• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@amber, fried rice pls!
preferably with any meat.

However that might not be necessary since we have just scheduled a tournament relatively soon.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
that sucks, dude. Im sorry to hear that. Theres a dude up here in rochester thats going thru the same thing with his parents seperating. hes around the same age as you too.

Eaode

Smash Champion
uh

for reall

what tourney is this? link?

also i feel stuck between two worlds of smash right now

ignoring the fact that i havent been playing much for that past two weeks and am a little rusty

i feel like i can make the decision to stay playing with like all the people at smash club, who imm pretty much a little better than (except minh who actually does show up), or i can pursue all of the apartment people, who ill get ***** by but eventually get better from.

the problem is the apartment doesnt feel accessible to me lol

you guys dont really show up to anything beside tourneys D:

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
uh

for reall

ignoring the fact that i havent been playing much for that past two weeks and am a little rusty

i feel like i can make the decision to stay playing with like all the people at smash club, who imm pretty much a little better than (except minh who actually does show up), or i can pursue all of the apartment people, who ill get ***** by but eventually get better from.

smashing at rit involves me waiting for like 6-10 hours on wednesdays or fridays. i try to set up random smashings on campus but i've given up mostilly. i sometimes go the the apt but i've been mad busy lately.... i offer to give ppl rides but they always want me to wait like 4 hours and i get really bored and hungry.

or you could bluntly ask me idk.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats because theyre too lazy to go out of their way to help people other than them. and out of the way for them means anything out side their house.

a nub

Smash Ace
armando

actually posting for this first time in ages

what a *****

also if anyone here drives to the apartment on fridays after 5-5:30, can you hook me up with a ride?

Minic

Smash Apprentice
you guys should try to make it to wednesday egs more often. You can keep smashing after it's over in the fireside lounge and teach these guys who are trying to get better, Cuz while i try, i still think i'm terrible at teaching smash to ppl.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
you guys should try to make it to wednesday egs more often. You can keep smashing after it's over in the fireside lounge and teach these guys who are trying to get better, Cuz while i try, i still think i'm terrible at teaching smash to ppl.
I'd go, but work johns ><

Also prolly stopping by the apartment tonight

huMps

Smash Ace
Jermey I can give you a ride. I don't go every friday but probably about twicw a month or so. Just give me your number and I'll call you if I'm going. I usually get there around 9 sometimes earlier. I might go to egs tomorrow. If so we got to play.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
uh

for reall

Sorry. We sort of do our own thing lately. Used to be a lot more gung ho to go over to RIT but not as much these days. Try getting in touch with us. We are usually psyched to have people come over that actually want to learn. It's the vocal and active members of the community we really enjoy.

thats because theyre too lazy to go out of their way to help people other than them. and out of the way for them means anything out side their house.

I recall us opening our place up virtually all the time. Having a 24/7 place to go to seems going out of courtesy's way for people. And while I am unemployed at the moment, most of us have jobs and are as busy as everyone else. It's not like we literally do nothing.

The problem I run into with a lot of people I try to teach when they ask, is that they get beat, and when you actually try to help, they are like, no I ****ed this up, or I meant to do this. I would rather just people listen, or ask me questions about ****. But now since most people seem to think they have **** handled I just tell them what to do whether they want to hear it or not.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I never give advice, because I hate to come off as arrogant. As a player I usually strip myself of pride before playing, but many people cannot do the same, and I would hate to make them uncomfortable.

Since I don't give advice, I'm a pretty bad teacher, even when there's lots my opponent can learn from me =/

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I never give advice, because I hate to come off as arrogant. As a player I usually strip myself of pride before playing, but many people cannot do the same, and I would hate to make them uncomfortable.

Since I don't give advice, I'm a pretty bad teacher, even when there's lots my opponent can learn from me =/
If someone gets butthurt over getting advice, they should just quit gaming in general.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
You probably just mean competitive gaming lol. I kinda agree to a certain point, but people's mindsets change with time.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
I'll give Kyle legitimate advice that could help our matches be a lot closer and I get lip. I think Minh is really the only one who listens to me. I get it from good and bad players. Steve has only ever listened to one thing I told him. Beta has a sort of open mind but I never see him. I can't count the amount of times I've told Jeremy to relax his hands lol.

a nub

Smash Ace
I'm actually pretty interested in trying that out but I haven't had time to practice a lot of tech skill.

Thursday I can probably take the whole day to try it out. Gonna have to relearn a lot of muscle memory tho

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
hey now steffon, for the record I always listen to everything you say. Its just that most times I disagree with you for many different reasons of widely varying validity. Also, I think I tend to implement the stuff people say in ways other than they intend at times as well.

Plus, ive been playing just as long as you have, and I give you advice too and you basically do the same thing and either disagree with me based on your own reasoning or implement things differently than I was thinking.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
DuDu- I kind of agree, but I feel like I'm just BARELY at the level I feel comfortable enough giving people advice. The way I see it, I take advice from players who place high and who I feel have not only LEARNED about high level play, but have experienced it. As such, I wouldn't want to give advice to anyone if I'm not in that same position.

But, I will LISTEN to advice from anyone. It's just, I wouldn't want some people sitting there giving me constant advice if they're not in the position I'd like to be in.

Maybe it's just cuz I have a lot of respect for Melee itself. Players who are amazing and who have gone through a lot to get to where they are, I have an immense amount of respect for and I'll gladly listen to them.

Players who are good but not that good it's like...You probably just think you're way better than you are, and most of the time it's right, they're just too blind to see it for how it is, and you gotta ask yourself, "Is that the person I want to be learning from? Is that where I want to be as a player?" And then you seek higher, or put things together on your own.

To be fair, advice from anyone CAN be good. It's the advice itself that you need to be worried about. Just so happens that most advice given from a bad player is probably gonna be bad. Sometimes I test it though anyways just in case.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
In this thread:
Advice

you all know I'll listen to almost any advice that doesn't involve playing meta knight, lol. Or diddy. **** nanners. While snake execution is easy I think it's hard to think him out at high level play sometimes, especially in critical situations. If I had a regular play group right now I'd probably learn him legit alongside all my goofy low tiers.

On that note, hey cura, you still weegee?

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
I think as people mature as players they will start to take advice...til then all you can do is be available I suppose....

Everyone knows how stubborn I was but after the like 300th time of minh telling me to take advice I sat down and slowly grit my teeth and listened bit by bit

If anything with teaching people stress the fact of you're only as good as what you understand about the game, how often you practice and what you practice.

Learning Smash is also not for the feint hearted...

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
honestly, I think I'm probably the most stubborn person when it comes to learning new stuff. So more than likely you're referring to me as not learning anything you've told me. That would be kinda true if that were really what I wanted to know. Honestly I need someone telling me about different things they are reading as opposed to what to do in specific situations. most of my gameplay is figuring out what most people will do in each situation. thus telling me I should do *thing a* when *thing b* happens, is next to useless. I'd rather know the situation so I can punish how i feel like it.

anyways, you guys should come to EGS and smash club. I haven't seen jesse/steffon/foy/snowman/rob/anyone i forgot in forever.

huMps

Smash Ace
I'm always looking for advice. FROM ANYONE. I'm kind of slow in applying it but I usually do I just have to notice myself messing up a few times first. Sometimes I'll get specific advice when playing link that I beleive is wrong only because most people don't know him as well as me, but in general high level play I'm always willing to get advice.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Good stuff guys. It's interesting to hear how everyone takes advice.

Another thing too...I realized, being a smash player and a smash teacher is completely different. Teaching Smash is a skill in itself, as opposed to playing Smash.

Lastly, sometimes it's hard to give advice when people's tech skill needs to be better y'know. The best I feel I can do sometimes would be to tell them to practice Shield pressure with Falco...Learn the timing, practice 30 times in a row w/o messing up, etc.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
it's hard to give advice when people's tech skill needs to be better
Way too true. My techskill definitely limits me. That can make it increasingly difficult to experiment with someone's advice even if it's "good advice." I'm usually better at the risky options because I've had more practice executing them (compared to the conservative options... I need more practice).

I think it's still possible to give "good" advice about overall decision making or strategy execution (and maybe strategy countering).

Slashy

Smash Lord
It's not too hard to teach someone how to play Metaknight well if he or she is good at smash.

-Spam air dodge
-Spam your fastest aerial
-BBBBBBBBB
-Smash down
-Up B
-Grab ledge, do it again

Minic

Smash Apprentice
hey now steffon, for the record I always listen to everything you say. Its just that most times I disagree with you for many different reasons of widely varying validity. Also, I think I tend to implement the stuff people say in ways other than they intend at times as well.

Plus, ive been playing just as long as you have, and I give you advice too and you basically do the same thing and either disagree with me based on your own reasoning or implement things differently than I was thinking.
God i hate giving advice sometimes cuz even tho i wanna help, in the back of my mind i always thinking i might be wrong or going about it wrong. I think this is a pretty cool way of taking advice. I mean there are things which should be taken word for word and executed exactly as explained like certain edge guards, but advice that is more broad or gives leeway, like approaching the next situation and which attack to use to counter this should be experimented because it gives you the opportunity diverge from the norm which could result in a good thing.

Like when someone asks you for help on your homework. You wanna help them by giving them hints on what to do to get the right answer in the end which in smash is like stock i guess but not the exact answer itself. As long as ppl get to the right answer their own way, it's all good. Plus it gives you them opportunity to develope their own style instead of copying some1 elses, which can become predictable if everyone played falco the same way. As long as you don't dictate their every move, and make the entire gameplay a flowchart it lets the player grow from through testing the waters but with a map to guide them a bit. Even if ppl arent following your advice the way you expected, it's still learning which is always cool. There are cases when ppl are doing things totally wrong tho

Top Bottom