• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm not really sure who would be the best third party woman to join the roster. Off the top of my head, Lara Croft and Chun-Li would be the most surprising (and obvious)

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I'm not really sure who would be the best third party woman to join the roster. Off the top of my head, Lara Croft and Chun-Li would be the most surprising (and obvious)
There's also Jill Valentine, who is typically the RE protagonist used in most crossovers (with a few exceptions, of course).

Oddball

Smash Lord
I thinking Cooking Mama would actually be a decent choice. Whether or not you've played her games, most people have at least heard of her,a and she fits into the Nintendo characters mold quite well.

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
I feel like laura croft would be the most iconic choice possible. My concern would be how to make her have a fun moveset as that is clearly the higher priority of sakurai.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's funny how Ultimate is more PSABR than PSABR. That game would kill to have the likes of Snake, Ryu, Ken, Megaman, Cloud and Terry. The devs actually got shafted though, they tried to make a good game but Sony wasn't that invested in the idea.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's funny how Ultimate is more PSABR than PSABR. That game would kill to have the likes of Snake, Ryu, Ken, Megaman, Cloud and Terry. The devs actually got shafted though, they tried to make a good game but Sony wasn't that invested in the idea.
And wait until Crash joins. It'll be an embarrassment for PSASBR.

D

Deleted member

We are only a few weeks away from the Game Awards. And I do hope that we do get a female character...

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We are only a few weeks away from the Game Awards. And I do hope that we do get a female character...
Huh. I actually forgot that the Game Awards existed (maybe because seeing Death Stranded nominated gave me amnesia). I have no doubt DLC 5 will be revealed then.

Tbh I don't think Nintendo would pass up an opportunity to add a female character. Sakurai is smarter than that. I've given it some thought, and I feel like we'll either get Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, or some other big-name heroine, back-to-back with an announcement for their respective game ported on Switch.

D

Deleted member

Tbh I don't think Nintendo would pass up an opportunity to add a female character. Sakurai is smarter than that. I've given it some thought, and I feel like we'll either get Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, or some other big-name heroine, back-to-back with an announcement for their respective game ported on Switch
Lara Croft and Jill would be perfect candidates fpr Game Awards reveals.

D

Deleted member

Crash, Spyro, Sora, and Lara Croft all joining Smash would be the Ultimate humiliation for that game.
The game is not just dead; it's being murdered by its inspiration.

Anyway, are we gonna talk about killing PSABR or are we gonna talk about female characters being the final fighter?

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I really do hope a female character gets announced at the Game Awards, if it does happen i believe it will be Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, KOS-MOS or another big name or maybe a obscure name.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Would be nice if we can get the Final DLC for this wave to be a female AND open the next wave with a second female

But the question is....if that were to happen at the same time, how long would they be in-between developments?

AC!D!C

Smash Rookie
Representation is good and all, that being said dedicating a DLC slot to a character just because of their gender or other things such as race or sexuality isn't good game design. DLC fighters should be about shaking up the game with interesting moveset and sought-after character reps.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Would be nice if we can get the Final DLC for this wave to be a female AND open the next wave with a second female

But the question is....if that were to happen at the same time, how long would they be in-between developments?
The wait between DLC 5 and the second fighters' pass might not be too long. Consider the following: The fighters' pass was set in stone before 2019 even began. DLC fighter 5 is probably near completion at this moment and they may even begin recording the presentation for it within a few weeks. The last challenger pack will be released no later than February 2019, but that's an enormous stretch. Give them a couple of months to work on the next fighter, and we may have the first fighter of wave 2 by April. Which means the second pass may be less than half a year away.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Representation is good and all, that being said dedicating a DLC slot to a character just because of their gender or other things such as race or sexuality isn't good game design. DLC fighters should be about shaking up the game with interesting moveset and sought-after character reps.
You say that as though we can only have one or the other. Sakurai could make a creative moveset for almost anyone, so you can & should have it both ways. It's a shame that this is a common argument brought up when someone even mentions representation in games.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The only way I can see there being no stand-alone female DLC character for this game is if Sakurai only stick to third-party characters for the next batch of DLC. That being said, should there be several first-party characters for the next round, a female character should surely be guaranteed. Then again, who knows?

D

Deleted member

Good morning everyone.

I'm just here in my prayer circle hoping we get a female character. Though rumors abound of a male character for FP5...damn it. But if so, can't wait to see the criticism it'll have on social media. It'll be a blast.

Damn shame for Smash DLC.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Lara is the biggest money of my life. Chun is probably in the air unless Spirits no longer deconfirm.
Day 1 spirits may have a slight chance since they were added before any DLC was locked in. DLC spirits were added with this Fighters Pass & likely the next batch of characters in mind.

D

Deleted member

Day 1 spirits may have a slight chance since they were added before any DLC was locked in. DLC spirits were added with this Fighters Pass & likely the next batch of characters in mind.
In that case, best bets to the Geno squad if their prayers get answered.

I had this dream that Season 2 is a Women Fighters Pass to fix the game's gender ratio.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I once dreamed Magnezone or Magneton was included which would fix the even worse biology/robotic ratio. We cannot all have our dreams come true.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Good morning everyone.

I'm just here in my prayer circle hoping we get a female character. Though rumors abound of a male character for FP5...damn it. But if so, can't wait to see the criticism it'll have on social media. It'll be a blast.

Damn shame for Smash DLC.
If I am reading this correctly, you are assuming that people will hate FP5 if they happen to be male?

So if someone like Master Chief was revealed, everyone will hate him because he is a male? Do you understand just how ridiculous that sounds?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Key word, “some”.

The post that I was replying to was implying that a large number of people would be upset for this reason.
I did not read that into it. I was just thinking that she probably follows people who share the same opinion and that she thus would get a lot of criticism in her feed if a male from FP5 were the last DLC character of the first pass.

AC!D!C

Smash Rookie
You say that as though we can only have one or the other. Sakurai could make a creative moveset for almost anyone, so you can & should have it both ways. It's a shame that this is a common argument brought up when someone even mentions representation in games.
I'm not saying we can only have one or the other I'm saying if the fighter being a female is the main reason they're putting it in the game then we have problems because you're not thinking about game design first and foremost you're trying to check off boxes or have a diversity hire for brownie points.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I once dreamed Magnezone or Magneton was included which would fix the even worse biology/robotic ratio. We cannot all have our dreams come true.
I'd love another non-human fighter like Piranah plant

D

Deleted member

If I am reading this correctly, you are assuming that people will hate FP5 if they happen to be male?

So if someone like Master Chief was revealed, everyone will hate him because he is a male? Do you understand just how ridiculous that sounds?
Yes, there will be people who will hate FP5 for being male, but for someone like Master Chief who's pretty much a hype-worthy character, the vast majority of the community will indeed gravitate to the fighter, but however, there will be the vocal minority who will all pick up their pitchforks for not having good female representation in the DLC. In fact, there's an entire movement on Twitter already who claimed that they won't buy the pass if the last character is a female. And even though the hype-worthy character will be a great addition, sometimes people won't feel the vibe of a true Fighters Pass without female fighters.

So no, it does not sound ridiculous for the vast majority, but there will still be people who will voice out.

I'm not saying we can only have one or the other I'm saying if the fighter being a female is the main reason they're putting it in the game then we have problems because you're not thinking about game design first and foremost you're trying to check off boxes or have a diversity hire for brownie points.
Geez, how many times do we have to do this:

Being female is the bare minimum requirement, but many, many female characters have so much to bring to Smash. Shantae, KOS-MOS, and many others may be added for many reasons, though the fact that they're female is the bare requirement.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well, there went my Jill prediction.

I guess Lara still has a good chance as far as big-name females go. I'm confident that fighter 5 will be a huge bombshell, and most of the fanbase will be pleased regardless of who it is. That being said, it does seem a bit odd if Kazooie is the only female we get, considering Smash 4 DLC had two females.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom