• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
Here's something interesting to talk about:
Customization affecting tier lists. Would it make them obsolete since it's an actual mechanic, or will it affect them in a different way?
It wont since no competitive scene will endorse using custom powers, and no one will make a scene for playing with customized characters. I think it would be fun to do some for fun online tournaments which i'll organize and even try to create a prize pool for after smash 4 is launched.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, I personally think we could use Cutsom Powers for the low-tier characters so that they could perform well in tournaments.
Think of it like this, if a certain character isn't doing well in MU, we could customize them with a set customization to best fit them and counter the higher tiers. I think the customization is meant to balance the cast out of each other. The customization is a gameplay mechanic that is different from items; the former can be used permanently in the games without causing too much mayhem, while the latter will surely do.

I'm truly wanting customization to actually be used; and like I said, we could set up a best customization for each lower-tier character to act against the higher tier. And also think of this, a lot of players, both competitive and casual, will be using customized moves for each and every character, so I don't see why it shouldn't be in tournaments.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Warning Received
I think Hwoarang and Baek are stupid to fight against in Tekken.

To make this Smash related, King would be a great character in Smash. We need more Mexican jaguar men.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
-People who view Ridley as a boss character should feel the same way about Bowser and Ganondorf, especially since they both have been lackluster 3 out of 4 combined times (and the 1 time with Ganondorf he was nowhere near as good or cool as Captain Falcon). Seriously guys, it's such a bad argument.

-Ganondorf and Luigi need to be entirely revamped, because currently they are just bad versions of Captain Falcon and Mario. Not having fast movement in wavedashing with either of them kills their unique playstyles in a lot of ways.

-I don't really care about Nintendo or another company. They're just a company. Therefore, people liking or hating the idea of 3rd party characters in theory in smash makes no sense to me.

-I doubt most people who post here even have played a Smash game, and I joke about that a lot to many people.

-Prog said it best "Smash is like a Reeces; it's great no matter how you play it."

-Anyone who hates on competitive play or casual play or whatever stupid label on smash players no matter how you play smash should get infractions right away.

It's gotten ridiculous here the hate anyone gets for saying they like Melee and Brawl. I say I don't like Brawl, but whenever someone says they like Brawl to me, I either don't respond or say "that's great" (that sounds sarcastic, but I mean it; do what you love smash brothers!). The fact people shoot down other people for liking another game to me is the dumbest thing, and there should be no room in the smash bros. community here or anywhere for that IMO.

-Gameplay is the most important thing, period. I don't know about you guys, but I play smash games instead of starring at them.

-Sakurai is overrated at directing, especially when he went full dictator mode in Brawl (Subspace Emissary, lol!!!). The other directors are generally underrated, and have had some awesome ideas that go uncredited.

-The idea of DLC characters, stages, items, game modes, trophies, stickers, songs, misc. stuff, etc. in smash 3DS and WiiU excites me, so long as it is fairly price.

-BASS.EXE SHOULD BE PLAYABLE (instead of Luigi)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Warning Received
Astro Boy is one of the most important Japanese pop culture character in history.

To make this Smash related, Astro Boy should be our first non-video game character in Smash. He's too important to be left out.

D

Deleted member

-People who view Ridley as a boss character should feel the same way about Bowser and Ganondorf, especially since they both have been lackluster 3 out of 4 combined times (and the 1 time with Ganondorf he was nowhere near as good or cool as Captain Falcon). Seriously guys, it's such a bad argument.

-Ganondorf and Luigi need to be entirely revamped, because currently they are just bad versions of Captain Falcon and Mario. Not having fast movement in wavedashing with either of them kills their unique playstyles in a lot of ways.

-I don't really care about Nintendo or another company. They're just a company. Therefore, people liking or hating the idea of 3rd party characters in theory in smash makes no sense to me.

-I doubt most people who post here even have played a Smash game, and I joke about that a lot to many people.

-Prog said it best "Smash is like a Reeces; it's great no matter how you play it."

-Anyone who hates on competitive play or casual play or whatever stupid label on smash players no matter how you play smash should get infractions right away.

It's gotten ridiculous here the hate anyone gets for saying they like Melee and Brawl. I say I don't like Brawl, but whenever someone says they like Brawl to me, I either don't respond or say "that's great" (that sounds sarcastic, but I mean it; do what you love smash brothers!). The fact people shoot down other people for liking another game to me is the dumbest thing, and there should be no room in the smash bros. community here or anywhere for that IMO.

-Gameplay is the most important thing, period. I don't know about you guys, but I play smash games instead of starring at them.

-Sakurai is overrated at directing, especially when he went full dictator mode in Brawl (Subspace Emissary, lol!!!). The other directors are generally underrated, and have had some awesome ideas that go uncredited.

-The idea of DLC characters, stages, items, game modes, trophies, stickers, songs, misc. stuff, etc. in smash 3DS and WiiU excites me, so long as it is fairly price.

Everything in this post.
EVERYTHING.
WILL YOU MARRY ME?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The King of Red Lions shouldn't be a stage hazard on Pirate Ship, he should be a playable character.

Boats are severely unrepresented in smash's playable character roster.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Boss battle mode in Brawl is the best.
SSE being gone makes me sad.
R.O.B. and Pit are the best characters in Brawl.
I loved tripping, I want it back for Smash 4.
We need to increase the stalemove negation.
We should include Keeby and Dark Pit.
Faust should be our WTF character because he's literally WTF.
Roy > Marth.
Snake is too scary he doesn't fit in.
I ship Kid Icarus and Metroid.
Third parties are the worst ideas ever in Super Smash Bros.
Mewtwo shouldn't comeback.
Saria should be included.
We should have more giant stages like New Pork City.
Catering to competitive play is HORRIBLE!
Shulk-kun should be included so we can make huge gay orgies between him and Bowser. <3<3
Ness and Lucas should be scrapped because thethirdkoopa is too strong with them.
My favorite cheese is smoked gouda.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Linebeck needs to be in with Navi.

Also all the Star Fox characters should be cut because I keep playing as the new newcomer every game. First Fox, then Falco with Melee, then Wolf with Brawl, and now Krystal with Smash 4?! Where will it end?! Random enemy ship 247?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The King of Red Lions shouldn't be a stage hazard on Pirate Ship, he should be a playable character.

Boats are severely unrepresented in smash's playable character roster.
Don't rock the boat -rock the boat baby- :awesome:

But seriously for a moment;

-Ridley is not really interesting as a boss. They didn't bother to give him most of his own stuff, just making him a lame Kirby boss clone. Same with Meta Ridley.
-Krystal is the only interesting StarFox character left.
-Falco is a lame clone that added nothing gameplay-wise of note to Smash. SSE doesn't matter in this regard.
-Previous clones should be somewhat changed up, but I believe they should still keep part of their earlier moveset to not make the previous players of that character feel alienated. I feel more comfortable playing a character if they're similar to their past self. More originality is nice, though, but change it slowly.
-I like every version of Link except Brawl Adult Link. The rest were very fun to play as as is.
-Masked Link(Young Link from Majora's Mask with Mask options) would've been a really unique character. If transformations weren't gone.
-If RosalinaX's leak is true, I think the most likely cuts are Squirtle, Ivysaur, Ike, and Snake. Nobody else has any real decent chance to leave at all.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Linebeck needs to be in with Navi.

Also all the Star Fox characters should be cut because I keep playing as the new newcomer every game. First Fox, then Falco with Melee, then Wolf with Brawl, and now Krystal with Smash 4?! Where will it end?! Random enemy ship 247?
RANDOM SHIP 247 IS BEST WAIFU SHUT UP.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
D

Deleted member

Do people not realize how DESERVING Happy Mask Salesman is?

Forget about unimportant characters like King K. Rool, Happy Mask Salesman's exclusion until now is a disgrace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Do people not realize how DESERVING Happy Mask Salesman is?

Forget about unimportant characters like King K. Rool, Happy Mask Salesman's exclusion until now is a disgrace.
No we need a character from Four Swords Adventures, the best Zelda game ever.

Shadow Link would be a fantastic representation for Four Swords Adventures.

D

Deleted member

No we need a character from Four Swords Adventures, the best Zelda game ever.

Shadow Link would be a fantastic representation for Four Swords Adventures.
We can't have characters from games that sell like crap. That's why Happy Mask Salesmen deserves to be in; Ocarina of Time is the best selling Zelda game ever (on one console that is) and must have as many representative as possible.

That's why Ike should be replaced by Chrom as well.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
From unpopular opinions to sarcastic joke posts galore... Not sure if I sit back and watch the show or warn people to get back on topic.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Apparently wanting a Melee Mode is a pretty unpopular opinion =P I kid though, I love all of you guys.
Apparently changing the physics to be like a game to be like 64, Melee, or Brawl is bad and hard to do, but apparently customized movesets is okay and easy to do.

I don't get why people are so against it.

It's not as if it takes a long time to make or fix up.

But nope, people gotta hate good things.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Apparently wanting a Melee Mode is a pretty unpopular opinion =P I kid though, I love all of you guys.
Not going to lie; It was badly worded.

If your topic title said; "A Special Mode in SSB4 like Invisible/Metal etc. to add a few mechanics from Melee", your reception had a good chance of being better. Many blatantly didn't read the information in the topic, only paying attention to the title. Sad, but true.

That said, maybe they wouldn't mind, but yeah, it was going to turn into another lame Melee VS Brawl topic. At least some of us tried to keep it from doing that, though. You, me, Johnknight1, Eternal Phoenix Fire...

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Luigi a bad version of Mario...?
Also, no one should play Smash without loving Nintendo with a passion.

RODO

Smash Ace

If your topic title said; "A Special Mode in SSB4 like Invisible/Metal etc. to add a few mechanics from Melee", your reception had a good chance of being better. Many blatantly didn't read the information in the topic, only paying attention to the title. Sad, but true.

That said, maybe they wouldn't mind, but yeah, it was going to turn into another lame Melee VS Brawl topic. At least some of us tried to keep it from doing that, though. You, me, Johnknight1, Eternal Phoenix Fire...
I did say a mode such as giant mode or lighting mode in the OP but yeah it still could have been worded better. It just makes me sad that people can't just like all of the Smash games. The irony is that I actually play Brawl competitively and I don't even play Melee anymore (and I was a super casual back then). I have recently gotten into PM lately though and it's fun. I just love all of the Smash Bros games but it seems as if that might be an unpopular opinion to have too lol.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

It could have been better written, but it was a good idea.

Also, it wasn't Melee vs. Brawl, it was literally people who like Melee vs. people who hate people who like Melee (aka people who should be banned but somehow aren't).

Honestly, the problem with that thread is people hate Melee with a passion and are able to just be jerks about it with no consequences. I don't remember this being a thing in the pre-Brawl boards this bad. When something happened, us, the veteran users, told them why they were wrong without restraint, and they either learned the hard way, got the message and got off easy, or they left because they weren't smart enough to handle it.

But hey, that's what happens we're we are soft on intolerance for people liking things, but are hard on intolerance for intolerant people as a culture here on the pre-release Smash 4 Boards.

Honestly though, I'm probably to blame as much as anyone for letting that happen without resisting it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I did say a mode such as giant mode or lighting mode in the OP but yeah it still could have been worded better. It just makes me sad that people can't just like all of the Smash games. The irony was that I actually play Brawl competitively and I don't even play Melee anymore (and I was a super casual back then). I have recently gotten into PM lately though and it's fun. I just love all of the Smash Bros games but it seems as if that might be an unpopular opinion to have too lol.
To be fair, that happens with every series that has multiple games in it. People will always argue about which game is best, and the people that like every game in the series are few and far between. It's sad, but what can you really do?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To be fair, that happens with every series that has multiple games in it. People will always argue about which game is best, and the people that like every game in the series are few and far between.
It wasn't even Melee vs. Brawl; it was people who want a mode to make the game like Melee vs. people saying "let the past stay the past".

Honestly, the reason there is hatred for it is mostly based in ignorance, which apparently is the norm here and something we must protect like our political or religious views.

But hey, me opposing ignorance so passionately is a very unpopular view, and why many of the best users are so disliked nowadays.

RODO

Smash Ace
It could have been better written, but it was a good idea.

Also, it wasn't Melee vs. Brawl, it was literally people who like Melee vs. people who hate people who like Melee (aka people who should be banned but somehow aren't).

Honestly, the problem with that thread is people hate Melee with a passion and are able to just be jerks about it with no consequences. I don't remember this being a thing in the pre-Brawl boards this bad. When something happened, us, the veteran users, told them why they were wrong without restraint, and they either learned the hard way, got the message and got off easy, or they left because they weren't smart enough to handle it.

But hey, that's what happens we're we are soft on intolerance for people liking things, but are hard on intolerance for intolerant people as a culture here on the pre-release Smash 4 Boards.

Honestly though, I'm probably to blame as much as anyone for letting that happen without resisting it.
It's not even just Melee and Brawl stuff either. A lot of ideas on this board for Smash 4 in general are met with unwarranted hate alongside a lot of condescending. I know it's the internet but I thought since we were a community that we'd be more accepting of each other.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's not even just Melee and Brawl stuff either. A lot of ideas on this board for Smash 4 in general are met with a lot of unwarranted hate alongside a lot of condescending. I know it's the internet but I thought since we were a community that we'd be more accepting of each other.
Exactly. I quit playing Brawl in 2010, and even though I dislike the game and a ton of parts of it, but I recognize that people have a valid reason to love the game as their favorite game, I see a lot of good things in the game, and honestly, I find myself really liking these 1 stock Brawl tournaments. They're freaking intense.

People shouldn't get heat for what their favorite smash game is or for liking that smash game. That's just wrong.

But yeah, people hating on people for liking the game or wanting features from the past game coming back (that aren't random tripping or non-automatic L-cancelling-esk lag reduction awful balance or dumb stuff like that) is just plain bad.

In fact, I dare say it is as bad as a disease, and it needs to die, and we shouldn't have to be afraid of attacking it head on (obviously not in this thread though because of the OP thread's rules).

Last edited:

RODO

Smash Ace
Exactly. I quit playing Brawl in 2010, and even though I dislike the game and a ton of parts of it, but I recognize that people have a valid reason to love the game as their favorite game, I see a lot of good things in the game, and honestly, I find myself really liking these 1 stock Brawl tournaments. They're freaking intense.

People shouldn't get heat for what their favorite smash game is or for liking that smash game. That's just wrong.

But yeah, people hating on people for liking the game or wanting features from the past game coming back (that aren't random tripping or non-automatic L-cancelling-esk lag reduction awful balance or dumb stuff like that) is just plain bad.

In fact, I dare say it is as bad as a disease, and it needs to die, and we shouldn't have to be afraid of attacking it head on (obviously not in this thread though because of the OP thread's rules).
Speaking of which, Brawl is my favorite game in the series =P

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Speaking of which, Brawl is my favorite game in the series =P
And there is nothing wrong with that, and it should never be considered as such.

Like Prog says, Smash is like Reece's: it's good no matter how you have it.

Let's just let people enjoy what they enjoy (as long as it doesn't infringe upon us in a negative way) and be happy with what we like and love.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It wasn't even Melee vs. Brawl; it was people who want a mode to make the game like Melee vs. people saying "let the past stay the past".

Honestly, the reason there is hatred for it is mostly based in ignorance, which apparently is the norm here and something we must protect like our political or religious views.

But hey, me opposing ignorance so passionately is a very unpopular view, and why many of the best users are so disliked nowadays.
I must say one thing:
Holding someone (or yourself, for that matter) up as 'one of the best posters' is pointless and idiotic. It also seems a bit narcissistic as well, to me anyway.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
SSB64 is my favorite of the three games.

Melee had the best mechanics.

Brawl had my favorite character list overall(although I like all of Melee's characters too). It also sucks as a platformer, but rocks as a fighting game.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
While you're pretty much right, I must say one thing:
Holding someone (or yourself, for that matter) up as 'one of the best posters' is pointless and idiotic. It also seems a bit narcissistic as well, to me anyway.
I do consider myself one of the best posters, but not the best. I don't see that as something narcissistic, but something I've proven over time and I think I continue to prove by having innovative and top notch opinions on things. I don't say that just to toot my own horn, but because people I consider top tier posters tell me that I am, and given how much influence I have had in the smash speculation (I hope mostly for the better), specifically in relation to gameplay (which apparently no one else even talks about, especially in regards to gameplay).

I do think considering people top tier posters or speculators is totally normal. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Clearly some people are better posters than others. It's always the case that some people are better at some things than others.

D

Deleted member

I do consider myself one of the best posters, but not the best. I don't see that as something narcissistic, but something I've proven over time and I think I continue to prove by having innovative and top notch opinions on things. I don't say that just to toot my own horn, but because people I consider top tier posters tell me that I am, and given how much influence I have had in the smash speculation (I hope mostly for the better), specifically in relation to gameplay (which apparently no one else even talks about, especially in regards to gameplay).

I do think considering people top tier posters or speculators is totally normal. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Clearly some people are better posters than others. It's always the case that some people are better at some things than others.
I've seen plenty of gameplay speculation, but it tends to get overshadowed by character speculation, or just neglected and banished to the first circle of Smashboards hell.
This thread has gone massively off-topic.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This isn't off topic, we're talking about smash-related unpopular opinions on the "Unpopular Smash 4 opinions" (which should be the "Controversial Smash 4 opinions" thread).

And yes, talking about who we consider the best posters or what we consider "best poster quality" in regards to smash speculation.

Also, my most unpopular smash opinion:

Tripping x Wavedashing is the best Smash Bros. combination!!!

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I don't like Sakurai and I feel that a lot of the ways he goes about game design is extremely backwards despite him being talented and creative.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
specifically in relation to gameplay (which apparently no one else even talks about, especially in regards to gameplay)..
We have a thread dedicated to this exactly. Don't see you around there.

I'd also like to say in relation to
"But hey, me opposing ignorance so passionately is a very unpopular view, and why many of the best users are so disliked nowadays."
i cannot consider yourself a respectable poster if you're this naive, and that this isn't the topic to measure epeens. Nor is any thread made around here for that purpose. I consider it off topic. So carry on with what this is really for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom