• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
-Sonic should have never been in Smash and he's the most overrated video game character next to Cloud Strife.
How do you feel about the other third party characters? I'm genuinely curious because I think that Sonic, overrated or not, deserves to get in more than any other third party character. He has an extremely notable history with Nintendo due to the console wars.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I share the same opinion with the overweight iceskater when it comes to Sonic.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How do you feel about the other third party characters? I'm genuinely curious because I think that Sonic, overrated or not, deserves to get in more than any other third party character. He has an extremely notable history with Nintendo due to the console wars.
Megaman definitely deserved to get in. He's the star of over 100 games with more than 4/5ths of them showing up on Nintendo systems at some point since the original NES. I'd argue that Snake was a fantastically bizarro choice because Metal Gear Solid is seen as a flagship franchise for Sony but, to his credit, the character himself is actually interesting and was made a fun character to play as in Brawl. I'd also argue that Bomberman was very deserving based on his history with the big N and should have been Konami's pick for a character in Brawl instead of Snake. It's too bad Konami closed the Hudson Soft division a couple of years back.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Megaman definitely deserved to get in. He's the star of over 100 games with more than 4/5ths of them showing up on Nintendo systems at some point since the original NES. I'd argue that Snake was a fantastically bizarro choice because Metal Gear Solid is seen as a flagship franchise for Sony but, to his credit, the character himself is actually interesting and was made a fun character to play as in Brawl. I'd also argue that Bomberman was very deserving based on his history with the big N and should have been Konami's pick for a character in Brawl instead of Snake. It's too bad Konami closed the Hudson Soft division a couple of years back.
I see. I definitely agree with those statements, but why doesn't Sonic deserve to get in with the rest of those characters?

Delicious Tears

Smash Journeyman
Ridley and Toad will never be playable characters!

And people who don't want retro or obscure characters are just jealous of them to a really huge level.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
- sakurai does not care about the usa and favors his homeland when choosing characters
- the game looks to be more complete then ppl give it credit
- I liked brawl better then melee
- ridley is the most deserved newcomer in this game
- the 6 leaked newcomers that where said to be revealed at e3 was misunderstood and is really ALL the newcomers( god please be wrong lol)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
All right, well here's a long list of stuff. I can't really say these are the best ideas ever. But hey, that's what this thread is for. I'd be glad to discuss stuff if anyone cares enough.

- A second Megaman character would be really freaking cool. I wouldn't mind a second Sonic character, but it does depend on who it is.

- None of the potential retro choices aside from Little Mac seem all that interesting.

- I want Samus to be separated from Zero Suit Samus. Neither really benefit from the other all that much.

- No one else from Fire Emblem is really needed other than Ike and Marth. Not even Roy.

- Toon Link's clone status is a missed opportunity, he could have been made more different than what he is now.

- Wario could use more moves based on his platforming games. And Toad doesn't seem like an interesting choice in the slightest.
- A new Pokemon character isn't very likely at all. None of them haven't reach the popularity of Pikachu, The Kanto Starters, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff or Lucario.

- I don't mind some later development clones, provided they are more like Wolf, rather than Toon Link.

- A lack of a story mode may be a blessing in disguise. As in, we may get other single player modes, or perhaps even new characters instead.

- Wii Fit Trainer isn't all that interesting. To me anyway, I feel like some people just like "weird" characters for the sake of liking something that's unexpected.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
Ike >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Roy. Far more unique, and I never missed him once I found out about Ike.

Metroid and F Zero are by far the series most deserving of another character, having only had one, and since the very beginning. Ridley and Black Shadow would be perfect.

I predict that there's gonna be a 70% chance of me liking Smash 4 more than Melee, as it'll have a vast roster like Brawl, but with the precision (to an extent) of Melee.

I think that Boo is the most deserving Mario rep to be in Smash 4 after Waluigi.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't think a franchise should have more than four character slots.

Mother and F-Zero should have the same amount of characters.

Sakurai should focus more on adding characters from different franchises rather than adding more characters to franchises already established in Smash.

Having a diverse roster is more important than having your favorite character in.

Sleeves

Smash Rookie
-- Not sure if unpopular, but I could see Naked Snake being a legitimate roster contender given the fairly recent 3DS remake and the fact that almost every character announced so far has a "Want to see more of [character]? Visit the official site of [game they're trying to plug]!"

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
- I personally think that Ridley is just a Pyrosphere background character
- Sonic was added to this game so the Hardcore Sonic fans will buy it because of that one reason.
- I personally would like to see Princess Daisy as an Assist Trophy more than Rosalina, Bowser Jr. and Waluigi.
- Toad was my highest wanted Mario newcomer character .
- I like to play 4-player FFA 5 Stock on any maps (except Mario Bros).

Viking Milo

Smash Rookie
Dr. Mario and Mewtwo need to return.

Hawlucha should be playable.

Mega evolutions shouldn't be added.

Ridley should be scaled down and added, since they made Olimar 1000x bigger to fit in the game.

Ganondorf shouldn't be a Falcon clone (I know there are minor differences, but they're essentially the same)

Remove Jigglypuff. I know Jigglypuff is a veteran, but there is hardly anyone who uses it.

Daisy should stay a skin for Peach.
Rosalina is stupid.

Tails sucks.

Knuckles would be ok.

Shadow would be a sonic clone

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Lucas should be cut: He is part of a niche series and brings nothing new to Smash.
I would be okay with another Sonic character if it is Tails or Knuckles. Preferably Knuckles.
Roy is terribly overrated.
Snake has no business in Super Smash Bros.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So what? It has so many strengths for building a HUGE competitive scene, so at least I'll have more people to play with :smirk:
The only thing I don't like is the fact that the Wii U stages look so much better.

As someone who will be getting the 3DS version first, I want to see more interesting stages on the 3DS.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I think tripping should return- WAIT! I CAN EXPLAIN!! (gets shot multiple times from different directions and falls over dead)

I wasn't finished. I think tripping should return under the following conditions:

1. As a tactical effect of a move (aka Diddy's bananas or like the moves in Brawl that cause a chance of tripping)

2. Random tripping as either a special vs. mode or a global option that can be toggled on and off. By default, it should be off.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I see. I definitely agree with those statements, but why doesn't Sonic deserve to get in with the rest of those characters?
He has his merits but I think Brawl was too soon for his appearance in a Smash game. He's iconic but I feel a lot of it is severally overblown due to a rabid fanbase. He's like the high school friend who you thought was funny back in high school because he did nothing but quote Family Guy and South Park but after going away to college and growing up a bit from your experience, you come back to find that he hasn't changed and that he was never really that funny to begin with. It's a character that thinks its cool but really isn't and I think that's what jars me the most about Sonic. It's a character that's wildly successful but really doesn't deserve to have the success that hehas had. Mario has a mediocre game; the fans practically nail Nintendo to a cross. Sonic has a bad game; his fans still buy it in droves. It's utterly baffling.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think tripping should return- WAIT! I CAN EXPLAIN!! (gets shot multiple times from different directions and falls over dead)

I wasn't finished. I think tripping should return under the following conditions:

1. As a tactical effect of a move (aka Diddy's bananas or like the moves in Brawl that cause a chance of tripping)

2. Random tripping as either a special vs. mode or a global option that can be toggled on and off. By default, it should be off.
I honestly wouldn't mind the return of tripping, it made the game more fun in my opinion.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I honestly wouldn't mind the return of tripping, it made the game more fun in my opinion.
I wouldn't mind either. It's never been something that has drove me crazy. I do like Jumpman84's idea of being able to toggle it on or off though.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
I have extremely low expectations for this game I think it's going to be nothing special
I feel it will be the most casual game yet
Sakurai's going to run this series straight into the ground due to his refusal to make the game around competition

Will see what happens but, right now I couldn't be any less hyped for smash 4.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Mario has a mediocre game; the fans practically nail Nintendo to a cross. Sonic has a bad game; his fans still buy it in droves. It's utterly baffling.
I thank you for going into more detail, but could you give me examples, please? The last heavily criticized Mario game I can recall is NSMB2, and I'm pretty sure it still sold very well. Also, the Sonic fanbase has been really touchy with recent Sonic games ever since Sonic 06.

I think being recognizable and significant to Nintendo's history are two important factors third parties really have to pay attention to, and Sonic excels in both of those areas. I personally like Mega Man way more than I like Sonic, but I wouldn't say that Mega Man deserves to get in before him.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I would be down with dropping Wolf. Why does Fox need two clones? They're not even quite Luigi-fied enough to be justified. That said, I still prefer Falco to Fox.

