• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
is that you being pessimistic or is that just because there is a small amount of upstate brawl players

i've already played some people so im satisfied.

Frank_desu

Smash Cadet
So I've been lurking on and off for a while now...

I know it's probably old news to most but just yesterday I heard about the Project M thing that's been in the works and that totally reignited my interest in the series. So can somebody clue me in to what's up with this particular group? Where do you guys play at? You guys do tournaments or anything like that? You play melee? you play brawl? maybe project m?? ... :) For the record I live in Depew which is not too far from Buffalo.

So yeah let me know what's up and give whatever advice you have for someone looking to get involved in this little community. with any luck maybe i can get some of my friends to join me ^

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
I know it's probably old news to most but just yesterday I heard about the Project M thing that's been in the works and that totally reignited my interest in the series. So can somebody clue me in to what's up with this particular group? Where do you guys play at? You guys do tournaments or anything like that? You play melee? you play brawl? maybe project m?? ... :) For the record I live in Depew which is not too far from Buffalo.

So yeah let me know what's up and give whatever advice you have for someone looking to get involved in this little community. with any luck maybe i can get some of my friends to join me ^
Some people at RIT play it. I don't know if there's anything close to you
Because I live in Ra-cha-cha

There's an event this weekend with P:M
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=327697

Frank_desu

Smash Cadet
Some people at RIT play it. I don't know if there's anything close to you
Because I live in Ra-cha-cha

There's an event this weekend with P:M
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=327697
Well it's not close but it's also not out of the question. sure beats the drive to PA I did once...what a nightmare..ugh..

But yeah do they do these events often? Not sure if I'd wanna just jump in -- should really dust off the cobwebs not that it would matter either though haha. One of the big obstacles for me or really anyone in terms of wanting to get better has always been the lack of a decent online. So you have to rely on in person play to have any hope of getting better...so outside of tournaments is there ever any just casual play events? Also speaking of which what kind of turnout is typical to see at RIT?

sorry to spam you with questions ^^

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
But yeah do they do these events often?
The tournaments around her come every few months and its never really consistent so I dont really know what to tell you with that.

Not sure if I'd wanna just jump in -- should really dust off the cobwebs not that it would matter either though haha.
Exactly. If it doesnt matter, theres no need to worry about it. Its better that way anyway.

so outside of tournaments is there ever any just casual play events?
theres clubs and weekly improptu meet ups and everything like that in Rochester and Syracuse, but the Buffalo people, if they still exist dont keep in contact as much so you would have to find them and talk to them about stuff in terms of people to play with in your area.

Also speaking of which what kind of turnout is typical to see at RIT?
about 20. Spread out over a number of smash games, sometimes less sometimes more.
sorry to spam you with questions ^^
"The man who asks a questions will be a fool for a minute. The man who does not ask a question, may be a fool for a lifetime."

Frank_desu

Smash Cadet
The tournaments around her come every few months and its never really consistent so I dont really know what to tell you with that.

Exactly. If it doesnt matter, theres no need to worry about it. Its better that way anyway.

theres clubs and weekly improptu meet ups and everything like that in Rochester and Syracuse, but the Buffalo people, if they still exist dont keep in contact as much so you would have to find them and talk to them about stuff in terms of people to play with in your area.

about 20. Spread out over a number of smash games, sometimes less sometimes more.

"The man who asks a questions will be a fool for a minute. The man who does not ask a question, may be a fool for a lifetime."

So I've been giving it some consideration. Guys, I love smash. Like, I really love smash bros. It's the one series that is unique for me in that it satisfies my competitive needs as well as keeping me constantly entertained both in playing and even spectating. A lack of an online feature and friends too content with the CoD generation of nonsense has kept me from ever being anything other then a scrub... But y'know what **** it -- I used to commute 3 days a week to college surely I can drive an hour to do something that I really enjoy...even if it is just to get my *** kicked lol (for now...)

But yeah really good chance I'll show up at RIT this saturday and if you guys dont mind I'd be happy to join in once in a while whenever you do your casual play events. Like I said I did an hour long commute 3x a week for quite some time..it shouldn't be a big deal. Cause yeah I can confirm there is no smash community in the buffalo area.. it's all Marvel vs Capcom and soul calibur here...such a shame :/

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
For the record. I love both of those games. And if i could switch places with you... I probably would lol.

That being said. I do know of ONE guy who lives in Buffalo that is itching to come play smash with the Rochester guys at every oppurtunity possible. If you give me your facebook ill hook you up with him

:phone:

Frank_desu

Smash Cadet
For the record. I love both of those games. And if i could switch places with you... I probably would lol.

That being said. I do know of ONE guy who lives in Buffalo that is itching to come play smash with the Rochester guys at every oppurtunity possible. If you give me your facebook ill hook you up with him

haha : P

yeah sure why not. always willing to meet new people.

https://www.facebook.com/fvacanti?ref=tn_tnmn

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
KID i've been posting on the upstate fighting page, so thank you.

just hooking kids up left and right haha

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I don't have anything up here at Syracuse University with me. I didn't know how my rooming would turn out (I'm in an open triple) so I just left everything back.

All I have is my GCC. If I had my stuff I'd definitely record it for you though...the next time I'm coming home is in November, I'm sure you'd be able to get your stuff recorded long before then.

Azeal I didn't know you lived upstate

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Depending on if I can even go to anyone else, idk many people who record, so yeah.

But yah, now you do, lol.
Been forever since I last spoke to ya, ha. But anyways, as per the recordin' for what I saw of the post, I -may- be able to help ya out. I still have my capture card but no Wii, so don't think I'd be of much help at the moment, but ya never know. PM me sometime and we'll chat.

Edit: Also, back in NY peeps! Now...to see if I can get money for Dustbowl4...

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
i actually havent played brawl since we went to jesse's house. sharky when do you plan on doing something with dan again?

im posting here because my phone is being a douchebag

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
i actually havent played brawl since we went to jesse's house. sharky when do you plan on doing something with dan again?

im posting here because my phone is being a douchebag
lol i literally can not even remember the last time i played brawl.

I did play melee in august though.

Sharky

Smash Master
I've been bugging dan here and there, he hasn't been available when I'm available yet lol, when that happens I'll hit you up =P

Frank_desu

Smash Cadet
I know one of you guys mentioned something that goes on in Rochester on Fridays no? Where and what time is that at? I missed out on going to UB this week so whatever.... to Rochester! xD

Frank_desu

Smash Cadet
Rit smash club in the sau at 8. We meet either above or below fireside lounge.

Ok bear in mind I don't know right from left as soon as I enter the campus grounds haha : P

But I'm gonna assume it's somewhere in 6F on this map here...

http://www.rit.edu/fa/facilities/si...ages/Campus Map August 2012 8.5 x11-Color.pdf

Also what do you mean by above or below the fireside lounge? What's this fireside lounge you speak of? Really if you can pretend like you're giving directions to a 7 year old that'd be fantastic. : D

huMps

Smash Ace
SAU means the Student Alumni Union Building. If you come into the campus from Jefferson rd (Route 252) just go straight untill that main entrance drive ends. It ends right in front of the SAU building. You'll need to back track to find a parking spot but at least that way you will have seen the building and be able to find it on foot.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
theres actually 2 entrances on Jefferson rd. Its better for him to call someone that night when hes close so he can get directed to the place in real time.

Xubble

Smash Ace
So I'm back from my hiatus. And I'll be leaving NYS for a few years for Vegas. I don't think I'll be coming back here to live. :(

On the plus side, I'll probably be heading to Dustbowl 4!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
good for you man. Ill be glad to at least meet you one time. ANd Im pretty sure that NY is kinda lame and its good that you get to get out and see more.

Xubble

Smash Ace
I gotta remember who else I need to play. I think Omega Tyrant wanted to play me. And something about seeing who was the best D3 in NYS.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I used to hate Dedede dittos, but they've managed to grow on me somehow. Pretty fortunate too, as that's probably my best way to defeat another Dedede.

Xubble

Smash Ace
Grab -> CG to edge -> infinite -> kill move of choice

You're approaching? Shieldgrab.

Camping it out? Me too.

I don't even wanna think about running the timer. ._.

Xubble

Smash Ace
Ftilt, dtilt, waddle dees, fair

Thaaaat's about all the (good) disjoint you can really muster against D3's grab range.

Top Bottom