• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If you believe in the theory that there's infinite parallel universes with slight variations in each, there are universes where instead of Piranha Plant, we got Qwilfish as our off-the-wall character.
I still think there’s a universe where we got ? Block as a fighter.
View attachment 191716
What's that? Can't hear you over the news drought i'm bringing.
3CACDD01-22BA-41FD-883D-AEC0BA0E1924.png

I’m gonna need a couple rain dances to end this drought.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm fairly confident that our first 2 DLC characters will be before E3 lands, not counting Plant.

It just feels like, if Joker/Brave are being worked on right now together, they'd get those two out the door first and then save the BIG guns for E3.

I HIGHLY doubt they'd be like "Here's STEVE from Minecraft!" at E3 and follow up with "Also Erdrick is downloadable today."

Joker and Erdrick will be out before June, calling it now.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
View attachment 191714
Don't mind me, just waiting for Wednesday like the rest of you.
I’ll counter this drought
View attachment 191715
View attachment 191716
What's that? Can't hear you over the news drought i'm bringing.

I’m gonna need a couple rain dances to end this drought.

You two kids stop fighting and behave yourselves or I'm sending you to your rooms early tonight.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Watch that we do get a reveal on Wednesday and turns out "Brave" is Edelgard.

Internet goes into chaos due to inclusion of yet again ANOTHER Fire Emblem character. :p
I always joke that Byleth would be the remaining DLC in all four slots.

Guess one can go to Edelgard and the rest to Byleth.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Actually, this is incorrect. There's 80 characters including PT separated. PT and the 3 Mii Fighters are considered 6 characters altogether as is.
:ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt:= 10
:ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff:=20
:ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth:=30
:ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar:=40
:ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpiranha::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainerf:=50
:ultridley::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultsamus::ultdarksamus:=60
:ultsheik::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer:=70
:ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultzss: + Joker and the 4 unknown DLC Characters = 80

If you replace the :ultpokemontrainer: with :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard: them it goes up to 82 total fighters, but since they’re counted together as 1 character on the css as well as many members of this world, it’s 80

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You see, "brine" is part of my username.

Brine is, basically, saltwater.

So, you have a drought, making the "water" go away...

And then, all you have is salt...

...wait, that makes it sound like I complain about there being no Direct every week...

No I'm usually patient but the rumor is making me hyped since it's from a credible leaker...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
God dammit Twitter, I saw Geno trending and had a complete heart attack thinking he was leaked or had his trailer revealed all of a sudden.

Turns it’s just a sports player...
Speaking of Geno, I genuinely don't know how he'll move forward in future Smash games. He basically had everything in his favor (Smash game focusing on fan-favorites, Sakurai admitting that he wanted Geno, a Mii costume from the previous game, SE content being in the game from the very beginning), yet it seems like he wasn't anything more than an afterthought for a measly Spirit.

I dunno. There's still DLC I guess. Ultimate kind of felt like that "make it or break it" game for Geno, and seeing absence once again feels like Sakurai calmly saying, "I know he's popular, but it probably won't happen".

D

Deleted member

:ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt:= 10
:ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff:=20
:ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth:=30
:ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar:=40
:ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpiranha::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainerf:=50
:ultridley::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultsamus::ultdarksamus:=60
:ultsheik::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer:=70
:ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultzss: + Joker and the 4 unknown DLC Characters = 80

If you replace the :ultpokemontrainer: with :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard: them it goes up to 82 total fighters, but since they’re counted together as 1 character on the css as well as many members of this world, it’s 80
That better go up to 100

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You see, "brine" is part of my username.

Brine is, basically, saltwater.

So, you have a drought, making the "water" go away...

And then, all you have is salt...

...wait, that makes it sound like I complain about there being no Direct every week...

No I'm usually patient but the rumor is making me hyped since it's from a credible leaker...
@TotsBS can have a word about you on how much you should trust "credible leakers".

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard: are literally given their own fighter number. :ultpokemontrainer: is nothing more than a blanket for three unique characters.

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of Geno, I genuinely don't know how he'll move forward in future Smash games. He basically had everything in his favor (Smash game focusing on fan-favorites, Sakurai admitting that he wanted Geno, a Mii costume from the previous game, SE content being in the game from the very beginning), yet it seems like he wasn't anything more than an afterthought for a measly Spirit.

I dunno. There's still DLC I guess. Ultimate kind of felt like that "make it or break it" game for Geno, and seeing absence once again feels like Sakurai calmly saying, "I know he's popular, but it probably won't happen".
Sakurai, "Okay but Geno..."
Square, *Inhales* "....No."

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319

Yeah, I’m kinda suprised he didn’t get in.

Those reasons basically made him a lock in many people’s eyes and yet he didn’t make the roster.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Mark my words, Byleth is going to be 10x more popular of a character the moment they show the female version.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason Edelgarde is so popular already despite the fact that we know almost nothing about her so far.

I'm still confident neither is getting into Smash though.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm fairly confident that our first 2 DLC characters will be before E3 lands, not counting Plant.

It just feels like, if Joker/Brave are being worked on right now together, they'd get those two out the door first and then save the BIG guns for E3.

I HIGHLY doubt they'd be like "Here's STEVE from Minecraft!" at E3 and follow up with "Also Erdrick is downloadable today."

Joker and Erdrick will be out before June, calling it now.
In that case my prediction for release would be.

April: Joker/Erdrick
August: 3rd DLC character
November: 4th DLC character
February: 5th DLC character

Shroob

Sup?
Actually, ****, I can do one better.

To invoke a meme of yesteryear.

*Sakurai points to a door*

Sakurai, "GOOD LORD WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THERE?!"

SE, "The rights to Geno and Mallow going to waste?"

Sakurai, "The...the rights to Geno and Mallow? With this kinda fan demand, with this kinda DLC, localized entirely within Ultimate?"

SE, "Yes!"

Sakurai, "....may I have them?"

SE, "........No."

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Actually, ****, I can do one better.

To invoke a meme of yesteryear.

*Sakurai points to a door*

Sakurai, "GOOD LORD WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THERE?!"

SE, "The rights to Geno and Mallow going to waste?"

Sakurai, "The...the rights to Geno and Mallow? With this kinda fan demand, with this kinda DLC, localized entirely within Ultimate?"

SE, "Yes!"

Sakurai, "....may I have them?"

SE, "........No."
that's it I'm making a Steamed Hams RPG Maker Pokemon thing and an EB hack and no one can stop me.

-anyway I like the meme but Reggie may have killed the idea that Square denied Geno.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

I feel as if Geno support has been slowly dying off since Brawl. Unlike every other popular request, he really didn't do much since the 90s, and that was just one game. As newer faces enter the scene, more and more people will either forget or be completely unaware about Geno's existence. It's not like Isaac where he's in the game, it's not like K. Rool or Ridley where he's from an active franchise as well as having publicity on top of appearing throughout the series, he's just... there.

And quite frankly, I doubt that many younger faces (like me) really care for Geno, and there isn't really much going for him overall. He's from a not as popular Mario game, let alone popular Mario RPG. Like his best time to get in was in Brawl, but after that, tough luck.

Plus, as I said before, I barely saw any Geno campaigning in the Smash 4 era on Miiverse or on Gamefaqs, so that's not good for him.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm still saying surviving not one, not two, but three zombie apocolypses is pretty damn Brave.

Even in the most stressful of situations, some people stay pretty Jill.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I need you to explain yourself because I want to read your opinions on Brawl
Brawl, on its own terms, is a fine game. It has a decent roster, brings together tons of Nintendo franchises, and has a full-fledged story mode. Those who like the game for what it is are totally valid, and I don't mean to discredit their opinions.

That being said, I've seen a lot of people claiming that the reason they hold Brawl to a high regard is that it has a lot of childhood nostalgia for them and / or introduced them to gaming in general. While that's fine and opinions are opinions - it's the reason I hold Super Mario Bros. 3 to such a high regard - I can't exactly say the same about that for me. Firstly, Melee was my first Smash game, and secondly, I kind of already knew what I was getting into when I first played Brawl, since I looked up tons of information on it beforehand. With that in mind, I'm judging this game on its own terms.

My issues with the game start with its art direction. I'm not against to a dark and gritty Smash game and in fact would be interested in seeing that expanded upon in a future release, but the Wii doesn't really showcase it well. Some characters like :snake::link2::falcon::metaknight::rob: look good in this game, but others such as :mario2::luigi2::bowser2::dk2: are just really unpleasing to look at. Even characters that look decent like :kirby2::zerosuitsamus::yoshi2: just look so much better in future installments, which again I attribute to the Wii's poor graphics. Needless to say, I much prefer the cartoony, expressing artstyle of Smash 4 and especially Ultimate. Like I said, I wouldn't be against this artstyle being experimented with again, because I think the technology we have now can make it look really cool and pleasing, but Brawl just doesn't have very pleasing visuals imo.

However, my other big complaint is the gameplay. Now before you write me off as one of those Melee competitive elitists, A) I don't even like Melee that much and B) my dislike for the fighting goes beyond not being on par with the previous game. It's just so. Damn. Slow. Fighting feels oddly unexciting because they're just not interesting to watch. Random tripping is also a huge problem I have with the game, as it completely destroys the flow of battle and leaves yourself open for attack, simply because you rolled the dice and got snake eyes. Perhaps others see something in this slow gameplay that I don't, but it's really just not fun for me at all.

While I do like The Subspace Emissary, I kinda feel it's a good story rather than a good game, if you catch my drift. I loved the cutscenes, the story, and the boss battles, as well as adding new characters to my roster, but I didn't really find myself enjoying many of the levels. The slow gameplay I complained about earlier also hampers my enjoyment here, as it feels especially sluggish in a platformer setting. I don't remember any of the levels vividly aside from the Subspace Bomb Factory and Subspace itself, as well as The Great Maze simply because of how much of a chore it was to complete. There was a perfect opportunity to include memorable locations from Nintendo franchises, but aside from the Halberd, all we get is generic skies, generic grasslands, generic deserts, and generic caves. The lack of memorable elements extends beyond the locations, but also into the enemies. While I like a number of the designs and I like the idea of Smash-original enemies being a new threat, it just wasn't executed well in this game simply because they took up too much of the spotlight. Much like locales, Nintendo-introduced enemies only extend to members of the Koopa Troop plus some of the bosses. Everything just looks dull, bland, and boring... much like the rest of the game.

There's even some minor complaints I have. It always feels like I'm doing the same dang thing whenever I play Classic Mode, and All-Star Mode is monotony incarnate. Aside from :metaknight: and arguably :diddy::popo:, no one really has a lot of clear strengths or useful tools, so they all feel equally bad. There was also a lot of really pointless content that I didn't care about getting, like the Chronicle and Masterpieces (if I wanted to play these old games I have like hundreds of other better ways to play them).

Brawl isn't all downsides, and there are elements of it I do like. It had an excellent selection of newcomers for the time, including all-stars like :warioc::diddy::sonic::dedede::metaknight:, and even some more obscure ones like :pit::lucario::rob: who turned out to be fan favorites. Kid Icarus even got revived! I also like a lot of the stages, such as Halberd, Mario Circuit, Mario Bros., Lylat Cruise, Hanenbow, and I adore its version of Final Destination. I also remember spending countless hours in Coin Launcher, trying to get as many trophies as I could. It introduced Final Smashes, which were a great concept and would go on to become a staple. The soundtrack is also great - Ultimate had a better OST imo, but I always loved Brawl's main theme, and some of its tracks are really good too.

That being said, my complaints with Brawl still outweigh the forgiving elements, and now that we have Smash 4 and especially Ultimate, I really can't recommend this game to someone wanting to get into Smash, unless they're really curious to see what The Subspace Emissary is.

That's my two cents on Brawl anyway.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm still saying surviving not one, not two, but three zombie apocolypses is pretty damn Brave.

Even in the most stressful of situations, some people stay pretty Jill.
That pun...

056B226F-758D-40FB-96FA-04A0FE670A46.gif

In seriousness, the only Resident Evil I’ve really played is 5 so I can’t really judge Jill.

Shroob

Sup?
I wonder what Personas Joker will pull out, or if it'll just be Arsene.

Mara is obviously out for very hard and long reasons.:dr^_^:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Gotta say, I loved Brawl.

I've always been big on the gritty, realistic graphics, so I loved Brawl's style. Sm4sh did take me out of that a bit, but I realize that it's more appropriate for a lot of the more cartoonish members of the cast. Ultimate strikes a nice balance, but I don't like how saturates and opaque many of the effects are.

I really do miss the platforming elements of Smash though. Even Smash Run was loads of fun (it was honestly the most fun thing in all of Sm4sh to me), so the story mode being replaced by event battles does seem like a bit of a let down. Doubly so since there are a number of the spirits I have no idea who they are - without flavor text, they mostly just come off as random powerups.

I've found things I like about each game in the series and it's hard to go back after you got used to the new one. Still, there are some elements from other games that I'm missing in Ultimate and wish would make a return in some fashion.

D

Deleted member

God dammit Twitter, I saw Geno trending and had a complete heart attack thinking he was leaked or had his trailer revealed all of a sudden.

Turns it’s just a sports player...
Watch Geno actually get revealed in the direct and this was all one big coincidence that we could all look back and laugh at.

Except it's not. *cries in a corner*

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Byleth over Edelgard would be disappointing given what little we know now.

We know that Byleth is a sword wielding avatar character. Given the series' track record with playable avatar units, I don't have much faith in Byleth being great from a writing standpoint. Kris was inserted into a story he/she wasn't originally in and hurt the narrative as a result while providing little of interest, and the Corrin worship Fates had took its toll on the writing quality. Robin's the only one who's a decent character (Mark is pretty much a non-entity) and even Robin introduces some narrative issues in Awakening's final act (though he at least has good supports).

Edelgard, meanwhile, has swords, axes, and magic at the very least, and seems to prefer axes over all else. Stylistically she's completely different from the current Fire Emblem cast in Smash as well. Plus her look reminds me of folks like Camus and Pent and that's a damn good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom