• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I haven't supported or even expected half the characters that appeared in Smash before they showed up. That doesn't mean they weren't fun when they did.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Ah, so you mean outside of Smash demand.

Look no further than the merchandising. There are tons of pieces of Nintendo merchandise featuring not only Piranha Plant, but all sorts of iconic Mario enemies. They wouldn't produce it if there wasn't a market for it. Piranha Plants are part of the franchise's iconography.

It's not exactly rocket science.
I asked for fans, not merchandise. I've never seen anyone ever talk about how much they love Piranha Plants or how they dreamed of one day seeing them in Smash. I've seen that for plenty of actual characters though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I asked for fans, not merchandise. I've never seen anyone ever talk about how much they love Piranha Plants or how they dreamed of one day seeing them in Smash. I've seen that for plenty of actual characters though.
You keep going back and forth on whether you're talking about Smash or not. I've literally said from the start that no one really asked for the Piranha Plant. That's the point of a surprise character.

That and it's common sense that they wouldn't put the Plant on shirts if there wasn't a market for it.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
You keep going back and forth on whether you're talking about Smash or not. I've literally said from the start that no one really asked for the Piranha Plant. That's the point of a surprise character.

That and it's common sense that they wouldn't put the Plant on shirts if there wasn't a market for it.
You say that like these people are buying these shirts because the plant is on them instead of it being just because it's a Mario shirt. You can find merchandise for pretty much all the Mario enemies but that's only because Mario is kind of an absolutely gigantic juggernaut of a franchise.

I stand buy what I said. No amount of acting like plant was what made the Mario games what they are is going to change that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You say that like these people are buying these shirts because the plant is on them instead of it being just because it's a Mario shirt. You can find merchandise for pretty much all the Mario enemies but that's only because Mario is kind of an absolutely gigantic juggernaut of a franchise.

I stand buy what I said. No amount of acting like plant was what made the Mario games what they are is going to change that.
And likewise, people can easily like things without gushing about them online. You're making it seem as though everyone who never so much as talked about Piranha Plants hated them or something, which doesn't make any sense.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, they like the plant and thinks it's cool. It's not rocket science either. Being a Mario character is no less part of why it's iconic. Both are a thing.

There's no "either or" with characters. They are liked for more than one reason. The black and white mentality is not applicable to fanbases. Everybody is different and generalizing doesn't really paint the whole picture.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
If anything I hope we get a few more generic Mario enemies as playable characters someday, especially Shy Guy. I don't know about enemies from other series (except maybe Slime from Dragon Quest) but Mario's roster of enemies are extremely iconic and beloved, so they're a natural fit on notoriety alone.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If anything I hope we get a few more generic Mario enemies as playable characters someday, especially Shy Guy. I don't know about enemies from other series (except maybe Slime from Dragon Quest) but Mario's roster of enemies are extremely iconic and beloved, so they're a natural fit on notoriety alone.
The thing is they can't just churn out characters infinitely. Every single random mook you add directly subtracts from the resources for other, honestly probably better, characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing is they can't just churn out characters infinitely. Every single random mook you add directly subtracts from the resources for other, honestly probably better, characters.
Which does make it understandable why some feel another character "took their slot". It's only right in a technical sense, but it's not like the character was instantly going to be chosen either. A lot of characters are put on a very high pedestal at times. And when they don't become playable, it's common to take it too far or make excuses by blaming other characters for being in when it's not that simple. Recognizing your character was in a bad position is a better way to go about it. It allows fanbases to rally and do things like petitions that help.

I recently read that people created a huge book fully of essays and art to give to Sakurai about Ridley. While the ballot was cited as the main reason for his inclusion, this could've helped too. Contrary to popular belief, companies do listen to fans sometimes. It's worth the effort because even if the character isn't in, showing your love for your character is something really cool and worth praising for. It's a great healthy thing to see. :)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Which does make it understandable why some feel another character "took their slot". It's only right in a technical sense, but it's not like the character was instantly going to be chosen either. A lot of characters are put on a very high pedestal at times. And when they don't become playable, it's common to take it too far or make excuses by blaming other characters for being in when it's not that simple. Recognizing your character was in a bad position is a better way to go about it. It allows fanbases to rally and do things like petitions that help.

I recently read that people created a huge book fully of essays and art to give to Sakurai about Ridley. While the ballot was cited as the main reason for his inclusion, this could've helped too. Contrary to popular belief, companies do listen to fans sometimes. It's worth the effort because even if the character isn't in, showing your love for your character is something really cool and worth praising for. It's a great healthy thing to see. :)
Yeah and I'm not making the "stolen slot" argument, in fact I'm pretty sure I wrote a post on why that's not a thing a while back; I'm saying that even bereft of other possible inclusions, resources can be used in a way that people don't like and they're fine to dislike it and at the same time wish for something else without tying them together.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah and I'm not making the "stolen slot" argument, in fact I'm pretty sure I wrote a post on why that's not a thing a while back; I'm saying that even bereft of other possible inclusions, resources can be used in a way that people don't like and they're fine to dislike it and at the same time wish for something else without tying them together.
Oh, wasn't saying you were. Just pointing out why it comes up.

It's a book thing here; we're on the same page.

...Incidentally we're also on the same page in a thread. *shrug*

UserKev

Smash Champion
Hindsight bias is like a plague in this fanbase. There are people who actually believe, and will try to convince you, that there were people out there who actually cared about Plant before it joined Smash Bros.
Dude, I love your posts, I relate to you most of the time, but this was arguably the case comes Smash 64. Probably most people didn't know who Captain Falcon was, but his moveset suddenly changed everything.

Smash is such a magical series, it brings what you least expect or wouldn't realize.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Dude, I love your posts, I relate to you most of the time, but this was arguably the case comes Smash 64. Probably most people didn't know who Captain Falcon was, but his moveset suddenly changed everything.
Captain Falcon broke out for being over-the-top fun and ridiculous in the way he carries himself. Being an unexpected Smash character doesn't create legends. If it did people would still be meming about Wii Fit Trainer and ROB. The only time those characters even come up these days is in posts defending Plant.

I also don't think Falcon or Ness are outlandish at all when you consider what Nintendo had to work with at the time.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Captain Falcon broke out for being over-the-top fun and ridiculous in the way he carries himself. Being an unexpected Smash character doesn't create legends. If it did people would still be meming about Wii Fit Trainer and ROB. The only time those characters even come up these days is in posts defending Plant.

I also don't think Falcon or Ness are outlandish at all when you consider what Nintendo had to work with at the time.
Your a plant hater and butt hurt :laugh:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Oh a lighter note...

I actually really like Plant's inclusion as a fighter.
Not only is it fun as heck to mess with, but it feels to me that the characters symbolizes the regular mooks you encounter against in video games with whatever new tricks they always pull out and surprise you.

In short, Plant celebrates the standard minions.

Last edited:

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Unpopular opinion but I think custom moves should have came to Smash Ultimate it would allow you to tune the character to suit your play style

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Hoooo boy! I just came back from a lengthy trip to Cally, it's 2 am here in MA but who cares (jet lag time)! Let's see how this thread is doin---oh....oh dear lord.

Uh.

Anyway, here's something I've been pondering on:

I think Dedede's gordos should be un-reflectable. There. I said it. As someone who mains Dedede as well as plays against a lot of Dededes online, I feel like the fact that it can be reflected is detrimental to his playstyle. Consider this: Dedede has:
  • 5 jumps (4 midair)
  • Slow airspeed
  • Large, disjointed hitboxes and grabboxes (inhale)
  • A long range, non-linear projectile
  • Sourspots at close range and sweetspots at long range (hilt vs head of hammer)
  • Poor frame data overall
It seems to me like Dedede is meant to be the heavyweight zoner. King K. Rool has his projectiles but they're both slow, linear, and offer little to no control over the stage. Gordo is clearly meant to help Dedede gain stage control in the same way Link and the Belmonts do, which should normaly make up for his slow airspeed and laggy frame data. I don't want to come off as biased as a Dedede main--it's not like making them un-reflectable will do much harm. People are already starting to call him a low tier again. And with things like Wolf's blaster, R.O.B.'s gyro, and Peach's turnip/Mr. Saturn/a freaking Bob-omb, it's not like Dedede will suddenly rise to the high/top tier position from one projectile buff. Most likely Gordos will end up getting snuffed out like a lot of projectiles do anyway.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Although online isn't perfect, whatever algorithm they're using for matchmaking is seriously top-notch (it reminds me of Marvel vs. Capcom 3's playstyle centric one but better). Initially it took time (perhaps because of my old rule settings?), but it's crazy how often I get paired up with people around my skill level (usually with similar rulesets, too). Today I ran into three different Corrin users (I've been exclusively using her online lately), and despite the fact that all of our GSP was radically different from one another, we all fought similarly. Surprisingly, I didn't lose any of them, but every single one was super close. The players I run into gradually get better, but I also improve as a result.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I haven't ran into any ragequitters in months. I don't know if the community is more wholesome or if it's the matchmaking or what, but online generally seems way less toxic/more honorable than Smash 4. Sure, some of the online decisions are questionable, but overall, this is easily the best online Smash experience and I can't praise the matchmaking enough.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I really want to see what a "fully complete" smash game would look like. It seems like in every interview post release of a new smash game Sakurai laments cutting a feature, mode or character due to time restraints. I know for a big project like Smash there has to be limits on what they can do in order to reach a deadline but I'd gladly take a couple of delays if it means getting extra content.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Plant's good - yeah, it's not the number one most iconic Mario enemy, but there are hardly many others ahead of it and it's arguably top five.
Goomba's number one, but could be difficult to realise given how basic their abilities are
Koopa's number two, but we already have almost ten playable koopas, so I dunno how much a generic variant would add to Smash
And Piranha Plant's arguably three - been there since SMB1, and one of the earlier enemy encounters
Also arguably more recognisable to a casual fan than most the rest of the roster

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As a fan of indie titles, Madeline from Celeste and Cadence from Crypt of the Necrodancer shouldn't be playable. I loved Celeste and am enjoying Necrodancer despite not being very good at it so far but I feel these characters wouldn't work at all. Madeline due to her backstory, game's themes and disturbing easter egg and Cadence because while cool, a rhythm based moveset does NOT work for a game like Smash

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Although online isn't perfect, whatever algorithm they're using for matchmaking is seriously top-notch (it reminds me of Marvel vs. Capcom 3's playstyle centric one but better). Initially it took time (perhaps because of my old rule settings?), but it's crazy how often I get paired up with people around my skill level (usually with similar rulesets, too). Today I ran into three different Corrin users (I've been exclusively using her online lately), and despite the fact that all of our GSP was radically different from one another, we all fought similarly. Surprisingly, I didn't lose any of them, but every single one was super close. The players I run into gradually get better, but I also improve as a result.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I haven't ran into any ragequitters in months. I don't know if the community is more wholesome or if it's the matchmaking or what, but online generally seems way less toxic/more honorable than Smash 4. Sure, some of the online decisions are questionable, but overall, this is easily the best online Smash experience and I can't praise the matchmaking enough.
Never really understood why having your opponent disconnect on you not giving GSP is treated as a hugely exploitable flaw for spite when you can only do so at most twice before starting to get banned for increasing periods of time every time. One way or another the game makes sure they won't stick around for long.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think not having a gimmick is enough to make a moveset interesting.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I really want to see what a "fully complete" smash game would look like. It seems like in every interview post release of a new smash game Sakurai laments cutting a feature, mode or character due to time restraints. I know for a big project like Smash there has to be limits on what they can do in order to reach a deadline but I'd gladly take a couple of delays if it means getting extra content.
I think it's more to do with investors, unfortunately. Apparently stockholders threw a tantrum when they found out Animal Crossing was delayed.

Baby wants his money now.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'd be down. Hypothetically if a Smash game were to include s many characters as possible I don't see a reason why generic enemies from Mario, Zelda, Kirby, DK, etc. shouldn't be in.

D

Deleted member

I would love to have the Baby Metroid from Super Metroid playable, ngl.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Haven't all Smash games so far included as many characters are possible when they came out?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Waluigi's role as the posterboy of ATs is severely underappreciated and should never be taken away from him.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
That's not really feasible, is the thing.
Do you know what the word hypothetical means?

I'm not saying it's possible at all, don't put words in my mouth. I'm saying that hypothetically if it was possible I'd be totally open for it.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I hope alot of people get what they want in the rest of the fighter pass. I'd hate to be one of those people who got NONE of their most wanted in Ultimate.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Here's one that came to mind: Captain Falcon's voice clips shouldn't be upgraded or re-recorded. The current ones are just too iconic in their exact delivery.

I hope alot of people get what they want in the rest of the fighter pass. I'd hate to be one of those people who got NONE of their most wanted in Ultimate.
Cheers, I'll drink to that.

Three fighters in, and none of them has convinced me to buy the Pass, or any of them individually. . .

D

Deleted member

Waluigi appears in these games?
Unfortunately he still hasnt appeared in a Wario Land game. Fortunately he hasnt appeared in a "Wario"ware game.

Warioware was a ****ing mistake

Last edited by a moderator:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Kirby and Little Mac are a heck of a lot better than most people consider them to be (although the latter is pretty stage dependent).

I don't like it when pros make tier lists and say stuff like "I don't use {insert character here} at all, but here's why they probably suck". Just say you're unfamiliar or don't know. Even if it has a ton of "I don't know" tiers, I'd take it more seriously.

Captain Falcon mains needs to stop fishing for The Knee to end someone's stock. Style points will almost always cost you the match.

I think it's impolite to retaliate when Jigglypuff fails to land Rest or Sing, so I never do. It's a weird combination of respect and sympathy. Like the aforementioned Falcon mains, it has cost me stocks.

I have nothing against his fans and I wish you the best of luck; the more characters we have, the better, IMO. I truly believe that any character who ends up being playable in Smash deserves it, and I'm glad that it ends up making some people happy, regardless of haters. Smash has a habit of making characters I normally wouldn't care about interesting. With that being said, that doesn't change the fact that Geno is hilariously overrated and wiggity wack. I know the reasons why people want him, but I will never understand his hype, no matter how much I try to. I'd even prefer other original characters in that game (e.g. Smithy) and I'm a little surprised that they don't get as much attention.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know the reasons why people want him, but I will never understand his hype, no matter how much I try to.
Nostalgia man. Put the right amount of quality at the right amount of time in a person's life and it sticks with them forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom