• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

Smash Apprentice
-The fact that Smash 4 is taking aspects from each of the games, including Smash 64, makes me really excited and hopeful that this game won't be a disaster in competitive terms.

-I want Medusa over Palutena. The gap between numbers of heroes and villains (no villainous females!!) shouldn't still be so large at this point. Adding Palutena wouldn't add anything in terms of a new personality.

-Tingle is the most deserving Zelda rep.

-I'd like to see the Mario series get a sixth character.

-Although I love all of the newcomers revealed so far, I think the developers have purposely held the crowd-pleasing newcomers for E3.

-Pyrosphere is the most beautiful stage Smash has ever seen. To have it ruined with a stage hazard would be very disappointing.

-I don't like how almost every new stage has a game-changing gimmick.

-I like how the competitive community is being considered by the development team, ever if what they're doing isn't perfect (ForGlory).

-Smash needs new play testers.

Ike_n_Ike

Smash Cadet
I hated Mewtwo in melee and don't want to see him back.

I'm also still convinced that Lucario was a cloned replacement of Mewtwo with only minor tweaks.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I hated Mewtwo in melee and don't want to see him back.

I'm also still convinced that Lucario was a cloned replacement of Mewtwo with only minor tweaks.
I agree with this to a point. For me, Mewtwo was so bad in Melee that it completely killed my enthusiasm for the character as a whole but I honestly don't care if it comes back or not. As for Lucario, I tried making that argument really early on after Brawl's final roster was revealed until it was shown that Lucario has way too much different from Mewtwo to be considered a clone. The only moves of theirs that are remotely similar are their standard B attack, d-throw, and f-smash.

Ike_n_Ike

Smash Cadet
t Lucario has way too much different from Mewtwo to be considered a clone. The only moves of theirs that are remotely similar are their standard B attack, d-throw, and f-smash.
I kind of acknowledge this to be true, but I've always thought they had eerily familiar play styles, just a personal opinion. Maybe it's the floaty-ness of the two of them, or their neutral B's, maybe I'm just stubborn and ignorant to facts haha.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
everyone has the right of hate something, or some character; but I think that person should see the situation of another point of view... and principally, try to know more about the character in question, and start to try to respect; not only the person who likes "x" character, but the character itself (I'm dead serious); .. I did with FireEmblem and all those unattractive characters (for my tastes), I played Kid Icarus and didn't find anything too much interesting, but I actually see why those characters deserves some kind of respect and why people want them so much (or why characters like Palutena has strong chances); And definitely, people should learn to stop just thinking about their tastes, and see how good certain additions and modifications can be for the game and the Smash Bros. series in general; as R.O.B. and Wii Fit Trainer.

that's all for now, I think

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't want Hades in any form in the game aside from maybe a trophy, I don't think Fire Emblem needs a newcomer either (I wouldn't be opposed to it tho as long as Ike stays).

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm not sure what the consensus is here yet, but at a different site I go to, a lot of people don't like the fact that they're trying to add more women into the roster. :(

However, I am down for more ladies joining the fray. Especially since there are so many interesting ones with awesome moveset potential. I hope this game brings more than 3 or 4.
Clearly they all sexist.

KatKit

Smash Lord
So far, the 3DS version has better stage exclusives.

I'm so jealous of Balloon Fight and Gerudo Valley, you don't even knoooow.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be upset, in fact I'd be happy if 6 months down the road from the Wii U release we got a paid DLC character pack from Namco that included only Namco characters.

Lloyd Irving, Klonoa, KOS-MOS, Kite, Zero, and Agumon confirmed

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
If one of the best reasons you can think of to exclude K. Rool in favor of Dixie is that we already have "Big fat villains," your reasoning is no better than wanting to exclude Chrom for being a "Blue haired swordsman."

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If one of the best reasons you can think of to exclude K. Rool in favor of Dixie is that we already have "Big fat villains," your reasoning is no better than wanting to exclude Chrom for being a "Blue haired swordsman."
"Do we really need another floaty blond primate who wears pink?"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Do we really need another floaty blond primate who wears pink?"
What's wrong with Pink? :awesome:

To note, I think the problem with Chrom is that he doesn't bring anything unique to the table as a swordsman. He's very boring to me. The blue hair just doesn't help in separating him from the rest of them. Just another small point that lameifies him for me. I still say Hector is the best non-Awakening rep to use, due to his Axe. And yes, I think FE is better off with a character with a different weapon than a sword than anyone else.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
What's wrong with Pink? :awesome:

To note, I think the problem with Chrom is that he doesn't bring anything unique to the table as a swordsman. He's very boring to me. The blue hair just doesn't help in separating him from the rest of them. Just another small point that lameifies him for me. I still say Hector is the best non-Awakening rep to use, due to his Axe. And yes, I think FE is better off with a character with a different weapon than a sword than anyone else.
Chrom is a middle ground between Ike's heavy style and Marth's fast style, he's like the Mario of FE characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Chrom is a middle ground between Ike's heavy style and Marth's fast style, he's like the Mario of FE characters.
I still don't care about any of that.

No more sword FE users, period. Unique weapon or GTFO. That's how I view it. I think Marth and Ike are good enough on their own and we just need a new weapon user to make FE way more interesting. We have Lords without a sword too. Why not use that?

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I still don't care about any of that.

No more sword FE users, period. Unique weapon or GTFO. That's how I view it. I think Marth and Ike are good enough on their own and we just need a new sword user to make FE way more interesting. We have Lords without a sword too. Why not use that?
Most people want Awakening representation because Awakening's the best Fire Emblem game ever...I wouldn't mind Robin if I could customize her to look like my own FE:A avatar.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Awakening is the best FE game ever?
iono man.... Genealogy of the Holy War shivved all the bricks, continually and excruciatingly.

As I've already said (I think), a mage would be great.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
- I like Charizard's Rock Smash.

-I think Robin would be a better FE rep than Chrom.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Frankly I'd take Micaiah or Tharja as a newcomer for Fire Emblem. I feel they'd bring something more than Chrom could.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Do people really hate Rock smash? Thats like the best move in Brawl. Theres almost no other way to beat boss battles on intense unless you spam rock smash.

Characters seem to be losing their individuality imo. Bowser and Yoshi are pretty good examples. Though their posture is minor it keeps them from being distinct and not so humanoid. Bowsers back air is a kick now... Bowser traded unique moves for attacks where he just kicks.... It just seems bland to me. I wish Sheik and Zelda were one character. Same goes for Samus and Zero suit Samus. Greninja has a really bland move-set so far. Nothing stands out to me other than his U-tilt. So many characters have cookie cutter movesets. Counter -> down b. Chargeable projectile -> B. Vertical recovery-> side B. Not all characters are like this but most of them are. I'm just noticing a lot more of this pattern in this game in comparison to others. Even Charizard is a victim of having his move set changed to something that everyone has (Flare blitz). Sheik's new jump attack is very similar to Zero suits down b. I don't know why they copied DeDeDe's down b and just gave it to Kirby... Characters are becoming very similar in this game and I feel like its going to hurt it in my eyes. The characters are different but on a fundamental level their moves can be similarly categorized.

It could just be them "balancing" by giving everyone similar moves with minor tweaks but they don't necessarily have to do it like that. And in some cases they don't.

With all the buffs we've seen I wouldn't be surprised if Goldeen was buffed somehow.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
*I think all of the new items look pretty fantastic, but there are way too many of them. It's almost overwhelming. Also, way too many Zelda and Kid Icarus (Uprising) items.
*I didn't want any Gen 6 Pokemon to be playable, but if I were forced to choose one, I'd have much rather gone with Hawlucha over Greninja, especially after finding out that you can jump off of the ropes on the Boxing Ring stage.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
- I loved Rock Smash in Brawl and I'm quite happy that it is returning.

- I still think Ivysaur and Squirtle have a small chance to return in addition to Mewtwo and Jigglypuff.

- Snake is not nearly as unlikely as many seem to think he is. I still think he is among the most likely characters to return.

- I don't think the presence of Namco Assists helps Pac-man's chance, nor do they hinder him.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
A bit off-topic, but why don't people care for Rock Smash? Never been much of a PT/Charizard player.

- I may or may not have said this before, but I don't want Stage Builder back. I feel like the time and effort that goes into that could be better used on (among other things, likely) making new, properly-Nintendo (or Namco, or Sega, or Capcom) stages as opposed to letting people play around with generic bits.

- Part of me hopes that the Nintendo figures end up being DLC, but part of me just wants - if we get any DLC - for it to be digital with a season pass, just so I don't have to hunt down figures (and find places to store them).

mimgrim

Smash Hero
-People didn't like Charizard's Rock Smash?? Why NOT??
A bit off-topic, but why don't people care for Rock Smash? Never been much of a PT/Charizard player.
It has nothing to do with how the move works.

But rather that it Rock Smash is something that doesn't make sense on Charizard, or rather it's not something you would relate it to. At least. That's what I hear the most. :L

D

Deleted member 245254

I absolutely love Final Destination, and I was mega-hyped by Sakurai crafting a "FD version" of every single Nintendo locale within the game to be used within For Glory where only FD stages will be used.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The game's other features are almost as or more important than the actual gameplay itself.

I dislike the move because it's a little too goofy for Charizard. He just pulls a rock from hammerspace and cracks his own head on it... it hardly looks like a practical way to attack someone else. Charizard is supposed to be a cool, fiery dragon; not a slapstick birthday clown who inflicts stooge violence on himself.

And in the Pokémon games, Rock Smash is a Fighting-type move, not a Rock-type move, so it actually refers to a rock-shattering punch rather than slamming a rock on yourself or others. (I could be wrong about that last part though since I always have the battle animations turned off.) Its depiction in Smash Bros. looks like a misunderstanding.

A move I would have recommended in its stead is Submission, which, in the cartoon, has been presented as grabbing an enemy in the air and slamming them to the ground, though that would have been a lot like Bowser's Flying Slam.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
So I guess it's unpopular to really like Rock Smash? SSB is supposed to be comedic, and Smash is known for taking moves out of context. Personally, I think people take the games way too seriously, in every sense word.

So I guess it's unpopular to really like Rock Smash? SSB is supposed to be comedic, and Smash is known for taking moves out of context. Personally, I think people take the games way too seriously, in every sense word.
There's nothing wrong with silly moves if it suits the character, like Diddy's banana peel littering, or Villager's bowling ball drop. But Charizard hitting his own head on a rock is tantamount to Ganondorf having a special move where he pies his foe in the face. It's just dissonant with the character... and Rock Smash is hardly a move that comes to mind for Charizard, anyway, since it's a TM that so many others learn.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People post regular opinions more than they post unpopular ones here. That or they think because they think it, it's "unpopular."
To be fair, sometimes it's hard to tell with some these days. At some points, I think Chrom is a very unpopular pick when I constantly here how boring he is. Vocal Minorities are weird, no?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I still say Hector is the best non-Awakening rep to use, due to his Axe. And yes, I think FE is better off with a character with a different weapon than a sword than anyone else.
No more sword FE users, period. Unique weapon or GTFO. That's how I view it. I think Marth and Ike are good enough on their own and we just need a new weapon user to make FE way more interesting. We have Lords without a sword too. Why not use that?
Because Hector was only a Lord in a campaign that is basically the "hardmode" variant of Eliwood's that is only playable after beating Eliwood's story?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Because Hector was only a Lord in a campaign that is basically the "hardmode" variant of Eliwood's that is only playable after beating Eliwood's story?
I yet to see how he isn't a Lord or a non-sword user. Kind of the criteria I said, isn't it?

I really don't have a single reason to care about those details. I still consider him one of the best Lord choices due to his uniqueness. There's others, like magic users, lancers, dragon riders(Is that the right term? I barely play FE, but I do know some characters)... we don't need yet another sword user. At this point, the sword type means little, it's just yet another sword when FE is more than that as is. Why shouldn't we show off what made it great, the multiple fighting styles.(and not just sword styles)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
People post regular opinions more than they post unpopular ones here. That or they think because they think it, it's "unpopular."

Well. With how much ******** and moaning I saw from people complaining Rock Smash came back, I thought it was unpopular. Apparently not though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom