• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The only game I have to tide me over until my Switch gets here is Mario Kart 8 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do you have time for our lord and savior Resident Evil?

It plays in your Wii U and everything.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Not clear as day, but there are verying levels of blurriness.
These are slightly blurry but not enough to mask anything up.
Yeah, I was gonna say that it's odd how the only true image leak was the Ken one, and it's very clear. The trouble is that Ken's art style looks kind of odd in that picture. He looks unfinished. Plus, Ken was one of the safest bets for characters, so it's not like it meant much in the grand scheme of things.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I remember PapaGeno’s sources backing up the Grinch leak so that’s a hard doubt from me
His source actually had their own source, and that source was only sure about Banjo-Kazooie as DLC and also heard Incineroar (somehow?), but thought the Grinch Leak could be real so they tried to theorize how it'd work out.

also we have IndieGamerChick's info.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So can someone give me a run down of all the hints about a direct we've gotten?

I know someone was talking about a Captain Falcon game? Anything else?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Yeah, I was gonna say that it's odd how the only true image leak was the Ken one, and it's very clear. The trouble is that Ken's art style looks kind of odd in that picture. He looks unfinished. Plus, Ken was one of the safest bets for characters, so it's not like it meant much in the grand scheme of things.
I think that was one of the funniest things about this speculation cycle. A totally legit leak, with a perfectly clear picture and complete impossibility to debunk...and everyone was pretty much "Meh, whatever. He's a safe guess." Very few people were actually hyped or disappointed by it. It was the most legit leak we've had, and nobody gave a ****.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think that was one of the funniest things about this speculation cycle. A totally legit leak, with a perfectly clear picture and complete impossibility to debunk...and everyone was pretty much "Meh, whatever. He's a safe guess." Very few people were actually hyped or disappointed by it. It was the most legit leak we've had, and nobody gave a ****.
It disappeared after a day. That's how little we cared.

Poor Ken.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Just goes to show how much leaks can take away from a reveal, or in this case, a legit image leak.

Ken was so obvious of a choice by that point, no one gave a **** about him b/c people were more concerned over other characters.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I think there’s two reasons why I believed the Grinch leak and solidified it as real.

-Everyone is Here

-:ultridley: & :ultkrool:

Those two factors gave a lot of impression it was indeed gonna be the “Ultimate” Smash Bros.

Bringing every character in history while two of the most requested of all time would’ve sounded too good to be true to everyone prior E3.

Now with Banjo, Geno, Shadow, & Isaac?
That sounded too good to be true as well, it came across like a dream wishlist to some people but the fact they went out of their to do the impossible with every returning veteran and the long-requested reptile villains along with stating that Simon, Dark Samus, and Chrom we’re also highly requested characters.

It really wasn’t that hard to expect more hype out of the same game that delivered more then 50 characters, 103 stages, and over 900 tracks.

If this was an average Smash sequel, I’ve would’ve went 100% fake on the Grinch leak.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Eh, Ken's trailer was still worth it. I can't say how much I wanted that leak to be true, even without prior confirmation. Just didn't want Ryu to be alone from his series.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Let's be real, here
People only care about leaks, if they involve highly requested characters

That's probably one of the bigger reasons why the Grinch Leak even took off...
If it didn't have Isaac, Geno, or Banjo, everyone would have ignored it

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Let's be real, here
People only care about leaks, if they involve highly requested characters

That's probably one of the bigger reasons why the Grinch Leak even took off...
Eh, I dunno.

If a real leak had someone like Monokuma, it would've been discussed. But Ken was such an obvious choice who had been discussed to death no one cared anymore.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I think the Smash speculation cycle is what made me want the ability to see into the future first.

D

Deleted member

I honestly wouldn't mind if it's not Erdrick, but the in game data, and plethora of leakers, and Yuusha/Brave definitely make me believe it's Erdrick.

At this point, if it's not Erdrick, I'll be more surprised than anything, simply because it'll have been one of the biggest bamboozles ever.
Well I would actually say that it wouldn't be THAT big of a deal, considering most legit leakers have it pinned down at "it's probably erdrick" rather then "it's erdrick"

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
That’s what I liked about Ken.

He was a true neutral character, Grinch or Box, real or fake leak, he was getting in anyway and we all knew he was a lock.

No one cared or was surprised about Ken, no disappointment or hype.

Just Ken.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I remember people saying the Ken leak could be like the Palutena leak in Smash 4, or they just said it was fake anyway.

also some guy on 4chan trying to act like he made the Ken render for an old school project, then he photoshopped it over Moray Towers.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I was always neutral on the Grinch leak, from beginning to end. I was mainly hoping for it to be true, so that all the highly requested characters were in and not an obstacle for the DLC characters I wanted.

Shadow was the only one I really wanted to be in. Isaac and Banjo we've been nice bonuses too.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If it's not Erdrick. I won't be surprised at all.

You don't have someone that iconic leak from a company who was able to hide lesser gaming favs like Noctis and 2B leak THAT far in advanced.

If they were adding a godfather of JRPGS they'd be a little less cavalier about the fact he's been known for a god damn year and a half.

I either think leakers and insiders just assumed Erdrick cause he makes a lot of sense or just got wires crossed somewhere and there's NO Square character.

Because the alternative is that Square used a beloved character in Japan to bombard everyone with someone else and I can't see them doing that. That'd be a big middle finger to Japan and Dragon Quest fans.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hey Wademan94 Wademan94 , how as that crossover idea coming along? Did any of those ideas come back to you?

___

The Grinch memes can still be funny but I still kinda hate that the leak was created to begin with.

The leak tore the fanbase to shreds with how the wars it started. It was freaking toxic, and in the end ultimately turned out to be one massive, convincing and convoluted fake anyway. Did anything good come out of it? Will it help brace people for similar incidents in the future and give more people greater incentive to be skeptical of future high-quality leaks? I sure hope so. Because otherwise all it did was spark flame wars and cause people to insult each other over attempts to prove and disprove it.

D

Deleted member

I was always neutral on the Grinch leak, from beginning to end. I was mainly hoping for it to be true, so that all the highly requested characters were in and not an obstacle for the DLC characters I wanted.

Shadow was the only one I really wanted to be in. Isaac and Banjo we've been nice bonuses too.
TEAM HMM GANG TEAM HMM GANG

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
At this point I half expect the Heavy from TF2 to get in just to really throw a curveball into speculation.

D

Deleted member

I remember PapaGeno’s sources backing up the Grinch leak so that’s a hard doubt from me
Papagenos in one of his videos explaining his source has said that there's a chain of Info with a very credible person reaching out to them and telling him that he knows of Banjo's inclusion and that guy's source only knew of Banjo and suspected that they were DLC.

Before the Grinch Leak they believed that Box theory was true and that Banjo was DLC, when the Grinch came out him and his sources were only theorizing on how it could fit with Banjo being in Base and how his source has heard those characters plus Incineroar.

Sometime during somebody brought up Indiegamerchick and Xbox live on switch (who now has heavily hinted towards Banjo being DLC and that they knew of Xbox live since May-March of last year.) That's the run down for ya.

Tldr; They initially believed that the Box theory was correct and only after the Grinch leak were they Speculating that it might be true cause of the guy's insider source both having proof of Banjo and have heard of those characters plus Incineroar. Now they're back to square one with believing that Banjo might be DLC.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
At this point I half expect the Heavy from TF2 to get in just to really throw a curveball into speculation.
Valve doesn't like to share their characters with the consoles now. Even if some of the games have appeared on consoles.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I just got unnecessary flashbacks from a couple days ago, where we arguing over a simple text leak posted on 4chan, that contained him as the character after Joker...

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
See? Steve's popular!

. . .

He's popular, dang it!
Steve is more polarizing than anything else.

You got people that legitimately want him, people who don't want him, and people who just want him for the lulz.

Except here, all the sides seem much more evenly split than normal.

D

Deleted member

That’s what I liked about Ken.

He was a true neutral character, Grinch or Box, real or fake leak, he was getting in anyway and we all knew he was a lock.

No one cared or was surprised about Ken, no disappointment or hype.

Just Ken.
No one thought that ken was a lock but everyone knew Dark Samus was coming

D

Deleted member

See? Steve's popular!

. . .

He's popular, dang it!
Admittedly Steve is very popular everywhere else except for the Smash Community which has a very polarizing stance on him as half of the Community want Banjo as the Microsoft rep and the other want Steve. So yeah He's quite popular.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Hey Wademan94 Wademan94 , how as that crossover idea coming along? Did any of those ideas come back to you?

___

The Grinch memes can still be funny but I still kinda hate that the leak was created to begin with.

The leak tore the fanbase to shreds with how the wars it started. It was freaking toxic, and in the end ultimately turned out to be one massive, convincing and convoluted fake anyway. Did anything good come out of it? Will it help brace people for similar incidents in the future and give more people greater incentive to be skeptical of future high-quality leaks? I sure hope so. Because otherwise all it did was spark flame wars and cause people to insult each other over attempts to prove and disprove it.
I still utterly detest whoever made it, because I can tell it wasn’t a prank.

It was a scheme.

A giant scheme against the Smash community to tear everyone apart, causing fights, harrassment against insiders and get Team Real’s hopes only for them to get disappointed and blame Sakurai for not delivering their desires, Team Fake won but was there really any real award for them aside from gloating rights?

I too hope we don’t get another mess like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom