• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uthrow-uair: Know when to use it!

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Lol. I once downthrow tech chased Reno's Sheik 0-115% and ended it with a downthrow tech chase upsmash. 0-death dthrow techchase. What whaaaaat.

Edit: Shortly after this, Jman started using dthrow techchases in tournament lolol.

Smilez

Smash Journeyman
:(

After having an extremely close set with Vwins recently, and getting naired out of uthrow->uair numerous times...I needed to know the truth. Unknown522 and KirbyKaze tested it out, with Peach d.i.ing in many different ways. She can always either trade or nair out. If you ever do get it, its because her double jump is **** or you super space the second hit of your uair. It DOES NOT, however, combo.

Same vs. Ganon. His air mobility is terrible and when he double jumps he is virtually still in the same place, so your uair hits. He also doesn't have a fast/high priority move that hits below him (his nair sucks balls), so uthrow->uair CAN work. Again, it DOES NOT combo.

Discuss.
He speaks the truth! I noticed this recently myself.

*On a side note Ganon's Uair does hit below him on certain frames. At low percentage a ganon can Uair after he has been upthrown before fox's Uair hits.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
D throws

It's hilarious to D-Throw Combo, but if the opponent knows what he's doing you could just be shooting yourself in the foot. They can easily tech and use the invinc frames to avoid any attacks and shine b4 you can throw out your own.

soap

Smash Hero
for uthrow uair i started finding it useful to control stick my full jumps and doublejumps.

so u can cstick and get the aerial out really quick, making a smaller window to nair out.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
How does nair lose to uair? lol.

I don't think i've ever seen a good samus get uthrow - uaired lol.

I do however see uthrow - spaced djbair work vs samus nair.
uair has more priority than nair. nair will come out, and as long as you are just hitting with your feet (and not have your whole body inside them) you will get the uair off.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
It works on Sheik, right? At lower percentages though, I find it better to nair or bair.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
fox has it easy on so many lvls its not funny
Welcome to the Fox boards.

How does nair lose to uair? lol.

I don't think i've ever seen a good samus get uthrow - uaired lol.

I do however see uthrow - spaced djbair work vs samus nair.
Samus' nair (like most nairs), doesn't cover the bottom of her body well. Nair is meant for frontal hits. As such, it makes it extremely easy for Fox to uair right through her nair without getting hit. Uair is meant to hit opponents directly above you, so it has a good hitbox over his head for that purpose. Samus' nair gets ***** by well spaced aerials coming from below or behind her, because the nair's hitbox simply doesn't work like that. Even if you mis-space your uair from below, chances are you'll still launch her with both hits before her nair hitbox gets close enough to connect.

What Samus SHOULD do is double jump and bomb stall, then find a way back to the ground. If they immediately bomb after the uthrow, there is a chance the second hit of Fox's uair will catch her through the bombs.

uair has more priority than nair. nair will come out, and as long as you are just hitting with your feet (and not have your whole body inside them) you will get the uair off.
Yep.

It works on Sheik, right? At lower percentages though, I find it better to nair or bair.
Yeah, it works on Sheik. Uair if you can; its obviously easier to combo uair->move than nair->move on Sheik. (hitstun, the trajectory it hits her in, etc)

unknown522

Some guy
Yeah, it works on Sheik. Uair if you can; its obviously easier to combo uair->move than nair->move on Sheik. (hitstun, the trajectory it hits her in, etc)
U-air doesn't work on sheik at 0 - (10 / 20ish). You can catch her out of her double jump though, but if she doesn't jump, you'll go past her. Use n-air if he DIs away from you, then re-grab / u-tilt / up-smash -> move. You can also use u-tilt /up-smash if she doesn't DI and tries to attack you coming down (I forget if u-throw -> u-tilt links when she doesn't DI.....have to test it, or someone can tell me).

Edit: u-throw -> u-tilt when sheik doesn't DI links from 0% - 4%. U-throw -> n-air works from 0%-20%, then she can jump.

noodles

Smash Champion
for doc i just place an upair above him, usually people jump into it XD

Foufy

Smash Apprentice
Anybody have data on uthrow->u-air (or any other cool throw combos) on link?

unknown522

Some guy
Anybody have data on uthrow->u-air (or any other cool throw combos) on link?
In training mode w/o DI, I can get u-throw -> u-air at 35%. With DI is like 50% on a link player. I play with stos usually and I can do u-throw -> u-air on average of 50% +. The times I miss, he always double jumps and pulls a bomb while attempting to go behind me, so if he loses his jump, I know I failed it. Still, he's minus a jump, which is even better anyways and I get a longer combo on him. If I hit with an u-air, then I get a total of 2-4 as a combo.

I dunno when it is guaranteed though, sorry.

Edit: Edited my above post.

Foufy

Smash Apprentice
In training mode w/o DI, I can get u-throw -> u-air at 35%. With DI is like 50% on a link player. I play with stos usually and I can do u-throw -> u-air on average of 50% +. The times I miss, he always double jumps and pulls a bomb while attempting to go behind me, so if he loses his jump, I know I failed it. Still, he's minus a jump, which is even better anyways and I get a longer combo on him. If I hit with an u-air, then I get a total of 2-4 as a combo.

I dunno when it is guaranteed though, sorry.

Edit: Edited my above post.
Ok cool, thanks for your help.
My practice partner plays Link and I'm just starting to tap into all the advanced techniques in the game.
Is it just me or is shffling with Fox like impossible? =(
Thx again for the data.

unknown522

Some guy
SHFFLing has been second nature for me for a long time. It's really important to have in your game.

Also, u-throw -> b-air works a lot sooner than u-throw -> u-air. You might not get a good follow up from it, but you may be able to trick them into doing an attack after, then you can shield or DD away, then attack him.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
SHFFLing has been second nature for me for a long time. It's really important to have in your game.

Also, u-throw -> b-air works a lot sooner than u-throw -> u-air. You might not get a good follow up from it, but you may be able to trick them into doing an attack after, then you can shield or DD away, then attack him.
You can catch their bad DI too, if they like to SDI/NDI your U-airs, they'll make your bair even more horizontal and sets up for edgeguard.

Really, the only worst thing that could happen is if they double stick DI that crap into the ground and tech, but thats pretty hard to do when the whole thing happens in like half a second

TresChikon

Smash Lord
C-stick for ASDI and ctrl for SDI?

You can ASDI with the ctrl stick too.

However, when you vary the directions you survive at much higher percents.

For example, if you're Falcon and you just Up+B'ed onto the stage at 130%, Marth is about to tipper your laggy butt with F-Smash.

You quarter circle SDI with the center of the quarter circle being horizontal and NDI in the same direction as well. Now this may seem counter intuitive as far as survival DI dictates upwards DI is best, but this allows your trajectory to be nearly parallel with the stage, it's not there yet, but should be around 5 or 10 degrees off the horizontal.

This distance is still a bit too far to allow a tech, but with ASDI which allows one frame of input at the last frame of hitlag, you can tech the attack. By holding the C-Stick down, you influence yourself down a bit to cover those few degrees that you are above the stage. Then by pressing R or L, you will tech the attack and significantly reduce the knockback.

Note that you cannot do this on moves that send your horizontal like Fox's D-Smash.

This technique is way easier for when you are expecting a blow, like waking up from a rest, but in battle, double-sticking becomes very challenging with your quick judgement on whether or not taking the hit is inevitable (whiffed nair and about to take an elbow from CF.)

Foufy

Smash Apprentice
C-stick for ASDI and ctrl for SDI?

You can ASDI with the ctrl stick too.

However, when you vary the directions you survive at much higher percents.

For example, if you're Falcon and you just Up+B'ed onto the stage at 130%, Marth is about to tipper your laggy butt with F-Smash.

You quarter circle SDI with the center of the quarter circle being horizontal and NDI in the same direction as well. Now this may seem counter intuitive as far as survival DI dictates upwards DI is best, but this allows your trajectory to be nearly parallel with the stage, it's not there yet, but should be around 5 or 10 degrees off the horizontal.

This distance is still a bit too far to allow a tech, but with ASDI which allows one frame of input at the last frame of hitlag, you can tech the attack. By holding the C-Stick down, you influence yourself down a bit to cover those few degrees that you are above the stage. Then by pressing R or L, you will tech the attack and significantly reduce the knockback.

Note that you cannot do this on moves that send your horizontal like Fox's D-Smash.

This technique is way easier for when you are expecting a blow, like waking up from a rest, but in battle, double-sticking becomes very challenging with your quick judgement on whether or not taking the hit is inevitable (whiffed nair and about to take an elbow from CF.)
I almost understood like a 1/3 of that...
I think I'll stick with learning to shffl.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Space your uair so your body doesn't overlap Jiggs' and it'll miss. You should space uairs in general if possible, otherwise you'll sometimes be naired by Peach, rested by Jiggs, etc etc. This is especially useful at high percents when you really want to keep your stock. Don't those random uthrow uair combo breakers piss you off? : (

JPOBS

Smash Hero
starting at what percent can you upthrow>anything marth? di and not di

i get faired at low percents am i doin it wrong?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
It works from 0 until whenever he dies. 80% on low ceiling levels, and I'm pretty sure thats the minimum for death uairs. It combos past the 90s. You probably aren't jumping fast enough.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
probably.

i have like ADD when it comes to doing gab>moveset with any character. i miss time jumps more than i should. need to work on that. darn me for playing falco for so long lol

TresChikon

Smash Lord
U-air combo breakers make me cry and hate how much more easy they have it with grabs.

I liked your old monkey avatar better noodles.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I like using the 2nd hit of uair(only) sometimes when i NEED a kill off the top.(usually against the marios, luigi, and samus) It out prioritizes the uthrow>air combo breakers and at the very least ties. Its harder to time it tho. This thread is DEF named correctly tho. Timing the uthrow>uair for only the 2nd hit is hard and I only use it as a trump. luckily fox can do like a million things.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
sometimes I dash away and then quickly dash toward for the uair. it can bait aerials that combo break uthrow u-air, and sometimes it can make just the second hit of uair hit.
but yeah.... i prefer uthrow nair or bair...

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I like using the 2nd hit of uair(only) sometimes when i NEED a kill off the top.(usually against the marios, luigi, and samus) It out prioritizes the uthrow>air combo breakers and at the very least ties. Its harder to time it tho. This thread is DEF named correctly tho. Timing the uthrow>uair for only the 2nd hit is hard and I only use it as a trump. luckily fox can do like a million things.
So you purposely let them SDI out of your U-airs at first then, when it really matters you're like F*CK YOU! and super space?

Raining u-airs is fun

Top Bottom