• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was referring to Alex from Minecraft, yes. And I will admit it's better than I gave it credit for. At least, it's better than "Zombie Spawns In!"

I have thought of some other taglines for characters I've had ideas for... some of them better than others!

Toad is Ready to Party!!
Captain Toad is Ready for Adventure!!
King Boo Joins the Fright!!
Pauline Puts On A Show!!
Dixie Kong Goes Bananas!!
Cranky Kong Comes Out Of Retirement!!
Captain Syrup Sets Sail!!
Mona Delivers the Goods!!
Paper Mario Refuses to Fold!!
Ganon Rises!!
Dark Matter Casts a Shadow!!
Bandana Dee Spearheads the Charge!!
Adeleine & Ribbon Bring the Pain-t!!
Magolor Takes The Crown!!
Susie Gets With The Program!!
Meowth Prepares For Trouble!!
Buzzwole Joins The Swarm!!
Pheromosa Bugs The Competition!!
Slippy Is On Guard!!
Peppy Is On A Roll!!
Tiki Awakens!!
Elma Claims Her Place!!
Medusa Extinguishes Hope!!
Alph Comes In For A Landing!!
Tom Nook Comes to Collect!!
Glass Joe Knocks ‘em Out?!
Octoling Claims Her Turf!!
Takamaru Makes the Cut!!
Chibi-Robo Cleans House!!
Rhythm Girl Brings the Beatdown!!
Savvy Stylist Dresses for Success!!
Spring Man Bounces Back!!
Ribbon Girl is ARMed and Dangerous!!
Ayumi Tachibana is On the Case!!
Lip is in Full Bloom!!
Tempo Keeps the Beat!!
Sablé Prince Rings the Bells!!
Isaac Makes His Move!!
Excitebiker Takes A Victory Lap!!
Nintendo DS Is Ready To Duel!!
Nintendo 3DS Leaps Out!!
Tails Goes the Extra Mile!!
Knuckles Breaks ‘em Down!!
Shadow Controls the Chaos!!
Dr. Eggman Gets Cracking!!
Amy Rose Drops the Hammer!!
Chun-Li Kicks It Up A Notch!!
Bomberman Has a Blast!!
Klonoa Dreams of Battle!!
Arle Nadja Gets the Hard Drop!!
Black Mage Casts a Spell!!
Cuphead Rolls the Dice!!
Mugman Brews For a Brawl!!
Cooking Mama Stirs Up Trouble!!
Crash Bandicoot Spins to Win!!
Rayman Lends a Hand!!
Bubsy is No Claws for Alarm!!
Captain N Masters The Battle?!?
Nester Is Playing With Power!!
Sandbag Batters Up…?
Yeah, I get ya. It's still accurate to the idea, but boring. Enderman and Steve got good ones in comparison.

I did a few;

Dark Pit finally gets a tagline!
Doom Slayer Goes To Hell!
Master Hand Slaps You Silly!
Metal Mario Pulls His Weight!
Dr. Mario Prescribes Your Doom!
Fulgore Has The Killer Instinct!
Agumon Prepares To Digivolve!
Squirtle Comes out of its shell!
Pichu makes a Shocking return!
Ivysaur Whips it good!
Young Link Hiyah!!!
Wolf can't let you do that!

At least ones without a tagline. I had other joke ones, but these were among them. ...I had nothing good for IC's beyond a cold shoulder joke.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
If were going for taglines

Lugia takes the battle to the skies
Galar Trainer makes it big
Hattena gleams through the fight
Boltund bolts into battle
Corviknight Carrie’s through the competition
Tinkaton hammers the scene

On a related note, I consider Dragapult one of my main choices of Galar Pokémon to get in (along with Galar Trio). Also I rather have Skeledirge then Meowsacarda in smash.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The laziest character taglines are the ones that go "(Character) (Verb)s in!"
I'm adding to this any tagline with the word "competition" in it. No, screw off, you could've done better than that.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
This is going to sound crazy but I think if Eevee was a playable Smash fighter, it should just...be a simple fighter with Extreme Evoboost as its Final Smash. That way, you can use the other Eeveelutions without having to over-complicate Eevee's moveset. Besides, with it having become a secondary mascot for Pokemon as a whole alongside Pikachu, keeping its moveset relatively simple is more likely to win over people who love Pokemon but haven't played a Smash game before.

