• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Inactivity doesn't lead to decrement, it leads to removal. If I'm not active I don't want to be penalized as if I was active. It's childish to include me when there's no new input, whereas the other movement on the list is possible ONLY because of new input. See the inaccuracy here? I'm fine with going down to wherever I'd fit best, but there's no information to support any movement on my part. Only removal. Keep it real please and not fake.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Plus these tournaments you guys are having are basically glorified smash fests... their frequency and size certainly represent them that way. No hate I'm just saying, sai was readily removed when he stopped participating, and we've stopped playing in tournies here at the same time.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Though the tournaments as of late has been small. The skill level is pretty high. Brawl for example the May 1st Tournament though not having over 14 people, Had
Snakeee
Cura
Dr G
JesiahTEG
Pikapika
K.I.D Goggles

And this weekend having around the same amount, had

Cura
Dr G
K.I.D Goggles
Pikapika!
Moss
Sharky

In terms of brawl pr i weigh these tournament even with other tournament that have been thrown in our region. However i do agree they are pretty much smash fests / mini tournaments. But with a 5$ entree fee and the best players in our region competing i would say they are still worthy our making a difference on PR. However i dont know about melee, Dont know much about anything in the area Lol.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Inactivity doesn't lead to decrement, it leads to removal. If I'm not active I don't want to be penalized as if I was active. It's childish to include me when there's no new input, whereas the other movement on the list is possible ONLY because of new input. See the inaccuracy here? I'm fine with going down to wherever I'd fit best, but there's no information to support any movement on my part. Only removal. Keep it real please and not fake.
Your placement hasn't moved at all though. You are at the exact same placement you were before, the only difference Minh is now tied with you. I don't see any decrement whatsoever.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
The trend will likely continue, it makes more sense to remove me now than it does to keep me on for another month when I still won't be attending tournaments. And tying is bad, m'kay. Plus they don't even make sense.

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
FFFFFFFFFFFF

Yeah
lol, cute. No big. It's good that you took the initiative and challenge of one to get a feel if it's your thing or not.

lol just one, look at miss overachiever here :p

Be careful with AP courses not EVERY college accepts every AP course! (or only accept them if you get a 4 or 5 on the exam) Unless you're aiming to do a 4 year degree in 3 years or something (not a bad goal, saves money) then there really isn't much reason to bust your *** like that in high school when you can be having fun. AP courses typically end up covering general education credits more than they cover credits that count toward your major, especially if you're someone that takes as many AP's as possible, which sounds nice in theory, but general ed kinda helps you keep your sanity in college when you start taking harder classes that all pertain to your major.

Plus some general ed classes can be pretty interesting. I found psychology quite interesting when I took it in college, and on top of that it was an easy A.

Just my 2 cents!
For one, I can't john. I only took one AP my sopho year too. :p

Gen Ed courses, from what I've heard from all of my peers that went to their respective colleges, are required by the major just for the soul fact that everyone needs those gen ed courses, which is how, i assume, they're procured that title. It's not like you can't have fun in high school and bust your *** - although I don't particularly think of that way. Taking a f*ck load of APs in high school pays off, I think, in terms of money. I can pay ~$85 to take the courses now and get the credit or I can pay some other person thousands of dollars a year just to take the same thing in another institution. In this case, double digits over quadruple digits any day.

I thought AP Psychology was fun in high school. :p

Depending on which college you go to, they'll accept 3s, which are typically passing, at least. My school accepted threes for English and Social Studies (i.e. government, history), but only accepted 4 + for the math and science courses, because there are many engineer and science based majors at my school. It's context heavy, but it's overall a good investment.

i would avoid dual enrollment schools, if you have the option, if your intention is to go to pursue a four year degree without attending a community college first. From my experience, at least, people who took the dual enrollment classes at my high school only received credit for the local community college, which isn't where any of them wanted to go (places like Virginia Tech, etc)

Idk, I took 5 APs senior year and it was my easiest year in high school.
I have to concur with this. I think by your senior year, you grow accustom to the pace. I only took four that year (I regret not taking more :c) but it was ridiculously easy.

I took a couple junior and senior year. It helps, but don't lose your high school years to studying. Grade school means next to nothing. It's recognized as more of a babysitting program than an educational institution.
Grade school meant a lot to me - and it may be due to the fact that I tried pretty hard. I think it definitely means a lot in terms of what funding you'll get in high school, as well. I know people from my school who seriously over killed their expenses (full ride AND scholarships, which, if you have a surplus, go straight to your pocket instead of to the institution. :D) and went to ivy leagues - something I'm sure San is doing now. And it's because they tried in high school. It doesn't mean sacrificing your fun to the altar of studying, but it does mean self-discipline and, in the future, less interest-accruing loans that swallow people's paychecks and souls whole.

What are you asi- FFFFFFFFFFFFF
It's ironic I say this coming from a largely asian high school that was appropriately AP-tastic. I still only took two APs, phys and chem. Big ones.
Yo MD/VA rocks in school.

I didn't have a lot of asians, but a LOT - i mean, a LOT of Pacific Islanders. They even had their own club, which pretty much absorbed all the orientals in my school. :x

I don't believe institutionalized education is for everyone, so really, bcb, if it's something you're into than do it. But aside from than, AP's and school and all, you know, just do what you're comfortable with. APs come with a lot of stress.

Please excuse me if I appear absurdly cocky or overly didactic. I don't mean to, but I like giving advice about schooling because I reaped the benefits of what I planted and I'd like to help others **** the educational systems for all they've got. <3

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
The trend will likely continue, it makes more sense to remove me now than it does to keep me on for another month when I still won't be attending tournaments. And tying is bad, m'kay. Plus they don't even make sense.
We aren't removing you. The top rankings are accurate currently.

altairian

Smash Lord
We aren't removing you. The top rankings are accurate currently.
I truly don't understand why someone is ASKING to not be on the PR, and you're telling them no. His reasons shouldn't matter at all, he doesn't want to be on it, take him off.

Jesse's better at brawl than at least half the kids on the current PR, but he's not on it due to not participating in tournaments. Why is TML different?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Sai asked so much longer ago to be removed and it was done instantly. I waited for a while, and once I realized I can't participate to represent myself, I wanted off. Once I go to another reasonable event I can be reevaluated, but right now I can't be compared to anyone.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I challenge MDZ to the WNY gauntlet

he has to go through five of us in consecutive sets, he puts up $5, we all put up $5. He can potentially win 25 we all each win a buck.

imo the order should be

5. me (i want to beat him before anyone else can)
4. neil
3. steffon
2. jesse
1. minh (secret weapon)

or something more traditional with jesse last. just throwing this idea out there

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
I truly don't understand why someone is ASKING to not be on the PR, and you're telling them no. His reasons shouldn't matter at all, he doesn't want to be on it, take him off.

Jesse's better at brawl than at least half the kids on the current PR, but he's not on it due to not participating in tournaments. Why is TML different?
I included the people that asked to be removed for the sake of accuracy. Just because someone does not want on does not mean we can inaccurately represent our region. I also ranked additional players to compensate for their "choice."

Sai asked so much longer ago to be removed and it was done instantly. I waited for a while, and once I realized I can't participate to represent myself, I wanted off. Once I go to another reasonable event I can be reevaluated, but right now I can't be compared to anyone.
Just because you are inactive does not mean you aren't good. If you were legitimately retired it would be an entirely different story. But we all know that isn't the case.

@ The Gauntlet Idea:

If he is that confident that he can beat us all, he should put up $5 each.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Mana I'd do that.
Let's do it at the first tournament I'm at with you guys.

Note: I'm not actually a cocky *******. I'm just hyped about playing you guys =)

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
I challenge MDZ to the WNY gauntlet

he has to go through five of us in consecutive sets, he puts up $5, we all put up $5. He can potentially win 25 we all each win a buck.

imo the order should be

5. me (i want to beat him before anyone else can)
4. neil
3. steffon
2. jesse
1. minh (secret weapon)

or something more traditional with jesse last. just throwing this idea out there
I approve.

Also: long time no see, man.

Edit: EMDEEZEEEEEEEEEE, you too.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Who's the best commentator in the region?

Methinks commentated vids for SS3 would add extra hype. We don't even need a stream, hearing people shout and stuff in the region would just make all the vids we would have better.

hubble

Smash Ace
Goggles and I pretty much are the commentators in this region when hype matches happen anyways, because most other people just yell random stuff.

I'm sure we'd do it if asked to at SS3.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
I have a pretty sick golf commentary, but it would be impossible to record accurately as I'd need to be able to watch the screen from far away, and not get too much background noise in. Probably be one of those things where we dub my commentary over the video or something.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, I love steffons golf commentary. He says good stuff and delivers it just right

it had me cracking up while playing it was the best commentary I ever had

hubble

Smash Ace
I have a pretty sick golf commentary, but it would be impossible to record accurately as I'd need to be able to watch the screen from far away, and not get too much background noise in. Probably be one of those things where we dub my commentary over the video or something.
Heres a gif of steffon I made from footage from last tournament:

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

I'm driving to Virginia Beach May 16 - May 23. If you are interested in coming with, I can give you a ride. You will be charged $45 upfront - which includes gas and tolls both ways. I can NOT provide you housing, but I can drop you off some where along the way - like the NOVA. In that respect, the fee will be adjusted accordingly. If you are interested, please let me know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

You are not entitled to bring anything in my car that is illegal. If you have that ****, you toss it before you sit for the ride.

END PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Please text 7576750546 if you are interested. Serious inquiries only.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
The only person who is tied with you is Minh, and it's because he has been to every tournament, beaten everyone (save you, your record against him is impeccable), and because no one else in the region except the players above him can beat him.
Since minh has apparently been adamant about going all link these days, I have to say that i can definitely beat him, dispite him being better than me.
Plus these tournaments you guys are having are basically glorified smash fests... their frequency and size certainly represent them that way. No hate I'm just saying, sai was readily removed when he stopped participating, and we've stopped playing in tournies here at the same time.
I dont really know where youre coming from with this... You act like weve had a tourney every sat for like 2 months or something... It was only 2 weekends and that was only because some people could only show up on one saturday or the other, and we wanted to give everyone a chance to show up and chill for a tourney.

Goggles and I pretty much are the commentators in this region when hype matches happen anyways, because most other people just yell random stuff.

I'm sure we'd do it if asked to at SS3.
this.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Having small tournaments, often, is a very, very, very, very, very, good thing. Don't give a **** about power rankings.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Since minh has apparently been adamant about going all link these days, I have to say that i can definitely beat him, dispite him being better than me.
You should play him again for the sake of accuracy. Careful, he might go Sheik :p

hubble

Smash Ace
So. ****ING. Hype for Apex.

$$$

We should have a smashfest the weekend before all the RIT kids get out.

$$$

We should also have more money matches in this region, we're all getting good enough so they would be hype and good competition.

$1 mm's open to all.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Who do I want to mm?

Cura (Melee/Brawl)
Mana (Melee)
Minh (Melee)
Juni (Melee)
Dr. G (Brawl)
Burak (Melee)
Rob (Melee)
Acton (Brawl)
Snakeee (Brawl)
Neil when hes actually good again. (Brawl)
MDZ (melee)
Tsai (Melee)
ANYBODY (Brawl Plus)
Vibe (Brawl)
Rob and Amber (Melee) [I KNOW I can still take both of you 2v1 on japes.]

Top Bottom