• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well, there went my Jill prediction.

I guess Lara still has a good chance as far as big-name females go. I'm confident that fighter 5 will be a huge bombshell, and most of the fanbase will be pleased regardless of who it is. That being said, it does seem a bit odd if Kazooie is the only female we get, considering Smash 4 DLC had two females.
Kazooie doesn't legitimately count as our female representation. Arguments are invalid. As more Smash 4, these days, Corrin is more associated with the female avatar, while Bayonetta is well, Bayonetta.

Assuming we do get a Fighter 5 reveal at the big-ass Game Awards everyone has set their eyes on. If we're going to continue this trend of niche characters, we probably will get a character that will be very mixed in reception compared to the other ones. Then Fighter 6 will get revealed at the Game Awards to set the stage for Season 2.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yes, there will be people who will hate FP5 for being male, but for someone like Master Chief who's pretty much a hype-worthy character, the vast majority of the community will indeed gravitate to the fighter, but however, there will be the vocal minority who will all pick up their pitchforks for not having good female representation in the DLC. In fact, there's an entire movement on Twitter already who claimed that they won't buy the pass if the last character is a female. And even though the hype-worthy character will be a great addition, sometimes people won't feel the vibe of a true Fighters Pass without female fighters.

So no, it does not sound ridiculous for the vast majority, but there will still be people who will voice out.
There's a movement on Twitter saying that? That's... dumb. Some people, especially young ones with too much time in their hands, tend to get swept by such ideologies that they seek to impregnate it on every aspect of their lives instead of doing something worthwhile. Should have known that someone would eventually direct it towards Smash.

Also, for everything you do or say, there will always be a minority who hates you for it. If you are a creator, just do what feels right. So what if there is a group of users on Twitter boycotting the pass? It's their loss. Sakurai and Nintendo shouldn't be rushing to make amends with them. In fact, trying to please everybody is the easiest road to failure. Sakurai may even be blissfully unaware that this is even a thing; and calling it that is being generous, it's probably not even big enough to make a small splash.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
In my opinion, I thought a Resident Evil character would be boring to play as in Smash but, before getting Spirited Away, I thought RE was inevitable. Granted, I've never touched a Resident Evil game before so I wouldn't know much about an RE character's moveset. However, I just saw Chris/Jill/Leon as Snake 2.0 in regards to Smash. I guess I'm indifferent about RE getting spirits.

Anyways, I'm still thinking Arle is likely, and Kat & Ana would be cool too. Roll would be a fine joke character like she was in MvC.
1539606938883.jpg

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
In my opinion, I thought a Resident Evil character would be boring to play as in Smash but, before getting Spirited Away, I thought RE was inevitable. Granted, I've never touched a Resident Evil game before so I wouldn't know much about an RE character's moveset. However, I just saw Chris/Jill/Leon as Snake 2.0 in regards to Smash. I guess I'm indifferent about RE getting spirits.

Anyways, I'm still thinking Arle is likely, and Kat & Ana would be cool too. Roll would be a fine joke character like she was in MvC.
Watch gameplay videos of them in Marvel vs Capcom 2, 3 and Infinite. Can definitely stand on their own and be more artillery based than Snake.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
So how come Jill is out because she has a spirit? Are we going the old "spirit deconfirmation" episode again?

1FC0

Smash Lord
It would be pretty weird to release a spirit shortly before releasing the fighter. But it's possible, Nintendo can do whatever they want.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yes, there will be people who will hate FP5 for being male, but for someone like Master Chief who's pretty much a hype-worthy character, the vast majority of the community will indeed gravitate to the fighter, but however, there will be the vocal minority who will all pick up their pitchforks for not having good female representation in the DLC. In fact, there's an entire movement on Twitter already who claimed that they won't buy the pass if the last character is a female. And even though the hype-worthy character will be a great addition, sometimes people won't feel the vibe of a true Fighters Pass without female fighters.

So no, it does not sound ridiculous for the vast majority, but there will still be people who will voice out.
Hey, I have zero-zip-nada problem with Chief in Smash. He's one of my most wanted and has the potential to bring more to Smash than any of the third party characters we currently have. Male? Who cares. I think everyone should step back and take a break from romanticizing this movement that will happen if the last fighter is male. It's a group of people on Twitter who will be salty if there isn't a female for FP5, end of story. There's not going to be a riot or a new online status quo, much less a paradigm shift that will push the devs to prioritize female representation. The devs aren't going to try to appease a comparably small group of people on Twitter when there are infinitely bigger demographics they've already prioritized themselves with. If FP5 is male, then at best there will be a Kotaku article that covers the disappointment of this so-called movement, and it will be forgotten in a week.

I'm currently feeling the vibe of the Fighters' pass. We have 4 different characters that appeal to four different demographics across different age groups and geographic segments. I see nothing wrong with it. Making a big deal about gender in a game that isn't about gender (or racial/sexual/etc) diversity benefits no one. Kazooie is just as much as a female character as Joker is male, there's no point in trying to say she's not. Claiming that Kazooie or Corrin are different than other females and therefore not fighters is like comparing a red delicious apple to a macintosh and saying that because the macintosh is different than the former, it therefore isn't an apple. Yes, Kazooie and Corrin aren't the same as say Lucina or Bayonetta. But they are still playable female fighters, and nothing can change that. The whole Kazooie argument is pretty easy to see through anyway. By saying she's not a true female fighter or whatever, that somehow creates an even bigger necessity for a female character in Smash--except it doesn't, because not only is Kazooie an established female character, but Smash never had a necessity for characters of any gender, male or female, anyway.

While I'm disappointed that Jill will probably not be FP5, I still have high hopes for Lara or some other female taking the stage. That being said, if FP5 turns to be a male character, I'm fine with that too. If I were to have a problem with a character in Smash, it would have to be for a reason less trivial than gender, and it's a shame everyone doesn't see it this way. Imagine how much better the Smash community would be if we didn't throw temper tantrums over the sexual identity (or other minor traits) of fighters and instead looked to their more defining qualities first, and appreciated what we already have rather than lamenting on something we didn't get.
So how come Jill is out because she has a spirit? Are we going the old "spirit deconfirmation" episode again?
Yes, because there is currently no reason to believe that FP5 is a current Spirit. Spirits are 0-4 in the current Fighters' pass. FP5 was chosen before all of the Spirits were even revealed. It would be out of order for them to create a Spirit at the same time as making that same character a fighter. There are no patterns that suggest that FP5 is a Spirit, but the current pattern of fighters does suggest that FP5 is not a Spirit. In the unlikely chance that FP5 is indeed a Spirit, I'll eat my words. But in the meantime, I'd count on it not being a Spirit.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I mean some of the characters I want happen to be spirits, but I still think they're out unless otherwise noted. If I recall correctly, they were meant to be added so "they're in the game" or something. I know someone brought up Mewtwo and Lucas in Tr4sh, but I think those are exempt since not only are they trophies (which trophies and spirits can, indeed co-exist like they did in Brawl via stickers), but they're also veterans.

QueenTiger

Smash Rookie
I'm confused as to why people would say "no". To me that actively seems as if you don't want a female character. I mean, I get not caring, but why actively go against it?

For me as a trans woman, gender of the character is actually quite important. I simply don't feel too comfortable playing as male characters. Luckily, there are a handful of decent female characters already in the game, but I don't see why adding more would hurt. I'd definitely welcome a female addition for Fighter Pass 5. They could also go the route of this one being all male and the next one being all female. Kazooie doesn't count for me either, she is a secondary addition to Banjo who's name comes first.

Some of the badass female characters I want for smash, and yes I'm aware that some of these have no chance:
- Chun-Li - Street Fighter(would've been better than Ken, let's be honest)
- Tracer/D.Va/Sombra - Overwatch
- Seraphina - Disgea
- Shantae - Shantae: Half Genie Hero
- Ahri - League of Legends
- Morrigan - Darkstalkers
- Sylveon - Pokemon (yeah it's technically mixed, but I'd put in the realm of a very feminine pokemon like Jigglypuff)
- Ashley - Warioware (they could get real creative with this one)
- Junko Enoshima - Danganronpa
- Callie - Splatoon
- Cynder - Spyro
- Arfoire - Hyperdimension Neptunia (Some villain representation here as well)

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused as to why people would say "no". To me that actively seems as if you don't want a female character. I mean, I get not caring, but why actively go against it?

For me as a trans woman, gender of the character is actually quite important. I simply don't feel too comfortable playing as male characters. Luckily, there are a handful of decent female characters already in the game, but I don't see why adding more would hurt. I'd definitely welcome a female addition for Fighter Pass 5. They could also go the route of this one being all male and the next one being all female. Kazooie doesn't count for me either, she is a secondary addition to Banjo who's name comes first.
videogame isn't politics,
and why do you feel the need to repeatedly say ''trans woman''? i got nothing against someone who is trans btw i would support someone close to me if they actually would take that step, but trying to use this in your advantage for a videogame? that just screams SJW >.>

''i am uncomfortable playing males'' i'm sorry but that is not a legit reason to get a female,

i am uncomfortable when there is a spider anywhere near me, how about we come up with a law that must kill every spider that exists so i no longer feel uncomfortable? i also feel uncomfortable when someone eats fish since i hate the smell so how about we ban fish from now on?

you know after those examples you should realize how what you just said came over towards people, and i will be blunt to make a point about it.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
How the hell is wanting a certain kind of character in a video game a political issue? It's not, bruh.

I think she mentioned her gender identity to explain why she would personally like to have more women in the game. Don't be an ass about it.

People who use the term SJW as a pejorative make no sense to me. The f*** is wrong with social justice?

Last edited:

QueenTiger

Smash Rookie
videogame isn't politics,
and why do you feel the need to repeatedly say ''trans woman''? i got nothing against someone who is trans btw i would support someone close to me if they actually would take that step, but trying to use this in your advantage for a videogame? that just screams SJW >.>

''i am uncomfortable playing males'' i'm sorry but that is not a legit reason to get a female,

i am uncomfortable when there is a spider anywhere near me, how about we come up with a law that must kill every spider that exists so i no longer feel uncomfortable? i also feel uncomfortable when someone eats fish since i hate the smell so how about we ban fish from now on?

you know after those examples you should realize how what you just said came over towards people, and i will be blunt to make a point about it.
Firstly, I only said it once to contextualise my post. I don't see how I'm the SJW when you are the one who is apparently heated over seeing the word "trans woman".

"Not a legit reason". I mean, saying this makes it sound like you think there has to be a reason to include females. Can't just include them cause they're cool characters?

Not only this, but by saying video games aren't politics you sound extremely naive. Of course they are different things, but naturally there will be overlap with something as broad as politics whenever opinions come into it.

I'm now going to be blunt in saying that you come across as very ignorant and closed minded. Try again.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
This is my number one source of confusion among people who argue against the idea behind wanting more women. It's baffling. It's not like these same users dislike the women we already have playable like Zelda, Samus, etc. so it's not out of misogyny.

Also, a lot of these users believe that under this thread's premise, we would only be adding women for the sake of it, instead of because a lot of female characters are also cool and just as beloved as other gendered characters. In my experience, women wouldn't be satisfied with a female cook from Overcooked or the lady from Diner Dash just because they're women, they want characters like Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Shantae, Dixie Kong, Toadette, Chun-Li, you know the heavy hitters who also happen to be women. The boogeymen in this thread who think adding a female character would be a bad idea because to them they'd be added solely for representation have a very condescending and ill-informed attitude about it, whether they realize it or not.

QueenTiger

Smash Rookie
This is my number one source of confusion among people who argue against the idea behind wanting more women. It's baffling. It's not like these same users dislike the women we already have playable like Zelda, Samus, etc. so it's not out of misogyny.

Also, a lot of these users believe that under this thread's premise, we would only be adding women for the sake of it, instead of because a lot of female characters are also cool and just as beloved as other gendered characters. In my experience, women wouldn't be satisfied with a female cook from Overcooked or the lady from Diner Dash just because they're women, they want characters like Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Shantae, Dixie Kong, Toadette, Chun-Li, you know the heavy hitters who also happen to be women. The boogeymen in this thread who think adding a female character would be a bad idea because to them they'd be added solely for representation have a very condescending and ill-informed attitude about it, whether they realize it or not.
I agree, it’s very black and white to these people. Like they seem to be viewing it as either getting an iconic character OR getting a female character but it’s like there are so many iconic female characters in gaming as evidenced by the list in my first post to this thread and the multiple lists other users have contributed. It seems to me that (and not to get too “political”) some guys (not all, but some) seem to have trouble seeing why women want more female characters maybe because games typically tend to have more male characters.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Firstly, I only said it once to contextualise my post. I don't see how I'm the SJW when you are the one who is apparently heated over seeing the word "trans woman".

"Not a legit reason". I mean, saying this makes it sound like you think there has to be a reason to include females. Can't just include them cause they're cool characters?

Not only this, but by saying video games aren't politics you sound extremely naive. Of course they are different things, but naturally there will be overlap with something as broad as politics whenever opinions come into it.

I'm now going to be blunt in saying that you come across as very ignorant and closed minded. Try again.
oh my it comes to this..well ok then here we go into a wild ride once again! >~>

''heated'' is a bit overreacted wouldn't you say? how about with each statement i believe in i would say ''as a guy i want blablabla'' or ''as a guy it makes me uncomfortable when blablabla'' if i would do that how would that make you feel? wouldn you be bothered by that? or wouldn't you care at all?
i never did this btw but i wonder how you would react if i did this.

would love to see cool female characters i never said i didn't want them, but if someone literally says ''i do not feel that comfortable to play as male characters so i want more females!'' then no it's not a good reason but don't worry i would be saying the same thing to someone that had a reason like that for only wanting male characters,
wanting characters for being cool then yeah that's something i can agree with! :D

does a videogame makes you uncomfortable in anyway? well then don't buy it and play it,
i sure as hell won't watch/play anything that makes me uncomfortable that's for sure.

and just as i expected you completely ignored my examples but i do not blame you, you do not want to admit that it really comes across the same way as you described it but that's cool!

i am far from ignorant ^-^ i am far from closed minded as well, you just don't like it that i said something about it but that's ok i understand!

Night Gale

Smash Ace
She said it one time, and in a topic where it makes sense to bring it up. You overreacted, bruh. People in this thread have casually mentioned their genders already and no one responded like you did to her.

You're also ignorant if you cannot comprehend why a trans person would be far more inclined to pick the gender that they identify with than someone who isn't trans.

Last edited:

QueenTiger

Smash Rookie
oh my it comes to this..well ok then here we go into a wild ride once again! >~>

''heated'' is a bit overreacted wouldn't you say? how about with each statement i believe in i would say ''as a guy i want blablabla'' or ''as a guy it makes me uncomfortable when blablabla'' if i would do that how would that make you feel? wouldn you be bothered by that? or wouldn't you care at all?
i never did this btw but i wonder how you would react if i did this.

would love to see cool female characters i never said i didn't want them, but if someone literally says ''i do not feel that comfortable to play as male characters so i want more females!'' then no it's not a good reason but don't worry i would be saying the same thing to someone that had a reason like that for only wanting male characters,
wanting characters for being cool then yeah that's something i can agree with! :D

does a videogame makes you uncomfortable in anyway? well then don't buy it and play it,
i sure as hell won't watch/play anything that makes me uncomfortable that's for sure.

and just as i expected you completely ignored my examples but i do not blame you, you do not want to admit that it really comes across the same way as you described it but that's cool!

i am far from ignorant ^-^ i am far from closed minded as well, you just don't like it that i said something about it but that's ok i understand!
Well isn't this one of the most condescending posts I've read in a while. You have massively misunderstood my post (either that or deliberately misrepresented me, but I'll assume good intent for now).

I wouldn't care if you did that, but I haven't done that with each statement I "believe in". I did it once to contextualise, so you've really over-exaggerated that one.
I never said I only wanted female characters, I'm all for adding male characters but they've done 4 of them already for this first DLC so a female would be nice. I personally prefer to play as female characters and there are some who prefer to play as male characters and they are entitled to do so so characters should be added for them as well.
And the game itself doesn't make me uncomfortable at all, because there are good female characters I can play as. By your logic, if someone didn't enjoy every character available they shouldn't play it.
I ignored your examples because they were extremely illogical. But sure, I'll address them now. They again, over-exaggerate my point. I never said we should get rid of all the male characters, that would be dumb. I simply said, I don't like playing as male characters so I'd like for at least one other female character to be added. Also, there are plenty of female characters that regardless do deserve to be in the game and many that would be very creative and fun to play (refer to the lists provided by me and other contributors to see some).
You can say you're far from ignorant and closed-minded all you want, but the things you say don't back that up. I don't really mind being challenged either, if I didn't like that you said something in response I wouldn't have even took the time to respond lol.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
She said it one time, and in a topic where it makes sense to bring it up. You overreacted, bruh.

You're also ignorant if you cannot comprehend why a trans person would be far more inclined to pick the gender that they identify with than someone who isn't trans.
all i can basically say is there are female characters already and sure more would be cool since there aren't alot of them but there are technically female characters so if someone who is trans wants to play as a male/female character they have that opportunity, not many choices female wise but they are there!

Well isn't this one of the most condescending posts I've read in a while. You have massively misunderstood my post (either that or deliberately misrepresented me, but I'll assume good intent for now).

I wouldn't care if you did that, but I haven't done that with each statement I "believe in". I did it once to contextualise, so you've really over-exaggerated that one.
I never said I only wanted female characters, I'm all for adding male characters but they've done 4 of them already for this first DLC so a female would be nice. I personally prefer to play as female characters and there are some who prefer to play as male characters and they are entitled to do so so characters should be added for them as well.
And the game itself doesn't make me uncomfortable at all, because there are good female characters I can play as. By your logic, if someone didn't enjoy every character available they shouldn't play it.
I ignored your examples because they were extremely illogical. But sure, I'll address them now. They again, over-exaggerate my point. I never said we should get rid of all the male characters, that would be dumb. I simply said, I don't like playing as male characters so I'd like for at least one other female character to be added. Also, there are plenty of female characters that regardless do deserve to be in the game and many that would be very creative and fun to play (refer to the lists provided by me and other contributors to see some).
You can say you're far from ignorant and closed-minded all you want, but the things you say don't back that up. I don't really mind being challenged either, if I didn't like that you said something in response I wouldn't have even took the time to respond lol.
english isn't my main language so it can happen that i might misunderstand stuff or describe things wrong and stuff >.<

that might be a misunderstanding then, because to me it came across like you only wanted females cause male characters made you uncomfortable, and i did mention in this thread that it would be cool to have more female characters! so you assuming i didn't want new female characters as DLC is just not true either.
i just personally don't think anyone should say ''as a female ''as a guy'' etc because me personally don't see why people should do that to say something they think or want,
it gives me the feeling that they try to make it sound like their opinions matter more then the other genders, everyone's opinion is equal in my eyes,
mhm that's something i agree with, people should play which gender they like,
i kinda meant more in a way of if someone didn't liked any character in a game/movie then it's best to just not play/watch it right? or am i wrong with that?
yeah sure i exaggerated them examples but that was because i was just trying to make a point in that reply,
i think there are certain characters who i think deserve to be in the game from both males and females but i try to avoid the word ''deserve'' for certain reasons,

QueenTiger

Smash Rookie
all i can basically say is there are female characters already and sure more would be cool since there aren't alot of them but there are technically female characters so if someone who is trans wants to play as a male/female character they have that opportunity, not many choices female wise but they are there!

english isn't my main language so it can happen that i might misunderstand stuff or describe things wrong and stuff >.<

that might be a misunderstanding then, because to me it came across like you only wanted females cause male characters made you uncomfortable, and i did mention in this thread that it would be cool to have more female characters! so you assuming i didn't want new female characters as DLC is just not true either.
i just personally don't think anyone should say ''as a female ''as a guy'' etc because me personally don't see why people should do that to say something they think or want,
it gives me the feeling that they try to make it sound like their opinions matter more then the other genders, everyone's opinion is equal in my eyes,
mhm that's something i agree with, people should play which gender they like,
i kinda meant more in a way of if someone didn't liked any character in a game/movie then it's best to just not play/watch it right? or am i wrong with that?
yeah sure i exaggerated them examples but that was because i was just trying to make a point in that reply,
i think there are certain characters who i think deserve to be in the game from both males and females but i try to avoid the word ''deserve'' for certain reasons,
Ah, that makes sense.
It was never my intention though to say you didn't want new female characters, that was meant as a general thing to people voting no - as voting no implies someone doesn't want female characters.
I also never said my opinion mattered more, I was just bringing it up as context to why the gender of a character matters more to me than it might to a cis person.
Exaggerating the examples made you come off as naive and ignorant, and not only that but the way you worded your post came off as if you were talking down to me.

Also, looking at the DLC so far, none of it really "stands out" to me, but it will stand out to some people. Everyone has different tastes, and it just seems to me and others on this forum that some tastes are accounted for more than others. If other people who prefer to play guys get so much choice, why shouldn't those of us who prefer to play as females also get a little more variety?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Warning Issued
For me as a trans woman, gender of the character is actually quite important. I simply don't feel too comfortable playing as male characters.
Maybe they are like you but trans-men.

Personally I am a superior being and am uncomfortable playing inferior characters which means that I cannot comfortably play Smash64 or Melee at all.

QueenTiger

Smash Rookie
Maybe they are like you but trans-men.

Personally I am a superior being and am uncomfortable playing inferior characters which means that I cannot comfortably play Smash64 or Melee at all.
12 year old spotted.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
For me as a trans woman, gender of the character is actually quite important. I simply don't feel too comfortable playing as male characters.
Okay I gotta ask why does it matter so much for what gender a character is?
I mean I don't see how does it make you feel uncomfortable when they are just video game characters.

QueenTiger

Smash Rookie
Okay I gotta ask why does it matter so much for what gender a character is?
I mean I don't see how does it make you feel uncomfortable when they are just video game characters.
Because the character I pick is a way of representing me, at least that's how I see it. It's similar to how like, some pokemon youtubers will have their channel mascot as a Pokemon that represents them.
You might not see it that way, but I do.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Because the character I pick is a way of representing me, at least that's how I see it. It's similar to how like, some pokemon youtubers will have their channel mascot as a Pokemon that represents them.
It still feels like you're making a big deal of something rather small, I mean you would turn down a character because of their gender seems pretty cold and petty from my perspective.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It still feels like you're making a big deal of something rather small, I mean you would turn down a character because of their gender seems pretty cold and petty from my perspective.
Her perspective isn't cold or petty at all. Everyone has preferences and she even said she's fine with a bunch of the male characters already in the game / DLC.

Why does it matter so much that what gender a character is matters to other people? Let people want what they want.

D

Deleted member

Girl, we kinda share the same sentiments. I mostly play female fighters in other games because they have things I can easily relate to as a woman.

D

Deleted member

That's also the same viewpoint I have. But in recent times I have been trying to tone it down. Largely due to my recent outbursts here in this forum.

QueenTiger

Smash Rookie
Girl, we kinda share the same sentiments. I mostly play female fighters in other games because they have things I can easily relate to as a woman.
Yeah absolutely, it goes beyond gender as well, I think we also look at personality traits. Like if you look at the characters I picked they mostly have some similar traits which I relate to. These character traits are also often incorporated into the character's play style so it's more important than people think.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Yeah absolutely, it goes beyond gender as well, I think we also look at personality traits. Like if you look at the characters I picked they mostly have some similar traits which I relate to. These character traits are also often incorporated into the character's play style so it's more important than people think.
Well it's not impossible for the opposite to relate to the person who's playing as them.

1FC0

Smash Lord
12 year old spotted.
The first sentence was serious though. I found this part strange:

I do not understand how you could have a strong preference for female characters yet not even be able to imagine the reasoning behind someone having a strong preference for the opposite gender. Granted, people who have a strong preference for male characters seem to be much rarer and AFAIK I have not seen anyone like that post here; but considering the fact that you greatly favour female characters it seems that you would more easily understand people who greatly favour male characters.

If you being a trans-woman causes you to greatly favour female characters, then maybe a trans-man would greatly favour male characters? Or are trans-men different in that regard?

QueenTiger

Smash Rookie
The first sentence was serious though. I found this part strange:

I do not understand how you could have a strong preference for female characters yet not even be able to imagine the reasoning behind someone having a strong preference for the opposite gender. Granted, people who have a strong preference for male characters seem to be much rarer and AFAIK I have not seen anyone like that post here; but considering the fact that you greatly favour female characters it seems that you would more easily understand people who greatly favour male characters.

If you being a trans-woman causes you to greatly favour female characters, then maybe a trans-man would greatly favour male characters? Or are trans-men different in that regard?
You seem to have completely misunderstood (or purposefully misrepresented) my post. I have actually multiple times in this thread mentioned that some people do have strong preference for male characters. The point is, those people already have a huge variety of choice with most of the cast being male characters so the people like me who strongly prefer female characters end up being left with not as much to choose from. The DLC already has 4 male characters hence why people who have strong preferences for male characters wouldn't post here so much. Also, adding a female character doesn't take away from this huge variety of male characters and I'm not and have never said every character has to be female so that is why I said I struggle to understand why some people are actively against adding a female character.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Day 1 spirits were put in the game at a time where the DLC characters weren't yet locked in. Jill & Co. on the other hand had their spirits added at a time where we're not only 4 characters into the Fighters Pass, but they likely already know who's in the next one. It's much more damning in this case, unfortunately.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
No, why you ask?
She probably asked because a person who's experienced gender dysphoria wouldn't make statements like the ones you did. We have a s***load of privileges, so we aren't nearly as aware of gender and its significance in our daily lives.

Well it's not impossible for the opposite to relate to the person who's playing as them.
It is exceedingly more strenuous for someone like her to relate to the opposite when they have to unwillingly live as it for a period of time, and doing so could very well cause feelings of discomfort and invalidation.

Then maybe a trans-man would greatly favour male characters? Or are trans-men different in that regard?
They're men, so despite being assigned differently at birth, they were always able to express themselves a little more freely than trans women. However, their unique experience also means that they are men who've experienced misogyny. So chances are they would notice the disparity in the roster and vote yes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Apparently Capcom was deconfirmed today. If so, the only viable female reps we may have left include Saber, Arle Nadja, or any other curveball female we might have missed.

D

Deleted member

Straight white male here about to chime in an opinion on this thread and point out some gripes I have with some arguments a few pages ago but first; I'd like to share some female characters that I would personally love to see and why. Long post incoming.

Lara Croft. A pipe dream for me. I grew up playing her games a lot in the 90's on my PS1 alongside the Spyro trilogy and FFVII. Her iconisism (is this not a word, spell check?) is nothing to scoff at and I think she would make a great addition to the roster. Her resume consists of film adaptations, comics and novels too. Arguing about the justifications of her inclusion would be very silly. I can't really say much else about her and Tomb Raider as a whole. She's pretty self-explanatory.

Terra Branford from FFVI. Now, VII is my favourite FF game and no doubt a game that should always be brought up in any discussion related to "The Greatest Game of All Time". However, a lot of people in the FF community seem to have the unanimous feeling that VI is the greatest FF. If that's not the case, we can all definitely agree that it is amazing and one of the best FF's. The story, the characters, the idea of implementing steam-punk inspired environments for the first time in FF was revolutionary, that is until VII went full on cyber-punk but we can't ignore VI for the impact it had on the series too. Terra is easily one of the best protagonists in FF. Her moveset potential is endless and could be easily implemented while still avoiding the anime-swordsmen stereotype. Esper Final Smash anyone? Yes please. Alt skin with green hair? Yes please. Clouds logo just being 'FF' as opposed to using the meteor was weird to me. I always felt the meteor would have been the best logo for Cloud if he's going to be the only FF character, but using the 2 F's feels like it could open the door for other FF protags. Lightning would be cool too I guess, but Terra's character and game is way way better. She should be the first one to consider if they ever do put in another FF protag in the future imo.

Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria. She's way cooler than Lloyd but CERO won't like that I bet. I just enjoyed her character arc more than Lloyds, and Velvets moveset would be a lot less likely to fall under the anime-swordsman stereotype considering she does a lot of kicks and has a demon arm. Her sword isn't even a sword tbh. It's a retractable blade attached to her wrist that she really only uses like, 10% of the time maybe. Alloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn would be great too. XenoSaga is a good time and when KOSMOS's name started coming up I was all "that'd be pree tight tbh". Hell, I'll even be happy with Lollipop Chainsaw. I liked that game.

All that being said though, I don't support these women because they have a vagina. I don't care about gender when it comes to supporting anything. I support them because they have merit and merit will always come before gender in my eyes because I like equality and I fully support equity. A lot of them have a long lasting history in the gaming industry while new ones like Celeste or Horizon are just coming onto the scene with some amazing games and making gamers play in awe. Now, I don't mind if people want to support female characters because they're females mostly due to the fact that I don't really give a **** about what other people want, if I may be blunt. That's your decision and you're entitled to it. I would say, just be careful about that. With today's political awkward stigma of race or gender, it's easy for someones opinions to either stem from or turn into absolute pettiness. I know everyone here means well and all our hearts are in the right places, but let's face it; you can't please everyone. We don't live in a perfect world. So far based on the DLC we've receieved thus far, it's quite evident that Nintendo and Sakurai are definately going with the merits of characters. Nothing else. Terry and Hero are the best examples of this with Terry representing series' like KoF or the other FF that are practically synonymous with the fighting game genre regardless of how well they are known or not, and DQ just being a big fukken deal in Japan.

The one thing about this thread that has really upset me though is how quick we have been to dismiss Kazooie. Last I checked, Kazooie is:
- a character in a video game
- a female
- and part of a duo, hence the announcer saying "Banjo & Kazooie" and not just "Banjo"

You can't have Banjo without Kazooie and vice versa, unless it's Diddy Kong Racing but DKR was released while BK was still in development, so it was only in due time that the conception of Kazooie would approach and the 2 would be known as a duo. As partners. As BFF's. Kazooie in BK has just as much dialogue as anyone else in the games, a lot of moments in scenes and is an integral part to their moveset, probably more than Banjo but who's keeping track? I'd also argue that she's the one character in the series that has the most personality. She's got a lotta sass and ain't afraid to speak her mind. Kazooie is dope as hell and my favourite BK character. If she doesn't count to you, then we will just have to disagree because she counts to me and she counts to a lot of people I talk to about Smash whether it's online or irl that also grew up loving BK, men and women alike. She's more than just a tool and it's unfair to just treat her as one. I know a lot of these points have already been driven home, but to say non of them are true or that any of these points don't matter is incredibly disingenuous.

In short, I support a lot of female characters but I cannot support this #UltimateDLCsoMale hashtag because I believe that it's further from the truth. It's kind of funny to me that people can be so quick to support something like this while suppressing Kazooie's participation in the DLC. It's ironic, innit? Just because she doesn't fit your quota of female representation in DLC, doesn't make her any less of a female character in the DLC we've gotten so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom