• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate Battle Series- Next Battle: September 15th!

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Damn man. That sucks a lot.

Well, there will be plenty more.

Also, Smashboards wouldn't save the edited title but I think I got it now.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Coming back home today, doubt I'll make it for the tourney though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
not gonna happen homie.

I won doubles with trademark.

jesse won singles beta second pikax2 3rd

these tournaments are the 3rd saturday of every month.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
And then proceed to beat him 8 to 2 in money matches.

Btw, the eight he won, were the first 8... In a row.
Beta is officially good at this game now.

That brings the total of people in this region better than me tooooooo...

:phone:

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Won't be there in time for the next one.

Make the july one huge for me, if you will, so I can get that paypuhhhh

Lol jk watch me get 4th -_-

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
That's exactly it rob.

He's been super technical with fox for a while now. So I'm glad he finally started playing smart on top of that

huMps

Smash Ace
People tell me I'm smart at this game all the time but I'm not beating anyone. But maybe they're telling me that so I keep showing up and they can keep taking my money? hmmmmm . . .

Regardless I'll be at the next Upstate Battle, feeling as charitable as ever.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I have a feeling everyone is just moving faster than you. Like you think about your moves when you do them, which is good, but if some no brain falco is just pillaring your shield faster than you can react, then it really doesn't matter

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
That's exactly it rob.

He's been super technical with fox for a while now. So I'm glad he finally started playing smart on top of that[/size]
I've been waiting so long for it to happen. It always felt like I was pulling the rug out from under him whenever I won (which was usually last stock of game3).

People tell me I'm smart at this game all the time but I'm not beating anyone. But maybe they're telling me that so I keep showing up and they can keep taking my money? hmmmmm . . .

Regardless I'll be at the next Upstate Battle, feeling as charitable as ever.
Marth has to play double-smart and have lots of plans that flow into each other. Trust me, you'd beat countless newbies without losing a stock. I'm not really scared of Marth that much anymore tbh, so idk what to tell you. Be scary?

huMps

Smash Ace
^ lol seriously? Didn't know people had 5 year reunions. 10 years is plenty early enough for me haha.

huMps

Smash Ace
I'll come to this if MK is legal. I've never been to upstate NY for brawl before, and this date is good for me. Let me know. (no one does mk banned anymore btw)

edit - oh wait it seems many people are dropping out? ehh, not sure anymore cuz of that =/
Isn't brawl pretty dead here anyway? Jesse's first tourney only got 8 for brawl right?
Melee should be about 20 people though if Nintendude and friends come. Should fill a 24 man bracket when RIT is in session. So come play melee (:

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
The lack of Brawl players is pretty discouraging. I probably won't be coming to these unless there are at least eight players in the expected turnout.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Translation:
I'm not coming to the tournament... Unless there's gonna be a tournament.

Lol, pretty much. It sucks though because although I essentially don't play the game or practice it anymore, I still wanted to hit up a tourney once every couple months or so, but the lack of a scene here is obviously restricting me from doing so. Maybe I'll just come to play and hang out or something but dat gas money! :glare:

Oh yeah, I forgot to bring this up to you last tournament to you Goggles: I remember a while ago you asked me what sort of other games I played and I responded with a bland 'not much' because I believe I was busy at the time. But one series I did play a lot in my younger years was Sonic the Hedgehog. Since it seems like you're a pretty big Sonic fan (at least I would hope so, why would anybody use him in Brawl otherwise? lol), I wanted to know what your overall favorite Sonic game is. Kind of curious...lol

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Lol, pretty much. It sucks though because although I essentially don't play the game or practice it anymore, I still wanted to hit up a tourney once every couple months or so, but the lack of a scene here is obviously restricting me from doing so.
You should join our CoT6 carpool, we still have room for one more.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Well, the only one I owned in my younger years was sonic 2.
And if there was a system that could tell you, it would have said that had a like 110% completion of that game. I played the hell out of everything got all the emeralds. If I knew there was a market for it I. Would have started speedrunning it.

Knuckles is my fav character in the series, so obv. S+k was big for me.

Contrary to what some might think, I actually didn't play THAT many sonic games, but it was def. My favorite series.

The adventure series were probably the two best sonic games in the history of the character though. It was probably the one time that sonic was universally better than mario.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
You should join our CoT6 carpool, we still have room for one more.
Damn, CoT6, when is that? I always wanted to go to a big tournament like that to see where my skill stands among top players in the Brawl community, but I just don't know if I have the time and money for an event that big. I've always been more of a local guy, but I'll think about it. I probably won't go though.

Well, the only one I owned in my younger years was sonic 2.
And if there was a system that could tell you, it would have said that had a like 110% completion of that game. I played the hell out of everything got all the emeralds. If I knew there was a market for it I. Would have started speedrunning it.

Knuckles is my fav character in the series, so obv. S+k was big for me.

Contrary to what some might think, I actually didn't play THAT many sonic games, but it was def. My favorite series.

The adventure series were probably the two best sonic games in the history of the character though. It was probably the one time that sonic was universally better than mario.

I've played:

Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Adventure 2, and just recently I have attempted to revive my interest in the series by playing through Sonic Generations, as well as Sonic 4: Episode I/II. So yeah, I have played a pretty good amount of them lol.

After all these years, my favorite game still remains to be Sonic 2. Sonic CD is extremely close though, it's really good in my opinion. I also enjoyed Sonic 4: Episode II a lot, but not sure where that stands among my other favs yet.

I have some friends that go bonkers over Sonic & Knuckles, or rather, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles together. I didn't feel the same about them though. I found something unappealing about the stages in those games, and I can't really pinpoint what it is.

I want to love the adventure series, but I tried to play through them again not to long ago, and something about them feels disturbingly dated. It's strange because I can go back to some games on Super Nintendo or Nintendo 64 and won't get that feeling to the same degree. Nonetheless, they are still pretty good but won't go back to them as nearly as often as games like Sonic 2 and Sonic CD.

flaw

Smash Apprentice
Yo I have a question for rob:

Are all those TAS freestyle/speedruns for Mario 4 unable to be done on the original hardware? That is, do they rely on quirks of the (not 100% accurate) emulator/rom-hacks? If this is the case, what emulator/rom combo and version is considered legit by the community?

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Damn, CoT6, when is that? I always wanted to go to a big tournament like that to see where my skill stands among top players in the Brawl community, but I just don't know if I have the time and money for an event that big. I've always been more of a local guy, but I'll think about it. I probably won't go though.
It's this Saturday, so you will have to decide fast http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318067

Price wise, the tournament has 10 dollar entry and venue (though bringing a set-up will get you a five dollar discount). So it's slightly more expensive than your typical local.

Gas wise, the carpool is looking to charge 12 to 16, no more than 20 dollars.

Time wise, it's a single day event, so all you will need is a free Saturday.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Ah, thanks for the info. In that case, I definitely can't make it. I have work all day this Saturday. Thanks for the invite though and good luck man. You will be our key representative for upstate New York it seems.

Top Bottom