• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Zelda got her best spacing tool while Sheik got a new recovery move and a combo ender. Too bad she's **** in the current meta...
It's easy to see why people like the change. But personally I really loved Melee's Transform. SSBB's Transform was very cool too, but much too slow. In addition it was limited by the loading of the game which caused the move to have random lag that could largely be avoided by pausing the game. That was really weird. It also had many other weird kinks, like the lag increasing if other transforming moves were going on. I think who finished first depended on port number, but I'm not sure anymore. Either way it was weird.

Samus already had a full functional move set though, what else to add?
Nothing. My complaint was not that they did not add something, but that they removed something cool. That they did not add something just means there is no consolation. They just got rid of a cool easter egg and that's it.

Separating them made it easier for people choose between the two of them.
How do you mean?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
It's easy to see why people like the change. But personally I really loved Melee's Transform. SSBB's Transform was very cool too, but much too slow. In addition it was limited by the loading of the game which caused the move to have random lag that could largely be avoided by pausing the game. That was really weird. It also had many other weird kinks, like the lag increasing if other transforming moves were going on. I think who finished first depended on port number, but I'm not sure anymore. Either way it was weird.

Nothing. My complaint was not that they did not add something, but that they removed something cool. That they did not add something just means there is no consolation. They just got rid of a cool easter egg and that's it.

How do you mean?
Since they're treated like separate characters on the ccs.

Also the player won't have to change to the other form after using final smashes.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Since they're treated like separate characters on the ccs.
They could still give them a seperate slot, especially since the transformation was one-way. Otherwise, they could just make it obvious how to switch. E.g. by give them a slot that looks like the ones echo characters can get.
Also the player won't have to change to the other form after using final smashes.
I should have clarified that I was only talking about the Smash Taunt.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
They could still give them a seperate slot, especially since the transformation was one-way. Otherwise, they could just make it obvious how to switch. E.g. by give them a slot that looks like the ones echo characters can get.

I should have clarified that I was only talking about the Smash Taunt.
Said taunt was difficult to preform plus tthe transformation was an issue for the 3DS.

They being separated individualize their place on the roster better from my perspective.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Said taunt was difficult to preform
That is no reason to remove it. They could make it easy to perform.
plus tthe transformation was an issue for the 3DS.
I know, but SSBU is on the Switch which can handle it fine, otherwise we would not have had PT back.

They being separated individualize their place on the roster better from my perspective.
I agree but do not think this is a bad thing. Gameplay wise this would just give people a fun easter egg, especially if they make ZSS good at killing (possibly by giving her armor pieces) and make the Smash Taunt fast enough to perform in a match. Lore wise Samus and ZSS are the same person but with different gear, so it makes sense to treat them as if they're connected.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
That is no reason to remove it. They could make it easy to perform.

I know, but SSBU is on the Switch which can handle it fine, otherwise we would not have had PT back.

I agree but do not think this is a bad thing. Gameplay wise this would just give people a fun easter egg, especially if they make ZSS good at killing (possibly by giving her armor pieces) and make the Smash Taunt fast enough to perform in a match. Lore wise Samus and ZSS are the same person but with different gear, so it makes sense to treat them as if they're connected.
Eh I still it's better to keep them separate, just because they are the same person thing is that they have greatly different move sets and not everyone knows how to use them both, that would also cause some complications on alts as well.

Besides she isn't the only one with multiple versions of herself, what's done is done.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So who is on your female characters wanted list guys? Here's mine:
Well most of the characters I want are female so with the exception of Lyn, Krystal, and Gardevoir (who are my most wanted, but are trophies/Pokeballed) here's mine from most wanted to least:

Amaterasu
Shantae
Elma
Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes)
Kat (Gravity Rush)
Lara Croft
Saber
Reimu
Tetra (I definitely want her to come with this song)
Impa
Taki
Talim
KOS-MOS

Graizen

Smash Champion
NEWS:

Smash Bros Special event in Japan , and PLAYSTATION will be participating!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

what.jpg

Plank08

Smash Lord
So... here’s my thing:
I fully support female characters, and I do feel like we could get a female character, but I feel like wanting a character just because they are female is kind of...wrong?
Like you can want a character who just so happens to be a female, happens all the time, but wanting them just because they are female is not only kind of sexist but also undermines the character as a whole.
Like, if I said I wanted Lara Croft just because she is a female, I would be undermining everything that makes her a great character, and that’s just no good.
I get wanting female representation, but I feel like wanting a character should be more than “because they are female”.

D

Deleted member

So who is on your female characters wanted list guys?
Completely missed that question due to some stuff I had to attend, but here's mine in case you all want to bash (or not):

• Morrigan
  • KOS-MOS
  • Velvet Crowe
  • Saber (Fate)
  • Athena Asamiya
  • Impa
  • Edelgard
  • Shantae
  • Lyn
  • Pyra/Mythra
And...that's it., My brain couldn't process more, though if any of them got in, I'll just discard this wishlist, and never ask Sakurai for anything ever again.

Zyr

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7530-5324-6817
My list of women I'd want to see isn't particularly long, mostly because I can't think of many (and some have already been noted):

Gandraya

Hilda

Jodie Summers (even if she ended up as a ZSS echo)

Lara Croft

impa

Edit: Nephenee

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So... here’s my thing:
I fully support female characters, and I do feel like we could get a female character, but I feel like wanting a character just because they are female is kind of...wrong?
Like you can want a character who just so happens to be a female, happens all the time, but wanting them just because they are female is not only kind of sexist but also undermines the character as a whole.
Like, if I said I wanted Lara Croft just because she is a female, I would be undermining everything that makes her a great character, and that’s just no good.
I get wanting female representation, but I feel like wanting a character should be more than “because they are female”.
My dear, wanting characters just because they are female isn't the entire point. They too must have the legacy of gaming to fulfill. There are a handful out there, but they too are worthy of recognition just like the males. Wanting females just because of their gender is the minimum but "not enough" requirement to be a viable candidate.

There are plenty of viable choices out there. It's just that wanting female isn't enough of a good requirement to be viable. Anyone can get in, as they say, but only if they can bring something new to the table other than being female.

Let's say my most wanted, Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers. She's female, has been part of Capcom's roster of crossover characters, and has an interesting thing going for her that differentiates her from the other Shotoclones we have in the game. Maybe her playstyle won't even revolve too much on her fighting game roots, but its up for the devs to design her moveset honestly.

Or KOS-MOS, the most viable female rep so har. She's female, has been a part of Bamco's crossover roster, is also a robot (a niche fulfilled by ROB and Mega Man), and has a crapton of weapons she can use, though she's mostly associated with her long ranged firearms. She could be a great zoner and a decent markswoman.

In general, there are many viable female reps, and they too have many things they can bring to the table.

Plank08

Smash Lord
My dear, wanting characters just because they are female isn't the entire point. They too must have the legacy of gaming to fulfill. There are a handful out there, but they too are worthy of recognition just like the males. Wanting females just because of their gender is the minimum but "not enough" requirement to be a viable candidate.

There are plenty of viable choices out there. It's just that wanting female isn't enough of a good requirement to be viable. Anyone can get in, as they say, but only if they can bring something new to the table other than being female.

Let's say my most wanted, Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers. She's female, has been part of Capcom's roster of crossover characters, and has an interesting thing going for her that differentiates her from the other Shotoclones we have in the game. Maybe her playstyle won't even revolve too much on her fighting game roots, but its up for the devs to design her moveset honestly.

Or KOS-MOS, the most viable female rep so har. She's female, has been a part of Bamco's crossover roster, is also a robot (a niche fulfilled by ROB and Mega Man), and has a crapton of weapons she can use, though she's mostly associated with her long ranged firearms. She could be a great zoner and a decent markswoman.

In general, there are many viable female reps, and they too have many things they can bring to the table.
I’m not saying female characters can’t bring new things to the table, and I’m not saying they aren’t important, I’m just saying that shouldn’t be your only reason for wanting a character, just the fact that they are female

D

Deleted member

I’m not saying female characters can’t bring new things to the table, and I’m not saying they aren’t important, I’m just saying that shouldn’t be your only reason for wanting a character, just the fact that they are female
At this point, the purpose of me wanting a female character is to break the trend of male-dominated DLC we have been getting so far. Plant doesn't count. Kazooie doesn't count. The latter has been discussed to death here.

We had Bayonetta in Smahs 4, and I'm pretty sure they would warrant to add another one for this year's Fighters Pass. An all-male coded and dominated DLC doesn't feel right.

Plank08

Smash Lord
At this point, the purpose of me wanting a female character is to break the trend of male-dominated DLC we have been getting so far. Plant doesn't count. Kazooie doesn't count. The latter has been discussed to death here.

We had Bayonetta in Smahs 4, and I'm pretty sure they would warrant to add another one for this year's Fighters Pass. An all-male coded and dominated DLC doesn't feel right.
Yeah I get that, I just hope you guys don’t think Sakurai is doing this whole Male only thing on purpose, Gender seems to be irrelevant to him so don’t take it to heart

D

Deleted member

Yeah I get that, I just hope you guys don’t think Sakurai is doing this whole Male only thing on purpose, Gender seems to be irrelevant to him so don’t take it to heart
Even so, not having females would be a waste of potential and also mirror how Smash has been always mirrored to boys, when should also be for all genders. Having a new female character could also affect both demographics as well.

But that's how I see it, and everyone views everything in a different light. I know that females aren't exaclty chosen, but it means they've been missing out on a lot of unique fighters, which is what Smash is at the core.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Eh I still it's better to keep them separate, just because they are the same person thing is that they have greatly different move sets and not everyone knows how to use them both, that would also cause some complications on alts as well.
I do not care about the same person thing, that was just to deflect objections based on lore. Either way the loss of their Smash taunt did not make them better as seperate characters so for people using them seperately it makes no difference.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So... here’s my thing:
You're absolutely right, but shhh.... you don't want to be called a boogeyman on this thread.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No one here wants more women just because but even still I don't believe it's sexist.
I definitely want more females in Smash just look at my list:

Krystal
Dixie Kong
Tron Bonne
Shantae
Marina Liteyears
Risky Boots
Chun-Li
Gruntilda
Medusa
Viridi
Elma
KOS-MOS
Taki
Mach Rider
Ayumi Tachibana
Tetra
Midna
Urbosa
Lyn
Lip
Reimu

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Mach Rider's gender is unknown.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
D

Deleted member

I just feel like wanting a character only because they are female is undermining the character, sexist may not be the best word but it’s definitely... if just doesn’t feel right
And having an all-male DLC pass doesn't feel right. Women have so much to bring to the table, but sadly, the way the world works...

Plank08

Smash Lord
And having an all-male DLC pass doesn't feel right. Women have so much to bring to the table, but sadly, the way the world works...
For this specific thing , I wouldn’t say it’s how the world works, I just feel that out of Sakurais criteria for this pass, no character that just so happened to be female fit the criteria, like, all of the characters in this pass our in for way more reasons then “because they are a boy”, I just don’t think that there’s a deeper meaning behind this and sakurai hates woman, that’s just absurd.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Does Banjo & Kazooie count as fully male? I thought they count as mixed. Though I guess that does not matter too much to someone who's pro-female and not anti-male. Mixed is still not female.

Anyway I've been wondering, why is this thread focused on DLC in particular? What would you choose if you could choose between a female being added to the base roster and a non-female being the fifth DLC or a non-female being added to the base roster and the fifth DLC being female?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I want to see female characters getting in as DLC, especially considering that most of my wanted characters are female.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yo! I'm totally behind this thread. Just gonna drop my favorite female picks here:

-2B (NieR: Automata)
-Reimu or Marisa (Touhou)
-Tracer (Overwatch)
-Saber (Fate/Stay)
-Edelgard (Fire Emblem Three Houses)
-Lyn (Fire Emblem)
-Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes)
-Mym (Dragalia Lost)
-Kat (Gravity Rush)
-Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
-Es (X-Blaze / BlazBlue)
-Djeeta as an alt for Gran (Granblue Fantasy)
-Shantae (Shantae series)
-Medusa (Kid Icarus)
-Dixie Kong (DKC 2)
-Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
-Lilac (Freedom Planet 2 specifically)
-Mythra (Xenoblade 2)
-Impa (Hyrule Warriors specifically)
-Amaterasu (Okami)

Not all of them sound realistic, some not even in the slightest. But I'd be happy with just about any of these characters. If I were to single out one in particular I'd want above all of them though, it is definitely 2B. Loved NieR, and 2B was my favorite character from that game.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Completely missed that question due to some stuff I had to attend, but here's mine in case you all want to bash (or not):

• Morrigan
  • KOS-MOS
  • Velvet Crowe
  • Saber (Fate)
  • Athena Asamiya
  • Impa
  • Edelgard
  • Shantae
  • Lyn
  • Pyra/Mythra
And...that's it., My brain couldn't process more, though if any of them got in, I'll just discard this wishlist, and never ask Sakurai for anything ever again.
Morrigan is a great starter to this list. Not only one of my favourite female characters but one of my favourite characters of any gender of last gen. Smash is for good boys and girls though and Dragon Age ain't about that.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I think I had an opifany what if the last character in the pass is Kat from gravity rush with an announcement of gravity rush coming to the switch

D

Deleted member

Anyway I've been wondering, why is this thread focused on DLC in particular? What would you choose if you could choose between a female being added to the base roster and a non-female being the fifth DLC or a non-female being added to the base roster and the fifth DLC being female?
Why not both? The DLC is the only way Smash is getting new content as of right now, so it's best to strike gold. I already got what I wanted in the base roster, but the DLC has so many oppurtunities it cannot miss.

Morrigan is a great starter to this list. Not only one of my favourite female characters but one of my favourite characters of any gender of last gen. Smash is for good boys and girls though and Dragon Age ain't about that.
Well, at least I still have KOS-MOS. Morrigan may come back once they raise the age rating lmao

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You said this wasn't about injecting a sociopolitical agenda. Your recent posts make that statement hard to believe and you seem to forming some kind of victim complex as well in regards to the Fighter Pass.

The Smash devs are not oppressing you. Don't project the wrongs of the world upon them.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I think I had an opifany what if the last character in the pass is Kat from gravity rush with an announcement of gravity rush coming to the switch
Highly unlikely that we will see Gravity Rush leave PlayStation's grasp. But a character isn't out of the question I'd say. Although I'd sooner expect the likes of someone like Kratos, Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake, Jak / Daxter, Ratchet / Clank, Sackboy, Sir Daniel or Sweet Tooth before her.

But man I would drop all of them in a heartbeat for Kat, (or on the impossible side of things, Spider-Man. God that would be one hell of a plot twist, lmao).

D

Deleted member

As for me, if only the devs of Gravity Rush were lenient on getting their character in Smash. Though for one thing, I fear the game balance. nah jk

D

Deleted member

Well they tried to make a "smash" clone and it flopped big time. And this is coming from a guy who played it and bought all the DLC. I think it's an appropriate answer
Even so, it failed to meet the expectations of its buyers.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I would love to see characters like Urbosa, Gardevoir (I know they can be male, but they're usually depicted as females such as in Pokken), Tsareena, Reimu, Lyn, and Ashley be added to the roster. It will be a significant missed opportunity if not at least one DLC character is female.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would love to see characters like Urbosa, Gardevoir (I know they can be male, but they're usually depicted as females such as in Pokken), Tsareena, Reimu Lyn, and Ashley be added to the roster. It will be a significant missed opportunity if not at least one DLC character is female.
And that is why I'm striking as much gold right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom