• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Why did people say that Ribbon Girl is good echo fighter of Springman ? Each one of them plays differently ! Hell, Springtron is the real echo of Springman in ARMS !
THANK YOU! Why did people keep saying that. It was such a stupid idea. They don't play ANYTHING like each other in their own home game, why would they be echoes in Smash?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't think the number of characters a series gets should be tied to how many games the series sells and it rubs me the wrong way when people use sales figures when arguing for or against a character.

D

Deleted member

This is what I said in another thread. I think a lot of people are looking at Piranha Plant's inclusion with the wrong perspective. There's a reason it's not included in the base game, and that it's not part of the DLC packs. Use your noggin, people.
Piranha Plant is genius. Sakurai needed to come up with a bonus character relatively quickly to provide an incentive to purchase the game in the first two months, but wouldn't have wanted to use a character that people felt should have just been in the base game, nor one that was prestigious enough that people would have paid money for in a DLC pack (bundled with stage and music)--it's perfect, honestly.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I don't understand how people complain that Pokemon has too many characters in the roster. The characters as individuals are a separate matter, but it is the most successful media franchise of all time, and probably has more than a thousand characters.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand how people complain that Pokemon has too many characters in the roster. The characters as individuals are a separate matter, but it is the most successful media franchise of all time, and probably has more than a thousand characters.
They are just plain salty that they didn't get their character in Smash. I'll just leave my post from another the thread:
Yeah, there were even users in your threads where they were saying that it's okay for Mario and Pokemon to have another rep because they are big boy franchises. It was only after PP and Incina where users were saying that they didn't need another rep. If it was Geno and Decidueye than this stigma wouldn't exist. Just shows you how hypocritical smash fans are.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Salt about their most wanted characters not being in, plus believing that Pokémon deserved to die back in 1999.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I guess I have an unpopular opinion: In a game like Smash, a character who wields an axe would not play all that differently from a character who wields a sword.

If this were a swordfighting game like Soul Caliber or something (idk anything about that series so bear with me), I think it would matter. But Smash is so incredibly diverse, you have everything from penguins swinging hammers to monkeys shooting peanuts out of guns to plants with giant teeth to dragons who breathe fire to aquatic ninja frogs, and I just don't think "human with axe" sounds all that fresh compared to that stuff, even if we've technically never had an axe user.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pokemon literally has 10 characters. Some want to see more variety than the latest Pokemon every game. Nothing wrong with that. Being a juggernaut franchise doesn't mean they want to always have it get a new character each game. Remember that there's only so much that can be added per game. Not that they stole any slots or anything, but it's understandable to want to see some lesser done franchises get a playable character instead of a heavily represented franchise. It got to the point where people were speculating that Pokemon might not get a new character since it's already super huge(even Mario has less still, and it's the biggest Nintendo franchise. It also has more Clones/Echoes than Pokemon does, which means that Pokemon has more unique characters too).

Anyway, I'm not mad about Piranha Plant. I absolutely was more interesting in others, sure. Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario(I already got Dr. Mario back, so...).

Though I'd like to note that Waluigi can't be an Echo since nobody shares his body type. The only character somewhat lanky is actually Bayonetta, and that's not feasible. He needs an all new animations and such. A key thing to also remember is that we don't know what Sakurai is looking for when choosing Mario characters. Daisy is a lucky addition because of her Echo status. Her being barely a "main series" character means little as is. If she didn't have the right body type, she wouldn't have gotten in. Though now that Nintendo are choosing all the possible DLC options(whether or not there's a list of only 5 is impossible to say), Waluigi could be back on the table. Or maybe they don't want him in major stuff and just in spin-offs. Who knows. Maybe they want Toad. Or Geno. Etc.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
THANK YOU! Why did people keep saying that. It was such a stupid idea. They don't play ANYTHING like each other in their own home game, why would they be echoes in Smash?
Because other Echoes that shouldn’t play like their base character are in the game and do just that? Dark Samus, Dark Pit, Daisy, and so on all have perfectly valid reasons to be different from their base character, but they’re not. And Ken is an Echo despite being pretty damn different from Ryu.

If Springman has gotten in, the only chance Ribbon Girl would have had to be playable would be as an Echo or an alt-costume anyway.

Echoes just work and add an extra character to play as in the game. People shouldn’t be surprised when characters that are different still get similar move sets through the Echo system. It’s a “take the Echo” or nothing reality.

She’d just fit as one, so why not when the alternative is just a ****ty Mii costume?

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
"Unpopular" Opinion:

Paper Mario deserves to be in smash because there is a possible taunt talk that involves goombas (Goombario and Gombella) spewing out all text, no voice actors needed. The benefit of Paper Mario having secret taunts with all text is that they can add unique content for additional DLC fighters compared to Pit or even Snake with scarcity of quality voice actors.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I find it ironic how back in Melee, people who were intially like "Who the heck are Marth and Roy?" warmed up to them, which was the main reason why Fire Emblem eventually ended up releasing outside of Japan. Now people are complaining about how there's an over-representation of these characters even though if it weren't for Fire Emblem Awakening's success, we wouldn't have gotten more of them in the first place.
Contrast a series who's own success and longevity has been popularized by Super Smash Bros with a series that has stuck around ever since Nintendo started making video games: Super Mario Bros. Even with a variety of franchises represented in Smash, Super Mario still has a massive presence in it with its roster of characters, stages, and music, yet no one really bats an eye to it. Is it because it's Nintendo's most popular franchise of all time, and would it be a huge issue if it wasn't the most represented franchise in Smash?
Personally, I would LOVE if the Mario franchise gets taken over by another series in terms of representation, and that, of course, includes Fire Emblem (heck, maybe Castlevania, Pokemon, and Zelda have a shot at it at this point).

:ultmario::ultdoc::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultbowserjr:(x8 Koopalings):ultwario::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultyoshi::ultpiranha: - 18 Mario characters (11 if you exclude the Koopaling alternate costumes)
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin: - 7 Fire Emblem characters (9 if you count the female counterparts of Robin and Corrin)

TL;DR- Instead of saying "Ultimate is a 7/10 cause too many Fire Emblem characters," I would say "Ultimate is a 7/10 cause too many Mario characters."

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Owwwwww im sorry Lucina then. Shes so useless to me as a character that i forgot her name already.

And about Waluigi and Piranha Plant. To be honest, i dont MIND Waluigi in the Smash roster. He could be an echo and throw black fireballs. There is a Waluigi cap, there is Waluigi costumers for Mario and Luigi, why is it so hard to just make an echo fighter or a Waluigi model for Luigi himself? Like Fire Mario for Mario?

What im kind of mad about is how Sakurai (its him right?) seems to totally ignore the feedback of Waluigi. To me it looks like hes laughing at the fans by throwing in a Mario character absolutely noone asked about. Its just weird. Especially when SAKURAI, my MAN, didnt want Wario to end up like a clone to Mario and designed him for Brawl instead. Its strange that the person who wanted Wario to the roster is hating Waluigi this much. He listened to the audience alot before.

This is why im baffled. It gives me a sense of negativity when Sakurai throws out a Piranha Plant instead when a huge part of the fans asked for Waluigi. It seems like trolling at this point. Like Diablo Immortal-level of trolling.

Its like if most people asked Nintendo to make Entei playable and they just threw out an Unown instead. This is the wibe i am getting.

I myself am patiently hoping for Toad, Electrode (i had a dream about him being playable once so:D) old Heihachi and Akuma to be playable. But i dont know. Maybe Sakurais team will throw out a Goomba instead of a beloved Toad.

Please for the love of God, dont add Sakura over Akuma:(
I think the problem is you don't think about it like Sakurai. Sakurai didn't go "Nah, let's put PP instead of Waluigi". The decisions to put PP in and to make Waluigi were seperate decisions. You can also read his reaons for putting in PP here

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think the problem is you don't think about it like Sakurai. Sakurai didn't go "Nah, let's put PP instead of Waluigi". The decisions to put PP in and to make Waluigi were seperate decisions. You can also read his reaons for putting in PP here
Finally, someone else understands. I keep seeing Geno/Toad/Waluigi fans rant on PP even though PP had nothing to do with their misinclusion.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I don't know where else to post it.

I think the Koopalings should be seperate from Bowser Junior. Not that they should get seven seperate slots or anything, Larry would be the default with the other six Koopalings as alts, and Bowser Junior stays in his own slot with new alt colors inspired by the Koopalings instead of just being the Koopalings.

The reason being that Bowser Junior rarely fights on foot, and the Koopalings rarely operate Mechs ( in fact, outside of Yoshi's Safari, they've NEVER used Mechs ), the Koopalings should just be semi-clones of Bowser that are middle weights that use their wands instead of fire streams. Maybe they have a shell sliding move too.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
It seems like a fair explanation of Piranha Plant. Id rather want him to add unexpected enemies from games than adding more and more and more and more sword/rpgfighters to the roster.

Aslong as the fighters are not anime characters with a sword or a wand. Would be fun to see Shy Guy playable.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I guess I have an unpopular opinion: In a game like Smash, a character who wields an axe would not play all that differently from a character who wields a sword.
What the heck, I literally came to this thread for the first time to make this exact point. But yeah, I agree. Whenever I see people advocating for an axe wielding Fire Emblem character like Hector or Edelgard, I always can't help but to think of that. An axe would in terms of gameplay be nothing more than a more limited sword, since it'd have less reach, and can't exactly do stabbing attacks. The only bit of variety it'd bring is the potential of an axe throw special, and Simon/Richter already have that by now.
So, uh, to get an actual unpopular opinion out there. . . Fire Emblem is by now represented pretty well in terms of weapon variety. With Corrin and Robin, we have dragonstone users and magic covered, meaning that the only weapon types that could still be added - and could offer something new and interesting - would be lances and bows. And the best options for those two weapon types are, as of right now, Azura and Anna, respectively. Azura would be better than, say, Ephraim, because she also has water powers, and Anna would properly represent the Fire Emblem series as a whole, since she is in almost every game.

And if it weren't for the "Everyone is here" aspect of Ultimate Roy (and by extension Chrom) should not have been here at all

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
And if it weren't for the "Everyone is here" aspect of Ultimate Roy (and by extension Chrom) should not have been here at all
Betting money that he won't be in the next game. I totally agree with everything you said. An axe wielder wouldn't work that differently than a sword wielder.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
There are no super heavy sword users in the game. The importance of aesthetics shouldn't be ignored, either. There's not that much difference between fire damage and electric damage, but it would be boring if only one type were in smash.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't think the number of characters a series gets should be tied to how many games the series sells and it rubs me the wrong way when people use sales figures when arguing for or against a character.
Yes! I hate it when people say "You can't overrepresent Mario/Pokemon." Yes, you can. Especially when you begin hitting the bottom of the barrel or support bad characters. I'd much rather see other series such as Kirby, DK, Earthbound, etc. get extra representation than yet another Mario or Pokemon fighter.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
Why do some many want Lucas and Roy cut? I thought they were like, petitioned for for Smash 4? That's why they got back in? I remember it being pretty hype and I love both of those characters more than the original fighter they're semi-cloned from so it's sad to see everyone having them first on the chopping block, especially considering no one has Falco there.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Why do some many want Lucas and Roy cut? I thought they were like, petitioned for for Smash 4? That's why they got back in? I remember it being pretty hype and I love both of those characters more than the original fighter they're semi-cloned from so it's sad to see everyone having them first on the chopping block, especially considering no one has Falco there.
I can only assume this is due to people being against region exclusives or clones as a whole being forwned upon. I'm not massively keen on it either, but trust me I'd put Falco on that chopping block before Roy.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I can't speak for anyone else, but as a Fire Emblem fan, I'd want Roy gone because he is massively overrated, came from one of the worst Fire Emblem games, and is an extremely shallow and boring character. The GBA era of Fire Emblem just has five promising protagonists that would be interesting, and I'd take any of them - even Eliwood - over Roy.
With Lucas and Falco, I don't really have a problem. It helps that both of their series don't have that many characters to begin with.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I can't speak for anyone else, but as a Fire Emblem fan, I'd want Roy gone because he is massively overrated, came from one of the worst Fire Emblem games, and is an extremely shallow and boring character. The GBA era of Fire Emblem just has five promising protagonists that would be interesting, and I'd take any of them - even Eliwood - over Roy.
He's a clone that can be built off a pre-existing character, is the second most popular male character in FE, and through a combination of basic logic and developer comments I'd bet money on Binding Blade being the next remake.

I'd expect him to survive a reboot, even (they'd probably want as many clones and semi-clones in as they could).

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
They're Japanese exclusive characters, which isn't a hot thing for, you know...anyone who doesn't live in Japan.

I personally don't understand the stigma against Falco.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
People who go “Ugh Smash fans are sooo ungrateful and entitled” “Man I sure feel bad for Sakurai dealing with a disrespectful fanbase” “I hope those leakers and dataminers go die” are basically just fishing for likes at here, Twitter, Youtube and anywhere else.

At this point, the constant worshipping and high pedestal for Sakurai is getting downright obnoxious.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I would like to restate an earlier post I made:

I have no problem with combos and stun in competitive or even just plain ol' PvP games. It may not be my personal cup of tea, but if you feel that competitive games wouldn't be the same without them, fine.

What I do have a problem with, however, is when computers are allowed to stun/combo players for no other reason then "well, the players can do it, and we don't really know how to make this fight's mechanics interesting, so..." especially on easier difficulties or games that don't allow you to adjust the difficulty.

I shouldn't have to worry about being stunlocked in Melee Event Matches. I shouldn't have to put up with the Ana CPUs constantly putting me to sleep in Overwatch, I shouldn't have deal with a Hyrule Warriors character wailing on me for fifteen ****ing minutes and ruining my A rank just because I failed to dodge ONE attack.

If you want to punish a player for playing badly? Do it the way games are supposed to punish players; by dealing damage to them. One attack, 10-33% of the player's health, they get knocked down with invincibility frames to give them a split second to realize "wait, i messed up" and you wait for them to get back up before doing it again.

"Git Gud" is not an acceptable excuse for any of this. You can go **** off if you're going to shame people for having a complaint with game design.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The number of potential fighters, missing mascots, missing gens, and Capcom being worse about overrepresenting X-Men and Street Fighter in MvC2 and SF in CvS2 are all better arguments for having more Pokemon than its mass popularity.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
People who go “Ugh Smash fans are sooo ungrateful and entitled” “Man I sure feel bad for Sakurai dealing with a disrespectful fanbase” “I hope those leakers and dataminers go die” are basically just fishing for likes at here, Twitter, Youtube and anywhere else.

At this point, the constant worshipping and high pedestal for Sakurai is getting downright obnoxious.
I think the main point those people want to make is to find a healthy middle ground between constructive criticism and blind praise. Yes it's important for Sakurai and the team to acknowledge the requests of fans when it comes to gameplay, user friendliness, functionality, and even some newcomers. But if every response to every newcomer reveal or new piece of info is "this isn't the character I want in Smash go die" that sucks. Sakurai, who historically works obscenely hard on his games, deserves to hear about the things we're thankful for just as much as the things we want to happen.

Although I don't see the defense of datamining and spreading illegal copies of the game especially before it's release. That does just suck and no game developer deserves that.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Although I don't see the defense of datamining and spreading illegal copies of the game especially before it's release. That does just suck and no game developer deserves that.
Ok, I definitely worded that wrong.
Downloading illegal ROMS is very wrong but it was more directed towards the people who death threat the leakers and generalize the whole fanbase.

Two wrongs don’t make a right but I agree with what you said.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
He's a clone that can be built off a pre-existing character, is the second most popular male character in FE, and through a combination of basic logic and developer comments I'd bet money on Binding Blade being the next remake.

I'd expect him to survive a reboot, even (they'd probably want as many clones and semi-clones in as they could).
He scored second after Ike in Choose Your Legends round 1. That doesn't entail that he is the second most popular male character in FE.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
He scored second after Ike in Choose Your Legends round 1. That doesn't entail that he is the second most popular male character in FE.
It's a good way to tell he is pretty popular though.

I can only assume this is due to people being against region exclusives or clones as a whole being forwned upon. I'm not massively keen on it either, but trust me I'd put Falco on that chopping block before Roy.
They're Japanese exclusive characters, which isn't a hot thing for, you know...anyone who doesn't live in Japan.

I personally don't understand the stigma against Falco.
I suppose it is a region exclusivity thing, which wouldn't be an issue if Nintendo wasn't ******** up until the 2000's and actually started releasing most of their games everywhere.

As for the Falco hate; He's the least interesting Starfox character, in play and in personality. We already have tons of wise-cracking aces in other games, and his moveset is less different and different in less interesting ways compared to Fox. Wolf is great as a foil and villain to Fox, his blaster is just a better version of Falco's, his Side B is actually different, has normals different in more than just animation, etc. If we don't get a new Starfox rep next game and instead get a chop, it SHOULD be Falco this time.

Of course, that's just my opinion, if you like Falco more than Wolf, I getcha-- he was there first, he DOES have personality, and I like his animations.

With Lucas and Falco, I don't really have a problem. It helps that both of their series don't have that many characters to begin with.
Nice to understand actually. I'd be down with chopping Roy for Lyn/Hector/Eliwood or even a non-lord for a GBA FE rep I spose.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Unpopular opinion: As someone who rarely touches Pokemon outside of spin-off titles and doesn't know any Pokemon outside of the first 2 gens :ultincineroar: looks much more fun (as well as having a cool design and personality) and interesting to play as than :ultlucario: and :ultgreninja: ever did in Brawl and Smash 4.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
This isn't really unpopular, but I really don't want another FE character & I personally think the series is over-represented, but... (this is the unpopular part)

If they do add another FE character, I hope it's Fjorm. She'd be great for advertising the mobile aspect of Nintendo since she's been the face of FEH for about a year now, and while she's not the best character in existence, I think she'd be a pretty unique fighter (more so than Ephraim, IMO).

I don't want Sora in Smash. I have nothing against his fans, but I'm really not a fan of KH. I've always found the story to be a convoluted mess, and the game-play has always just been... OK. Sora isn't a bad character, but he doesn't stand out to me either. He could have an interesting move-set, but I don't see it being possible without all the Disney stuff. He has his own stuff as well, but I don't feel like any of it makes him really standout. Also, in regards to Disney, don't the technically own Sora?

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I don’t think Sora belongs in Smash. With Kingdom Hearts being a Disney and FF crossover, I feel that Cloud represents it well enough.

Additionally, and this is probably even less popular...I’d rather have Mickey Mouse than Sora. If Nintendo is getting a character that Disney owns, they should go all in.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I don’t think Sora belongs in Smash. With Kingdom Hearts being a Disney and FF crossover, I feel that Cloud represents it well enough.

Additionally, and this is probably even less popular...I’d rather have Mickey Mouse than Sora. If Nintendo is getting a character that Disney owns, they should go all in.
Wait, so I was right, and Disney does own Sora? My friend told me he was a Square character, but I thought I was correct in the assumption that he was owned by Disney.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
It's by far the biggest series popularity poll in terms of sample size; I'd say it's a pretty decent measure of character popularity (CYL2 was a far smaller affair decided mostly by the FEH fanbase). So basically, yes it does.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Wait, so I was right, and Disney does own Sora? My friend told me he was a Square character, but I thought I was correct in the assumption that he was owned by Disney.
Yep, they do. In fact, the whole Kingdom Hearts IP is technically owned by Disney; Square Enix just develops and publishes the games.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's by far the biggest series popularity poll in terms of sample size; I'd say it's a pretty decent measure of character popularity (CYL2 was a far smaller affair decided mostly by the FEH fanbase). So basically, yes it does.
I suppose one could argue that without Super Smash Bros. Roy may not have been as popular as he is here, but to counter that argument it didn't raise Marth, Robin or Corrin that high either.

Not sure if unpopular or not but I'm disappointed DK and Wario didn't get more assist trophies, particularly as I want to see a 3D 9-Volt using retro peripherals that don't fit a character like the Power Glove, Virtual Boy, Game Boy Printer or E-Card Reader already and would love for Lanky Kong to have joined us on the battle field briefly doing handstands and inflating himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom