• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If Ridley and Wonder Red are newcomers, and none of the vets I adore are cut, I'm absolutely on that train.
I...can't believe I'm saying this...but..eeh...
Even if Ridley's not on the game as a playable character...I...I still think Smash:
TEN OUTTA TEN, HUNDRED OUTTA HUNDRED, BEST GAME, BEST GAME.
But if he does turn out to be playable, then 300% out of 100%
I mean, even after Ivysaur was cut, this game stills seems the best Smash so far.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
---> I dislike the fact that Marth became (and Smash helps it) the "Fire Emblem iconic character". While his gameplay is really nice , I don't like him at all and probably should prefer playing with his floating sword. About Smash4, Lucina should take over him and HE turned in a alternative-costume.
(What is kind of weird because my favorite Melee-player to watch is M2k Marth).

---> I want Lucas out. Nothing new, and Ness is cooler.

---> I don't expected Greninja as a solo-character ... I hope he plays nice.

--> If Zelda wins a newcomer, it's Ghiraihim. Sorry, it's happening.

---> In any possible way I wanted this game to be Melee-like. I really enjoy Mario grabbing the edge of the back while the most people hated it.

---> Donkey Kong Country WAS huge. In the past , DK was not a smaller franchise than Zelda. And nowadays it still sells good , "It's on like Donkey Kong".
I can't understand people who dislike K.Rool as a Smash character...i just can't. Dixie is my favorite but K.Rool could be a unique/perfect new concept.

---> Nothing makes me happier as a disconfirmation than RIdley. He just don't fits in... I'm going to extreme of saying that... I don't know why...but Travis Touchdown could work better (and he is impossible).
--------------
Don't hate me :( Let's hate Marth :(

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Double Posting Warning Received
Not sure how many people want miis, but I'm sure its pretty "unpopular" of me to say that Miis would be the stupidest character inclusion ever.
---> I want Lucas out. Nothing new, and Ness is cooler.
---> I don't expected Greninja as a solo-character ... I hope he plays nice.
---> Donkey Kong Country WAS huge. In the past , DK was not a smaller franchise than Zelda. And nowadays it still sells good , "It's on like Donkey Kong".
I can't understand people who dislike K.Rool as a Smash character...i just can't. Dixie is my favorite but K.Rool could be a unique/perfect new concept.
1. I can't agree more.
2. What do you mean by solo character?
3. YES! I want some other Donkey Kong character! I feel like its not happening, but I want K. Rool.

Also, I have this place deep within my heart that wishes Pokemon trainer were still in.

Or at least Ivysaur/Squirtle instead of Charizard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
-People whose best argument against Ridley's inclusion is the scene in the Direct are very lacking in the analytical department.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I expected that Greninja could appear in a Pokemon-trainer style (from X/ Y).
I don't dislike having a slot for three-Pokemon , and is a interesting concept from "Pokemon games" change them.
But "working more in each individual character" is not something a competitive player should be mad about, so o.k....

And Ridley can still make it. I know it, deep in my mind.

Last edited:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I think the only characters cut from brawl will be ivysaur, squirtle, lucas, snake, ROB and ike. I think the genmatsu leak is real but they missed rosalina and king k. rool and the roster will have 46 characters in all. I think it will end up being only slightly better then brawl. I think Krystal will be sadly left out.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
---> Nothing makes me happier as a disconfirmation than RIdley. He just don't fits in... I'm going to extreme of saying that... I don't know why...but Travis Touchdown could work better (and he is impossible).
I'll never understand the pleasure people feel when extremely-wanted characters don't make it. I mean, does it really do any harm to have an awesome space dragon on the game...even if you're not a Metroid fan? I've always seen it as kinda sick, those people who go around saying that they 'love tears' and stuff like that, I mean, you're not exactly coming off as one of those, but you do realize that Ridley making it into the game could make it or break it for a lot of people, right? Metroid might not be the biggest-selling franchise, but we Metroid fans REALLY love our Metroid, I mean, how would you feel if your favorite franchise's representation consisted of the same person with different outfits (OK, maybe Metroid's second to Mario with my favorite franchises, but even poor Mario suffered from that horrible situation with Dr. Mario).

I mean, I don't care for Pac-Man, Roy, Pichu, Anna, Impa, Ghirahim, Toad, Lip...but that doesn't mean their deconfirmation makes me happy...well, maybe Pichu and Roy, but that's because they''re trimmed fat from Melee.

I don't know if this counts as unpopular, but...
- If Snake doesn't come back, the only character that would make up for his removal would be Simon Friggin' Belmont, no one else could fill Snake's shoes from Konami, although with what Konami has done to Castlevania...

Also...
- The only must-have characters for Smash4 are Ridley and K.Rool, two memorable, epic villains from memorable, epic franchises that have got the short end of the stick for far too long. The thought of having Greninja but not Ridley or K.Rool just makes my stomach turn.

There is no logical reason to cut ROB other than "well I don't like him."
I'm still trying to figure out how someone can not love the concept of ROB.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'm a Metroid fan who prefers Ridley being a boss character. I just always viewed him as a threatening boss character who doesn't easily flinch from attacks such as missiles and charged beams, so it would disappoint me if he could easily be knocked back by such attacks just to keep the game balanced. Also, I would dislike Ridley not having the ability to stay completely airborne just as how Charizard being limited to three short jumps disappointed me in Brawl. That's just my opinion though. With that said, I wouldn't completely hate it if he were made playable, and I'm sure I'd get over it.

I would also be happy if Pichu were to somehow return because I like using joke characters like him against my friends, and I didn't mind the fact that he damaged himself with some attacks. With that said, I don't actually think he will return since he seemed like filler for Melee.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm a Metroid fan who prefers Ridley being a boss character. I just always viewed him as a threatening boss character who doesn't easily flinch from attacks such as missiles and charged beams, so it would disappoint me if he could easily be knocked back by such attacks just to keep the game balanced. Also, I would dislike Ridley not having the ability to stay completely airborne just as how Charizard being limited to three short jumps disappointed me in Brawl. That's just my opinion though. With that said, I wouldn't completely hate it if he were made playable, and I'm sure I'd get over it.

I would also be happy if Pichu were to somehow return because I like using joke characters like him against my friends, and I didn't mind the fact that he damaged himself with some attacks. With that said, I don't actually think he will return since he seemed like filler for Melee.
:/ Metroid fans who prefer Ridley being a boss character...those are far and in-between. And Ridley could easily have Super Armor for some attacks and no super armor for other attacks, just like on the actual Metroid games, as a Metroid fan, you should understand that a boss role feels demeaning for such an important character, almost an insult. I really don't get the threatening argument...Ganondorf and Bowser can still flinch, that doesn't make them seem less threatening because their movesets are brutal and have a ruthless feeling to them.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
:/ Metroid fans who prefer Ridley being a boss character...those are far and in-between. And Ridley could easily have Super Armor for some attacks and no super armor for other attacks, just like on the actual Metroid games, as a Metroid fan, you should understand that a boss role feels demeaning for such an important character, almost an insult. I really don't get the threatening argument...Ganondorf and Bowser can still flinch, that doesn't make them seem less threatening because their movesets are brutal and have a ruthless feeling to them.
Yeah, I could say that Ganondorf should only be defeated my Light Arrows and the Master Sword, but I didn't feel like getting into that. Bowser never really seemed particularly threatening to me considering he's been in plenty of party and sports games or Mario Kart. I guess my point is I'm one of the few Metroid fans who prefers Ridley being a boss because I don't really want to see him grounded and balanced to seem less threatening in my eyes. I didn't feel like making a case for Ganondorf because I haven't really played a Zelda game that he's in...

Edit: Note, I'm not saying my thoughts would be valid arguments. I don't think they are valid arguments, but those are just my opinions.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
:/ Metroid fans who prefer Ridley being a boss character...those are far and in-between.
No they're not. In fact most communities for Metroid specifically (like Metroid Database) all think the idea of playable Ridley is laughable.

Regardless, I've consistently pointed out in this thread that as much as it sucks, some people just don't share the same opinions. It's not smart to try an debate/"convince them otherwise" when the entire point of the thread is to be a haven where people can speak their mind without fear of starting flame wars.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I really admire you. You will defend Ridley with your last breath, and I really want him in just so all your dreams of slamming people against walls (instead of just eating them, which I never understood why Ridley didn't just eat Samus or rip her head off, IDK) can come true.

Unpopular opinion: Zelda should be top tier. There I said it.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
MewtwoMaster2002 said everything I think about Ridley inclusion...

I don't like his " disconfirmation " just because thousand of fans could be disappointed, it's because I just don't see him as a playable character.
Imagine fighting 1 x 1 , Villager x Ridley ?Killing him with something like turnips....
Don't feel nice to me, maybe some of us think he is just too badass to fight normally (not with the "BOSS" status) against the roster.
And more , isn't this the unpopular smash4 opnions ? Why being mad with someone that don't support a mega-wanted character ?
You can not understand (like I don't understand people who don't want K.Rool) but don't come with all this criticism.

The unique disconfirmation that really makes me laugh with some malicious was Waluigi.
And it happens because Sakurai was hilarious and mean.

And one more unpopular opnion :

---> I would not mind MK being top tier again.I
I don't want any character stronger than anyone like MK was in Brawl, but if he is the best in general, o.k to me.
MK is more stylish than Fox anyway., he looks like someone to respect.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I really admire you. You will defend Ridley with your last breath, and I really want him in just so all your dreams of slamming people against walls (instead of just eating them, which I never understood why Ridley didn't just eat Samus or rip her head off, IDK) can come true.

Unpopular opinion: Zelda should be top tier. There I said it.
Dreams of command grabs *Manly tears*

And that's not unpopular, Zelda has teh' magic sweetspots.

Sakurai deconfirming Wonder Red after he made it clear that he was looking for unique newcomers seems kind of a double-standard.

Double Post, whoops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As it stands, I feel like Sakurai's logic is kind of flawed when it comes to this game.

I get that adding quirky or unexpected characters is part of the charm of Smash Bros., but of the newcomers that we have so far, I feel like only Mega Man and Little Mac really work as fighting game characters or major aspects of Nintendo's history (or the history of gaming as a whole, depending on how you look at third party characters). I know that Animal Crossing and Wii Fit are popular games, but having a random child(?) villager and a fitness trainer apparently taking priority over a massive amount of characters bugs me.

Rosalina's only really had three noteworthy appearances (Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2, and Mario 3D World - correct me if I'm wrong), with the second being a glorified cameo. Of those appearances, only the third gives something to work with, and it came out less than half a year ago, when Smash Bros. was well into development.

As for Greninja, it seems like an odd choice - most of the Pokemon characters have solid logic to go off of (widespread popularity at the time of the game's development, especially in the anime), but to my knowledge, Greninja hasn't even appeared in the anime (which is something that helped set Charizard apart from the other starters). Without that, Greninja is one of nineteen starters (more if you count all of the evolutions), and I can't really see what makes it take priority over the others. Someone inform me if there is a reason - I haven't followed Pokemon particularly closely since the third generation, though I've followed X and Y more closely than generations four or five.

Meanwhile, we're getting no Sin & Punishment characters, no Wonderful 101 characters, and (assuming Sakurai's not trolling about it, which is admittedly a dangerous assumption to make) no new Metroid characters, leaving the series represented by only a single person. All of these are series that are fairly action-oriented, which seems like they would translate well into a fighting game. I get that they're fairly niche series, but that isn't likely to change if the SSB developers don't take a chance to broaden their appeal, like Smash Bros. did with Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I really hate the idea of us getting two pokemon character newcomers, yet Mother, Star Fox, DK, and Metroid get shafted out of Masked Man, Krystal, K. Rool/Dixie, and Ridley along with many other series who have even less good representation than those four (Yoshi and Wario come to mind)

I also really hate that Dillon was dis-confirmed. That's my #1 dis-confirm gripe so far.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina should not be considered less worthy than other characters in the Mario franchise just because she has only had a major role in 2 games (Galaxy 1 and 3D World). Her role in Galaxy 1 was what made her popular, and it was what made her special. Her one appearance in Galaxy 1 made her much more respectable, dignified, and just flat-out interesting and layered than Daisy, Waluigi, Toad, and Bowser Jr (who could have been much more but they dropped the ball with him after Sunshine) could ever hope to have been in the array of games they've appeared in, and her personality, development, role, and backstory are some of the most innovative things the Mario franchise has had going for itself. The fact that she has become a mainstay of the series is irrelevant. Her one appearance in Galaxy 1 was always enough justification for her to be in Smash, and I've thought so since the Brawl days. And if you want to tell me I'm wrong, talk to the Palutena supporters, or supporters of any Kid Icarus character. Uprising is the reason anyone wants Palutena or any Kid Icarus character. Nobody was asking for Palutena or Medusa before Uprising, and Hades and Magnus only appeared in Uprising, yet people want those guys too. Also, talk to the Wonderful 101 fandom. It's a franchise with one game, yet a lot of people wanted to see a character from that in the game.

------------------------

This is tangentially related, but Rosalina's Smash appearance partly spawned this - where is this "Rosalina is Nintendo's Lightning" idea coming from?

For those of you who don't have a clue what I'm talking about, people seem to have this idea that "Lighting from FFXIII is in everything Square Enix makes". And due to Rosalina showing up in a few more games lately, people think she is "Nintendo's Lightning".

Firstly, Lightning has only had four note worthy appearances (the 3 FFXIII games, and Dissidia: 012. In FFXIII-2, she actually was only a supporting character. Her role and presence was about as significant as Rosalina's in Galaxy 2). Any appearance Lightning has outside of that has been as an EXTREMELY minor cameo, ones that most people aren't even aware of. Heck, some of these games are Japan-exclusive, and they all include cameos from every FF character under the sun anyway, so her presence is hardly special. Plus, Lightning is considered a significant role model in Japanese culture, so it makes sense that she is promoted in Japan anyway. Lightning's been heavily promoted there, but in terms of well known games, she's only had four. Most of her promotion has been in other media. And she's not the only character to get this treatment, all of the most popular FF characters do.

Rosalina is literally the exact opposite. She's become a mainstay of the Mario series, so she shows up in most games the other big mainstays do. And she's in Smash now. Outside of that? She's had little to no promotion. There are only 3 pieces of official Rosalina merchandise you can buy, as far as I'm aware (two of which I'm not 100% sure are official). She's been in this obscure Mario manga too, but only briefly. And her only note worthy roles are in the Galaxy games, 3D World, and in the future, Smash Bros. Every other title is just games that feature every other Mario character anyway.

While I can draw a lot of parallels between Lightning and Rosalina, I definitely don't see their promotion levels as equal at all, and Lightning is not really a shoehorned character to begin with, and Rosalina certainly is not.

At this point, I feel like people just need someone to blame for other characters not being in Mario games and Smash, and they rationalise that Rosalina prevented those characters from making it in, for whatever reason.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
All Smash music should have trumpets, glorious GBA-soundchip trumpets.

Meleefan

Smash Cadet
I don't necessarily agree with the notion concerning that there should be an abundance of 3rd party characters. I'd much rather prefer a character from a Nintendo IP, giving that character and the franchise a bit more exposure.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
If Snake doesn't come back, Andy from Advance Wars should be made a playable character with a moveset that resembles Snake's, but tweaked to fit Andy.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I think retro versions of a lot of songs would be really cool. But I don't think you want it to be like this.
I was merely making a joke about the return of Ruby and Sapphire, and their glorious GBA-soundchip trumpets.

mrsilver722

Smash Rookie
If he didn't intend for us to be able to play without items, it wouldn't be an option. He's well aware that everybody has a different idea of fun and supports both sides. FYI, fun is how you make it, not anything intended. I have fun on Battlefield battling without items. I have fun on Brinstar with items. Both work.

Fun is subjective. :awesome:
This is beautiful.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
- I feel that Robin is the best option for a FE Awakening Rep and that Chrom should not get in over him.

That is really the only thing I ever get yelled at over in the other Smash centric board I frequent lol.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
"Both sides"

See what I don't like is the fact that Smash is divided in two. It's either "party game for lolz" or "super serious competition!"

No, I believe in a gradient of competitiveness-to-party mayhem. There's ways you can play the game that can still have a touch of fair competition and still have items and crazy stages. You can also have a mostly competitive match with only Beam Swords on Low.

Really there's all sorts of ways you can play and interpret the competition. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? To me, Smash isn't black-and-white.

Last edited:

otter

Smash Ace
People who only talk about characters are really annoying / boring

Smash Bros. "Speculators " are incredibly annoying

Koopa Claw>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Flying Slam
For real. A command grab that has an attack for a whiff animation? That's pretty kooptacular.

But yeah that's why I am shocked when people want Ice Climbers or Jigglypuff cut.. Nobody likes those characters, that's not the point, they are both amazing character designs in terms of how they were adapted for Smash. Even a more "casual" player has to realize that the avatar they put over a moveset is only interesting for a short while, but an interesting moveset is timeless.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not sure if this is an unpopular but...

The items in Smash 4 have impressed me far more than any of the newcomers.
I'm looking forward to trying out the Bullet Bill or releasing Dillon for the first time ever far more than unlocking the characters at this point.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Not sure if this is an unpopular but...

The items in Smash 4 have impressed me far more than any of the newcomers.
I'm looking forward to trying out the Bullet Bill or releasing Dillon for the first time ever far more than unlocking the characters at this point.
Ahh...the joys of sometimes doing casual fights...

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
If Sakurai announces that Nintnedo's NFC figurine things are going unlock content in Smash besides alternate costumes, I might legitimately just not buy this game.

Somanygames

Smash Rookie
I could not give two ****s about what characters Nintendo chooses for Smash. I only care what they can do with them. People like Rosalina and Villager get me hyped because their movesets have amazing potential. IDC if Pewdiepie, someone's dead dog, and Cartman get in to Smash if their movesets break the boundaries we know as Smash

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Here's something interesting to talk about:
Customization affecting tier lists. Would it make them obsolete since it's an actual mechanic, or will it affect them in a different way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom