• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
youve gone from so cal to upstate new york playing smash. if that doesnt make you a smash journeyman, I dont know what will. lol.

also, to follow up on that big tournament post I made, me and Rob are going to Impulse in toronto on the 15t/16th. Jesse expressed some interest in going, and said he might get tom to go as well. is anybody else trying to make this very awesome, super close by event? soma? flaw?

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
My team and I have been hosting Fighting Game monthlies, and Melee has joined the lineup for our June tournament. Anyone not making the trip out to Xanadu or Bar Battles on 6/22 should definitely come through to Southern NY. We have some good local players, and we're looking to get better while showing the rest of our local FGC how great Smash is. Alukard and DJN made it to last month's, hopefully they'e coming through again.

http://smashboards.com/threads/host...vc3-ygo-june-22nd-2013-new-windsor-ny.336652/

If my boy EnV comes through, accepting teams MMs.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm visiting brooklyn for the next week. I'd love top play some east coast smashers during this time (melee or P:M). I have no ride though so It might be difficult to get places.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Hey guys, sorry I kinda disappeared after apex. I kinda lost desire for smash but I've been gaining interest again now that I'm done with school. Been playing wifi and watching tons of hype tourney vids. Might go to Dustbowl but I gotta ask my parents about it. Don't know if they'll drive me (and L-Don) like usual or if I'll drive. I'm awful with directions though.

Also I don't think I'll be hosting again until Smash 4 comes out. I think then I might be able to take advantage of it and form some sort of community in Utica when it happens. Though I could be wrong and might host one before. Depends on what seems good at the time, I guess.

So yeah, hi again.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
so seeing that this thread has kind of died off, but how i still like keeping in touch with ya'll with games, do any of you guys play other games? any that are maybe online? blizzard games, League, WoT, any MMO?

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I've kind of lost the drive for smash. I'll show up here in there, but yeah.

@Pat I'll be playing tons of Animal Crossing when that comes out. So if anyone wants to visit towns and ****, hit me up.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
I won't be making the upcoming Dustbowl, guys. I have work 1-9:30 on Saturday and it just makes more sense for me to work for guaranteed money that will most likely be fairly close to the first place Brawl payout, rather than hoping my washed up self can have a good, consistent outing (and even with that, I still may not get 1st place).

An obvious downside is I'll be losing out on the experience, which I was looking forward to. It is also a shame because I was planning to participate in the Injustice tournament as well, since I recently picked up that game.

This isn't the last of me for Brawl, though. I'm still aiming to better myself for any future tournaments that may happen. I just need people to play with, lol.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Figured I'd hit the old my old smash stomping grounds to ask a few questions.

1. Went with a friend to the abyss tcg shop near wappingers falls ny. Apparently they have brawl tournaments there, anyone here actually go there? It's in the hudson valley. When I was active in the brawl scene nothing was going on in the hudson valley competitive wise, it was either all up in wny/cny or nyc/nj.

2. I just want to get out for a day and play a few friendlies. I was thinking of going to that abyss place, but if there isn't really any competition there may just go to some event in nj, it's not even 2 hrs for me. I have a friend with a lot of raw talent, but never played competitively. He thinks chain grabbing is cheap. -_- I haven't actually played against him yet, and I haven't even told any of them that I actually used to play smash on a consistent basis, so I figured I'd brush up on my skills some and school him just for the lulz! Also would be nice to just get out since I'm not doing much with school being out! 3.89 GPA, nursing 1 starts in the fall! Gotta live it up this summer! Always a good way to have fun when I get out to some smash event.

Nice to see you guys are still going at it btw! I was thinking of san the other day when I was up near cornell lol. I get around. ;P

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Who is trying to travel for some smash this summer?

I made a full comprehensive list of all the tournaments that are going down this summer that we can feasibly go to. I need to know if anybody is trying to do some traveling.

I made this list for me and Neil primarily so its listed as it relates to Brawl, and Marvel 3. But its safe to assume that everything on this list sans EVO that lists Brawl will also have a Melee event and everything that lists Marvel, will also have a Street Fighter event.

may 18th, 2 days. East Coast Throwdown New Jersey (marvel)
May 25th. 2 days. UFGT, Chicago. Pandamonium, Rochester. (marvel)
june 1st. Zenith, Jersey. (Melee focused. Also, is a Road to EVO event.). Also, Michigan masters, 1 day (Regional), Detroit (Marvel and Brawl)
June 8th. Dustbowl Syracuse.
June 15th. Impulse, 2 days, Toronto (Brawl and melee.) GUTS, Boston, 2 days (Marvel and Brawl and Melee.)
June 22nd. Bar Battles, Philadephia, 1 day (Marvel
June 29th. Pandamonium, Rochester. CEO, 2 days, Orlando
July 6th. KTAR 7, 1 day, Jersey (Brawl)
July 13th. EVO in Vegas
July 20th. Nothing currently on schedule.
July 27th Pandamonium, Rochester
August 3rd. SKTAR 2, Jersey, 2 days (Brawl focus)
August 10th. No tournaments on schedule
August 17th. Summer Jam, Philly, 2 days. (Marvel)
August 24th. Smashachusetts, Boston, 1 day (Brawl)
August 31st. Pandamonium, Rochester
September 7th. No tournaments on schedule.
September 14th. The Fall Classic, North Carolina, 2 days (Marvel)

Im not going to all of these, these are just all of our options for tournaments that we would feasibly be able to or want to go to

Also, if you guys look up Pandamonium: Exodus on FB, thats teh monthly tournament series that Amber and myself are running along with 2 other people. And the games that we will be running there are up for votes, so if you guys want smash there, we can do that. They will be going down on the last saturday of each month.
This is a bit late (what's with Smashboards not emailing you about watched threads?), but I'll respond. No Skillz and I are looking to attend SKTAR. I'm also interested in KTAR and Smashachusetts.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Figured I'd hit the old my old smash stomping grounds to ask a few questions.

1. Went with a friend to the abyss tcg shop near wappingers falls ny. Apparently they have brawl tournaments there, anyone here actually go there? It's in the hudson valley. When I was active in the brawl scene nothing was going on in the hudson valley competitive wise, it was either all up in wny/cny or nyc/nj.

2. I just want to get out for a day and play a few friendlies. I was thinking of going to that abyss place, but if there isn't really any competition there may just go to some event in nj, it's not even 2 hrs for me. I have a friend with a lot of raw talent, but never played competitively. He thinks chain grabbing is cheap. -_- I haven't actually played against him yet, and I haven't even told any of them that I actually used to play smash on a consistent basis, so I figured I'd brush up on my skills some and school him just for the lulz! Also would be nice to just get out since I'm not doing much with school being out! 3.89 GPA, nursing 1 starts in the fall! Gotta live it up this summer! Always a good way to have fun when I get out to some smash event.

Nice to see you guys are still going at it btw! I was thinking of san the other day when I was up near cornell lol. I get around. ;P
1. That was my secret place to win money. They haven't had one in a while I think. Not really a competitive scene in the hudson valley, just me. I just travel up to Troy tournaments or down to Jersey stuff.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
1. That was my secret place to win money. They haven't had one in a while I think. Not really a competitive scene in the hudson valley, just me. I just travel up to Troy tournaments or down to Jersey stuff.
My team and I are hosting 2 multi-game tournaments this month in Newburgh (Orange County) and Salt Point (Dutchess County), both of which will be running Melee. We have a small core of competitive players in Smash and are hoping to see more of the good TriState players make an appearance.

Hostile Takeover's Battle Arena #3 (Monthly SSBM, AE, MvC3) 6/22
https://www.facebook.com/events/543497769021623

Hostile Takeover Presents: Salty Saturday (SSBM, INJ, MvC3) 6/29
https://www.facebook.com/events/600892533267985

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's been a while goggles. Nice too see life has been treating ya well. Im working this weekend unfortunately so I can't make it. I don't live in syracuse anymore either, I live in new paltz now. Let me know when that abyss place is doing another event.itsnotmyfault, and I'll attend. Im probably not much better then most of the scrubs around here at this point though. Just picked up a controller today and hopped on wifi and watched some videos. It's coming back pretty quickly.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Soooooooooooooooo...
New Smash. Thoughts?

Only that I wont put nearly as much time and effort into being good at that game as I did in brawl. :( Its not that I dont want too but Im just at a point in life where I can't. 2 more years for my ADN and then another 2 for my BSN. . . Cant wait till Im 29!! Something tells me Ill have better things to do at that point lol.

In a "not going to play the game competitively for hours on end" kinda way I am looking forward too it though. But knowing that I'll really suck at that game when playing it will kinda draw away from my enjoyment though. It's never going to be a game like skyrim where I can just enjoy it for what it is, I'll want to know all the advanced AT's and how to actually play the character competitively. =( It's why I stay away from multi-player games now, I take them too seriously. ._. MMO's are even worse for me lol

It's kind of like that movie "Chasing Birds", if anyone has ever seen that movie. The guys get to travel all over the country to really cool places and see all these different birds, nothing wrong with the hobby. But they have to be the best at it, and have to see more birds then the other people out there, and they'll never stop until they win. In the end the one guy leaves his wife to chase the birds. I can't just enjoy the game casually for a bit and then put the controller down. It's not like there's something wrong with the game, it just means I'm a ****. LOL Well that's how I used to be anyway. I'm afraid of becoming that guy who takes the game way to seriously again, so I keep away. =x After playing a few wifi matches I want to take 6 hour trips to upstate ny, or run down to nj to give people my money. (Really that's all thats going to happen)

I'll stick to fishing and playing skyrim and reading asoif and the kingkiller chronicles lol. I do enjoy playing with you guys though, and since I already know the upstate smash scene, if I can manage and it's not out of my way I'll def come to events in syracuse/albany if its convenient for me, but no nj/nyc etc even though their closer. =(

I do miss my days of playing competitively though, I had a lot of fun. Unfortunately I quit for a reason, and that reason hasn't gone away yet. =( For all of you guys who can afford to play competitively, kick some ass for me! I'm not trying to judge anyone who does play this game seriously, you just have to have the resources/time to do it. (Responsibly!)

/endrant

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, let's see, my thoughts on Smash 4 so far...

First of all, I'm pretty excited to see Mega Man made the cut this time around. He's a very iconic character and I have some great memories playing some of his games growing up. Villager is a nice addition as well.

Wii Fit Trainer, however, I'm kind of iffy about. It's not that I'm bothered about an unexpected, obscure character making the roster, it's just that if, say, they decide to cap the roster off at 45 characters, no exceptions, and a high demand character like Tails, Geno, a cool RPG character, etc. didn't make it because it would exceed the pre-determined roster cap, then I can definitely see people glaring in frustration at WFT on the character select screen.

Visually, the game looks stunning, and I have to say I'm pretty satisfied with what I've seen. It seems that they took a more stylized, cartoon-like approach this time around, which I feel will work exceptionally well for this kind of game.

The game looks like it plays great from what I've seen. It seems to play similar to Brawl (sorry Melee dudes), but it definitely looks faster and more flashy, which excites me. One thing I was hoping for in this iteration were drastic changes to returning characters' movesets, if not a complete overhaul. I understand that keeping character movesets can be an efficient route to take, and I'm sure it will please some veteran players, but I just can't help but think the game would feel so much more fresh if these characters played a lot differently than in the previous titles. I noticed Bowser had an attack I've never seen before, which is a good sign, but some other characters just seem to have the same old moves.

Also, something seems a bit different about the dodging mechanics in this game. The standard bubble shield is still here, but I couldn't quite tell if the "spot dodge" or whatever it's called has been altered, enhanced, or changed/taken out completely. I'm looking forward to see how that works.

The new sound effects seem cool. Landing hits sounded more brutal on the opponent (almost like a hard punch), which may be something minor, but sometimes it's the little things that can generate excitement in a match and make them that much more memorable. In Brawl, the crowd was implemented pretty well when you landed higher percentage hits, and that always got me pumped when playing.

Other than that, the new stages also look great, and I'm sure the music will be stellar as always.

Well, that's my analysis so far. Feel free to share your thoughts, feelings, agreements/disagreements, etc. because I'm really interested to find out what you guys are thinking about this game so far. I do want to mention that I'm still not sure if I want to get a Wii U yet because the new Smash Bros. is the only game I'm interested in as of now. Regardless, you can bet your ass I'll be playing this game on the day of its release, somehow, someway, haha.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
as far as defensive movements, the only thing thats hard to tell for me is if megamans little squat-duck animation is just a crouch or his spotdodge.

they changed a lot about bowser. in brawl hes supposed to be more evil brooding and menacing. which is why he had the more turtle dragon look that he had in games like mario 64. In games like mario galaxy where he has more of a speaking role, its more of a light hearted type of deal, even though hes still a villain. and thats where i think the more upright, smash 4 model comes from. hes still going to be awful though.

And the stronger hit effects are definitely a plus too. That always made it hype when san played, because every time ike hit you it sounded like cannon fire.

the game looks great and the way they retouched the models for the 3ds version looks awesome imo. The battlefield might also be one of the sickest fighting game stages i've ever seen.

Im probably going to play megaman for the first month or so until people learn to SDI all over again, cause he looks like hes gonna be pretty scrub friendly. Did you see that 45% down smash? Yo OD.

Im not worried about this game in the slightest. Smash is known for great gameplay, accessibility, awesome visuals and amazing music. And putting them together with Namco, who is known for incredible music and incredible character balance, seems like a cant lose scenario. I very rarely have high expectations for games. Because you never know what could happen, but Im actually hard pressed to come up with a reason for this game not to be stellar.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
just by looking at basic movement styles, i see wii fit trainer being a mix of sheik and ZSS. she seems to move around like ZSS but has a move set similar to that of sheik. I don't see why people are so butthurt when there have been characters like this already.

as for megaman, that dSmash does look ****ing sick, and the meteor smash seems cool, but honestly the rest of his moves seem awful. like it seemed like nothing had enough knock back to be very useful, except maybe smash attacks. if even. i still think he will have really cool camping style but when it comes to getting the kill, i feel like its going to be samus all over again (in terms of being able to camp, but not much close up/kill potential). this is all based on very little game play though. there is no way of knowing if any "good" hit boxes were used, or suck like that.

as for villager, I can imagine of al the new characters he is going to be another sonic type ordeal minimum. will start in mid or high tier, and eventually will just stay mid tier for his career. he looks like he might have some cool set ups, and just quirky game play, but nothing that seems OP.

my bets are on link moving up to mid tier, along with bowser. mario still looks aweful, and i think DK is going to be more agile, and less power (like they are doing with bowser).

tl;dr, it is hard to know for sure what characters are like because they arent played professionally in the trailers. still looks fun.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
The way I usually approach Smash, or any other fighting game for that matter, is to play with the whole roster, then use who fits my playstyle the best and also the one I feel I will be able to reach the highest possible level of success with. In Brawl, Lucario fits that criteria. In this game, I'm hoping it's Mega Man, but I honestly have no clue who I'll end up using. I'm usually successful with slower, floatier characters, so we'll have to see how MM plays. If Mewtwo makes a comeback, I'm sure that's who I'll be destined to use, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, Mewtwo as a character is pretty awesome, lol.

MM is just so hype though, I'm crossing my fingers that he works out for me. Maining Villager would be pretty rad as well, haha.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
ill probly play the new ones. melee is done with no gc's controllers and need for tube tvs. it was so much fun tho (: so glad to have met everyone ive met the many years and get that one last little bit of tourny experience at dustbowl.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yo mana. number 1. youre awesome.
number 2. you better come back for my first smash 4 tournament at least.
number 3. where is your sig from.

x13mako

Smash Ace
I don't have much reaction to the new character reveals. One thing is that I'm really happy they used Rush and Megaman's power changing ability, but I have no feeling until I actually use them.

GoodleShoes

Smash Apprentice
Hoping this is the right place, I'm looking for a group to play with that's close to me. (Rome, NY which is close to Syracuse in Central NY) If there is a group close I'd greatly appreciate any help getting in contract with them, thanks.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
there is no next upstate tournament. nobody has anything planned until the next dustbowl. which is october. nobody even asked for the results of the last one, thats how many people werent there.

At this point were just going to run smash tournaments every once in a while as we can just as a placeholder until smash 4 comes out. because people arent going to really start showing up until then.

but the thread title is still outdated.
change it to NYS social: aka. beta and goggles do stuff sometimes.
or
NYS social; this region fake.

GoodleShoes

Smash Apprentice
Just to clarify, (I just read about Dustbowl 7) the next one will be in Syracuse sometime in October? Is there a definite date? This will be my first tournament oh man I can't wait to get wrecked.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. No there is not a definite date. I am in close contact with the main Event Organizer, though. So as soon as the date is set, it will be posted here, and then I will make a thread for it.

2. Do you play any fighting games other than Smash? There's ton of tournaments going on all over you if you play any of the traditional fighters (street fighter, marvel, tekken and so on...) if youd rather not wait 4 months to attend something.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm very likely flying into Buffalo on September 12th and need housing for 1 night. Can anyone help me out? I'll play Smash with you and stuff.

Do you guys have a facebook group or anything that you organize stuff on or is it just this smashboards thread?

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
as far as defensive movements, the only thing thats hard to tell for me is if megamans little squat-duck animation is just a crouch or his spotdodge.
Yeah, I noticed the spot dodge is still there after watching the trailer a second time. And yeah, I have no idea how that squat-duck defensive move works, lol.

but the thread title is still outdated.
change it to NYS social: aka. beta and goggles do stuff sometimes.
or
NYS social; this region fake.
I still want to play Brawl and be a part of this scene! We would need to find a way to generate mass appeal across upstate NY again, which is going to be difficult considering the game is over 5 years old now.

I felt the scene around here started to die down a bit when San and Cura left. They are two of our best players who motivated a lot of people to get better at the game, after all. I know Cura is in SC, but Sanford, where you at?

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Thinking about chilling a bit this year and try to recruit some new players/generate local hype in Utica next year. I do wanna try and coordinate with you guys but I've been thinking about trying to get some new faces and cater to the younger scene. Might be the end of me hosting Melee or even Brawl.

As for myself I'm probably not gonna do anything outside of wifi for about a year, I've pretty much did what I wanted (make it to APEX) so I'm just gonna watch livestreams of tourneys and play wifi until then (and learn how to navigate better so I can travel on my own, lol).

Sorry for not making it to Dustbowl.

Top Bottom