I'd rather drop Ness than Lucas. Lucas was a really fun character to play as while Ness just... isn't. For me at least.

Charizard blows. Easily the worst of PkMn Trainer's. But Ivysaur is amazing. If they ditch Squirtle & Ivysaur for solozard I'm going to be ridiculously irritated.

I think Wii Fit Trainer is okay, but I don't think she should replace any characters.

With the retainment of Toon Link, I don't think we'll see many cuts if any. (Is that an unpopular opinion?)

I love Final Smashes and would love to see them expanded upon (Falco needs his changed to fit the character etc)

Mega Man is deserving and looks cool and all, but did not affect my hype level in any way.

I really don't know what to think of the 3DS version. I'm going to buy it for sure, but... It's just not anywhere near as exciting as the Wii U version (Which I bought a Wii U for)

I won't miss SSE. It was a cool idea and was awesome the first time but doesn't give Brawl the same replay value as Melee's adventure mode did. I'm hoping we get one like Melee's for SSB4.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I thank you for going into more detail, but could you give me examples, please? The last heavily criticized Mario game I can recall is NSMB2, and I'm pretty sure it still sold very well. Also, the Sonic fanbase has been really touchy with recent Sonic games ever since Sonic 06.

I think being recognizable and significant to Nintendo's history are two important factors third parties really have to pay attention to, and Sonic excels in both of those areas. I personally like Mega Man way more than I like Sonic, but I wouldn't say that Mega Man deserves to get in before him.
That's the thing though, the fans have been incredibly forgiving of bad Sonic games. Most franchises would be lucky to even survive after a game like Sonic '06, let alone continue to get almost yearly installments. F-Zero GX was highly praised but sold terribly; the franchise is pretty much dead. The last three Star Fox were medicore at best; it's highly questionable if it'll ever come back. Megaman 10 didn't do as good as Capcom had hoped; franchise has been on an almost 4 year hiatus. Metroid Other M was panned by critics; Metroid will probably be shelved for another 2-3 years. Sonic releases Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic '06, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic and the Black Knight back to back and keeps making games annually. This stretch of bad games would have killed any other franchise and most dead franchises have been done in by a single bad game.

As a person who grew up during it, I think the SEGA and Nintendo wars of the early 90's are overblown. Was there a rivalry? Yes and it was pretty intense... for about 3 years, not the entirety of the SNES/Genesis era like some people think. SEGA had an edge on Nintendo from 1990 to 1993 and was able to match their big hits with games equally as great but around 1994, things really started to take off for Nintendo and produced arguably the three best years gaming has ever seen. Juggernauts like Super Metroid, the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, Megaman X-X3, Yoshi's Island, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (VI), Kirby Superstar, Super Mario RPG, etc came out and SEGA really had no real answer to any of these. The SEGA CD didn't take off and the SEGA Saturn practically crashed and burned by the time the Playstation came around. By 1996, SEGA's future was already questionable. I'd argue that the rivalry between Nintendo and Sony was significantly more important especially when you consider how Nintendo initially lost a ton of its third party developers to it and made them realize that cartridges were becoming more and more obsolete with each passing year. Sony made Nintendo realize that the days of the NES and SNES were over and that they had to change their strategy or get left in the dust (and in some aspects they are still playing catch up to this day).

Sonic didn't really bring anything new to gaming as a whole like Megaman did. Two important things that Megaman brought to gaming were being able to choose your own path in games and "rock-paper-scissor" strategies not only when it came to beating bosses but also figuring out the best way to go through stages. This is especially significantly when you consider how most games back then were extremely linear. The Sonic games were a lot like the Mario games and used many of the same elements with the only real major difference being speed. The gameplay was faster but that wasn't something that really inspired other games as a whole. On this end, this is why I'd argue that Snake contributed more to gaming than Sonic and his inclusion in Smash Bros was a little more understandable. The Metal Gear franchise popularized the concept of stealth in gaming which, obviously, is a widespread concept in a lot of games now-a-days. Were the original Sonic games good? Yes and they are indeed classics but I'd be hard pressed to say that they were revolutionary.

Then there comes the matter of when SEGA actually started to work with Nintendo; 2002. Sonic was announced in Brawl in 2007. See the issue? Megaman had games with Nintendo since 1987 (with a vast majority of them being Nintendo exclusives until 1997, I might add). Bomberman since 1983. Even Snake had some games going back to 1987. It doesn't help that Sonic didn't really have any real console exclusives with Nintendo until the Wii with the first one being Sonic and the Secret Rings in early 2007 so, in that sense, Sonic only had a little more than half of a year and a single exclusive Nintendo console game before being admitted into a franchise that celebrated the history of Nintendo as a whole. When this all is considered, you see that Sonic pretty much got in because of his popularity. This isn't to completely discount the Sonic Advance series or the Sonic Rush games but it shows that Sonic hasn't had that much of a showing for Nintendo consoles as people give him credit for.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Afraid of posting an opinion/statement pertaining to Smash 4 because you know nobody will agree with you? Then this is the thread for you! All thanks to one golden rule for this topic: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTER'S OPINIONS. If people here aren't mature enough to follow this simple rule then I will request for this thread to be locked. If you don't agree with something (which you likely won't), either ignore it or leave the thread. See how easy that is?

So with that being said I'll start us out...

- Smash 4 will feature no more than about 45 roster slots, which means there will be quite a few cuts and not as many newcomers as people are hoping for
- Wii Fit Trainer's reveal was more hype than Megaman's
- Smash 4 is at risk of featuring a really unbalanced roster (like Brawl's and sort of like Melee) with Sakurai at the helm once again
- Although the graphics are great part of me misses the "gritty" look that Brawl had
- This will be the last Smash Bros game Sakurai is in charge of developing due to the amount of physical and mental stress that he has had to endure over the years
- I wish all of the resources going into making the 3DS version were instead geared towards making the Wii U version (main version) as refined as possible
- I'm against the idea of Smash 4 featuring DLC

DISCUSS.
Ghirahim for Smash 4, your thoughts guys?

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
No real hype for Smash 4, all the hype in the world for Project M 3.0!
Unpopular? Not in PM thread, but here...that's why I posted it here. Lol

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Unpopular opinions?

- Chrom is my second most wanted character, only behind Little Mac.
- I dislike the idea of playable Miis.
- I'd be fine with Pac-Man, as long as Snake's also in.
- I think having no Brawl cuts is a strong (and should be considered the default) possibility.
- Anyone who thinks Fox and Wolf are clones have never pressed the A-button to attack.
- I'd be fine if we only got four more newcomers (in addition to MM/Villager/WFT), provided we keep all of the Brawl veterans and Mewtwo.
- Takamaru seems like a really bland choice for a retro newcomer in comparison to Muddy Mole, Lip or Mach Rider.
- Having different characters be Alt. Costumes (ie, giving Marth a Lucina costume and actually calling it Lucina) is a terrible idea.
- Clones are just dandy.
- Some posters have turned me off of the idea of certain characters being added, such as Impa, Doctor Kawashima (not that it was happening anyway...) and, oddly enough, Roy.
- Wii Fit Trainer will be our token surprise character.

Morbi

Scavenger
Unpopular opinions?

- Chrom is my second most wanted character, only behind Little Mac.
- I dislike the idea of playable Miis.
- I'd be fine with Pac-Man, as long as Snake's also in.
- I think having no Brawl cuts is a strong (and should be considered the default) possibility.
- Anyone who thinks Fox and Wolf are clones have never pressed the A-button to attack.
- I'd be fine if we only got four more newcomers (in addition to MM/Villager/WFT), provided we keep all of the Brawl veterans and Mewtwo.
- Takamaru seems like a really bland choice for a retro newcomer in comparison to Muddy Mole, Lip or Mach Rider.
- Having different characters be Alt. Costumes (ie, giving Marth a Lucina costume and actually calling it Lucina) is a terrible idea.
- Clones are just dandy.
- Some posters have turned me off of the idea of certain characters being added, such as Impa, Doctor Kawashima (not that it was happening anyway...) and, oddly enough, Roy.
- Wii Fit Trainer will be our token surprise character.
Those are not really unpopular opinions, in fact, I agree with almost every single one of them. Haha.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Those are not really unpopular opinions, in fact, I agree with almost every single one of them. Haha.
You'd be surprised, haha. Many of them I didn't think were unpopular until I read the other posts in this thread! :laugh:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I have more!
  • I fully believe Ridley will not be playable in this game.
  • I never enjoyed Fire Emblem.
  • Waddle/Bandanna Dee is a nogo for me because of a certain poster/piece of furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom