• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Afraid of posting an opinion/statement pertaining to Smash 4 because you know nobody will agree with you? Then this is the thread for you! All thanks to one golden rule for this topic: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTER'S OPINIONS. If people here aren't mature enough to follow this simple rule then I will request for this thread to be locked. If you don't agree with something (which you likely won't), either ignore it or leave the thread. See how easy that is?

READ THE FOLLOWING FROM SENATOR SHAYA BEFORE POSTING:
Here's a check list of sorts, that hopefully neglects silly one liners with the substance of "you suck" for a more enjoyable environment and discourse.

Understand perspective - There are multiple "sects" within the Smash community, there are no entitlements without due deserve. Someone's opinion is based on their perspective (a casual, a tournament competitive player, an online player, etc) and what they suggest is (without being purposely antagonistic) for the improvement of their "group" and not a detriment to any other demographic.
Understand the human reality - That people know what they say is just an opinion, that they know there is an unlikelihood to change, and although their tone may come off as otherwise, they understand the reality, in other words the fictitious nature of their ideas
Do not discredit people or invalidate opinions based off your own perspective, but how that scenario would impact positively or negatively on others.

It's hard to read through some of these pages with a straight face when there is consistent and considerate "my opinion is better than yours" attitudes going on here. What's the point? Opinions are there to be clarified, not destroyed. If people are being antagonistic for the sake of it, report it and don't entertain them.
So with that being said I'll start us out...

- Smash 4 will feature no more than about 45 roster slots, which means there will be quite a few cuts and not as many newcomers as people are hoping for
- Wii Fit Trainer's reveal was more hype than Megaman's
- Smash 4 is at risk of featuring a really unbalanced roster (like Brawl's and sort of like Melee) with Sakurai at the helm once again
- Although the graphics are great part of me misses the "gritty" look that Brawl had
- This will be the last Smash Bros game Sakurai is in charge of developing due to the amount of physical and mental stress that he has had to endure over the years
- I wish all of the resources going into making the 3DS version were instead geared towards making the Wii U version (main version) as refined as possible
- I'm against the idea of Smash 4 featuring DLC

DISCUSS.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think the inclusion of Mii is actually a good idea.

Customizable movesets for them are a terrible idea though.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Smash 4 is probably going to get an unnecessary Pokemon and it will be as boring to play and have as little personality as Lucario.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
"Smash 4 will be so awesome that everyone will stop playing Melee and/or Project M."

There, I said it.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
- I don't want Little Mac in the game.
- Wii Fit Trainer is an awesome idea
- I want more Mario characters
- I want cuts

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
I don't want Peach's second jump to change from how it is in Brawl. *Gets inside bomb-shelter.*

I... also don't want Ridley in SSB4, I just don't think that he'd add much to the game. :I

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I don't want any awakening characters in this smash.

Overloading the roster with 3+ retros is a horrible idea.

I fear this game will be hard to keep between casual and competitive and just lean toward causal...again.

We might get another OP character or the balancing might not be as spot on as everyone expects.

Just because we got obscure characters doesn't mean the trend will continue

Characters aren't chosen because "Reps".

I don't like mayonnaise.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Off the top of my head...

--Sakurai is lying when he claims that Wii Fit Trainer wasn't added for the novelty of being a 'shock' character, considering with what little uniqueness she has to offer, there's no way he'd give her a second look if he weren't intentionally looking for someone like her.

--To go along with that, it'll take a lot to convince me that Wii Fit Trainer is anything but a Glorified Wireframe. There's nothing functionally unique about how she attacks, she just uses generic 'balanced' hits that happen to come in the form of yoga poses that can be used for unfunny joke pics.

--The idea of adding in token retro and shock characters irritates me. I don't care if they "excite" the director who thought tripping was a valid idea, I can't get invested in match-ups with them. I'd much rather see a dramatic fight between well-known characters with scores to settle, or to see who's stronger in a fantasy match-up, rather than one well-known character against an unknown quantity (that's one of several reasons I disliked the SSE).

--I'm aware that Smash 3DS was Iwata's original suggestion before Sakurai decided to complete games for both platforms, and I'm entirely aware of the business reasons for doing so, but in a perfect world, I'd have preferred that he double down on just the Wii U version. I'm worried that the precedent of creating Smash for both systems will mean we'll never not get Smash for both future handheld and console platforms out of fear of shortchanging one of the two, and depending on how these games turn out, that could be bad. Real bad.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Smash 4 is probably going to get an unnecessary Pokemon and it will be as boring to play and have as little personality as Lucario.
*cough*jigglypuff*cough*

Nd I agree Lucario in brawl was a mistake.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
-I don't care about or want anymore retro or obscure characters, I think that with the limited newcomer slots we have left there's some actually iconic characters we need to get in instead. There's no historic characters at the level of G&W and R.O.B either, the few suggestions I've seen haven't intrigued me at all. Wii Fit Trainer should be enough for the people who want obscure characters.

-I don't really want a Fire Emblem newcomer, I like Marth and Ike just fine. I don't really care about Roy either.

-I could do fine without Mewtwo, even if I'd like him to be in I don't see myself playing him if he has the same moveset as in Melee, so I wouldn't be hurt by him not being included. I still want him over Lucario though.

-At this point the only two potential newcomers I really care about seeing are Ridley and K. Rool. There are other potential newcomers I think deserve to be in and I'd be glad to see confirmed, but I could easily do without them, I mostly want them in for other people's sake. Brawl added all the characters I wanted besides that, and Mega Man is already confirmed too.

-Snake was a good fit by being the odd one out, as evidenced by his codecs, and I don't believe he has any reason to be cut. I really want to see him with SSB4's graphical style.

-There hasn't been a single veteran reveal that has made me excited, since none of my mains besides Samus have been shown. I'm not expecting to see one of my mains until Meta Knight with Kirby Triple Deluxe's release either, unless Dedede steals that spotlight.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't think Palutena's one notable game appearance warrants her a roster spot, especially since there are no plans for future Kid Icarus games.

I think a character's ability to be instantly recognised as a Nintendo All Star should outweigh any theoretical moveset potential or 'uniqueness' especially considering a lot of movesets are pulled out of thin air anyway.

Whilst I like Little Mac, I can't get excited about any moveset that is just punches.

I agree completely with BKupa666 about Wii Fit Trainer, and don't honestly think she adds anymore than a fighting wireframe/alloy does. I don't mind the character being in, but anyone who says she adds anything unique is off their rocker.

I don't want Smashboards ideal newcomer roster to be the only newcomers. I think that would be really boring.

I don't think Takamaru adds anything new(a swordsman with a projectile is not new), he's not that recognisable and honestly just think people are only vying for him so Sakurai gives him some sort of revival like he did with the far more deserving Kid Icarus series.

I hate the fact 3rd Parties outweighed Nintendo All Stars in Brawl. Even as a fan of Sonic, I think it's total bull**** that Megaman, Sonic and Snake have got into Smash Bros. as playable characters before the likes of Ridley, K. Rool, Toad, Samurai Goroh, Porky, Bowser Jr, Vaati, etc.

I still don't get why the hell Mario got FLUDD but Luigi didn't get his Poltergust and think Sakurai makes some pretty stupid decisions when it comes to movesets. Ganondorf still a Falcon Clone in Brawl was dumb, Peach having no Super Princess Peach moves is dumb.

I hate Lucas. There I said it. I would of preferred a character that felt vastly different for the second Mother rep if there HAD to be one.

Lucario and especially Jigglypuff never felt that deserving.

I do feel a lot better now!

Lotusclaw8

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-8228-5583
Yeah, I think due to balancing issues are going to mean less characters... And when I say less I mean I'll be shocked at over 40 characters...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Nice opinions everyone keep it up. :)

I'll add a few more of mine:

- Star Fox never should have received 3 reps (2 was fine) while the Mother series should have stayed at just 1
- I get slightly irritated at the fact that a lot of people seem to value new character additions over gameplay mechanics because we all know we're all getting the game regardless of who gets in or not... but the game's gameplay mechanics are what will determine if the game has enough in the tank for us to keep playing it or not
- With the new graphical style of Smash 4 (which leans more towards the true Nintendo cartoony side) Snake wouldn't look good at all and is one of the main reasons why I think he will be cut

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
-There are four characters who I have always thought never should have got in the game. They are: Ganondorf, Shiek, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers, and Snake. Ganon should have been added instead of Ganondorf, and Impa instead of Shiek.

-Toad is the most worthy addition, even more so than K. Rool or Ridley.

-Having two links is unnecessary. Trust me, I love Toon Link, a lot, but I see no point in having two.

-Luigi is terribly misrepresented.

-Smash 4 resembling Brawl more than Melee wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

-Making a 3DS version was a silly idea.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't hate clones with the intensity of a million suns. (Clones Final Smashes however...)

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Not exactly an unpopular opinion, on the contrary, it's more of a neutral opinion.

I wish that they hadn't removed The Sub Space Emissary. What made Brawl so different from the other Smash Games was that it had a story that included every character to some degree. Yes, it could have been done better, but this could have been the game that they got it right. Sadly, that's now an unattainable dream. :(

I also think that Sakurai is an idiot in some respects. His decisions border on trollish at times and I feel that he's a huge control freak who just won't use other people's ideas. :I

No disrespect to Sakurai personally, though.

Edit: I also hope that SSB4 won't punish defensive play. I may hate how you can't combo much in Brawl, but in Melee, I utterly despise how it punishes defensive playstyles more than Brawl does.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Dr. Kawashima and Nintendog are very likely to be in as playable characters since Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were announced playable because of their uniqueness.
(There I released my honest opinion)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I also think that Sakurai is an idiot in some respects. His decisions border on trollish at times and I feel that he's a huge control freak who just won't use other people's ideas. :I

I don't entirely disagree but can you give an example so I have a better idea of what your talking about?

Renji64

Smash Lord
Smash 4 looks like is gonna be brawl 2.0 and for casuals only.
There should had been only a wiiU smash 4.
There will never be a universial smash game that everyone enjoys.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
I don't entirely disagree but can you give an example so I have a better idea of what your talking about?
Well, let's see...:

Tripping

Not making an updated version of SSBB that was more balanced, and as a result that very task, which they could have done easily, became a fan project via Brawl +.

Trying to make the game more accessible by adding unnecessary mechanics (Tripping) that only made the game less fun for everyone (Including "Casual" players).

Somehow making three characters with the same Final Smash (I'm honestly certain that someone pointed out to him just how redundant an idea that was).

And my biggest example being:

Doing all the frame work on his own (That's something you'd usually leave up to a team of professionals, while supervising.)

That is not the job a single person should be doing. He honestly should of had a team helping him with it, and I can only hope that he learned from that mistake.

Again, I mean no disrespect to Sakurai, he's a gem of a person and a genius in terms of video games, but he does slip up every now and then.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
There will never be a universial smash game that everyone enjoys.

I'm pretty sure this is the case for pretty much anything gaming related. No matter how good a game is there's always going to be that one overly vocal group of people that hate the game with a passion for whatever reason.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I actively hate the idea of a Square character arriving, on account of every likely option being frankly horrible:
Final Fantasy? Cloud's the most famous protagonist. NOT a Nintendo All Star(and also another swordsman). Maybe Black Mage. Still not ideal.
Kingdom Hearts? Sora's partially owned by Disney who are a pain in the ass to work with(and also another swordsman, essentially).
Both are more associated with Sony than Nintendo too. But then, so was Snake.
Geno. I can't stand the idea of Toad, Jr, Waluigi or Rosalina losing out to this one time side character. I don't even LIKE Bowser Jr.

Falco didn't deserve to get in Melee over Wolf.

Toad and Meowth are as big Nintendo All Stars as Ridley, K. Rool and Little Mac are. I'm pretty sure they're better known than most the popular picks on Smashboards.

Stickers were a lame and pretty lazy collectable. At least give us a description with them.

F-Zero was more deserving of a second character than Mother was.

I don't get how people can say Pac-Man is any stupider an inclusion than any other 3rd party option. Especially since he's actually an All Star Legend.

I don't hate that Wavedashing was removed in Brawl, despite being able to pull it off in Melee. I just wish tripping hadn't been included instead.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
*cough*jigglypuff*cough*

Nd I agree Lucario in brawl was a mistake.
*cough*goku*cough* :smirk:

*ahem* Let's see if I can think of some...

Smash 4 is gonna be a Brawl 2.0 for the most part, but dat online tho.

Villagers tree cut attack is low tier.

People who want a vet should be cut for someone else are inferior. (Like Falco gets cut for Crystal)

Toad would make a dumb fighter.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
*cough*heaintapokemon*
*cough*idgafifheisn'tapokemanok*cough* :smirk:

*cough*goku*cough* :smirk:

*ahem* Let's see if I can think of some...

Smash 4 is gonna be a Brawl 2.0 for the most part, but dat online tho.

Villagers tree cut attack is low tier.

People who want a vet should be cut for a new character are inferior. (Like Falco gets cut for Crystal)

Toad would make a dumb fighter.
Aaand I updated just so you guys know.

D

Deleted member

-I want Dr. Mario to return and not just be a costume with minor aesthetic changes.

-I feel Ganondorf should be de-cloned further, but not be given a sword/trident/other weapon.

-I believe there is a possibility that Dark Pit is added instead of Palutena. (Doesn't mean I'd like it to happen.)

-I don't think being one of the "Original 12" means a character gets a free-pass no matter what (mainly applies to Jigglypuff).

-I say "pra_mai" is neither Plusle & Minun or the Random select.

-I'm perfectly fine with Ridley's adolescent stage being playable if Sakurai seriously can't make his adult stage work.

-I see a possibility of Waluigi being WarioWare-styled original to Smash. (Not a strong one, but I see it.)

And others that are too much to list.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
I think Jigglypuff and Snake will both be cut. I do not see GF allowing Jigglypuff over someone they promote/advertise. The reason why I think Snake will be cut is because of the bad relation between Konami and Nintendo. If Konami doesn't want Snake in, than he won't get it. Kojima already got his wish. No amount of Saturn butthurt arguments will change my opinion. (Even when he doesn't know several things, gets proven wrong, then ignores it and acts as if he was never wrong)

Oh and I love the idea of Smash 3DS. If there wasn't one, Namco Bandai wouldn't help make the game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Jigglypuff and Snake will both be cut. I do not see GF allowing Jigglypuff over someone they promote/advertise. The reason why I think Snake will be cut is because of the bad relation between Konami and Nintendo. If Konami doesn't want Snake in, than he won't get it. Kojima already got his wish. No amount of Saturn butthurt arguments will change my opinion. (Even when he doesn't know several things, gets proven wrong, then ignores it and acts as if he was never wrong)

Oh and I love the idea of Smash 3DS. If there wasn't one, Namco Bandai wouldn't help make the game.
Looks like we have something in common. :p

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I actually like the daily pics.

And that they're not outright revealing everything from the get-go.

I think even matching Brawl's roster count would be good enough.

I'd be okay with another Sonic character, depending on who it was.

I don't want Mega Evolutions to be included just for the sake of it. Not to say I don't like them; I'd be fine with them as alts.

Not a single **** will be given over whatever they do with Fire Emblem's character choice.

I don't care much for speculation/discussion, and just bear with it to pass the time. If I could hear/discuss nothing about the game from here to launch without succumbing to boredom, I'd do so in a heartbeat.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
-I hate Roy with a passion, but if he somehow had a better design, voice, and fanbase, I'd like him to return. (Not over Ike, though.)
-I think a Classic Link would be awesome, despite having three playable Links being stupid.
-I like clones, sometimes more than the originals.
-I actually like Link's moveset, and would rather make mechanical changes to him as opposed to moveset changes.
-That said, I absolutely HATE Link's Bow position in Brawl, and if it returns, I'll be tempted just to completely ditch him for Toon.
-Fox's blaster should be chargeable.
-I want the Pokemon roster to be; Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, and Pokemon Trainer.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I would like to see characters from smaller and non-existing franchises, in terms of Smash, have more representation than the big name series. These include Donkey Kong, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Advance Wars, etc.

Tiki is, in my opinion, the best newcomer for Fire Emblem. And if she doesn't get in as either a character or Assist Trophy then I'm not going to be super thrilled at whoever our third Fire Emblem character is if we get one, assuming Ike returns. Robin seems likely but firmly believe that Isaac would play the role of the Magic Knight better and Chrom, Lucina, and Roy pale in comparison to Tiki in terms of uniqueness, gameplay potential, and overall character.

I'm not impressed with many of the movesets for Pac-Man, I only dread the idea of Pac-Man because I fail to see potential in his moveset and that he might turn out to be similar to what Sonic was in Brawl (Furthermore they had to give him a mech to combat in SFxT which makes me more worried about the viability of his movepool).

Alternate character costumes for characters outside of avatars such as Mii, Robin, Villager, Pokemon Trainer, Wii Fit Trainer, etc. are a bad idea. Having Roy be a character costume for Marth for example implies to both players and their creators that there's nothing unique between both characters. I also have trouble understanding why some people think someone like Shulk is going to be an exact clone of Ike and would be better for one to be an alternate character costume of another.

At the very least Ganondorf should be allowed to use magic and be more decloned. Furthermore I would like to see each character receive a unique Final Smash instead of giving free Landmasters to everyone for example.

I don't like the concept of Miis or customizable characters. People will ultimately search for the best height, weight class, etc. this limiting the purpose of Miis, playing as you. Additionally we'll be seeing a lot of phallic symbols and Hitler staches.

Finally, you people also have incredibly high expectations when it comes to the picture of the day, I find them to be quite enjoyable.

/rant. Now I'm late for PChem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom