• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's destroying the purpose of Miis themselves, they're supposed to be you.
Sakurai said otherwise. No custom costumes. They're likely, if in, to be preset costumes at best.

And that was the same purpose as Link too. Has a preset overall design, tunic and all. It hardly destroys it, since in reality, there's more to the Mii than just that. A major reason to add them is their moveset potential, which(and notably they don't need custom moves to do that, which might just be B moves only) goes beyond most characters. They're kind of like Villager in a similar way, taking moves from their various games appearances, and using them. Or Mr. Game & Watch, a more straight example of the playstyle some expect. Never mind a pure sports moveset is yet another.

...They got more than "costumes" going for them. That's why I want them, moveset potential.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
When I first joined these foruns, I expected to be a lot more competitive discussion (gameplay, balance) than what I see now (characters, soundtrack).
Characters & Soundtrack > Everything else
ESPECIALLY SOUNDTRACK.
Does that count as unpopular?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well there isn't much to discuss competitively if the competitive players can't even touch the game.

Things will transition quite quickly over the next few months. New sections of the site will be opened. Etc etc.

N0ble1

Smash Rookie
Tiki was my most wanted FE newcomer followed by Tharja.

I'd be happy if either one of them got representation as an Assist Trophy though.

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
That's destroying the purpose of Miis themselves, they're supposed to be you.
yes i know that is the overwhelming majority opinion but if you think about it, smash is about playing as your favorite video game characters, not as yourself. i know it sounds dumb and redundant at first but if you think about it, it does make sense

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yes i know that is the overwhelming majority opinion but if you think about it, smash is about playing as your favorite video game characters, not as yourself. i know it sounds dumb and redundant at first but if you think about it, it does make sense
Although Sakurai thinks concepts are important too. Villager and Pokemon Trainer are completely generic characters, and aren't "real people" so to speak. They're you, literally. They also had reasons for being in there. Villager was to show off his ability to use various items he picks up. Pokemon Trainer was solely there to show what it's like to command 3 Pokemon at once while directly playing as the Pokemon instead of the Trainer. It's more or less why he made him generic instead of basing him directly off of Red(besides the design, blatantly being his). He chose 2 of the most popular Pokemon(Charizard popular everywhere, Squirtle due to the anime's extremely popopularity with it, and Ivysaur as an afterthought.) I think that Mii itself would be used more as a "I can make it do any move I want, so let's have fun" character for its main moveset instead.

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
Although Sakurai thinks concepts are important too. Villager and Pokemon Trainer are completely generic characters, and aren't "real people" so to speak. They're you, literally. They also had reasons for being in there. Villager was to show off his ability to use various items he picks up. Pokemon Trainer was solely there to show what it's like to command 3 Pokemon at once while directly playing as the Pokemon instead of the Trainer. It's more or less why he made him generic instead of basing him directly off of Red(besides the design, blatantly being his). He chose 2 of the most popular Pokemon(Charizard popular everywhere, Squirtle due to the anime's extremely popopularity with it, and Ivysaur as an afterthought.) I think that Mii itself would be used more as a "I can make it do any move I want, so let's have fun" character for its main moveset instead.
well its more or less that they don't look like you, not that they represented you. there are tons of characters like this throughout video games, but the mii is like your gamertag, it is suppose to be you. pokemon trainer and the villager are you in that respective game, while the mii is kind of like your profile which represents you, which if put in smash, especially with other character's movesets, it would take away from the playability of the video game characters

Morbi

Scavenger
What if my favorite video game character is Mii?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
well its more or less that they don't look like you, not that they represented you. there are tons of characters like this throughout video games, but the mii is like your gamertag, it is suppose to be you. pokemon trainer and the villager are you in that respective game, while the mii is kind of like your profile which represents you, which if put in smash, especially with other character's movesets, it would take away from the playability of the video game characters
Mii wouldn't just be a customizable character. Everybody is already. The fear is unwarranted. It's just going to be a guy with a unique moveset if it's in. They won't be you because costumes aren't customizable either. Keep in mind, this is using evidence of what Sakurai has shown already.

It's not impossible he could be a pure custom character with your own skins at all and having any move choice. I just doubt it due to the evidence that suggests otherwise, that's all.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what the consensus is here yet, but at a different site I go to, a lot of people don't like the fact that they're trying to add more women into the roster. :(

However, I am down for more ladies joining the fray. Especially since there are so many interesting ones with awesome moveset potential. I hope this game brings more than 3 or 4.

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Mii wouldn't just be a customizable character. Everybody is already. The fear is unwarranted. It's just going to be a guy with a unique moveset if it's in. They won't be you because costumes aren't customizable either. Keep in mind, this is using evidence of what Sakurai has shown already.

It's not impossible he could be a pure custom character with your own skins at all and having any move choice. I just doubt it due to the evidence that suggests otherwise, that's all.
idc if he is in, just make him a unique character with his own unique moveset and make him fun and im fine, i just dont want to be able to play as myself and use any characters moveset which would be completely redundant and way less fun

I'm not sure what the consensus is here yet, but at a different site I go to, a lot of people don't like the fact that they're trying to add more women into the roster. :(

However, I am down for more ladies joining the fray. Especially since there are so many interesting ones with awesome moveset potential. I hope this game brings more than 3 or 4.
i have no problem with female characters. i love playing a peach/sheik and many people play as zelda/samus/ZSS. Rosalina looks cool and technical as hell and Wii Fit Trainer is ****ing hilarious! i have no problem with them as long as they're fun, competitive and kick ass. i mean look at sheik and ZSS, they're top-tier beasts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
idc if he is in, just make him a unique character with his own unique moveset and make him fun and im fine, i just dont want to be able to play as myself and use any characters moveset which would be completely redundant and way less fun
Fair enough.

To each their own. I actually like that idea, but I get what you mean. My only issues with Mii's is the online costumes(where we see dumb things like Hitler Mii's) and that's it. I'm good regardless with what they do otherwise.

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough.

To each their own. I actually like that idea, but I get what you mean. My only issues with Mii's is the online costumes(where we see dumb things like Hitler Mii's) and that's it. I'm good regardless with what they do otherwise.
lol i didnt know that was a thing. i bet if they allow for custom mii's it will be for only local and not for online then.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
lol i didnt know that was a thing. i bet if they allow for custom mii's it will be for only local and not for online then.
Yeah. Somebody went and bragged about a Stalin Mii on a different forum. :glare: When he wouldn't stop, well, got a temporary ban for pulling that crap. It wasn't funny, move on after people say that, that's all, you know?

Anyway, agreed. It'll discourage people only playing Mii online as well, since they're forced to use actual costumes within the game.

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Somebody went and bragged about a Stalin Mii on a different forum. :glare: When he wouldn't stop, well, got a temporary ban for pulling that crap. It wasn't funny, move on after people say that, that's all, you know?

Anyway, agreed. It'll discourage people only playing Mii online as well, since they're forced to use actual costumes within the game.
lets just hope that if a mii even makes it in, someone like Palutena or Takamaru or even Chrom doesn't get left out. that would be a little sad.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
lets just hope that if a mii even makes it in, someone like Palutena or Takamaru or even Chrom doesn't get left out. that would be a little sad.
I only like Takamaru of those 3 choices. :awesome:

But I'm not worried about having a great roster. Mii is a well known thing and are still characters in general. Well, generic ones, and having those types playable anyway make them easy to believe. Of course, if they aren't in, fair enough.

Miss Fit

Smash Rookie
I think Pac-Man is a horrible character. I hate Pac Man, I hate him so much and I don't want him in Smash Bros at all. He is not interesting in the slightest and will never be interesting no matter what. Despite how hard Namco tries to make him relevant he should have died along with the arcades. He has always been a yellow circle to me and my perception will never change. And unfortunately for me its probably going to become a reality since there is a Galaga assist and a flag item. uhhhhgggg

Last edited:

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
I only like Takamaru of those 3 choices. :awesome:

But I'm not worried about having a great roster. Mii is a well known thing and are still characters in general. Well, generic ones, and having those types playable anyway make them easy to believe. Of course, if they aren't in, fair enough.
ya i guess you do need those kinds of characters to cater to younger gamers and new players of the smash games. if youre playing a game and know none of the characters its less fun. but then again, when i played melee when i was 5 i didnt know jack **** about the characters besides mario characters and Zelda characters, but things have changed.

I think Pac-Man is a horrible character. I hate Pac Man, I hate him so much and I don't want him in Smash Bros at all. He is not interesting in the slightest and will never be interesting no matter what. Despite how hard Namco tries to make him relevant he should have died along with the arcades. He has always been a yellow circle to me and my perception will never change. And unfortunately for me its probably going to become a reality since there is a Galaga assist and a flag item. uhhhhgggg
i think if done correctly Pac-Man could be a cool character. with the likes of Megaman, Mario and Sonic, it could be a really cool showdown to add Pac-Man in as well. with Namco helping to design the game, its hard to imagine a Namco character besides Pac-Man that fits into smash

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i think if done correctly Pac-Man could be a cool character. with the likes of Megaman, Mario and Sonic, it could be a really cool showdown to add Pac-Man in as well. with Namco helping to design the game, its hard to imagine a Namco character besides Pac-Man that fits into smash
Lloyd Irving, man. Never mind Cress, Klonoa, Nightmare(he's hammy enough and they could easily tone his lines, as he also has a unique heavy sword style nobody uses), Bandai has Digimon, who fit wonderfully too.(it's Bandai-Namco working on it, not just Namco) That's just some video game guys, and all could easily fit enough. Giga Bowser, Master Hand(after 64), and Crazy Hand are surprisingly dark compared to most, so... I'd say way darker than Snake, who comes from a Mature game.

Also, Pac-Man is just an arcade legend. He has nothing to really do with Console/Handheld gaming besides a ton of ports and a few games that were poorly received. He's no paragon of gaming as a whole, just the arcade guy.

To also note, seeing Namco items does not mean Pac-Man is in the game, it just means because they are making the game, they got to put in items. That's really the extent of it. For all we know, Pac-Man is an item summoned from the Special Flag instead.(it is possible a different Pac-Man could be playable even then, of course. Toon Link shows being a PC and some kind of non-player character is possible as is) I even could say DLC of a Pokeball Pokemon is possible too. When they're on the field, that Pokeball version doesn't show up at all.

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
Lloyd Irving, man. Never mind Cress, Klonoa, Nightmare(he's hammy enough and they could easily tone his lines, as he also has a unique heavy sword style nobody uses), Bandai has Digimon, who fit wonderfully too.(it's Bandai-Namco working on it, not just Namco) That's just some video game guys, and all could easily fit enough. Giga Bowser, Master Hand(after 64), and Crazy Hand are surprisingly dark compared to most, so... I'd say way darker than Snake, who comes from a Mature game.

Also, Pac-Man is just an arcade legend. He has nothing to really do with Console/Handheld gaming besides a ton of ports and a few games that were poorly received. He's no paragon of gaming as a whole, just the arcade guy.

To also note, seeing Namco items does not mean Pac-Man is in the game, it just means because they are making the game, they got to put in items. That's really the extent of it. For all we know, Pac-Man is an item summoned from the Special Flag instead.(it is possible a different Pac-Man could be playable even then, of course. Toon Link shows being a PC and some kind of non-player character is possible as is) I even could say DLC of a Pokeball Pokemon is possible too. When they're on the field, that Pokeball version doesn't show up at all.
Lloyd could also be a good character. if they get 1 rep, its definitely between Pac-Man and Lloyd. Lloyd is the fighter type and more recent character but Pac-Man is what made Namco. i guess we will have to wait and see. both in would be tight as hell though, as Lloyd is one of my favorite chars in SSF2

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Lloyd could also be a good character. if they get 1 rep, its definitely between Pac-Man and Lloyd. Lloyd is the fighter type and more recent character but Pac-Man is what made Namco. i guess we will have to wait and see. both in would be tight as hell though, as Lloyd is one of my favorite chars in SSF2
You're missing that it's Bandai-Namco, not just Namco. People put more stock in Pac-Man, despite not being important to Nintendo or console/handheld gaming at all. Meanwhile, Lloyd was in Tales of Symphonia, a widely popular game that really set the stage for some great games on Nintendo. And one mediocre sequel on the Wii.

That said, I think it's really among Agumon(Bandai), Pac-Man, and Llloyd for the most part. All 3 are beyond viable and notable characters. Agumon has tons of Nintendo appearances and even more exclusives than Pac-Man did. And that's even including the Mario Kart appearances.

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
You're missing that it's Bandai-Namco, not just Namco. People put more stock in Pac-Man, despite not being important to Nintendo or console/handheld gaming at all. Meanwhile, Lloyd was in Tales of Symphonia, a widely popular game that really set the stage for some great games on Nintendo. And one mediocre sequel on the Wii.

That said, I think it's really among Agumon(Bandai), Pac-Man, and Llloyd for the most part. All 3 are beyond viable and notable characters. Agumon has tons of Nintendo appearances and even more exclusives than Pac-Man did. And that's even including the Mario Kart appearances.
i know that its Bandai-Namco i just dont see a Bandai character like Agumon making it in over any Namco characters, especially Lloyd or Pac-Man. Agumon does have a lot of nintendo appearances but in my opinion that does not get you above their status' just yet. out of the 3, Agumon probably has the lowest possibility of the 3.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i know that its Bandai-Namco i just dont see a Bandai character like Agumon making it in over any Namco characters, especially Lloyd or Pac-Man. Agumon does have a lot of nintendo appearances but in my opinion that does not get you above their status' just yet. out of the 3, Agumon probably has the lowest possibility of the 3.
Well, he also is the only one to originate outside of the arcade or console, or a regular handheld, which is neat. He also has something they don't have, the ability to do a Digimon VS Pokemon thing, an old classic.

Either way, the Bandai part may even get references too. I know Sakurai doesn't mind looking outside video games for references, like using the Anime Misty trophy instead of the game one in Melee. Albeit, the character does exist in games too. I could see that stuff for Assists. Like referencing a live action show by putting a character in. I.E. a Power Ranger. I of course doubt it, but it's not like it wouldn't work for fun. They've already shown up in many Nintendo games too, so it's not unfounded.

Another thing to keep in mind is that he outright said he won't give Bandai-Namco any special consideration for a playable character. Items, yes, playable, no. We may get no one, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Last edited:

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
Lloyd is far more likely then Pacman. tales has been on fire in the sales and there is another Tales for the Wii U in the pipeline. The People at nintendo may of stumbled with the Wii U but they are still excellent capitalist.

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
Well, he also is the only one to originate outside of the arcade or console, or a regular handheld, which is neat. He also has something they don't have, the ability to do a Digimon VS Pokemon thing, an old classic.

Either way, the Bandai part may even get references too. I know Sakurai doesn't mind looking outside video games for references, like using the Anime Misty trophy instead of the game one in Melee. Albeit, the character does exist in games too. I could see that stuff for Assists. Like referencing a live action show by putting a character in. I.E. a Power Ranger. I of course doubt it, but it's not like it wouldn't work for fun. They've already shown up in many Nintendo games too, so it's not unfounded.

Another thing to keep in mind is that he outright said he won't give Bandai-Namco any special consideration for a playable character. Items, yes, playable, no. We may get no one, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
i really never played digimon but it would be a cool idea to implement, like the pokeballs on one hand, and whatever summons Digimon on the other(i really dont know sry), but that seems like a stretch. maybe an assist trophy for digimon if were lucky. on the other subject, Sakurai is definitely going to have some kind of deal with Bandai-Namco. i mean theyre helping make the game for christ sake, he cant allow for 1 character? as long as its not too far-fetched, they are probably going to be allowed for at least 1, though i could be wrong

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i really never played digimon but it would be a cool idea to implement, like the pokeballs on one hand, and whatever summons Digimon on the other(i really dont know sry), but that seems like a stretch. maybe an assist trophy for digimon if were lucky. on the other subject, Sakurai is definitely going to have some kind of deal with Bandai-Namco. i mean theyre helping make the game for christ sake, he cant allow for 1 character? as long as its not too far-fetched, they are probably going to be allowed for at least 1, though i could be wrong
It's not a matter of cannot allow. He outright said he's not giving them special consideration. They're just among the regular list of 3rd parties to him for playable guys. They're still 3rd party overall, so he can't automatically just give them a character. They're of course possible, that's all.

Anyway, they don't have summoning tools till the 6th Season, called a Xros Loader/Fusion Loader. I doubt it'll get referenced.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
None of the 12 originals should be cut

Snake and Sonic were fantastic additions to brawl, but have no business being reoccurring characters

Much like Lucario replaced Mewtwo, Greninja should have replaced Lucario

I love the Mother series, and have nothing against Lucas, but there was no reason to add another representative for such an obscure title

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
If the Gematsu leak + Rosalina is all we get for newcomers, and anything more than Squritle, Ivysaur, and MAYBE Snake are cut, the roster is ****. Case closed.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Dude, the Pac-Man World games were awesome. They were generally well-received, too. FYI I don't really want Pac-Man, but hes not just "an arcade guy."

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dude, the Pac-Man World games were awesome. They were generally well-received, too. FYI I don't really want Pac-Man, but hes not just "an arcade guy."
No, that's his legendary status. What made him a legend was his mark on the arcade systems.

He didn't make any real mark on the Consoles. He had fun games, but they were not anywhere near ground-breaking or super memorable. That's overstating his actual notability. He's remembered for being the guy who is a yellow ball that could eat thing. Not for having arms, legs, or whatever. That's not what made him a legend.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
No, that's his legendary status. What made him a legend was his mark on the arcade systems.

He didn't make any real mark on the Consoles. He had fun games, but they were not anywhere near ground-breaking or super memorable. That's overstating his actual notability. He's remembered for being the guy who is a yellow ball that could eat thing. Not for having arms, legs, or whatever. That's not what made him a legend.
Exactly. He's remembered as just a hockey puck that eats balls and runs from ghosts. His games are one of those few that don't translate well to 3D. Hence why a majority of his console games that didn't stay true to the tried and true Pacman formula were flops. (Of course, there were a few exceptions.) And I LOVE Pacman, just not his weird look with the arms and legs.

And on that note, I think Pacman would be a horrible addition to the Smash roster. (Street Fighter X Tekken basically proves why Pacman has little to no fighting game potential. His inclusion in that game was such fail.) I'd much rather have a Namco character that ACTUALLY has fighting potential. Like Lloyd Irving or even a Soul Calibur character. Hell, even a Digimon would be better than Pacman.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I actually want Medusa more than Palutena but I know that's laughable at this point. Given how Palutena's popularity has shot up since January, I think this gives strong evidence that a lot of people are only siding with the character because she seems like a sure bet at this point. Also, I'm pretty sure the chances of a second Kid Icarus character would be virtually nonexistent if Sakurai wasn't directing this game and, in the grand scheme of things, that's the biggest thing that is helping Palutena's chances. She's a great character and I think she'll make a fine addition to Smash but there's really no denying that she's practically a lock because she's "daddy's little princess."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom