• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VaNz Stuff.. about Peach (Tactical Discussion)

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Try to be at a range where he can't reach you, but just barely. When he goes after you, try to avoid the hit, then punish his lag. When you think he will try to laser, move inward, then you see him laser, punish it. If he adjusts spacing, adjust spacing with him.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Try to be at a range where he can't reach you, but just barely. When he goes after you, try to avoid the hit, then punish his lag. When you think he will try to laser, move inward, then you see him laser, punish it. If he adjusts spacing, adjust spacing with him.

Ah, I see where this is going. Do this combined with the fact that he is losing space to move around. Then once he's cornered, limit his options. The problem was in my logic was that if I did this, it wouldn't really be an offensive move if I'm taking no space forward, but the thing that I need to do is take smaller steps instead of a full dive in. I think overall I try to take more space than I can cover, thank you.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think what you were wanting to do at first is just go into Fox or whatever character, and beat them down with aerials, although that is usually a bad idea, because the relevant characters have good answers to that.

Keep in mind I'm still only talking about float. Sometimes dash attack or dashgrab is more appropriate. If you have a turnip, sometimes you can throw it, and follow it to take up lots of space.

Now If I could only get a Peach main to confirm I'm not talking nonsense. . .

Xyzz

Smash Champion
If you're somewhat in the air you should definitely come down with a fair (or DJ to a platform, maybe lol).
So what if he knows that you are going to do one? He doesn't know when or the direction you'll be moving when you do it.

If he does know those, fix that.
Or to rephrase it: Vary the timing of when you come down, and learn to do retreating fairs.

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
What is a good way to deal with Falcon dash dancing on a small stage?
Like, if I'm on Dreamland or FD I can just get far enough away and then pull a turnip to give myself something to space with.
But if we're on, say Yoshi's, FoD, or Battlefield, most of what I do can be punished if he just DDs in and out of my range... if I dash attack, he can dodge and punish, If I pull a turnip he can do the same. If I try to just jump up onto the platform, he can go into a u-air, and if I then go to the top platform... well that position is also fairly restricted.

I've had some minor success with just like, wave dash back and jabbing, or floating and bairing without landing when he comes in, but those aren't really solutions, because if I mess up once he gets a grab and can usually get a combo out of it, whereas I'm just getting spare hits that don't really achieve much.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
A good Falcon won't let you simply go across the stage to pull a turnip. I don't know what that is about. . .

It sounds like you're not trying to space. If he is dashing in and out of your range, anticipate him going into your range, and if he is in your range, hit him. If you're dash attacking, but he is dodging it, you're forcing an opening that isn't that, and probably being baited. I'm not sure why you would want to go above him, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Wavedash back is a form of defensive option, that should be your sign. Instead of you being the one playing into his baits and the lot, you set up the baits for him. I don't think jab is what you want to punish with though. Go for grabs, dash attacks and FC Fairs.

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but the thing is with him being faster and such hes generally better at the baiting thing. Besides that, his punishes are stronger against me than mine are on him, so I can't really afford to get beat that often.

It's not really a problem against a Falcon I'm better than, of course, but when it is an otherwise even match I find myself not knowing what to do.

It's easy to say "stop playing into his baits and set up your own" but it seems to me like he has a much better position in the matchup to do so, and to not get hurt as hard if he does lose the neutral game.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Jab isn't bad, because it does set up grabs / dsmash fairly decently. But if you catch him attacking thin air by wavedashing back you have more guaranteed punishes (dash attack or directly grabbing / dsmash haha), and if he doesn't fall for it, it depends a bit on how he is spaced to you... you are probably either forced into a really defensive option like shielding / rolling / spotdodging or are perfectly fine setting up a fc fair... I don't really see much value in low commitment sorta middle ground moves after WD back.
After whiffing a fair though, it can quite decently catch people moving in your space... sure that could happen after wd back as well, but somehow not something that seems to come up to often for me.
WD back > FC fair doesn't work as a punish. Sure getting in floating position and then later coming down with it... but I wouldn't expect to hit somebody right out of WD back with it ;)

Regarding the initial question:
Yeah, CF can kinda whoop Peach if he knows what he is doing (most CFs are hilariously bad at the match up though lol)... You just have to play a spacing game with him, where he is at a big advantage because of his speed (and related effective reach) and that you kinda never want to trade with knee but it's often hard to avoid.
Plucking turnips isn't too hot against him, he really shouldn't allow you to, but if you knock him away and can't follow up directly... sure grab one. Just don't expect dashing away and plucking one from neutral to work too well... (hint: turnip pull is 29 frames, his sh air time is 31 frames. He can short hop from one friggin PS platform to the other... that should give you a good idea how far away you would need to be to be safe from him).

Well yeah, try to get him to whiff and catch a grab / dash attack from that. Alternatively try to push him back and slowly encroach his space, giving him less room to work with until you can get in on his shield. He is surely better at getting hits off those situations and can convert into combos that work just as well as yours (I'm not sure who punishes harder from clean hits, but both hit each other really hard :D), but there isn't really a winning strategy against CF haha.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
What is a good way to deal with Falcon dash dancing on a small stage?
Like, if I'm on Dreamland or FD I can just get far enough away and then pull a turnip to give myself something to space with.
But if we're on, say Yoshi's, FoD, or Battlefield, most of what I do can be punished if he just DDs in and out of my range... if I dash attack, he can dodge and punish, If I pull a turnip he can do the same. If I try to just jump up onto the platform, he can go into a u-air, and if I then go to the top platform... well that position is also fairly restricted.

I've had some minor success with just like, wave dash back and jabbing, or floating and bairing without landing when he comes in, but those aren't really solutions, because if I mess up once he gets a grab and can usually get a combo out of it, whereas I'm just getting spare hits that don't really achieve much.

If it's a smaller stage, you gotta take space in bitesized portions. Wavedashing is necessary to adjust your spacing to this degree. Once you've closed enough space, his movement is useless to dash attack. He can block, but only on prediction, and if you get him to jump then he surrenders his groundspace. The trick is using the things you gain from these situations; it's hard to look for rewards other than landing your clean hit or getting damage.

If you can, try to solve your problems without using moves. If you do anything preemptively against falcon, he will outmove you.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
tl;dr: view it as "pressuring" instead of "approaching"
I remember DoH saying something along the lines of Peach's aggression coming mainly from cutting your opponent's breathing space slowly (basically covering their options without going too far into them), and I feel like that's a good start. I don't know that Peach approaches too too well. If you catch someone dashing away from you and they're still in your range, you can hit them (or at the very least take the space). And everyone knows what we do to shields. :D

As far as actually "approaching" (that term is bleh anyways), Peach doesn't do it too often, I feel. Not anymore, anyways.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
^
What about when Peaches use a quick FCed nair when a Fox is DDing? Is that considered an approach or is the Peach (As always) Just looking for an opening into something?

The Irish Mafia

Well, it's trying to use an attack to prevent your opponent from moving, so I'd say that's approaching. Unless you do it retreating, lol
I feel like that's a challenge I find harder as peach than as any other character, is remembering not to swing. In almost every situation she has an option that I could take that would press my luck, but I gotta learn better than to chase down situations I think I can benefit from. She brings out the worst of my wishful thinking.
As for Peach having approaches, she has turnip to fair and dash attack. Those are 2 of the best approaches in the game.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
I kinda see dash attack as an opening option rather than an approach option.
Or is that the main mentality for approaching in general? Wait for an opening?
If thats the case then all Peach's FC aerials are good for approaching!
(Or pressuring, in john!'s case :p)
Even if you don't successfuly approach with it and end up hitting the shield (Unless its DA, That should be strictly for openings cuz its not safe.....at all lol) We got Dsmash and grab to cover us as usual!

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I just don't give a ****.

Also opening is such a nebulous term. What do you define as an opening?

Also I think my turnip game is super on point so I force what you are probably calling openings most of the time.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
I define an opening as whenever it's safe to come in with a Dash attack or FC aerial approach basically. Also i feel with my fairs, my spacing game is on point so even if i dont see an opening, i want to make sure my opponent never will.
Also along with turnips, floating is good for waiting for an opening right? i.e. Floating over Falco's lasers and forcing him to approach. Not saying i cant force him with turnips as well :p

WIDL

We Are Born
I need some input. I have a tournament in one week, and I'm teaming with a Fox/Sheik main. I think he'll primarily go Fox. I feel like I'm pretty good in teams and have a pretty good understanding of where I need to be in the moment, BUT I haven't actually teamed with a Fox before (lol). Could someone give me some kind of a rundown? I play kinda aggressive in teams, but I can handle defensive pretty well too.

Also, if any of you know of some good sets with Peach/Fox I would greatly appreciate it. I don't think I will have any problem finding Peach/Sheik. ;)

MacD

or be the front line and let the fox punish. it's all about which play style you want to focus on and who is better at teams/in general

there are sets of me and lucky vs peeps, me and zhu are ok but zhu's not the best in teams, connor went fox sometimes when we teamed

Cia

das kwl
Ya when Teco and I used to do Fox/Peach, I was the front line like.. 90% of the time. Way easier for Fox to catch a pass than Peach. Also, Peach puts out way more damage at lower % And If peach takes damage, she'll prolly just brush it off whereas Fox can get DESTROYED.

+1 for Peach Carry, Fox Support

john!

Smash Hero
well maybe i'm just super defensive... or i team with super aggressive foxes... idk lol.

it seems like whenever i am in front (especially at mid/high percents) they will just hit me away and double team fox for like 10 seconds while i try to run back and help.

but you definitely shouldn't get up in each other's business too much, since you can wreck fox with a stray dsmash and he can wreck you with a stray usmash

WIDL

We Are Born
Nice! Thanks a lot for the great response. I'll definitely look into it.

Also, a special shoutout to Armada for giving me lots of great tips without even asking him directly. (:

MT_

Smash Ace
Hi folks.

Still been working on my Peach, and my Peach is still pretty bad and clueless. I play some friendlies vs a Marth named Arc in the first 20 minutes or so of this video: http://www.twitch.tv/mt___/b/435449621

Would you guys tell me how and why I'm bad? And maybe things I can work on so that I can be less bad? Thanks =)

darkatma

Smash Hero
Hi folks.

Still been working on my Peach, and my Peach is still pretty bad and clueless. I play some friendlies vs a Marth named Arc in the first 20 minutes or so of this video: http://www.twitch.tv/mt___/b/435449621

Would you guys tell me how and why I'm bad? And maybe things I can work on so that I can be less bad? Thanks =)
You're bad because you don't live near me, and I can't smash with you =[
</3

PinkPrinz

Smash Rookie
I just wanted to ask a quick question that might help some other people too: how are you supposed to DI marth's f-throw so you don't get re-grabbed or tippered?

thx for any help

WIDL

We Are Born
And while we're at it: how to DI CFs down-throw? I knew the percentages before, but I seem to have forgotten it. Is it like down-away early and the opposite direction on high? Uh.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
There isn't really a way to avoid the knee at mid to high percents. Usually DI down and away because it's the hardest to follow up, and occasionally mix it up with something weird to see if it'll throw him off.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I want to say that they can always jump out, but it wouldn't be 100% certain. There should be an effort to test Peach's uthrow follows on Marth/Sheik on certain DIs (if there are any). I'll have to look into it.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
I was gonna test it but it's kinda late/ I have no one to experiment DIs. I might try tomorrow. ALSO GUYS. I critiqued a Marth vs Peach match, and then revised it into some notes against Marth. I did this when I was like, 4 months into the game before LOL. But this is way better and more detailed, check it out. Also, add to it if you find flaws/want to add you ideas.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

There are a couple things you should keep in mind at the neutral vs Marth.

1. You can crouch cancel all of his moves(Besides tipper Forward smash and Dair)
2. Pull and utilize turnips ALOT. If you have space(to pull), there should always be a turnip in your hand.

3. If he knows that you can CC his moves, he will be going for Grabs, tipper dairs, and tipper Forward smashes (under 40% that is). Since you know this, only space out of those moves. You shouldn't be worried about his long dash attack if you can CC it.

Why Dash Attacking a Marth under 0% is risky
1. He can CC it (0%); he can grab after this , which will lead to some kind of follow up.
2. He can dash out of range; ^^^^^
3. it’s a grounded Marth, he has plenty of options to avoid this as opposed to an airborne.

Options of a grounded Marth vs your dash attack:

Shield it and punish, CC the dash attack, dash dance out of range, jump, and wavedash back.

Options of an airborne Marth vs your dash attack

Waveland back and attack (If he hasn’t dedicated to the direction of his jump)

To avoid this;

1. If he does a late fair, dash attack before he attacks.

2. If he does an early fair, dash attack after the attack.

Vs Marth, I would use dash attacks only for tech chases and when Marth is airborne. Marth 101 is basically throw turnips. If he shields, grab. If he jumps, dash attack. If the turnip hits, follow up.

Vs Marth’s Fthrow, the best way to DI is DOWN AND AWAY.

At percents lower than 50, Can Peach get a follow up after up-throw vs Marth?

Always try to remember that when you’re in shield vs Marth, for misspaced aerials and grabs. Full hops are 95% of the time unsafe in that position, easy to nair OOS with that.

Peach at High percent vs Marth's fresh stock
I recommend adding a tool that I try to incorporate, that being run up Shield as well as WD back oos. What this does is kind of force your opponent to misspace a move if you shield in there approach. This can help you get a grab , Nair OOs, etc. What you use the WD back OOS is for grabs. If you think he is trying to grab you after he realized you want to shield, you can WD back to make him whiff the grab into a dsmash, grab, jab, dtilt etc. Other than adding that, mixups of offense and defense as well as using your turnips wise and frequent are recommended.

In my opinion, I would use FC Aerials vs Marth only:

1. Retreating or in place, to keep your space. (as well as harder to punish)
2. When my opponent is cornered to a point where he cannot Dashdance
3. After using a turnip

I have been doing alot of thinking, and someone can prove me wrong with this, but approaching with FC Fair and taking up that much space isn't the best idea. If you will do it, do it little by little. Don't try to claim big chunks.

Marth was in the air and you were on the ground. When you are grounded and Marth is in the air, think of it like this; what can Marth really come down with?

Aerials, Shield breaker? Can't land and grab, you can react to it before it happens.

You were also at 0%, so you could have done 2 things.

1. Shield, wait for what he does. If he aerials, wait, nair oos. If not, just nair oos and hit him LOL.

When you are cornered vs a grounded Marth, what can you do?

1. If you have room, you can WD back and punish whatever attack he is coming with (You would have to have a small read on him to call his move with an attack, but if you don’t go for an attack, you still have more room.

2. You can jump and come down with a FC Fair. It’s slightly risky because he can try to Forward smash you out of the air, so make sure to understand what he wants, whether it be a grab or attack.

3. Try to dash attack out. If you think the dash attack won’t connect, you have more room to work with than you think.

4. Armada has a really cool technique to get out of this situation if Marth wants to approach with a shorthop(which is a VERY common option of most Marths). What he does is full hop off stage (or almost off, relatively close to the stage.) and use his double jump to float back in. What this does is try to bait Marth to attack you. If you know your range, a double jump after Marth’s short hop cannot hit Peach. If he tries to take your bait, you can punish him falling down from the long height, and get a small combo or center stage. If he doesn’t bite, you are out of the corner, but you now will have to try to fight for the stage, which is something you would have to do in the first place, except this would be a slightly better position than if you were to get hit on his terms.

Random note: At lower percents, it is preferable to be above Marth because of trades and not hard followups. At higher percents, you want to stay on the ground more. –Armada in the Smash Lab

Random Note #2: There is an angle that if you DI Marth’s forward throw down and like, a 45 degree away, you can hit the ground and tech before Marth can hit you with the dash attack. It’s pretty specific, and I’ve only done it randomly at Pound 4 – Armada in the Smash Lab

With the air dodges recovering vs Marth, something you can try to do is air dodge closer to the stage. This give your opponent less time to react to the air dodge, and you can move freely sooner.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I haven't dropped by this thread in awhile. I lost to a pretty good Roy the other day.
It essentially felt like I was fighting against a Marth (my worst matchup), which is probably why I lost.
When the video gets uploaded I may whine and ask for a critique.

Top Bottom