FazDude

Smash Master
This is going to sound crazy but I think if Eevee was a playable Smash fighter, it should just...be a simple fighter with Extreme Evoboost as its Final Smash. That way, you can use the other Eeveelutions without having to over-complicate Eevee's moveset. Besides, with it having become a secondary mascot for Pokemon as a whole alongside Pikachu, keeping its moveset relatively simple is more likely to win over people who love Pokemon but haven't played a Smash game before.
I’d personally make it so Eevee turns into different Eeveelutions for certain attacks before switching back, kinda like Kazuya and his devil form.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Eggman, in himself has all the merit for Smash, is an incredibly boring pick. As much as I try to "Get it" the more meh I am. He's a villain troupe to fill niche quota, which is pretty terrible quite frankly.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Eggman, in himself has all the merit for Smash, is an incredibly boring pick. As much as I try to "Get it" the more meh I am. He's a villain troupe to fill niche quota, which is pretty terrible quite frankly.
While I do agree that villain quota is dumb, Eggman IMO makes perfect sense with all his crazy tools and boss fights - Bowser Jr's weaponry is more slapstick, while Eggman's would be a little more threatening and realistic, while still having a slight comedic element from simply how big and intense they are. Admittedly though, I think his moveset would be quite boring if they primarily took cues from the 2000s games (that's a problem I have a lot with villain picks - that they don't do anything except "shoot laser and bomb" (looking at you, Cortex and Gruntilda))

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While I do agree that villain quota is dumb, Eggman IMO makes perfect sense with all his crazy tools and boss fights - Bowser Jr's weaponry is more slapstick, while Eggman's would be a little more threatening and realistic, while still having a slight comedic element from simply how big and intense they are. Admittedly though, I think his moveset would be quite boring if they primarily took cues from the 2000s games (that's a problem I have a lot with villain picks - that they don't do anything except "shoot laser and bomb" (looking at you, Cortex and Gruntilda))
hey, grunty also asks questions

UserKev

Smash Champion
1694027520474.png

I find Eggman's whole niche very plain. And showy. I don't see what he'd bring other than being a villain. I don't get it. All of his boss fights are boring to me. Nothing special at all.

FazDude

Smash Master
I do admit Eggman would be a little less unique with Junior in the picture (not that I'm complaining about his inclusion), but I still think that he warrants an inclusion due to just how iconic of a gaming villain he is. I think villains in general are becoming a tad bit overhyped, but Eggman is one that stands in an entirely different patheon compared to someone like Grunty or even Cortex.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Pac-Man in Smash games is a lazy and half-disrespectful rep from Pac-Man franchise,Pac-Man on Smash just have references from his classic games,but man,Pac-Man deserves to have more references on his games as Pac-Man 2,Pac-Man World trillogy and Pac-in-Time

FazDude

Smash Master
Pac-Man in Smash games is a lazy and half-disrespectful rep from Pac-Man franchise,Pac-Man on Smash just have references from his classic games,but man,Pac-Man deserves to have more references on his games as Pac-Man 2,Pac-Man World trillogy and Pac-in-Time
I'd argue Pac-Man's moveset is solid as-is (and definitely not lazy) and I can't really think of anything from 2/World/etc. that I'd choose to replace any move (aside from maybe a Butt Bounce Down Air), but not having any World music is saddening as hell.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Unfortunately I think the main reason he doesn't have anything representing the World games (minus one probably-accidental reference with his up air) is because those games are virtually unknown in Japan, despite them being fan favorites in the west. It's why, ultimately, the extent of his representation comes from the original game, Super Pac-Man, and Pac-Land (the last of which was incredibly popular in Japan).

Realistically the big thing I think is missing (that also doesn't have the weirdly lopsided popularity issues the World games do) is representation from the Championship Edition subseries.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If Banjo was in the base game, I wouldn’t mind Grunty being a boss. In fact, I also think Mega Rayquaza, Duon and Magician Type 0 should’ve also been bosses (that last one could also get the Rathalos treatment as both a boss and an Assist Trophy).
Mega Rayquaza would be perfect for phase 2 of Rayquaza after finishing off its health bar like the Dracula fight.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think villains in general are becoming a tad bit overhyped
It depends on how you look at it. We need to move into the age of secondary antagonists. There are still fun light hearted villains like Kamek and Birdo left for Smash. I mean, Birdo is fairly antagonistic to Mario and co. Skull Kid, while I don't find hype anymore, would be a fun character personality wise. Captain Syrup, Meowth, etc.

FazDude

Smash Master
It depends on how you look at it. We need to move into the age of secondary antagonists. There are still fun light hearted villains like Kamek and Birdo left for Smash. I mean, Birdo is fairly antagonistic to Mario and co. Skull Kid, while I don't find hype anymore, would be a fun character personality wise. Captain Syrup, Meowth, etc.
goomba army rise up

Laniv

Smash Champion
I've been saying King Boo would be cool for years

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I unironically think a Yiga Footsoldier should be Sheik’s Echo Fighter.
That... would make a lot of sense. But it would be better as a color-swap, so they don't waste time on some animations for a character that nobody really wants.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
That... would make a lot of sense. But it would be better as a color-swap, so they don't waste time on some animations for a character that nobody really wants.
Just because nobody wants a character doesn't make them a bad inclusion, waste of time, or "lesser" than a more popular pick. There's more to character inclusions than just the response to the reveal. Same goes in reverse, just because a character is one of the top most wanted doesn't make them worth the time to include. Ultimately, when it comes to matters like this, one's own opinion - be that the developer, or a fan making hypothetical content for/critiquing the game - should matter more than the majority's.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Just because nobody wants a character doesn't make them a bad inclusion, waste of time, or "lesser" than a more popular pick. There's more to character inclusions than just the response to the reveal. Same goes in reverse, just because a character is one of the top most wanted doesn't make them worth the time to include. Ultimately, when it comes to matters like this, one's own opinion - be that the developer, or a fan making hypothetical content for/critiquing the game - should matter more than the majority's.
I disagree.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Related to this discussion, but not a response per say: As someone who was there for the 3DS/Wii U and Ultimate speculation cycles, when it comes to supposed "fulfilled dreams", people really exaggerate how much certain characters were wanted by fans.

Cloud was considered a joke pick on par with Shrek and Cory Baxter, Joker was almost off of the radar and Terry absolutely was, Dr. Mario was considered disappointing and asking for Pichu and Young Link would get you laughed out of the room, more than a few people were grateful to see supposed-but-actually-not-at-all "PlayStation icon" Snake go, Pac-Man and the Miis were seen by many as unsalvageable from a moveset perspective, Steve goes without saying, Daisy was treated as the Mario equivalent to Scrappy Doo, "Squirtle should be swapped for Blastoise" was a common sentiment, and if there was a "What's your LEAST favourite pick?" option on the ballot with Reddit-style scoring, Sora and Ridley would've had scores in the double digits - if Waluigi gets in, no doubt people are gonna say "Well, Waluigi was wanted by EVERYONE so thank you Daddy Sakurai!" when the narrative before was that Waluigi fans broke into Sakurai's house and killed his cat. Same with Geno, same with Jonesy, same with Sans, same with Angry Birds, Krystal, Roblox Noob, Shadow, Ashley, Isaac, Freddy Fazbear, Kratos, so on and so forth.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Fighter's pass 3 , assuming it gets announced on Wednesday , might wind up being better than , all the current third party characters combined.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Semi-related to what's currently being discussed, I think it'd be cool if they let the devs pursue characters they're personally into from time to time. Have a few Powdered Toast Mans with the horde of SpongeBobs, y'know?
he has

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With all the various different versions of major Smash characters, I'd actually be down for a Multiverse theme for the next SSB, where the core versions of the roster are kept but face off against different versions with entirely different movesets. Default Mario vs. Odyssey powers Mario, Default Peach vs. Showtime Peach (with swordfighting and kung fu!), default Ganondorf vs. TotK/Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf. Just go nuts with the idea of different iconic versions facing off.

ProtoAdaptor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5200-3069-3826
oh my goodness the mega man main is here are they gonna complain about about mega man?

god i just wish we had more. even the music choices are pathetic. no ending themes? even though the mm2 and mm3 endings are iconic? NO FRIEND OR FOE???? WHY IS THE MM4 MEDLEY ONLY TWO SONGS

and jesus, one fighter? come on, give us bass. give him a moveset based on mm&b/mm10 weapons. since that's what he'd have access to. those characters dont get any rep via mega man's movesets after all. or maybe one of the zx protags, with their gimmick being the biometals? or hell, give us a netnavi. ANYTHING. MEGA MAN HAS HUNDREDS OF CHARACTERS AND YOU ARE DOING NOTHING WITH THEM. at least give us proto man as an assist trophy. or even just put his theme in. not even remixed. please

and Hoo Boy do i have some words against mega man's final smash. its just. its so nothing. what? what is happening. give us super adaptor mega man. or maybe his double buster shot from super adventure rockman? anything that has more ground in canon. the busters dont even shoot lazers (ok geo mega could shoot lazers for all that i care, i do not care about star force). also why black hole bomb? thats the single mm9 rep in the whole game why is it in the final smash

also, wasn't there a roll assist trophy in smash 4? where did she go? please give me my daughter back nintendo i miss her so much. i feel like dr cossack rn

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
also, wasn't there a roll assist trophy in smash 4?
No that was Elec Man.

All that aside, I think you're the first person to complain about the Mega Man content. It's genuinely one of the better treated third parties.

ProtoAdaptor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5200-3069-3826
No that was Elec Man.
WE HAD ELEC MAN????? AND THEY TOOK HIM OUT?????????????????????

All that aside, I think you're the first person to complain about the Mega Man content. It's genuinely one of the better treated third parties.
maybe im jaded by how our own company is disregarding us, and maybe its me coming to smash as a mega man fan first, but i feel like there's so little compared to how much is in mega man. i think the reason why its so well treated is because (SO I'VE HEARD, DO NOT TAKE THIS AS FACT) capcom was really lenient with him, and that's why hes like everywhere. but idk, as a character hes good but as a representation of mega man ive always been upset with it. mainly just how Dead he seems. i love mega man so much that i guess i just want more of him

ProtoAdaptor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5200-3069-3826
We traded Elec Man for Dr. Wily and Zero. I say its a fair trade.
oh yeah totally. wily machine 7 was an awesome pick for wily as well. the one that was designed to be so hard you need an e-tank. perfect choice for that. i would've liked to see elec man's theme but its cool to have it in cut man's theme i guess

Laniv

Smash Champion
oh my goodness the mega man main is here are they gonna complain about about mega man?

god i just wish we had more. even the music choices are pathetic. no ending themes? even though the mm2 and mm3 endings are iconic? NO FRIEND OR FOE???? WHY IS THE MM4 MEDLEY ONLY TWO SONGS

and jesus, one fighter? come on, give us bass. give him a moveset based on mm&b/mm10 weapons. since that's what he'd have access to. those characters dont get any rep via mega man's movesets after all. or maybe one of the zx protags, with their gimmick being the biometals? or hell, give us a netnavi. ANYTHING. MEGA MAN HAS HUNDREDS OF CHARACTERS AND YOU ARE DOING NOTHING WITH THEM. at least give us proto man as an assist trophy. or even just put his theme in. not even remixed. please

and Hoo Boy do i have some words against mega man's final smash. its just. its so nothing. what? what is happening. give us super adaptor mega man. or maybe his double buster shot from super adventure rockman? anything that has more ground in canon. the busters dont even shoot lazers (ok geo mega could shoot lazers for all that i care, i do not care about star force). also why black hole bomb? thats the single mm9 rep in the whole game why is it in the final smash

also, wasn't there a roll assist trophy in smash 4? where did she go? please give me my daughter back nintendo i miss her so much. i feel like dr cossack rn
Bass shoulda been an echo fighter. Him or Proto Man. Maybe even Roll

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bass shoulda been an echo fighter. Him or Proto Man. Maybe even Roll
Roll isn't really the same bodyshape overall. She's pretty close, but still different. She would make way more sense as a clone akin either to Dr. Mario or Isabelle(depending upon what route they want to take).

The rest do work, though they'd have to make ProtoMan's Shield aesthetic only so he's the relative same bodyshape(while still having it usable for some kind of move/taunt/animation). Bass is actually the closest without extra work/caveats otherwise(and is the only one of the three to be a pure mirror to MegaMan's abilities. ProtoMan is close, but has unique skills and doesn't get a pet like Bass does, nor a fusion with it. Treble is pretty much there to mirror Rush's gameplay so MegaMan & Bass can play alike).

They could also use X as a semi-clone(due to a massively different bodyshape, he's more like Young Link/Toon Link) to represent a different part of the franchise. He's a pretty popular choice among many as well(though I think Zero would be more interesting, but to be fair, he's the more popular of the two, heh. He's also got a more interesting story in the games, and his own spin-offs, so he broke out pretty well. He wasn't even a hero from the start, being he and Sigma swapped roles essentially. This for sure helped along with him not being a mirror to X so much as a different gameplay counterpart while sharing an "ability copy system", but done differently).

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Now I'm older, I'm starting to realize that the fighter ballot was kinda weird and a tiny bit scummy in concept. Even putting aside my gripes with the ways Smash appeals to fan demand, and the dubious way Bayonetta's reveal was handled, it's basically just an unpaid market research survey, and signifies that the developers of a game that's current identity is appealing to fan demand can't be bothered to actually read fan outlets.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Now I'm older, I'm starting to realize that the fighter ballot was kinda weird and a tiny bit scummy in concept. Even putting aside my gripes with the ways Smash appeals to fan demand, and the dubious way Bayonetta's reveal was handled, it's basically just an unpaid market research survey, and signifies that the developers of a game that's current identity is appealing to fan demand can't be bothered to actually read fan outlets.
...Because they're godawful to find details on. You can't find ones these days that don't have extremely limited userpools(meaning they barely scratch the surface of who actually buys Smash), often full of random people who don't know what they want, does not adhere to any actual rules(or rules that don't follow what Nintendo has any interest in). The Smash Ballot appealed to far more people being more worldwide, and had a much bigger pool of participants.

There's nothing remotely scummy about it. It's properly giving the fanbase(which is anyone who has interest in the games) a way to express their desires. Besides that, it actually does what other ones don't do, ask for their input on how they want a character to be implemented, meaning it provided an actual useful set of feedback.

Really, how they handled Bayonetta(which appears to be she was already planned, and the ballot at most is a coincidence) is some kind of white lie if the ballot had no straight influence(it's not impossible she was chosen from some ideas because she already had a proof of concept done, but only cause the ballot ultimately made it clear she was a worthwhile choice. Something they could have had quickly enough). We don't know the exact details on that. We only know that she scored very high, and happened to be a character who was highly realizable at the time(possibly due to already being planned). So white lie isn't really even accurate, as they didn't say she won the ballot. Just that she scored high. People put them together as a combined statement, not what was actually said nor intended. Which is also part of how poorly it was explained, indeed. Even then, that's really the only problem with the ballot. Which doesn't make the ballot itself scummy, just Nintendo's terrible explanation for it that comes off far more worse than they intended(especially with Ultimate explaining how got higher than Bayonetta). Wording isn't their forte sometimes.

Top Bottom