well, or lead to kills, or grabs.

Routa

Smash Lord

Okay guys you have to see this. Bladewise was my teammate for Smash 4 dubs and he told me in Melee he had to use Level 9 Ganon as a teammate and he actually got out of pools! He eventually got a real teammate and took 4th. This set is hilarious. The rest of the sets off stream with lvl 9 Ganon he did win.
Leeeeeel!

Lvl 9 Ganondorf will soon be beating Mang0s ass. No one will be safe!

But Luigi's green balls *giggle* are super safe. Comparing Luigi's Fireballs to Doc's pills is like comparing Wario's recovery to Mac's recovery.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I think this patch was mixed for Zard. He hates any change that makes shielding worse. His strong OoS game (fast ranged grab with a combo and kill throw, Fly, Nair) is one of his biggest assets and it's now quite a bit worse. Projectiles causing more blockstun makes it harder to get in with him as well. On the other hand, high damage moves benefit the most from the shield nerf and Zard has plenty of those. Flamethrower is a lot more annoying and Rock Smash can eat shields extremely well.

Overall I don't see him moving much. His ZSS MU probably got even worse though.

Green L

Smash Apprentice
They are not even COMPARABLE to how good Luigi's fireball still is.
I can't believe luigi is still overrated. He's just a worse mario now. Just powershield and punish accordingly. It's simple. NOTHING was guaranteed from fireballs. You must have the reflexes of a dead cat if you get caught by fireball to grab with luigi being so slow

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
That wasn't the point he was making. Luigi's fireballs always have been and still are unquestionably better than Mario's fireballs and Doc's pills. And Fireballs can be chased and shot at mid range, plenty of time to follow up. Dunno if it's the case anymore.

PND

Smash Champion
I can't believe luigi is still overrated. He's just a worse mario now. Just powershield and punish accordingly. It's simple. NOTHING was guaranteed from fireballs. You must have the reflexes of a dead cat if you get caught by fireball to grab with luigi being so slow
You can tell if a character is bad if their mains are constantly trying to convince you they are good.
You can tell if a character is good if their mains are constantly trying to convince you they aren't.

Pyr

Smash Lord
You can tell if a character is bad if their mains are constantly trying to convince you they are good.
You can tell if a character is good if their mains are constantly trying to convince you they aren't.
Don't lump the rest of us with him. Lol. It's taken everything I've had to not rip into him for just how much bad info he's trying to pass off.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
I swear MK is still good in smash 4

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
So...Zelda's actually good, then?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Oh, his fireballs are less safe on shield now? Good because Doc's got worse too, they had the same multiplier.

Doc's pills are not even comparable to Luigi's fireball at all. I wish I could have an IASA of 43 (instead I'm stuck with an IASA of 53 AND slower grounded movement options from it! Fun!)

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Alright mate, it's about time we've had an intervention. Look, as Luigi main, I was really salty about this new patch too. Hell, I still am (No Sheik nerfs my ass). But it's about time that we all put on our big boy pants and look at the positives. Now, obviously, we've been sent down a few ranks in viability, but we still have quite a few niches that make us more than just a worse mario. For one, our aerials are better. We both have a combo breaking Nair, yes. But ours can kill. Mario's Fair is a one way trip to hell, but our Fair has great range, speed, and can link into each other. It's overall more versatile than mario's Fair if you ask me. Dair gets a spike while mario's Dair is a luigi cyclone that does less damage and can't recover (though apparently our Cyclone was nerfed a bit, so hush my mouth I suppose about the damage). And while our Uair can't juggle, it does more damage, and we have other aerials to compensate. Which brings me to Bair, which is just blatantly better than Mario's.
Now, to the next point: we still have a better damage racking game than mario. I've been using Post-Patch Luigi and we can now D throw into smash attacks and then regrab if we're fast enough. And at later percents we still have the D throw combos such as D throw into Uair into Nair. Or just a double Fair if you're the kind of guy who hates creativity (in which case, Brawl is just over there. Have fun with MK). Our troubles really come with killing. Which, oh my gosh, Mario has that problem too. Mario 0.5 confirmed! But, getting back on track. All it takes is a good read. We also have a shiny new toy of a killing move that mario doesn't have when it comes to reads: Up B. Theory crafting ahead, but I hope to look forward to Boss tech chasing and using our signature disrespect move to great success. And, while it can be easily gotten out of if the opponent knows what you want to do, jab cancel (I think that's the correct term. Sue me if I'm wrong) into up B can come as quite the surprise. So we technically have more killing potential than mario as well.
Last two things to cover is A) we still have the superior fireballs so mario can suck on that and B) we have the better recovery. While our recovery might as well be saying, "come on and gimp me, boys!" in a really seductive way, it's still much better than marios. And even though we sacrifice the utility of the cape (and FLUDD if you're into using him. Though I have to say: Cyclone gimping > FLUDD any day) I'd say it's worth it to a point.
Now, with all of these things said, Mario is still the more viable character at this point. The stronger neutral game and extremely increased mobility/heavily buffed traction alone is enough to make him worth using more. Luigi isn't as outclassed as people (and admittedly I) have been saying. He's still good in his own right and if you want to keep complaining about his nerfs, then go right ahead. But if you'd excuse me, I'm going to relearn my favorite character (though I think for now he'll be a secondary, though. For some reason, I'm just drawn to Falco's playstyle right now. Perhaps because I try to play him like a mix between my yoshi and Luigi and do it to some degree of success. Don't ask me how I came to that playstyle...)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh, his fireballs are less safe on shield now? Good because Doc's got worse too, they had the same multiplier.

Doc's pills are not even comparable to Luigi's fireball at all. I wish I could have an IASA of 43 (instead I'm stuck with an IASA of 53 AND slower grounded movement options from it! Fun!)
but but they go farther that'll balance them out right?

This is additionally why I think he functions very well as a secondary/second-rate usage character. When you're not going solo Doc you don't have to worry about these things every game and you can play to his strengths quite well individually. He's actually very potent in this way, I think.
The Japanese apparently view Mewtwo similarly, he may not have the best attributes for winning consistently against top tiers but he can zone and counter-zone pretty well and space too against characters that are risky to go in on. Or decisively win almost anything with the right reads.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's arrows can lock hard landings that aren't teched but other than that they don't lead into anything.
Where do you all think Link and Doc stand in viability? Do they just have to many Bad MU's to stand a chance?
Link is safer after the patch but I still can't see him as solo viable. He can make a splash at regionals (see Scizor) but probably not nationals. Other characters have easier setups and are better.
IMO Link is at the upper end of the underwhelming category.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
B-Throw kills at 120-130% at the edge of the stage..

Dsmash killed at around the same damage but no where near as close..

Up B needs a read..

Fsmash also does.

But saying he isn't high tier because he needs reads to kill and flat out stupid.

I guess Sheik is bottom tier. /s
Okay, it seems like you and @DunnoBro misread my post... my fault for using a double-negative. I'm saying that Mario *is* high tier.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Plus there are other advantages Olimar had against Diddy as shown by Dabuz, but he doesn't display the same strengths vs the game's current top 3; I would say he loses solidly to Sheik and Rosalina, and would assume he loses to ZSS but I don't know enough to say.
Nobody replied to this a few pages back so why not.

It is unanimously agreed upon by both Rosalina and Olimar mains that Olimar wins that matchup. If the Rosalina doesn't understand Olimar all that well, it's usually a blowout, as in -2 or maybe even -3. As it is, if the matchup is understood, it's -1 for Rosa, but ONLY because Olimar has a godawful disadvantaged state. It's really easy to juggle him and gimping Olimar is very easy as Rosalina if you know what to do. However, Rosalina can't really approach Olimar at all. All her approaches have a counter by Olimar and she can't do much in neutral, which is her strongest point in most matchups.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I dunno... I think her lack of kill power is offset by how fast she can wrack up damage and how many safe kill options she has. It does take her awhile to kill people on average but she's fantastic at putting pressure on and her consistently getting 30-60% in a string of attacks is not the least bit unusual. Even if it takes time, Sheik tends to have the advantage because she can constantly be on you until you or her die.
I also want to add that :4mario::4pikachu: :4diddy:have one of the better MU against :4sheik: [ I would also like include Rosalina just because of her high knock-back aerials which can kill sheik before sheik kills her :[.] However If you look at other MU's Sheik simply overwhelms the opponent to a point where she going to kill you eventually due to 50/50's, kill confirms, safety and most likely not die due to her pressure game being bonkers; Exhibit A :4zss: (Just watch Set 2 of Grand Finals at Big House and see how many times Nairo gets overwhelmed by her). Exhibit B :4luigi:[Pre-Patch] Exhibit C :4falcon: etc... So yeah Sheik having trouble killing can show when characters don't get blown away by her neutral / advantage state, but that doesn't stop the fact she have multiple 50/50's and kill setups to a point where sheik can get a kill early or late due to her opponent having to much percent.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Not entirely true, though. You have cases where a character is considered bad only because they're assumed to be, and it turns out the people maining them are actually on to something.

Case in point: Meta Knight and Olimar, and who knows who else?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm guessing the shield breaker nerf is more so that Marth can't just hit a tipper nair/fair/dancing blade mixup into shield breaker for easy breaks.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I also want to add that :4mario::4pikachu: :4diddy:have one of the better MU against :4sheik: [ I would also like include Rosalina just because of her high knock-back aerials which can kill sheik before sheik kills her :[.] However If you look at other MU's Sheik simply overwhelms the opponent to a point where she going to kill you eventually due to 50/50's, kill confirms, safety and most likely not
Rosalina has always lost to Sheik. This is especially apparent post patch where D-tilt is punishable by drop shield and dash attack. Rosalina also can't run up shield as much anymore, which was a big point of dealing with needles. Rosalina is destroyed in the frame data department too. Rosalina has a much worse offstage game too. We don't have too much as a GTFO thing except an occasional Luma intervention which is hugely inconsistent

All we really have against Sheik is superior kill power. That's it. Sheik has superior everything and punishes us for playing neutral. I don't feel like making a huge matchup post but I disagree with you when you say that Rosalina has one of the better Sheik matchups. A trend I've noticed for Rosalina this patch is that her easy matchups got easier and her hard matchups got harder, which is as true as ever against Sheik.

Also why isn't Lucario on your list? I've heard that it's a pretty decent matchup against Sheik.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Rosalina has always lost to Sheik. This is especially apparent post patch where D-tilt is punishable by drop shield and dash attack. Rosalina also can't run up shield as much anymore, which was a big point of dealing with needles. Rosalina is destroyed in the frame data department too. Rosalina has a much worse offstage game too. We don't have too much as a GTFO thing except an occasional Luma intervention which is hugely inconsistent

All we really have against Sheik is superior kill power. That's it. Sheik has superior everything and punishes us for playing neutral. I don't feel like making a huge matchup post but I disagree with you when you say that Rosalina has one of the better Sheik matchups. A trend I've noticed for Rosalina this patch is that her easy matchups got easier and her hard matchups got harder, which is as true as ever against Sheik.

Also why isn't Lucario on your list? I've heard that it's a pretty decent matchup against Sheik.
I can only imagine what an Anti/ZeRo level Lucario would look like in the Sheik matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom