• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yikarur

Smash Master
So the way I see it, the Yoshi community has been in constant denial over their character since the release of Brawl and I consider that to be extremely scrubby. Feel free to disagree if you must but I'll tell you one thing: it's no coincidence that those members of the Yoshi community that do not fit into that stereotype and have remained level-headed about their character [like Slice and Raptor], are just about the only ones that would perform well with the character in both Brawl and Smash 4.
I don't know if you know about it but especially Slice is crying for buffs and how Yoshi is not enough and how it's impossible for him and Yoshi to beat actual good players. He started playing Pikachu for that reason. I don't even understand why you always mention Slice because he didn't perform outstanding yet except for the small austrian tournaments but austria is free :p

I mean if we're talking about Yoshi's flaws that's fine. But if Yoshi's 'bad' neutral game [which consists of the best command grab in the game, an amazing jab, an incredibly good nair and a very good dash attack] is enough to place him somewhere between 12th and 15th these days then how come nobody denies Fox rightful place in the top 8 despite his seriously bad disdavantaged state and abusabe recovery? There's clearly a double standard here and a lot of the time it's the Yoshi players' fault for overemphasizing his weaknesses and failing to mention that the character has tons of strengths to make up for them.
[/quote]

To be honest I think Yoshi would be pretty bad without egg lay and that's a frame 22 command grab. I think Warios is far better, because it directly beats attacks and spotdodges.
Yoshis problem in comparison to for example Fox is his high short hop combined with his slow fall speed.
If you jump with Yoshi you just did a high commitment. The moment you leave the ground your options are limited. Fox for examlpe can short/full hop upair, bait airdodges and return to the ground immediately and punish with any move.
Yoshi takes too long to be a threat most of he time. And because of Yoshis high short hop he always suffers hard landing if you SHFF.
I think this forced linerarity is Yoshis biggest weakness. But his traits somehow compensate that.
Yoshi would still need a kill throw to be a real top tier character though.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Welp I promised myself I wouldn't make myself a tier list but since so many people are making tier list in this thread I
Might as well.

Before I start I would to state a few things.

1. I'm fully aware of:

So I'll make explanations for as much characters as I can. I can't put one for every character since not only would that take for ever but it would also take up the writing limit for this post if there's one. If death is still my punishment then I will embrace it(Not being literal here)

2. This list is highly opinionated like every tier list these days. So their's chance's that alot of people aren't going to agree with everything I place which is fine we all have different opinions for tier's/viability. So I know some people are going to think my tier list is way off or X character's to low or X character's to high.

3. This tier list will involve no customs, no mii's, and this tier list will not be in order. character's are only based on the tier their in if two character's are in the same tier then that doesn't mean x character is higher then y character.

With that out of the way it is time to start up this bad boy

Top Tier: place's 1-5

S: :4sheik:

S-: :4zss::4pikachu::rosalina::4ness:

High Tier: place's 6-15

A: :4fox::4luigi::4sonic::4diddy::4mario:

A-: :4falcon::4metaknight::4yoshi::4wario2::4rob:

High Mid Tier: Place's 16-25

B: :4olimar::4villager:(:4pit::4darkpit:):4myfriends:

B-: :4lucario::4peach::4pacman::4greninja::4tlink:

Mid Tier: Place's 26-35

C: :4marth::4ryu::4feroy::4lucas::4dk::4bowserjr::4megaman::4kirby: :4robinm::4falco:

Low Mid Tier: Place's 36-42

D: :4gaw::4wiifit::4shulk::4charizard::4drmario::4bowser::4link:

Low Tier: Place's 43-50

E: :4ganondorf::4dedede::4duckhunt::4lucina::4littlemac::4palutena::4mewtwo::4samus:

Bottom Tier: Place's 51-52

F: :4jigglypuff::4zelda:

Reasons:

:4sheik:(The new SM4SH king Queen): Hands down the best character in the game.. She has the best neutral out of the whole cast, ridiculous amount of 50/50's, great edgeguarding, needles, her infamous fair, and has no bad matchup's whatsover. she also has amazing tournament result's placing high/winning alot of tournaments having huge rep's most notable being false, mr r, and zero. Despite being the best she doesn't rule the metagame like melee fox or brawl metaknight were in their respected games.

:4zss:(The Space Booty): Great mobility, amazing kill confirms, great spacing, great rushdown game, amazing disadvantage state, and a god like recovery. ZSS is just an amazing character in almost everyway. Her only flaw is the fact that her grab is very bad. not her followups off of it but rather the grab itself. Since it's a thether grab it usually comes off very laggy however the trade off is range. if zss had a normal grab then she'd be on par with sheik. zss has alot of reps with the most notable one being nairo who's just killing with this character right now.

:4pikachu:(The 64 King): amazing speed, great combo ability, quick attack, amazing disadvantage state amazing recovery, great Kill confirms, one of the best edge guarding tool's in the game, and a very small size making him hard to hit against tall characters and aerials. Despite these amazing attributes pikachu really doesn't have much reps. His most notable rep is mr esam who just straight up carries this character to success.

:rosalina:(The Space Waifu) : Disjointed hit's, amazing priority, kill confirms off of fast falled fair, best rapid jab in the game, little cooldown on down b, jab desynchs and mother****ing luma. Luma is basically the number 1 reason why this character is so good. Not only does luma increase's rosalinas hitbox but it also protect's her from zoners/rushdowners and hits like a truck. Rosalina biggest fault's is that her up b doesn't have a hitbox making her quite easy to edgeguard if she isn't to careful as well as the fact that she's very light and quite tall. Rosalinas most notable rep is mr Dabuz who's place's very high in tournaments with her.

:4ness:(The Onett Boyz): Great spacing with aerials, great edgeguarding, pk thunder mind games, scary ledge pressure, and the best kill throw in the game being able to kill character's as lows as 80% near the ledge(with rage of course). This maybe a rather controversial placement but hear me out on this. Now alot of people think ness isn't top 5 because of his recovery and the rosalina matchup but let me explain why those shouldn't be reason to not put ness in top 5. Yes ness's pk thunder can be stopped if you just touch it, use a projectile against it, or absorb it but let me tell you this... Why is it that most people outside of rosalina mains, villager mains, and ness mains themselves don't attempt this consistently. It's because they're scared of getting hit by pk rocket. The fact that ness can easily kill if you screw up trying to gimp off stage is something alot of players fear. Until people outside of rosalina mains, villager mains, and ness mains start taking advatnage of ness's recovery and put aside the fear of getting killed by ness's pk rocket I'll still consider ness top 5. Now for the rosalina matchup. I think @Dabuz said it best:

Speaking of matchups ness only has 4 bad matchups out of 55 character's those being Sheik, Rosalina(as mentioned before), Sonic, and (arguably)Luigi. Beside's those 4 character's who else really beats ness?

And as for rep's ness has alot of them most notably Fow and Nakat and both of the place rather high in tournaments

:4fox:(The Melee King): amazing mobility options, great combo ability, can make the most use of empty short hop grabs due to his falling speed, Amazing neutral game being only behind diddy and sheik, one of the best perfect pivot's in the game, great approaches, and Has the most kill confirms in the game some of which are guaranteed( to even list all of them would be an essay worth). the reason why I don't think Fox should be top 5 is because of the fact that he's very light and easy to combo because of his falling speed and due to his predictable recovery he is quite easy to edgeguard/gimp off stage. These are some very major weakness's. While people might say.. but tundra? isn't ness's recovery easy to edgeguard too? yeah but it's like I said ness's pk rocket can get you killed if you screw up however fox's doesn't. fox's recovery is rather easy to edgeguard. if fox tries to side b to the ledge you can just nair/fair him out of it. and if he tries to recovery with up b.. Well if the fox doesn't know how to tech.. he's screwed.. Fox's has quite a few reps most notably DEHF, Megafox, nakat, and Niento.

:4luigi:(The Green Cyclone): Despite the fact that I hate fighting this character being a fox main and all I do have to admit that luigi is a bit overrated. Sure he has a really long dash grab, fireballs has ridiculous combo's of off throws, and down throw to green cyclone/down throw to bair is the worst thing in the god damn planet. Luigi does seem to have alot of problems. For starters luigi has ridiculous traction makes it a bit hard for him to punish character's, has the worst airspeed as well as being floaty making easy to chase in the air, and he suffers against zoners/campers. I mean he has bad matchups against the likes of megaman and pacman. If luigi had the speed of falcon like speed then this wouldn't really be a problem but he doesn't. Luigi also is starting to lose reps as of late with his only notable reps being B0$$ and Mr CC. If luigi's bad matchups were to appear alot more often then I might have to move him down a tier.

:4sonic:(The Blue Blur): The fastest thing alive and the master of time outs. Sonic has a speed of 3.5 which is the fastest speed in the game, spin dash, springs can gimp with ease, Amazing recovery with spinshot, and all around an annoying playstyle. While theirs aggressive sonic mains like 6WX sonic is best played as a hit and run character. If he get's a stock lead then prepare to rip out your hairs cause sonic can run away for the whole match and theirs nothing you can do about it. Sonic doesn't have any kill confirms(thank god) and his kill options/damage output has been getting nerfed over the months. Sonic's most notable reps are 6WX(as mention before) and StaticManny.

:4diddy:(The Former Sm4sh King): Despite the fact that Diddy lost his infamous HOO HA and got nerfed badly twice. I still think diddy is a really good character. He has the second best neutral game imo, amazing stage control, great kill confirms most of which involve bananas. Diddy's combo game is also still pretty good. Yeah his up air and down throw have alot more lag then what they used to but their still great for comboing. Diddy also has up throw to up air which can kill if diddy's in the top platform of battlefield, Dreamland, or even Halbred. Diddy's most notable rep's are mvd, angel cortez and surprisingly zero even though he mostly plays sheik.

:4mario:(The Red Plumber Shoto): This character is just the definition of solid. Mario is good in just about everything but doesn't excel at anything. Except for his combo game which he excels at. Mario also doesn't have any general weakness's which is always a plus. Mario is also one of the only characters who can hold his own against sheik yeah it's not in his favor but he cans still do extremely well. Mario is also does well against pikachu having the matchup be in his favor. Mario himself has a rather great matchup spread as he doesn't really have many bad matchups against most characters. He even does well against most of the top tiers. His only bad real matchup is of course luigi but even then it ain't as bad as you'd think. Mario has quite a few reps with his most notable being Ally who is one of canadas finest and even m2k is starting to main him so that's also counts for something.

:4falcon:(Mr HYEZZ): 2nd fastest character in the game, a dash grab so jank that one could compare it to marth's grab range in melee, great air mobility, amazing grab game in general, great edgeguarding, raptor boost is really good for baiting spot dodge 's, amazing fox trots, and early knee setups. also on top of that he has a kill throw. Falcon isn't without his fault's though. Falcon is very easy to edgeguard having one of the worst recoveries in the game, very easy to combo, can be combo'ed into upsurd %, and has really bad matchups against character's like sheik and pikachu.

:4metaknight:(The Brawl King): Seems like metaknight became really popular ever since leo beaten mr r in that one tournament am I right? So why do I think metaknight this high? Well for starter's he's very fast, has 4 recovery moves, 5 jumps, dash attack and f smash being lagless is just nuts, and Dash attack to up b is just stupid. Metaknight design alone being fast, have multiple jumps, and have 4 recovery moves alone should make him a good character the fact that people thought he was a bad character in the first place because he wasn't brawl metaknight is disappointing. I'm not gonna point out any names but for those who thought metaknight was a bad character in this thread.. you know who you are. Metaknight is also getting alot of reps with many players like nakat and mr r starting to pick him and do good with him and ITO who's just been dominating with this character.

:4yoshi:(The Silent Dinosaur): And yet another controversial placement. Alot of people either see him as top 10, top 15, or even below top 20. We got yoshi mains saying he's not as good as most people come to believe he is and we have other people saying that yoshi is a potential top 10. So where do I stand? Well if you saw the tier list I'm pretty sure you'd know what I think about him now. Now during the early 3ds day's of smash I used to be one of the blind ones thinking oh man yoshi's so OP BRUH, he's so safe, egg's are dumb as shizz my nizz. I even thought the yoshi vs fox matchup was a nightmare hell for fox. but then I realized how vulenerable yoshi really is after fighting some pretty good yoshi mains on a few online tournaments. For starter's his neutral game is a bit meh, most of his aerials except for uair and nair come out a bit slow, Eggs are also meh, a pretty bad grab game, and he does have trouble killing certain character's. So why do I consider him top 15. Well his combo game is fairly good, Nair is fairly safe if spaced correctly which is easy due to his amazing airspeed, Fair has a pretty long range and is auto cancel able despite the long startup, his disadvantage state is amazing, Jab is really safe and can setup frame traps, and jab to up smash is a thing. Outside of Japan yoshi has no major reps. His most notable rep is raptor and even then he doesn't win major tournaty's. Esam is thinking of picking up yoshi so that could help our dinosaur out a bit.

edit: Esam has dropped yoshi since he thinks yoshi might sink him in tournaments and pikachu is enough to place high in tournaments thx for the heads up slav

:4wario2:(The Loud and Proud): Wario is a pretty ridiculous character. Wario has the fastest command grab in the game, Amazing air mobility, amazing recovery, Bike makes wario extremely mobile, the infamous waft, unpredictable.
Wario's only flaw's is that he doesn't have a combo throw and his combo game isn't really that great. But when you have amazing attributes like an amazing command grab and a waft that can steal games then who even needs to have a combo game. warios most notable reps are Reflex and Abadango.

:4rob:(The Terminator): R.O.B.S zoning kit is just top notch, he has a 50/50 with down throw to up air aka robo HOO HA, up throw is a good kill throw, good oos option wih up smash, and gyros/lasers give amazing R.O.B stage control. R.O.B.S biggest flaw is that once he get's rush down he's gonna have a hard time getting. This is especially noticeable against character's like Sheik, ZSS, Fox, and falcon. Noticeable reps are 8bitman and Holy.

:4villager:(The Mayor): His aerials come out extremely quick, amazing zoning with loid rockets and fair, turnips are jank, up smash oos is pretty good, and his recovery is just amazing. However he has a terrible grab and barely has a combo game of any kind.
That's really all I can say really. Notable reps are captain awesome but he use's custom villager who's probably almost top tier in the customs meta.

(:4pit::4darkpit:)(The Pits): Pit/Dark Pit are the real jack of all trades. They're good in everything but don't excel at anything. And they literally don't excel at anything at all unlike mario. Pit/Dark Pit have a very good grab game, Amazing recovery, pretty good neutral, amazing offstage game, and side b is a very good kill option as it can setup mind games with it's super armor. Pit and dark pit are virtually the same character with the only differences being their jab, f-tilt, neutral b, and side b other then that they're literally the same character in everyother aspect.. Falling speed, weight, air speed, and even disadvantage state. however they're neutral b and side b make enough of a difference to give a slightly different matchup spread. Dark Pit actually does better against rosalina since his side b has shocking damage and sends the opponent horizontally which is great for killing luma while Pit's sends the opponent vertically and kills at 150%. This can help alot against lucario. The pits most notable rep is Nairo who's been doing pretty well with them in tournaments.

:4myfriends:(The Blue Flame): Ike is a character who was thought to be pretty underwhelming at first but ever since he's been getting buffed in each patch he's been doing better and better. Ike has amazing spacing, Can put you at death % after a couple reads, dash attack kills, amazing jab game, great grab game, and he has ridiculous kill setups off of up throw. Ike's metagame has been developing over the months as he's been leaving the depths to mediocre to slowing being with the greats(Thanks to his buffs). Most notable Ike rep is RYO

:4lucario:(The African Super Sayian): I honestly don't have much to say about lucario. The only thing I can say about lucario is that he's basically aura or die. Lucario basically relies on aura the most out of anything. Alot of his attack except for side B are pretty mediocre. The fact that he can kill at 40% with aura+rage is just insane as well as the fact that his recovery increases ten fold.

:4peach:(The Wannabe Disney Princess): Peach imo is an underrated character. Peach has the potential to be an amazing character but the fact that she's fairly underused in the meta is what imo holds her back. Not to mention peach is an extremely technical character and is generally hard to master meaning if you want to pull out her full potential it's often best not to use a co main/secondary. Peach has amazing spacing with float cancels, turnips is an amazing projectile, Booty launch(side b) is safe on shield and can setup mind games, great oos with bair and nair, her fair is just scary. Peach's most notable rep's include Slayerz and EOE I think theirs also this really good japanese peach player but i forgot his name can anyone plz tell me the name of that player cause that would be great.

:4pacman:(2PacMan): Pacman can best be described as being a crafty character. He often requires a large amount of creativity for his mixup's which is alot different compared to most characters. He also has great zoning, nair and fair are amazing, great oos options with trampoline, and hydrant is just amazing since not only can it edgeguard but it can also increase pac mans range(this tool is just scary). Pacman doesn't have much reps out side of the amazing abadango. Chef pac has also recently dropped pacman which is not good for pac.

:4greninja:(Better NERF BUFF Greninja): Before I begin with Greninja I would just like to say R.I.P better nerf greninja jokes. Yeah it maybe too late but whatever. The buffs that greninja has recieved are just maginificent. His down throw can actually combo now, and water shurikens gotten a startup decrease. Greninja's most notable reps are Techei, Ninjalink and Amsa. Greninja also has a bit of a representation in europe.

Edit: Thx for the headups @FullMoon

:4tlink:(The Hero Of The Wind): Toon link imo is one of the most unexplored character's in the game. Yeah toon link isn't really safe on shield but his bombs are so good that they can combo into alot moves as well being able to kill confirm into fair, bair, and even up b. Toon link is also pretty fast and has a very good juggle game with his up tilt. Toon link also has the second strongest back throw in the game being able to kill as low as 120% near the ledge. The only flaw about toon link that I can think of is that his grab is pretty laggy since it's a tether grab and he doesn't have a combo throw.

:4marth::4feroy:(Marth vs Roy): The whole marth vs roy topic has been discussed to death. people in this thread have been arguing over and over again about who's better between these two swordsman. For marth being better it's because of the fact that he has better high tier matchups and has more reward off of his sourspots compared to roy. For Roy being better it's because he has a better grab game as well as having a more simipler gameplan. Now I know that this look's like a lose lose situation unless I were to put these two in same tier and make this tier list not be in order. yes the whole marth vs roy thing is partially the reason why i made this tier list non ordered in the first place. So anyways why are both marth and roy mid tier. Well for marth it's cause of the reward he get's off of tippered hits and his great spacining game. yes I know marth's aerials have alot of lag but he can still space quite well in this game even if he can't abuse double fair. as for roy he's really fast, has a good grab game, amazing oos option thanks to blazer, and can kill as low as 50% off of a sweet spotted f-smash. However due to the fact that he has a pretty bad disadvantage state, no good aerial approaches outside of nair, can't go deep due to his recovery, and has really bad sourspots that tends to hold him back by alot. marth's most notable rep is Mr E while Roy's most notable rep being sethalon

:4ryu:(The O.G Shoto): Ryu is a character who is also really under explored just not as unexplored as toonlink. Ryu has amazing footsies, Fair comes out really fast and you can even combo into it at certain %, down smash is really safe on shield when spaced, and ryu can just kill confirm alot of things into shoryuken such as close light punch(up tilt), light crouch kick(down tilt), and even jab can confirm into shoryuken(Holy ****). Ryu's disadvantage state really good with FADC being able to get him out from alot of combos. The only reason why I ryu is that there aren't much people who know how to use ryu in tournaments. I mean we do have @Emblem Lord showing off how threatening ryu can actually be as well as 6WX but that's about it really maybe I'm missing someone though not sure.

:4lucas:(The Nowhere Boyz): Lucas is a pretty good character. His throw game is just amazing. forward throw kills,back throw kills,up throw kills, and his down throw can 50/50 into upair at high %. Lucas zoning game is also really good with tools such as zair, pk fire, and his really fast tilts. lucas's recovery is alot better then ness since he has a tether recovery and pk rocket has a longer distance. Zair can even kill confirm into fair. Lucas's biggest flaw is that his grab is very laggy since it's a tether grab. the reason why i put lucas so low is because he's very under developed and very underused. Lucas most notable rep's are nakat and pink fresh.

:4falco:(That Ain't Falco): Falco is a really underrated character. Yeah his neutral game isn't the best and his jab sucks but his edgeguard is amazing with stuff like fair/bair, his grab is really good since he can do stuff like down throw to nair to regrab/down throw to fair/down throw to bair/down throw to up/up throw to up air/up throw to bair, and bair is just so good. I honestly hate how people just tend to underrate falco so much in this game by putting him into low tier or low mid tier. Falco has alot more tools compared to low tiers/low mid tiers. most Rep is cyro.

:4drmario:(The muther**** Doctor): Dr mario is not that bad off of a character. Sure he's slow mobility holds him back alot, his combo game isn't as good as his red plumber counterpart, and his recovery is down right ***. But doc has some impressive attribute's like having a really good shorthop, a better bair then mario, great edgeguarding with down b and up b, and amazing OOS with up b and mario tornado. Doc also has almost the exact same frame data as his red plumber counterpart. Doc sadly doesn't have any notable reps of anykind nor has he placed high in regional's/majors.

:4dedede:(The Fat Penguin): Sorry @slavoslav but I'm about to break your heart. When you have a projectile that can be reflected off of luigi's down taunt you know your destined for failure right from the start. D3 is Combo food, Easy to chase in the air, laggy slow attacks, and just gets demolished by rushdowners. The only way you could lose to D3 is if you don't know the matchup. I know I said that this tier list isn't in order but **** it. If i were to place d3 I'd put him in borderline bottom just above Jigglypuff. Yes I think he's that bad. Seriously Slav how do you win with this character?

:4littlemac:(you aint an air fighter mac): Little mac sounds like a pretty good character having super armor when in the ground, really fast running speed being(third fastest in the game), and long disjointed tilts giving him a pretty good footsies game. But then you get to his sh***y recovery and his terrible recovery,his terrible air game, and his terrible approach options and then you realize just how bad little mac actually is. Little mac had the potiental to be an amazing character but his terrible design just holds him back. I mean why must his recovery be this bad and why must his air game be complete ***? Little macs best stage is final destination but let's be real guys you know the opponents going to strike that stage anyway.

:4mewtwo:(The most disappointing legendary ever): Mewtwo is a really bad character. He's very tall and really light being the 2nd lightest character in the game, no throw combos(this character serisously needs it), laggy tilts, terrible command grab(makes for a good reflector though), and his tail is still a hurtbox. they manage to make him even worse then what he was in melee. Mewtwos only redeem traits are shadow ball and up throw aside that he's just terrible. INB4 anyone post yes I know mewtwo can combo off of tilts and he can kill confirm from up tilt to up smash but doing the up tilt to up smash kill setup is so hard to pull off consistently in a match that it's nearly impossible to even commit in the first place. also mewtwo's down tilt can only combo if you hit it up close so keep that in mind.

:4jigglypuff:(The Hungry Box): Man jigglypuff what happened to you? You used to be alright in 64 and you were a beast in melee with your rest setups and amazing bair. Then Brawl happen and stripped you away of what you used to be. And smash 4 didn't do you any justice. Your bair is slow as **** now and you have no throw combo's whatsoever. All you got is fair of pain. What happen jigglypuff? what the **** happened?! Even hungrybox can't look at you for what you are now. It's just sad really it is.

:4zelda:( The bottom tier princess): It's just amazing how zelda's been bad in every smash game she was in. Except for project M oh wait that's a mod which doesn't count. Neutral is ***, Sweetspot Lighting kicks is hard to hit, slow as ****, can't escape pressure, and has such an awful matchup spread. Imo the reason why zelda is so bad in every smash is the way she's design. Like a slow but powerful magic user just doesn't work. I honestly have no idea how the pm dev team manage to make it but I salute them for actually being able to pull it off.

Well what do you guys think? is it accurate or am I just full of it. Feel free to discuss this
Um............................................ You don't know much about Jigglypuff do you? Since by the way of how you explain Jigglypuff's placement, it sounds like you don't think he has any advantages except for forward air of pain. Which is false. Jigglypuff has great comboing, which are really effective. They can even end with a great finisher, rest. In fact, all of Jigglypuff's air attacks are great. None of them are really bad in lag tbh, and they all combo and edgeguard well. Up air can juggle, Down air can rack damage, back air can kill, combo, and edgeguard, forward air can do the same thing, but even better, and neutral air can combo too. Rest KOs early, and pound is great for starting a combo, and damaging characters (Even if its frame data is terrible, it's still pretty good). Her six jumps makes her recovery prettty good, and she has an amazing air speed. Dash Attack is kinda good too, and forward smash is pretty good as well, KOing good at the least. She has many strengths I think she could be in mid tier.

Not Hating on the placement, just correcting your reasonings.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Lucina isn't bad, but until Nintendo patches her out of Marth's shadow, she is going to remain a more or less redundant character.
Yet I'm seeing people putting her miles below Marth.

'Redundant character' isn't a strong enough reason to put her 2 or 3 tiers below Marth, which people still do.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Yet I'm seeing people putting her miles below Marth.

'Redundant character' isn't a strong enough reason to put her 2 or 3 tiers below Marth, which people still do.
Yeah, I feel you. I don't get it either. If I were to make a tier list, she'd be maybe a tier, or half a tier, down from Marth. Marth will always be higher, due to his tip mechanics and sour spot, but Lucina is pretty good. I don't know what Nintendo can do to make her a more viable option, but if their previous buffs specifically to her are anything to go by, they may keep bumping up her damage output until she reaches a weird meta-parity with Marth.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Yeah, I feel you. I don't get it either. If I were to make a tier list, she'd be maybe a tier, or half a tier, down from Marth. Marth will always be higher, due to his tip mechanics and sour spot, but Lucina is pretty good. I don't know what Nintendo can do to make her a more viable option, but if their previous buffs specifically to her are anything to go by, they may keep bumping up her damage output until she reaches a weird meta-parity with Marth.
Give Marth Lucina's Damage, and Lucina Marth's range and tipper. Then they're tied.

(Unless I'm missing something?)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Okay. Maybe I'm just ridiculous as of now but I think the only time when Lucina is not bad is when people stop comparing her to Marth.
Unfortunately, "redundant character" holds a lot of weight in competitive play. The hammer will inevitably fall upon her with the mantra, "Why don't you just play Marth? He's a better character."

I agree that it's irrational to place her half a tier list below Marth, but right now, she just isn't getting the results. The only people who routinely play her to a high degree are character loyalists (no disrespect, I'm the gender-indefinite monarch of character loyalism): otherwise, if you want Falchion results, Marth is currently the way to go. People will reflect that in tier lists. It's bizarre, yet makes sense.

(:4pit::4darkpit:)(The Pits): Pit/Dark Pit are the real jack of all trades. They're good in everything but don't excel at anything. And they literally don't excel at anything at all unlike mario. Pit/Dark Pit have a very good grab game, Amazing recovery, pretty good neutral, amazing offstage game, and side b is a very good kill option as it can setup mind games with it's super armor. Pit and dark pit are virtually the same character with the only differences being their jab, f-tilt, neutral b, and side b other then that they're literally the same character in everyother aspect.. Falling speed, weight, air speed, and even disadvantage state. however they're neutral b and side b make enough of a difference to give a slightly different matchup spread. Dark Pit actually does better against rosalina since his side b has shocking damage and sends the opponent horizontally which is great for killing luma while Pit's sends the opponent vertically and kills at 150%. This can help alot against lucario. The pits most notable rep is Nairo who's been doing pretty well with them in tournaments.
You forgot to mention Earth.

He's been doing serious work in Japan with the Pits.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't know if you know about it but especially Slice is crying for buffs and how Yoshi is not enough and how it's impossible for him and Yoshi to beat actual good players. He started playing Pikachu for that reason. I don't even understand why you always mention Slice because he didn't perform outstanding yet except for the small austrian tournaments but austria is free :p.
I actually avoid mentioning him most of the time because I know you're gonna show up and leave a dumb comment each time I do. This is like the first time I bring him up anyway, most of the time it's Slush or somebody else who does.

He's still pretty much the only Yoshi besides Raptor who'd place well in Brawl and Smash 4 ... you're right though that he's not that great. He's still one of the better Yoshi players in smash 4 though and that says a lot about how poor his representation is. And for what it's worth ... none of the secondary characters he played in Brawl and Smash 4 so far were any good. He may like to complain a lot about Yoshi but the truth is that Yoshi is the only character he does well with. He can cry for buffs for all I care, if he places like top 5 at german tournaments and beats players like Eddy in the process then he's honestly placing better than I think he should. And a lot of that has to do with how good Yoshi is [and he's actually aware of that. Every time he complains about Yoshi needing buffs I tell him that Yoshi's the reason he's placing well and he's like "*sigh*" lol].

:059:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
On another note, Smash is the only fighting game I can think of where some moves are deliberately designed to be bad. Even the tip section is like "hey we made Samus's jab garbage so you might as well not even go for the second hit lol". They should be able to give characters weaknesses without giving them moves with no utility. It really is pretty bad game design (I still love this game though).

But in all seriousness, you give bad moves to someone like Jigglypuff (Sing: Amusing way to kill yourself since '64) or Game & Watch and hardly anyone bats an eye. But if it's someone like Samus or Zelda? Blasphemy.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
Speaking of G&W... Why is he still considered to be in low tier? I mean he has the theory and results (GimR namely) for being in Mid tier.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Speaking of G&W... Why is he still considered to be in low tier? I mean he has the theory and results (GimR namely) for being in Mid tier.
I definitely do not see him in low tier. He's light, but can effectively kill early. Disjoints all over the place, godlike Upsmash. His recovery is also stupidly good. Definitely one of the hardest characters to edgeguard.

If he's low tier, he's at the upper end of it. He's most likely not any better than upper mid tier, because a lot of his top tier MUs take some serious work.

By this thread definition of "viable", he most likely isn't.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
People like to mention Eddy and istudy as european Greninja reps but their placings aren't actually amazing. Eddy comains Greninja and Falcon and I don't think he places in the top 8 too often [which doesn't say a lot as Germany has a relatively high skill density] and istudy only places well in the Netherlands which isn't too strong a region in smash 4 apart from Mr.r ... both are good players but neither serves as a good argument for Greninja's viability.

I really wish I knew what it is that holds the character back from performing well. I think he's just really good.

:059:
Yeah it's something I scratch my head over too. It only takes a bit of time investment and a look at his MU spread after the shuriken buff to see that this character's got something.

Stigma is a big part of it. Greninja's results at release were good but then he got nerfed, the Japanese jumped ship immediately and he never really recovered.

The "worse Sheik" idea is pretty common as well, even though Greninja plays quite differently. And even compared to Sheik he has advantages like better mobility, better damage per hit and better edgeguarding in some MUs (most notably Pikachu).

I think he's a classic sleeper who'll get better in time like Brawl Wolf, ZSS or maybe even Olimar (ambitious). You never know what patches will bring either, he's still very underrated.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, "redundant character" holds a lot of weight in competitive play. The hammer will inevitably fall upon her with the mantra, "Why don't you just play Marth? He's a better character."
Exactly. People are underrating Lucina because she is a 'worse Marth'. They will pretty much only hold onto this very statement everytime people pick Lucina.

Which reflects what I've said before: Lucina will only be not a bad character when people stop comparing her to Marth.

Yeah. Sure. She has Marth's moveset. Yeah, she's basically a copy-paste from Marth and they just bumped the sour spots' power while removing the tippers, and the fact she has no unique moves (Not even FS) often make people think it's fair to compare her to Marth, and I'm gonna be honest, it really is fair. However, when you look away from Marth for a second and just look at Lucina alone, she isn't as bad as people think.

Same for Doc. When people stop comparing him to Mario and actually see him as his own character is when he will become not 'bottom tier trash' in this game.

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
No idea, his worst matchups are rare in the metagame ( Heavyweights in general, we don't kill that effectively so they are usually annoying, especially Bowser ) minus Rosalina, who's not even that common even through she's a top tier in this game. We have a set of effective tools to go even or better vs a lot of characters, and with a good secondary for some matchups, it's not hard to see him as Tour viable. Mainly it's due to Brawl fanboys bias, thinking that since G&W got nerfed & still lacks good ATs in his aerials, he's obviously bad.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Which reflects what I've said before: Lucina will only be not a bad character when people stop comparing her to Marth.
"X is not a bad character if you do not compare it to better alternatives."

I agree that she's severely underestimated, but that reasoning doesn't make sense to me. For all intents and purposes, she's worse than Marth, and Marth isn't considered super viable right now. That makes Lucina bad.

Viable character:
"A character that is able to win Rosa&Luma and does not get 100% rekt by Sheik. In the current state of meta only Sheik is viable."
It's probably broader than you make it sound. I wouldn't call 6-4 MUs against Sheik "rekt", but that's another debate entirely.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
:4tlink:(The Hero Of The Wind): Toon link imo is one of the most unexplored character's in the game. Yeah toon link isn't really safe on shield but his bombs are so good that they can combo into alot moves as well being able to kill confirm into fair, bair, and even up b. Toon link is also pretty fast and has a very good juggle game with his up tilt. Toon link also has the second strongest back throw in the game being able to kill as low as 120% near the ledge. The only flaw about toon link that I can think of is that his grab is pretty laggy since it's a tether grab and he doesn't have a combo throw.
Unexplored or not, I don't think Toon Link is quite as strong as you think. Being able to threaten shield is a big deal, and Link can do that so much better. I agree with Link in C tier, but I can't see Toon Link as being better than him. Toon Link has a strong projectile game and good mobility but not much else. He's not hard to juggle or edgeguard either. Maybe I just haven't seen enough good TL's, but even the better ones I've seen didn't really kill all that reliably.(though they could get bomb kill confirms at imes) I'm just not blown away by what I've seen of him. D tier seems more appropriate to me.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I definitely do not see him in low tier. He's light, but can effectively kill early. Disjoints all over the place, godlike Upsmash. His recovery is also stupidly good. Definitely one of the hardest characters to edgeguard.

If he's low tier, he's at the upper end of it. He's most likely not any better than upper mid tier, because a lot of his top tier MUs take some serious work.

By this thread definition of "viable", he most likely isn't.
Uh are we thinking of the same character here? One of his biggest problems is his inability to safely and consistently land kill moves. USmash is quite safe but has a very small hitbox and his smashes in general are very slow for their lack of power, especially when not sweetspotted. It's probably for the best that USmash is slow (third slowest in the game) but leaves him unable to really threaten opponents out of shield. Outside of smashes his moves lack KO power. It's telling that his only consistent kill setup, DThrow to UAir, has a very small range of viability, after which you pretty much have to read an airdodge to get UAir to land properly. If you're killing early you're probably edgeguarding (something he's admittedly very good at). But in general you won't be landing many kill moves against characters and players who play safe.

If he could kill more reliably he'd be a lot better.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Dthrow to upair not being a true kill combo isn't as big an issue as you might think lol Most chars gotta bait.

But yea, he still needs a little more. His neutral, disadvantage, and advantage states are all workable. But his lightweight makes him just lose because he had to win by so much more in a lot of MUs. He needs more "cannon" less "glass"

TriTails

Smash Lord
"X is not a bad character if you do not compare it to better alternatives."

I agree that she's severely underestimated, but that reasoning doesn't make sense to me. For all intents and purposes, she's worse than Marth, and Marth isn't considered super viable right now. That makes Lucina bad.
By bad I meant 'Bottom tier'. Apologizes for the wrong terming.

Granted, Lucina may be low tier, but I don't think she is actually bottom tier like most people would percieve her.

But perhaps it's just me. But I do believe Lucina isn't on the same tier as the percieved worst character in the game.

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
Um............................................ You don't know much about Jigglypuff do you? Since by the way of how you explain Jigglypuff's placement, it sounds like you don't think he has any advantages except for forward air of pain. Which is false. Jigglypuff has great comboing, which are really effective. They can even end with a great finisher, rest. In fact, all of Jigglypuff's air attacks are great. None of them are really bad in lag tbh, and they all combo and edgeguard well. Up air can juggle, Down air can rack damage, back air can kill, combo, and edgeguard, forward air can do the same thing, but even better, and neutral air can combo too. Rest KOs early, and pound is great for starting a combo, and damaging characters (Even if its frame data is terrible, it's still pretty good). Her six jumps makes her recovery prettty good, and she has an amazing air speed. Dash Attack is kinda good too, and forward smash is pretty good as well, KOing good at the least. She has many strengths I think she could be in mid tier.

Not Hating on the placement, just correcting your reasonings.
No, she does not have great comboing ability; plenty of characters can actually "wall of pain" better on account of having faster fall speed, less lag, and more hitstun on aerials. She can really only get Rest with a read, when in 64 and Melee she had setups into Rest. She has no response to effective projectile spacing (other than against really bad projectiles like Din's Fire, I guess) or effective use of a disjoint leading to a swathe of unwinnable matchups, a horrible ground game that her air game just can't make up for (jab, tilts, and grab all come out slowly, Smashes are laggy), and is completely shut down by the general strength of defensive options--Pound either needs to come out faster or do even more shield damage. Finally, since she has no setups into Rest other than a hard punish or hard read, her smashes suck (usmash has no range, dsmash doesn't kill before 200% or so, fsmash is powerful but too laggy) and back air is both somewhat laggy and has bad hitboxes, she has a lot of trouble taking the stock before 150%, and bringing her opponents to full rage, as she often does, is very bad for her for obvious reasons. I've put more work into her than any character besides my main, and I can tell you with full confidence that she's pretty bad. Bottom 2 (as she is in that list you quoted)? Probably not. Bottom 10? Almost certainly.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Jiggs needs a knockback buff/tweak on upair imo. Rest is definitely something in this game that should require an air dodge read to get, but there's not much reason to air dodge vs jiggs unless you're behind her or in front of her. (generally offstage)

A set knockback to let it kill similar to Rosa's and/or give a better angle to frame trap for more upairs OR a rest punish would make her perfect imo... That or a throw set-up for upair to give her more opportunities to condition people to air dodge the upair. Not even a true combo, just a good ass-angle where they HAVE to eat the uair or risk getting rested.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Uh are we thinking of the same character here? One of his biggest problems is his inability to safely and consistently land kill moves. USmash is quite safe but has a very small hitbox and his smashes in general are very slow for their lack of power, especially when not sweetspotted. It's probably for the best that USmash is slow (third slowest in the game) but leaves him unable to really threaten opponents out of shield. Outside of smashes his moves lack KO power. It's telling that his only consistent kill setup, DThrow to UAir, has a very small range of viability, after which you pretty much have to read an airdodge to get UAir to land properly. If you're killing early you're probably edgeguarding (something he's admittedly very good at). But in general you won't be landing many kill moves against characters and players who play safe.

If he could kill more reliably he'd be a lot better.
I never saw him having much trouble killing as much as he just cannot afford trading.
His lightweight body is for me a much more glaring flaw in the character. Something that also most likely won't be patched later on.

As you said, his edgeguarding is pretty solid, key spiking is very real. Turtle on the edge of the stage is also very solid. Both hard to deal with because disjointed and fast. The only problem is nobody plays him, and the few that do don't try to edgeguard enough.

Although you're probably more experimented/knowledgeable than I am with the character, and I definitely see his on stage killing potential to be more lacking than some. If anything needs to be buffed (outside of his weight), that'd be it, because his overall kit is fundamentally solid.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I never saw him having much trouble killing as much as he just cannot afford trading.
His lightweight body is for me a much more glaring flaw in the character. Something that also most likely won't be patched later on.

As you said, his edgeguarding is pretty solid, key spiking is very real. Turtle on the edge of the stage is also very solid. Both hard to deal with because disjointed and fast. The only problem is nobody plays him, and the few that do don't try to edgeguard enough.

Although you're probably more experimented/knowledgeable than I am with the character, and I definitely see his on stage killing potential to be more lacking than some. If anything needs to be buffed (outside of his weight), that'd be it, because his overall kit is fundamentally solid.
His weight and KO potential are related issues. Not being able to kill effectively wouldn't matter as much if he was heavier (and could get more rage) but as it stands, yeah, he doesn't trade well. And by extension he has a hard time getting in to safely land kill moves. A lot of his matchups feel close to even but tend to lean in the opponent's favor, mainly because he can't afford to make as many mistakes as they can.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
You forgot to mention Earth.

He's been doing serious work in Japan with the Pits.
I'll make sure to edit that

Unexplored or not, I don't think Toon Link is quite as strong as you think. Being able to threaten shield is a big deal, and Link can do that so much better. I agree with Link in C tier, but I can't see Toon Link as being better than him. Toon Link has a strong projectile game and good mobility but not much else. He's not hard to juggle or edgeguard either. Maybe I just haven't seen enough good TL's, but even the better ones I've seen didn't really kill all that reliably.(though they could get bomb kill confirms at imes) I'm just not blown away by what I've seen of him. D tier seems more appropriate to me.
Honestly idk why but i just see alot of untapped potential in toon link. Yeah him having trouble against shields and having a hard time killing reliably could be a problem. but theirs something about his design that speaks to me. idk maybe it's just me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Because he suffers from the same problem that :4bowser: :4bowserjr::4charizard::4dedede::4duckhunt::4lucario::4lucas::4megaman::4mewtwo::4peach::4robinm: *takes a deep breath* :4shulk::4wario::4wiifit::4zelda:have: hardly anyone plays as them seriously and they have like one or two major players wrecking shop with them to actually reference. That being said, it's taking their metagames longer to develop compared to characters like :4falcon::4luigi::4mario::4ness:and :4sheik: who about half the world's population has at least a pocket of. Like you said, GimR is the only notable :4gaw: I can think of off the top of my head.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
I keep seeing people talk about Yoshis in Japan doing well but never actually see any results. I hope this isn't one of those Japan is godlike and everyone is just going with it things. Does anyone have any brackets?

Last edited:

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
Something that have been bothering me, based on tornament results there is some characters that are pretty much carried by a single player, for example Pikachu and ZSS are consistently placed in 2nd-3rd place in tier list, but if you remove Nairo and ESAM they will drop considerably in the other hand characters like Rosalina, Sonic and Diddy are consisntly getting into top 32 in any major with several players.

if we go for a character representation + results, a quick tier list will go like this:

Tournaments: CEO 2015, EVO 2015, Smashcon

Scale:
winning: 14 points
Top 4 : 13 points
Top 8: 12 points
Top 32: 11 points

1.- Sheik: 155
Zero, Mr.R, Vinnie, VS Master Raven, Rain, EMP Fresh Die Nasty, STVG Phuzix, False

2.- Rosalina: 115
Dabuz, falln, Neo, Xaltis, Nabster, Jester

3.- Diddy: 90
PG MVG | MVD, Tony, Angel Cortez, Pelca, VGBC|Logic

4.- Sonic: 88
TNS Static Manny, Chez (AWAL), NS Seagull Joe, 6WX, PHO | Mocha, Kai

5.- ZSS: 62
Nairo, VS NickRiddle

6.- Pikachu: 37
ESAM, NAKAT

7.- Ness: 35
Shaky, GW | FOW, OcO|MiK!

7.- Falcon: 35
Fatality, Max Ketchum

8.- Luigi: 33
Mr.ConCon, Muskduck, Poke

8.-Villager: 33
SFA SS, GT MJG, CaptAwesum

8.- Yoshi: 33
Poltergust, EE KDB, IQHQ|Raptor

9.- Fox: 24
UGC Larry Lurr

10: Mario: 23
Boreal_Ally, Anti

Notes:
- Its hard to measure some players, because their secondaries are as relevant as their main like UGC Larry Lurr(Fox, Sheik, Luigi), not sure if I should give points to secondaries.
- Do you know any other recent major that I should add?
- I used a single point difference in the scale to diminish the carrying effect of a single player.

Last edited:

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
Crazy how high Diddy still is even ignoring the preeminent Diddy player.

Djent

Smash Champion
My guess at top 15:
S::4sheik:
A+ :4zss::4fox::4metaknight::4diddy:
A: :4pikachu::4sonic::4luigi::rosalina::4ness:
A- :4falcon::4wario::4villager::4mario::4yoshi:
Reasoning:
S is for Sheik. A+ means close Sheik MU + no other crippling flaws. A means at least one crap MU but still potent & potentially invalidating to lower tiers. A- is several bad MUs but still a large tourney threat.
This is for the purpose of constructing a more accurate list off of weighted MUs. Are there any other characters I should include for this purpose?

Last edited:

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
pfft hahahahhah nice one.....ur being serious aren't u?

I remember when mk mains was rare and cool. ty leo.
aren't tyrant and nakat the same person or am I making a big mistake here?

also yeah it's great that people are starting to realize how good mk is thank to leo

Last edited:

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
I think you're putting too much emphasis on the importance of the Sheik matchup (and characters like Mario and Yoshi do better than characters like Luigi, Ness, and Diddy)--she's not Meta Knight in Brawl. I'd actually argue that Yoshi doesn't have any matchups worse than 45:55--though he also doesn't have many matchups better than 60:40 outside some mid/low tiers. There's a case for him being one of the most well-rounded characters in the game, putting him as a solid high tier (I would say between 8th and 12th) but not being a top tier due to the lack of a completely overpowering feature.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Something that have been bothering me, based on tornament results there is some characters that are pretty much carried by a single player, for example Pikachu and ZSS are consistently placed in 2nd-3rd place in tier list, but if you remove Nairo and ESAM they will drop considerably in the other hand characters like Rosalina, Sonic and Diddy are consisntly getting into top 32 in any major with several players.

if we go for a character representation + results, a quick tier list will go like this:

Tournaments: CEO 2015, EVO 2015, Smashcon

Scale:
winning: 14 points
Top 4 : 13 points
Top 8: 12 points
Top 32: 11 points

1.- Sheik: 155
Zero, Mr.R, Vinnie, VS Master Raven, Rain, EMP Fresh Die Nasty, STVG Phuzix, False

2.- Rosalina: 115
Dabuz, falln, Neo, Xaltis, Nabster, Jester

3.- Diddy: 90
PG MVG | MVD, Tony, Angel Cortez, Pelca, VGBC|Logic

4.- Sonic: 88
TNS Static Manny, Chez (AWAL), NS Seagull Joe, 6WX, PHO | Mocha, Kai

5.- ZSS: 62
Nairo, VS NickRiddle

6.- Pikachu: 37
ESAM, NAKAT

7.- Ness: 35
Shaky, GW | FOW, OcO|MiK!

7.- Falcon: 35
Fatality, Max Ketchum

8.- Luigi: 33
Mr.ConCon, Muskduck, Poke

8.-Villager: 33
SFA SS, GT MJG, CaptAwesum

8.- Yoshi: 33
Poltergust, EE KDB, IQHQ|Raptor

9.- Fox: 24
UGC Larry Lurr

10: Mario: 23
Boreal_Ally, Anti

Notes:
- Its hard to measure some players, because their secondaries are as relevant as their main like UGC Larry Lurr(Fox, Sheik, Luigi), not sure if I should give points to secondaries.
- Do you know any other recent major that I should add?
- I used a single point difference in the scale to diminish the carrying effect of a single player.
Would adding LTC3 and SKTAR as well as the last Japanese and European regional make sense? As well as The Summit (Canada) if that counts as important enough for the list.

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
Crazy how high Diddy still is even ignoring the preeminent Diddy player.
Yes at least the data suggest that people are overrating diddy nerfs and also top 2-3 are highly debated, diddy, sonic, rosalina have better results but ZSS and Pikachu have better players.

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
Because he suffers from the same problem that :4bowser: :4bowserjr::4charizard::4dedede::4duckhunt::4lucario::4lucas::4megaman::4mewtwo::4peach::4robinm: *takes a deep breath* :4shulk::4wario::4wiifit::4zelda:have: hardly anyone plays as them seriously and they have like one or two major players wrecking shop with them to actually reference. That being said, it's taking their metagames longer to develop compared to characters like :4falcon::4luigi::4mario::4ness:and :4sheik: who about half the world's population has at least a pocket of. Like you said, GimR is the only notable :4gaw: I can think of off the top of my head.
Eh, G&W has better results than most of those characters you listed. Gimr has done alright with him, Regi placed 13th at Evo iirc, and Songun has placed top 8 in a few Japan majors (even beating their most notable player: Rain).

Coffee™

I need it....
I still don't get why people correlate results specifically to tier lists so often...

If you are going to make one based on results, then do just that and run with it. However, if we are going to talk about character viability, potential and matchups then what is the point?

Actual player skill is far too big of a variable for results to hold much weight on discusion that is primarily about the characters themselves and how they interact with other characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom