• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Sharky

Smash Master
minty beat neil because neil sd'd a fresh stock, san did something similar, though he would have had to win another game after that so that one's debatable.

Kantō

Smash Champion
good **** guys, really. we are all getting better. now that i see the level that brawl can really be played at, i have some serious practicing to do.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Blew a lead against a falco sounds like you didn't SDI a spike. Ouch.

Yoshi and falco though, those aren't characters we have to practice against a whole lot here either. Sharky's the best yoshi I know in the reigon (one of two, three?) and besides acton I dunno if anyone mains falco as a primary. Though IIRC someone else was playin him at goggles' the other day, just didn't catch who.

But if you all did great, that's awesome stuff.

Unrelated:
Someone's gonna have to help me grind out one day extra besides EGS and smash club friday since I'm without smash this week. (and last week, too...)

I can give people basic falco practice and cura busts him out in tourney from time to time.

and during christmas break, i was at ambers house like 3-4 days that week, I have no problems coming out there and putting in some high level training to get you mad good.

and jason, Dont get mad son, you still beat Takeover, and people on the stream were flipping out over that.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
You got mentioned with "There's so many DKs" here right next to Cable.

You were mentioned in the same sentence as Cable on the stream. 2gud.

altairian

Smash Lord
San got 9th at a 100+ man NJ tournament. I think that speaks for itself, lol.

Next time we won't be ****ing idiots and get more sleep though. None of us got more than 2 hours of sleep (most got 1) before driving out to Jersey, it definitely had an effect on me (although my pool was a straight up "**** you pikachu" pool anyway) so I'm sure the rest of us were feeling it too. I was too tired to even play friendlies after I finished my pool matches =\

I really want to travel OOS again but probably not to VC. Jersey sucks (the state, not the players), and that venue is just plain awful for a turnout that size. If it wasn't for the fact that Upstate NY smashers are so awesome to hang out with, I would've had a terrible time.

Anyone interested in that national in Ohio in June let me know. I'm planning to go and I need people to share a hotel room with.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace

I can give people basic falco practice and cura busts him out in tourney from time to time.

and during christmas break, i was at ambers house like 3-4 days that week, I have no problems coming out there and putting in some high level training to get you mad good.

and jason, Dont get mad son, you still beat Takeover, and people on the stream were flipping out over that.
im not mad, im disappointed with myself. i was winning on second match vs falco ( i won the first one) somehow he got me to last stock when i was leading by 2 stocks... seriously one grab into cg got me over 60% or 0% cg death

the match i fought against takeover was on stream? o_O

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
no, coney was giving us updates from the tourney and he was like

"oh and this just in, Takeover just lost to...

doctor... grandpa...?

who is that?

so apparently Takeover just lost to some random wifi DK named Dr. Grandpa"

shiz was too funny

even funnier cus he went on to lose to neil

Coney

Smash Master
yeah i namesearched what of it!

i knew who dr. grandpa was! my cousin actually played him a lot on wifi (dome or something, i don't really know his name) back in the day. i never played wifi so i didn't know if he was wifi-only or what.

i just thought his name was funny, i imagine a lot of other people would too! maybe it was somebody else on the livestream that sounded like me, because i knew who the dude was...didn't know he was that legit, to be honest, but definitely didn't think he was some "random" or anything, it's not really like me to call people out like that, you know? i'm not the type to assume anyone is good or bad, i just honestly put takeover up because he's my crewmate and he's really talented

that only makes the win that much more impressive, so very nice work on beating him! ny/nj with all these good-*** DKs, hahah

also forgive me coming in here all randomly and getting all defensive; i actually have a pet peeve of people that say other people are bad without ever playing them or hearing about them, i was actually confronted with that **** in the MW last week, so i wanted to make it clear that i'm most DEFINITELY not like that. y'all are most definitely legit!

Foy

Smash Champion
So Melee Rival dream thing I had =

Jesse vs Neil
Mana vs Koj
Goggles vs Foy
Rob vs Bok
Minh vs General
Thats all i got.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Where the melee at? I'll come, assuming I can find transportation.

If you make smart decisions in brawl you should be able to beast in melee, just take some time to learn tech.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Any plans to give top 5 money like the midwest? Just wondering. They seem to get pretty large turnouts in locals. Just wondering if this was considered in the past.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Where the melee at? I'll come, assuming I can find transportation.

If you make smart decisions in brawl you should be able to beast in melee, just take some time to learn tech.
The melee players post sporadically, but when they post... oh boy it's good! mass spam or mass trash talk

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I was thinking about a top 4/6 money placement...

im probably going to do it for the next one, but as for this one, Ill do it the same way I do all my tourney rulings.

Leave it to the people

What do YOU want the payouts to be for YOUR tournament? Its top 3 currently, would you like to pay out to 4th or even to the 2 people that place 5th?

personally i would vote against paying all the way to 5th simply because theres just not enough money to go around. the reason the midwest pays out so far for their tourneys is because their smash scenes (melee and brawl) arent connected. so therefore they run seperate events, which allows them to make their entry fees 10 dollars, instead of the 5 that I use, since my tourneys are mainly for poor college kids.

Ill pay out to 4th or whatever you guys want, its up to the community.

Foy

Smash Champion
Payout for 1/2/3 with random cash going to random kid.

Mario party style. they have to do a duel minigame to get the cash. THerefore its fair.

altairian

Smash Lord
It really depends on the pot size, IMO. I'd say have two payout options, based on turnout.

With $5 entry I'd say 40 people is probably a good line to draw for the over/under payout options.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
No points, no fine for the ticket. Ticket still registers or w/e the ****. But I only have to pay the court fee of $85. Which is still way too much for me to have to pay and it really hurts. But financially I should definitely be making it to the march tournament if I don't spend until then.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Finances are really tight and I have lots of transactions. Being a responsible adult has lots of bills attached to it... shouldn't you know this goggles?

I can't wait for my mommy's permission like some of these children!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Of course I agree with you mana, but why are you asking me specifically?

I cant tell if that was a pot shot at me or not...

And I also love my mother.

Top Bottom