• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
I didn't object to you being able to beat him. I've seen it happen quite a few times, even with mk. I was just saying that he's certainly not trash with mk gone, and the pikachu is quite legit.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
You can ask him yourself, at this point theres no way hed beat me if he didnt have an mk crutch to lean on.

Same goes for cura.

and the last brawl national was pound. unless you count LSC this past weekend. I dont.
You mean the last brawl national NYS went to? Because Genesis happened. :s

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Rofl. you can ask them yourself.

Ask why Cura plays mk now.
Its because ICs are too hard to be consistent with. And he likes easy wins.

Ask Neil why he plays mk.
As a matter of fact 'crutch' wasnt even my word, he refered to it as that himself. Im just repeating his words.

I mean, youve experienced it yourself.
You randomly played 2 games of brawl with me a couple weeks back.
First game you went peach and i blasted you without a sweat.
Second game you went MK and nearly beat me, and thats without even knowing anything about the character

Genesis happened since pound?

if so, my bad.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Not to avoid the simpleness of MK, im pretty sure ive beaten you (goggles) with other characters like pikachu/marth/kirby all in tournament.

I don't use MK because IC is inconsistent, I use it because this region doesnt know how to compete against MK. My mk sucks vs oor or people who know the mu. My good wins have been with other my actual main characters.

Dr.g / San understand the mk match up and i cant use it vs them at all. No one else in this region understands it and get worked.

Ive lost with mk everytime ive used it against oor people that understand the mu.
I lost to sauc3,tusm,k-9,doom,chaz,c018,xzax,kt all with mk. But have beaten them and others with my ic/marth.

Point is, cant really blame mk as a reason for losing matches blame your match up knowledge. Even more so when you can complain about losing to pocket mks like mine and neils Lol.

To patrick, as far as the PR goes, The gap i was referring i kinda meant in a different way. I started a top 5 PR for representation. The top is the only people that can mildy compete against oor people every one can say that they can, but usually dont prove it. only Goggles, Me, Neil,San and drg are the only people here that can make it out of pools in a national and progres through bracket. Everyone else cant even make it out of round 1 pools.

But what you guys do is no longer really up to me. Who besides goggles wants thread control? Rob?

MetalPat

Smash Ace
To patrick, as far as the PR goes, The gap i was referring i kinda meant in a different way. I started a top 5 PR for representation. The top is the only people that can mildy compete against oor people every one can say that they can, but usually dont prove it. only Goggles, Me, Neil,San and drg are the only people here that can make it out of pools in a national and progres through bracket. Everyone else cant even make it out of round 1 pools.

But what you guys do is no longer really up to me. Who besides goggles wants thread control? Rob?
i know vibe and i also want it.

and in reference to the "representation", this brings me back to one of the main points i stated before. why would you, in the next pr, include yourself and neil as people who "WILL" represent competition to oor players, when both of you have said you are done after apex. its like false advertisement.

"come to our next tournament and play against our best pikachu in NY", only when they get there, they find out that pikapika is inactive.

all the more reason to make the pr with players who ARE CURRENTLY playing, not who have played in the past 6 months.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Not to avoid the simpleness of MK, im pretty sure ive beaten you (goggles) with other characters like pikachu/marth/kirby all in tournament.
whoooaaaaaa there buddy. Youve never beaten me with pikachu in tournament. Id kill myself if that happened.

And to be clear, you beat me with kirby, once, 3 years ago. Because you counterpicked brinstar, one game, and id never played one before, but if you feel the need to drudge that up I guess you have that right.

Also the only time you beat me with marth was at that rinky dink smash fest at your apt where I played falco the entire time to train him.

Every other time its either been mk or Ics. also, money match, either character next time I see you.
Even more so when you can complain about losing to pocket mks like mine and neils Lol.
1. Neils been playing with me in this game for close to 4 years. Im sorry if I cant win my characters worst matchup with a guy that knows the matchup inside and out.

2. the character is banned for a reason.

only Goggles, Me, Neil,San and drg are the only people here that can make it out of pools in a national and progres through bracket. Everyone else cant even make it out of round 1 pools.
this makes me sad.
I made this thread before you even got here, why are you so reluctant to give it back to me. Ive been here more than you even since I gave it to you. So I dont see what your issue is.

Sharkys right tho. whats goood with apex.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
At a school tournament. Lost to some beast players in brawl here in Binghamton that I've never even heard of. It's been a humbling experience. Also we're planning organizing tournaments during the Spring semester. I'll keep you guys updated.

Xubble

Smash Ace
So odds are I'll be failing this semester of college. I'll be getting kicked out of the house sometime in December, and I don't have a place to stay.

Yeah, don't expect me at Apex. -_-

flaw

Smash Apprentice
if that's the case dude and you value your education you gotta drop some stuff and study more. go visit professors and tell them you're taking things more seriously and ask what you can do to show it. even if you think its too late i think this is a case of better late than never

if you think college isn't for you or your major is gonna be almost useless irl then it's not the end of the world and ignore the above

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Non PR related question: For encyclopedic purposes, do you guys think San has accomplished enough to be considered a "Top professional", or has he not done enough to be considered above "Professional"?

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Non PR related question: For encyclopedic purposes, do you guys think San has accomplished enough to be considered a "Top professional", or has he not done enough to be considered above "Professional"?
it would be an iffy subject based on how people will define the terms.
being a professional to me, would mean that you are placing in the money, somewhat frequently.

but to be a top professional, i would say it takes alot more of the understanding of the game itself, as well as being able to place in the money using multiple characters, meaning you understand the games mechanics well enough to play the seperate characters at professional level.

having san mostly use ike would make me deem him more of just a professional, but with him having made so many strides and acheivements with/for ike alone, it really puts him at the top and coudl justifiably be considered a top professional from that alone.

tl;dr i really couldn't decide either way. having known and met him i would say top pro, but basing it on the wider picture, its more just a professional.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Dr.g / San understand the mk match up and i cant use it vs them at all. No one else in this region understands it and get worked.
I'm gonna have to disagree with this one in defense of myself. I understand the mk matchup fairly well. It is just a couple of my key flaws that may make people believe otherwise. Yes, I can't get on the stage against him, but that applies for any player using any character who's good at stage control and edgeguarding. Using mk just makes the situation worse for me because of his off stage capabilities. However, as far as the matchup goes (you might want to even say matchup on stage) , I understand it pretty well.

I think I'm much more capable than you put me out to be, but of course I will have to prove it first. I definitely think I'm going out of first round and beyond. Remember, my unique playstyle takes people by surprise. I may even do better OOS than around here because everybody knows me so well.

put it to a vote and let's be done with this crap for now, apex should be the main topic of discussion
He's right, we should all be collaborating right now to prepare and help one another get ready for Apex instead of arguing who is better than who.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Goggles, is it possible that you're just worse against MK than you are other characters? I will admit, he's a character that can be picked up with relative ease, and it's easier to get success with him than most others, I think (I'm saying easier, not that playing MK at a relevant level is easy, because it isn't), but people can just have bad matchups.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
1 It's Goggles' thread, he should get firsties because he's active/networked and plays both games.
2 I check this thread fairly frequently (sometimes multiple times per day)
3 I'm not up to date on the PRs, but I could easily relay the information in an artsy way.

If ppl want a bunch of amazing (how biased!) lists/pics like sinks & hurricanes, I could do those for each new PR.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
but to be a top professional, i would say it takes alot more of the understanding of the game itself, as well as being able to place in the money using multiple characters

having san mostly use ike would make me deem him more of just a professional, but with him having made so many strides and acheivements with/for ike alone, it really puts him at the top and coudl justifiably be considered a top professional from that alone.
Um... M2K?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Goggles, is it possible that you're just worse against MK than you are other characters? I will admit, he's a character that can be picked up with relative ease, and it's easier to get success with him than most others, I think (I'm saying easier, not that playing MK at a relevant level is easy, because it isn't), but people can just have bad matchups.
Ive practiced, and researched the MK matchup more than anyone here by far. I will say, that the only way/reason I can beat even a semi skilled player is if I basically read their mind for the entirety of the match. He has so many options that cant be reacted to, that you have to know what hes going to ahead of time in order to not get hit by him. Thats why you did so well against me. Because you didnt really know what you were doing, I couldnt read you.

That being said, yes, I am worse against MK than I am against other characters, because the character is broken, as well as my mains worst matchup in the game.

there is enough of a difference between placing in the money in a couple huge tournaments vs placing top 2 in almost every tournament you ever play worldwide
That doesnt change the fact that you said that one of your requirements for someone to be a top player is multiple characters.

To answer the question. A player is a top pro originally when he wins or places high at multiple tourneys consistently. After the initial phase, you become a top pro by beating other players that are considered top level pros.

San did this when he took a game off of ally (one of the best players in the world, beat razer (top 3 snake in north america.) and beat gnes (top 2 diddy in NA) Sorry for the name search gnes I promise im not dissing you.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
That being said, yes, I am worse against MK than I am against other characters, because the character is broken, as well as my mains worst matchup in the game.
You really think he's Sonic's worst? I disagree.

I think Marth, Lucario, Wario, and Game & Watch are worse.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman

Ohh baww Sonic mains, bawww. ;)

How is Snake not even mentioned? Oh yeah, nobody uses Snake in this region. A new secondary of mine maybe? Well one thing is certain, Cura will be free, haha.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

I could honestly probably coach you to a win against wario and game and watch in real time.

Marth matchup is only bad if you cant space. Its even if your good at that.

Lucario is stupid. Its not worth playing unless you are a fair amount better than the other guy. Still not as bad as MK tho. Play Neils MK, hes an expert in the matchup. Mk just has too many easy answers to sonic and the answers sonic has to MK are few, far between and far too difficult to be consistent with.

Have you ever seen a toddler with an adult, and the toddler tries to run away from the adult, and the adult just steps over to where the toddler is trying to go and just stands there and blocks his path, and every time the toddler tries to go in a different direction, the adult just steps in front of him and blocks his path? Thats what the sonic MK matchup is like.

As far as snake goes, its not as bad simply because sonic is good offstage and can put snake offstage easily. And any time a good offstage character puts snake offstage, he eats tons of damage.

Also, there was a time before you 2 got here, and in that time, Jesse was a brawl snake main and won something like 10 tournaments in a row. And this was back when we had regular biweeklys.

I definitely took the time to learn that matchup.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Lies and slander, I will say time and time again, the matchup wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the compounded problem of sonic's inability to kill and lucario's aura. Everybody has to deal with the aura though, not just Sonic, so it's just not enough to keel me over on my perspective for this. Besides, Lucario isn't that great until he's like 80+% anyways. It's like I have to rely on losing to win, quite the paradox huh?

Now marth vs. lucario is what I call a stupid matchup, or mk vs. anyone loll.

You may be a fair amount better than me now, but I'm coming back with a vengeance, working hard, and will recalim my title soon enough. Sonic vs. Lucario and Fox vs. Lucario mms at Apex, so I can 1) Beat you at your best and 2) Beat you so you don't have the excuse of only losing because of the matchup! $1 vs $20??? I'm poor. You did it before and were victorious, am I right? Who's to say you won't be again? :)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Lies and slander, I will say time and time again, the matchup wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the compounded problem of sonic's inability to kill and lucario's aura. Everybody has to deal with the aura though, not just Sonic, so it's just not enough to keel me over on my perspective for this. Besides, Lucario isn't that great until he's like 80+% anyways. It's like I have to rely on losing to win, quite the paradox huh?
If the character was better he wouldnt lose the matchup because he wouldnt be as bad.
thats not the point

I will easily concede that if sonic had a move that could kill at 120, he would probably win the lucario matchup. But as it is, Sonic cant kill lucario until 160 at the very earliest, which makes this an awful matchup because he has to deal with the aura moreso than every other character save for samus.

I mean. contrast the matchup between sonic and lucario (lucario wins desicively) and the matchup between fox and lucario (fox wins easily).

Whats the difference?
sonic kills lucario at 180
fox kills lucario at 100

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Well for Lucario fox, there's plenty of more factors tying in than just upsmash being able to kill him early. I It sucks facing characters where your projectile is rarely a safe option. Fox wins it, but not too a huge degree. I'd say 55-45 Fox. Lucario can still outrange him and avoid his upsmash, that may have just not been indicative on a stage like Frigate against someone ignorant like me.

Sonic, I'ma have to say 60-40 Lucario, but everybody is acting like it's 90-10, which just doesn't compute to me based on such a minimal amount of information given.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
wow, that was kind of uncalled for =P

I dont do ratios for brawl anymore but It definitely a solid -2 on the matchup chart for sonic, and the only other matchups that are listed as being that bad for him are Falco (easier) olimar (about the same) and MK (def. harder)

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I know, seriously. People will wait an entire month for a tournament just to mm someone for $5, whereas I make about $800-900 a month when I'm working part time at Wegmans (though, I am not working right now because of student teaching, which is why I have like no money.)

I will tell everybody and this includes you Goggles that I only want to play money matches because it is my only sure way of knowing that somebody is giving me their absolute best when playing me.

Edit: And we'll see about Snake vs. Sonic. Throw that in my stack of mms that I plan on challenging you in at Apex.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
"Oh, I'm soooo cool, because I have a job, and I make such and such, and I don't take video games seriously, and blah blah blah."

Having a job is a very good thing. The needless elitism is not.

Top Bottom