• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I have this idea of having him attacking the main character during most of the story, while sitting on his throne. All the enemies the hero faces are actually puppets he's controlling all the way from his castle, and sometimes he'll even cast some spells to directly attack the hero from there, like summoning meteors, freezing an entire location, reviving creatures from the dead, etc. All while just sitting there, so he'd fight the hero personally once they get to his castle.
Appearance wise, I wanted to make him a creepy demon like being, similar to Ryuk (the character on my pfp), but with a more royal theme for his design. He'd also abnormally tall, with long limbs and a slasher smile.
If I'm being honest, that sounds kind of boring. Like a worse Dio during Stardust Crusaders and Battle for Egypt.

You've got to have more variety, and your main villain should be a major threat, but not to the point where they're overpowered like your's (why doesn't the dude just summon infinite meteors?).

If he's demon-like in design, consider having a dark or hellish world of sorts where he presides.

D

Deleted member

He said Brawl had almost no stages as a comparison to Melee. The number of actual stages in each game is irrelevant.
So you're saying 1 of 4 stages being legal as opposed to 1 of 10 [most of which have no business being competitive]
Is irrelevant? Lol

D

Deleted member

I hate when people say Steve has no personality so he can't be in Smash when G&W and Corrin exist.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
it's for nostalgia

next up is suite life vs that's so raven
How can Cory run for president if Moseby won't even let him run in the lobby? Suite Life wins.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So was playing online for a few hours, overall did kinda bad. Even split between victories and losses, but I'm not satisfied, especially when an :ultike: and a :ultlucina: in particular were giving me no breathing room. I'm trying to use :ultdoc: and :ultbowserjr: as effectively as possible but I'm not getting anywhere imo. I hope this was just a bad day or something but I'm starting to doubt my skills as a player.

inb4 "get better mains" comment

D

Deleted member

So you're saying 1 of 4 stages being legal as opposed to 1 of 10 [most of which have no business being competitive]
Is irrelevant? Lol
Yes, it's irrelevant. The truth is that in all games the selection is limited. When we finally get more options, all I hear is "TOO MANY STAGES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Look, you've lost the argument. My displays of pure unadulterated rhetoric skill have foiled your plans, villain.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Please guys.

Do NOT turn this into a Melee vs Ultimate debate.
Melee isn’t even a real Smash game
Because we already know that Ultimate is #1

We just need to find out second place /s
Ultimate first, second is Brawl, then Melee, then Smash 4 (3DS bring a bit better than the Wii U version), then 64
>Melee better then Ultimate.

Kek.
Brawl shall always be no.2 and Melee no.3
BTW, Brawl had the best batch of newcomers until Ultimate, don't @ me.
You Right...though 4 had :ultpalutena::ultrosalina: (wins for me), Brawl had :ultsonic:...he alone made Brawl have a better newcomer list...until Ultimate brought :ultpiranha:

D

Deleted member

Yes, it's irrelevant. The truth is that in all games the selection is limited. When we finally get more options, all I hear is "TOO MANY STAGES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Look, you've lost the argument. My displays of pure unadulterated rhetoric skill have foiled your plans, villain.
Ok Doctor Dracken have fun wasting Sheko

I know this makes no sense to some people.

D

Deleted member

Melee doesn't have Coin Launcher, so Brawl wins automatically. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Why Ultimate is by far better then Melee.

Ultimate: 80 playable characters
Melee: 25 playable characters

Isn't it obvious?

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Brawl is one of my least favorite games of all time for a number of reasons, but I'm not the biggest fan of Melee either since its gameplay is a bit too fast for me to get used to. It wasn't until Smash 4 I REALLY got into the series.

Alias Tex

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3796-7058-8396
On the subject of Halberd, it really is a stage worth evaluating, but it certainly isn’t a good fit for every rule set.

For one thing, Halberd has benefited a lot from hazards off. Thanks to the cannon and bomb being removed, it has zero random elements, which are probably the only objectively disqualifying factor. In addition, the stage has had its blast zones reworked - to the point where its once infamously small ceiling is now well above average!

In addition, it as a “traveling stage” is functionally much different from other traveling stages. While many people cite the walk off (that lasts 12 seconds at the start of the match and never returns) as being its fatal flaw, Halberd’s walkoff actually plays against the reason why walkoffs are ban worthy in the first place. 1.) Walkoffs remove edgeguarding, which some characters blatantly depend on to be viable, and 2.) Walkoffs encourage camping, because to advance against a player near the edge is to risk dying early, while challenging a player holding center stage makes you more likely to die. Either way, aproaching doesn’t work.

Halberd, however, flips the script into a king-of-the-hill situation. Because in a mere 12 seconds the stage is reduced to the semi-soft platform, a player who isn’t willing to fight for stage control concedes a free edge guard or ledge trap right at the start of the game. Now the situation is reversed. Likewise, the walkoff really doesn’t hurt ledgeguarding because it never facors in at any time other than at low percents and ledgeguarding is arguably even stronger than normal after takeoff.

In addition, Halberd plays with the semi soft layout in a number of interesting ways. Firstly, it is important to note that the stage goes from a small semi soft to a large monoplat with walls. Sharking (which, according to our discussion on the stage list thread is only really viable situationally for Meta Knight and not sustainable with any other character) isn’t even possible during the somewhat lengthy docked period. Characters that like large stages, small stages, sharking, wall jumps, etc. are all going to have a love/hate relationship with this stage.

All of this being said, Halberd is objectively the most interesting contender that we have for a stage slot. At the same time, though, there are two factors that make it not a universally usable stage. Firstly, the rule set philosophy. Halberd is more suited to be a counterpick than anything else, and so lists that are very conservative / want the stage list to be very neutral don’t have much business with it. TOs who want to make widely appealing stage lists are likely to exclude it even though the only possible “jank” element it still has are the transformation sequences. (IMO, the moving pieces are completely fair, predictable and discreet and thus get a welcome pass in light of the stage’s other promising features, but that won’t go over well with everyone.) Further, stages that have polarizing elements such as Halberd can really throw off stage list balance if there aren’t many bans or if stage is selected before character.

To surmise, Halberd has become a much more viable stage choice and is promising as a counter pick. It won’t work well on all rule sets, however, and therefore its legality is going to come down to public perception and what stage selection factors we settle on. So if you want to help evaluate the potential of Ultimate’s stage list, come join the stage list discussion thread!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Isn't it obvious?
26. Zelda and Sheik may share a slot, but barely anyone plays them by using transformations. They're effectively played separately, even more than Pokemon Trainer sometimes was(btw, Ultimate has 80 characters including Pokemon Trainer, who shares one slot just like Zelda/Sheik do. Kind of makes no sense to apply them differently).

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Aaaaaand now Youtube is recommending me a video about Zelda's feet. I thought I escaped that nonsense when I dropped Corrin, jeeze.

Maybe next time I need to pick up a character without feet, like Robin.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Isn't it obvious?
The only reason needed
Brawl is one of my least favorite games of all time for a number of reasons, but I'm not the biggest fan of Melee either since its gameplay is a bit too fast for me to get used to. It wasn't until Smash 4 I REALLY got into the series.
I need you to explain yourself because I want to read your opinions on Brawl

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
26. Zelda and Sheik may share a slot, but barely anyone plays them by using transformations. They're effectively played separately, even more than Pokemon Trainer sometimes was(btw, Ultimate has 80 characters including Pokemon Trainer, who shares one slot just like Zelda/Sheik do. Kind of makes no sense to apply them differently).
Being Zelda/Sheik at that time were the same character. I count it as 25.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Technically Ultimate will have 82 fighters when the PT Pokémon are separated, so he’s right about Ultimate having 80 and Melee having 25 (combining the Pokémon and Zelda/Sheik), while you’d be right about the games having 82 against 26 (separated)
Especially given we got characters like these.

:ultkrool::ultridley:

How can that be argued?
Answer is...you can’t argue

Shroob

Sup?
Those things are the most important things to us here if you want a more casual community go to reddit.
Define here, because I'd wager almost everyone in this thread at the moment plays Smash casually and looks at the game from a casual perspective. I don't think you have any right to gatekeep the community.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Being Zelda/Sheik at that time were the same character. I count it as 25.
Pokemon Trainer are the same, but counted separately officially.

They were always officially separate characters in Melee. Just tied to a slot and a mechanic. It's the same reason Sakurai outright said Brawl has 39 characters(despite there being 35 slots). Transformations just become another full character. Also, the fact Zelda and Sheik get played separately almost all the time in actual competitive play(cause Zelda is just that bad), it's pretty much 26. Funny thing is later games removed the things that attempted to define the character "number' as much. Like having separate Target Tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom